Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,768 members, 7,809,960 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:54 PM

Jonathan: Fear Of The Unknown Forces Nigerian Leaders To Stay In Office - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan: Fear Of The Unknown Forces Nigerian Leaders To Stay In Office (13646 Views)

12 Prominent Nigerian Leaders Yet To Congratulate President-elect, GMB / GEJ, Buhari, IBB, Other Past Nigerian Leaders At Council Of State Meeting Abuja / Group Urges APC Leaders To Replace Buhari With Kwankwaso (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan: Fear Of The Unknown Forces Nigerian Leaders To Stay In Office by Biggyd2: 6:45am On Sep 27, 2012
Why Nigerian leaders refuse to leave office -Jonathan •As Blair, Rice counsel him

PRESIDENT Goodluck Jonathan, on Wednesday, advanced the reason many Nigerian political leaders fight to sit tight in office, saying that it was because of their fear of the unknown.

He, however, said the electoral reforms embar-ked upon by his admini-stration would continue to ensure that the choice of the people emerged at elections.

President Jonathan disclosed this at a breakfast meeting on the Nigerian economy, organi-sed by the African Business Roundtable in New York, United States.

Addressing the audience, which had former British Prime Minister, Tony Blair; former United States Secretary of State, Condoleezza Rice; inter-national investors and captains of industry from Nigeria, President Jona-than said Nigeria had numerous problems, add-ing that his government had decided to prioritise its options, in order to deal with the challenges systematically.

“We are totally committed in solving our problems. We started with the electoral process and we have demonstrated our commitment in sanitising that system, because when the people put you there, you will be committed to serving them

“I was ready to lose the election if Nigerians did not want me. If I was ready to be disgraced out of office to sanitise the system, that is to tell you I am ready to sanitise the system to bring about investments in our country,” he said.

He assured the investors that he would ensure the investment environment was sanitised to attract investors and create jobs for the teeming youth in the country.

President Jonathan promised to carry the Nigerian people along in the governance process, though he conceded that it was not possible to involve all in the administration of the country at the same time.

Blair, speaking on the occasion, urged Nigerians not to always accept the stance of the opposition on issues, as they were not speaking for the majority of the citizens but a few vested interests.

While urging for support for President Jonathan, the former British leader lauded his effort to reform the political and economic sectors of the country, which, he observed, was a difficult but necessary thing to do.

Citing the case of the deregulation of the down-stream sector of the petroleum industry and other critical areas, he told the president that this was a moment of opportunity and, therefore, he must have the courage to proceed with the planned economic reforms.

Blair said with what was going on in Nigeria, the country was on its way up, noting that once Nigeria was on its way up, it meant Africa was on its way up.

In her contribution, Ms Rice observed that for the first time, news emanating from Africa had turned from the negative issues such as AIDS, famine and wars to positive news about opportunities existing in the continent.

She congratulated Jonathan for his efforts at repositioning the country and advised on critical areas of responsibility which must be fulfilled in order to realise the potentials of the country.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/front-page-news/48281-why-nigerian-leaders-refuse-to-leave-office-jonathan-as-blair-rice-counsel-him
Re: Jonathan: Fear Of The Unknown Forces Nigerian Leaders To Stay In Office by killuminati(m): 7:30am On Sep 27, 2012
Odechuwku redardino jonadullard the dummy dumb dumb undecided

Abeg this post is for sale!

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan: Fear Of The Unknown Forces Nigerian Leaders To Stay In Office by Demdem(m): 7:51am On Sep 27, 2012
Foolish talk from the Retardeen once again. Fear of the unknown indeed.
Make these offices less juicy, little or no allowances, abolish immunity clause, make corruption a capital offence that will lead to instant death
without appeal etc and we will see if the office will still be enticing

16 Likes

Re: Jonathan: Fear Of The Unknown Forces Nigerian Leaders To Stay In Office by nuclearboy(m): 7:58am On Sep 27, 2012
Was ready to lose what elections? Was ready to be disgraced?

Yet you spent Trillions purchasing a victory?

