Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,921 members, 7,956,456 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 12:20 PM

Obasanjo - Ghaddafi’s Fall Fuelled Boko-Haram - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo - Ghaddafi’s Fall Fuelled Boko-Haram (13538 Views)

Water Fuelled Cars May Replace Petrol Cars In Future / Patience Jonathan Fuelled My Conflict With President, PDP – Amaechi / Fleeing Ghaddafi Forces And Officials Are In Northern Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo - Ghaddafi’s Fall Fuelled Boko-Haram by Neversaydie: 9:49am On Sep 14, 2012
Former President Obasanjo has said the Libyan revolution that ousted long-time leader Mu’ammar Ghaddafi let loose trained militants and weapons that found their ways into Nigeria, fuelling the Boko Haram insurgency.

In an interview with the British Broadcasting Corporation radio and television aired yesterday, Obasanjo said also that the rise of the insurgency could be linked to bad leadership.

“There is an element of that,” he said when asked if bad leadership contributed in propping up the sect.

“There is an internal element, which you have mentioned—inadequate education in the North, or in fact inadequate education generally in the country, inadequate employment opportunities in the country, all that are part of what, if you like, is remote cause of Boko Haram as far as I am concerned.

“But then there are also external elements. Now, the fallout from Libya, which of course as a result what happened in Libya, those that have been trained in Libya in the time of Gaddafi from other countries who are neighbors of Libya, when Gaddafi fell they moved out. They moved out with their training, their weapons and they started to wreak havoc on the communities in which they have moved out to. And that is the situation in northern Mali,” he added.

When asked if he meant there was a connection between the overthrow of Ghaddafi and the Boko Haram insurgency, the killing of the US ambassador in Libya on Tuesday and the instability in northern Mali, Obasanjo replied: “There is connection.”

He said those who masterminded the fall of Ghaddafi, as well as the whole of Africa, have already started paying a price for that.

“And we know that there will be a price to pay in the way that it all went in Libya. At the end of the day all of us in Africa, and all those who masterminded the way it happened will have to pay a price, and we are now paying the price,” Obasanjo said.

He said the Arab Spring was celebrated too early, as there are always consequences of violent overthrow of leaders.

“Now it was too early to shout ‘uhuru’ with the Arab Spring, and some of us said that. That look, what will be the final outcome of this? Let us wait and see. When you have violence and violent overthrow of regimes you do not know exactly what the final outcome will be.”

‘Boko Haram can’t win this war’

Chief Olusegun Obasanjo said Boko Haram’s stated objective of imposing Sharia law on Nigeria will never work because of the religious diversity of the population.

“Now, talking to people who know the history of Nigeria, you will know that you cannot impose any particular religion on Nigeria as a whole. These people cannot impose Shari’a in the North where most of our people are Muslims let alone in Nigeria,” he said.

“Now, they should know that, and someone should make them know that. So I see a bit of naivety in that objective that they have given to themselves and it is an unattainable objective.”

Obasanjo added: “If you are prepared to kill more people, if like somebody says “we will fight to the last drop of our blood”, now, one does not know whose blood would be the last to drop. How many would they kill, how many of them will survive at the end of the day?

“I believe you should go with…you should carry carrot and stick, at the end of the day there would be area where carrot would work and there would be area where stick would work. And I believed the authorities are now adopting that.

“Those who are on the other side, Boko Haram, and those who believe in their cause or waiting for their cause, know that it is not the war that they can win.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/index.php/other-sections/lead-stories/176786-ghaddafis-fall-fuelled-boko-haram-obasanjo

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo - Ghaddafi’s Fall Fuelled Boko-Haram by 1025: 9:54am On Sep 14, 2012
is this a kind of madness or what? can't this man go and keep quiet for once.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo - Ghaddafi’s Fall Fuelled Boko-Haram by Itohen: 10:49am On Sep 14, 2012
OBJ .......the ota farmer.....another bomb shell
Re: Obasanjo - Ghaddafi’s Fall Fuelled Boko-Haram by rash47(m): 11:58am On Sep 14, 2012
cry
Re: Obasanjo - Ghaddafi’s Fall Fuelled Boko-Haram by Super1759: 12:04pm On Sep 14, 2012
Obj's utterances will always stir up something..here goes another one.
But OBJ is talking toomuch these days
Re: Obasanjo - Ghaddafi’s Fall Fuelled Boko-Haram by rash47(m): 12:07pm On Sep 14, 2012
1025: is this a kind of madness or what? can't this man go and keep quiet for once.

