Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,855 members, 7,817,533 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:53 PM

Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! (25392 Views)

A Nairalander And His Girlfriend Win Lumia Phones From Nokia (Photos) / How Tecno Stole The Show From Nokia And Blackberry / iNote Mini: A New Android Smartphone From Itel (coming Soon) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by texazzpete(m): 5:09pm On Sep 05, 2012
http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/5/3293369/nokia-lumia-920-windows-phone-8

Nokia announced the Lumia 920 flagship phone today, boasting similar high end CPU & GPU specs to the US variant of the Samsung Galaxy S III.

From a hardware point of view, The Lumia 920 seems to significantly edge the SGS III with
1) better design
2)visibly better screen (Much better sunlight readability, better contrast, 25% better brightness than the brightest phone on the market, ability to manipulate the screen even while wearing gloves, 'floating' display)
3)Far better Cameras (Nokia promises the best image stabilization of any phone camera, better low light performance than even many SLRs)
4) Wireless charging (charge without wires)
5) 2000 mah battery smiley

From software, the Lumia 920 will ship with a much improved offline Navigation that isn't on any top tier Android phone. The Camera app comes with 'lenses' that allow some impressive features like the ability to delete people and objects from any photo as long as they are moving.

The phone should come in Q4 2012 and should be an excellent purchase grin

1 Like

Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:30pm On Sep 05, 2012
buhahahahahaha
nigga please

shits announced......... no date for arrival, which is when we can even begin to think about comparison. same as the surface. DOA. vaporware as far as we know

see you wetting your knickers just to have something to trumpet. cheesy cheesy cheesy

Apple announces Iphone 5 in a few days, this shit is forgotten.

all the cash has gone into buying SGS 3, Note 2 and Iphone 5 grin grin grin

bright yeller and red phones eh? how come they dont ever market the sane colors? how many straight men gonna buy bright yellow fone?

3 Likes

Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by walcolm(m): 5:37pm On Sep 05, 2012
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:38pm On Sep 05, 2012
one good thing though is that somehow iv started noticing a trend where people finally realising other fones look better than the iphone!!

anyways im glad they finally got their WP8 out the door, by this time next year BB10 too will be out, then JUNGLE GO MATURE

DEATH TO APPLE BY THE WAY!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:38pm On Sep 05, 2012
undecided
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:42pm On Sep 05, 2012
"PureView" was the combination of the 41MP sensor, the custom Image Processor, the pixel binning to 8MP and digital zoom.

If this comes with an 8MP sensor, what are they pixel-binning or zooming to? Quarter-VGA?

PureView is now a marketing term it seems.

i wonder what goat that was arguing that the 404 or whatever its called was a good buy at 95k will say about this phone.

guess they will retail it to y'all for 200k sad
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by Nobody: 5:43pm On Sep 05, 2012
Going to order one for ma galfriend. Dont care even if i still use my Nokia 3310.

2 Likes

Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by texazzpete(m): 5:48pm On Sep 05, 2012
4llerbuntu: buhahahahahaha
nigga please

shits announced......... no date for arrival, which is when we can even begin to think about comparison. same as the surface. DOA. vaporware as far as we know

see you wetting your knickers just to have something to trumpet. cheesy cheesy cheesy

Apple announces Iphone 5 in a few days, this shit is forgotten.

all the cash has gone into buying SGS 3, Note 2 and Iphone 5 grin grin grin

bright yeller and red phones eh? how come they dont ever market the sane colors? how many straight men gonna buy bright yellow fone?

Trolling as usual, eh?

No release date because Microsoft has not announced a release date for WP8. There will be a WP8 focused event in a month's time. It's expected it should arrive close to Windows 8's arrival...which is October 26th.

There are other colors available...including white, grey and black.
People LOVE colors. Cyan Lumia 900s sold more than the black variants.

4llerbuntu: "PureView" was the combination of the 41MP sensor, the custom Image Processor, the pixel binning to 8MP and digital zoom.

If this comes with an 8MP sensor, what are they pixel-binning or zooming to? Quarter-VGA?

i wonder what goat that was arguing that the 404 or whatever its called was a good buy at 95k will say about this phone.

Pureview is Nokia's imaging tech. Hardware AND software. This doesn't have the massive sensor of the 808, but it has hardware optical stabilization that far outstrips anything on any phone out there (including the 808) and rivals DSLRs. It has a low light performance that's 5 - 10 times better than anything else out there apart from the Pureview 808. You'll shoot crisp, clear 1080p video that perfectly stabilized.

basically, the camera in the 920 is way better than that found on any other phone apart from the Pureview 808.

