Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,701 members, 7,820,452 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:11 PM

Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! - Phones (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! (25398 Views)

A Nairalander And His Girlfriend Win Lumia Phones From Nokia (Photos) / How Tecno Stole The Show From Nokia And Blackberry / iNote Mini: A New Android Smartphone From Itel (coming Soon) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:55am On Sep 12, 2012
2nd best or best? this is a better and more sensible camera implementation compared with the 808.

besides it will outperform it like the ones u posted above. but thats if marketing equals actual ability sha
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by texazzpete(m): 7:11am On Sep 12, 2012
4llerbuntu: 2nd best or best? this is a better and more sensible camera implementation compared with the 808.

besides it will outperform it like the ones u posted above. but thats if marketing equals actual ability sha

It'll only outperform the 808 in low light mode. In terms of sharpness, picture quality etc, the 808 can't be beat.

It's still a crappy phone though.

Anyway, all talk about the Nokia will begin to subside now the 800 pound gorilla called iPhone is about to be unveiled. I already know i'm not getting one sha. Nano SIM no dey naija yet, and i'll be damned if i start cutting down my microsim to fit and render it incompatible with all other devices.
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by omodapson(m): 8:49am On Sep 12, 2012
texazzpete:

It'll only outperform the 808 in low light mode. In terms of sharpness, picture quality etc, the 808 can't be beat.

Anyway, all talk about the Nokia will begin to subside now the 800 pound gorilla called iPhone is about to be unveiled. I already know i'm not getting one sha. Nano SIM no dey naija yet, and i'll be damned if i start cutting down my microsim to fit and render it incompatible with all other devices.

And that's an area where your expensive '800 pound gorilla' is failing.
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by LordReed(m): 9:51am On Sep 12, 2012
Same thing they said about the Lumia 900 even made it an AT&T exclusive yet it barely sold 300,000 in the US.

Windows 8 might be a better OS than the Mango (Tango?) that is on the 900 but as far as I'm concerned WP8 is an unknown quantity and it's prospects for market share are not very bright imho.
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by LordReed(m): 9:54am On Sep 12, 2012
Nokia Lumia 920 sample images found
to be fake as well

www.gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_920_sample_images_found_to_be_fake_as_well-news-4769.php

Image stabilization and low light perfomance might all just be fake marketing buzz...
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by Bawss1(m): 11:05am On Sep 12, 2012
texazzpete:

I doubt that the nano sim will implemented in the iPhone 5. Apple recently just applied for standard to be adopted. . . but then again given Apple's ways, you never know.

Anyways we'll all find out this evening.
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by walcolm(m): 2:43pm On Sep 12, 2012
Bawss1:

I doubt that the nano sim will implemented in the iPhone 5. Apple recently just applied for standard to be adopted. . . but then again given Apple's ways, you never know.

Anyways we'll all find out this evening.

maybe they'll have microsim and nano sim variants to kick off the adoption of the nanosim
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by Bawss1(m): 4:04pm On Sep 12, 2012
^Micro and nano sim variants? Highly unlikely.
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:45pm On Sep 12, 2012
and apple stole nokia shine n swag!!

eeyah.
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by jmaine: 8:04pm On Sep 12, 2012
4llerbuntu: and apple stole nokia shine n swag!!

eeyah.

How if i may ask ? undecided, cos the Lumia 920 is still a tasty choice even after the IP 5 announcement grin . . .

Meanwhile, this comment got me laughing on Engadget.

" [size=14pt]Nokia Lumia 920 just puts this and cheap Android plastics cheesy to shame.[/size] "
^
Am sure he was referring to the SG 3

P:S =====> The pricing is quite fair and should work in their favour smiley . . .
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by jedisco(m): 8:32pm On Sep 12, 2012
Lord_Reed: Same thing they said about the Lumia 900 even made it an AT&T exclusive yet it barely sold 300,000 in the US.

Windows 8 might be a better OS than the Mango (Tango?) that is on the 900 but as far as I'm concerned WP8 is an unknown quantity and it's prospects for market share are not very bright imho.

The lumia 900 generated very little hype when compared to lumia 920.
It may not have performed hugely in sale numbers, but it certainly didn't perform poorly in alot of aspects.

