Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,467 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:30 PM

National Good Governance Tour Starts Today Sept. 20 - Maku - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / National Good Governance Tour Starts Today Sept. 20 - Maku (1623 Views)

PDP Faults Fashola's Criticism Of Good Governance Tour / Good Governance Tour Ill-conceived – Fashola / Oshiomhole Wont Use State Resources For Good Governance Tour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

National Good Governance Tour Starts Today Sept. 20 - Maku by MurphyT1: 10:35am On Sep 19, 2012
Abuja, Sept. 11, 2012 (NAN) The Minister of Information, Mr Labaran Maku, has called on resident information officers and heads of Information Centres across the country to project government’s programmes at the grassroots.

Maku spoke in Abuja on Tuesday during a meeting with the information officers ahead of the forthcoming National Good Governance Tour, organised by the Federal Ministry of Information.

All the information officers and heads of Federal Information Centres were present at the meeting.

The minister said that the era of redundancy in the federal information centres was over and promised that the centres would be supported for better service delivery.

He encouraged the officers to use all public information organs in their domains to ensure that Nigerians, irrespective of their locations, were informed about government activities.

The minister urged the officers to be creative in evolving strategies of communication, especially in the non-traditional media, to ensure that the programmes permeated the grassroots.

Maku said the ministry would develop a mechanism to measure the impact of their activities in the states, adding that there would be punishments and rewards for performance.

He said that the ministry would no longer tolerate laxity and laziness from information officers.

Commenting on the forthcoming tour, Maku said the information officers were expected to act as liaison between the visiting team and people in the states.

He said that the success or failure of the exercise was dependent on the ingenuity of information officers.

The minister stressed the need for the information officers to cooperate with the coordinating teams in the states, pointing out that the tour was aimed at increasing citizens’ participation in governance.

``There is need for us to carry the people along, to explain to them what the government is doing and what it intends to do to better their lives.

``A lot of work has been done by this administration in the past two years which has not been adequately reported in the media. So, this tour will expose a lot things for everyone to see,” Maku said.

He said that the Nigerian Governors Forum had endorsed the plan for the commencement of the tour.

Maku said that Nigerians from all walks of life would have the opportunity of asking questions about projects that would be visited by the team.

He said that platforms in the conventional and non-conventional media would be made available for Nigerians to express their views about the projects that would be visited.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the tour will commence on Sept. 20, from the Federal Capital Territory (FCT). (NAN)

