Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,078 members, 7,953,294 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 01:39 PM

Is Science More Accurate Than The Bible? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Science More Accurate Than The Bible? (24144 Views)

Jesus Way Of Praying/christians Way Of Praying, Which Of These Is More Accurate / "God Particle" Found Is Science Attempting To Mock God? / Why Is Science And Reasoning Such A Bad Thing? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Science More Accurate Than The Bible? by 2good(m): 2:18pm On Sep 15, 2012
Joagbaje:

That was the understanding of the writer then. And that was what scientist taught in that generation. One the was clear . The sun stood still for a day. It is scientifically proven that a day is missing.

Its a shame that people regard you as a leader and spiritual father. Nigeria is really doomed with people like you heading the affairs of some men. You need to go back to the Dark age.

2 Likes

Re: Is Science More Accurate Than The Bible? by truthislight: 5:38pm On Sep 15, 2012
tobechi20: Do u think that science is more accurate than bible?

the bible is not a science text book.

But when the bible touches on scintific matters it is always spot on.

When science gets it right then it will rhyme with what the bible said on those points.

1 Like

Re: Is Science More Accurate Than The Bible? by truthislight: 5:42pm On Sep 15, 2012
manmustwac: So how old is this planet according to the bible then 6 to 10'000 years? undecided While science give a more accurate description like 4 billion years

science dating system has been modified how many times? Can you say?
Re: Is Science More Accurate Than The Bible? by truthislight: 5:48pm On Sep 15, 2012
inurmind: To show u how inaccurate and basless the bible is, here is an example:
in revelation, John said he saw STARS fall from the sky to the earth.lol.

Mind u some stars are even bigger than the sun which is so many times bigger than earth.
So tell me how that is possible.

My friends pls start thinking and do not be limited to the circumstances of ur birth.
The bible is just a bunch of fairy tales by people limited to the undertanding of their time.

plane ignorance!

4 Likes

Re: Is Science More Accurate Than The Bible? by Joagbaje(m): 6:00pm On Sep 15, 2012
2good:

Its a shame that people regard you as a leader and spiritual father. Nigeria is really doomed with people like you heading the affairs of some men. You need to go back to the Dark age.

Just study your bible , you will be fine.

1 Like

Re: Is Science More Accurate Than The Bible? by chrisevans(m): 6:09pm On Sep 15, 2012
Everything that WORKS around us is a product of scientific method meticulously followed by intellectuals..cars, phones, light bulbs..everything..the bible is full of errors..it contradicts nature and it also contradicts itself...how can a book dat says insects have four legs be considered accurate (leviticus 11:23)??

3 Likes

Re: Is Science More Accurate Than The Bible? by 2good(m): 7:00pm On Sep 15, 2012
Joagbaje:

Just study your bible , you will be fine.

The only thing I like about you is that you are very civil in public discussion which I really admire and respect in your response to posts. But you reasoning is really skewed because of the irrationality in your religious believes. Try to do proper research before making posts and don't just depend on what the bible says.
Re: Is Science More Accurate Than The Bible? by 2good(m): 7:02pm On Sep 15, 2012
truthislight:

plane ignorance!

You are the ignorant one here. If the person you quoted is ignorant, why not bring a counter proof rather than making a senseless comment?
Re: Is Science More Accurate Than The Bible? by esere826: 7:04pm On Sep 15, 2012
@Op

tricky question.

I think they compliment each other sha
Re: Is Science More Accurate Than The Bible? by Freksy(m): 4:36pm On Sep 16, 2012
thehomer: The Bible is a collection of stories and myths. Science is a tool we use to understand the universe we find ourselves. They cannot be compared.

"He stretches out the north over empty space; He hangs the earth on nothing". -Job 26:7 (NKJV)

When did Job made the above statement and when did scientists finally fathom that the earth is hung upon nothing?

Were the people then, and even those of later centuries not holding the mythical view that the earth is supported by four big elephants who stood on sea turtles?

Though the Bible was not written as a science book, but when it touches on science, it does so in a way that cannot be refuted - not even by modern science.

10 Likes

Re: Is Science More Accurate Than The Bible? by Freksy(m): 10:00pm On Sep 16, 2012
Delafruita:
in essence the bible wasnt written by friggin inspiration but by men who wrote based on the prevailing knowledge of their times.finally we agree on something

The water cycle was not fully understood until about 30 B.C. by a Roman engineer named Marcus Vitruvius. Yet every aspect of the water cycle was fully revealed to mankind in about 1600 B.C.! The Bible's description is in perfect harmony with modern science. Eccl 1:6-7; 11:3; Job 26:8; Amos 9:6. Vitruvius was about 1600 years too late!