That phone was the first high-end lumia phone from Nokia and apart from the design, it didn't bring much in terms of differentiation. Also its non-upgradeability to wp8 didn't help either. The phone however managed to give one of the best user satisfaction ratings.

That said, lumia has managed to double its sales quarter to quarter since its release from 1 to 2 to 4 million which is still the best of any phone series released.

That is certainly not bad for a new phone line in under a year.

If you still think that lumia 900 was trash, then you should ask yourself why lumia 920 is generating so much hype. Its reaping on the effort of its predecessors. Android and Apple grew over the years. They were not 1 month hits
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by jedisco(m): 8:32pm On Sep 12, 2012
Lord_Reed: Nokia Lumia 920 sample images found
to be fake as well

www.gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_920_sample_images_found_to_be_fake_as_well-news-4769.php

Image stabilization and low light perfomance might all just be fake marketing buzz...

It seems you've not been following this discussion.

That video and the pictures taken in it were meant simulate what pureview on lumia 920 would bring.

Nokia has apologized and now put up pics and vids taken by the phone. They also called independent reviewers (TheVerge) to do thesame. Check some of my previous posts and clarify yourself
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by jedisco(m): 8:47pm On Sep 12, 2012
4llerbuntu: and apple stole nokia shine n swag!!

eeyah.

Hahahaha.
I'm not sure you've been following proceedings.

Infact after the apple presentation, I must commend Nokia for announcing their device before that of apple.

At first when I saw the date I was like Nokia made a big mistake.
Looking back now, they managed to steal press coverage atleast a week before release, generate alot of interest when the device was released and hold up that interest in the week preceding iphone 5 release. Now thats not easy!

Worse still is the fact that the phone is better speced and much more innovative that iphone 5 that you would hardly see any review or comments without a comparison being made which 920 would most likely win.

If 920 was not announced, the iphone would have had all the hype unhindered.
The only problem is that iphone 5 will be released before 920 but anybody who knows about lumia 920 and still goes on to buy iphone 5 would still have bought iphone 5 even if the lumia was released first.

Don't get me wrong, the iphone 5 would still outsell the lumia by a good margin, but this phone gives the lumia series (Nokia) and wp8 the much needed traction for the years ahead.

ALL-IN-ALL, THUMBS UP TO NOKIA FOR PRODUCING THE MOST INNOVATIVE PHONE OF 2012- THE LUMIA 920

2 Likes

Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by MrTA(m): 9:04pm On Sep 12, 2012
Im undecided now, I will take my time to decide my next device. Im still loving my S2 so no hurry to change but I know I dont want the S3. Im intrigued by Nokia 920 Win8. Im even tempted by the iphone 5 but I dont see that happening but there is a small chance. Im going to wait till november to see the new nexus offering and decide i think.
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by LordReed(m): 9:08pm On Sep 12, 2012
I posted my reply before I got to see the pages where the image issue was discussed.

Windows Mobile 6.x left a bad taste in my mouth and I have distrusted MS since then. WP7 did nothing to improve my perception and WP8's doesn't seem to be doing so much either. I'm not saying WP8 is bad or its implementation in the 920 is not going to rock but until I see it I don't think it stands a big chance.

You might be impressed by the sales numbers of the Lumia series but coming from the Nokia power house I think it is too underwhelming to be news worthy. Windows as a mobile brand has been around way before iOS & Android, if they can't innovate their way past those guys then weak sales numbers is not going make any difference.

With the iphone5 out now the Apple loyalists might not be swayed by the 920 even though I think Apple is fading out. "Loyalism" is what gets Apple lots of sales. If WP8 can't wow them then it has a slim chance of making head way.
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by jedisco(m): 9:40pm On Sep 12, 2012
Lord_Reed: I posted my reply before I got to see the pages where the image issue was discussed.

Windows Mobile 6.x left a bad taste in my mouth and I have distrusted MS since then. WP7 did nothing to improve my perception and WP8's doesn't seem to be doing so much either. I'm not saying WP8 is bad or its implementation in the 920 is not going to rock but until I see it I don't think it stands a big chance.

You might be impressed by the sales numbers of the Lumia series but coming from the Nokia power house I think it is too underwhelming to be news worthy. Windows as a mobile brand has been around way before iOS & Android, if they can't innovate their way past those guys then weak sales numbers is not going make any difference.

