Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,281 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:10 AM

In Support Of Kenyan Electoral Violence - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / In Support Of Kenyan Electoral Violence (5775 Views)

Poll: How different are African elections from those of other continents

same: 9% (2 votes)
slightly defective: 9% (2 votes)
very different: 22% (5 votes)
atrocious: 18% (4 votes)
no elections in Africa: 40% (9 votes)
This poll has ended

Nigerian Pastor Sucks Breasts Of Kenyan Women For Deliverance / Nigerians March In Support Of Troops Fighting Against Boko Haram / Fayose Mocks Buhari For Calling INEC Independent Nigeria Electoral Commission (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

In Support Of Kenyan Electoral Violence by bibiking1(m): 9:23pm On Jan 04, 2008
The tragedy of Kenya is an undiluted product of the sit-tight mentality that African leadership have come to represent. When Joaquim Alberto Chissano became the first winner of the Mo Ibrahim prize for achievement in African leadership, I was very skeptical as to the ability of the award to produce at the most three more African leaders who can effectively match-up to the exploits of the former Mozambican leader.
The criteria with which candidates were selected for the award are based on Promotion of the rule of law, Economic opportunity, Political freedom, promotion of the rule of law, offering security to citizens amongst others. I honestly believe it would be easier finding a missing padlock in the middle of the Atlantic than finding a leader in Africa with these qualifications at present.
Well! My cynicism is being given life in the form of Mwai Kibaki of Kenya, who at present is attempting to carry forward the life-long gene of “sit-tightism” that has hitherto clamped down on any form of progress in the Continent of Africa.
Recently I read in the papers that Algerian president Abdelaziz Bouteflika was contemplating making a constitutional amendment that will enable him run for an extended term in office, there is also the case of Robert Mugabe of Zimbabawe who has been the only leader the southern African country has known. Mugabe has spent all his youthful effort, which could have been used in uplifting his country, fighting resistance to his ambition of being life-president. He is the African enigma that has eluded comprehension. His case is made more astonishing, in that fellow African leaders seem to care less if he is killing his people or not. Foreign presidents have called for the removal of the “Beast of Rhodesia”, yet surprisingly no African leader has thought it wise to lend a voice in that respect.
The much respected South African leader, Thabo Mbeki also initiated a rather lame attempt at perpetuating himself in office, this was quickly done away with as the people rather accept an accused rapist that a man slowly I becoming inebriated with power.
We cannot so easily have forgotten how our own Olusegun Obasanjo right in the full glare of the Nigerian public sought to extend his tyranny by yet another four years, but his political opponents were able to whip up enough sentiment to stall his evil attempt.
There are also rumors that President John Kuffour of Ghana is also about to join the “league of extraordinarily ungentlemen”, as he is already harboring intention to extend his stay in office beyond the stipulated date.
All over Africa this crazy trend seems to exist where there is a seat of power. The continent has become known for its awkward leadership style and governmental approach rather than for anything else. This malaise is slowly spreading to the lower cadre of leadership in the continent.
We witnessed during the last general election in the country as Governors used their power of incumbency to perpetuate their stay in office very much against the intentions and wishes of their people.  Local government chairmen, councilors, even heads of government established commissions not wanting to leave office even when events stipulate they do so. Why will Ribadu want to cling unto the position of Head of the EFCC if not because of this same problem?
In total honesty, The elections that were conducted in Kenya where no worse than that which Maurice Iwu and his assembly of diabolic fraudsters organized right here in Nigeria. But what I find interesting and I dare say commendable is the Kenyan people’s will and desire not to be taken for a political ride anymore.
Unlike the Nigerian experience, the Kenyan people decided to fight for their freedom, they stood up against the powers of the incumbent who had decided to subvert their will and wishes.
They chose not to murmur and grumble in their reticence, they decided for the sake of their future generations not to allow evil claim any form of space on the pedestal of their history.
They decided to stand up for the sake of morality against the enthronement of slavery; they chose to put their destinies in their hands. They decided to control the manner in which they will be ruled. They sought for a government of the people, by the people and for the people.
It is unfortunate lives were lost, more so innocent blood, but that was all the result of Mwai Kibaki’s devious intention to remain in power against the wishes of Majority of the electorate.
The attention of the world has now been drawn to the extensive evil that has been wrought in the country largely because the people decided to take a stand for their future. There is a popular saying that says; “if you don’t stand for anything you will fall for anything”. We fell for anything in the country, while the Kenyans stood up for something.
Re: In Support Of Kenyan Electoral Violence by babasin(m): 12:22am On Jan 05, 2008
In total honesty, The elections that were conducted in Kenya where no worse than that which Maurice Iwu and his assembly of diabolic fraudsters organized right here in Nigeria. But what I find interesting and I dare say commendable is the Kenyan people’s will and desire not to be taken for a political ride anymore.
Unlike the Nigerian experience, the Kenyan people decided to fight for their freedom, they stood up against the powers of the incumbent who had decided to subvert their will and wishes.
They chose not to murmur and grumble in their reticence, they decided for the sake of their future generations not to allow evil claim any form of space on the pedestal of their history.
They decided to stand up for the sake of morality against the enthronement of slavery; they chose to put their destinies in their hands. They decided to control the manner in which they will be ruled. They sought for a government of the people, by the people and for the people.
It is unfortunate lives were lost, more so innocent blood, but that was all the result of Mwai Kibaki’s devious intention to remain in power against the wishes of Majority of the electorate.
The attention of the world has now been drawn to the extensive evil that has been wrought in the country largely because the people decided to take a stand for their future. There is a popular saying that says; “if you don’t stand for anything you will fall for anything”. We fell for anything in the country, while the Kenyans stood up for something.