http://www.nanngronline.com/section/general/national-good-governance-tour-starts-on-sept-20-says-maku
http://peoplesdaily-online.com/~peoplesd/index.php/news/news/national-news/5446-maku-to-begin-nationwide-good-governance-tour
Re: National Good Governance Tour Starts Today Sept. 20 - Maku by usmanyaro17: 10:39am On Sep 19, 2012
This is a good development at least people will see what the government is doing in order to have more confidence in the government.
Re: National Good Governance Tour Starts Today Sept. 20 - Maku by MurphyT1: 10:42am On Sep 19, 2012
i think this is expedient at this point in time, pple need to know what n what has been done so far in this administration, and where citizens think the govt hasnt done well or are lacking, they can comfortably call or communicate tru appropraite medium which will be made public soon...atleast critics can speak their minds and profer supposedly beta solutions. A right step in the right direction.
objectives of the tour include informing Nigerians about government achievements in the past two years so as to increase civil participation in governance.
a “Special Mission” aimed at “explaining programmes, activities and budgets executed under the Transformation Agenda of the President”.
Re: National Good Governance Tour Starts Today Sept. 20 - Maku by mamikky: 10:45am On Sep 19, 2012
This initiative by the FG is highly commendable, it affords the electorates to interface with Govt directly, allows for accountability on the part of govt and in the long run will yield dividends of democracy because there is always room for feedback.... I appreciate this gesture and wish for its steady implementation
Re: National Good Governance Tour Starts Today Sept. 20 - Maku by BlackMamba2: 10:51am On Sep 19, 2012
It is our utmost prayer that this team really reaches the grassroot as planned o! We dont want a situation where they stop at the local government secretariate or worst still the state governor's office. They need to go into the nook and crannies of the ghetto/community.
Re: National Good Governance Tour Starts Today Sept. 20 - Maku by IjeomaObasi: 10:54am On Sep 19, 2012
This is indeed a very good step in the right direction that has long been over due.it will ensure public participation in policy making.
Re: National Good Governance Tour Starts Today Sept. 20 - Maku by 1800bc(f): 11:06am On Sep 19, 2012
There will need to be adequate proof to convey their message to the grassroots cos they have been fed with hearsay for a long time...
Re: National Good Governance Tour Starts Today Sept. 20 - Maku by HammedSodiqq: 11:07am On Sep 19, 2012
The success of any administrations lies in the ability of such Govt to adequately publish their mission, vision, and efforts in meeting the needs of the people. All objective analysts including oppositions too know that GEJ has tried, his short spell in office notwithstanding . So many projects have been initiated, some completed, some ongoing, while policies with humane character are being continually formulated. Famously, the Issue of Improved Power supply, FOI Act, Electoral reform, New Universities, alimajiri schools, exposure of Corrupt officials and so on standout. But how well has Govt information Agencies published Gej's efforts. I think this will serve as a wake up call to Govt media units.
Secondly, on National Good Governance tour, this is novel. It means dismantling Govt at the centre and bringing it to the people. During this tour, Govt will know the completion stages Federal projects are at, it will know Contractors that are working and those that are not. Govt will meet one on one with the rural and urban communities, know their needs and act appropriately. GEJ deserves commendation again on this. Recall that recently the FED exco signed the performance evaluation Pactand the result is already manifesting. Goodluck to Goodluck.
Re: National Good Governance Tour Starts Today Sept. 20 - Maku by Femzy24: 12:01pm On Sep 19, 2012
We've heard dis ova n ova again...just improve power datz d most important tin..this wud stop critiques frm criticizin cos de r taking it personal now.
Re: National Good Governance Tour Starts Today Sept. 20 - Maku by Yaya6: 12:06pm On Sep 19, 2012
It is coming to the realization of GEJ administration of the things that are lacking in the preset dispensation.FOLLOW UP. Am sure some contractors are already developing hbp now with the present move by the govt. it is a welcome development as it will also give a glearing picture of the govt developmental efforts so far. #supportGEJ
Re: National Good Governance Tour Starts Today Sept. 20 - Maku by bubadaniel13: 12:07pm On Sep 19, 2012
HammedSodiqq: The success of any administrations lies in the ability of such Govt to adequately publish their mission, vision, and efforts in meeting the needs of the people. All objective analysts including oppositions too know that GEJ has tried, his short spell in office notwithstanding . So many projects have been initiated, some completed, some ongoing, while policies with humane character are being continually formulated. Famously, the Issue of Improved Power supply, FOI Act, Electoral reform, New Universities, alimajiri schools, exposure of Corrupt officials and so on standout. But how well has Govt information Agencies published Gej's efforts. I think this will serve as a wake up call to Govt media units.
Secondly, on National Good Governance tour, this is novel. It means dismantling Govt at the centre and bringing it to the people. During this tour, Govt will know the completion stages Federal projects are at, it will know Contractors that are working and those that are not. Govt will meet one on one with the rural and urban communities, know their needs and act appropriately. GEJ deserves commendation again on this. Recall that recently the FED exco signed the performance evaluation Pactand the result is already manifesting. Goodluck to Goodluck.
I wonder why some people are so blinded to be seeing all these achievements,maybe when this project kicks properly we will begin to see positive responses,but the truth of the matter is that this govt is bringing up good programmes.
Re: National Good Governance Tour Starts Today Sept. 20 - Maku by BeraBera(f): 12:28pm On Sep 19, 2012
``A lot of work has been done by this administration in the past two years which has not been adequately reported in the media. So, this tour will expose a lot things for everyone to see,” Maku said.
They should also expect feedback from the people. The masses should be able to assess the developmental projects and make inputs as to how to make them better.
Re: National Good Governance Tour Starts Today Sept. 20 - Maku by Deleahmed: 12:32pm On Sep 19, 2012
The idea is really worthy of emulation. Democracy is the govt of the people, it therefore opine on the principle of openness which requires the government to keep overt all the progress in their administration to the people they are leading. I hope these effort materialized cos at the end Nigerians will be able to judge whether the govt are truly working or not.Anyways Kudos
Re: National Good Governance Tour Starts Today Sept. 20 - Maku by NiceKid2(f): 12:33pm On Sep 19, 2012
Omo, you go hear "expedite action" Some governors and LG Chairmen would now quickly embark on projects to be projected to the people too.
Re: National Good Governance Tour Starts Today Sept. 20 - Maku by banki(m): 3:14pm On Sep 19, 2012
