Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,450 members, 7,812,377 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:27 PM

African-american's Travail In Nigeria: Solicitors Petition Inspector-general - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / African-american's Travail In Nigeria: Solicitors Petition Inspector-general (915 Views)

Saraki’s Travail: Buhari’s Connection, Tinubu’s Input - VANGUARD / Inspector General Of Police Restores Tambuwal’s Security Aides / Gov Fashola Meets Mbu, Assistant Inspector General Of Police(Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

African-american's Travail In Nigeria: Solicitors Petition Inspector-general by JamesOkwy(m): 6:27am On Jan 12, 2008
Being a copy of a petition sent to the Inspector-General of Police, IGP, Mr. Mike Okiro, urging him to investigate the alleged deportation of An African-American prisioner, Mr Grayson Ernest Eugene, to Nigeria by the US government.

[center][center][center]SOLA ADABONYAN & Co.
Lagal Practitioners and Property Consultants
5, OLIJFIJNMILOLA OKJKJOLU ST. OFF TOYIN ST, IKFJA ,LAGOS. (TOP FLOOR, BACK FLAT)
Tel: 08033009648, 08039779198, 08038230922, 08030858228
E-mail: cockatoochambers@yahoo.com
[/center][/center][/center]
January 11, 2008

THE INSPECTOR-GENERAL OF POLICE

Dear Sir,

LETTER OF PETITION

GRAYSON ERNEST EUGENE - A CASE OF WRONGFUL
DEPOkTATION. HUMAN RIGHTS ABUSE AND DEHUMANISING
TREATMENT BY THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT AND
THE UNITED STATES EMBASSY IN NIGERIA.

We are Solicitors to Mr. Grayson Ernest Eugene (hereinafter referred to as “our Client”)
on whose behalf we write this petition.

Our Client claims to be a black American citizen born on the 3ff of September, 1963 in (Greensville, South Carolina. His mother̓s name is Silvia H. Atkins and until his
conviction in the United States of America, was a taxi driver living in 250 East 29, Brooklyn, New York.

Our Client has informed us of the following facts:

1. That prior to our Client̓s alleged deportation to Nigeria, he was a prisoner in a
United States Federal Prison with prison number57051-053, and in the custody of the B.I.C.E. Prison, Upstate New York, Batavia Buffalo, where, according to him, he had served his mandatory Appellate jail term and was awaiting transfer to his jurisdiction in Metropolitan Detention Centre, Brooklyn, New York. The documentation for his release from prison was to be prepared and effected from the Metropolitan Detention Centre

2. Our Client further alleges that at the hour of 8pm on 12 December, 2006, he was taken from the Upstate New York Institution where he was a prisoner. He went peacefully with them in the honest belief that he was being transferred to his jurisdiction in New York for his eventual release from prison.

3. That, rather he found himself being taken to the airport to be deported alongside
about 500 other black people. He allegedly protested and resisted this move on the
grounds that he was an American citizen and ought not to be deported. This resulted in our client being bound, hands and feet, with chains and being bundled into the aircraft.

4. That the plane first dropped off some black people in an island, presumably in the
Caribbean, and another set of the deportees was dropped ma similar manner in
Liberia.

5. That our Client, on the I 3th of December, 2006 was brought to Nigeria against his will, to a country he had never been and knew not a soul. Still insisting on his American citizenship, he was bundled again and thrown onto the tarmac of the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Ikeja, Lagos and the keys to the cuffs thrown down to him, whereupon the plane left with the men who did this dastardly act.

6. That our Client bad on him only his prison uniform and the chains that were used to bind him throughout the flight. There was no documentation in relation to his illegal and denigrating depoetation or as to his identification.

7. That the staff on duty at the airport tarmac assisted our client to unlock the chains and informed him to leave the tarmac.

8 That OUT Client was reduced to soliciting funds topsy his way to the United States
Embassy at Victoria Island, Lagos where he would obtain help in returning to
America.

9 That same day, our client found his way to the America embassy but it was not till the 15di December, 2006 that he was granted audience where he appealed to have his biodata - fingerprints and DNA tests - taken to verify his citizenship claim.

10. That to his shock and amazement, rather than verify his claims of citizenship, officials of the American embassy called in the police who arrested and detained our Client!

11. That our Client was in detention from the 15th December, 2006 to 19th December, 2006, that is 4 (four) days, at the Bar Beach Police Station, Lagos, before be was transferred to the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID), Panti, Adekunle, Lagos, where he was kept in detention until 12th March, 2007.

12 That on 12& March, 2007, our Client was finally arraigned before the Magistrate Court No. 9 Ebute-Metta, Lagos, on a charge of conduct likely to breach public peace by refusing to leave the American embassy contrary to Section 249(d) of the Criminal Code Capl7 Vol, II, Laws of Lagos State of Nigeria.

