Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,800 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:18 AM

Rebuilding A Relationship After An Affair - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Rebuilding A Relationship After An Affair (18913 Views)

I’m Sad! Mum Is Having An Affair Six Month’s After Dad’s Death’ / His Friend And His Wife Are Having An Affair! / Broken & Dejected: Found Out Wife Is Having An Affair With A Family Friend. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rebuilding A Relationship After An Affair by Kobojunkie: 4:07pm On Sep 15, 2012
Adeolu60:

Thanks kobo, na wa for these men o, there's nothing you can do to satisfy most Nigerian men! You know I checked the last 6 months cell phone bills, the least amount of duration they spoke on the phone was 60 minutes! What are they talking about?! he must have enjoyed that gal's company to stay for that long, and I also stalked her to know what he saw in her

I read this post about checking text messages of spouses here,

he cuddles his stupid phone like a baby everytime, I tried to check it one night he already slept and you know I accidentally cleaned out his blackberry memory because I tried all the possible passwords I thot,

I felt terrible , all his important contacts gone! So I know the implications of snooping!

And I had a feeling something was going on cos the wasn't like that at least early last year but I just chilled until I got the shock of my life, the rest of our vacation was like a bitter lime, we just pretended for the kids to have a good time. It wasn't pretty atall.

This is why I am against people keeping secrets in marriage. I don't know how to live in the same house and in the same bed with someone, and be denied direct access to information that could potentially help save the marriage. In some churches, you are advised to have an "Accountability buddy" . . someone who helps keep you in check and the way that works is you let that person into your Christian life . . . you basically bounce ideas off that person as much as you can so you can be better sure that you are not straying from "the path". In marriage, I think it is hard to have that if both people are off somewhere living their individual lives only to come back to continue on the marriage part of their lives afterwards.

Like I said, none of this is your fault, but it might be a good time to demand openness in your marriage, as opposed to what you have right now which seems to be at the convenience of the other partner . . .which will include access to each other's check books, cell phones, emails, etc. As way of helping keeping each other accountable at all times. It is not 100% proof but it is better than you snooping around like a thieve in your own marriage, I think. If anything, try to bring down the walls in your marriage a bit since those walls seemed to have allowed this to happen anyways.

Also, I understand why you would not want to tell your Dad, but please tell your mum at least. I know it is great to be the example of perfection, but I am more than sure you want your siblings to also learn from your mistakes as well. Let me understand now that all that glitters in marriage is not necessarily gold so they can make the needed adjustments early in theirs.
Life is not about "getting it all perfect" but about the lessons and what we do with them. This is a lesson at least for you, but please share it with loved ones so they catch you when next things fall, and they make the changes in their own situations so they can continue to stand strong.

1 Like

Re: Rebuilding A Relationship After An Affair by SisiKill1: 4:14pm On Sep 15, 2012
If a man confessing he cheated means he loves his wife.

What does it mean if he doesn't cheat at all?

2 Likes

Re: Rebuilding A Relationship After An Affair by coogar: 4:21pm On Sep 15, 2012
Sisi_Kill: If a man confessing he cheated means he loves his wife.

love and sex are 2 different things - only women put the 2 together as one. a cheating husband still loves his wife. most men don't even remember the names of the women they are sleeping with cos most of these extra marital affairs have no emotions attached. sex to most men is a physical expression like handshakes or hugs!

1 Like

Re: Rebuilding A Relationship After An Affair by Johndoe100(m): 4:35pm On Sep 15, 2012
Sisi_Kill: If a man confessing he cheated means he loves his wife.

Kobojunkie:

This is why I am against people keeping secrets in marriage. I don't know how to live in the same house and in the same bed with someone, and be denied direct access to information that could potentially help save the marriage.

@OP
You see, even the children are giving you advice. When they kissed their boyfriends under the steps and had a quicky in a friends pad, they had flashes of inspiration that they are giving to you. I swear, I don't believe that loony Kobojunkie has ever had sex, but guys de craze sha nothing wey they no go fvck.

But seriously can we have a poll? Guys, can you have kobo in your bed? Forget the novelty aspect, as a man, transgendered woman. Imagine it. Read her post then think about it. But I am stumped at kobo. Kobo living with a man? Kobo living with a man? Hahahahahahahahahahaha Goosebumps brrrr Oluwa oni je ka ba were suun.

