Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,321 members, 7,811,951 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:11 AM

Phylicia Rashad: Letter To Her Younger Self - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Phylicia Rashad: Letter To Her Younger Self (7065 Views)

See The Dirty Things This Shameless Lady Is Doing With Her Younger Brother / When You Meet Your Bae Family & See Her Younger Sister Is The Most Beautiful One / The Wife Of A Friend Of Mine Is Sleeping With Her Younger Brother. Help! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Phylicia Rashad: Letter To Her Younger Self by Nobody: 11:50am On Sep 12, 2012

1 Like

Re: Phylicia Rashad: Letter To Her Younger Self by Nobody: 12:46am On Jul 11, 2013
Reading this again ...got me thinking again.
Re: Phylicia Rashad: Letter To Her Younger Self by Nobody: 1:07am On Jul 11, 2013
I absolutely love Phylicia Rashad and I grew up watching The Cosby Show, dreaming of having a family like the Cosby's when I get to that stage in my journey on this planet. And I also believe she can become as inspirational and legendary as Maya Angelou - for young black girls around the world.

However, I'll have to disagree with her. No "man" on this planet is an Island. You definitely need someone who loves you; who's your best friend; who has the same passion as you do; who cares about you; and who will ride for you no matter what - to be able to get to your full potentials on this planet. And that's where relationship is important. The only problem is that most people go into relationships for the wrong reasons hence why they always end up distracted!!

Still love you, Aunt Phylicia Rashad! kiss

2 Likes

Re: Phylicia Rashad: Letter To Her Younger Self by birdman(m): 3:12am On Jul 11, 2013
^Yeah, I have to disagree with her this one time. Ive heard her give a full interview before. I believe she is over-thinking the past. The above sounds really good, but its bad advice imo.
Re: Phylicia Rashad: Letter To Her Younger Self by habapalapa: 10:03am On Jul 11, 2013
I believe she was talking to her fellow women, not too sure if men can really relate to her words...

Either way, great advice!

1 Like

Re: Phylicia Rashad: Letter To Her Younger Self by MrsChima(f): 4:19pm On Jul 11, 2013
Black men ain't shit
Re: Phylicia Rashad: Letter To Her Younger Self by Nobody: 12:19am On Jul 12, 2013
shymexx: I absolutely love Phylicia Rashad and I grew up watching The Cosby Show, dreaming of having a family like the Cosby's when I get to that stage in my journey on this planet. And I also believe she can become as inspirational and legendary as Maya Angelou - for young black girls around the world.

However, I'll have to disagree with her. No "man" on this planet is an Island. You definitely need someone who loves you; who's your best friend; who has the same passion as you do; who cares about you; and who will ride for you no matter what - to be able to get to your full potentials on this planet. And that's where relationship is important. The only problem is that most people go into relationships for the wrong reasons hence why they always end up distracted!!

Still love you, Aunt Phylicia Rashad! kiss

Shymexx, she isn't advocating singleness. She's saying "Pursue relationships when you're truly ready and when you do, be careful of who you choose". She was obviously reflecting on her own experiences as a young girl and was trying to pass on her lessons to young people seeking relationships, especially to those who jump into relationships too quickly, too soon - when they haven't developed a relationship with themselves first.
Re: Phylicia Rashad: Letter To Her Younger Self by Nobody: 12:22am On Jul 12, 2013
birdman: ^Yeah, I have to disagree with her this one time. Ive heard her give a full interview before. I believe she is over-thinking the past. The above sounds really good, but its bad advice imo.

How's she giving bad advice? Kindly elaborate.
Re: Phylicia Rashad: Letter To Her Younger Self by Nobody: 12:24am On Jul 12, 2013
habapalapa: I believe she was talking to her fellow women, not too sure if men can really relate to her words...

Either way, great advice!

Hehe, maybe that's it. =p
Re: Phylicia Rashad: Letter To Her Younger Self by Nobody: 1:17am On Jul 12, 2013
Yield:
Shymexx, she isn't advocating singleness. She's saying "Pursue relationships when you're truly ready and when you do, be careful of who you choose". She was obviously reflecting on her own experiences as a young girl and was trying to pass on her lessons to young people seeking relationships, especially to those who jump into relationships too quickly, too soon - when they haven't developed a relationship with themselves first.

My bad, I didn't know that was the underlying message. Then, I guess she's speaking to people like me - people trying to find themselves before giving relationship(s) another go.

1 Like

Re: Phylicia Rashad: Letter To Her Younger Self by birdman(m): 5:18am On Jul 12, 2013
Yield:

I listened to her give an indepth interview sometime back, and she kinda explained some of her views. Her advice sounds good until you realize she had 3 marriages, the last to the famous Ahmad Rashad which also ended in divorce. Because of her moral upbringing. I think she feels a certain anger about being the woman she would love to hate...the serial divorcee.

Her advice is a reaction to this hate. She thinks by moving towards the other extreme, finding love late, she could have avoided the above. Maybe, but then there are no guarantees this will work either. You are more likely to become that old, educated, well-traveled spinster with lots of missed chances for a relationship. Its already slim pickings for good men out there. Why would you turn down a legit chance at romance if you met the right guy?

1 Like

Re: Phylicia Rashad: Letter To Her Younger Self by habapalapa: 7:29am On Jul 12, 2013
^ my guy, her advice is as objective as it can be. Personally, I don't know how her life decisions or marriages are a justification of how "wrong" this is.

...As I said before, most women (and some men)will have a thorough understanding of what she's talking about. There's nothing wrong in impacting to the younger generation life lessons that she has learnt while looking/searching for love.

I would come to think that if most women understand perfectly her message, it will save a lot of future heartaches that occur especially in teenage years when young girls are naïve about their emotions and vulnerable to young selfish boys who seek only sexual gratification.

Guy, the woman is SO correct in her words and you know that. smiley

1 Like

Re: Phylicia Rashad: Letter To Her Younger Self by birdman(m): 1:17pm On Jul 12, 2013
^anyways she is still hot. I wonder why she kept the last guys surname
Re: Phylicia Rashad: Letter To Her Younger Self by habapalapa: 1:32pm On Jul 12, 2013
^ definitely!
I don't know why she still keeps the surname.
Re: Phylicia Rashad: Letter To Her Younger Self by snthesis(m): 7:44am On Aug 28, 2013
birdman: ^anyways she is still hot. I wonder why she kept the last guys surname
cos shes given up on marriage
Re: Phylicia Rashad: Letter To Her Younger Self by nenergy(m): 12:04am On Sep 07, 2013
I'm glad i stumbled on this. Thanks for sharing! Its not easy, but Waiting till one is READY helps one discover self and unleashed potentials. I know coz its working for me.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Awful Ways To Break Up With A Nigerian Girl / He Is Into Me But Found Out He Is Possesed Help!!!! / What Every Guy Need To Know Before Wooing A Girl.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.