With the iphone5 out now the Apple loyalists might not be swayed by the 920 even though I think Apple is fading out. "Loyalism" is what gets Apple lots of sales. If WP8 can't wow them then it has a slim chance of making head way.

Well the WP implementation by MS over the years hasn't been great especially because they leave old users behind with most new updates.
I think with WP7.5 they were quite up to date in terms of UI usability. The remaining hardware limitations and OS glitches should be taken care of in WP8.
If you think otherwise, then its your opinion and no probs.

The lumia sale numbers might not be interesting by todays standards but you've got to understand that this was a fresh phone and OS (for most practical reasons) against two smartphone giants.
Also you can look at the sale numbers as Nokia being a power house a few years before or Nokia seriously struggling for survival when the phone line was released.

Lastly, one good thing about this phone is that it appeals to android and iOS users alike. Afterall they are the ones generating all this hype. WP practically has about 3-4% user base.

Like you said, all the talk has been made. Whats left is for it to be released and its usability adequately scrutinized.
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by MrTA(m): 10:12pm On Sep 12, 2012
One of the things I always respect Apple for is that when they announce a device, they release within a month and sell like hot cakes. Why announce a device that is not ready to be released? Ridiculous.
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by LordReed(m): 10:55pm On Sep 12, 2012
Mr_TA: One of the things I always respect Apple for is that when they announce a device, they release within a month and sell like hot cakes. Why announce a device that is not ready to be released? Ridiculous.

I agree. Lumia 920 should have been scheduled for an October launch to take full advantage of the media buzz already generated. Even the launch of the iphone would have still given them some hype because the eagerness to see it perform along side the iphone5 would have been very hot.

Well let's see if a late year launch can still a be positive thing for them.
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by texazzpete(m): 7:38pm On Sep 14, 2012
Mr_TA: One of the things I always respect Apple for is that when they announce a device, they release within a month and sell like hot cakes. Why announce a device that is not ready to be released? Ridiculous.

Lord_Reed:

I agree. Lumia 920 should have been scheduled for an October launch to take full advantage of the media buzz already generated. Even the launch of the iphone would have still given them some hype because the eagerness to see it perform along side the iphone5 would have been very hot.

Well let's see if a late year launch can still a be positive thing for them.

Windows Phone 8 is not ready for launch yet. It'll be launched late October, with the lumia 920 appearing on shelves by November 2nd.

Nokia took a risk and it seems to be working for them. They banked on the fact that people were gonna be likely to be a bit let down by the iPhone announcement...and would wait for a device that could deliver something new. Now many people are seriously considering the 920.

Also, WIndows 8 will be released October 29th...Nokia hopes to get the positive buzz from the windows 8 launch.

So you actually think Nokia should have waited until after all their potential customers had been snapped up by the iPhone 5 or the galaxy note II before revealing their hardware?
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by LordReed(m): 8:46am On Sep 15, 2012
I understand that the MS partners all have to wait for the launch of Windows 8 before they can launch their products but it would have been interesting to see a Lumia 920 launch just right after the iphone5.

BTW having seen the iphone5 reveal I am giving WP8 a better chance for grabbing a larger share of the market. Iphone5 and iOS6 are little bit underwhelming as I see it. WP8 is more "modern" than iOS6 especially with the live tiles. IOS is getting too comfortable with the simplicity mantra.
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by jmaine: 10:09am On Sep 15, 2012
Lord_Reed: I understand that the MS partners all have to wait for the launch of Windows 8 before they can launch their products but it would have been interesting to see a Lumia 920 launch just right after the iphone5.

BTW having seen the iphone5 reveal I am giving WP8 a better chance for grabbing a larger share of the market. Iphone5 and iOS6 are little bit underwhelming as I see it. WP8 is more "modern" than iOS6 especially with the live tiles. IOS is getting too comfortable with the simplicity mantra.

Hopefully, Apple will buckle up to further up the ante in the mobilesphere . . .

Cos if they don't, they did lose most of their hard core fans before they know it . . . .
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by texazzpete(m): 1:31pm On Sep 15, 2012
jmaine:

Hopefully, Apple will buckle up to further up the ante in the mobilesphere . . .

Cos if they don't, they did lose most of their hard core fans before they know it . . . .

