Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,110 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:18 PM

Hnd Is Better Than Bsc - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Hnd Is Better Than Bsc (18069 Views)

Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc / Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc / Hnd Is Now B.tech Degree In All Nigerian Polytechnics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by ishmael(m): 6:13pm On Apr 12, 2006
HND is a better and more quality qualification than Bsc because while doing HND you acquire both practical and theoretical skills than those who do Bsc programs. This is true especially in courses like Accountancy, Statistics, computer science, marketing, building technology, quantity surveying and architectural technology. If u feel it's not true give us good reasons why its not true, because i'm still of the opinion that HND graduates are what Nigeria needs presently for economic and technological growth and advancement. I need answers from you to prove me otherwise.
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by beyunce(f): 6:18pm On Apr 12, 2006
both. as for me i dont mind avin both.
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by Hotstepper(f): 7:18pm On Apr 12, 2006
how many years do HND people spend in scholl and how broad are you people though? Mind you that people with B.A gat the chance to do IT especially in those areas you mentioned
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by Seun(m): 8:54pm On Apr 12, 2006
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by Danmasani(m): 9:54pm On Apr 12, 2006
Ehnn, when has HND become better than a BSc what is your source? lol

1 Like

Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by Badman888(m): 10:15pm On Apr 12, 2006
HND is better than BSC to you or the society
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by micklplus(m): 8:06am On Apr 13, 2006
The problem is, we are to crazy about Paali- Certificates and as such, we tends to throw efficiency and effectiveness into the wind. we are supposed to be concerned about efficiency and effectiveness in the work place. Craziness about Paali will not take us anywhere which is why an expatriate with technical certificate will come to our own land and be the boss over someone with M.Sc ! shocked which means, the certificate is not the point but how EFFICIENT is the PERSON !
cheers
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by elphem(m): 1:08pm On Apr 13, 2006
Yes true, but Naija never support that theory, I am a polytechnic graduate and I know how the treatment has been compared, such that I think of having a BSC even after my HND.
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by babymine(f): 2:10pm On Apr 13, 2006
Not true.
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by ishmael(m): 2:38pm On Apr 13, 2006
Hostepper, lets not be certificate crazy!! We have it on record that HND graduates have done better and are still doing better than degree holders in many establishments in nigeria. You cannot use the number of years spent in school to acquire a certificate to judge its quality. But if u want to go by that, in Nigeria you spend a minimum of 5 years to obtain HND, 5 years to obtain a BTech or BEng and 4 years to get a Bsc or BA. If u are to judge by number of years it means the HND is better or has more quality than BA and Bsc and equivalent to BTech and BEng. I need very good reasons from you to prove me wrong oo.
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by hayo(m): 5:24pm On Apr 13, 2006
I think its not a matter of the number of years spent or even the quality of education in our educational system.
Let's face it, the Universities are not what they used to be and Polytechnics are not in a bit better. That's the bitter truth and we also know that 98% of secondary school students would choose to attend Universities rather than Polytechnics, the same way Colleges of Education are not first choice to the latter.
But to call a spade a spade, I believe that I gained more from studying in a University environment than the academics. It's very challenging being in that setting and the kind of people you meet are also important, a level of self-consciousness and belief are also built while you are exposed to a lot other than the normal classroom teaching experience.
That's the reason employers prefer University graduate 'cos they can easily be trained and could adapt faster due to the points I noted earlier. I respect maybe 2 Polytechnics in Nigeria especially Yabatech but most are craps and we know it. Low level of academics, and most times very rass and low-esteemed students. Sorry if I am a bit frank. What you will see in most Universities are under-utilised students who could have done better if they were in schools abroad; but they still show their stuff when they are employeed by good companies. This is not same most times with Polytechnics, it is rare to see very good guys apart from one or two exceptional schools.
Finally, if things continue this way - the best students will continue going to Universities, the next level Polytechnics and finally Colleges of Education!
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by MrBean(m): 5:44pm On Apr 13, 2006
Whosai, this will be true when:

Mechanics become better than Engineers.

I leave the rest your imagination. The list is endless.