1 Like

Re: Rebuilding A Relationship After An Affair by Johndoe100(m): 4:38pm On Sep 15, 2012
maclatunji: Na wa O. You know what? Let us have a showdown so that this rubbish can stop. Virtually every thread in this section is turned into a slugfest between the perceived Cabal (Who are even beginning to believe in the ish) and their perceived opponents abi na enemies leaving hapless posters confused.

Can't we all just argue our points or present our opinions without reference to some group or the other. It really is becoming irritating.

As usual, you pander to your female fans. Can you show me where I mentioned anyone other than the OP in my posts on this thread?
Re: Rebuilding A Relationship After An Affair by SisiKill1: 4:44pm On Sep 15, 2012
coogar:

love and sex are 2 different things - only women put the 2 together as one. a cheating husband still loves his wife. most men don't even remember the names of the women they are sleeping with cos most of these extra marital affairs have no emotions attached. sex to most men is a physical expression like handshakes or hugs!

Errr....if hubby cannot remember the name of the woman he carried a one year affair with. . .then OP has more issues to worry about, like maybe brain disease which causes an early onset of Alzheimer and dementia runs on his side of the family. undecided
Re: Rebuilding A Relationship After An Affair by SisiKill1: 4:54pm On Sep 15, 2012
JD...I know there are some names that sends you into hysteric fits whenever you see them but you would be doing yourself a lot of good to at least try to comprehends what they are saying before showing yourself as the guy with many limitations that you are.

What part of my comment comes remotely close to Advice?

Dude, seriously ya need to relax yourself. . .those little voices in your head telling people are after you can be quelled with two itty bitty tiny pills ya know?

Just saying.
Re: Rebuilding A Relationship After An Affair by cowgurl: 4:56pm On Sep 15, 2012
For almost a year he was having a swell time srewing his mistress and then suddenly, he wants out? Lol! you've gat to be kidding me! Not that easy boy!
@poster, don't be in a hurry rebuilding that relationship cos afterall if he wanted to leave, he would do so without blinking.
Fix your broken self up, seeing a counsellor is a smart move by you so keep it up!
Re: Rebuilding A Relationship After An Affair by talkingfingers: 4:59pm On Sep 15, 2012
shymexx: Breast implants? Dammit!! You should have got butt injection - big batty is winning right now, I tell ya...

Topic:

- Take a break..
- Get back to normal life..
- Heal your heart and soul..
- Forgive and forget..
- Have a heart to heart conversation with him..
- And build your relationship back up from the scratch..

The 'devil' you know is better than the 'angel' you don't know(that's if you truly love this guy) - it's safer to be with him... And this would only make the relationship and love stronger..

Life is short..

Truly, life is short. As for those steps, it would be nice if you could follow them and get over the hurt in good enough time to not just carry on with life, but make the rest of it even better given where you've been and what you've been able to wade through. But were things to prove a little too knotty, 'getting even' works like magic for some people. A couple of no-strings-attached shindigs could do you a world of good. Seriously! Don't say I told you, though.
Re: Rebuilding A Relationship After An Affair by coogar: 5:00pm On Sep 15, 2012
Sisi_Kill:
Errr....if hubby cannot remember the name of the woman he carried a one year affair with. . .then OP has more issues to worry about, like maybe brain disease which causes an early onset of Alzheimer and dementia runs on his side of the family. undecided

far majority of these extra marital stuff are one night stands or short term relationships... men are not necessarily emotionally attached to their sex partners - only women believe in such heresy!
Re: Rebuilding A Relationship After An Affair by Johndoe100(m): 5:18pm On Sep 15, 2012
Sisi_Kill: JD...I know there are some names that sends you into hysteric fits whenever you see them but you would be doing yourself a lot of good to at least try to comprehends what they are saying before showing yourself as the guy with many limitations that you are.

What part of my comment comes remotely close to Advice?

Dude, seriously ya need to relax yourself. . .those little voices in your head telling people are after you can be quelled with two itty bitty tiny pills ya know?

Just saying.

