Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,015 members, 7,838,553 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 04:08 AM

How Much Is Your PHCN Bill For August? - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Much Is Your PHCN Bill For August? (22030 Views)

Share Your This Month PHCN Bill Here / Iara Oshiomhole In Imo State For August Meeting (photo) / Man's Hand Chopped Off Over #100 PHCN Bill - See Picture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Is Your PHCN Bill For August? by jpphilips(m): 8:00pm On Sep 16, 2012
9free:
Thank you joor....... The guy na bloody liar!!!

curb ur childishness, the guy didnt specify what he is using the electricity for, the fact that your father fires two electric kettles and one trident radio doesnt mean people dont have heavy equipments of industrial scale.

Or you think you pay the same bill with breweries and plastic companies?

SMH
Re: How Much Is Your PHCN Bill For August? by infolpf: 2:51pm On Sep 17, 2012
jp philips:

curb ur childishness, the guy didnt specify what he is using the electricity for, the fact that your father fires two electric kettles and one trident radio doesnt mean people dont have heavy equipments of industrial scale.

Or you think you pay the same bill with breweries and plastic companies?

SMH

Reasoning NLanders like 'jp philips' remind me sometimes why I stay on NLand - there are a few people out there with more than 1 brain cell! Thank you jp Philips.

From KOBOJUNKIE: "While you make very valid points, I believe you need to have someone take a close look at your bill. Even here in America(we are supposed to have electricity that costs as much as you do per KWH in Nigeria), the average American home that gets 24/7 electricty(no breaks) DOES NOT, I repeat, DOES NOT pay anything close to what you pay. For instance, I live in a comfortably lit 4 bedroom apartment and my average bill each month is about $45 (Naira 6975). I don't understand how anyone in their right mind could claim that paying between N60,000 - N110,000 a month on electricity is for comfort. It does not make a lick of sense."

@ Kobojunkie -
I have read a few of your posts over time, but I really think you have done yourself a disservice with the above post. I would have expected you to ask questions before you jump on the typical Nigerian "na lie jor" bandwagon. Fact - My home in Lagos is at 1004 Estate, where the freaking Nazi's who run this place charge N75 per kilowatt (or per credit unit). PHCN charges N12 per kwh! The premium charged is supposed to cover diesel and maintenance, but IMHO, includes a HUGE profit margin for them. Now, In an average month when I am here, I use approximately 1200 credit units. How, you ask?? Easily - Everyday, with general kitchen appliances - a fridge/freezer, and standalone small freezer, an electric range (cooker), electric water heater turned on 2 hours in the morning, lights (yes, we switch them off when not needed), washer & dryer, tv sets, Computers, Satellite receivers, 3 fans, and no more than 2 A/C's running at night, we burn up easily 40 - 60 kwh or units per day! At N75 per kwh, Do the math.

I have met several people here on the estate who pay twice as much as I do! Yes, kobojunkie, it is for my comfort, and knowing that my baby sleeps, well, like a baby ;o)! Light is 24/7, and I dont have to worry about diesel supply (which at my previous home cost N300,000 per month!) or generator switch overs in the middle of the night. I can have a cold drink whenever I open up the fridge! We have food in the fridge that goes bad only if left uneaten for too long, not because the lights have been out for days on end! I can order fresh pasteurized milk for my son without worrying about it curdling!! Until you have lived in current day Nigeria for a period, you dont know what that means. Like I said previously, it hurts like hell to fork out the cash, but I pay it because I have effectively reduced my power bill by over 50%, and also because I am smug as hell when my family and friends run over to spend the night thanks to generator problems.

To your other point - When not in Nigeria, I live in the US, and my 5 bedroom house runs on approximately $80 except in the summer when my family of four consumes more power, then we run approximately $150 fighting the notorious Atlanta heat. Now, I NEVER, as a policy compare the way things run and cost of living in the US with Nigeria. Just my policy that keeps me sane, and frankly it is just silly to do so (Nigeria is called a developing nation for a reason, right?), makes everyone who does it sound like a spoiled over indulged child.

Lesson? 1) Ask questions when in doubt; 2) Nigeria is Nigeria, the US is the US!
Re: How Much Is Your PHCN Bill For August? by DisGuy: 11:44am On Oct 10, 2012
BUMP

any updates? more crazy biill? more pre paid meters?
Re: How Much Is Your PHCN Bill For August? by gabe: 12:18pm On Oct 10, 2012
info@lpf:

Reasoning NLanders like 'jp philips' remind me sometimes why I stay on NLand - there are a few people out there with more than 1 brain cell! Thank you jp Philips.

