Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,160 members, 7,815,052 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:03 AM

240 New Factories In A Year By MAN - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 240 New Factories In A Year By MAN (6070 Views)

Today March 28, It's Exactly A Year We Voted For Buhari, Do You Regret? / 3 Bomb Factories Discovered In Kano, Bomb Maker Arrested / Attempts To Set Church Ablaze In Bayelsa By Man Dressed In Turban (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

240 New Factories In A Year By MAN by taharqa: 12:32am On Sep 06, 2012

Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN) said yesterday that 240 new factories opened shops in the country within a year, thereby propping up investment in the manufacturing sector.

President of MAN, Chief Kola Jamodu said Monday in Abuja at a stakeholders’ conference on the review of common tariff for 2008 to 2012 that the projected turnover of these factories is N140 billion.

He said that some of its members have expanded their production base by as much as N100 billion, adding that close to 200,000 new employment was generated by December last year alone.

He said there was increased utilization from 47.50 percent in December 2010 to 48.93 percent in December last year, and that in some sectors, capacity utilization grew to 70 percent.

He attributed the growth in the manufacturing sector to the cancellation of the Cargo Tracking Note, reduction in the number of agencies at the ports and adoption of sector-specific incentives/waivers policy and promotion of buying made-in-Nigeria products.

He also said other factors responsible for the growth include rehabilitation of the railway system, adoption of backward integration policy, zero per cent import duty on agricultural machinery, equipment and enzymes.

Jamodu emphasized the need for more consultations and interactions with stakeholders in the implementation procedures of composite cassava flour in bread.

This consultation, he said, should include the possible review of 15 percent levy imposed on wheat and special incentives to accelerate the manufacture of composite flour.

According to him, the real sector should not be overburdened with excessive taxes and affronted with multiplicity of taxes and levies.

On the planned introduction of the N5000 note by the Central Bank of Nigeria, the MAN’s boss said it is a negation of the cashless policy.

He said federal government should rather come up with realistic policies that will encourage the use of coins.
http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/index.php/business/176047-240-new-factories-open-in-a-year-man
Re: 240 New Factories In A Year By MAN by Nobody: 12:40am On Sep 06, 2012

2 Likes

Re: 240 New Factories In A Year By MAN by taharqa: 12:49am On Sep 06, 2012
Just last week I wrote this comment below to an ignorant poster who was saying that GEJ have not done anything, emphazising some of the FUNDAMENTAL things that the govt is doing and why it has convinced me( a "former" critic of govt and someone who did not vote for GEJ in the last elections cos of his party PDP ) that if some of these projects(Power Rail, Inland Waterway, Seaports, Agriculture etc ) can be completed and sustained as well paying more attention to others like(fighting Corruption more ; Dealing with the Security challenges; cutting waste in government and trimming bureaucracies to only what is necesary- Oronsaye Committee Report on my mind; Restructuring the nations politico-econmic structure to a sounder Federal System each component parts produce and compete amongst themselves etc etc ) , Nigeria would have finally have started to get it right and on its way to attain the graetness that her people so deserves. I didn't know that I was going to get some kind of validation this quick:

Major" achievements you said.

Do you have any idea of the extent of

meticulous work been done in the

Power Sector not just in the marked

improvements in Generation,

Transmission and Distribution but

esp in the Privatization and

concessioning of the sector? Are you

aware of the effects the reforms,

which is currently in its concluding

stage(Sept/Oct this year), would

have on the nation? This admin is

midwifery the greatest

transformation in the Power Sector

in this country's history.
http://sweetcrudereports.com/2012/04/25/gas-to-power-500mmcfd-of-gas-to-be-delivered-to-nipp-soon/
https://www.nairaland.com/1004060/something-wrong-power-improving/13#11639505

