Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:54 AM

How To Drive Automatic Vehicles - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Drive Automatic Vehicles (20651 Views)

Is It Ok To Drive This Car As A Lady(photo)? / One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? / Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Drive Automatic Vehicles by drnonny: 6:40pm On Sep 25, 2012
I used manual transmission system to learn Hw to drive. Now i'm blessed with an automatic 2001 toyota camry. i am not used to automatic cars. please i need advice on how to go about it.

Also what does full options entail in cars?

Thank you all in anticipation for your prompt and useful contributions.
Re: How To Drive Automatic Vehicles by Nobody: 7:56pm On Sep 25, 2012
drnonny: I used manual transmission system to learn Hw to drive. Now i'm blessed with an automatic 2001 toyota camry. i am not used to automatic cars. please i need advice on how to go about it.

Not meaning to come across as a total douche, but why did you buy an automatic? You're clearly used to manuals, so I don't get it.

drnonny: Also what does full options entail in cars?

Full options is an ambigous term, coined by Nigerian automobile dealers, to give the impression the vehicles they're selling have every conceivable extra the factory could have supplied them with. When buying a car, just go for what you need, that way you don't get ripped off with a junker. "Full Options" is as elusive as the Loch Ness Monster.

8 Likes

Re: How To Drive Automatic Vehicles by Nobody: 12:46am On Sep 26, 2012
Siena:

Not meaning to come across as a total douche, but why did you buy an automatic? You're clearly used to manuals, so I don't get it.

Very good question.
Typical Nigerian follow-the-crowd mentality.
If you drive a manual in 2012, then you're far behind.
At least, that's what 99.9% of Nigerians believe. SMH
Re: How To Drive Automatic Vehicles by drnonny: 5:52pm On Oct 08, 2012
I didn't buy the car. It was a gift from a family friend!
Re: How To Drive Automatic Vehicles by Lexusgs430: 1:33am On Oct 09, 2012
drnonny: I didn't buy the car. It was a gift from a family friend!

Can I have friends like yours?

18 Likes

Re: How To Drive Automatic Vehicles by Lexusgs430: 1:38am On Oct 09, 2012
They are probably to 4 gear sequences you will need -:
D - Drive
R - Reverse
P - Park
N - Neutral
Hopefully the above is self-explanatory

NB: There are other D coordinates on the gear lever, firstly get used to the above first. Better still read the cars manual.

2 Likes

Re: How To Drive Automatic Vehicles by femi4: 1:02pm On Oct 09, 2012
I doubt if the OP drive at all
If you can handle manual successfully, auto shouldn't be difficult for you to handle

7 Likes

Re: How To Drive Automatic Vehicles by DICKtator: 1:05pm On Oct 09, 2012
Lexusgs430: They are probably to 4 gear sequences you will need -:
D - Drive
R - Reverse
P - Park
N - Neutral

NB: There are other D coordinates on the gear lever, firstly get used to the above first. Better still read the cars manual.

You forgot to add how "useless" the left leg is when driving automatic!
grin grin grin grin

11 Likes

Re: How To Drive Automatic Vehicles by Nobody: 1:07pm On Oct 09, 2012
step on break when you want to change gear.
D-DRIVE
P-PARK-
N-NEUTRAL-R-REVERSE

OPARI

1 Like

Re: How To Drive Automatic Vehicles by Nobody: 1:07pm On Oct 09, 2012
Lexusgs430: They are probably to 4 gear sequences you will need -:
D - Drive
R - Reverse
P - Park
N - Neutral

The sequence is

P - Park
R - Reverse
N - Neutral
D - Drive

JUst step into your car, release the handbrake if it is on, press on the brake pedals and start the ignition. With your feet still on the pedal, change gear from park into reverse or drive then release the brake pedals and off you go. Very boring car to drive. Manuals rule.

8 Likes

Re: How To Drive Automatic Vehicles by Kslib(m): 1:09pm On Oct 09, 2012
Since na automatic,na d car suppose drive you nah..not the other way round...