@ Kobojunkie -
I have read a few of your posts over time, but I really think you have done yourself a disservice with the above post. I would have expected you to ask questions before you jump on the typical Nigerian "na lie jor" bandwagon. Fact - My home in Lagos is at 1004 Estate, where the freaking Nazi's who run this place charge N75 per kilowatt (or per credit unit). PHCN charges N12 per kwh! The premium charged is supposed to cover diesel and maintenance, but IMHO, includes a HUGE profit margin for them. Now, In an average month when I am here, I use approximately 1200 credit units. How, you ask?? Easily - Everyday, with general kitchen appliances - a fridge/freezer, and standalone small freezer, an electric range (cooker), electric water heater turned on 2 hours in the morning, lights (yes, we switch them off when not needed), washer & dryer, tv sets, Computers, Satellite receivers, 3 fans, and no more than 2 A/C's running at night, we burn up easily 40 - 60 kwh or units per day! At N75 per kwh, Do the math.

I have met several people here on the estate who pay twice as much as I do! Yes, kobojunkie, it is for my comfort, and knowing that my baby sleeps, well, like a baby ;o)! Light is 24/7, and I dont have to worry about diesel supply (which at my previous home cost N300,000 per month!) or generator switch overs in the middle of the night. I can have a cold drink whenever I open up the fridge! We have food in the fridge that goes bad only if left uneaten for too long, not because the lights have been out for days on end! I can order fresh pasteurized milk for my son without worrying about it curdling!! Until you have lived in current day Nigeria for a period, you dont know what that means. Like I said previously, it hurts like hell to fork out the cash, but I pay it because I have effectively reduced my power bill by over 50%, and also because I am smug as hell when my family and friends run over to spend the night thanks to generator problems.

To your other point - When not in Nigeria, I live in the US, and my 5 bedroom house runs on approximately $80 except in the summer when my family of four consumes more power, then we run approximately $150 fighting the notorious Atlanta heat. Now, I NEVER, as a policy compare the way things run and cost of living in the US with Nigeria. Just my policy that keeps me sane, and frankly it is just silly to do so (Nigeria is called a developing nation for a reason, right?), makes everyone who does it sound like a spoiled over indulged child.

Lesson? 1) Ask questions when in doubt; 2) Nigeria is Nigeria, the US is the US!

So u believe its okay because u can afford to pay? It didn't occur to your elitist brain cells that the energy used to power our stations have a lower cost than the US and labor costs are also lower here thus we should expect a lower rate than the US? If u like, make a monthly donation from ur big purse to PHCN. The rest of us demand fair billing!
Re: How Much Is Your PHCN Bill For August? by Nobody: 1:20pm On Oct 10, 2012
taharqa: I tk complete exception to this LIE. You may be a PHCN staff- whether u guys like it or not dat corrupt and inefficient place will be privatised fully by nx month. The tariff as set by NERC for the 4 categories(R1- R4) has bn constant since July and hv not bn reviewed. It is d customer's Consumption and/or Corruption of PHCN staff(who want to collect dier last eguje 4rm any unsuspecting 'mugu' b4 they are thrown out 4ever) that varies, not d tariff...let me repeat- PHCN must be privatised and you guys thrown out whether you like it or yes
for ur info i am not a PHCN STAFF gbam
Re: How Much Is Your PHCN Bill For August? by infolpf: 12:53pm On Oct 24, 2012
gabe:

So u believe its okay because u can afford to pay? It didn't occur to your elitist brain cells that the energy used to power our stations have a lower cost than the US and labor costs are also lower here thus we should expect a lower rate than the US? If u like, make a monthly donation from ur big purse to PHCN. The rest of us demand fair billing!

Where in my earlier diatribe did you see me mention that it was okay because I could afford it? Infact, I specifically wrote "..it hurts like hell...", nonetheless, I was simply responding to the OP's question, not attempting to deny others their forum derived rights to speak up, as you seem inclined to do. Also, your math is terribly wrong - cost of power production in Nigeria is significantly HIGHER than the US and other nations. How so? Inefficiencies in market forces, infrastructural challenges, corruption in the system etc., all add up to significant hidden costs. Guess what? Someone ends up paying for this hidden cost anyway, and it ain't GEJ!