The nation is also undergoing its most

audacious developments in the

Transportation Sector- Rails, Inland

Waterways and Seaports. On rails,

the NRC that have been moribund for

very many years have been revived,

more workers re-engaged and most of

its dilapidated facilities across

the nation repaired; all the rail

tracks in the country are been

rehabilitated(actually most of the

tracks have been rehabilitated

already and some intra- and

interstate trains services have

started running after a very long time

in deed). The Standard Guage

Itakpe-Aladja-Warri rail track is

finally completed(with additions

planned) while the Modern Abuja-

Kaduna track is on going(about 30%

completion) just as the Double track

Lagos-Ibadan Modern(which is

different from the narrow guage

Lagos-Ibadan which is already

running trains) has been awarded

about 3 months ago.
http://leadership.ng/nga/articles/31659/2012/08/04/rail_rehabilitation_are_we_waiting_godot.html
file:///C:/Users/odia/Desktop/New%20folder/Newfolder/Nigeria-Federal+Government+Raise+Power+Output+9+000MW.htm

On Inland Waterways, the dredging of

the Lower Niger which links 9 states

on its axis and provide south-north

all year round navigation which

would ensure the cheap movements of

huge amounts of goods and humans,

has been completed with some

accompanying River Ports for the

first time in the country's history;

the dredging of River Benue has also

commenced.
http://www.shipsandports.org/detaildiscource.php?id=5
http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=87591:river-niger-now-a-beehive-of-commercial-activities&catid=81:maritime-watch&Itemid=591

The Seaports now work 24/7,

bureaucracy reduced and the amount of

time goods spend in the ports has

been halfed already(though not yet

up to the 48hrs target) while

Demorage costs have significantly

decreased(when was the last time you

heard of goods staying months on the

seas cos terrible congestions in the

pots and paying huge demorage).

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/stakeholders-count-gains-of-agencies-reduction-in-ports/115563/

Do you have any idea of the effects of

all theses on the economy going

forward especially as they are been

interconnected?(works on Roads need

to be accelerated though).

The most massive rehabilitation and

remodeling of airports across the

nation with about 11 of them is

ongoing; Kano International Airport

is for instance nearing completion.
http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/fg-puts-basa-fund-at-n11-54bn/

Do you have any idea what kind of

work is going on in the Agriculture

Sector?
http://www.newworldnigeria.com/pdf/AdesinaLondonBOIForumfinal.pdf

....As a Nigerian am sick and tired of these lies that some of you guys are peddling about the president not doing anything. You and others who feel otherwise should not be COWARDS and respond to these claims here . I am earnestly waiting for such responses. Now Good luck with that
Plz read through some of the reasons the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria gave as for the growth in d Industrial sector
Re: 240 New Factories In A Year By MAN by Demdem(m): 2:50am On Sep 06, 2012
musiwa7: name the 1o new factory in osun state or kwara or kogi or imo state

I respect MAN but I don't think they are right on this one. If these new industries are there, we all will see it. We aren't blind.

Besides kola Jamodu is a killer member. Hw was once an honourable minister of the republic I guess. Me think this is a political talk
Re: 240 New Factories In A Year By MAN by taharqa: 2:56am On Sep 06, 2012
musiwa7: name the 1o new factory in osun state or kwara or kogi or imo state
Wat a question. Plz write d MANUFACTURERS ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIA( MAN) to clarify if its chairman was misquoted by Dailytrust Newspaper. If he was misquoted, I will immediately acknowledge my mistake in relying on a national newspaper 4 info; you should also not 4get to plz ask for d 'correct' figures. If d figures above is reconfirmed however, and you still somehow have your doubts, d onus wud then be on you to explain to us which body is more qualified to provide data on manufacturing than d Manufacturers Association demselves AND why d same MAN dat year-in-year-out have been crying over declining Capacity Utilization and closure of factories wud dis yr be singing a diff song?