13. That our Client was discharged on the 30 of April, 2007 by the Magistrate for want of diligent prosecution. Find attached a copy of the discharge for ease of reference.

14. That our Client, having nowhere to go or anyone in Nigeria, returned to the American embassy with the fervent hope that this time his case would be looked into by the embassy He only wanted his fingerprints and DNA taken to prove his claim

15. Thai once again, the American embassy not only refused to grant our Client̓s request and plea for verification of his citizenship, by carrying out the tests, but also callously and with no human regard, called in the police again to arrest our
Client on the 20 August, 2007. On the 13 of September, 2007, our Client was again arraigned at the Magistrate Court No. 12 Ebute-Metta, Lagos on a charge of loitering!

16. I̓hat the court granted our client bail in the sum of N50, 000 (Fifty Thousand Naira Only) with sureties in like sum. Our client obviously could not meet these
bail bonds as he knew no one to stand surety for him, thus he found himself in jail again until November 21, 2007 when the Magistrate court finally discharged

and acquitted him of all charges.

Sir, the claims by our client are weighty indeed. Could it be true that security operatives in the United States abducted a prisoner, in a gangster style, and bundled him onto a plane, even with his U S prison uniform?

Again, do security operatives in Nigeria allow just anybody into the country, once they arrived aboard U.S.-owned airlines? Is there any guarantee that any such deportee is not a security risk, a spy or even a suicide bomber, who is allowed to roam Nigerian streets free?

in the light of the above and on behalf of our client, we wish to draw your attention to the plight of this man who only wishes to return home and is willing and ready to surrender himself to any examination or tests that would prove his identity and subsequently his nationality as an American citizen.

We therefore humbly seek that you use your good office to carry out a thorough investigation to verify the claims of our client as contained in the above mentioned facts
as given to us by our client. We would also urge you to liaise with the Office of lmmigratioii Department to provide answers as to how it was possible to permit our client entry into the country without regular documents as expected when one conies in from outside the shores of Nigeria. According to our client, he had no papers of identification, no visa, no ticket, nothing! Yet he was allowed into the country. The Nigeria Immigration has a case to answer.

We appreciate the fact that your investigations would be fir reaching and incisive, taking into recognition that as the Chief Police Officer for Nigeria you would enjoy international co-operation from other law enforcement agencies in the world, especially the United States of America. It is our f~rvent belief that justice will be achieved when all the facts are revealed and our client will be gven the oppoitunity to finally have his voice heard after the trauma he has undergone since 2006. We will leave no stone unturned to get to the truth behind this abuse. We have a duty to be our brother̓s keeper.

Finally, we urge you, Sir, to use your good office and the resources open and available to you in your capacity as the Chief Police Officer in our great country, Nigeria, to see that Justice is done and, if possible, avert an international disaster if this matter is not handled diplomatically. You are our client̓s hope to obtain answers to why he has undergone such degradation and deprivation in the hands of fellow human beings.

We humbly await your immediate response, as you would appreciate the urgency of the issues at hand and the fact that if our client̓s claims prove to be true, he would have been through what no human being ought never to be denied of— A home. An identity.

Thank you.

Yinka Olujimi ESQ

CC:.
Minister of Foreign Affairs
Minister of Internal Affairs
Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice
Comptroller General, Nigerian lmmigrations
Director General, State Security Services
Director of Services, United States Information Services.
Consular-General, United States Embassy
Re: African-american's Travail In Nigeria: Solicitors Petition Inspector-general by Kobojunkie: 6:38am On Jan 12, 2008
Is the Nigerian police enjoying this game or something ?? You mean up to this day, they have not bothered asking the man for phone number of someone in the USA he may know, Family Friend?? galfriend?? neighbour or something who can help raise awareness of his case from here by now?? This is disturbing and at the same time suspicious.
Re: African-american's Travail In Nigeria: Solicitors Petition Inspector-general by joshjosh(m): 6:43am On Jan 12, 2008
sadly he may not be educated enough to even remember the numbers. God help us. even if he was nigerian must he be allowed to suffer like this?

nawao as my sister would say
Re: African-american's Travail In Nigeria: Solicitors Petition Inspector-general by Kobojunkie: 6:48am On Jan 12, 2008
joshjosh:

sadly he may not be educated enough to even remember the numbers. God help us. even if he was nigerian must he be allowed to suffer like this?

nawao as my sister would say

He may not be educated enough to even remember the numbers?? What is this?? You mean the man does not know how to dial numbers on a phone?? LMAO!!! NA WA FOR YOU PEOPLE!!! You already pulled the HE IS NOT EDUCATED ENOUGH TO EVEN REMEMBER THE NUMBERS Excuse?? are you kidding me?? What has education to do with remembering at least one phone number or even his address or his mother's address What can company was he working for in NY?? What about the name and address of his fellow cabbies?? Or even the name of the place he eats everyday or something ??