PS: What kind of techie are you when you fall for the megapixel myth? lol.

1 Like

Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by texazzpete(m): 5:51pm On Sep 05, 2012
walcolm: www.uswitch.com/mobiles/news/2012/09/nokia_to_write_off_1_million_lumia_800_900_units_says_analyst/

Excellent business from Nokia.

Slash prices on the old stock, firesale the rest to get more WP devcices into more hands. Marketshare goes up, developers flock in, it's a win-win for Nokia and Microsoft. They'll announce losses for them, of course but I expect their financial outlook to pick up when the new WP8 devices come out.

My only concern is the lack of any true low end WP8 option. they need to sell loads of these in China to keep their marketshare up.
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:54pm On Sep 05, 2012
texazzpete:

Trolling as usual, eh?

No release date because Microsoft has not announced a release date for WP8. There will be a WP8 focused event in a month's time. It's expected it should arrive close to Windows 8's arrival...which is October 26th.

There are other colors available...including white, grey and black.
People LOVE colors. Cyan Lumia 900s sold more than the black variants.

hehehehehehe

there are many gay people abroad, and they generally dont have good taste. what do you expect from men that wear mascara? tongue

like i said, no pointin even starting this thread. the other manufacturers will be leaking shots of the next flagships by the time these cats get around to even taking pre-orders

texazzpete:
Pureview is Nokia's imaging tech. Hardware AND software. This doesn't have the massive sensor of the 808, but it has hardware optical stabilization that far outstrips anything on any phone out there (including the 808) and rivals DSLRs. It has a low light performance that's 5 - 10 times better than anything else out there apart from the Pureview 808. You'll shoot crisp, clear 1080p video that perfectly stabilized.

basically, the camera in the 920 is way better than that found on any other phone apart from the Pureview 808.

PS: What kind of techie are you when you fall for the megapixel myth? lol.

im a very innocent person who likes to take people by their words.

i will buy one of these phones.....secondhand........ the moment i hear somebody was able to port anything other than WP on it grin grin grin

personally, im looking forward to the dead RIM revival. i hope they manage it, i thing a BB10 fone with a bb plan will do just fine as a 1/2 combo with my Note!!
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by texazzpete(m): 6:48pm On Sep 05, 2012
4llerbuntu:
like i said, no pointin even starting this thread. the other manufacturers will be leaking shots of the next flagships by the time these cats get around to even taking pre-orders

Nobody else will be able to sell a Windows Phone 8 device until Microsoft formally releases/launches the OS.
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by omodapson(m): 7:10pm On Sep 05, 2012
People seem to be losing faith in Nokia but this announcements should take them right back on track.

I'm not expecting the Lumia 920 to outperform the SG3 but it will surely give it a run for its money, same goes for the yet to be announced iPhone5.

Nokia calls it the most innovative phone in the world, but the innovations I have seen so far is in the camera (well at least) and the pureview HD+ screen. I just might be tempted to go for one the moment it hits the market.
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by jedisco(m): 7:40pm On Sep 05, 2012
I hate the fact that I'm very busy this week and wouldn't have the time to for this till at least Saturday.
Just went through the days events and it really lived up to the hype.
BTW I thought motorolla was holding 'the days main event'. Can't see nothing on it. Haha
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by texazzpete(m): 7:49pm On Sep 05, 2012
omodapson: People seem to be losing faith in Nokia but this announcements should take them right back on track.

I'm not expecting the Lumia 920 to outperform the SG3 but it will surely give it a run for its money, same goes for the yet to be announced iPhone5.

Nokia calls it the most innovative phone in the world, but the innovations I have seen so far is in the camera (well at least) and the pureview HD+ screen. I just might be tempted to go for one the moment it hits the market.

It should actually outperform the SGS III...at least the US variant using the same chipset. WP8 is much more fluid than Android.

Obviously, Camera and screen will wipe the floor with the Galaxy S III.
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by texazzpete(m): 7:50pm On Sep 05, 2012
jedisco: I hate the fact that I'm very busy this week and wouldn't have the time to for this till at least Saturday.
Just went through the days events and it really lived up to the hype.
BTW I thought motorolla was holding 'the days main event'. Can't see nothing on it. Haha

Motorola announced a phone everyone knew was coming. It'll stand not chance against the Galaxy S III.
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by jedisco(m): 7:58pm On Sep 05, 2012
4llerbuntu: "PureView" was the combination of the 41MP sensor, the custom Image Processor, the pixel binning to 8MP and digital zoom.

You again and your annoying obsession for specs you can't understand.
Good to see that you went to read up about 808 after you made me to stop giving you free lectures by your annoying posts.