....oh, so you know: Nigeria had by far d largest Foreign Direct Investment( FDI) in Africa last year at almost $9billion- and dis is not even including big and small Local investments and also, not withstanding d activities of BokoH; I hope you do not think dat all these monies were on some 'Observation tour' in 9ja all tru last year...Thnx

http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/nigeria-leads-africa-with-8-92bn-fdi-report/
Re: 240 New Factories In A Year By MAN by Dpeacemaker101: 3:08am On Sep 06, 2012
There is no gain saying the fact that Jonathan administration is really working hard to fulfill his electoral promises. I told somebody yesterday that if all that is going on in every sector is completed by 2014, then Jonathan will have no rival in the 2015 elections. What the govt needs at this moment is maximum concentration and consistency of policy. Take time to go through all the sectors and you will see thorough transformation. The power sector takes the lead with general turn around of power plants and gas plants.
After privatisation we will see a whole new sector. Do I need to mention the renovation of airports to international standards? There is also the railway projects given to a Chinese firm to handle.
Forgotten roads like Benin-Ore, Enugu-Onitsha, Abuja-lokoja have been remebered for construction.
The PIB, Oronsanye restructuring, SWF by madam Okonjo, clearing of sea ports and commissioning of new ones. The projects are just too many. I wish them luck

2 Likes

Re: 240 New Factories In A Year By MAN by taharqa: 6:04am On Sep 06, 2012
I can now confirm that dis same figure was Also reported in an article in today's Guardian Newspaper wit even further info on d improvements in d manufacturing sector....

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=97889:man-affirms-rising-profile-of-industrial-sector&catid=31:business&Itemid=562

In today's Punch, another story on d slight improvement in Nigeria's position in d World's Competitive Index from 127 in 2010 to 115 last yr, was published- d factors that lead to the improvements and the Many other factors that is keeping a country like Nigeria which d report said had 'great potentials' at its current score were discussed(cos regardless of d slight improvement on d index, it is still shameful dat Nigeria is at d 115 position considering her considerable promise).
http://www.punchng.com/feature/nigerias-position-improves-in-global-competitiveness-report/

In a slightly similar vein, today's Leadership Newspaper reported dat d Foreign Reserves rose to about $39.6billion(SORRY: the actaual figure is $39.22billion ) 4rm $38.4billion just last week and $32billion early dis year, implying dat it is well on its way to attaining d $50billion mark set by d Minister of Finance by year's end

http://www.leadership.ng/nga/articles/34305/2012/09/06/external_reserves_hit_39bn.html
Re: 240 New Factories In A Year By MAN by dedeike: 6:12am On Sep 06, 2012
taharqa: I can now confirm dat dis same figure was Also reportd in an article in today's Guardian Newspaper wit even furda info on d improvements in d manufacturing sector.... In today's Punch is anoda story on d slight improvement in Nigeria's position in d World's Competitive Index from 127 in 2010 to 115 last yr- d factors that lead to the improvements and the Many other factors dat is keeping a country like Nigeria dat d report said had 'great potentials' in d its current score(cos regardless of d slighting improvement on d index, it is still shameful dat Nigeria is at d 115 position considering her considerable promise) were discussed. In a slightly similar vein, today's Leadership Newspaper reported dat d Foreign Reserves rose to about $39.6billion 4rm $38.4billion just last week and $32billion by early dis year, implying dat it wud it is well on its way to attaining d $50billion mark set by d Minister of Finance by year's end

Much to the shock and disappointment of haters, NIGERIA is gradually moving forward under the transformation agenda of President Goodluck Jonathan

2 Likes

Re: 240 New Factories In A Year By MAN by CyberG: 6:26am On Sep 06, 2012
LOL...I hope these people have not been watching too much of the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, NC where the democrats have been reeling out statistics with people to substantiate it? Maybe Jonathan will try to copy-cat it and display his usual PDP charade... grin grin
Re: 240 New Factories In A Year By MAN by Demdem(m): 8:07am On Sep 06, 2012
When there as no light (despite govt giving us encouraging figures), i complained bitterly. now that its manageable (much still needs to be done though) i feel i should encourage and praise the retardeen which am still doing till date even if its dependent on Rain.