Hysteric fits? Just concern for one who I look at as a daughter. How is your mum? Been long we had a session. She still good at getting things done with men? She was very good at getting lots of things done with me. Anyway you must have misheard her, the voices were what she said she hears whenever I ram my cvck down her throat and her head bangs on the wall.......bang, bang. bang. bang. Kinda messes up your perceptions after a while. Anyway I think I will pay her a visit this weekend. Has she got a new set of false teeth yet? Nothing like a mouth with no teeth for some cool deep throat. Damn she is a trooper.....bang, bang, bang, bang. bang, bang, bang cool cool cool cool
Re: Rebuilding A Relationship After An Affair by SisiKill1: 5:20pm On Sep 15, 2012
coogar:

far majority of these extra marital stuff are one night stands or short term relationships... men are not necessarily emotionally attached to their sex partners - only women believe in such heresy!
That could very well be true but I am not about some hypothetical somebodies out there.

My comment is based on this thread and comments on this thread. I am not concerned about the labeling what is between a man and the woman he cheats with. . .don't care if it is physical, spiritual or supernatural.

Alls I wanna know is. . if confessing to cheating means love, what does not cheating at all mean?

That's all I am asking.
Re: Rebuilding A Relationship After An Affair by Johndoe100(m): 5:23pm On Sep 15, 2012
@OP
Like I said, move out for at least 6 to 8 months. Divorce would be best really. Make the blighter suffer for the insult to your dignity. Doesn't he know that your a fully liberated woman with self esteem? I hope you slapped him when he told you? If you have not please do so at once. Who do these men think they are? Bloody blighters think they can get away with anything.
Re: Rebuilding A Relationship After An Affair by maclatunji: 5:23pm On Sep 15, 2012
Johndoe100:

As usual, you pander to your female fans. Can you show me where I mentioned anyone other than the OP in my posts on this thread?

What makes you think I was referring directly to you? Female fans? I don't see any?
Re: Rebuilding A Relationship After An Affair by coogar: 5:28pm On Sep 15, 2012
Sisi_Kill:
Alls I wanna know is. . if confessing to cheating means love, what does not cheating at all mean?

That's all I am asking.

with men;
confessing to cheating = love
not cheating at all = love
not confessing to cheating = love
Re: Rebuilding A Relationship After An Affair by proudlyafrican(m): 5:48pm On Sep 15, 2012
It is hard but forgive him all the way,that is the only way to rebuild it.
Re: Rebuilding A Relationship After An Affair by proudlyafrican(m): 5:51pm On Sep 15, 2012
Johndoe100: @OP
Like I said, move out for at least 6 to 8 months. Divorce would be best really. Make the blighter suffer for the insult to your dignity. Doesn't he know that your a fully liberated woman with self esteem? I hope you slapped him when he told you? If you have not please do so at once. Who do these men think they are? Bloody blighters think they can get away with anything.

Guess you are a minor.
Re: Rebuilding A Relationship After An Affair by SisiKill1: 5:53pm On Sep 15, 2012
coogar:

with men;
confessing to cheating = love
not cheating at all = love
not confessing to cheating = love

Ok then. . .so basically the confession is not much of a redeeming factor as some people are trying to make it.

In short. . .LOVE should not be used as a redeeming factor. I think I like where this is going. People have allowed love to cloud their judgment but now that we know it really means nothing, maybe people will start being more logical.

Nice. . . really nice.
Re: Rebuilding A Relationship After An Affair by coogar: 6:00pm On Sep 15, 2012
Sisi_Kill:
Ok then. . .so basically the confession is not much of a redeeming factor as some people are trying to make it.

most def!
a man is capable of loving his wife and still cheat on her...whether he confesses or not has nothing to do the love he's got for his wife!!!
Re: Rebuilding A Relationship After An Affair by SisiKill1: 6:07pm On Sep 15, 2012
Oops I modified my post.
Re: Rebuilding A Relationship After An Affair by Funseeka(m): 6:13pm On Sep 15, 2012
Repentance is a decision
Your husband got it all wrong. Firstly, by cheating and secondly, by telling you. What does he try to achieve by letting you know his past escapades? Repentance is a decision and voicing it out doesn’t guaranty ‘infallibility’, rather it impacts on the trust that he needs to mend his ways. Now he has created more problems for himself and his family. Broken trust is difficult to mend.