wow i see you"sycophants" are her in full swing today......i havent forgoten that this same minister organised a parley for ministers to tell nigerians how well they have performed...... The parley that the odinary nigerian was not allowed to enter, the parley that was televised at 11 oclock in the moring till 2pm when ghosts would be watching... mmm after some weeks the minister of defence was removed....for nine performance, this is the same ministry of information that does not have functional updated website, the same information minister that has a minister of state, and theres a presidential spokesman, theres senior special assistant to the president on media, theres senior special assistant on New Media, theres chief press sectary, theres DG news agency of nigeria, THeres DG NOA, theres dg Nta, abeg the president has too many people doing the same work for him he doesnt need a tour..... if he is working people will know if he is not working people will know.... or do you think they dont have eyes you think they cant see that theres no road to enter Abuja from Lokoja or you think they cannot see that enugu owerri is a disaster, or you think they cannot see that theres fuel scarcity in Abuja, or you think the nigerians working in our foreign missions dont know that they have not been paid for 4months? you think nigerians dont know that we are going cashless but incresing the amount of money in circulation, you think they dont know that its the presidents freinds that are the ones that collected subsidy money and sponsored his election, you think they dont know that obj and yaradua injected loads of money without results to the power sector and told us to wait till about this time then we start seeing results, you think the people dont know that weve have lots of rains and there is a relationship between the rains and electricity suppy, you think the people did not feel change in electricity supply and when they did they praised the president? of cause they did, Mr Maku ......... your just looking for an avenue to chop money more money than you need,
Re: National Good Governance Tour Starts Today Sept. 20 - Maku by bubadaniel13: 3:23pm On Sep 19, 2012
banki: wow i see you"sycophants" are her in full swing today......i havent forgoten that this same minister organised a parley for ministers to tell nigerians how well they have performed...... The parley that the odinary nigerian was not allowed to enter, the parley that was televised at 11 oclock in the moring till 2pm when ghosts would be watching... mmm after some weeks the minister of defence was removed....for nine performance, this is the same ministry of information that does not have functional updated website, the same information minister that has a minister of state, and theres a presidential spokesman, theres senior special assistant to the president on media, theres senior special assistant on New Media, theres chief press sectary, theres DG news agency of nigeria, THeres DG NOA, theres dg Nta, abeg the president has too many people doing the same work for him he doesnt need a tour..... if he is working people will know if he is not working people will know.... or do you think they dont have eyes you think they cant see that theres no road to enter Abuja from Lokoja or you think they cannot see that enugu owerri is a disaster, or you think they cannot see that theres fuel scarcity in Abuja, or you think the nigerians working in our foreign missions dont know that they have not been paid for 4months? you think nigerians dont know that we are going cashless but incresing the amount of money in circulation, you think they dont know that its the presidents freinds that are the ones that collected subsidy money and sponsored his election, you think they dont know that obj and yaradua injected loads of money without results to the power sector and told us to wait till about this time then we start seeing results, you think the people dont know that weve have lots of rains and there is a relationship between the rains and electricity suppy, you think the people did not feel change in electricity supply and when they did they praised the president? of cause they did, Mr Maku ......... your just looking for an avenue to chop money more money than you need,
The problem of people like you Banki is that you always see the dark side of life,forgetting that life offers more goods things than bad,tell something,should I not believe what I am told or seen,if call me a sycophants because I believe that the govt is bring up a laudable project I agree,may I remind u that pessimism is a dead end it makes you loose focus in life,as far as I am concern if this project is carried out it will change the perception of pessimist like you who don't see anything good in this life.
Re: National Good Governance Tour Starts Today Sept. 20 - Maku by Elueme: 3:43pm On Sep 19, 2012
banki: wow i see you"sycophants" are her in full swing today......i havent forgoten that this same minister organised a parley for ministers to tell nigerians how well they have performed...... The parley that the odinary nigerian was not allowed to enter, the parley that was televised at 11 oclock in the moring till 2pm when ghosts would be watching... mmm after some weeks the minister of defence was removed....for nine performance, this is the same ministry of information that does not have functional updated website, the same information minister that has a minister of state, and theres a presidential spokesman, theres senior special assistant to the president on media, theres senior special assistant on New Media, theres chief press sectary, theres DG news agency of nigeria, THeres DG NOA, theres dg Nta, abeg the president has too many people doing the same work for him he doesnt need a tour..... if he is working people will know if he is not working people will know.... or do you think they dont have eyes you think they cant see that theres no road to enter Abuja from Lokoja or you think they cannot see that enugu owerri is a disaster, or you think they cannot see that theres fuel scarcity in Abuja, or you think the nigerians working in our foreign missions dont know that they have not been paid for 4months? you think nigerians dont know that we are going cashless but incresing the amount of money in circulation, you think they dont know that its the presidents freinds that are the ones that collected subsidy money and sponsored his election, you think they dont know that obj and yaradua injected loads of money without results to the power sector and told us to wait till about this time then we start seeing results, you think the people dont know that weve have lots of rains and there is a relationship between the rains and electricity suppy, you think the people did not feel change in electricity supply and when they did they praised the president? of cause they did, Mr Maku ......... your just looking for an avenue to chop money more money than you need,
You are sick in your brains.. No insult just a candid diagnosis
Re: National Good Governance Tour Starts Today Sept. 20 - Maku by Kx: 3:45pm On Sep 19, 2012
[size=14pt]Good wine needs no bush[/size]
Re: National Good Governance Tour Starts Today Sept. 20 - Maku by Elueme: 3:50pm On Sep 19, 2012
This approach for sure will put MDAs, state and local governments on their toes.. Exactly what the country needs reflecting on our past failed projects owing to lack of adequate monitoring
Re: National Good Governance Tour Starts Today Sept. 20 - Maku by MurphyT1: 8:52am On Sep 20, 2012
the tour begins frm FCT, thru out d federation.
Re: National Good Governance Tour Starts Today Sept. 20 - Maku by banki(m): 8:58am On Sep 20, 2012
Elueme: You are sick in your brains.. No insult just a candid diagnosis