ummm, yes. it does make some sense: Kibaki is now ready for new election.

and they will never attempt to RIG anymore. they know the damage that could be done.

However for Nigeria, its different. We have MONEY. LIQUID CASH.

Thats why you will never see such, people will shout and once they get CASH; all don cool down
Re: In Support Of Kenyan Electoral Violence by oldie(m): 12:33am On Jan 05, 2008
We don't have opposition in Nigeria
There are two parties. PDP in government and PDP out of government alias AC!
Re: In Support Of Kenyan Electoral Violence by Nobody: 12:38am On Jan 05, 2008
oldie:

We don't have opposition in Nigeria
There are two parties. PDP in government and PDP out of government alias AC!

Why do you think PDP is regarded as Africa's largest party? grin
Re: In Support Of Kenyan Electoral Violence by Iman3(m): 12:43am On Jan 05, 2008
The violence in Kenya is of an ethnic nature,Luo attacking Kikuyu tribesmen and vice versa.Of course,if ethnic violence ensued in Nigeria after the 2007 elections,that might have brought the world's attention on our deplorable electoral process, but at what price?

How is Raila Odinga any different from Kibaki.Are the lives of hundreds of innocent citizens worth putting a man,who is as much a part of the corrupt elite as any,into power?

Kenya has lost hundreds of citizens,that is child's play compared to the loss of confidence and trust between the various ethnic groups.If the violence was a medicine intended to cure the ailment of electoral rigging,I am afraid,the medicine is worse than the disease.
Re: In Support Of Kenyan Electoral Violence by Nobody: 12:46am On Jan 05, 2008
I-man, do you suggest they keep quiet and allow Kibaki morph into another Mugabe?
Re: In Support Of Kenyan Electoral Violence by Iman3(m): 1:31am On Jan 05, 2008
Most of the violence has simply been one of ethnic genocide-hundreds dead and a 100,000 refugees.I have no problem with people conducting anti-Govt demonstrations but killing innocent people and burning down churches full of civilians is hardly going to help anybody.
Re: In Support Of Kenyan Electoral Violence by darfur(m): 1:53am On Jan 05, 2008
300 people dead is too much a price for any form of liberty . . . . that may even install another ''rogue in power''. the people could have used other means . . . .such as, total strikes, no transport, market, no banks, no schools, sit at homes for days, weeks, months etc the govt would break down and the leaders will talk.

