Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,825 members, 7,820,902 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:28 AM

Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! (25401 Views)

A Nairalander And His Girlfriend Win Lumia Phones From Nokia (Photos) / How Tecno Stole The Show From Nokia And Blackberry / iNote Mini: A New Android Smartphone From Itel (coming Soon) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by walcolm(m): 1:03pm On Sep 07, 2012
texazzpete: For anyone still doubting the camera performance...

Here you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jFhhBJ1URCg

pulllleeeeeezzzzzz.....pure bullshit. the pureview camera is a great job but i dont believe this set up....when you buy the publicly available 920, we'll meet in the office and redo this test.

for all you know, the Nokia handset in that clip is rigged with a camera that would not been in the retail unit mere mortals like you will eventually shell out money for. those other devices could have also been tampered with beforehand.

unless you tell me you believe everything in Hollywood movies, disregard that clip
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by Bawss1(m): 2:50pm On Sep 07, 2012
4llerbuntu:
im not sure if WP will really grab the needed market share with just nokia.

because its likely the other manufacturers may simply give up making WP phones,
to get a equally compelling device will take time! no contest!

The line in bold caught my eye. What informed this observation?
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by texazzpete(m): 2:57pm On Sep 07, 2012
walcolm:

pulllleeeeeezzzzzz.....pure bullshit. the pureview camera is a great job but i dont believe this set up....when you buy the publicly available 920, we'll meet in the office and redo this test.

for all you know, the Nokia handset in that clip is rigged with a camera that would not been in the retail unit mere mortals like you will eventually shell out money for. those other devices could have also been tampered with beforehand.

unless you tell me you believe everything in Hollywood movies, disregard that clip

So...if Nokia could put in a powerful camera like that in that same shell and show it off in a production unit, what would stop them from putting it in the actual device?

Abeg leave all these silly conspiracy theories alone.

walcolm:

that picture from the Nokia camera is a fraud and it has been exposed here....http://www.intomobile.com/2012/09/06/did-nokia-fake-its-still-lumia-920-images-too/

Actually, in that article that isn't the faked one. The photo you're quoting is actually what your link says is the REAL photo from a Lumia 920.
You may need to pick up a copy of Queen Primer or Brighter Grammar to brush up your reading skills.

4llerbuntu: http://sefsar.com/nokia-faked-the-still-photos-too

grin grin grin grin grin grin

Somebody is always watching. caught in the act.... again

Again? Nope. Those are stills from the Pureview ad video that Nokia already apologized for and said were not actually taken on a Lumia 920. It's all from that same video that Nokia has already disavowed.

There are plenty of hands on videos with actual journalists and with actual devices....and they test and compare the cameras.
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:05pm On Sep 07, 2012
Bawss1:

The line in bold caught my eye. What informed this observation?

Do you see HTC or samsung making a WP phone that has the hardware quality of these Nokia products immediately?

They cannot/will not be allowed to get to the market before Nokia.

Given a choice of buying a WP phone, which would you buy? a Lumia or other manufacturers? it will take a major miracle for any oother manufacturer to produce a product that actually matches these Lumias AND MARKET THEM. the marketing effort sef na big hurdle.

note that the other manufacturers do not have the advantage of being Microsoft's baby. the entry point and costs for them are high.
In this game as shown for WP7 fones, Microsoft is willing to bankroll Nokia and write off large losses, absorb their financial issues.

Nokia also does not pay license fees to Microsoft, the other manufacturers will have to for WP8. they got waivers for WP7 tho, yet market was bad. Nokia moved 7 Million units, i dont think the other manufacturers moved 5 million combined!

Building and marketing a phone is not beans, its a high risk investment. when you are not sure of even breaking even, its better not to go into it.

Bottomline is, it may be too expensive/risky to compete with Nokia on WP8 at the start. if and when it gains market share, then maybe pple will think about going into it.
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by jedisco(m): 5:22pm On Sep 07, 2012
why are these peeps deleting my posts
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by sniperwolf(m): 6:47pm On Sep 07, 2012
I was hoping that WP8 will be exclusive to Nokia
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by sniperwolf(m): 6:51pm On Sep 07, 2012
This phone has no radio. WTF!
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by ziccoit: 8:11pm On Sep 07, 2012
soft-touch:
Interesting arguement from all.
Anyway, What is the point of all these?
Anyone that says Nokia/Lumia/W8 phone is not good enough should go and produce his own and show us!
Anyone who claimed iPhone/iOS is scrap should show us the one his or his village has produced!
Anyone who claimed Samsung/Andriod is a trash, sholud come with his or her own design!
Anyone who says, Blackberry/RIM is a failure should go and commit suiside! or better hug transformer!