1 Like

Re: How To Drive Automatic Vehicles by mrperfect(m): 1:09pm On Oct 09, 2012
I this should be easy, as it just simpler.
Re: How To Drive Automatic Vehicles by Nobody: 1:09pm On Oct 09, 2012
femi4: I doubt if the OP drive at all
If you can handle manual successfully, auto shouldn't be difficult for you to handle
shooooooo

says who? l doubt if u too have driven both manual and auto tranny vehicles before. its like saying if u can drive a car, u can drive articulated vehicle as well

2 Likes

Re: How To Drive Automatic Vehicles by Areaboy2(m): 1:11pm On Oct 09, 2012
Lexusgs430:

Can I have friends like yours?

LOL!! we all can do with a friend like that indeed smiley

@topic, there isn't really a "special" way to drive an auto tranny car to be honest.

Well, first of all it has two pedals instead of three and you don't need to use one leg for each (except you are a race driver tongue). Your right leg will do all the job (braking and accelerating).

Basically, step on the brake and shift the stick to your desired gear, let go the brake and throttle as desired.

The basic will be P R N D. Although some cars will have D1, D2, D3 but we hardly ever use these in everyday driving.

Although you don't get as much control as a Manual transmission will give you, an auto tranny will allow you to relax and it is priceless in traffic situations. Be gentle with your accelerations to prevent stressing your transmission all the time as most of them aren't as rugged as their manual counterparts and cost an arm and a leg to fix when they go bad. Keep your revs between 2k and 3k rpm for city driving and you'll be fine.

If you have any more query I'll be happy to chip in as much as I know.

Drive safe wink

Edit:
Full option is the rather ambiguous term auto traders in Nigeria tend to use for a car that comes equip with all the possible gadgets for that model. In a sense, they mean a full luxury/safety option. Multiple air bags, leather seats, sun/moon roof (which ever u like to call it) and maybe more depending on the year. Toyota will be an XLE while Honda will be an EX-L V6(I think)? dunno about the rest lol

5 Likes

Re: How To Drive Automatic Vehicles by Bunchersstab(m): 1:14pm On Oct 09, 2012
Go 2 a driving school.
Okay?
Re: How To Drive Automatic Vehicles by admin7(m): 1:18pm On Oct 09, 2012
femi4: I doubt if the OP drive at all
Gbam!!!
Re: How To Drive Automatic Vehicles by Egbagirl(f): 1:21pm On Oct 09, 2012
blink182: The sequence is

P - Park
R - Reverse
N - Neutral
D - Drive

JUst step into your car, release the handbrake if it is on, press on the brake pedals and start the ignition. With your feet still on the pedal, change gear from park into reverse or drive then release the brake pedals and off you go. Very boring car to drive. Manuals rule.

Totally agree!! Manuals are so much fun!
Re: How To Drive Automatic Vehicles by AFOLSNETWORKS(m): 1:25pm On Oct 09, 2012
Guess ur hand is straight on steering, so just engage d gear lever to D-Drive, and fire on.

If u feel likepressing d third peddal, clutch (used in engagin/disengagin gear) which is now missin, just hit ur leg on d foot mat, but dont let ur hade touch d gear lever, better still place d hand on ur neecap or J-stick and adjust it.

wink

1 Like

Re: How To Drive Automatic Vehicles by Nobody: 1:27pm On Oct 09, 2012
Egba girl: Totally agree!! Manuals are so much fun!

That's the spirit!

#JusticeforAluu4
Re: How To Drive Automatic Vehicles by pduka: 1:31pm On Oct 09, 2012
Huh! just call a friend that uses an auto and they will show u how to go about it...don't be shy. U want to learn auto driving online. ;DHuh!
Re: How To Drive Automatic Vehicles by kagel: 1:33pm On Oct 09, 2012
drnonny: I used manual transmission system to learn Hw to drive. Now i'm blessed with an automatic 2001 toyota camry. i am not used to automatic cars. please i need advice on how to go about it.

Also what does full options entail in cars?

Thank you all in anticipation for your prompt and useful contributions.

