Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,296 members, 7,815,515 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:46 PM

Kano Town Was Founded By An Igbo Trader - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kano Town Was Founded By An Igbo Trader (5027 Views)

Picture Gone Wrong : Buhari Pictured Laughing While Giedam Town Was Under Attack / Deadly Bombings Reported In Nigerian City Where Boko Haram Was Founded- NY Times / Under Ihejirika, No Town Was Captured By Boko Haram – Northern Youths (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kano Town Was Founded By An Igbo Trader by vowiski(m): 2:46pm On Sep 18, 2012
Do You know that the Town Kwankwaso in Kano State, the Home of the State Governor, Dr Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso was founded by an Igbo Trader, Mr Okonkwo about 90years ago?

The Story.
An Igbo trader called Mr. Okonkwo found a convenient farm gate site along the railway track leading to Kano where he could buy, thresh and mill groundnut. He set up his thresher and mill and erected a signboard reading "OKONKWO & SONS ENTERPRISES". Soon he started getting patronage from neighboring villagers and farmers who found it convenient for trade because of proximity to the railway. With time, the spot became lively with business activities and people started erecting huts and market stalls.

Read More
Re: Kano Town Was Founded By An Igbo Trader by Chanchit: 3:37pm On Sep 18, 2012
Oya Ndigbo, go and claim your father land...!

The spirit of Okonkwo and sons sef would say
"don't try it..!"

2 Likes

Re: Kano Town Was Founded By An Igbo Trader by remmyton(f): 3:49pm On Sep 18, 2012
grin grin grin

cheesy cheesy cheesy

i no fit shout
Re: Kano Town Was Founded By An Igbo Trader by udezue(m): 4:47pm On Sep 18, 2012
Okay
Re: Kano Town Was Founded By An Igbo Trader by dayokanu(m): 4:54pm On Sep 18, 2012
We don start another Tory again oooo
Re: Kano Town Was Founded By An Igbo Trader by Sanguine77(m): 5:00pm On Sep 18, 2012
Are you sure it's not Okonkwo in Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart? Anyway it may not be false. Ndi-Igbo and their industrial spirit and their economic hegemonic tendencies.
Re: Kano Town Was Founded By An Igbo Trader by Ejine(m): 5:07pm On Sep 18, 2012
I think I've had it with the revisionism in Nairaland.

2 Likes

Re: Kano Town Was Founded By An Igbo Trader by Ejine(m): 5:11pm On Sep 18, 2012
Wait! I followed the link and it showed the story was written by Danjuma Azemobo Musa

Hmmm... There could be some truth to it.

But make una wait till this thread hits 97 pages.
Re: Kano Town Was Founded By An Igbo Trader by hakanai(m): 5:23pm On Sep 18, 2012
LMAO!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Make person do die from laugh!!!! Nice one!!!! nice one!!!! What is the language spoken there and what is there cultural inclination? I bet it speaks for itself to say you were a guest and couldn't have founded a place you were hosted on. LOL !!!! Thought is would be fair to say you are indigent

1 Like

Re: Kano Town Was Founded By An Igbo Trader by dayokanu(m): 5:33pm On Sep 18, 2012
Ejiné: I think I've had it with the revisionism in Nairaland.

Lailai Wait for one more

America was founded by Kolade Kolawole fondly known as Christopher Columbus

1 Like

Re: Kano Town Was Founded By An Igbo Trader by Geomac: 5:33pm On Sep 18, 2012
The same way Hausa men founded Onitsha

5 Likes

Re: Kano Town Was Founded By An Igbo Trader by PhysicsQED(m): 6:03pm On Sep 18, 2012
Is this Mr. Okonkwo the same person as 'Okonkwo Kano' ?
Re: Kano Town Was Founded By An Igbo Trader by Nobody: 6:07pm On Sep 18, 2012
that is a good one from the Igbos. Hausas are claiming Jos because they were brought there to work at the mines around 1902! So Igbos can also claim Kwankwaso now
Re: Kano Town Was Founded By An Igbo Trader by Ejine(m): 6:18pm On Sep 18, 2012
PhysicsQED: Is this Mr. Okonkwo the same person as 'Okonkwo Kano' ?

No, it's Pete Edochie.
Re: Kano Town Was Founded By An Igbo Trader by PointB: 6:23pm On Sep 18, 2012
Not impossible.

Commercial cities are often founded on trade routes, by traders!
Re: Kano Town Was Founded By An Igbo Trader by Afam4eva(m): 6:26pm On Sep 18, 2012
Chanchit: Oya Ndigbo, go and claim your father land...!

The spirit of Okonkwo and sons sef would say
"don't try it..!"
I don't know how true this claim is and even if it's true, it doesn't mean that it's an Igbo town.
Re: Kano Town Was Founded By An Igbo Trader by PhysicsQED(m): 6:28pm On Sep 18, 2012
Ejiné:

No, it's Pete Edochie.

