Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,265 members, 7,839,343 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:15 PM

Hnd Is Better Than Bsc - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Hnd Is Better Than Bsc (18148 Views)

Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc / Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc / Hnd Is Now B.tech Degree In All Nigerian Polytechnics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by niterider(m): 5:30pm On Apr 18, 2006
Diploma is diploma.I didnt say postgraduate degree did i??I kept it at degree and diploma level.At the end of the day,a degree is better than a diploma at any level you want to go.
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by oyesema: 4:09pm On Apr 19, 2006
[b]Niterider, your arguement to me seem to be too myopic or should i say maybe you dont quite grab the flow of what ishmael is saying, we are not talking about the cerificate superiority here we are talking about who get the job done most. chikena!of what use is knowldege that can not produce rsult?what we are saying is that it doesnt matter wether you are a professor of computer science or an ND 1 student in Okopoly or osisatech or even adamawapoly what we are asking you is what do you know about IT?If an Adamawapoly or Okopoly can for instance configure a Cisco router or write a functional Java program that is starndard why do i have to recruit a professor that will be Talking grammar instead of getting the job done?with due respect to our scholars, our societal decay has not spared them too they have been affected, How many of them have gone on knowledge update reasearch of late?especially in the field the Technology ?we need acknowledge the fact that its what you can do that matter not what you think or claim you know.cheers.
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by niterider(m): 4:44pm On Apr 19, 2006
oyesema:

[b]Niterider, your arguement to me seem to be too myopic or should i say maybe you don't quite grab the flow of what ishmael is saying, we are not talking about the cerificate superiority here we are talking about who get the job done most. chikena!of what use is knowldege that can not produce rsult?what we are saying is that it doesnt matter wether you are a professor of computer science or an ND 1 student in Okopoly or osisatech or even adamawapoly what we are asking you is what do you know about IT?If an Adamawapoly or Okopoly can for instance configure a Cisco router or write a functional Java program that is starndard why do i have to recruit a professor that will be Talking grammar instead of getting the job done?with due respect to our scholars, our societal decay has not spared them too they have been affected, How many of them have gone on knowledge update reasearch of late?especially in the field the Technology ?we need acknowledge the fact that its what you can do that matter not what you think or claim you know.cheers.

For your point,i'll take u back a couple of posts where someone said he wld agree when mechanics become more competent that engineers or sometin like that.By the way,u r making a mistake of using the standards of universities in nigeria to judge university graduates.U shldnt.Thats wat is myopic.
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by Hotstepper(f): 5:26pm On Apr 19, 2006
dunno why people only think that private skools are for rich people tongue some people are rich but might not want their kids to go to a private school. 80 percent of people per se that goes to a fed. skool comes from a wealthy background. They just prefer their kids to go 2 a boarding skool than to be a day student. My skool, we even have minister's children 2 mention a few, not just federal skool but people tend to send their children to boarding school for reasons known to them.
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by niterider(m): 5:28pm On Apr 19, 2006
ok hotstepper,where did that post come frm??
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by kennys: 5:35pm On Apr 19, 2006
Niterider, yu said and i Quote "mistake of using the standards of universities in nigeria to judge university graduates.U shouldnt"
    I want you to recognise one fact, that in Uk which is our Model in terms of Education, Polytechnic can award degrees and Never will they see one certificate as inferior to another they are concern is what can yu do, so what are we saying?our discussion is in Nigerian context, If we are taking it globaly, in Uk for instance ask anybody who know what was the qualification of former british prime Minister John Major?what is the qualification of Fola Adeola b4 he revolutionize Nigerian baking sector being the pioneer CEO of GTB?what is the qualification of Chief Erastus Akingbola of the prestigous Intercontinetal bank?what is the qualification of chief Adekanola of the Adekanola
& co chatered acountant?i can go on and on those people who defy the stereotype of certificate barrier to leave an indelible mark on the Nigerian history.where were the havard trained bankers? where were the cambridge trained egg head when this people were making and are still making difference?I begiiii my brother/sister leave that thing what you can do is what will count in the long run not hiding behind a dgree or even a diploma.
Cheers.
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by niterider(m): 5:41pm On Apr 19, 2006
@ kennys