Use the phone that meets your day-to-day needs and stop bragging.
How many people use all the function of most of the phone sef? Some people never exaust all features of Nokia 3310, they are talking about iOS/Andriod/W8

This is always root of racial discrimination. Abi, if we are venting like volcanic on non-living gadget that will be of less value in next 6 months, I just imagine what we happen if humans are involve. Atomic-Tribal-War

You don't consider wonderful knowledge people have passed and gained through this kind of argument.

1 Like

Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by Mustay(m): 3:40am On Sep 08, 2012
zaibatsu: @Topic This might just be it for Nokia. The shove from thumb-twiddling indecision to a truly profitable platform. They've always had the potential for greatness, and now the latent potential is becoming visible once again.

Really looking forward to this...
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by Mustay(m): 3:46am On Sep 08, 2012
zaibatsu: @Topic This might just be it for Nokia. The shove from thumb-twiddling indecision to a truly profitable platform. They've always had the potential for greatness, and now the latent potential is becoming visible once again.

Really looking forward to this...

iShare this opinion
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by jedisco(m): 1:45pm On Sep 08, 2012
4llerbuntu:

Do you see HTC or samsung making a WP phone that has the hardware quality of these Nokia products immediately?

They cannot/will not be allowed to get to the market before Nokia.

Given a choice of buying a WP phone, which would you buy? a Lumia or other manufacturers? it will take a major miracle for any oother manufacturer to produce a product that actually matches these Lumias AND MARKET THEM. the marketing effort sef na big hurdle.

note that the other manufacturers do not have the advantage of being Microsoft's baby. the entry point and costs for them are high.
In this game as shown for WP7 fones, Microsoft is willing to bankroll Nokia and write off large losses, absorb their financial issues.

Nokia also does not pay license fees to Microsoft, the other manufacturers will have to for WP8. they got waivers for WP7 tho, yet market was bad. Nokia moved 7 Million units, i dont think the other manufacturers moved 5 million combined!

Building and marketing a phone is not beans, its a high risk investment. when you are not sure of even breaking even, its better not to go into it.

Bottomline is, it may be too expensive/risky to compete with Nokia on WP8 at the start. if and when it gains market share, then maybe pple will think about going into it.

I don't know why you're hellbent on convincing yourself this phone won't succeed.
From current indications, I think it would be a wonderful takeoff for WP8. Its evident that all the pains Nokia put into early lumias may payoff.

Samsung announced a wp8 phone before
Nokia. The phone has impressive specs and can
just be considered as the windows version of
SIII.

Let me also point out that other WP8 OEMs (apart from Samsung) do not have a better chance of succeeding on android than Samsung. Nokia owns WP just as they did own Symbian and Samsung owning android. Infact I haven't seen any OS accommodating more than one successfull OEM. So as far as WP8 is concerned, others would just have to stick around.

Now, the ONLY reason why WP8 is getting so much press coverage is because of Nokia. Infact lumia is a more popular search term than wp8.
Where were the other OEMs when Nokia decided to stop all other OSes put the future of their whole company on WP? They were not willing to do that instead they were willing to hang around and see if wp8 would be successful. What if WP failed? Nokia would have failed to. Nobody was willing to take that risk. Nokia deserves all those concessions and even more.

Also Microsoft were in a very tight corner. All they could do was watch and see the success of rivals Apple and Google in the phone industry. Nokia gave them the chance to succeed.

(I hope you know that MS is not begging other OEMs to make their phones. All they need is one dedicated partner. Infact Samsung (and I think others) have to say MS for each android device made).

Lastly, MS does not pay Nokia to use their patents. Google bought moto for over $10B mainly cos of patents. That gives you an idea of the worth of these patents. Now Nokia gives them the access to almost 50% of mobile patents for free.
Its fair to say that they both need each other to succeed.

Another reason why Nokia would beat other WP OEMs is simply because they have been able to DIFFERENTIATE their products. Nokia did it with symbian, were ready to do it with android but Google wouldn't let them.
Samsung did it with the galaxy series by copying apple for the first galaxy. Nokia does it by being original.
Nowadays its very easy to put the latest processor, a large screen and good resolution with a candy bar frame and call it a flagship.
920 shows dat people are getting tired of that boring trend. They want new stuff like
- Great and bold design
- Vibrant colours
- PureView camera
- Curved screen
- Synaptics advanced touchscreen (works
with car keys, fingernails, and gloves)
- A superb screen- Puremotion HD+ and CBD
- High volume mono recording using 3 speakers*
- A whole lot of quality Nokia exclusive apps like city lens, Nokia maps, transport, drive, music e.t.c

All these on just one device.
These are ways Nokia has used to differentiate its flagship this year.
Now compare this to other flagships this year and you would see its just a boring chase.

