Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,684 members, 7,809,589 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:42 AM

Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? (10988 Views)

Is It Ideal Having Another Elaborate Wedding After A Wife/Husband Is Dead? / Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? / Marrying Without Parental Consent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by InHim4Him(m): 8:33pm On Sep 16, 2012
I love NL. I often find here so many self-styled rebels, stupid and absurd commentators. In the order of things both spiritual and material, if all is well, who comes first, the parents or the medicine-man/religious leader? what makes you think you can go into anything as serious as marriage without parental consent/blessing. I know many on NL are not christian nor believe in the Bible, but every day experiences of people show that honoring parents is not just a christian or Jewish thing.

1 Like

Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by Kobojunkie: 8:35pm On Sep 16, 2012
InHim4Him: I love NL. I often find here so many self-styled rebels, stupid and absurd commentators. In the order of things both spiritual and material, if all is well, who comes first, the parents or the medicine-man/religious leader? what makes you think you can go into anything as serious as marriage without parental consent/blessing. I know many on NL are not christian nor believe in the Bible, but every day experiences of people show that honoring parents is not just a christian or Jewish thing.
ibedun: Well..... to balance the argument i know many marriages with full Parental consent but the marriage has gone off the cliff.

so?
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by mrperfect(m): 8:40pm On Sep 16, 2012
I think parent consent is important.
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by Cuddlemii: 8:43pm On Sep 16, 2012
toba: u or ur friend is being overzealous. the prophet wouldnt have said ur parents are part of the crowd. in cases where potential couple had been foretold to avoid making noise, that doesnt include their parents. in such cases, only the close relatives and clerics makes such wedding cos parental blessings is key

You know whats up jare.
The op is exaggerating.
When priests/pastors or whatever give warnings like that, till the marriage is over no one will know but the parents would be present for the wedding.
In fact they might have to travel to an unknown destination, use a different church and do everything codedly. The parents would just lie that they r off for a family burial or king's coronation in their village and off they go for the wedding.
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by nusirat(m): 8:48pm On Sep 16, 2012
It is a silly talk, your friends has fall into a trap only God and the prayer of His parent can saves him, why the prophet no tell him that his wife parent should not be there? Was this parent who born him and nurtured him till adult? Now it is time to show appreciation one yeye prophet now come, Tell your friend if he has not do the welding to better cancel it because it is a trap.
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by hassymo5(m): 9:02pm On Sep 16, 2012
sometimes it happens, me and ma girl love each other so much bt her parents told her to stay away from me just because im a catholic and she is from cocin,, so if we end up marrying witout parents concent,, i dont think anytin is wrong wit dat,,, cos i know God is wit us!!!!
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by iyaayi(f): 9:03pm On Sep 16, 2012
Opoki: @OP
How old is your friend?
I think they both needs the parental blessing. And if her wife conceived and give birth, the same force that might want to hinder her wife from conceiving can still kill the baby!

Tell him to put his faith in God and not gods

Public parental blessing is an absolute condition of marriage in my religious belief for couples tying d knot for d first time!..
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by Clemzy16(m): 10:07pm On Sep 16, 2012
@OP It's obvious your friend is a fool.
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by Lenny5000(m): 10:28pm On Sep 16, 2012
stillme: A friend of mine is about to wed without his parent consent. The reason for his action is that the wedding must be done secretly to avoid delay in child birth as revealed to him by a prophet. Is his reason justify his action?

The next time I hear the word prophet from any of you again am just gon puke! 90% of people calling themselves prophet does not even know the meaning of the word in the first place
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by Nobody: 11:39pm On Sep 16, 2012
Show me Ur friend & i will tell You who U are!
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by Ivynwa(f): 4:20am On Sep 17, 2012
It is a beautiful thing to have the consent of the parents but what happens if it is the kind of parents trying to manipulate the kids into a person of their choice? A controlling parent that simply hates the fiance/fiancee of their kid unreasonably? A parent trying to boss his/her kid into a marriage that will benefit him/her (the parent) financially/socially and otherwise?

In this case poster mentioned that their reason for wanting to marry in secret & without parental consent is because of some divination by whoever prophet/pastor. The attachment/awe some of our fellow Nigerians have for these persons that "go to the gods to see the future for them/bring them water from the moon" is disgusting. Just when will they understand that most of these diviners/prophets/prophetess/pastors are all in it for the money? I bet if the prophet asked that he marry the crazy woman out there in the street lest his business collapses in 7 days time that he will run to do the biddings of his almighty prophet. WTFr*ak!

We presently have two areas through which ignorance is affecting the unenlightened ones among us and they are these:
1.The belief that human body parts can be used by some dirty medicine men to make one rich
2.The blind trust and belief in diviners most of whom are fake

I am wishing that some public enlightenment programmes on these two points be started by the ministry in charge to unshackle people being led astray by these 2 wrong notions. Seriously! It's high time we all left those notions behind and evolve to higher levels.

190: 190 strolls in looking for ivynawa

Doesn't find her

Strolls out undecided

Pray, can someone tell me why this fr*aking 190 boy is strolling around threads looking for Ivynawa grin tongue? Anyway, thank goodness that I'm not ivynawa.grin
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by NemzySeries(m): 6:08am On Sep 17, 2012
No! No!! No!!!
Is d Guy is USA or London were people marry d way dey want?......4 christ sake w're in africa n we av watz called "CULTURE".Marrying witout parental concept especially wen d're still alive is not jst "fwesh",aπϑ 4 d prophet,is he d one dat gives children?
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by obowunmi(m): 6:31am On Sep 17, 2012
@ OP: well it depends on the relationship one has with their parents. I love my parents, and I can't marry a woman without their approval.