For starters-

1. Pureview is not limited to what you find on 808 but represents any advanced camera tech on a Nokia phone.

2. What we saw on 808 was Pureview 1. This is Pureview 2 and they both significantly improve different aspects of the camera.

4. From current indications, this phone might have the 2nd best camera currently.

3. And like I've always told you good images do not necessarily depend on the pixel count. Even Nokia has said that severally. Look at this
"You may have seen that despite the super high resolution sensor of the Nokia 808 PureView, we’ve been going to great lengths to communicate that despite the staggering number of pixels, it’s not about the
NUMBER of pixels but HOW YOU USE THEM. This message is just as relevant in the context of this 2nd phase of PureView development."

You can check this out for further explanation http://mynokiablog.com/2012/09/05/pureview-white-paper-2-released-lumia-920-version/

I don't expect much from a fanboy. YOU'VE PROVEN IT OVER AND AGAIN THAT ONCE ONE LEAVES ANDROID YOU BECOME BLANK. I still don't get why you still keep posting ignorant statements about 'inferior (non-android) OSes you know nothing of.
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by jedisco(m): 8:08pm On Sep 05, 2012
texazzpete:

Motorola announced a phone everyone knew was coming. It'll stand not chance against the Galaxy S III.

Yea I know but their 'the days main event' IV was just trying to get at Nokia. Also the location is quite close.
Seems they didn't get the press coverage they needed.

Just read that Nokia is transporting reporters in a Nokia branded bus with Nokia T-shirts from the Nokia event to the motorolla one.
Nokia is now learning some bad stuff o
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by jedisco(m): 8:15pm On Sep 05, 2012
I must confess that I'm really impressed with what Nokia put forward considering the little time they had at their disposal.
To be honest, I wasn't expecting anything major until MWC in 2013. But well this is Nokia.
I know its early but I'm beginning to look forward to the real WP8 device they would release then. Something that would be to WP8 what lumia 900 was to WP7.5. Maybe a combination of Pureview 1 and Pureview 2 with a totally new design.
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:22pm On Sep 05, 2012
i guess there is a bounty for stalking me on nl

young why is it ur brain functions spasmodically and causes u cognitive dissonance?

a simple comment to join the thread would suffice but no, you had to demonstrate ur asinine traits.

who are u debating with? what has that post got to do with what i posted, do u suffer from tech-persecution mania?

this is infantile , crass and obscene mental delinquency. how does your post relate to anything prior to it on this thread? you just had to tarnish the thread with your brand of idiocy.

see, try compose yaself before posting on the tech boards or simply Bleep off to romance and sexuality where you belong. freetard
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by jmaine: 8:36pm On Sep 05, 2012

The latest Lumia purportedly compared with the almighty Galaxy S III . . . . See dusting grin

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/05/pureview-insights/
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by omodapson(m): 8:52pm On Sep 05, 2012
4llerbuntu: i guess there is a bounty for stalking me on nl

young why is it ur brain functions spasmodically and causes u cognitive dissonance?

a simple comment to join the thread would suffice but no, you had to demonstrate ur asinine traits.

who are u debating with? what has that post got to do with what i posted, do u suffer from tech-persecution mania?

this is infantile , crass and obscene mental delinquency. how does your post relate to anything prior to it on this thread? you just had to tarnish the thread with your brand of idiocy.

see, try compose yaself before posting on the tech boards or simply Bleep off to romance and sexuality where you belong. freetard

Where is the dislike button when you need one? undecided
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:54pm On Sep 05, 2012
but that motorola is iphone-ugly

google shld speed up and absorb their tech o, first thing is to sack the design team. they even copied iphone band..

but the battery on that maxx sha!! for that size, that capacity!!' wow. thats something that shld make it into the next nexus.

dont mind these phones flopping sha, so they get cheap faster. will be useful, but for moto, it was really bad timing, esp because of the iphone announcement.

@ jmaine i see nokia/windows fanboys are catching fun all over the interwebs. anyone seeing u pple talk would think from tomorrow morning you will take over the smartphone sales market . catch blackberry first cheesy

una do pass dis one for WP7 . despite my wasted time on the subject y'all failed to listen. nokia announced their figures today, 7 million worlwide. apple and samsung sell that in a week.

catch bb first, then we yarn
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:56pm On Sep 05, 2012
omodapson:

Where is the dislike button when you need one? undecided

na ya saka o.
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by omodapson(m): 9:07pm On Sep 05, 2012
4llerbuntu:

na ya saka o.

meaning? Pls speak English or forever hold your peace.