My 'elitist brain' is awake. How about yours? wink
Re: How Much Is Your PHCN Bill For August? by Ogundan: 11:39am On Feb 09, 2013
Pls can somene help out on the PROPER way of calculating my Phcn bill.
I learnt there is a fixed charge ( they say its maitenance) And VAT. Charge.
How do i know my maitenance and VAT charge on my power consuption and then calculate the total bill.
Re: How Much Is Your PHCN Bill For August? by doctorfox: 9:18pm On Feb 09, 2013
The analysis below is for R2 customers (residential rate, which is where most of us belong).

For Prepaid meters there is a fixed monthly charge of about N500 (wondering what this is for since people paid for the meters in full).
For the old postpaid meters they are charged about N46.
There is also a meter maintenance fee that varies. Postpaid meters are charged about N154 for Meter maintenance.

If you calculate the sum watts of each electrical equipment in your home.
E.g
three(3) 100 watt bulb = . 300 watts
one(1) LCD TV = .......... 200 watts
one(1) electric iron = .. 1000 watts
------------------------------------
Total:................... 1500 watts = 1.5 Kilowatts (1.5KW)
(Of course you wouldn't be using an electric iron for more than a total of 15 hours in a month and power supply is not usually available).

Now, your usage is measured in KWh (kilowatts hour). 1KWh is when you use a total of 1KW for 1 hour.

With the above combination of 3 bulb, 1 LCD, and 1 iron, which gives 1.5KW you will be using 1.5KWH every hour.

And, if you ran only these three for 24 hours daily and 30 days a month, you would have spent 720 hours of 1.5KW
This would amount to 1080 KWh (1.5KW x 720 hours).
Now PHCN charges N13.03 per KWh (Eko distribution Zone) for residential rate (R2) customers. Customers under Ikeja Electricity Distribution Company Plc are charged N12.15 per KWh.

Your bill with the above configuration should be:

N14,072.40 (1080KWh * N13.03) + N500(fixed charge)

Total bill all things being equal should be: N14,572.40
Re: How Much Is Your PHCN Bill For August? by doctorfox: 9:36pm On Feb 09, 2013
Also look at this story from last year: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/06/new-electricity-tariff-takes-off-today/

Middle income consumers would be expected to pay between N11 and N12/Kwh. The highest rate would be paid by consumers living in high brow areas of the country such as Maitama, Asokoro in Abuja, Ikoyi and Banana Island in Lagos. Consumers in these areas grouped as R3 and R4 would pay as much as N23.71/kwh with fixed meter charges of N21,256.30 and N118,830.56 respectively.
Re: How Much Is Your PHCN Bill For August? by Ogundan: 10:48am On Feb 12, 2013
This explanation is too complex for me.
Lets say at the end of a month, my consumption is 120 units (after removing the old meter reading from the new reading).
Pls use this to explain how I will get my bill for that month.
Re: How Much Is Your PHCN Bill For August? by doctorfox: 2:19pm On Feb 12, 2013
If you're using a prepaid meter:
Say your consumption is 120 units (KWh)
Your bill should be:
N1,563.60 (120KWh * N13.03) + N500(fixed charge) = N2,063.60
That's it.

If you were using the old postpaid meter you would pay a meter maintenance fee of about N154 instead of the fixed charge of N500.
Re: How Much Is Your PHCN Bill For August? by doctorfox: 3:02pm On Feb 12, 2013
To make this clearer:

When you purchase your units from PHCN, you are charged both a fixed Charge, and VAT at the point of purchase.

1. Fixed charge is N500 per month (they charge this every month whether or not you use the meter).
2. VAT of 5 percent of your balance after removing the fixed charge.

So if you recharge in January 2013 and it finishes in May, when you recharge in May, you will be charged Fixed charges for February, March, April, and May = N2,000 + VAT of the remainder of the amount you are paying.

E.g. You go to recharge in May with N5,000, you will be charged N2,000 for the previous months and 5% of the remaining N3,000 = N150.
So you will get N2,850 worth of units. If each unit costs N13.03, then you get 218.72 units.

Also, note that when you buy a recharge card they give you value in form of units and each unit costs N13.03 for Eko Distribution Company (R2) customers, and N12.15 for Ikeja Electricity Distribution Company Plc customers.

After buying a recharge card using it for one month (let's say you used 120 units in the old postpaid meter). Your consumption should be in the same range as the old meter about 120 units (if the readings were accurate).

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

PDP Will Ensure Maku Fails For The Rest Of His Life – Ahmadu Ali / Unemployment Situation In South East,a Ticking Time Bomb-Zinox Chairman / How Internal Collaborators In South West Sabotaged Amotekun’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.