the fighting is like chopping of your nose to spite your face. too expensive. also, note that african leaders dont care much about riots and loss of lives. . . . remember nigeria in I993, if not that abacha died, hundred million dead nigerians wont make him change his mind. but a complete govt breakdown can force the govt to negotiate at least.

africa na wa o.
Re: In Support Of Kenyan Electoral Violence by Priscila(f): 6:05am On Jan 05, 2008
Where did democracy go in Africa? Most presidents after clinching power they taste power hence arrogance and dictatorship. Kibaki is pretending to be Kenyas President when actually Raila Odinga ousted him and now he is using his powers of president to impose himself on people.They have a poor constitution I bet

He can't even explain it himself! Raila Odinga has 100 ODM party parliament seats while his loose coalition of many small small parties could only afford 36 seats. As if not enough his former cabinet was all voted out including vice president and when the country was striking the guy retreatred to statehouse for a night swearing in ceremony. The guests were  senior military officers and all his last poll rejected cabinet and the worst is they were in a rush that they dint raise Kenyan flag or even sing national anthem! Plus no diplomant was present.what a shame to Kenya when we thought they were more democratic than other african countries. The worst  still is that Electoral commissioner Samuel Kivuitu declared him president under siege  despite concrete evidence of inflated figures for Kibaki and he later confessed  that he did not know if Kibaki won.He has finally admitted to having his officers altering results and inflating them infact in 48 central constituencies the voters were  estimated as 150 percent for Kibaki.

How do you even explain this? all the largest provinces that's
Riftvalley  with 3,000,000  registered voters.Turnout was 2,000,000. 1,599,007 went to Odinga.
Westen province voter turnout was 1,300,000. Odinga got 986,045
Coast province turnout 1,436,980. Odinga got 893,098
Nyanza province home ground for Raila voter turnout 2,000,000. Raila got 1,599,000
North  eastern province voter turnout 120,000 Raila 87,000
Nairobi province capital center-this has eight constituencies and 5 parliament seats are for ODM and still Odinga won here in votes. turnout 1,780,002 Raila got 754,097. the remaing votes shared by other 7 presidential candidates.

Now Central province Kibakis strongholds, voter turnout 2,000,000 Kibaki got 1,788,000
Eastern province with 1,800 000 turnout Kibaki got  1,050,000.( KIbaki has become a president because of two provinces) am laughing my head off about african politics. provinces he won in two got 36 parliament seats and he is a president.

Odinga won in 5 provinces out of 8 with 101 parliament seats and somebody wants him to be in opposition. Final tallying revealed Kibaki had 4,533,008. Raila 4,348,980,Kalonzo-807,005 and others.Its 
rather absurd. Kibaki got a maximum of three million votes and Odinga had over four point five. Its very unfair to say the least.

Thats why Kenyans reacted in that violence manner. Whoever said here that its Luo and Kikuyu he is mistaken. Kenya has 42 tribes and all 40 except two Kikuyu(central) and Meru(eatsern voted for Raila.
Kenya is crying blood because of a greedy man with self egos who has no remorse that people are dying and instead of dialogue he has turned kenya into a police state threatening  opposition with dire consequences and also he has denied them media coverage as he has suspended live coverage.