Most other OEMs are lacking whether its on android or windows cant give this.
I've got a feeling that if the current trend continues (thats if other OEMs don't copy), Google may regret not licensing Nokia. Remember the smartphone world is very volatile.
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by jedisco(m): 1:46pm On Sep 08, 2012
** double post deleted **
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by 4llerbuntu(m): 3:36pm On Sep 08, 2012
@jedisco. take a deep breath. take a glass of water.

now read that my post you quoted AGAIN, LIKE THREE TIMES.

now tell us how u interpreted it to mean i said the lumia wont suceed. i want to presume english comprehension is not an issue for u.

its really hard to be civil to u. honestly, plus i am starting to seriously think aboutt leaving this board.

smh.
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by texazzpete(m): 4:15pm On Sep 08, 2012
sniperwolf: This phone has no radio. WTF!

FM radio? This is 2012 o!
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by mhozzis(m): 4:50pm On Sep 08, 2012
texazzpete:

So. enlighten me pls
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by jedisco(m): 5:17pm On Sep 08, 2012
4llerbuntu: @jedisco. take a deep breath. take a glass of water.

now read that my post you quoted AGAIN, LIKE THREE TIMES.

now tell us how u interpreted it to mean i said the lumia wont suceed. i want to presume english comprehension is not an issue for u.

its really hard to be civil to u. honestly, plus i am starting to seriously think aboutt leaving this board.

smh.

Ah Ah!
You know very well that on this thread (though you've not said it openly) you've not been happy with the progress lumia may make.

I can go up and dig your posts on this thread and show you. From release date, to galaxy sale numbers, to fake adverts, to other OEMs leaving MS. You also have a positive history against lumia with the lumia 900 stuff. Guy you're pretty much been the main antagonist telling us how not to go with the hype as the phone may not succeed
Free Nokia for once!

But please don't leave yet o. Atleast I want someone I can always cross paths with. As na you like android pass and me symbian

I also heard that Nokia re-called TheVerge to do the shootout again. Can you please post the new pics so we can compare with the fake ones. I would have done that but it might be hidden

BTW, my post is not complete. I don't know why this spambot has been pursuing me up and down. Let me try and add up the remaining.
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by texazzpete(m): 6:05pm On Sep 08, 2012
mhozzis: So. enlighten me pls

I do not know if there's an FM radio app in the 920, but i hardly see the need for one these days. I have NEVER used the FM radio in my SGS III before.
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by LilMarshal1(m): 6:59pm On Sep 08, 2012
Not gonna lie, @jedisco is ryt. Lumia 920 gives us a smartphone with entirely new innovation. The problem, Android fans aren't listening. Not every1 needs 600,000 apps. WP8 is totally a new direction. Thats what we need.
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by hancock(m): 7:05pm On Sep 08, 2012
texazzpete:

I do not know if there's an FM radio app in the 920, but i hardly see the need for one these days. I have NEVER used the FM radio in my SGS III before.
lol was about to say the same thing. have been using my galaxy sII for close to 9 months now and i dont think i have played the fm radio more than twice.
Besides i think this would be a perfect replacement for my aged SlI, sorry SIII
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by sniperwolf(m): 9:47pm On Sep 08, 2012
texazzpete:

Are you saying that FM Radio is obsolete for 2012
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by bigbrovar: 5:55am On Sep 09, 2012
2)visibly better screen (Much better sunlight readability, better contrast, 25% better brightness than the brightest phone on the market, ability to manipulate the screen even while wearing gloves, 'floating' display)
3)Far better Cameras (Nokia promises the best image stabilization of any phone camera, better low light performance than even many SLRs)
4) Wireless charging (charge without wires)
5) 2000 mah battery

Beside the camera (and seriously Nokia still owns that crown) I haven't seen any thing here that blows mind when compared to what the competition is offering. For Nokia and maybe the wp ecosystem its a great leap no doubt but compared with what is already out there it seems like playing catch up.

I guess one will have to wait and see how things are implemented because right now no known human outside of Nokia has been allowed to play with with or even touch the l920. Until the device is released or reviewed I think it is too early to get excited.

