Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,505 members, 7,819,829 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:57 AM

What's The Current Unemployment Rate In Nigeria? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What's The Current Unemployment Rate In Nigeria? (18576 Views)

BOI To Reduce Unemployment Rate By Single Digit / Unemployment Rate In Nigeria Hits 23.9% - NBS / Will You Join A Nationwide Protest Against The Unemployment Rate In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Current Unemployment Rate In Nigeria? by Iolo(m): 10:16am On Oct 01, 2012
We just need to ease off on giving birth to the soo many children.

Minus corruption and all that, one of our problems is the age demographic of Nigeria puts youths and children @ more than 70% in population. Would love to see what other country has similar figures and compare that to their unemployment rates.

1 Like

Re: What's The Current Unemployment Rate In Nigeria? by lordspiritual(m): 10:22am On Oct 01, 2012
earthgreeners:

good for you........ u wasted ur time studying...u shlda attended a computer school
i wasted my time,because i am not waiting to get a job i am hoping jonathan would give to me?
Re: What's The Current Unemployment Rate In Nigeria? by ACM10: 10:23am On Oct 01, 2012
D sage: Though it's difficult to ascertain the rate of unemployment in this country, but in my own view it won't up to 20% of entire graduates that secured a suitable jobs each year.

Something must be definitely wrong with your brain for boldly declaring that it wont be up to 20%. Unemployment in Nigeria far exceeds 20% figure. The problem is that the economic indicators in Nigeria are unreliable because of faulty data gathering. If you include the underemployment figure, it may approach or exceed 70%. The minimum salary for federal workers in Nigeria is N18,000, but preponderance of Nigerians in the private sector earns less than N15,00 per month. So there is a very high rate of unemployment in Nigeria which goes unreported

1 Like

Re: What's The Current Unemployment Rate In Nigeria? by saleeh: 10:23am On Oct 01, 2012
Emylexray: Tell those graduates to stop combing here and there for jobs. If there are no lucrative offers of employment, they should establish themselves by starting something. Unemployment is a pest that has and still eating deep into the fabric of Nigeria. Let them start something rather than continue waiting for jobs that not readily available. God bless Nigeria!
ibi like say ground level well well for you that is why you dey yan like that
Re: What's The Current Unemployment Rate In Nigeria? by Slyp: 10:24am On Oct 01, 2012
Emylexray: Tell those graduates to stop combing here and there for jobs. If there are no lucrative offers of employment, they should establish themselves by starting something. Unemployment is a pest that has and still eating deep into the fabric of Nigeria. Let them start something rather than continue waiting for jobs that not readily available. God bless Nigeria!

Somethin like wot and where do you expect them to raise the capital, to steal or wot? It is people like you dat celebrate criminals who always claim to have started small
Re: What's The Current Unemployment Rate In Nigeria? by mikuz(m): 10:25am On Oct 01, 2012
earthgreeners:

He said in Nigeria and not South Africa
Our unemployment rate is actually not above 30%.
Re: What's The Current Unemployment Rate In Nigeria? by onatisi(m): 10:26am On Oct 01, 2012
fankasibe: I'm in my final-year in d university, and i'm scared of graduating coz of unemployment....abeg help me.
my guy dont be scared ,my advice to u is this learn a trade ,i mean a technical skilled profession like steel bending,bricklaying,tailoring,tiling,plumbing,this may sound stupid or dumb but that is the naked truth with any of these skills u will survive and excel anywhere.i am talking from personal experience .the unemployment rate in naija will continue to grow until ppl realise that what give employment easily is what u can do with ur bare hand.i am a graduate of building tech when i left naaija i got to realise that employers there have enough theories but they are short of practical hands that was when i went back to do an apprentice with a steel bender and now i collect my own contracts,dont rely on ur good english alone orcertificate get practical training in technical feild.there is a nigerian graduate of agric economics ,she is a lady when she got to canada her cert was rubbshied now she is a capenter and she employs at least a 5 white carpenters ,she constructs houses and sell,she had abandon her cert and learn a techical job,she was interviewed some years back her name is bukolai cant remeber the last.so dont join the bandwagon of ppl saying once u have a degree that is all even in nigeria ppl are sesperately looking for skilled professional,would u believe it if i told u that welders are needed in australia?the unemployment issue is general there is no job anywhere but once u are skilled and u are educated the sky is all urs

3 Likes

Re: What's The Current Unemployment Rate In Nigeria? by Rooneyboy(m): 10:31am On Oct 01, 2012
mikuz: It's 24%