Was the knowledge of water cycle prevailing in the time of Job, Solomon and Amos among their contemporaries?

Where was Vitruvius when Job uttered the following:

"For He draws up drops of water, Which distill as rain from the mist, Which the clouds drop down And pour abundantly on man". -Job 36:27-28 (NKJV)

5 Likes

Re: Is Science More Accurate Than The Bible? by Freksy(m): 11:38pm On Sep 16, 2012
inurmind: To show u how inaccurate and basless the bible is, here is an example:
in revelation, John said he saw STARS fall from the sky to the earth.lol.

Mind u some stars are even bigger than the sun which is so many times bigger than earth.
So tell me how that is possible.

My friends pls start thinking and do not be limited to the circumstances of ur birth.
The bible is just a bunch of fairy tales by people limited to the undertanding of their time.

The book of revelation is full of symbolic expressions. Your comment shows the depth of your ignorance regarding this fact. See below and tell me who is behind who in the knowledge of stars?

The Bible stated that the stars cannot be counted: For centuries, scientists and astronomers thought they could count the precise number of stars in the universe. Brahe, for example, said there were 777.

Kepler claimed the total was 1,005.

Hipparchus said there were 1,022 stars.

Ptolemy raised the number to 1,056.

Eventually, scientists, including the great Galileo, concluded that the stars could not be numbered, just as the Bible had always claimed:

"I will make the descendants of David my servant and the Levites who minister before me as countless as the stars of the sky and as measureless as the sand on the seashore" (Jeremiah 33:22, NIV).

"He took him outside and said, "Look up at the heavens and count the stars--if indeed you can count them." Then he said to him, "So shall your offspring be."" - (Genesis 15:5, NIV).

Questions: Between bible writers - Moses /Jeremiah - and scientists, who were the first to know that the stars could not be counted? Who were the ones limited in knowledge?

Once again, though the bible was not written as a science book, but when it touches on science, it does so irrefutably.

14 Likes

Re: Is Science More Accurate Than The Bible? by mkmyers45(m): 12:00am On Sep 17, 2012
Yes the bible did try but not without obvious mistakes Is the earth flat/stationary? Psalm 104:5 Who laid the foundations of the earth, that it should not be removed for ever. 2. (Prov 8:26-27 NRSV) when he had not
yet made earth and fields, or the
world’s first bits of soil. When he
established the heavens, I was there, when he drew a circle on the face of the deep, 3. (Dan 4:10-11 NRSV) Upon my bed this
is what I saw; there was a tree at the center of the earth, and its height was great. The tree grew great and strong, its top reached to heaven, and it was visible to the ends of the whole earth. ...

1 Like

Re: Is Science More Accurate Than The Bible? by Kay17: 12:21am On Sep 17, 2012
JeSoul: Is Physics more accurate than Philosophy?

Philosophy is Mother of Physics

1 Like

Re: Is Science More Accurate Than The Bible? by wiegraf: 12:38am On Sep 17, 2012
Kay 17:

Philosophy is Mother of Physics

This is a worthy debate, perhaps in another form.
Should we replace concepts like 'the soul' with hard science? In this case say neuroscience, etc. Will there always be a place for philosophy?
Re: Is Science More Accurate Than The Bible? by Freksy(m): 1:01am On Sep 17, 2012
mkmyers45: Yes the bible did try but not without obvious mistakes Is the earth flat/stationary? Psalm 104:5 Who laid the foundations of the earth, that it should not be removed for ever. 2. (Prov 8:26-27 NRSV) when he had not
established the heavens, I was there, when he drew a circle on the face of the deep, 3. (Dan 4:10-11 NRSV) Upon my bed this
is what I saw; there was a tree at the center of the earth, and its height was great. The tree grew great and strong, its top reached to heaven, and it was visible to the ends of the whole earth. ...

Brother, the bible has never given any mental picture of a flat earth. Rather, it had being a well known science mantra.

You may be surprised to learn that the Bible revealed that the earth is round. Job 26:10, Prov 8:27, Isaiah 40:22, Amos 9:6. Today, we chuckle at the people of the fifteenth century who feared sailing because they thought they would fall over the edge of the flat earth. Yet the Bible revealed the truth in 1000 B.C. 2500 years before man discovered it for himself!