True Education is about Wholistic development not masonry.
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by otokx(m): 5:46pm On Apr 13, 2006
what is the need of flogging a dead horse?
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by ishmael(m): 7:22pm On Apr 13, 2006
Hayo, u tried but i'm still not convinced that HND is not better than Bsc in Nigeria. We will only be naive if we say that all universities in nigeria are better than all polytechnics. Just as we have substandard polytechnics we also have substandard universties in nigeria. Some of the polytechnics in nigeria are oxford or cambridge when compared to some universities. Lets talk about who delivers best in terms of output in organizations and companies. Do you think Bsc guys do better than HND guys? Our problem in nigeria is big names. We attached so much importance to big names like uni and degree thats why we are yet to develop economically and technologically in nigeria. Have a rethink on who delivers best if u thot it was Bsc holders.
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by ishmael(m): 7:29pm On Apr 13, 2006
mrlawng, some mechanics are far far better than many mechanical engineers in nigeria. If u,re an engineer we have not heard your name before, because u have never done anything good to improve the lives of nigerians; but we have heard names of so many auto-mechanics and fitter-machinists that have moved the country forward.
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by MrBean(m): 7:46pm On Apr 13, 2006
Please name the mechanics that are achievers and lets see how many know them.
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by Hotstepper(f): 3:56am On Apr 14, 2006
@ishmael

I am not using how many yrs of schooling to judge. I just asked a question cuz I don't know how the Nigerian Universities run PERIOD, we all know that anyone who is not holding a university degree anywhere in the world per se is degraaded even here in Canada tongue
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by ishmael(m): 10:19am On Apr 14, 2006
Hotstepper, i understand you very well, but the issue is, canada has its own policies different from that of nigeria. HND certificates in most countries like canada, UK and scotland to mention a few are inferior to degree certificates. Reason is becos u spent just 2 yrs to obtain HND while 3 yrs is spent to obtain a Bsc or BA. HND in UK as i know is taken to be the first 2 years or part 2 of a Degree program. After your HND in UK you can go in to level 2 or 3 to top up and obtain a BSc. In nigeria u do HND after ur ND with one year IT experience inbetween making everything 5 years. You cannot tell me that while doing a 4 academic year program in the polytechnic in nigeria (keep the 1 year IT aside) HND graduates end up not learning as much as their counterparts in the universities running 4 year Bsc or BA programs. I have seen the course curriculum for HND and BSc in STATISTICS in nigeria, The HND has more courses and topics in statistics to cover than the Bsc. I hold HND in STATISTICS and one of my lecturers (a part time lecture from a university) who was a PhD holder then told us clearly that most of those topics in our HND curriculum were not in the same Bsc curriculum in the university. That he did most of those courses/topics in his MSc program. please i'm still not convinced that Bsc graduates know better than Hnd graduates. Check out accountancy too, the difference is always clear when they enroll and sit for ICAN exams. Most HND graduates clear ICAN without tears.
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by ishmael(m): 10:24am On Apr 14, 2006
Mrlawng, My friend's younger brother is an auto-mechanic, his name is Adeniyi Sunday in Festac town, Lagos. He has assembled a car before with locally built materials designed by him and carved out using lathe machines available. What have u done as an Engineer? Shame on you, an ordinary auto-mechanic knows engineering better than you with your BEng or MEng.
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by Hotstepper(f): 4:58pm On Apr 14, 2006
point of correct, Uni. in canada is four years not 3 , itz in uk, scotland that their degrees are 3 years, well stand up for yourself since you are a HND holder. I have no problem with anybody who has that. People don't use to go to ploy. after all but its due to not getting admission in the universities. In terms of looking for a job, I believe that people should be graded by the knowledge they have on that subject than what degree, what class and which uni./poly he/she got it from. That is the problem Nigeria is facing because I know in this part of the world, noone cares about your GPA when applying for a job but what you can be able to answer and deliver. tongue
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by famozine: 2:49am On Apr 15, 2006
hnd student pass beter in the ican exams according to statistics but apart from this i have seen many dull university students
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by Hndholder(m): 10:25am On Apr 15, 2006
That HND is better than Bsc in Nigeria is true and a consolation statement,  fabricators of cassava processing machines are using  not university trained welders. Nigerian engineers have nothing to offer us. It is all HND holder in every sector keeping the nation on. Bsc are just teachers of what they can not teach well. Both needed by every nation.

Everybody should be allowed to advance.
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by Rabi(f): 9:40pm On Apr 17, 2006
I think this question is debatable. Has it been proved statistically? I totally agree with the fact that HND students have more practical experience due to the bridge year between OND and HND which they use in working but we should no forget that BSc. students also do the IT(Industrial Training/ Student Industrial Working Experience Scheme) programme.

The bottom line however is that, it's not what you did at school but how well you can implement it in the long run.