Thanks.
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by jedisco(m): 9:13pm On Sep 05, 2012
I'm really liking this pureview stuff.
Just saw a really really amazing video of the stabilization thingy and all I can say is WOW!!!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?list=UL&feature=channel&v=moJ9T5pgKkA&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DmoJ9T5pgKkA%26feature%3Dchannel%26list%3DUL&gl=US

Then the low light performance is another way I'm left wondering how Nokia managed to achieve this. It performs much better in low light with led flash than some xenon flash cams e.g N8

Again take a look at this pic comparing it to iphone 4s in a low light snap. Can't even see anything on the iphones screen.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6236/hands-on-with-the-nokia-lumia-920-lumia-820
http://blog.laptopmag.com/nokia-lumia-920-first-impressions-pureview-camera-raises-the-bar-for-smartphones

Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by jmaine: 9:31pm On Sep 05, 2012
4llerbuntu: but that motorola is iphone-ugly

@ jmaine i see nokia/windows fanboys are catching fun all over the interwebs. anyone seeing u pple talk would think from tomorrow morning you will take over the smartphone sales market . catch blackberry first cheesy

una do pass dis one for WP7 . despite my wasted time on the subject y'all failed to listen. nokia announced their figures today, 7 million worlwide. apple and samsung sell that in a week.

We are simply happy to see the real birth of quality competition in the mobile sphere . . .with the Iphone 5 launch coming up next week and the upcoming launch of the BB 10 OS next year . . . We will stop hearing less noise from you Phandriods cheesy

WP8 is the way forward and with Nokia comes multiple possibilities . . . . .
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by zaibatsu(m): 9:35pm On Sep 05, 2012
@Topic This might just be it for Nokia. The shove from thumb-twiddling indecision to a truly profitable platform. They've always had the potential for greatness, and now the latent potential is becoming visible once again.

Really looking forward to this...
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by texazzpete(m): 9:52pm On Sep 05, 2012
4llerbuntu: but that motorola is iphone-ugly

google shld speed up and absorb their tech o, first thing is to sack the design team. they even copied iphone band..

but the battery on that maxx sha!! for that size, that capacity!!' wow. thats something that shld make it into the next nexus.

dont mind these phones flopping sha, so they get cheap faster. will be useful, but for moto, it was really bad timing, esp because of the iphone announcement.

Funny, isn't it?

When you were using your Nokia N900, you weren't concerned about Marketshare
When you're extolling the virtues of Linux, you don't dwell on its minute marketshare compared to Windows

Now all of a sudden, you're babbling about marketshare because Nokia's finally grown up and brings something out that actually beats the Galaxy S III in so many ways grin

1 Like

Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:06pm On Sep 05, 2012
at that time the only smartfones worthy were blackberries and iphones.
symbian was so so. android was on cupcake and donut/ pos/

ecosystems and marketshare were not as prominent and important. innovation was d key. i am proud to have been a part of it

im sure u remember also that i was a rabid nokia fanboy then?

u see despite the push to color me bad, i am always at the forefront of progress.

oh, how i weep for nokia? my crown jewel that was sold out to the enemy.
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by texazzpete(m): 10:31pm On Sep 05, 2012
...and the Samsung Galaxy S III compared with 4S and the 920

I'm not surprised. The poor performance of my SGS III in low light has left me gnashing my teeth in rage most times
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by texazzpete(m): 10:34pm On Sep 05, 2012
4llerbuntu: at that time the only smartfones worthy were blackberries and iphones.
symbian was so so. android was on cupcake and donut/ pos/

ecosystems and marketshare were not as prominent and important. innovation was d key. i am proud to have been a part of it

im sure u remember also that i was a rabid nokia fanboy then?

u see despite the push to color me bad, i am always at the forefront of progress.

oh, how i weep for nokia? my crown jewel that was sold out to the enemy.

Open source does not mean 'progress' all the time.

Nokia has come out with a device with excellent hardware, excellent specs, excellent screen and an excellent camera...All running WP8 which is a fast, smooth and beautiful OS that has practically 100% feature parity with Android JB in most areas.

So what's the issue?
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by Damon03(m): 10:47pm On Sep 05, 2012
This device 'might' nt sell as much as the iphone 5 cos american are obsessed with iphone, but apart from market share it sure beats the best android phone, sgs3, and sure will beat even 2017 edition BB grin
But seriously this is impressive and exactly what geeks would want - A more than competent iphone competitor.
Its ios vs wp. All others can go to sleep for all i care. undecided

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

My New Tecno Phone Is Now Displaying A Blank Screen, Help! / Screenshot And Post Your Data Usage In The Month Of December / Which Is The Best Line To Use To Subscribe For A Bundle Plan?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.