You have always known he had a trick up his sleeve
Am not sure what he did was really a shock to you. The signs were there all along. He has been keeping you in the dark and you know it. If you cannot freely access your husband’s phone, laptop, files, drawers or room at will, just know you are not the most important person in his life; it’s as simple as that.

Deal with it yourself, tell no one
Telling your parents will make the guy withdraw the little regard he has for you. He might do the worst and cover his ass or even dare you to do your worst. Can you swear that your Dad never cheated on your Mum? Never say never! And sure, your Dad has no power over him on how to run his home or his life. At worst, he can only advise you to quit.

Cosmetic surgery to keep your husband? That’s low life
Cosmetic surgery can only make you feel good about yourself; it doesn’t stop a man from cheating. Men don’t cheat because their wives are ugly. Men are like cats that ‘can’ eat all rats and they are created that way. Being faithful is a decision and it’s only your husband who can take that decision for himself. He has to earn the trust and respect again; that’s the only way your broken heart can heal. I don’t know how
Re: Rebuilding A Relationship After An Affair by stepone(m): 6:40pm On Sep 15, 2012
packman:

I WONT FEEL THAT BAD LIVE GOES ON AND HERE IS A FORUM SO U RE SUPPOSE TO EXPECT ANYTIN

THAT'S Y NIGERIAN MENTALITY IS SO POOR WHATS A FORUM MEANT FOR ?? PLS AM NOT SENSELESS BUT WE TAKE A BIG DEAL OUT OF THINGS DAT SHUD NOT B A BIG DEAL

THAT'S VERY SIMPLE ANSWER TO UR QUESTION
packman:

I WONT FEEL THAT BAD LIVE GOES ON AND HERE IS A FORUM SO U RE SUPPOSE TO EXPECT ANYTIN

THAT'S Y NIGERIAN MENTALITY IS SO POOR WHATS A FORUM MEANT FOR ?? PLS AM NOT SENSELESS BUT WE TAKE A BIG DEAL OUT OF THINGS DAT SHUD NOT B A BIG DEAL

packman:

****Sounded****
"We take a BIG deal out of things that should not be a BIG deal."

He confesses to you to apologise for his misdeeds, so what stopping you from forgiving him.

I feel you are sad because you never caught him and you can't show your hanger to make him regret his actions. You are sad because with the situation of the things, you are not the winner.

You should be happy for him to confess to you in the first place. He confess to you because he never want to go back to it.

Will u know if he didn't tell you anything? What abt if you hear it from the third party, what will you do? I guess u will b happy wit that so as to confront him to make him feel sorry, just because u want to win.

Is there anything wrong in a man that felt sorry for his actions, confesses and apologise to create peace?
Re: Rebuilding A Relationship After An Affair by stepone(m): 6:41pm On Sep 15, 2012
packman:

Re: Rebuilding A Relationship After An Affair by Nobody: 6:56pm On Sep 15, 2012
My dear! It hard but let it go. For the sake of the kids. MAY God heal your marriage. Amen
Re: Rebuilding A Relationship After An Affair by Nobody: 6:58pm On Sep 15, 2012
What do you want?the man confessed,would you feel better,if you actually caught him?forgive him,and move on with life,don't give yourself unneccessary stress,Life is sweet,enjoy it to the fullest.
Re: Rebuilding A Relationship After An Affair by Adeolu60: 7:36pm On Sep 15, 2012
Yomieluv: What do you want?the man confessed,would you feel better,if you actually caught him?forgive him,and move on with life,don't give yourself unneccessary stress,Life is sweet,enjoy it to the fullest.

That sounds like what my Dad will say, but it's easy to say to move on but I'm trying to do what's best for my kids but what about me too? My feelings, the thoughts in my head , almost a year ! That's a long time to just poof and forget,

we just moved in our new home when he started dating that lady( approximately) , what's his problem?

Most men should get their priority straight and stop living a double life, it's disgusting and irritating, I had to run some serious blood work on myself to have a piece of mind that I'm not infected with some Poo.t.y bug!