How come he was able to remember all this here

Our Client claims to be a black American citizen born on the 3ff of September, 1963 in (Greensville, South Carolina. His mother̓s name is Silvia H. Atkins and until his
conviction in the United States of America, was a taxi driver living in 250 East 29, Brooklyn, New York.

That there is more than enough information to find out all you need to know about this man if he really is telling the truth.
Re: African-american's Travail In Nigeria: Solicitors Petition Inspector-general by bawomol(m): 8:43am On Jan 12, 2008
either he stole the identity of this african american or he is mentally retarded. something is just wierd here
Re: African-american's Travail In Nigeria: Solicitors Petition Inspector-general by Bankole01(m): 10:47pm On Jan 12, 2008
American justice system is not that callous. Even before a person is deported, he is allowed to go to court to prove why he should not be deported. If he could not afford a lawyer, one is provided for him at taxpayers expense.

This man is not new to the justice system, before he was incarcerated for the first time (I can almost bet this dude is a repeat if not a habitual offender), he must have had exhaustive court apperances at taxpayers expense. (This is the American justice system).
His prints and mug shots must have been repeatedly taken, and can be provided by just looking on the computer and even on the web. There is a system called NCIC (National Crime Information Center) which any law enforcement agency in America has access to. If you have done anything and had any police contact in America, you are on there.
This is what they call the "long arm of the law". They will get you if you have a warrant also, no matter where you run to.

Therefore, this guy after doing his time, must have been adjudged not a citizen or a naturalized citizen, who by law, forfits his citizenship because of his criminal activity.

Crooks in America know how to play the system and on peoples' sympathy. They are just simply predators, who go from playing games and getting over on people. (I know this only too well, I have to deal with these people)

The American Embassy must have checked the NCIC also, and probably have enough data to disprove his citizenship or why he was revoked!
The American justice system is not that callous or blind. They realy go out of their way to give any offender a fair chance to legal representation. Public defenders work their tails off with the volume of cases assigned to them. It may not be perfect, at least it is better than any chances or legal representation you will get in Nigeria.

This dude, must somewhere in his past, have a relation to a Nigerian who lived in New York, or brought in as a child. There are many Nigerian-American bastards, roaming the streets of America, not knowing their fathers or any relations. This is the fault of Nigerians, who will marry girls under false pretences (Green card), only to abandon the girl and any children born of these relationships.
Sad and very callous, that is what our people are. These abandoned children, mostly end in the system. (I have come across a lot of them)

Before you guys get all bent out of shape and start spewing venom at America, lets be objective.
Re: African-american's Travail In Nigeria: Solicitors Petition Inspector-general by uspry1(f): 12:10am On Jan 13, 2008
ATTENTION TO: @JamesOkwy, @joshjosh, @bawomol, @Bankole01, and all posters @kobojunkie already knew.

Check out this existing thread link at belowsadOriginal Nigeria newspaper: Vanguard dated November 18, 2007)

An American Deported To Nigeria
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-94620.0.html

I strongly believe that GRAYSON ERNEST EUGENE here is completely identity thief of this person like @kobojunkie has said it. No way he can remember his OWN MOTHER'S home (South Carolina) phone number in the USA ask for help if she is still alive. He has been here in Nigeria for 2 years since his 2006 US deportation.
Re: African-american's Travail In Nigeria: Solicitors Petition Inspector-general by joshjosh(m): 2:25am On Jan 13, 2008
i think there is something here. 
This dude, must somewhere in his past, have a relation to a Nigerian who lived in New York, or brought in as a child. There are many Nigerian-American bastards, roaming the streets of America, not knowing their fathers or any relations. This is the fault of Nigerians, who will marry girls under false pretences (Green card), only to abandon the girl and any children born of these relationships.
Sad and very callous, that is what our people are. These abandoned children, mostly end in the system. (I have come across a lot of them)

Nigerians especially the women are indeed callous.  the number of our kids given to white people here to look after in the name of giving the kids better lives [b][/b] while the mom just go away having left fake numbers are unbelievable.

i used to hear prayer points about asking God to release these kids they left others to take care of while they go collect the benefits. someone explained the thing to me and i was shocked. they went out worked and kept their money as some confused child struggled not knowing why and what he/ she is doing in some God forsaken cold english rural town as a token black face.

i have seen too the failures of whatever brilliant system the courts here have. infact as i write we just have a Ghanaian with cancer case boiling in england but as someone said because of our people stupidity we cannot talk.