What i meant wit that post was that where i study,we are given thorough practicals and i can definately say when i'm done,i will be able to out-perform any poly graduate when it comes to practicality.That thing about diploma holders being able to do the job better than degree holders is some oldskul ish
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by ishmael(m): 10:56am On Jun 12, 2006
Niterider, I no blame you. Your English teacher died in time thatz why u don’t understand simple English. Our argument is based on HND and Bsc certificates in Nigeria and not globally. If you want to go by it globally, then HND and Bsc certificates differ from country to country. In Nigeria its 5 years for HND, 4 years for BA/Bsc, 5 years for BTech/BEng. In Britain HND is 2 yrs while BA/Bsc is 3 years.
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by 2good(m): 10:47pm On Jun 14, 2006
I see no reason why people should be debating about this HND and BSc thing. The most important thing in life is being successful and most time, its usually the HND people that bring up this discussion.
If you feel you are not satisfied with youir HND, you can do a direct entry and go to a University to get your BSc.
So lets think of how to make money rather than to discuss qualifications
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by ishmael(m): 3:27pm On Jun 15, 2006
2good, getting a Bsc is not what bothers HND holders. We will not go to get any BSc; after all obasanjo has settled that issue. You and your cohort looked down at people with HND and discriminated against them in Nigeria. The end of all those nonsense has come. Check out the latest NNPC vacancy advert it is HND/BSC. My advice to u people is to stop hiding behind paper qualifications. We will soon know who is who!!.
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by ogu1156: 6:13am On Jun 28, 2006
Fellow Nigerians,

I have read with disappointment the continued struggle between Nigerian citizens about the superiority of one certificate over the other. The HND and Bachelor degree saga has been a long over-drawn issues and it should not be so. Since 1960 when Nigeria got her independence from Britain, Nigeria should have been able to fashion an education system that fits it citizens instead creating an unnecessary class struggle over certificates. In the first instance, I would think that most of our educational planners and managers lack focus. They do not know what should be good for us as citizens. They still think about Britain as a model forgeting that every thing Britain will may not be good for Nigerians. There is no problem having a HND. I have one too. But the problem is that our educational planners committed an error by thinking that an HND holder would be content with that certificate alone and not wanting to get a higher degree. They forgot the same candidate in the polytechnic is equally qualified to do a degree program in the university. They forgot that a choice to go to a polytechnic does not stem from lack of entry qualification but the desire for a well rounded professional training. They forgot that limiting any person whatsoever is a sin and against the law of human rights and equal opportunity.

In the 1980s, I was a union activist and we challenged COREN and other segregative professional bodies to set a a competitive exam for all HND and B.S holders for entry into these bodies. They did not welcome the idea. This is why I said that our leaders in education and politics are short sighted. Nigeria had remained where it is today because of this kind of attitude of limiting people with great potentials. We should emulate countries like America where no body is limited in anything whatsover. If you feel that you can challenge any exam whether your in college or not, you got an challenge it. This is why America is dynamic and leading in education, science, industry, and technology. Where is Britain today in comparism to U.S. If Nigeria continues to the British system, it willl be stagnant for ever. WE must forge ahead as a young and aspiring nation to develop a system of education in sync with our dreams and aspirations, and which will mirror our cultural believes.

Nigeria business and universities should stop to encourage all the discrimination in educational qualifications. With my HND, I never felt inferior to anybody. During my graduate program, I was in class with people from most prestigious universities in American and in the world elsewhere, I never felt behind in anything. In fact, my performance was exemplary. I got my admission direct and finished in a record time.

My advise is that, we should count on productivity and efficiency of every individual rather than the type of diploma or degree. Degrees and diplomas don't guarantee economic growth but productive efficiency, opportunity, and qualitative education at all levels. All branches of our educational institutions should harmonize all courses so that students can transfer from institution to another without loosing time or repeating courses.

HND and degrees are all good and there should be not need to discriminate against them.
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by ishmael(m): 6:56pm On Jun 28, 2006
Ogu1156, u have said it all. Let them stop hiding behind certificates, thats what we want. Come out and prove urself with ur degree or HND; chikena!!!
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by Ogisosoft(m): 6:08pm On Jul 08, 2006
HND is better than B.sc with reasons,
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by ishmael(m): 1:41pm On Jul 10, 2006
We should be talking about who has the skills best to do the job and not who has a degree or HND. After all a lot of guys in nigeria are disappointments to their so called Bsc and HND because they have failed to prove it to people that they actually own it. Education in nigeria is in shambles. May God help nigeria.
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by Hndholder(m): 9:52am On Jul 21, 2006
Yes HND is better than some BSc. QED
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by Hndholder(m): 9:53am On Jul 21, 2006
Yes Some HND look as if they are better than some BSc.  I mean that is the truth of QED
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by ishmael(m): 10:42am On Jul 21, 2006
yes oo, HND-holder i agree with you. Some HND certificates are better than some Bsc certificates when you weigh some of the owners or holders of the certificates. In short some HND holders are sharper and more technical and skillful than many Bsc holders.
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by Hndholder(m): 10:53am On Jul 21, 2006
akikah!
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by ishmael(m): 1:53pm On Jul 21, 2006
HND-holder na gode!!
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by Omolulu(m): 6:21pm On Aug 25, 2006
Both the B.sc and the Hnd are good for whoever obtains them.As long as the bearer is able to defend his degree or diploma wherever he finds himself in,there is no problem.
Many B.sc holders cannot defend their degrees.this also applies to the Hnd holders.The quality of whatever work performed by either bearer is the determining factor.
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by ishmael(m): 7:12pm On Aug 25, 2006
My dear omolulu, please help me tell them o. BSc or HND do the work well chikena!!
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by Hndholder(m): 7:24am On Aug 27, 2006
HND is the best for me I do not know about you.
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by ishmael(m): 11:19am On Aug 28, 2006
Lets leave this issue like dat. Anyone that feels he/she can do better with his/her HND/Bsc let d person come out in this forum and prove it. Stop hiding behind certificates.
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by Hndholder(m): 11:48am On Aug 28, 2006
Nigerian needs more of HND than Bsc.
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by ishmael(m): 12:42pm On Aug 28, 2006
Hnd-holder:

Nigerian needs more of HND than Bsc.

Yes oo; but do they know that??
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by Hndholder(m): 1:11pm On Aug 28, 2006
Until they Know that, Nigeria will not be Technologically Independent.

Where are Nigerian made goods? China products, products of technical schools are finishing us.
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by Hndholder(m): 2:20pm On Aug 28, 2006
niterider (m)
Far east

Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc
« #32 on: April 18, 2006, 05:30 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Diploma is diploma.I didnt say postgraduate degree did i??I kept it at degree and diploma level.At the end of the day,a degree is better than a diploma at any level you want to go.

niterider, Please note that University of London still award Diploma as a matter of prestige in place of bachelors. Jokes apart you need to respec Diploma.
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by ishmael(m): 4:32pm On Aug 29, 2006
niterider does nt know that some diploma holders are more qualified to work than him with his Degree.
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by ishmael(m): 5:46pm On Aug 30, 2006
Hnd will always be better than Bsc because of the technical and technological skills the HND holders posses.
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by omolayo1(m): 6:57pm On Aug 30, 2006
WHAT A WONDERFUL TOPIC!
LOOKING AT BOTH SIDES OF THE CONTRIBUTIONS, EVERY CONTRIBUTOR HAVE SHIP IN SOMETHING REASONABLE TO BE CONVINCED BUT I HAVE TO SEAT ON FENCE WHILE DRAWING MY WEIGHT ON ONE SIDE MORE.
FIRTLY, THE QUESTION IS THAT DO WE CONTINUING LOOKING AT CERTIFICATES AND FORGET THE CAPABILITY OF THE PERSON HOLDING IT?
SECONDLY, WHAT ARE THE QUALIFICATIONS OF THE PERSON WHO TEACHES/LECTURES IN THE TWO SCHOOLS WE ARE TALKING ABOUT?
THIRDLY, WHAT WAS THE LAW OR DECREE THAT ESTABLISHED THEM SAYS ABOUT THEM?

IF GOOD ANSWERS CAN BE GIVEN TO ALL THESE QUESTIONS, I THINK WE CAN GET SOMETHING ABOUT WHAT WE WANT THAN BEING BIAS ABOUT OUR JUGDEMENT.

LET US BE FRANK THE STANDARD OF EDUCATION IS COLLAPSING IN NIGERIA, ALL WE SHOULD BE SAYING NOW IS GOOD ENVIRONMENT FOR THE EDUCATION

WHAT EVEN BRING ABOUT THIS IF NOT because OF THE FEW JOBS FOR MILLIONS OF GRADUATES IN NIGERIA.

MAY GOD HELP US. undecided undecided undecided undecided sad sad sad

[color=#000099]
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by ishmael(m): 7:42am On Aug 31, 2006
The qualification of the person that teaches does not really matter. A professor in computer science that does not know practical networking and a National Diploma holder in computer science with CCNA & CCNE plus practical experience in networking; who do you think can teach students who want to learn networking very well? Mind you networking is a Technical job.
Re: Hnd Is Better Than Bsc by Hndholder(m): 9:18am On Aug 31, 2006
Do not forget that we were equaly at the University, some obtain their HND from university we saw it all

Is not the graduate assistance that teaches in most of the university? even mark papers? what is in Prof. ? is not a copy of other people papers they publish?.
it will soon be over.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Abia State University Graduating Students Spray Money (Video) / We Will Soon Expose Those Feeding Fat On IPPIS, Says ASUU / NLNG Undergraduate Scholarship 2012/2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.