Thank you elueme you see when people like you hurl insults at others simply because they dodnt buy your lies it leaves me no option than to leave you to your faith.

If i lied in that post please refer me to a dr...that would make me as sane as you are,
Re: National Good Governance Tour Starts Today Sept. 20 - Maku by MurphyT1: 9:24am On Sep 20, 2012

banki i no u r entitle to ur opinion, but not when it is without facts, let me help u...the tour isnt just abt makin pple see or know the areas govt is developin, but to check some fraudulent contractors who arnt doin anything on site, but hav bin paid, to ensure that the projects are goin on well...if the dnt get to lokoja rd, hw will de no dat d rd is stl bad..i think sometimes we hav to think first b4 respondin to post, so we dnt allow r personal grudges becloud our reasoning...incase u didnt no, pple like u will hav an opportunity to tell the team that this, this and that hasnt bin done, and hav a chance of suggestin wot u think will b right to do, if itz good, fine, it will b done. dnt always wait to criticize, letz support good doings.
Re: National Good Governance Tour Starts Today Sept. 20 - Maku by Demdem(m): 9:29am On Sep 20, 2012
Good governance tour shocked foolishness of the highest order. Another avenue to chop oil money. The people aren't blind to see and appreciate work done.
Did the people waited for a tour to tell them that light has marginally improved?
This can only come from a retardeenic govt.
Re: National Good Governance Tour Starts Today Sept. 20 - Maku by Camilia247: 9:30am On Sep 20, 2012
Plz when will the get to ebonyi Plz, we need a lot of infrastructures in the state. We really need to no wot has bin done in terms of power generation n distribution, dis is d most important now.
Re: National Good Governance Tour Starts Today Sept. 20 - Maku by MurphyT1: 9:36am On Sep 20, 2012
Demdem: Good governance tour shocked foolishness of the highest order. Another avenue to chop oil money. The people aren't blind to see and appreciate work done.
Did the people waited for a tour to tell them that light has marginally improved?
This can only come from a retardeenic govt.
demdem itz not all abt chopping oil money, i believe it will help the govt ascertain the level of work done by contractors across the country, this will kip them (contractors) on their toes and make them deliver...overtime pple complain that notin has bin done, i no go lie, i de complain well well, so if they feel going round to monitor and bring to the public wot they hav achieve, itz ok..me i m waiting to no hw a local govt chairman has affected the lives of his pple.
Re: National Good Governance Tour Starts Today Sept. 20 - Maku by Demdem(m): 9:45am On Sep 20, 2012
Murphy T:
demdem itz not all abt chopping oil money, i believe it will help the govt ascertain the level of work done by contractors across the country, this will kip them (contractors) on their toes and make them deliver...overtime pple complain that notin has bin done, i no go lie, i de complain well well, so if they feel going round to monitor and bring to the public wot they hav achieve, itz ok..me i m waiting to no hw a local govt chairman has affected the lives of his pple.

