Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,272 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:12 AM

Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? (10989 Views)

Is It Ideal Having Another Elaborate Wedding After A Wife/Husband Is Dead? / Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? / Marrying Without Parental Consent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by stillme(m): 3:29pm On Sep 15, 2012
A friend of mine is about to wed without his parent consent. The reason for his action is that the wedding must be done secretly to avoid delay in child birth as revealed to him by a prophet. Is his reason justify his action?
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by Kobojunkie: 3:31pm On Sep 15, 2012
As revealed to him by a prophet? I think that is stupid. Ordinarily, I would say that Parental consent does not necessarily protect a marriage from infidelity, divorce and all the other problems that many marriages suffer. However, since a prophet is involved, I would suggest that your friend get his head checked, and fast.

5 Likes

Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by Nobody: 3:55pm On Sep 15, 2012
Not generally ideal, but sometimes one doesn't have a choice.

2 Likes

Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by ATMC(f): 4:29pm On Sep 15, 2012
No! Its not ideal but in reality when one can't help it...go ahead. Is d prophet ideal?
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by chiteny(m): 5:07pm On Sep 15, 2012
I just hate [b]stupi[/b]dity of boys going into marriage. R u sure it's because of prophet or the boy no get money dey use that as excuse?
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by Sagamite(m): 5:46pm On Sep 15, 2012
stillme: A friend of mine is about to wed without his parent consent. The reason for his action is that the wedding must be done secretly to avoid delay in child birth as revealed to him by a prophet. Is his reason justify his action?

Park parents consent for now.

What is not ideal is your friend's mental faculty.

A few hammer blows might fix it sha.

3 Likes

Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by slimyem: 8:00pm On Sep 15, 2012
Depends on the kind of relationship one has with his/her parents...
However in this case,it makes no damn sense!!
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by Gearwheel(m): 8:18pm On Sep 15, 2012
That ur frnd thinks marriage is lyk som stupid old bf/gf stuff or abi na hit and run. Tel him 2 bulshit that nonsens prophecy and think about his future life.
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by Nobody: 9:04pm On Sep 15, 2012

3 Likes

Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by MyneWhite1(f): 3:52pm On Sep 16, 2012
not ideal, but sometimes such is life.
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by guseman(m): 5:51pm On Sep 16, 2012
Not ideal but it happens. in the first place, you did not tell us if his parent are against him marring that lady! Some prophets are liars oh...hope say no be the girl arrange the prophet..hmmmm I smell a rat..
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by Nobody: 5:55pm On Sep 16, 2012
stillme: A friend of mine is about to wed without his parent consent. The reason for his action is that the wedding must be done secretly to avoid delay in child birth as revealed to him by a prophet. [/b]Is his reason justify his action?

chaircover: . . . . [b]and the day this same prophet tells him to chase this same wife out because she is a witch and she wants to kill him he will listen to the prophet and chase her out abi? undecided

Hopefully your friends girlfriend will not go with this silly reason for not letting her parents know about her wedding.

Those who believe absurdities commit atrocities - Voltaire

1 Like

Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by ektbear: 5:56pm On Sep 16, 2012
stillme: A friend of mine is about to wed without his parent consent. The reason for his action is that the wedding must be done secretly to avoid delay in child birth as revealed to him by a prophet. Is his reason justify his action?

Which kyn prophet be this?
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 5:56pm On Sep 16, 2012
Depending on the situation.
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by Nobody: 5:56pm On Sep 16, 2012
If it's the prophet, rather than his parents, who conceived and birthed him, then let him disregard his parents and follow the prophet's orders.
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by ask4double(m): 5:57pm On Sep 16, 2012
Who is a prophet? And what qualifies one the be a prophet? Just asking o..... It beats my imagination when folks can't realize it that u can't plant Yam and harvest Corn, Verse-versa. Stop believing bullshit and do what is conventional.
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by freecocoa(f): 5:57pm On Sep 16, 2012
Like its been said by many, its not ideal but sometimes you got no option.