How to Drive an Automatic Car
Anyone learning to drive should use a car equipped with an automatic transmission, because shifting gears and gaining clutch coordination on a manual transmission car takes a lot of practice. There are far too many other skills to concentrate on for the sake of becoming a safe driver. Safety is the first consideration for you, your passengers and all other occupants of the road

Instructions

[b]1

Check the vehicle. Look over the tires, glass, wipers and lights before getting in. Tires should be properly inflated with enough tread to touch Lincoln’s head with an inverted penny in the groove. Glass should be free of cracks and wipers able to clear rain or snow from the windshield. Check the lights in front and back as well as both turn signals. Ask someone to step on the brake pedal while you check the brake lights in the rear.

Get in and buckle up. Pull the seat belt and shoulder strap over yourself and snap it securely into the buckle. Seat belts save lives. It only takes a few seconds to put one on and it’s not the least bit uncomfortable. Be sure all passengers are buckled and follow safety regulations regarding children’s weight and proper restraining devices.

Check mirrors. Clean and adjust the rear view and side mirrors. Set the rear view mirror to let you see straight out the back window. Side mirrors should show the back corners of the car to give you a location reference to other objects.

Start it up. Turn the key to start the engine, apply the brake and shift into the desired gear with the gear lever on the steering column or floor console between the front seats. Depress the accelerator lightly to get the car rolling. Now check the brakes before you actually need them to stop the car.

Choose the gear. Shift the car into the best gear for the road and weather conditions. Obviously, if you want to back up, reverse is the only choice ("R"wink. For normal driving, shift into high gear and leave it there. A circled "grin" allows best fuel efficiency at high speeds. On vehicles with overdrive, that’s high gear. To move forward on loose gravel or a muddy dirt road, use one of the lower gears ("L1" or "L2"wink. Shift into a low gear any time you are going down a steep grade. Stay in high gear going uphill and the automatic transmission will adjust itself to meet the demand.

Use the right foot. Use the same foot for the accelerator and the brake. Reflexes will take your foot from gas to brake in less than half a second. Two-footed driving needlessly burns fuel and brake pads.

Take a hands-on approach. Grab the steering wheel with both hands at clock positions of 10 and 2, or 9 and 3 if the wheel holds an air bag. Make turns by crossing one hand over another, with one hand on the wheel at all times.

Look around. Check for pedestrians, bicyclists, joggers and children before pulling away from the curb or out of a driveway. Look ahead for hazards or upcoming steering adjustments. Check both ways before entering intersections. Be aware of all other vehicles around you, including the ones behind you. Check mirrors and turn your head quickly to check spots the mirrors don’t show before changing lanes or entering traffic.

Use the turn signal to show other drivers your intention to change lanes, make a turn, enter the roadway or parallel park.

Take to the highway. Enter a highway by gaining speed as you drive up the on ramp. Signal your intention to merge with traffic and check mirrors and blind spots for a safe gap in traffic. Drive in the center lane on three-lane roads. Use the right lane on two-lane highways, saving the left lane for passing. Although it may be tempting to speed on highways, keep your speed within 5 mph of the posted speed limit.

Drive according to location and conditions. Use a gentle touch on the brake and accelerator in snow and ice. Beware of hydroplaning in rain, and dry the brakes by holding the pedal down a little while moving. Constantly watch for pedestrians in the city. Look out for children and pets in suburbs, and watch for wildlife on rural routes.

[/b]
Read more: How to Drive an Automatic Car | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4460806_drive-automatic-car.html#ixzz28nvwKAcS

5 Likes

Re: How To Drive Automatic Vehicles by chucky234(m): 1:47pm On Oct 09, 2012
drnonny: I didn't buy the car. It was a gift from a family friend!
Why God no give me your type of friends na,even yogurt my friends dem no fit buy for my birthday.