Na wa O

8 Likes

Re: Jonathan: Fear Of The Unknown Forces Nigerian Leaders To Stay In Office by FrankC3: 8:03am On Sep 27, 2012
For all the bad names you have to call your President, Blair has already advised him not to always accept your judgment on issues as you are speaking for some vested interests who are bent on maintaining the status quo. Rice also mentioned something about hearing for the first time that instead of news of AIDs and corruption coming from Africa, she can clearly feel GEJ's efforts in terms of expanding opportunities. Even Tinubu and IBB agrees as they are actively involved in this scramble to take advantage of the opportunities. I am most encouraged by the part that Nigeria is on the way up, and that means tht Africa is on the way up.
These are cheering endorsement by the people the investing community listen to, not vested interests.

13 Likes

Re: Jonathan: Fear Of The Unknown Forces Nigerian Leaders To Stay In Office by Demdem(m): 8:08am On Sep 27, 2012
Who is Blair or Rice to tell me what ought to be done for my country and what is in my country's best interest? They dont live here neither can they fully grasp the challenges i face here every day. Only Reetards will regard the views of their colonial masters when there are no longer slaves at the expense of their fellow countrymen views.

10 Likes

Re: Jonathan: Fear Of The Unknown Forces Nigerian Leaders To Stay In Office by Biggyd2: 8:14am On Sep 27, 2012
Blair can say what he wants.He doesn't know the country more than Nigerians. My issue is what GEJ means by 'fear of the unknown". Is that part of the reason he is thinking of a second term.

7 Likes

Re: Jonathan: Fear Of The Unknown Forces Nigerian Leaders To Stay In Office by FrankC3: 8:24am On Sep 27, 2012
Blair and Rice were not talking to you. It was not a campaign tour. They were indirectly wooing the investing community and telling them that Nigeria is on track. And besides, if the right people say that Nigeria is on the right track, i don't care what obvious sympathizers of the opposition political party says.
The colonialists are seeing something good in your country but you are busy denigrating your country and her democratic institutions every day on NL, choosing to emphasize ONLY the negatives at the expense of the positives. I think you are really the guy who is trying to recolonize our minds with negativity.
Nigeria and the current administration must not go down for you to look better. It is our collective responsibility to advance the course of right and fight indicators of a 'failed' mindset- unrelenting negativity.

23 Likes

Re: Jonathan: Fear Of The Unknown Forces Nigerian Leaders To Stay In Office by Nobody: 8:27am On Sep 27, 2012
Frank-C:
For all the bad names you have to call your President, Blair has already advised him not to always accept your judgment on issues as you are speaking for some vested interests who are bent on maintaining the status quo. Rice also mentioned something about hearing for the first time that instead of news of AIDs and corruption coming from Africa, she can clearly feel GEJ's efforts in terms of expanding opportunities. Even Tinubu and IBB agrees as they are actively involved in this scramble to take advantage of the opportunities. I am most encouraged by the part that Nigeria is on the way up, and that means tht Africa is on the way up.
These are cheering endorsement by the people the investing community listen to, not vested interests.
no be only blair rice, na blair beans mtschhhhew! Why not blair garri, god punish dem all!

And I don't want to see this on frontpage or else.....

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan: Fear Of The Unknown Forces Nigerian Leaders To Stay In Office by FrankC3: 8:37am On Sep 27, 2012
Biggyd2: Blair can say what he wants.He doesn't know the country more than Nigerians. My issue is what GEJ means by 'fear of the unknown". Is that part of the reason he is thinking of a second term.

OBJ said the same thing some years back. This is the problem with Africa and Blair and Rice knows he is right because they were part of administrations where sitting presidents deceived millions of people and even doctored reports so that they can go to war in Iraq. Blair and Bush were wrong, we know this, and Rice was part of that America. Today, Bush and Blair are resting from their services to their country because their people understand that they made these terrible judgments while trying to serve their country and advance them.

In Africa here, we know how we denigrate our leaders. We somehow believe that once your time is up, you should be hounded to prison for real and imagined crimes and all that. I am not suggesting that Africa should not hold their leaders accountable after their tenure, but African leaders should be tried ONLY on cases of mass murder and such other crimes. This is the sad truth, but this is the only thing that will consolidate democratic rule in Africa. Now give me one reason why you should not die in office if you are Robert Mugabe.