Well I didn't click on the link and I'm not going to, and I considered the possibility that there might have been more than one Okonkwo in Kano back in those days.

Next question for anyone who is able to answer it: is Kwankwaso some kind of Hausafication of the name 'Okonkwo' or does it actually mean something in Hausa?
Re: Kano Town Was Founded By An Igbo Trader by Afam4eva(m): 6:29pm On Sep 18, 2012
cogitoErgo: that is a good one from the Igbos. Hausas are claiming Jos because they were brought there to work at the mines around 1902! So Igbos can also claim Kwankwaso now
Go and claim it and pray they don't claim your head grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Kano Town Was Founded By An Igbo Trader by Afam4eva(m): 6:30pm On Sep 18, 2012
PhysicsQED:

Well I didn't click on the link and I'm not going to, and I considered the possibility that there might have been more than one Okonkwo in Kano back in those days.

Next question for anyone who is able to answer it: is Kwankwaso some kind of Hausafication of the name 'Okonkwo' or does it actually mean something in Hausa?
It can't possibly be because i've seen numerous northerners bearing that name.
Re: Kano Town Was Founded By An Igbo Trader by saintneo(m): 6:49pm On Sep 18, 2012
saw this on facebook earlier.
Re: Kano Town Was Founded By An Igbo Trader by saintneo(m): 6:51pm On Sep 18, 2012
afam4eva:
Those are the numerous sons of Okonkwo - Okonkwosons = Kwankwaso. lol grin grin grin
Re: Kano Town Was Founded By An Igbo Trader by Afam4eva(m): 6:52pm On Sep 18, 2012
saintneo: That's one of the numerous sons of Okonkwo - Okonkwosons = Kwankwaso. lol grin grin grin
lol grin
Re: Kano Town Was Founded By An Igbo Trader by Kolade9(m): 6:52pm On Sep 18, 2012
No let BH hear am 4 ur mouth
Re: Kano Town Was Founded By An Igbo Trader by PhysicsQED(m): 7:05pm On Sep 18, 2012
afam4eva:

Okay, thanks for clearing that up. I just thought there might have been a connection.
Re: Kano Town Was Founded By An Igbo Trader by Dotman01(m): 7:09pm On Sep 18, 2012
SMH
Re: Kano Town Was Founded By An Igbo Trader by Afam4eva(m): 7:12pm On Sep 18, 2012
Dotman01: SMH
Shake your d1ck too grin

1 Like

Re: Kano Town Was Founded By An Igbo Trader by FSU: 7:17pm On Sep 18, 2012
Okonkwo Kano is a popular Igbo man in Kano in the 40s to 60s. He is reputed to be the second richest Igbo man back then after Ojukwu's father

Felix Ezejiofor Okonkwo (Okonkwo-Kano) ; Igbo leader in Northern Nigeria (1960s).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nnewi
Re: Kano Town Was Founded By An Igbo Trader by okunboy: 9:32pm On Sep 18, 2012
Then the Okonkwo wld be among the "Banza Bokwai"... abi?
Mtheeeeeew!! Yeye Fowl!!
Re: Kano Town Was Founded By An Igbo Trader by 2mch(m): 9:42pm On Sep 18, 2012
okunboy: Then the Okonkwo wld be among the "Banza Bokwai"... abi?
Mtheeeeeew!! Yeye Fowl!!

grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy

I have laughed and laughed reading this thread. Na real Bastard Hausa State of Hausa Okonkwo. lipsrsealed. Okonkwo kwenu -okonkwokwaso = konkwaso=kwankwaso ---> transition of name over the years lipsrsealed tongue
Re: Kano Town Was Founded By An Igbo Trader by tpia5: 9:56pm On Sep 18, 2012
the only thing i found at the moment is kwankwaso and madobi were railway towns.

http://www.amazon.com/IMPACT-RAILWAY-KANO-EMIRATE-c-1903-1960s/dp/3843354081/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1348001848&sr=1-1&keywords=Kwankwaso

poster, provide more info, and btw, i dont think it really matters even if the story is true, which i doubt.
Re: Kano Town Was Founded By An Igbo Trader by vanbonattel: 10:24pm On Sep 18, 2012
;DThe OP is correct, in those early years, igbo ppl were the strongest tribe in nigeria and gave beth to all awusa ppl
Re: Kano Town Was Founded By An Igbo Trader by dayokanu(m): 10:34pm On Sep 18, 2012
Okonkwo and Son became Kwonkwoson later Kwankwaso

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Another Nairalander Experience Of The Lagos To Ilorin train / Enugu City has better Roads Than Any City/town In Yoruba Land. / DSS Cannot Arrest Judges: See The National Security Agencies Act

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.