Let's see how well the city lens map thingie works in real life usage.

How accessible the wireless charging would be. (The galaxy s3 is also touted to support wireless charging but until the accessories for enabling wireless charging becomes part of the retail box. It won't ever become mainstream. Just an item to tick of in the specs sheet.)

How really good the display is compared to the competition.

And most important of all. We would get to see how really good wp8 is.right now we can only assume that it would be better than wp7 as it based on NT core and allows for native c++ in 3rd party app development. However we should remember that wp8 is a complete rewrite and in many sense a 0.1 release. The process of porting NT down to mobile will not be easy so fingers crossed on how the final product would turn out.

The way I see it the event of last week (where no announcement or pricing plan was released) was a desperate attempt to get something out there before iPhone 5 is announced and released. Elop did promise to shorten the length of time between device announcement and their release that did not happen last week. I keep my fingers crossed and see how the final product performs. Call me a doubting Thomas but many times I have been burnt by Nokia in the past as what was announced always turns out to be awesomer compared to what is actually released. (Looking at n97, n8)
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by jedisco(m): 10:04am On Sep 09, 2012
bigbrovar:

Beside the camera (and seriously Nokia still owns that crown) I haven't seen any thing here that blows mind when compared to what the competition is offering. For Nokia and maybe the wp ecosystem its a great leap no doubt but compared with what is already out there it seems like playing catch up.

I guess one will have to wait and see how things are implemented because right now no known human outside of Nokia has been allowed to play with with or even touch the l920. Until the device is released or reviewed I think it is too early to get excited.

How accessible the wireless charging would be. (The galaxy s3 is also touted to support wireless charging but until the accessories for enabling wireless charging becomes part of the retail box. It won't ever become mainstream. Just an item to tick of in the specs sheet.)

And most important of all. We would get to see how really good wp8 is.right now we can only assume that it would be better than wp7 as it based on NT core and allows for native c++ in 3rd party app development. However we should remember that wp8 is a complete rewrite and in many sense a 0.1 release. The process of porting NT down to mobile will not be easy so fingers crossed on how the final product would turn out.

The way I see it the event of last week (where no announcement or pricing plan was released) was a desperate attempt to get something out there before iPhone 5 is announced and released. Elop did promise to shorten the length of time between device announcement and their release that did not happen last week. I keep my fingers crossed and see how the final product performs. Call me a doubting Thomas but many times I have been burnt by Nokia in the past as what was announced always turns out to be awesomer compared to what is actually released. (Looking at n97, n8)

Though I agree with you on some points like the N97 being overhyped I really don't think its just the cam that makes this phone stand out.

If you look at the N97s case, Nokia was the leader then with so many users hoping for something better. So when it was announced it was sure to be overhyped.
Now in 2012, Nokia has fallen to a distant 4th with so many haters. Even the wp installed base is less than 4% in many countries. So I think that a great deal of the hype is worth it considering the fact that its being generated by non-users (a rare feat it 2012)

Coming to other hardware specs, I think it areas where it has not blown them out of the water, it has proven to be a worthy upgrade.
Lets look at some major hardware
The cam- no questioning here. Can be regarded as the 2nd best.
The screen display- Going by what Nokia said of it being the best around, I think that even if it fails to live up to that (which is unlikely), it wouldn't fall below top 3
Also the fact that it can be operated with gloves is a great improvement on the normal capacitive present in other flagships. Also worth noting is the curved screen.

The design- This is an area where everything was getting boring recently. It can't be denied that its been a long time since a phone stood out so much design-wise. Also the vibrant colours match perfectly with the coloured tile UI of WP8- not bad to be called a fashion accessory.

The build quality- This is an area where Nokia always triumphs. Although it didn't stand out here, its still solid. Can't remember when last they made a low quality phone.

Wireless charging- If you think this was hyped, wait until it appears on an iphone. A good accessory if you get the charger.

City lens- This is just an improvement in an area where they are clearly leaders- Navigation. So if you take the whole navigational package together, its undoubtedly the best option around. The app is available and it works.

So yes in some areas its not stunning but its right to say that this has provided a worthy upgrade (whether innovational or additional) in terms of hardware to the rest. So the right question should be what is the competition offering hardware-wise that makes them stand out? Trust me those hardware features are enough to warran two upgrades from apple- thats 2 years.