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan: Fear Of The Unknown Forces Nigerian Leaders To Stay In Office by Demdem(m): 8:40am On Sep 27, 2012
The earlier u realize that those selfish colonial masters of urs are really after their own interests in our country the better for us all. They will come, sulk us dry and leave us has dry woods with no governmental policies to protect his citizens. What makes these ones the "Right people" to comment about my homeland? These selfish ones are in no way qualified at all and can never be an authority to know whats best for my homeland.
My government is giving me crumbs (democracy dividends) at an highly exorbitant rate when the potential (financial,human resources) to eat raw meat at the right price is there even now as we speak and u expect me to rejoice with that? Nonsense. U can hail such but i refused too.

By the way, why do u think those that are not in agreement to the workings of the present govt tends to be aligned with opposition parties? Cant they simply be independent minds?

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan: Fear Of The Unknown Forces Nigerian Leaders To Stay In Office by FrankC3: 8:51am On Sep 27, 2012
^
I understand your point, but i also want you to consider the fact that FDI is a necessary engine for economic transformation in this 21st century. If you want FDI in your country, then you have to make your country look attractive and go out there and woo the investors. They will then come in with the requisite finance, skills and technology to make the change you are asking for. This is the most radical way to create job.

Based on that, we have to praise the Team Nigeria for assembling these high profile individuals like Rice and Blair to advance Nigeria's case. If you have really planned an event before, you will appreciate the amount of lobbying and efforts put in to get these guys seated there at that time to polish us in the eyes of the world and they did the job pretty well.

This to me is an active effort by some people to make the country better, not firing cheap shot from anonymous internet forum. If we want this change to happen, we must do what we can. Which of this administration's policy do you endorse and what HAVE YOU DONE to advance it. Now if you tell me that you disagree with ALL of this administration's policies, i will worry about your motives.

6 Likes

Re: Jonathan: Fear Of The Unknown Forces Nigerian Leaders To Stay In Office by obowunmi(m): 8:52am On Sep 27, 2012
I attended this event...and it is one of the most disorganised rubbish I have ever attended.

I don't know why I even bothered. Blair is a colonialist of Africa - Rice is a republican. Who cares?

News factories, need to tell the truths about these events...the Nigerian government flies people in - who spend time shopping for their family members than handling the business of the country.

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan: Fear Of The Unknown Forces Nigerian Leaders To Stay In Office by Demdem(m): 9:20am On Sep 27, 2012
Frank-C:
^
I understand your point, but i also want you to consider the fact that FDI is a necessary engine for economic transformation in this 21st century. If you want FDI in your country, then you have to make your country look attractive and go out there and woo the investors. They will then come in with the requisite finance, skills and technology to make the change you are asking for. This is the most radical way to create job.

Based on that, we have to praise the Team Nigeria for assembling these high profile individuals like Rice and Blair to advance Nigeria's case. If you have really planned an event before, you will appreciate the amount of lobbying and efforts put in to get these guys seated there at that time to polish us in the eyes of the world and they did the job pretty well.

This to me is an active effort by some people to make the country better, not firing cheap shot from anonymous internet forum. If we want this change to happen, we must do what we can. Which of this administration's policy do you endorse and what HAVE YOU DONE to advance it. Now if you tell me that you disagree with ALL of this administration's policies, i will worry about your motives.

[b]That FDI is a necessity is a fact because no nation exists in isolation but that we will need to lobby and go out there and seek for FDI before they come is a lie from the pit of hell. don't be deceived
Let our govt set our house in order, with the population and resources we have with little or even no publicity, investors will naturally come. In this era of global recession, investors are seeking for fertile grounds that will yield remarkable returns and i believe Nigeria tops the list IMO.
Govt going out there seeking for investors when basic necessities of life like light, water, road etc in the midst of plenty remains a mirage to me is a waste of time.

of cos i appreciate quite a number of this govt initiatives like i always do in past govts. Policies/initiatives has never been our problem. Infact the bulk of the present policies are backlog of OBJ however thats not even the point. Its the implementation. The desire is there but is the will also present. Even when they are being implemented, the bulk is trailed will corrupt practices.

So get it, policies dont move me. Its what i see with my eyes. [/b]

8 Likes

Re: Jonathan: Fear Of The Unknown Forces Nigerian Leaders To Stay In Office by FrankC3: 9:47am On Sep 27, 2012
^
If I understand you, you appreciate an unnamed number of this administration's policy but you are not disposed to DO SOMETHING to advance it, even if it means explaining it to our less informed friends. You seem to be driven more by what you think could go wrong with its implementation. Now, how does criticizing those same policies you 'appreciate' for non performance even before they go their full life cycle make you a better Nigerian. And for the sake of my children and your children, don't you think that the best we could do for our country of birth is to DO SOMETHING in whatever capacity to make things better instead of complaining about the potential of policies to go wrong.