There's no use having the practical experience in school and letting yourself down in future whereas you could get limited experience but build on it with time!
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by MrBean(m): 10:20pm On Apr 17, 2006
@Ishmael

Educated people disagree and maintain civility while at it. I guess you were not taught that in your ploytechnic.
I am not an Engineer. I am a final year Medical Student. Cheap vulgarities will not get you anywhere. You need to start thinking outside the box.  But then again You are only a technician. Keep living in koo koo land if it makes you feel any better. Whatever floats your boat my man,
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by ishmael(m): 8:17am On Apr 18, 2006
Hotstepper, u,re talking. I really like ur contributions to this issue. There has never been any trace of bias from ur contributions. i wish employers and people in nigeria will stand up and reason like you. Remain blessed and pls help us tell nigerians that polytechnic graduates are needed too for the country to move forward.
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by taiwotee: 10:50am On Apr 18, 2006
, The basic fact about the our Educational standard in Nigeria should not be argument over nothing , HND / Bsc . Just has the topic implies HND is better than Bsc. the simple thing will need to ask our are in two category.

Education are not inborn but acquired and secondly why connection to achieve good jobs .

the real fact about it is that the past and present Government or Leaders of the country lost focus as to HND or Bsc folder let us forget that one is better than the other , been sound acedemically is not the Institutions you go to , but the individual perspective to learning , However everybody acquire Bsc or HND irrespective or your educational qualification , all should to toward achieving greater standard for the development of the country .

The government should creat an enabling evirnment for good Jobs and not this type of discrimiation going around the various organisation in this country Nigeria.

Thanks
Taiwo , taiwotee2003@yahoo.com
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by oyesema: 11:39am On Apr 18, 2006
Contributions of most people to this arguement has always been guilded by sentiment and emmotion,I think what we should be dealing with should be the purpose.Who will prefer his left hand to his right hand?since they complement each other i dont think either of them is inferior, so we should stop this age long arguement of HND/Bsc controversy and realise that greatness is neither in schools or libraries, but in the individual.what Value can you add?what do yu know?inspite of your certificate?the gates, thomas elisons of this world never completed their first degree yet we have Microsoft and Oracle today?so i challenge we the Nigerian youth to stop hiding behind certificate and think of what value we can add to our father's land.
Cheers.
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by ishmael(m): 12:59pm On Apr 18, 2006
Taiwotee and Oyesema, may both of u live long. I love ur unbias contributions to this debate. We both need each other. University system of education is a bit different from that of the polytechnic, and vice versa in nigeria. We all know that Uni guys do the science of engineering while poly guys do the technology of engineering. And as we also know science and technology must always move and work together to achieve any set goal or objective. The designer must design for the implementer to implement. That is not to say that the designer cannot implement and the implementer cannot design; they can both do each other's job, but they have limits. I have seen university graduates that are not well knowledged in their various fields as well as poly graduates that are not well knowledged in their fields too. Uni and poly need each other to move Nigeria forward. Thanx for ur contributions. Pls we need people like u 2 to help us educate nigerians and employers in nigeria that the 2 are equivalent and that who ever that can deliver best should be given the job and not becos he or she holds HND or Bsc. Remain blessed.
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by ishmael(m): 1:17pm On Apr 18, 2006
Mrlawng, why should we be comparing an auto-mechanic with an engineer? We should be comparing a mechanic with a technician. U,re a medical student, thank God; we will run to u one day 4 medical attention; I know u,ll welcome me. We argue to learn from each other. I want u to know that without the mechanics, technicians and technologist no engineering design or job will be completed. That is not to say that engineers cannot implement or to say that technologist cannot design. They can play each others role, but to some extent. There is a limit. What I’m saying is I ve seen engineers that work in workshops and they are very skillful; I have also seen technologist that carry out engineering designs even more than some engineers. At any level, poly graduates and university graduates need each other. we should not place one above the other when we know that they actually need each other for things to work well. The ultimate truth as some one just said is not the school attended or the degree certificate acquired that makes u better, but what comes out of u as a graduate . U should be able to deliver well. A uni graduate that knows nothing should not be employed becos he attended a uni at the expense of a poly graduate.What matters most is; who can do the job well? Who can deliver well?.Not who has a uni degree or a poly HND. After all we all read books in both schools. Thanx and remain blessed.
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by MrBean(m): 1:26pm On Apr 18, 2006
@ishmael

Well Said.
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by niterider(m): 3:30pm On Apr 18, 2006
I dnt have nothin against HND holders but the fact remains a diploma wld never be better than a degree.
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by ishmael(m): 5:25pm On Apr 18, 2006
niterider, what kind of Diploma are u talking about? Ordinary diploma or higher diploma or postgraduate diploma? which?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Unilag Dli Form / Students Sit On The Floor In A School In Katsina (Pics, Video) / Rivers University Lifts Suspension Order On Two Students Over Facebook Post

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.