In various verses, the Bible says the earth is round and hangs in space. It took a long time for science to catch up and reach the same conclusions. Copernicus made the discovery in 1475. But the Bible always knew. Here is a related Bible verse that was written more than 2500 years ago, and more than 1000 years before Copernicus:

"He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth..." (Isaiah 40:22,NIV). (By the way, the Hebrew language at that time did not have a word for "sphere," only for "circle."wink

It's a bit funny the way you quote just a section of Nebuchadnezzar's dream at Daniel 4: 10-11 and take it literally. Please read from verse 20 for the interpretation of the dream.

That great tree is not literal. In the Scriptures, trees can symbolize individuals, rulers, and kingdoms. (Psalm 1:3; Jeremiah 17:7, 8; Ezekiel, chapter 31) Like the immense tree of his dream, Nebuchadnezzar had "grown great and become strong" as the head of a world power........Babylon as the world power.

10 Likes

Re: Is Science More Accurate Than The Bible? by mkmyers45(m): 1:15am On Sep 17, 2012
Its not true..Hebrew had a word for sphere/ball - Dur (רוד)
Re: Is Science More Accurate Than The Bible? by mkmyers45(m): 1:22am On Sep 17, 2012
Who Wrote the Book of Job and when?
Re: Is Science More Accurate Than The Bible? by ijawkid(m): 6:49am On Sep 17, 2012
mkmyers45: Who Wrote the Book of Job and when?

U wanna know??

But 1st,are u convinced that a book that is as old as d bible can contain truths about our universe even b4 science gained its ground??

D bible my bro is indeed a book from God...

8 Likes

Re: Is Science More Accurate Than The Bible? by mkmyers45(m): 7:13am On Sep 17, 2012
ijawkid:

U wanna know??

But 1st,are u convinced that a book that is as old as d bible can contain truths about our universe even b4 science gained its ground??

D bible my bro is indeed a book from God...
When and Who wrote the book for us to say how old and magnificent it was...
Re: Is Science More Accurate Than The Bible? by truthislight: 8:07am On Sep 17, 2012
mkmyers45: Yes the bible did try but not without obvious mistakes Is the earth flat/stationary? Psalm 104:5 Who laid the foundations of the earth, that it should not be removed for ever. 2. (Prov 8:26-27 NRSV) when he had not

plane ignorance again!

In your estimation the term foundation must means fixation on the soil?

That same job had said that the earth is hanging on Nothing, how can you later imagine that the word "foundation" was ancor to soil rather than the earth in it orbit is well "exterblished" and will not "move" away from it exterblish spot?

You of all person i imagined should know better but no! was i wrong!

mkmyers45: is what I saw; there was a tree at the center of the earth, and its height was great. The tree grew great and strong, its top reached to heaven, and it was visible to the ends of the whole earth. ...

this again is plain ignorance.

If you dont know that this was a figurative/symbolic "statement"(tree) use in that prophesy all you should have done is at least ask.

The tree there refers to a mighty king/kingdom that came to be as a world power and all mankind(birds) were under it influence as shown by birds feeding on it. Read Amos 2:9 to know what trees means in the bible when used prophetically.

what you quoted was a prophesy for babylonian world power.

4 Likes

Re: Is Science More Accurate Than The Bible? by Delafruita(m): 8:14am On Sep 17, 2012
Freksy:

The water cycle was not fully understood until about 30 B.C. by a Roman engineer named Marcus Vitruvius. Yet every aspect of the water cycle was fully revealed to mankind in about 1600 B.C.! The Bible's description is in perfect harmony with modern science. Eccl 1:6-7; 11:3; Job 26:8; Amos 9:6. Vitruvius was about 1600 years too late!

Was the knowledge of water cycle prevailing in the time of Job, Solomon and Amos among their contemporaries?