If the man or woman doesn't trust his/her parents or maybe comes from a polygamous home, then such is understandable. Maybe the prophet said it because the dude's parents talk a lot and he wants them to keep things private - who knows?

It might not necessarily be a spiritually motivated comment.
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by kinguwem: 7:03am On Sep 17, 2012
Traditionally, couples need the blessings of their parents before wedding. The dependence on prophets and men of God for prophesies in almost every issue is causing disaffections in families.
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by Nobody: 7:40am On Sep 17, 2012
stillme: A friend of mine is about to wed without his parent consent. The reason for his action is that the wedding must be done secretly to avoid delay in child birth as revealed to him by a prophet. Is his reason justify his action?

that prophet part has destroyed the morale of the story :>
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by extension: 9:21am On Sep 17, 2012
Let me put this way, out of 10 marriages that I atteneded that doesnt received their parents blessings only 2 worked out fine.You always hear that their parent refused to come or that their parent did not support the marriage.some lasted 6 months or 1 year.
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by Dubemkelly(m): 10:49am On Sep 17, 2012
This prophecy doesn't go well wiv me,there's nothing hidden under sun,supposing d parents r witch n wizards,dey must get 2 know abt it,in an African setting,a lady z never married until her bride price has been paid,try know d consequences of what u r diving in2,its totally wrong 2 enact a marriage wout d parents consent,cos dere r more 2 marriage dan we see it...Think wisely
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by rhymz(m): 11:13am On Sep 17, 2012
slimyem: Depends on the kind of relationship one has with his/her parents...
However in this case,it makes no damn sense!!
To be sincere, I don't think I will want to marry somebody who cares little about parental consent or involvement in their relationship or marriage. If his relationship with both of his parents or all his other relatives is strained then the problem lies with the person. I don't kid myself, believing it does not matter much especially as Africans, Igbo man for that matter, Nna it matters a who 4cking lot, biko!
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by rhymz(m): 11:18am On Sep 17, 2012
Another point I forgot to make is this: stay of any 4cking fortune teller in any mould when it comes to marriage and relationships, be it the Pope, Oyedepo, Adeboye, kumuyi and co, their prophesies most likely than not will bring you regrets in the end.
I will take parental consent more seriously than any phoney prophesies from any of these prophets or whatever they call themselves these days. Your parents and relatives are intrinsic part of your relationship and marriage to anyone unlike those prophetd that will leave you in the end when it becomes tough.
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by Harbeodoon11(m): 12:56pm On Sep 17, 2012
No,it is not ideal.the essence of marriage is to get parental blessings & to create awareness to the people that both families has approved the union..so tell your friend to wise-up & don't get confused by a silly profecy..
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by megxo(m): 2:10pm On Sep 17, 2012
hu's plannin 2 elope\\\\////?
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by Kobojunkie: 2:18pm On Sep 17, 2012
extension: Let me put this way, out of 10 marriages that I atteneded that doesnt received their parents blessings only 2 worked out fine.You always hear that their parent refused to come or that their parent did not support the marriage.some lasted 6 months or 1 year.

Please don't pretend what you have above makes remote sense. The vast majority of those who are getting divorced today, did so, even after getting "Parent blessings". Please don't try to sell your fellow Africans yet another lie that somehow getting their parent's blessing IMPACTS the success of the wedding in some way . . . there is no information to back that. Just like there is no information to back the delusion that Church weddings/mosque weddings last longer. That is incorrect, as numbers show that people who only settle for registry wedding seem to hang on longer in marriage than those who do the Church weddings and all that shebang!
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by FrenchyL(m): 7:22pm On Sep 17, 2012
It is a very foolish thing to do. They ought to know.
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by vanstanzy(m): 10:22pm On Sep 17, 2012
Call me old fashioned but, emotions can keep people from thinking clearly. That's why i think parents should have a significant part in choosing a mate. Afterall, they know one really well, so they should be able to help one make a good choice of a mate.
Not only that, one needs both parents blessings for the marriage to be sweet, fruitful and recognized by God. So i say its ideal to have the parents consent. Unless, you're contented with being an alien to your family and hers.
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by vanstanzy(m): 8:56am On Sep 18, 2012
Kobojunkie:
Always the odd one amongst many.
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by chyket(m): 2:26pm On Sep 18, 2012
No No No
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by thorpido(m): 6:11pm On Sep 18, 2012
Did Kobojunkie get married without parental consent?I'm sorry if u didn't av a good relationship with your parents but anyone who was raised WELL by the parents why on earth would you want to get married without their consent?
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by Nobody: 12:45pm On Nov 19, 2012
Even if your parents are the devil in human form, it's very important to seek their consent. Which true prophet will tell someone to marry without notifing his or her people except one of dubious character......
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by Enoyoh: 5:10pm On Nov 19, 2012
Parental consent is very important...
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by GodbyAdimebuo: 11:31am On Jan 15, 2013
though t s gud 4 prnts 2 gv dia concent 2 dia chld's choice of patna stl de kn b sm tyms selfish nd unrsnable by gvn flimssy xcuzes 2 withold dia concent on a chuzn patna. In such kasis u may ignore dem nd go ahead wt ur mrg plans bt if dia rsns ar wot gvn a tot, u dare nt dcobey dem bkos dey see mr dan u kan
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by onomesimple(m): 10:13pm On Jul 08, 2014
BROS THE GUY IS SHOULD GROW UP,IS NOT EVERY THAT THE PROPHET THAT YOU SHOULD BELIEVE
Re: Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? by egopersonified(f): 9:16am On Jul 09, 2014
Is it that the devil is now more powerful than God? I dont understand it. A so called prophet of God asks you to hide from the devil's agents, while the bible says you should resist the devil, whose report will you believe?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What's The Other Side Of This Coin? / Staying With Someone: How Long Is Too Long / Igbo Men Are The Most Caring In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.