LMAO! iPhone 5 pre-orders are incredible so far.

Don't believe all the bitter fanboys...iPhone 5 will outsell every damn thing this year and well into the next year.

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/09/14/one-third-americans-want-iphone-5-56-blackberry-users-32-android-users-survey/

32% of Android users surveyed want to switch to iPhone 5
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by LordReed(m): 2:09pm On Sep 15, 2012
texazzpete:

Don't believe all the bitter fanboys...iPhone 5 will outsell every damn thing this year and well into the next year.

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/09/14/one-third-americans-want-iphone-5-56-blackberry-users-32-android-users-survey/

Sure the iphone5 will sell, no argument but if Apple doesn't get back to being the innovators they known for being we aint gonna be seeing the same numbers in the future.

BTW does it say how many iphone users don't want to buy the new iphone?

*UPDATE: Only 76% of iphone users are looking to upgrade.
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by jmaine: 3:07pm On Sep 15, 2012
texazzpete:

I was referring to the long term repercussion of not gathering their acts together. . .

Cos if they don't, the competition might swallow them sooner than expected

We all knew they will still sell in droves despite every grin
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by texazzpete(m): 7:12pm On Sep 15, 2012
Lord_Reed:

Sure the iphone5 will sell, no argument but if Apple doesn't get back to being the innovators they known for being we aint gonna be seeing the same numbers in the future.

BTW does it say how many iphone users don't want to buy the new iphone?

*UPDATE: Only 76% of iphone users are looking to upgrade.

Before you posted this inane rebuttal, did you consider the fact that up to 50% of iPhone users are using the 4S...which was released a year ago...and most of those people surveyed are on a 2 year contract?

if anything, 76% upgrade rate is AMAZING.

You need to think these things through.
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by LordReed(m): 11:33pm On Sep 15, 2012
texazzpete:

Before you posted this inane rebuttal, did you consider the fact that up to 50% of iPhone users are using the 4S...which was released a year ago...and most of those people surveyed are on a 2 year contract?

if anything, 76% upgrade rate is AMAZING.

You need to think these things through.

What do you mean think things through? Did you also consider that the number of people who haven't upgraded their Androids to Jelly Bean could be more than 80%? Yet you quoted a statistic on Android users without challenge. I think we can post without being insulting.
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by bigbrovar: 6:48am On Sep 16, 2012

1) 'Catch up'? Resolution aside, The screen in the Lumia 900 was already top class...it wasn't lagging behind in any way. In fact, the Lumia 900's screen had the best sunlight visibility rating of any phone out there...hands down better than the HTC One X and miles better than the disappointing outdoors performance of the Galaxy S III. I swear, on truly bright days when I'm heading to the office restaurant, I can barely make out the screen of my SGS III.

Yeah Much good it did the x1 and the L900 before it. And like you noted about the superLCD Nokia is not the first to ship this tech. Might be marginally better than competition but its not something mind blowing as the way super amoled+ was with the sgs2 which completely out classed the existing competition when it was released.

As far as hardware is concerned, Nokia's Lumia 920 isn't just 'catching up' to the competition, it's outclassing 'em on so many points.
The 920's screen has a higher pixel density than the iPhone 4S and the SGS III, has better sunlight readability, uses the same SuperLCD that enabled the One X's screen to outclass the superAMOLED on the SGS III. Also, Nokia boasts that the screen refresh rate is higher than any other phone ever made.
Again playing catch with the hi res
Screen Game screen density gets to a certain point when it stop making a different anyway yes the Lumia has a slightly higher screen density than the iPhone Which is a great improvement for Nokia but again its a move which brings them inline with the current norm.

Nokia also says it's the brightest screen out there....and of course the ability to use the
And of cause companies don't go over board in hyping their product at press releases .. one would have to wait till its released to get the verdict on that.

phone with gloves or mittens should help out in cold climates. I remember suffering in the cold with my iphone some years back when i had to take off my gloves in sub zero weather just to use the phone's GPS.
yaaarn that was the reaction this feature got on twitter as I was following the event. Cool feature to have no doubt.. but is this enough to get someone off the iphone? I doubt. Yes its a feature which would gladden anyone already out to get the lumia and who happens to leave in the cold region of the world.. not one to make anyone get of their iPhone/Android

2) Unlike palm and possibly Samsung, Nokia has used an popular standard for the Wireless charging feature so you can very easily snag cheaper 3rd party chargers that can be gotten for cheap.
Wireless charging is still generally (like nfc) a niche unless and until the wireless charger is included in the retail box for the device then it will continue to be something u tick in your specs check list. Even with that I have lost count of how many device have that on their spec sheet atm. Again Nokia is playing catch up to what already exist. How good their iteration of these features (which have become standard components of most smart phones nowadays) are in the real world is yet to be seen.