The European Union observers have dismissed the tallying process and other dignatrories say it was flawed.In this whole world its only Museven of Uganda who congratulated him reasons you all know that he also rigged himself to power. raila is the kenyan peoples democratic choice and Kibaki knows thats why he can only take refuge at statehouse
Re: In Support Of Kenyan Electoral Violence by Priscila(f): 6:07am On Jan 05, 2008
International and independent investigators have to save Kenya from such anarchy plus Africa as a whole
Re: In Support Of Kenyan Electoral Violence by debosky(m): 6:25am On Jan 05, 2008
Its very sad I tell you. . .the end result of this is the boiling over of ethnic distrust and hatred. If anything, Nigeria has become more 'sophisticated' than that - In the last two elections, both candidates came from one tribe, thus eliminating the risk of tribal rancour leading to violence.

A friend of mine in Kenya just DAYS AGO cry was telling me how good life was in Kenya, how many people were coming back to the country in droves from the West to settle home, saying they could get the best of living right there at home with no need to go elsewhere. . . in a twinkling of an eye they are sleeping with sporadic gunshots being fired everywhere!

500-1000 man mobs are setting up roadblocks, people being ejected from university quarters and buildings because of their tribe. . .local police supporting violence on both sides. cry

The accounts are truly staggering, Kenya was more stable than most and has rarely had this kind of ethnic bloodletting. Kibaki in one fell swoop throws a prosperous beacon of Africa right back into the cesspool of tribal killings and ultimate distrust, all in the name of sitting tight?

I am glad that the opposition flatly refused to accept results, to tell their supporters to calm down in the name of 'ending the violence' probably would not have worked - these tensions seemed pent up and this huge straw broke the camel's back. Even the electoral chiefs have said they do not know who won! undecided

This is one of the flaws of electoral systems - the president chose a date for the vote SO CLOSE to the end of his term, so any cheating would not have any time to be investigated before him being sworn in. Why must the president have such powers anyways? At least in Nigeria INEC sets the date and the constitution spells out how close to the end of a term they can be held.

Lets pray for Kenya - a prosperous nation days ago having half a million displaced people - I hope it does not turn into another Rwanda or Biafran war.
Re: In Support Of Kenyan Electoral Violence by bibiking1(m): 7:29am On Jan 05, 2008
Lets pray for Kenya - a prosperous nation days ago having half a million displaced people - I hope it does not turn into another Rwanda or Biafran war.

the prayer should be for Africa as a whole, we should however notice that a people stood up for their rights and thats whats most important to me anyway
Re: In Support Of Kenyan Electoral Violence by Priscila(f): 8:00am On Jan 05, 2008
Its better Kenyans die now while protecting their right rather than being cowards and their state turns to dictatorship like Mugabes. Afterall Peace always comes after a violent show thats how colonialists were fought out of Africa
.They have shown solidarity and if one has nothing to die for then there is no reason to live. That violent reaction is a justified show!
Its not a matter of prayers now!leaders like Kibaki should forever belong in political asylums.Tainting Africans image all over.Infamy!
Re: In Support Of Kenyan Electoral Violence by Mustay(m): 8:17am On Jan 05, 2008
I think the fight is losing its focus; why kill innocenties for Kibaki.

The killings look like a rwandian saga.

In as much as the elections are similar to Bush's first election, americans dint have to massacre themselves for their future
Re: In Support Of Kenyan Electoral Violence by folem: 8:32am On Jan 05, 2008
The supporters of election violence will cry the most when it is waged against them, their family and ethnic group.

Nigeria has passed the stage of Kenya at least for now but there is a possibility that we can also fall victim on a National scale afterall there were post election violence in Osun State in 2007. The Power rotation that we use now makes ethnic violence unpopular because in 1999 it was OBJ vs Falae and in 2007 it was Yar' Adua vs Buhari vs Atiku and if there was any violence the other ethnic groups will just siddon look.
Re: In Support Of Kenyan Electoral Violence by Mustay(m): 8:43am On Jan 05, 2008
the US and co would 've wanted Naija to go thru this stage after the 07 elections tongue
Re: In Support Of Kenyan Electoral Violence by bibiking1(m): 8:57am On Jan 05, 2008
Mustay:

the US and co would 've wanted Naija to go through this stage after the 07 elections tongue

lets leave the West out of this!
Re: In Support Of Kenyan Electoral Violence by Priscila(f): 9:15am On Jan 05, 2008
Comparing US and Kenya is like comparing an elephant and a mouse the only similarity is that they both have tails.
And  to my surprise thats what Kibaki government is backing on saying that even Bush rigged.they are so misguided!