Where was Vitruvius when Job penned down the following:

"For He draws up drops of water, Which distill as rain from the mist, Which the clouds drop down And pour abundantly on man". -Job 36:27-28 (NKJV)
you intend to opine that people of the time were very dumb.however,knowledge has been prevalent since the biginning of the world.the people of the time might not have penned it perhaps because they had no need to.

secondly,you are assuming the bible was written during the time abraham,noah and the others were alive.you assume it was written during those savage years and you marvel at how they knew such things.however,the old was written much later.in case you didnt know,

"Genesis , Exodus , Leviticus , book of Numbers and Deuteronomy - make up the Torah , the story of Israel from the Genesis creation narrative to the death of Moses . Few scholars today doubt that it reached its present form in the Persian period (538-332 BC) , and that its authors were the elite of exilic returnees who controlled the Temple at that time . The books of Joshua , Judges , Samuel and Kings follow, forming a history of Israel from the Conquest of Canaan to the Siege of Jerusalem c.587 BC : there is a broad consensus among scholars that these originated as a single work (the so-called " Deuteronomistic history) during the Babylonian exile of the 6th century BC. The two Books of Chronicles cover much the same material as the Pentateuch and Deuteronomistic history and probably date from the 4th century BC. Chronicles links with the books of Ezra and Nehemiah , which were probably finished during the 3rd century BC. Catholic and Orthodox Old Testaments contain two (Catholic Old Testament) to four (Orthodox) Books of Maccabees , written in the 2nd and 1st centuries BC.
The history books make up around half the total content of the Old Testament. Of the remainder, the books of the various prophets - Isaiah , Jeremiah , Ezekiel , Daniel and the twelve " minor prophets " - were written between the 8th and 6th centuries BC, with the exceptions of Jonah and Daniel , which were written much later. The "wisdom" and other books - Job , Proverbs and so on - date from between the 5th century BC and the 2nd or 1st BC, with the exception of some of the Psalms "

in essence,they actually wrote based on the prevailing knowledge of the time
Re: Is Science More Accurate Than The Bible? by truthislight: 8:20am On Sep 17, 2012
mkmyers45: Its not true..Hebrew had a word for sphere/ball - Dur (רוד)

when was that Isaiah written?
and please cite any where the word sphere was use in the hebrews scriptures befor that Isaiah statement.

If you should come out to make that statement, you should be ready to defend it.

Else, stop exposing your ign....

Besides, is that all you've got?
Re: Is Science More Accurate Than The Bible? by mkmyers45(m): 8:21am On Sep 17, 2012
truthislight:

plane ignorance again!

In your estimation the term foundation must means fixation on the soil?

That same job had said that the earth is hanging on Nothing, how can you later imagine that the word "foundation" was ancor to soil rather than the earth in it orbit is well "exterblished" and will not "move" away from it exterblish spot?

You of all person i imagined should know better but no! was i wrong!

this again is plain ignorance.

If you dont know that this was a figurative/symbolic "statement"(tree) use in that prophesy all you should have done is at least ask.

The tree there refers to a mighty king/kingdom that came to be as a world power and all mankind(birds) were under it influence as shown by birds feeding on it. Read Amos 2:9 to know what trees means in the bible when used prophetically.

what you quoted was a prophesy for babylonian world power.
Why are you plainly trying to be hard-eared? Is Circle and Sphere the same? Common, In Genesis God alledgedly us one day to create the Stars and Planetary bodies as objects for signs...Me and you that is wrong
Re: Is Science More Accurate Than The Bible? by mkmyers45(m): 8:25am On Sep 17, 2012
Genesis 11:1-9 The Tower of Babel
1 Now the whole world had one
language and a common speech.
2 As men moved eastward, they found a plain in Shinar and settled there.
3 They said to each other, "Come, let's make bricks and bake them
thoroughly." They used brick instead of stone, and tar for mortar.
4 Then they said, "Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves and
not be scattered over the face of the whole earth."
5 But the LORD came down to see the city and the tower that the men were building. 6 The LORD said, "If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. 7 Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other."
8 So the LORD scattered them from
there over all the earth, and they
stopped building the city. 9 That is why it was called Babel —
because there the LORD confused the language of the whole world. From there the LORD scattered them over the
face of the whole earth. Not only these verses are seriously very insulting to the Almighty because they present Him as a GOD who feared men, but they also reveal a very serious scientific blunder through suggesting that the earth is both flat and sitting still in the universe

1 Like

Re: Is Science More Accurate Than The Bible? by truthislight: 8:29am On Sep 17, 2012
mkmyers45: When and Who wrote the book for us to say how old and magnificent it was...

you a catholics surprise me.

You are suppose to know the writer of Job.

Please stay on the topic. Cause i know you very well, it is now your intent to lead this discussion to a different angle.

You wish to derail this thread.

If your question is not about science and the bible dont ask.

Common "RUN" you seem to be of no good as a christian.

I for one will not answer any question that is not about science and the bible on this thread.