3)

There are already rumours of mid and low end WP8 phones from Nokia targeted at Asian markets to gain back marketshare
even it that turns out true I doubt this is possible. Android totally rules that space now.. any Chinese company can download the android source and slam it on a $50 Hardware while Techno, zte and Even samsung and others totally dominate the =>$70 Phone segment. Neither Wp8 nor Nokia can compete that low Both are too rigid. They are android devices that cost cheaper than Nokia s40 low budget phones.

In all the L920 is a good phone on paper. It features a great camera something which has been the trademark of Nokia since forever. But u get the feeling this device is a year late. It would have been different if it was released even before the galaxy s2 or at least around that time for it to have blown people's mind away.. all the buzz words like retina and wireless charging LTE and a 4.5 screen that super responsive would have won it phone of 2011 (same goes for wp8) even it shipped wp7 it would have been future proof. Imagine if the L920 had been the L900 and sold at $99? This was why the reception to the announcement was lukewarm at best. even Nokia shares lost close to 10 % value during the announcement and more when no release date was announced. It shows how less impressed the general world and even Nokia's share holders were.
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by texazzpete(m): 9:28am On Sep 16, 2012
bigbrovar:

Yeah Much good it did the x1 and the L900 before it. And like you noted about the superLCD Nokia is not the first to ship this tech. Might be marginally better than competition but its not something mind blowing as the way super amoled+ was with the sgs2 which completely out classed the existing competition when it was released.

Screen Game screen density gets to a certain point when it stop making a different anyway yes the Lumia has a slightly higher screen density than the iPhone Which is a great improvement for Nokia but again its a move which brings them inline with the current norm.

And of cause companies don't go over board in hyping their product at press releases .. one would have to wait till its released to get the verdict on that.

yaaarn that was the reaction this feature got on twitter as I was following the event. Cool feature to have no doubt.. but is this enough to get someone off the iphone? I doubt. Yes its a feature which would gladden anyone already out to get the lumia and who happens to leave in the cold region of the world.. not one to make anyone get of their iPhone/Android

Wireless charging is still generally (like nfc) a niche unless and until the wireless charger is included in the retail box for the device then it will continue to be something u tick in your specs check list. Even with that I have lost count of how many device have that on their spec sheet atm. Again Nokia is playing catch up to what already exist. How good their iteration of these features (which have become standard components of most smart phones nowadays) are in the real world is yet to be seen.

3) even it that turns out true I doubt this is possible. Android totally rules that space now.. any Chinese company can download the android source and slam it on a $50 Hardware while Techno, zte and Even samsung and others totally dominate the =>$70 Phone segment. Neither Wp8 nor Nokia can compete that low Both are too rigid. They are android devices that cost cheaper than Nokia s40 low budget phones.

In all the L920 is a good phone on paper. It features a great camera something which has been the trademark of Nokia since forever. But u get the feeling this device is a year late. It would have been different if it was released even before the galaxy s2 or at least around that time for it to have blown people's mind away.. all the buzz words like retina and wireless charging LTE and a 4.5 screen that super responsive would have won it phone of 2011 (same goes for wp8) even it shipped wp7 it would have been future proof. Imagine if the L920 had been the L900 and sold at $99? This was why the reception to the announcement was lukewarm at best. even Nokia shares lost close to 10 % value during the announcement and more when no release date was announced. It shows how less impressed the general world and even Nokia's share holders were.

1. the words 'playing catchup' are used by Android fanboys to suppress genuine improvements in competing devices. Android devices led the specs race because a) the poorly coded Android OS genuinely needed powerful hardware to run anywhere near as smooth as their competitors b) There are far more OEMs making Android devices than any other mobile OS...so new tech is much more likely to debut there.