The same reason for these new industries talked about by Jamodu (A PDP member). no be data or statistics i go chop or rely on. Instead its what i see on ground. Teacher, dont teach me Nonsense. Name these industries in question and i will shut my trap permanently.
Re: 240 New Factories In A Year By MAN by Kenistry(m): 9:03am On Sep 06, 2012
GEJ is no doubt doing grt tins in d country, bt 240 industries & 200,000 jobs? Den y am i still jobless with B.sc Ind chem, wen do dey all recruit all dose workers? I doubt MAN figures dou i hope it's true, cos we nid to move forward, capitalizin on d improved power supply. I will definitely vote GEJ agn, heLs d best President so far
Re: 240 New Factories In A Year By MAN by geeez: 9:30am On Sep 06, 2012
Yes I can confirm that a whole lot has been happening in Lagos, Ogun, Oyo and Osun states as factories have been springing up powered by indigenous and multinational folks. Looking at my marketing staff's customer acquisitions and balance sheets, not less than 200 of those factories have emerged in those states in the last 2 years

1 Like

Re: 240 New Factories In A Year By MAN by jmaine: 10:33am On Sep 06, 2012
Interesting development . .we need more of this . . . .
Re: 240 New Factories In A Year By MAN by abitex577(m): 12:42pm On Sep 06, 2012
We all need to encourage this government to achieve this feat and also better it by completing all the power projects and plug all corruption loop holes in government business!!!
Re: 240 New Factories In A Year By MAN by ujukala: 12:51pm On Sep 06, 2012
The factories are springing up but not at the rate MAN want us to believe. Anyway, kudos to you.
Re: 240 New Factories In A Year By MAN by sparkle10(m): 12:53pm On Sep 06, 2012
Kenistry: GEJ is no doubt doing grt tins in d country, bt 240 industries & 200,000 jobs? Den y am i still jobless with B.sc Ind chem, wen do dey all recruit all dose workers? I doubt MAN figures dou i hope it's true, cos we nid to move forward, capitalizin on d improved power supply. I will definitely vote GEJ agn, heLs d best President so far

Considering the number of unemployed, 200,000 is a tip of the icerberg though a step in the right direction. If you didn't get any of the jobs, it only means you're not in the best 200,000 unemployed youths of the country. Hopefully, your times come soon, first 1 million perhaps.
Re: 240 New Factories In A Year By MAN by Nobody: 12:56pm On Sep 06, 2012
Hmmm! I believe it`s true but the common man on the streets still have no job so maybe more factories are needed.
Re: 240 New Factories In A Year By MAN by Nobody: 12:57pm On Sep 06, 2012
Demdem:

I respect MAN but I don't think they are right on this one. If these new industries are there, we all will see it. We aren't blind.

Besides kola Jamodu is a killer member. Hw was once an honourable minister of the republic I guess. Me think this is a political talk
please were are the industries located? The only one I know is the newly opened industries in anambra! 240 new industries yet the rate of unemployment is high! These people will never stop feeding nigerians with lies. MAN ko! WOMAN ni! undecided
Re: 240 New Factories In A Year By MAN by jmaine: 1:01pm On Sep 06, 2012
berem: please were are the industries located? The only one I know is the newly opened industries in anambra! 240 new industries yet the rate of unemployment is high! These people will never stop feeding nigerians with lies. MAN ko! WOMAN ni! undecided

Embrace and apply suitable statistics to make better deductions, lest you appear too ignorant . .Thanks

1 Like

Re: 240 New Factories In A Year By MAN by emmykk(m): 1:05pm On Sep 06, 2012
God bless jonathan
Re: 240 New Factories In A Year By MAN by faithin9ja: 1:05pm On Sep 06, 2012
Pure water, plastic buckets, body lotion, soap, shoess and sandals, individuals and small businesses are opening everyday all over Nigeria. Do you think it's only Petro chemical factory, refinery that are factories?

even small workshop can be considered factory if they register with MAN

1 Like

Re: 240 New Factories In A Year By MAN by Aderostock(m): 1:22pm On Sep 06, 2012
The only region that is having all these factories is the South-west. Visit Otta, Agbara, mowe/ibafo, epe-outskirts, sango all in Ogun state,also visit bodija, ogbomoso, main ibadan all in Oyo state, Akure, oshogbo, Akure township, ilorin and ring road
Re: 240 New Factories In A Year By MAN by maigaskiya1: 1:22pm On Sep 06, 2012
Kenistry: GEJ is no doubt doing grt tins in d country, bt 240 industries & 200,000 jobs? Den y am i still jobless with B.sc Ind chem, wen do dey all recruit all dose workers? I doubt MAN figures dou i hope it's true, cos we nid to move forward, capitalizin on d improved power supply. I will definitely vote GEJ agn, heLs d best President so far
more confesions pls.all those caling gej a slowpoke gragualy we re knwng d slowpoke.boko haram hs faild.d north re tired my pepl na who dy lose nw.