WP8 is not as novel as the way you make it sound when being compared to WP7. I would leave the technical details cos in terms of usage, it can't be worse than WP7 which can in be regarded as a modern OS. The main limitations of WP7 like multicore support, SD card, multitasking e.t.c have already been taken care of.
So yes I would like to see what WP8 offers but it would not be a case of whether it would be good or bad (like BB OS10) but a case of how good it would be.

Lastly, on the issue of availability you would agree that its not been easy for Elop to change the waiting period (upto 6 months sometimes) But he has tried.
Current rumours put it around mid-October for Europe and November for U.S.
This was the best thing to do to make people aware of the phone before the iphone hype. Also Nokia has pretty much been playing catchup on WP. It was not until this lumia 900 this year that they hit WP7. I'm surprised they did it so soon with WP8. Remember its just about a year they started using it and have been forced to change to a non-upgradeable OS already.

In summary, though I share your concerns especially as regards N97, I think times have changed and a good amount of the hype this phone is getting is worth it. So just as I'm looking out to the final product, I do so with some optimism and also without worry cos the phone may not hit Nigeria until next year and by them, waiting for MWC is February would be sensible.
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by texazzpete(m): 8:44pm On Sep 09, 2012
bigbrovar:

1) 'Catch up'? Resolution aside, The screen in the Lumia 900 was already top class...it wasn't lagging behind in any way. In fact, the Lumia 900's screen had the best sunlight visibility rating of any phone out there...hands down better than the HTC One X and miles better than the disappointing outdoors performance of the Galaxy S III. I swear, on truly bright days when I'm heading to the office restaurant, I can barely make out the screen of my SGS III.

As far as hardware is concerned, Nokia's Lumia 920 isn't just 'catching up' to the competition, it's outclassing 'em on so many points.
The 920's screen has a higher pixel density than the iPhone 4S and the SGS III, has better sunlight readability, uses the same SuperLCD that enabled the One X's screen to outclass the superAMOLED on the SGS III. Also, Nokia boasts that the screen refresh rate is higher than any other phone ever made.

Nokia also says it's the brightest screen out there....and of course the ability to use the phone with gloves or mittens should help out in cold climates. I remember suffering in the cold with my iphone some years back when i had to take off my gloves in sub zero weather just to use the phone's GPS.

2) Unlike palm and possibly Samsung, Nokia has used an popular standard for the Wireless charging feature so you can very easily snag cheaper 3rd party chargers that can be gotten for cheap.

3)You're right about the delay between when the devices are announced and when they'll go on sale...but hopefully this will be a one-time thing. Once WP8 is done, Nokia will proceed to roll with it and get as many phone models as they can out there. There are already rumours of mid and low end WP8 phones from Nokia targeted at Asian markets to gain back marketshare.
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by walcolm(m): 6:41am On Sep 10, 2012
texazzpete:

So...if Nokia could put in a powerful camera like that in that same shell and show it off in a production unit, what would stop them from putting it in the actual device?

Abeg leave all these silly conspiracy theories alone.
Nokia has already been caught cheating! if they could cheat with the video and stills they released originally as coming from the 920 camera, who says they could not rig a staged comparison especially since that session is a Nokia organized comparison session...so where's the conspiracy theory?

texazzpete:
Actually, in that article that isn't the faked one. The photo you're quoting is actually what your link says is the REAL photo from a Lumia 920.
You may need to pick up a copy of Queen Primer or Brighter Grammar to brush up your reading skills.

excerpt from the article i quoted is below:
Nokia admitted that its Lumia 920 promotional ad contained video recorded by a DSLR and not its PureView camera as claimed in the video. According to a post by Youssef Sarhan, the Finnish company also faked some of the still photos in that video, too.
Sarhan points to the still picture above that allegedly shows the optical image stabilization of the Lumia 920. He notes that the sparkles shown in the background street lights could not have been produced by the Lumia camera, which has a fixed aperture of f/2. This effect is only present in photos captured with camera that’s set to a higher aperture like f/22. It’s a common photography effect that occurs in night shots like the one above.

angrythe reference pointed out a picture at the top of the page and says the picture is the fake picture! if the picture is the one taken by the 920, will the article say its fake? i'm sure you're the one who needs the QUEEN PRIMER AND BRIGHTER GRAMMAR to aid your comprehension or better still help your reading skills first of all. if you don't read, its hard to comprehend

btw, throwing insults at will (especially when it is not merited) just because you're on a faceless forum is juvenile and doesn't show class #justsaying
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by jedisco(m): 7:29am On Sep 10, 2012
^^^
Due to all the controversy this generated, Nokia invited TheVerge to do the shootout again. This time they could go with the full untouched jpeg images.
Its also worth noting that no video comparison was done cos Nokia said the OIS ain't complete and even the EXIF data from the images are wrong.
This gives further credence to why Nokia had to use a simulation to show what would be on the phone rather than the phone itself.