These guys on investment drive for our country are doing something. Now what else are you doing apart from telling them how they are going to fail?

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan: Fear Of The Unknown Forces Nigerian Leaders To Stay In Office by ayox2003: 9:53am On Sep 27, 2012
Blair, speaking on the occasion, urged Nigerians not to always accept the stance of the opposition on issues, as they were not speaking for the majority of the citizens but a few vested interests

Can u just imagine ?

If the opposition doesn't always represent the voice of the people, how on earth does it concern him?

Come-to-think-of-it, opposition always represents the voice of the people in Syria, Libya, Egypt and Russia right? But not in Nigeria just because the current administration forms a strong tie.

This shows that the West doesn't have the interest of the people at heart. Once the govt is an ally, the opposition is wrong and if otherwise the opposition is right.

No wonder Desmond Tutu wants this man to be jailed for war crimes.

Frawzey

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan: Fear Of The Unknown Forces Nigerian Leaders To Stay In Office by Demdem(m): 10:06am On Sep 27, 2012
Frank-C:
^
If I understand you, you appreciate an unnamed number of this administration's policy but you are not disposed to DO SOMETHING to advance it, even if it means explaining it to our less informed friends. You seem to be driven more by what you think could go wrong with its implementation. Now, how does criticizing those same policies you 'appreciate' for non performance even before they go their full life cycle make you a better Nigerian. And for the sake of my children and your children, don't you think that the best we could do for our country of birth is to DO SOMETHING in whatever capacity to make things better instead of complaining about the potential of policies to go wrong.

These guys on investment drive for our country are doing something. Now what else are you doing apart from telling them how they are going to fail?

[b]Firstly, whatever i may be doing on my own is a personal initiative am not obliged to share with anyone including u. Be rest assured that i'm not idle. Secondly u claimed i criticized some policies which u earlier claimed i didnt mention, dont u think u are contradicting ursef just to prove that am really bad cool
Again, as much as i appreciate some of these initiatives (Which arent new anyway) am not so much excited about them yet because factors that led to their failures earlier are still evident till date chief among them is corruption. Can u now understand why i stated until i see it work, am not moved?

If before now we walked on a path that has led us to a particular result, why do u think i should expect a different result when the same path "seems" to be holding sway. U may be optimistic, its allowed but am not. respect that.

The so called investment drive in my opinion is a waste of time and resources. They should concentrate on basic necessities of life at home with our resources, make the environment (economic inclusive)conducive, change the orientation of our people and we all will see investment go overdrive. Investors themselves wants better things.[/b]

8 Likes

Re: Jonathan: Fear Of The Unknown Forces Nigerian Leaders To Stay In Office by Demdem(m): 10:08am On Sep 27, 2012
ayox2003:

Can u just imagine ?

If the opposition doesn't always represent the voice of the people, how on earth does it concern him?

Come-to-think-of-it, opposition always represents the voice of the people in Syria, Libya, Egypt and Russia right? But not in Nigeria just because the current administration forms a strong tie.

This shows that the West doesn't have the interest of the people at heart. Once the govt is an ally, the opposition is wrong and if otherwise the opposition is right.

No wonder Desmond Tutu wants this man to be jailed for war crimes.

Frawzey

Succinctly said. i love this.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan: Fear Of The Unknown Forces Nigerian Leaders To Stay In Office by slimming: 10:24am On Sep 27, 2012
We are on our way up truly.
Re: Jonathan: Fear Of The Unknown Forces Nigerian Leaders To Stay In Office by Nobody: 10:29am On Sep 27, 2012
what a sorry excuse of a president

1 Like

Re: Jonathan: Fear Of The Unknown Forces Nigerian Leaders To Stay In Office by Nobody: 10:32am On Sep 27, 2012
nuclearboy: Was ready to lose what elections? Was ready to be disgraced?

Yet you spent Trillions purchasing a victory?