1 Like

Re: How To Drive Automatic Vehicles by HAH: 1:49pm On Oct 09, 2012
my brother you just got a car of our time, all the progressive nations are mostly using automatic which is better, it is only conservative people like the british and some few european that a still stuck with manual cars, in america 80% of cars are now automatic in the middle east 95% are auto. using a manual car is like using black and white tv these days. so just enjoy your ride. cheers
Re: How To Drive Automatic Vehicles by chucky234(m): 1:49pm On Oct 09, 2012
obadiah777: step on break when you want to change gear.
D-DRIVE
P-PARK-
N-NEUTRAL-R-REVERSE

OPARI
Bad driver na him you be ooo,you think say na manual OP wan drive abi.
Re: How To Drive Automatic Vehicles by Jamesmelbin(m): 1:56pm On Oct 09, 2012
Good things
Re: How To Drive Automatic Vehicles by chucky234(m): 1:56pm On Oct 09, 2012
mxxpunkxx!:

Very good question.
Guy there is no such thing as follow-the-crowd mentality when making choice between a manual transmission and automatic transmission gear system,why drive a manual car if you can afford auto? Driving auto car gives you the freedom to enjoy life while cruising,you relax more unlike manual car that requires total concentration especially with the clutch thing,damn.
Re: How To Drive Automatic Vehicles by pssword: 1:59pm On Oct 09, 2012
You will be using your brakes a lot because you won't have engine braking (down-shifting). Also from slow or stop position, you'll have to press the accelerator hard to get it going or to change gears for you. It takes some getting used to, but you will get there..
Re: How To Drive Automatic Vehicles by drzed: 2:01pm On Oct 09, 2012
kagel:

How to Drive an Automatic Car
Anyone learning to drive should use a car equipped with an automatic transmission, because shifting gears and gaining clutch coordination on a manual transmission car takes a lot of practice. There are far too many other skills to concentrate on for the sake of becoming a safe driver. Safety is the first consideration for you, your passengers and all other occupants of the road

Instructions

[b]1

Check the vehicle. Look over the tires, glass, wipers and lights before getting in. Tires should be properly inflated with enough tread to touch Lincoln’s head with an inverted penny in the groove. Glass should be free of cracks and wipers able to clear rain or snow from the windshield. Check the lights in front and back as well as both turn signals. Ask someone to step on the brake pedal while you check the brake lights in the rear.

Get in and buckle up. Pull the seat belt and shoulder strap over yourself and snap it securely into the buckle. Seat belts save lives. It only takes a few seconds to put one on and it’s not the least bit uncomfortable. Be sure all passengers are buckled and follow safety regulations regarding children’s weight and proper restraining devices.

Check mirrors. Clean and adjust the rear view and side mirrors. Set the rear view mirror to let you see straight out the back window. Side mirrors should show the back corners of the car to give you a location reference to other objects.

Start it up. Turn the key to start the engine, apply the brake and shift into the desired gear with the gear lever on the steering column or floor console between the front seats. Depress the accelerator lightly to get the car rolling. Now check the brakes before you actually need them to stop the car.

Choose the gear. Shift the car into the best gear for the road and weather conditions. Obviously, if you want to back up, reverse is the only choice ("R"wink. For normal driving, shift into high gear and leave it there. A circled "grin" allows best fuel efficiency at high speeds. On vehicles with overdrive, that’s high gear. To move forward on loose gravel or a muddy dirt road, use one of the lower gears ("L1" or "L2"wink. Shift into a low gear any time you are going down a steep grade. Stay in high gear going uphill and the automatic transmission will adjust itself to meet the demand.

Use the right foot. Use the same foot for the accelerator and the brake. Reflexes will take your foot from gas to brake in less than half a second. Two-footed driving needlessly burns fuel and brake pads.

Take a hands-on approach. Grab the steering wheel with both hands at clock positions of 10 and 2, or 9 and 3 if the wheel holds an air bag. Make turns by crossing one hand over another, with one hand on the wheel at all times.

Look around. Check for pedestrians, bicyclists, joggers and children before pulling away from the curb or out of a driveway. Look ahead for hazards or upcoming steering adjustments. Check both ways before entering intersections. Be aware of all other vehicles around you, including the ones behind you. Check mirrors and turn your head quickly to check spots the mirrors don’t show before changing lanes or entering traffic.