Now Kibaki told Desmond Tutu in a peace talk recently that he could not stand the humiliation being the only president in Africa to be ousted after only one term and with his foot in mouth he said he is ready to form a coalition government with ODM who are majority in parliament so long as his PNU is recognised as governing party.He could as well have postponed elections insteadof wasting resources just to lead people to death.

Someone deliberately steals an election to start negotiations. Phew!
Re: In Support Of Kenyan Electoral Violence by ono(m): 9:19am On Jan 05, 2008
Priscila:

Comparing US and Kenya is like comparing an elephant and a mouse the only similarity is that they both have tails.
And to my suprise thats what Kibaki government is backing on saying that even Bush rigged.

Now Kibaki told Desmond Tutu in a peace talk recently that he could not stand the humiliation being the only president in Africa to be ousted after only one term and with foot in mouth he said he is ready to form a coalition government with ODM who are majority in parliament so long as his PNU is recognised as governing party.

Someone deliberately steals an election to start negotiations. Phew!

Kibaki said that?! Whither Africa?
Re: In Support Of Kenyan Electoral Violence by ono(m): 9:29am On Jan 05, 2008
I always knew we'll get to this sorry pass in Kenya. At the time I read about the wife's behaviour in public and I believe at home, I knew Kenya's in for some ''shakings''. What's so difficult in loosing and accepting defeat? - It must be ''free money'' from tourism activities in the country. . . . , . just like ''oily'' money's keeping Najia leaders from leaving when their time's over.
Re: In Support Of Kenyan Electoral Violence by bibiking1(m): 9:40am On Jan 05, 2008
It is a stupid ego problem!

The same ego that Obasanjo effused when he blatantly denied ever having anything to do with his third term plan. We all know better.

Most African leaders have this ego problem.

Another problem o foresee is South Africa
Re: In Support Of Kenyan Electoral Violence by Priscila(f): 10:03am On Jan 05, 2008
abi!even rigging requires some intelligence!
Re: In Support Of Kenyan Electoral Violence by bibiking1(m): 11:58am On Jan 05, 2008
Priscilla tell them jare!
Re: In Support Of Kenyan Electoral Violence by babasin(m): 2:14pm On Jan 05, 2008
300 people dead is too much a price for any form of liberty .

OBJ wiped-out ODI village and not happened!
Re: In Support Of Kenyan Electoral Violence by Iman3(m): 2:33pm On Jan 05, 2008
Thats why Kenyans reacted in that violence manner. Whoever said here that its Luo and Kikuyu he is mistaken. Kenya has 42 tribes and all 40 except two Kikuyu(central) and Meru(eatsern voted for Raila.

Are you saying the Kikuyu haven't been specially targeted? I know that there are 40+ ethnic groups but the Luo and the Kikuyu seem to be the main actors in this mayhem,partly due to the fact that the 2 contenders are from those 2 groups.

Its unfortunate Kibaki rigged the election but there is absolutely no justification for targeting ordinary people,conducting ethnic cleansing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/7172038.stm#map

Attempts are continuing in Kenya to solve the crisis which erupted after last week's disputed election. Hundreds of people have been killed in the largely inter-tribal violence which followed.

Mobs of youths belonging to tribes that had united under Raila Odinga had rampaged through the slum, picking out Kikuyu properties and setting them on fire.

She set off with a friend, a Kikuyu, and they drove towards the town. Soon after they took the Eldoret turning off the Naivasha-Kisumu road they encountered their first road block.