As for your friend OP, why do i think he's going to regret his actions? A prophet ke? Hmm he must know nothing about such so called prophets.
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by Opoki(m): 5:58pm On Sep 16, 2012
@OP
How old is your friend?
I think they both needs the parental blessing. And if her wife conceived and give birth, the same force that might want to hinder her wife from conceiving can still kill the baby!

Tell him to put his faith in God and not gods
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by garripack: 5:58pm On Sep 16, 2012
[size=25pt]THATS YOUR PROBLEM NOT NIGERIANS PROBLEM[/size]
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by Nobody: 6:02pm On Sep 16, 2012
80% of women marry against their parents' and family's wishes under the typical excuse of following their minds; nonsense! Most have gone to regret it or in regret now.
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by Acidosis(m): 6:02pm On Sep 16, 2012
IT Is wrong!!
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by Opoki(m): 6:02pm On Sep 16, 2012
Kobojunkie: As revealed to him by a prophet? I think that is stupid. Ordinarily, I would say that Parental consent does not necessarily protect a marriage from infidelity, divorce and all the other problems that many marriages suffer. However, since a prophet is involved, I would suggest that your friend get his head checked, and fast.
@BOLDED: You sounded so harsh, remember that this is Africa where we see our religious leaders as been closer to God and hence we always want to adhere to their direction so no need to abuse or use derogatory word(s).
Peace

1 Like

Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by searay(m): 6:05pm On Sep 16, 2012
May be the Prophet is indirectly trying to label the parents witches/wizards. Even if the parent may be seen as such, the Prophet should be able to raise a standard against it.
If the Parents are not aware of the marriage, this could give them the extra leverage or any other person to perpetauate evil. (if them pour drink for ground, hmmmmm na you sabi ooooooo).
ThREAD CLOSED!
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by chii8(f): 6:05pm On Sep 16, 2012
guseman: Not ideal but it happens. in the first place, you did not tell us if his parent are against him marring that lady! Some prophets are liars oh...hope say no be the girl arrange the prophet..hmmmm I smell a rat..
you kind of said my mind,please you must involve your parents in your marriage oo,they have to bless the union first before any other thing follows,moreover in most tribe in Nigeria,the bride's parent will hand the girl over to you in marriage and both couple then marches to church 4 the completion of the ceremony,so Mr man help me ask ya friend...who handed the girl over to him?...or im go steal pesin pikin(pikin wey i mama carry inside belle 4 nine month n suffer train) wan marry am by force,na waoooo,i no get wetin i no go hear 4 ds nl
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by alaoeri: 6:07pm On Sep 16, 2012
Ask your friend how many things have the prophet told him which come to pass. Remember prophet self gö chop. undecided
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by Nobody: 6:07pm On Sep 16, 2012
u or ur friend is being overzealous. the prophet wouldnt have said ur parents are part of the crowd. in cases where potential couple had been foretold to avoid making noise, that doesnt include their parents. in such cases, only the close relatives and clerics makes such wedding cos parental blessings is key
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by freecocoa(f): 6:09pm On Sep 16, 2012
Acidosis: IT Is wrong!!
What is wrong?
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by dayokanu(m): 6:10pm On Sep 16, 2012
What else did the pastor tell you
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by 190: 6:10pm On Sep 16, 2012
190 strolls in looking for ivynawa

Doesn't find her

Strolls out undecided
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by freecocoa(f): 6:11pm On Sep 16, 2012
Opoki:
@BOLDED: You sounded so harsh, remember that this is Africa where we see our religious leaders as been closer to God and hence we always want to adhere to their direction so no need to abuse or use derogatory word(s).
Peace
So being African is now an excuse for f00lishness?

1 Like

Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by wandeay: 6:11pm On Sep 16, 2012
NO!
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by Tolaaaaannni(f): 6:12pm On Sep 16, 2012
No,It isn't.. but thats just my opinion, I feel like in order for your marriage to be successful/work you need your parents

blessing. But like I said that's just my opinion, it isn't backed up by any facts. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What's The Other Side Of This Coin? / Staying With Someone: How Long Is Too Long / Igbo Men Are The Most Caring In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.