1 Like

Re: 240 New Factories In A Year By MAN by Eluala(m): 1:24pm On Sep 06, 2012
There are also several 'bomb factories' discovered lately.grin

1 Like

Re: 240 New Factories In A Year By MAN by maigaskiya1: 1:27pm On Sep 06, 2012
In management u wil knw dat 90percent of busineses in america re smal busines nd u dnt expect dat evdry busines must take d status of a multi national structre b4 u knw dat d economy is growing a bit.200k jobs is a far cry 2 our unemployment figure bt its a step betar than noting
Re: 240 New Factories In A Year By MAN by gbokukueba(m): 1:29pm On Sep 06, 2012
The report is not complete, they should tell us how many of them closed within one year of operations. I work in manufacturing and we know of companies closing daily due to the very unfriendly business environment.
Re: 240 New Factories In A Year By MAN by Nobody: 1:38pm On Sep 06, 2012
jmaine:

Embrace and apply suitable statistics to make better deductions, lest you appear too ignorant . .Thanks
you are the ignorant one here! Why don't you come up with your own statistics and let's see if you are right?
Re: 240 New Factories In A Year By MAN by nawebco(m): 1:52pm On Sep 06, 2012
yes 240 factories is nothin in over 180million nigerians. this is an average of 7 factories for a whole state. What effect do we expect from that in a whole year. Anyway lets continue to watch and pray.
Re: 240 New Factories In A Year By MAN by OLISASDEJI(m): 2:01pm On Sep 06, 2012
Abeg name the industries......Lie lie people.Are we blind?240 wat.ah ahahaaaaa
Re: 240 New Factories In A Year By MAN by jmaine: 2:02pm On Sep 06, 2012
berem: you are the ignorant one here! Why don't you come up with your own statistics and let's see if you are right?

Before you exhibit more idiocy . . .Match the current unemployment rate of 23.9 % (Millions) Vs the 250,000 jobs created and compare favorably.

Then tell us why you feel the unemployment rate, still shouldn't be high . . .

Do you want us to also help you perform the simple arithmetic deductions on air ? undecided

berem: please were are the industries located? The only one I know is the newly opened industries in anambra! 240 new industries yet the rate of unemployment is high! These people will never stop feeding nigerians with lies. MAN ko! WOMAN ni! undecided
Re: 240 New Factories In A Year By MAN by Nobody: 2:13pm On Sep 06, 2012
jmaine:

Before you exhibit more idiocy . . .Match the current unemployment rate of 23.9 % (Millions) Vs the 250,000 jobs created and compare favorably.

Then tell us why you feel the unemployment rate, still shouldn't be high . . .

Do you want us to also help you perform the simple arithmetic deductions on air ? undecided

250,000 jobs created? Now you got my ribs cracking! Pure fallacy my friend! There is nothing like 250,000 jobs.its just on paper.BTW there's no need arguing with you.40 man laptop guys can't stop amazing me with their stewpidity! Smh!
Re: 240 New Factories In A Year By MAN by monosetale: 2:16pm On Sep 06, 2012
I pray and hope the figures are true. Iτ̅ would be a great stride for the nigerian economy
But hope dem nor add boko haram factories join that number oh. Factory ₪ǻ factory. .lol

(1) (2) (Reply)

U.S. Investors Plan Hospital For Anambra / Latest News:- Nigeria Army Recaptured Gwoza Town / Buhari, PDP Northern Govs, Legislators In Secret Meeting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.