I didn't see anyone tell us how Android was playing catchup when they debuted project butter on Jelly bean which was designed to bring the level of smoothness that WP and iOS users had been used to for ages.

Catchup or not, the Lumia 920 has a better screen than the SGS III which is THE Android flagship. That's what matters now. Specs of the day are what is used to compare devices.

2) Your observations on the Lumia 920 launch are overly pessimistic. The buzz online was VERY favourable for Nokia. The majority of the tech journalists at the venue were very impressed with the looks, build quality and the camera features...with lots of kudos for the curved screen. The reactions on Twitter were pretty positive, with the only dissenting voices mainly complaining about the dilution of the Pureview branding.

It's anybody's guess whether WP8 still has a fighting chance...but i'd say the Nokia 920 is really leading that charge in a positive way.

For the low end market, Nokia still has a chance to make a dent in the Chinese market. No matter how many Android phones are sold for $50 in the market, the likes of Lenovo have shown convincingly that the public are willing and eager to put down up to $200 - $250 for a low end phone. It's that market Nokia can excel in. They've recently inked a deal with the largest telco in China to stock the Lumia 920.

China aside, there's india. India historically has been a strong market for Nokia...and a low end device there will sell MILLIONS. No question about that.

The reason why Nokia's share price took a beating was that there were no definite announcements on price and release dates. Those are the numbers analysts thrive on, not tech specs. Why do you think Apple's stock price is rising like mad after the reports of incredible pre-order numbers came out?
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by jedisco(m): 11:44am On Sep 16, 2012
bigbrovar:

3) even it that turns out true I doubt this is possible. Android totally rules that space now.. any Chinese company can download the android source and slam it on a $50 Hardware while Techno, zte and Even samsung and others totally dominate the =>$70 Phone segment. Neither Wp8 nor Nokia can compete that low Both are too rigid. They are android devices that cost cheaper than Nokia s40 low budget phones.

Your post reeks of pessimism.
You say the phone is playing catchup and is late for 2012. I think the phone is even early for 2012.

This phone has :
* The best screen currently in terms of pixel density, outdoor clarity, design (curved), refresh rate. Mind you the high pixel density on lumias will be very important than other phones mainly cos of the way the UI is with large texts and tiles. This totally eliminates pixelated images.
* The best camera on a major flagship (808 wasn't major)
* will always be among the top three in terms of design and beauty.
* Next gen tech like NFC and wireless charging. Atleast it won't be outdated when those stuff become popular.
* Super sensitive touchscreen.

These are areas where it has bettered current flagships. Where it has not done that it has proved to be comparable.
Spec-wise, this phone is head and shoulders above anyother phone available now and any open minded person changing a phone and is aware of it will Seriously give it a thought.

So my question is what else does this phone need to be a 2012 phone?

WP doesn't need to sell $70 phones to become successful. Apple rakes in 75% of smartphone and tablet profits. I haven't heard of a $70 apple phone.
It would be atrocious to think Samsung makes much profit by selling those very cheap phones. Afterall, Nokia has consistently sold over 70 million feature phones for the past 3 quarters while still recording losses.
Even in the low range aspect, the Asha range is doing very very well. The only phone bringing in profit for Nokia.

You said the reception was lukewarm at best? I say the reception was great.
This is a phone that controls 2-3% in major markets and runs an OS that has disappointed its users over and over again. To make matters worse it was released just a week before the iPhone and yet its got so much media attention. Tell me how much better it would have performed?
Tell me which other phone has generated so much hype based on hardware alone with little or no information about the software?
95% of people talking good about the phone use other OSes. Tell me how many android or ios users you have seen come out openly to praise the other flagship?

The fall in share price was due to no information on release date which is excusable considering the little time Nokia had to make the phone. The share prices have since recovered in reaction to its good reception. Moreover using share prices to judge phones is too simplistic.
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by Nobody: 1:57pm On Sep 16, 2012
Anyone care to tell me how this L920 stacks up against the Galaxy Note 2? That's the device am patiently waiting for but being a former Nokia fanboy, I wouldn't mind getting the 920 if am convinced.
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by jedisco(m): 2:51pm On Sep 16, 2012
Zeddicus: Anyone care to tell me how this L920 stacks up against the Galaxy Note 2? That's the device am patiently waiting for but being a former Nokia fanboy, I wouldn't mind getting the 920 if am convinced.