Gerrout...what do you know about international politics? Baba dissected the issue very well;bad leadership,illiteracy and corruption prepare the ground for Ghaddafi's militiamen running sahara south to find abode in the haramist enclave. Mind you baba is not in the class of your shoeless president or any former living head of state when it comes to issues like this.

30 Likes

Re: Obasanjo - Ghaddafi’s Fall Fuelled Boko-Haram by manosteel(m): 1:23pm On Sep 14, 2012
It's high time oga Jona tamed this man.
Re: Obasanjo - Ghaddafi’s Fall Fuelled Boko-Haram by robosapien(m): 1:26pm On Sep 14, 2012
rash47:

Gerrout...what do you know about international politics? Baba dissected the issue very well;bad leadership,illiteracy and corruption prepare the ground for Ghaddafi's militiamen running sahara south to find abode in the haramist enclave. Mind you baba is not in the class of your shoeless president or any former living head of state when it comes to issues like this.

Well said about Baba OBJ. But how I wish he was blameless...

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo - Ghaddafi’s Fall Fuelled Boko-Haram by Beaf1: 1:26pm On Sep 14, 2012
Baba is right about this. The Arab spring has led to weapons falling into wrong hands. For example, after the civil unrest that led to the fall of Ghaddafi what happened to the AK47s those youths were displaying? Did they return them to the authorities? These weapons are smuggled into Niger and down to northern Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo - Ghaddafi’s Fall Fuelled Boko-Haram by Nobody: 1:26pm On Sep 14, 2012
Right on the money, but most Nigerians won't see this... The fall is going to lead to the systematic destablisation of the African continent - and this is just the beginning... AQIM is getting stronger(they're also presently fighting in Syria) - Algeria, Mali, Nigeria, Niger etc.. watch out...

Africa is the new middle east...
Re: Obasanjo - Ghaddafi’s Fall Fuelled Boko-Haram by Beaf1: 1:28pm On Sep 14, 2012
robosapien:

Well said about Baba OBJ. But how I wish he was blameless...

^
You are right! He is a rotten thief
Re: Obasanjo - Ghaddafi’s Fall Fuelled Boko-Haram by irecruit(m): 1:29pm On Sep 14, 2012
I think baba is right, and its high time GEJ do something do something seriously about this boko harram problem. I believe Nigeria wil be o k one day, we should all continue to pray for this great nation instead of running away from it.
Re: Obasanjo - Ghaddafi’s Fall Fuelled Boko-Haram by na2day(m): 1:30pm On Sep 14, 2012
Baba Iyaba is on point!
Only a fool will not see the link between the issue and proliferation of military grade weapons in Nigeria.
Baba, it's not only Boko haram o!
Daredevil armed bandits and kidnappers are also beneficiaries of Ghaddafi's desert munition largesse angry

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo - Ghaddafi’s Fall Fuelled Boko-Haram by Nobody: 1:30pm On Sep 14, 2012
At least Algeria can defend itself with its well trained Army - and modernised military, can Nigeria defend itself
Re: Obasanjo - Ghaddafi’s Fall Fuelled Boko-Haram by Nobody: 1:31pm On Sep 14, 2012
Baba iyabo, mr 'jagajag', baba idris abdullkareem, OBJ, right on point....

But baba Oo, if it's bad leadership, corruption, unemployment, lack of education etc that is fuelling boko haram, dat means you're main cause because you are the champion of corruption in naija.

If I be you ehhn, I go just siddon for corner dey hide my head.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo - Ghaddafi’s Fall Fuelled Boko-Haram by Super1759: 1:32pm On Sep 14, 2012
Beaf!:
Baba is right about this. The Arab spring has led to weapons falling into wrong hands. For example, after the civil unrest that led to the fall of Ghaddafi what happened to the AK47s those youths were displaying? Did they return them to the authorities? These weapons are smuggled into Niger and down to northern Nigeria.
so why did it take baba this long to open up? He opened up after EDRIS attacked him.
Re: Obasanjo - Ghaddafi’s Fall Fuelled Boko-Haram by Nobody: 1:33pm On Sep 14, 2012
rash47:

And who is the master of corruption? When OBJ talks about corruption i always shake my head.
Re: Obasanjo - Ghaddafi’s Fall Fuelled Boko-Haram by jude33084(m): 1:34pm On Sep 14, 2012
if anybody thinks that the rise of boko haram is due to unemployment; that person must be high on opium, a very good Opium.

These guys have trades, good craftsmen some of them where military men b4 the course of Allah called them.