2 Likes

Re: Is Science More Accurate Than The Bible? by mkmyers45(m): 8:33am On Sep 17, 2012
truthislight:

you a catholics surprise me.

You are suppose to know the writer of Job.

Please stay on the topic. Cause i know you very well, it is now your intent to lead this discussion to a different angle.

You wish to derail this thread.

If your question is not about science and the bible dont ask.

Common "RUN" you seem to be of no good as a christian.

I for one will not answer any question that is not about science and the bible on this thread.
Oga mi no vex o but i am not a catholic o..poince of colection
Re: Is Science More Accurate Than The Bible? by truthislight: 8:36am On Sep 17, 2012
Delafruita:
you intend to opine that people of the time were very dumb.however,knowledge has been prevalent since the biginning of the world.the people of the time might not have penned it perhaps because they had no need to.

secondly,you are assuming the bible was written during the time abraham,noah and the others were alive.you assume it was written during those savage years and you marvel at how they knew such things.however,the old was written much later.in case you didnt know,

"Genesis , Exodus , Leviticus , book of Numbers and Deuteronomy - make up the Torah , the story of Israel from the Genesis creation narrative to the death of Moses . Few scholars today doubt that it reached its present form in the Persian period (538-332 BC) , and that its authors were the elite of exilic returnees who controlled the Temple at that time . The books of Joshua , Judges , Samuel and Kings follow, forming a history of Israel from the Conquest of Canaan to the Siege of Jerusalem c.587 BC : there is a broad consensus among scholars that these originated as a single work (the so-called " Deuteronomistic history) during the Babylonian exile of the 6th century BC. The two Books of Chronicles cover much the same material as the Pentateuch and Deuteronomistic history and probably date from the 4th century BC. Chronicles links with the books of Ezra and Nehemiah , which were probably finished during the 3rd century BC. Catholic and Orthodox Old Testaments contain two (Catholic Old Testament) to four (Orthodox) Books of Maccabees , written in the 2nd and 1st centuries BC.
The history books make up around half the total content of the Old Testament. Of the remainder, the books of the various prophets - Isaiah , Jeremiah , Ezekiel , Daniel and the twelve " minor prophets " - were written between the 8th and 6th centuries BC, with the exceptions of Jonah and Daniel , which were written much later. The "wisdom" and other books - Job , Proverbs and so on - date from between the 5th century BC and the 2nd or 1st BC, with the exception of some of the Psalms "

in essence,they actually wrote based on the prevailing knowledge of the time

guy you miss your way completely.

The age of the bible is not the topic but about bible and science.

What ever your head tells you about the age of the bible please keep it to yourself and face the op.

Dont derail this thread.

3 Likes

Re: Is Science More Accurate Than The Bible? by mkmyers45(m): 8:36am On Sep 17, 2012
truthislight:

when was that Isaiah written?
and please cite any where the word sphere was use in the hebrews scriptures befor that Isaiah statement.

If you should come out to make that statement, you should be ready to defend it.

Else, stop exposing your ign....

Besides, is that all you've got?
He will surely violently turn and toss thee like a ball (Dur) into a large country: there shalt thou die, and there the chariots of thy glory shall be the shame of thy lord's house. (Isaiah 22:18)
Re: Is Science More Accurate Than The Bible? by truthislight: 8:38am On Sep 17, 2012
mkmyers45: Why are you plainly trying to be hard-eared? Is Circle and Sphere the same? Common, In Genesis God alledgedly us one day to create the Stars and Planetary bodies as objects for signs...Me and you that is wrong

why not read this, 2peter 3:8

Aday = 1kyears
Re: Is Science More Accurate Than The Bible? by ijawkid(m): 8:45am On Sep 17, 2012
mkmyers45: When and Who wrote the book for us to say how old and magnificent it was...

Deep down u knw how old d bible is and for hw long it has survived.....

U shuld know.....or shuld I tell u??
Re: Is Science More Accurate Than The Bible? by mkmyers45(m): 8:45am On Sep 17, 2012
truthislight:

why not read this, 2peter 3:8

Aday = 1kyears
Ok, but the book of Jubilee actually works with a literal 6-day creation as pointed by Holy Ghost filled Olaadegbu...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Iginla Donates N10m To A Muslim Acid Victim, Sponsors Her To India / Why Do Many Christian Youths Live Double Standard Lives? / Pastor Adeboye In Enugu, Received By Governor Ugwuanyi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.