Each ministry do have project monitoring groups that are paid to ensure compliance and make sure contracts awarded are done to specification. Are u insinuating that these ones are being paid for doing nothing.
Am also aware we have special duties minister or of some sort (not sure), what does this one do?

What about the special adviser to the president on project implementation? What does he do?

If these ones are to do their work properly as expected of them, then we won't need a tour. I expect the president to sack these ones first before they proceed with the useless tour.
Re: National Good Governance Tour Starts Today Sept. 20 - Maku by Omojuo: 9:49am On Sep 20, 2012
Thumbs up
Re: National Good Governance Tour Starts Today Sept. 20 - Maku by MurphyT1: 9:57am On Sep 20, 2012
Demdem:

Each ministry do have project monitoring groups that are paid to ensure compliance and make sure contracts awarded are done to specification. Are u insinuating that these ones are being paid for doing nothing.
Am also aware we have special duties minister or of some sort (not sure), what does this one do?

What about the special adviser to the president on project implementation? What does he do?

If these ones are to do their work properly as expected of them, then we won't need a tour. I expect the president to sack these ones first before they proceed with the useless tour.
now u r talkin, all dis guys r part of the tour, infact it is thier idea, the ministry of information is just acting like a medium as usual to propagate the developments, the SA project implementatn tells the president, while min of info tells nigerians
Re: National Good Governance Tour Starts Today Sept. 20 - Maku by Demdem(m): 10:12am On Sep 20, 2012
Murphy T:
now u r talkin, all dis guys r part of the tour, infact it is thier idea, the ministry of information is just acting like a medium as usual to propagate the developments, the SA project implementatn tells the president, while min of info tells nigerians

When one is employed for a job, u do it and get paid. The tour is a waste of time and resources. Do u know these publicized tour will cost us more? No matter how u look at it, its not neccesary. Instead peeps should be encouraged to do what they are employed to do.
Re: National Good Governance Tour Starts Today Sept. 20 - Maku by Ak47bullet: 10:13am On Sep 20, 2012
Ratatatatatata Kpooooom! I go manage support GEJ for this one. Feedback policy helps in any people oriented organization? Let them go out and hear from the people one on one

1 Like

Re: National Good Governance Tour Starts Today Sept. 20 - Maku by MurphyT1: 11:16am On Sep 20, 2012
Demdem:

When one is employed for a job, u do it and get paid. The tour is a waste of time and resources. Do u know these publicized tour will cost us more? No matter how u look at it, its not neccesary. Instead peeps should be encouraged to do what they are employed to do.

every ministry has budget allocation, if min of info decides to use some of thiers in carryin out a tour to tell Nigerians wot d govt has done or is doing and seek thier opinion, i think itz not bad..no extra money is allocated for the tour.
Re: National Good Governance Tour Starts Today Sept. 20 - Maku by Demdem(m): 11:28am On Sep 20, 2012
Murphy T:

every ministry has budget allocation, if min of info decides to use some of thiers in carryin out a tour to tell Nigerians wot d govt has done or is doing and seek thier opinion, i think itz not bad..no extra money is allocated for the tour.

Its unneccesary IMO. If they have excess funds and dont kno what to do with it, it should be be returned to CBN or national treasury.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Our Roads Are Bad. / Chinese Firm To Build Four Airport Terminals In Nigeria / Mbaise Unit Against Religiouse Deceit, Injustice And Domination

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.