a Nigerian got killed by the Spanish and i saw a 12yrs child being harassed by the swiss the other day.  yes they are immigrants but they are still human beings.  i am all for dealing with bad people but not cruelly.  i see the way they fight for animal rights.  why can't they just think of respecting human beings and not treat them like they wont treat animals?  i am not here to defend criminals. i don't condone anyone doing foolish things and crime. check my record here i am appaulled that someone may have used someone else name to do this but we as decent people must rise above their foolishness and not come to their level.

my prayer is that one day we will find pills that will change Nigerians to nice human beings that will build the great and fertile land God blessed us with.  i see a better Nigeria that will have the fear of God and love of His Christ so that peace and blessings will manifest like we have never known.

as the negro college wouldsay the mind is a terrible to waste and i add life to that lets stop wasting our lives. the money we make is not worth the lives we are trying to live
Re: African-american's Travail In Nigeria: Solicitors Petition Inspector-general by Kobojunkie: 3:06am On Jan 13, 2008
You saw a 12 year old Nigerian being Harrassed by the Spanish and you did what about it?? Was it a bunch of kids picking on the kid and you assumed the spanish nation is against the child Please let us in our quick judgement not make every case about discrimination. As I see it, we get what we sow in most situations and in many cases I have observed here, it is usually the case.

I have witnessed cases where an idiot from Nigeria comes here and signs up for a life of crime and then continues to cry that he is being picked on for being a Nigeria or even black by the police when they come to arrest him for his crimes. Anywho, this particular case is not new and has been in the Nigerian tabloids, note, no other country seems to have this man's story except Nigeria. That there speaks volumes to me about the case, something just ain't right.
Re: African-american's Travail In Nigeria: Solicitors Petition Inspector-general by joshjosh(m): 3:26am On Jan 13, 2008
i saw a 12yrs child being harassed by the swiss the other day. did you notice that?. if you stay long enough in a bus stop you will see enough stupidity being done by blacks and sadly Nigerians. there are people and there are govt. officials i don't know how the swiss [b][/b]became a group of
bunch of kids picking on the kid and you assumed the Spanish nation is against the child
. i will not discuss this matter further

again i am not an advocate of any silly Nigerian but i will say this the west is a civilized society and so should respect peoples human rights no matter what crime they have done. chaining people on flights kill. amnesty have details of people that have gone to their early graves because of this barbarity.

anyone does any crime deport them i am all for that. you don't cage human beings when you are not allowed to cage animals. that is my point.
Re: African-american's Travail In Nigeria: Solicitors Petition Inspector-general by Kobojunkie: 3:33am On Jan 13, 2008
joshjosh:

i saw a 12yrs child being harassed by the swiss the other day. did you notice that?. if you stay long enough in a bus stop you will see enough stupidity being done by blacks and sadly Nigerians. there are people and there are govt. officials i don't know how the swiss [/b]became a group of . i will not discuss this matter further

[b]again i am not an advocate of any silly Nigerian but i will say this the west is a civilized society and so should respect peoples human rights no matter what crime they have done
. chaining people on flights kill. amnesty have details of people that have gone to their early graves because of this barbarity.

anyone does any crime deport them i am all for that. you don't cage human beings when you are not allowed to cage animals. that is my point.

How are they caged?? Do you have an instance in mind?? My Question again from earlier is when you saw the Nigerian being mishandled, What did you do?? It is easy for us to point accusing fingers but we fail to realize that we are just as guilty if we step away without doing anything if we really know evil was being perpetrated. I read you telling me you watched some people of swiss origin manhandle a 12 year old Nigeria but I do not read you  telling me what you did if you really belief they were in the wrong.

You mention that the west is a civilized society but when you, who happen to have moved to the west of your own volition see injustice you automatically expect the west to perfect? I mean we fail to remember sometimes that the reason most of the west remains civilized is cause people like you and I have seen injustice happen in some area and taken it upon themselves to see to it that that does not happen again. The people living in the west are flesh and blood like you and I and it is up to each individual to see to it that the west remains civilized. If we then decide not to act when we see injustice then who are we to expect others to do something about it when we did not
Re: African-american's Travail In Nigeria: Solicitors Petition Inspector-general by Nobody: 5:19am On Jan 15, 2008
7. That the staff on duty at the airport tarmac assisted our client to unlock the chains and informed him to leave the tarmac.
8 That OUT Client was reduced to soliciting funds topsy his way to the United States
Embassy at Victoria Island, Lagos where he would obtain help in returning to
America.

Did this man in question fall from the sky?
And is this how useless and incompetent the Nigerian Police/Immigration authorities are that a criminal deported (even if he claims not to be Nigerian) is allowed to "roam free" as the plane leaves? Only God knows how many dangerous people have been thrown into the soceity through this nonchalant attitude displayed by these people that do not know their jobs.

(1) (Reply)

Obasanjo: Leave Electricity Problem To God / Bank Officials Connived With Bullion Van Drivers To Steal N215m / Robber Turns Into Sheep In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.