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/9/7/3299784/nokia-lumia-920-pureview-camera-hi-res-photos

I also don't think there would be much changes (if any) from the final product. Afterall thesame thing was said of 808 and when it came out, it proved critics wrong. I don't see this one doing worse.

According to Nokia all images taken from here (http://conversations.nokia.com/2012/09/05/taking-pureview-to-the-next-level/ ) were taken by the phone.

This is an image comparison done between the phone and other flagships taken by independent journalists (TheVerge) using the lumia 920.

Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:41am On Sep 10, 2012
post the pictures taken with nightmode on too for adequate comparison.

dont do half measures, full disclosure.

NIGHT MODE ACTIVATED ONES TOO
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by jedisco(m): 7:58am On Sep 10, 2012
4llerbuntu: post the pictures taken with nightmode on too for adequate comparison.

dont do half measures, full disclosure.

NIGHT MODE ACTIVATED ONES TOO

Hahahaha.
I told you to post them cos spambot was all over me but you posted only the controversial ones.

Well... I would have loved to post the whole lot but this was the only one that brought all four together and besides the link is there for all to check.

The night mode was quite better but still far below that of the lumia and the difference is even much wider when you compare the amount of detail taken in by them.
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by texazzpete(m): 8:03am On Sep 10, 2012
walcolm:
excerpt from the article i quoted is below:
Nokia admitted that its Lumia 920 promotional ad contained video recorded by a DSLR and not its PureView camera as claimed in the video. According to a post by Youssef Sarhan, the Finnish company also faked some of the still photos in that video, too.
Sarhan points to the still picture above that allegedly shows the optical image stabilization of the Lumia 920. He notes that the sparkles shown in the background street lights could not have been produced by the Lumia camera, which has a fixed aperture of f/2. This effect is only present in photos captured with camera that’s set to a higher aperture like f/22. It’s a common photography effect that occurs in night shots like the one above.

angrythe reference pointed out a picture at the top of the page and says the picture is the fake picture! if the picture is the one taken by the 920, will the article say its fake? i'm sure you're the one who needs the QUEEN PRIMER AND BRIGHTER GRAMMAR to aid your comprehension or better still help your reading skills first of all. if you don't read, its hard to comprehend

btw, throwing insults at will (especially when it is not merited) just because you're on a faceless forum is juvenile and doesn't show class #justsaying

Will no one rid me of these lack-wits?

The article you posted had this as a the headline

Did Nokia fake the still photos in its Lumia 920 ad, too?

What does the bolded section mean to you?

From the same article, here's a quote

According to a post by Youssef Sarhan, the Finnish company also faked some of the still photos in that video, too.

So the article is talking about some still photos IN THE ALREADY DISCREDITED VIDEO and not the images you put there in your original post. The article makes that distinction VERY CLEARLY.

The image below is the still from the ad video which has been proven to be fake

However in your post you quoted this photo below which the article CLEARLY says is a true photo from the Lumia 920. Yet you claimed the article said it was faked.

This is a clear case of a failure to read properly or some deficiencies in comprehending written English.

If you're going to respond to this, kindly dredge up something intelligent this time. i will not have my time wasted responding to unrepentant tripe!
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by jedisco(m): 8:09am On Sep 10, 2012
Come to think of it, who is the moderator of this section?
This thread should have hit front page by now.
When SIII came out, it was there before the announcement. In 2 days time I know iphone 5 would be there.
Where are the mods?
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:35pm On Sep 10, 2012
jedisco:

The night mode was quite better but still far below that of the lumia and the difference is even much wider when you compare the amount of detail taken in by them.

considering the amount of blur nko?
Re: Nokia Lumia 920...finally A Smartphone From Nokia That Can Compete! by jedisco(m): 10:52pm On Sep 11, 2012
4llerbuntu:

considering the amount of blur nko?

Blur?? Hmm... na you dey see dat one o. I think this phone deserves the '2nd best cam on a smartphone' tag for now.

Now its over to apple to see what iphone 5 holds.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Lock Your Credit / 7 Things Affecting Battery And Data Life On Your Android & How To Manage Them / Which Is The Best Line To Use To Subscribe For A Bundle Plan?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.