You should have asked how it stacks against the iPad. This is a phone the other is a phablet.
For now, very little is known of WP8 just that some previous limitations of WP7 have been addressed and it should be better than WP7 which BTW was good.
That said, they both have respectable hardware.
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by bigbrovar: 3:02pm On Sep 16, 2012
texazzpete:

1. the words 'playing catchup' are used by Android fanboys to suppress genuine improvements in competing devices. Android devices led the specs race because a) the poorly coded Android OS genuinely needed powerful hardware to run anywhere near as smooth as their competitors b) There are far more OEMs making Android devices than any other mobile OS...so new tech is much more likely to debut there.

I didn't see anyone tell us how Android was playing catchup when they debuted project butter on Jelly bean which was designed to bring the level of smoothness that WP and iOS users had been used to for ages.

Catchup or not, the Lumia 920 has a better screen than the SGS III which is THE Android flagship. That's what matters now. Specs of the day are what is used to compare devices.

2) Your observations on the Lumia 920 launch are overly pessimistic. The buzz online was VERY favourable for Nokia. The majority of the tech journalists at the venue were very impressed with the looks, build quality and the camera features...with lots of kudos for the curved screen. The reactions on Twitter were pretty positive, with the only dissenting voices mainly complaining about the dilution of the Pureview branding.

It's anybody's guess whether WP8 still has a fighting chance...but i'd say the Nokia 920 is really leading that charge in a positive way.

For the low end market, Nokia still has a chance to make a dent in the Chinese market. No matter how many Android phones are sold for $50 in the market, the likes of Lenovo have shown convincingly that the public are willing and eager to put down up to $200 - $250 for a low end phone. It's that market Nokia can excel in. They've recently inked a deal with the largest telco in China to stock the Lumia 920.

China aside, there's india. India historically has been a strong market for Nokia...and a low end device there will sell MILLIONS. No question about that.

The reason why Nokia's share price took a beating was that there were no definite announcements on price and release dates. Those are the numbers analysts thrive on, not tech specs. Why do you think Apple's stock price is rising like mad after the reports of incredible pre-order numbers came out?

I will try to refrain from turning this into a android vs wp debate. That's a topic for another day. All I will just say is. Specs does matter at the end of the day. If the first and second Gen wp hadn't had a hardware limitations and had shipped with powerful processing powers they would not have had problems updating and would have been eligible to run wp8. Even the iPhone often touted as the benchmark for fluidity even on lower spec hardware compared to Android saw the iPhone5 Shipping with a A6 processor based on cortex 15 which is generations ahead of anything running on any smartphone or tablet.. with a gb of ram this is the same iPhone said to only need a fraction of what android devices need to run like liquid yet apple is not taking any risk or pulling punches.

The paradigm of computer usage is shifting more and more to mobile as more and more people are shifting their everyday computing needs to mobile. As I write this I am downloading some torrent from my smart phone. Something which I won't even have thought of some years back. The arm race (pun unintended) is no longer unique to Android. If you want to compete in the mobile space u need solid hardware.

Again the wp8 is not a bad device neither is playing catch up by Nokia a bad thing. But guys this is Nokia we are talking about not HTC. When I want to think of Nokia I want to think of the n95 the Nokia that leaves us wowed. That Nokia (beside the cam) was very OK..yes it has a higher pixel density than the iPhone 4 but the iPhone brought retina so that's playing catch up. yes it has a 4.5 inch screen. Again we have seen that before. Yes the screen claims to be very bright and allows sun light and all.. again that can hardly be described as a wow factor. The design of the phone is great as was the L900 and the n8 and the n97 before that. And yes though the phone was well received (well its a great phone) Yet the general mood from the tech press was kinda meh. The only part which received great reviews was the design (an area Nokia always get raves for) and camera ( Yet another undisputed area for nokia) L920 is a great device as the l900 before it. However will it be great enough to see Nokia to the promise land ? I very much doubt it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Lock Your Credit / Which Is The Best Line To Use To Subscribe For A Bundle Plan? / 7 Things Affecting Battery And Data Life On Your Android & How To Manage Them

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.