Are they the only ones without jobs? angry

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo - Ghaddafi’s Fall Fuelled Boko-Haram by honeric01(m): 1:37pm On Sep 14, 2012
obj, pls tell us, who caused unemployment from 1999 to 2007? Shagari or Gaddafi?
Re: Obasanjo - Ghaddafi’s Fall Fuelled Boko-Haram by tellwisdom: 1:38pm On Sep 14, 2012
What an elder sees while sitting, might not be seen while standing!

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo - Ghaddafi’s Fall Fuelled Boko-Haram by Nobody: 1:41pm On Sep 14, 2012
shymexx: At least Algeria can defend itself with its well trained Army - and modernised military, can Nigeria defend itself
No, liberia will also defend Nigeria. Or ghana could defend Nigeria. Funny
Re: Obasanjo - Ghaddafi’s Fall Fuelled Boko-Haram by achi4u(m): 1:41pm On Sep 14, 2012
Obj the repentant cri.mial
Re: Obasanjo - Ghaddafi’s Fall Fuelled Boko-Haram by gbadexy(m): 1:42pm On Sep 14, 2012
Obasanjo acts like he never ruled nigeria before or that his regime was perfect.
Although he had his own shortcomings as a leader, but one can't but relate to the things he says even though he ought not to be the person saying it.
Re: Obasanjo - Ghaddafi’s Fall Fuelled Boko-Haram by emmatok(m): 1:42pm On Sep 14, 2012
manosteel: It's high time oga Jona tamed this man.

GEJ Tame who? OBJ.

OBJ is one of the most respected leader in Africa and the west don't joke with his comments.
Which people do you think killed that US diplomat in Bengazzi.
Gadaffi boys .

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo - Ghaddafi’s Fall Fuelled Boko-Haram by achi4u(m): 1:43pm On Sep 14, 2012
jude33084: if anybody thinks that the rise of boko haram is due to unemployment; that person should be high on opium, a very good Opium.

These guys have trades, good craftsmen some of them where military men b4 the course of Allah called them.

plus election stuff!
Re: Obasanjo - Ghaddafi’s Fall Fuelled Boko-Haram by Nobody: 1:46pm On Sep 14, 2012
jude33084: if anybody thinks that the rise of boko haram is due to unemployment; that person should be high on opium, a very good Opium.

Ok,i'm sure you have a point against that of OBJ. You must be more experienced,vast,lucid and intelligent than OBJ in terms of local and international politics than OBJ. My advice 4 u is this boy; when an elder stateman talk,you pay attention and listen. Dont argue

7 Likes

Re: Obasanjo - Ghaddafi’s Fall Fuelled Boko-Haram by Chidex2442(m): 1:47pm On Sep 14, 2012
I strongly believe dat baba has a hand in dis boko haram package! Dnt be suprised if u see him by 2015 contesting 4 presidency grin grin
Re: Obasanjo - Ghaddafi’s Fall Fuelled Boko-Haram by na2day(m): 1:48pm On Sep 14, 2012
maryjames9: Ok,i'm sure you have a point against that of OBJ. You must be more experienced,vast,lucid and intelligent than OBJ in terms of local and international politics than OBJ. My advice 4 u is this boy; when an elder stateman talk,you pay attention and listen. Dont argue

grin grin grin

Ahahaha
Re: Obasanjo - Ghaddafi’s Fall Fuelled Boko-Haram by Nobody: 1:48pm On Sep 14, 2012
GEJ endored the UN no-fly zone and now the chicken has come home to roost.

Besides, why do we need admonishment from the likes of OBJ ?
Re: Obasanjo - Ghaddafi’s Fall Fuelled Boko-Haram by Nobody: 1:53pm On Sep 14, 2012

did you smoke ice block? undecided

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo - Ghaddafi’s Fall Fuelled Boko-Haram by klas(m): 1:53pm On Sep 14, 2012
Why is comprehension so difficult for us? The bbc reporter attributed BH problem to "internal elements" - lack of education, unemployment, etc. Obj said he agreed with him to some extent but as far as he is concerned, those are remote causes not the main cause

3 Likes

Re: Obasanjo - Ghaddafi’s Fall Fuelled Boko-Haram by Nobody: 1:54pm On Sep 14, 2012
maryjames9: No, liberia will also defend Nigeria. Or ghana could defend Nigeria. Funny

Bwahahhahahahaha! - you have got jokes.. grin They sure would do it with sticks and stones..

Algeria has s300, chinook helicpters, submarines, military industry where they produce their own weapons, MiG-29SMT, Su-30MKA etc..

*2chainz - No lie* cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari’s Visit: Is The US Our Friend Or Foe? -by Hugo Odiogor / Abia Women Protest N18,000 New Tax Bill By Abia Government (Photos) / NAF Commissions Infrastructure Projects In Kerang, Plateau State (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.