It was manned by four or five youths. Lucy said none of them looked more than 14 or 15 years old.

"Are there any Kikuyus in your car?" the boys asked. "If so we will kill them."

Lucy turned back to Nairobi.

In Kangemi, Martin says there is now a backlash aimed at his tribe and others who did not vote for President Kibaki.

If the above is okay by your reckoning because Kibaki rigged the elections,obviously this is the root of Africa's problem.
Re: In Support Of Kenyan Electoral Violence by bibiking1(m): 3:22pm On Jan 05, 2008
@I-man
in as much as it is disheartening to know that it had to come to this, you must also realise that the price for freedom is not in dollars and cents, or milk and honey!
South Africa paid for it with red crimsom blood of children, fathers, mothers and even babies.
America paid for it with that same crimson liquid.
history has always shown us that if ever Freedom is to come to a people, it has to be through hard fought victories.

I sympathise with what is happening in Kenya right now, but mark my words those are a people that will surely be free!
Re: In Support Of Kenyan Electoral Violence by mrpataki(m): 3:33pm On Jan 05, 2008
If Kenyans are going to fight for their right, let them do just that. History will justify their actions.
Re: In Support Of Kenyan Electoral Violence by Iman3(m): 3:37pm On Jan 05, 2008
@bibiking

You miss the point. What has ethnic killings got to do with fighting against electoral injustice? Did the Americans turn against each other in their bid for independence?

You can have demonstrations against the Govt,civil disobedience,industrial action,e.t.c but simply targeting a certain tribe because they voted for the President doesn't further the cause of democracy.
Re: In Support Of Kenyan Electoral Violence by bibiking1(m): 3:50pm On Jan 05, 2008
everything!
are you forgetting the American civil war? the confederates?

besides they will surely find their answers when it all settles,
the truth is this tragedy will surely soothe, the latent sores that had existed in that society.
Unlike Nigeria where we keep all our vengeance in a lump of malice waiting to burst open one day, these people have dug deep and are now extricating the ghost of yesteryears that seeks to exterminate a future.

The ethnic undertone to this struggle is not the most important part, t

the genesis was a people's desire to resist imposition and tyranny.
something we Nigerians know little about
Re: In Support Of Kenyan Electoral Violence by Iman3(m): 4:02pm On Jan 05, 2008
The American civil war is different from ethnic cleansing.Going around finding members of a particular ethnic group to rape and kill has never been the best way to fight injustice.

If raping and killing where what Africa needed,we would be the most prosperous continent at the moment.

The genesis may have been a desire to resist tyranny but the means with which you seek to achieve an end is as important,if not more,than the end you seek to achieve. What this violence has done is sow the seeds of instability and ethnic discord for generations to come.
Re: In Support Of Kenyan Electoral Violence by bibiking1(m): 4:14pm On Jan 05, 2008
the two incidence both involved factions of a country engaging each other in combat,

but that aside,      what are you proposing?
that the Kenyans watched in reticence while their will and wishes were being subverted?

I-man i don't seem to get it.
Re: In Support Of Kenyan Electoral Violence by Iman3(m): 4:21pm On Jan 05, 2008
darfur:

300 people dead is too much a price for any form of liberty . . . . that may even install another ''rogue in power''. the people could have used other means . . . .such as, total strikes, no transport, market, no banks, no schools, sit at homes for days, weeks, months etc the govt would break down and the leaders will talk.

Surely it takes less effort to achieve the above than going around killing and raping innocent people.

Comparing the civil war to ethnic cleansing is pointless.A war between 2 armed factions is different from sporadic acts of violence aimed at innocent civilians. Why are we even debating whether ethnic violence is good for Kenya?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ben Murray-Bruce Is The Most Articulate And Visionary Governorship Aspirant / U.S Ready To Assist FG In Dana Crash Investigation / Nimasa Building At Apapa On Fire?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.