Na wa O

Man GEJ didn't purchase victory, he won it

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan: Fear Of The Unknown Forces Nigerian Leaders To Stay In Office by Nobody: 10:39am On Sep 27, 2012
If I may ask,who is "the fear of the unknown"? Jonathan has absolutely failed in this one! I don't know why he doesn't think before making clueless statements! Dining with these western murrafuckers and embarrassing himself! What an utter shame! Blair ko! Bread ni! No be only Rice na beans.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan: Fear Of The Unknown Forces Nigerian Leaders To Stay In Office by Joey82(m): 10:39am On Sep 27, 2012
How can we be on our way up?
a lot of environmental issues are confronting Nigeria today and we cant even look at them cos the level of insecurity is alarming.
if the north is contending with boko haram, then issues of desert encroachment are behind the scene but in 5years when farm lands woulda turned dry, security will be more threatened.
if issues of kidnapping currently plague the east, hw about gully erosion sweeping through that subregion, nobody is looking at all these, the flood this year should be an eye opener of things to come.
we have to have a healthy enviroment before we can even talk abt fdi and nobody is even mentioning all these.
God help us we trully on our way up
Re: Jonathan: Fear Of The Unknown Forces Nigerian Leaders To Stay In Office by Nobody: 10:40am On Sep 27, 2012
No concrete substance to Mr President,he is just there because he is just there,there is nothing to and for him, he is a shape without form, a shade without colour, a paralysed force and a gesture without motion.

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan: Fear Of The Unknown Forces Nigerian Leaders To Stay In Office by awesomet1(m): 10:41am On Sep 27, 2012
killuminati: Odechuwku redardino jonadullard the dummy dumb dumb undecided

Abeg this post is for sale!
To the Moderator: When people make statements like this, you do not suspend their account or meet out any punishment. But when we make objective contributions to threads or on a lighter mood, stress the importance of the thread on the Price of "GARRY", we get suspended. Are we saying it's profitable and noteworthy to throw abuses at the President?

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan: Fear Of The Unknown Forces Nigerian Leaders To Stay In Office by Nobody: 10:46am On Sep 27, 2012
Gents, we welcome all good and bad responses from all, but lets stop this evil of insulting the president for every reason. lets try and be more constructive in our presentation or interpretation than playing the witchcraft role. For all we know nigeria is gracefully moving upward, though slow but sure.
Re: Jonathan: Fear Of The Unknown Forces Nigerian Leaders To Stay In Office by FrankC3: 10:47am On Sep 27, 2012
^
No! Insulting the President makes you a 'progressive'
Re: Jonathan: Fear Of The Unknown Forces Nigerian Leaders To Stay In Office by jmaine: 10:49am On Sep 27, 2012
Frank-C:
^
No! Insulting the President makes you a 'progressive'

And also Very objective and intelligent grin . . . . .
Re: Jonathan: Fear Of The Unknown Forces Nigerian Leaders To Stay In Office by DonaldGenes(m): 10:50am On Sep 27, 2012
Donalð qenes is busy readinq feisty comments!!
Re: Jonathan: Fear Of The Unknown Forces Nigerian Leaders To Stay In Office by gbadexy(m): 10:52am On Sep 27, 2012
I can still relate with his statement about fear of the unknown, politicians make enemies while in office but if they are clean they don't need to fear.
I think our president is naturally naïve judging by this statement; “I was ready to lose the election if
Nigerians did not want me. If I was ready
to be disgraced out of office to sanitise
the system, that is to tell you I am ready
to sanitise the system to bring about
investments in our country,” he said.
Although nigerians voted for him, but coming from his mouth and knwing the capability of african leaders, those present there would be thinking 'who is he kidding'.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan: Fear Of The Unknown Forces Nigerian Leaders To Stay In Office by Afam4eva(m): 10:53am On Sep 27, 2012
What does Tony Blair know about Nigeria that he's advising Nigerians not to listen to the Opposition.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan: Fear Of The Unknown Forces Nigerian Leaders To Stay In Office by chucky234(m): 10:56am On Sep 27, 2012
Which type of Rice sef,shey Thai Rice abi na Abakiliki brand. Make dat Ms Rice take time oooo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

JUST IN: Ngige Concede Defeat, Congratulates Obiano / PHOTO: Check Out This Fake Medical Report Presented By A Corper / Are There Yorubas In Kwara and Kogi?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.