I still refuse to tell my family, all the insults I'm reading here is exactly what I'll get from them esp from people like johndoe, I know a family member that'll say that but not to my face of course, or I'll collect his vehicle.

And mums are very caring and loving but you don't know which of her friends she'll tell that will put gas into the fire I'm trying to quench!

( but I love her to death but I'll spare her this headache cos she'll worry and winter is here, and she can't come now cos her arthritis, she can't even handle fall season)

I've seen a lot of real life mysteries and I'd prefer to be a meek than to blow my life out of proportion, that's why I prefer to blow it here where nobody knows me and still I choose useful advice and talks from people that are serious.

Nl is a joke to some people when it comes to serious stuff , but to some of us , it's a place to learn and keep learning from other people's experience.

I thank everybody for their input and advice, trust me, I know whose to follow , apply, practice and work with .

Thank you very much and have yourselves a great weekend! Life's too short!
Re: Rebuilding A Relationship After An Affair by Dyt(f): 7:47pm On Sep 15, 2012
Madam
There are just two options
Forgive him*tho its hard* and move on
Or
Divorce
Either way, u know which suits u better
Goodluck
Re: Rebuilding A Relationship After An Affair by ekoboy: 7:59pm On Sep 15, 2012
Adeolu60:

That sounds like what my Daddy will say, but it's easy to say to move on but I'm trying to do what's best for my kids but what about me too? My feelings, the thoughts in my head , almost a year ! That's a long time to just poof and forget,

we just moved in our new home when he started dating that lady( approximately) , what's his problem?

Most men should get their priority straight and stop living a double life, it's disgusting and irritating, I had to run some serious blood work on myself to have a piece of mind that I'm not infected with some Poo.t.y bug!

I still refuse to tell my family, all the insults I'm reading here is exactly what I'll get from them esp from people like johndoe, I know a family member that'll say that but not to my face of course, or I'll collect his vehicle.

And mums are very caring and loving but you don't know which of her friends she'll tell that will put gas into the fire I'm trying to quench!

( but I love her to death but I'll spare her this headache cos she'll worry and winter is here, and she can't come now cos her arthritis, she can't even handle fall season)

I've seen a lot of real life mysteries and I'd prefer to be a meek than to blow my life out of proportion, that's why I prefer to blow it here where nobody knows me and still I choose useful advice and talks from people that are serious.

Nl is a joke to some people when it comes to serious stuff , but to some of us , it's a place to learn and keep learning from other people's experience.

I thank everybody for their input and advice, trust me, I know whose to follow , apply, practice and work with .

Thank you very much and have yourselves a great weekend! Life's too short!

You know what to do, but you choose to bring this matter to a faceless forum and think everybody will sympathise with you situation.
Re: Rebuilding A Relationship After An Affair by slimyem: 8:33pm On Sep 15, 2012
everyone on this thread is saying forgive him..
...wondering what the comments would have been like if the op was a man whose wife confessed to him...
Fvcking double standards!!
Smh!
Re: Rebuilding A Relationship After An Affair by Nobody: 8:58pm On Sep 15, 2012

1 Like

Re: Rebuilding A Relationship After An Affair by emmatok(m): 8:59pm On Sep 15, 2012
Well if she don't forgive, she hurts her more.
The man will just continue with his life, while the woman keeps swimming in sorrow.
Re: Rebuilding A Relationship After An Affair by bukatyne(f): 9:16pm On Sep 15, 2012
ekoboy: Your dad has given you a good advice but you've ignored it to come to nairaland. SMH. You think there is a perfect man out there? You have a man that did what many men would do but had the courage to come out and tell you and apologise and you are looking for advice. You can go ahead and kill a good relationship but don't blame your husband. It'll all be your fault. A wiser woman would just grab him immediately leaving you with nothing. Maybe then you'll realise how foolish you were.
and i hope u have this same idea when u discover ur wife is cheatin on u! afteral, she's not perfect! the way pple reason! even telling her that a smarter woman would take the husband, she has a good man etc. i'm sure the Bible/Quran is not ur standard of judgement.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

4-year-old Child Blinds 5-year-old Friend With Needle / Words From A Father To His Son About Women And Marriage / Dont You Think Your Family Need This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.