Use the turn signal to show other drivers your intention to change lanes, make a turn, enter the roadway or parallel park.

Take to the highway. Enter a highway by gaining speed as you drive up the on ramp. Signal your intention to merge with traffic and check mirrors and blind spots for a safe gap in traffic. Drive in the center lane on three-lane roads. Use the right lane on two-lane highways, saving the left lane for passing. Although it may be tempting to speed on highways, keep your speed within 5 mph of the posted speed limit.

Drive according to location and conditions. Use a gentle touch on the brake and accelerator in snow and ice. Beware of hydroplaning in rain, and dry the brakes by holding the pedal down a little while moving. Constantly watch for pedestrians in the city. Look out for children and pets in suburbs, and watch for wildlife on rural routes.

[/b]
Read more: How to Drive an Automatic Car | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4460806_drive-automatic-car.html#ixzz28nvwKAcS

Kai, wetin be dis? Wharisalldis long tori? You CANNOT learn to drive a car from an online tutorial. It is not like recipe for egusi soup which you follow step by step. Human lives (your life + life of other road users) are at risk - not to mention loads of innocent goats, chickens and dogs grin.

In any case, the OP's problem is how to get used to automatic transmission system and NOT how to signal, look for signs or negotiate bends, etc.

My advice is, if you already know how to drive a manual but want to switch to auto, it is better to take an experienced auto driver for a short practice. Or until you get the hang of it. This is the best way to appreciate the P,R,N,D or whatever alphabet auto people dem dey use.

Having said that, manuals RULE! That is real/proper driving right there! I would only use auto if I live in some traffic-jam city like Lagos. And I dont.
Re: How To Drive Automatic Vehicles by GenOrumov: 2:05pm On Oct 09, 2012
Siena:

mxxpunkxx!:

Very good question.
Just because you are used to something doesn't mean that you can't try an alternative that is obviously simpler, easier and more convenient (considering the amount of time we use in traffic jams in Nigeria) than what you are used to.
Re: How To Drive Automatic Vehicles by chucky234(m): 2:08pm On Oct 09, 2012
drzed:

Kai, wetin be dis? Wharisalldis long tori? You CANNOT learn to drive a car from an online tutorial. It is not like recipe for egusi soup which you follow step by step. Human lives (your life + life of other road users) are at risk - not to mention loads of innocent goats, chickens and dogs grin.

In any case, the OP's problem is how to get used to automatic transmission system and NOT how to signal, look for signs or negotiate bends, etc.

My advice is, if you already know how to drive a manual but want to switch to auto, it is better to take an experienced auto driver for a short practice. Or until you get the hang of it. This is the best way to appreciate the P,R,N,D or whatever alphabet auto people dem dey use.

Having said that, manuals RULE! That is real/proper driving right there! I would only use auto if I live in some traffic-jam city like Lagos. And I dont.

I started driving with manual Mazda 626 but I can't ever imagine myself driving a manuel car in this 21st century except on rare occasions that's if such occasion ever present itself.
Re: How To Drive Automatic Vehicles by Nobody: 2:08pm On Oct 09, 2012
@Drzed. Yeah. I tell you one of the most annoying things is to be constantly shifting gears in a Traffic Jam. angry

May seem "not so bad" at first, but wait for the next 3-4 hours to set in.

1 Like

Re: How To Drive Automatic Vehicles by danjalingo: 2:14pm On Oct 09, 2012
toba: shooooooo

says who? l doubt if u too have driven both manual and auto tranny vehicles before. its like saying if u can drive a car, u can drive articulated vehicle as well
which one be articulated vehicle again? una no go kill person ooooo! this small question na im d bring wahala. na wa oo.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

U.S To Start Testing Cars Fitted With Digital Camera Side Mirrors / 7 Unethical Things Vulcanizers Do That Car Users Don't Like / Fire Razes Car In Front Of Army Headquarters Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.