Oh boi u are lost, definitely u aren't abreast with the happenings n nigeria.
ADVICE : always keep mute when u aren't too sure of something rather than displaying ur ignorance.
Re: What's The Current Unemployment Rate In Nigeria? by mikuz(m): 10:32am On Oct 01, 2012
earthgreeners:

from my calculation, itz 66.7 percent
It's not 66%.
Unemployment rate means : the percent of the labour force that is without jobs. Or in Substantial underemployment.
Re: What's The Current Unemployment Rate In Nigeria? by Rooneyboy(m): 10:34am On Oct 01, 2012
onatisi:
my guy dont be scared ,my dvice to u is this learn a trade ,i mean a technical skilled profession like steel bending,bricklaying,tailoring,tiling,plumbing,this my sound stupid or dumb but that is the naked truth with any of these skills u will survive and excel anywhere.i am talking from personal experience .the unemployment rate in naija will continue to grow until ppl realise that what give employment easily is what u can do with ur bare hand.i am a graduate of building tech when i left naaija i got to realise that employers there have enough theories but they are short of practical hands that was whn i went back to do an apprentice with a steel bender and now i collect my own contracts,dont rely on ur good english alone get practical training in technical feild.there is a nigerian graduate of agric economics ,she is a lady when she got to canada her cert was rubbshied now she is a capenter and she employs at least a 5 white carpenter ,she constructs houses and sell,she had abandon her cert and learn a techical job
[b]
onatisi:
my guy dont be scared ,my dvice to u is this learn a trade ,i mean a technical skilled profession like steel bending,bricklaying,tailoring,tiling,plumbing,this my sound stupid or dumb but that is the naked truth with any of these skills u will survive and excel anywhere.i am talking from personal experience .the unemployment rate in naija will continue to grow until ppl realise that what give employment easily is what u can do with ur bare hand.i am a graduate of building tech when i left naaija i got to realise that employers there have enough theories but they are short of practical hands that was whn i went back to do an apprentice with a steel bender and now i collect my own contracts,dont rely on ur good english alone get practical training in technical feild.there is a nigerian graduate of agric economics ,she is a lady when she got to canada her cert was rubbshied now she is a capenter and she employs at least a 5 white carpenter ,she constructs houses and sell,she had abandon her cert and learn a techical job
[/b]
onatisi:
B4 ----- wetin she one be
Re: What's The Current Unemployment Rate In Nigeria? by Emylexray(m): 10:35am On Oct 01, 2012
norseman2: . U̶̲̥̅̊ aRe a very Big fool, ĦσƜ ώɪ̣̝̇ι̥ι a fresh graduate strt somthing witout capital, wen banks gives loans only Τ̅☺ †ђξ odetolas,dangotes alone, idiot. Mayb U̶̲̥̅̊ ​A̶̲̥̅̊я̲̅ε̲̣̣̣̥ among †ђξ 49 laptop slowpoke
i think you are the fool here for reading my comment out of context, i said while they wait to be employed, not necessarily something big. Something like vocational skill instead of being idle.
Re: What's The Current Unemployment Rate In Nigeria? by Slyp: 10:37am On Oct 01, 2012
fankasibe: I'm in my final-year in d university, and i'm scared of graduating coz of unemployment....abeg help me.

same it was to me wen I was in my final year. But today God is making ways for me, it is only grace of God that can see a Nigeria youth through life just keep looking up to God and continue to make any personal effort you can GOD IS wit u

1 Like

Re: What's The Current Unemployment Rate In Nigeria? by benzion72(m): 10:38am On Oct 01, 2012
The true meaning of independence is not depending on nobody either government, parent, friends and what have you. It is depending on yourself and your God. There are no nation where government employ everybody.
Great nation are built by great people not great government. Being a graduate is not a license to get job, it only means you have being enlightened enough and you can hold yourself in the world. If that is not so you need to re enlighten yourself by reading more and acquire more skill and not paper certificates. That does not what its face value.

People talking about capital are so naïve. You don't start with capital you start with a workable plan and idea that is marketable. For your information every company producing want to sell their products if you have a market for their products they will be willing to give you to sell and you pay them and keep the profit. How much capital does Mark Zuckeberg has to start facebook, how much capital does Henry Ford has to start Ford motor company.

I don't believe in the present educational set up. I would have pull my children away from it and school them my own way. The best education is the one that recognize peoples talents and build on it. Not A for apple for 20yrs at the end you are certificated to roam the street looking for job. Schools are set up to teach dead men theory like so many relevant and irrelevant laws are poured into student head and the most funny part is that useless lecturer will still be failing student for failing dead men theory. I think a word is enough for the wise

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Current Unemployment Rate In Nigeria? by Rooneyboy(m): 10:40am On Oct 01, 2012
mikuz:
Our unemployment rate is actually not above 30%.
I want to believe u actually meant 'not below'.
Or are u one of those lost in faraway europe that just reads about naija on the internet/listen to what jonathan and his bois cook up for the international world .
Re: What's The Current Unemployment Rate In Nigeria? by mikuz(m): 10:44am On Oct 01, 2012
Rooneyboy:

Oh boi u are lost, definitely u aren't abreast with the happenings n nigeria.
ADVICE : always keep mute when u aren't too sure of something rather than displaying ur ignorance.
You're the one actually displaying ignorance, cos you seem not to understand what unemployment rate means.
Now click on this link : http://finance.yahoo.com/news/countries-with-the-highest-unemployment-rates.html

You're the one who's really lost.
Re: What's The Current Unemployment Rate In Nigeria? by monosetale: 10:48am On Oct 01, 2012
earthgreeners:

why did he waste up to 16 years pursuing a degree....abeg talk another thing
U̶̲̥̅̊'re asking ♍e shebi U̶̲̥̅̊ haven't seen agric graduates working in banks? U̶̲̥̅̊ think Iτ̅ matters what U̶̲̥̅̊ have as a certificate in nigeria, till one searches for job 10 futile years.believe ♍e if he had followed through W̶̲̥̅̊i̶̲̅Τ̲̅ђ the high end barbing saloon who knows he might have employed some more people-thereby helping to relief the situation in naija. Cheers.
Re: What's The Current Unemployment Rate In Nigeria? by bayulll01(m): 10:48am On Oct 01, 2012
u pple are very funny,even in distribution of labour there is skilld labour,semi-skilled,and unskilld labour,graduate who are suppose to be skilld now going for unkilld job,i weep for our 9ja,pls what the Bleep is wrong with our leaders!!ur cluesles president just confirmed that he has provide 5millin job for una,enjoy the fresh air
Re: What's The Current Unemployment Rate In Nigeria? by ACM10: 10:51am On Oct 01, 2012
monosetale: Its probably like 60%- the problem is mainly us the youths, they don't want to do "dirty" jobs- like a guy we served(NYSC) together last year. He was a very skilled barber. And I advised him to set up a high end barbing saloon in lagos or ibadan where he stays after service W̶̲̥̅̊i̶̲̅Τ̲̅ђ about 150k he had gathered from INEC/allowi payments since his family was poor, pointing to him the fact that being §ø Ǧ☺☺ϑ at barbing clients could easily pay him say 300-400 naira W̶̲̥̅̊i̶̲̅Τ̲̅ђ him making thousands daily. He said he's heard and we parted ways after service only for him to send ♍e messages to help him to find work and crap.

This is the problem with some of our graduates. They say that pride comes before a fall. Some of them are so lost in their superiority complex that they can't bend down to do menial jobs. But I'm amazed that the same folk will readily accept worse jobs when he eventually travels to Europe. I may excuse them on financial ground.
Some of them that mellowed themselves down to do those "undignified" jobs are smiling to the bank. My friend repairs phone when we were in the university. He used the money accrued from his business to train himself and his brother. He never took one naira from his parents during his stay in the university. He continued with the job during and after NYSC. His uncle secured a job for him at First Bank immediately after service with a starting salary of N80,000, but he turned down the job because he makes an excess of N180,000/month from his craft. He is presently doing well.
My other friend is a skilled barber. He packaged himself so well that customers don't bat an eyelid when he tells them to pay N400 for his service. He makes atleast N6000 per day from his job.
Nigerians should learn to use their brain and think of what they can do. They should not always wait on the government to provide job from them. They should explore their God given talents. They should be enterprising. I applaud some Igbos for excelling in this area. Nigerians should copy from them. Government job is to create an enabling environment for jobs creation. Government don't provide jobs.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Current Unemployment Rate In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:53am On Oct 01, 2012
onatisi:
my guy dont be scared ,my advice to u is this learn a trade ,i mean a technical skilled profession like steel bending,bricklaying,tailoring,tiling,plumbing,this may sound stupid or dumb but that is the naked truth with any of these skills u will survive and excel anywhere.i am talking from personal experience .the unemployment rate in naija will continue to grow until ppl realise that what givew employment easily is what u can do with ur bare hand.i am a graduate of building tech when i left naaija i got to realise that employers there have enough theories but they are short of practical hands that was when i went back to do an apprentice with a steel bender and now i collect my own contracts,dont rely on ur good english alone orcertificate get practical training in technical feild.there is a nigerian graduate of agric economics ,she is a lady when she got to canada her cert was rubbshied now she is a capenter and she employs at least a 5 white carpenters ,she constructs houses and sell,she had abandon her cert and learn a techical job,she was interviewed some years back her name is bukolai cant remeber the last.so dont join the bandwagon of ppl saying once u have a degree that is all even in nigeria ppl are sesperately looking for skilled professional,would u believe it if i told u that welders are needed in australia?the unemployment issue is general there is no job anywhere but once u are skilled and u are educated the sky is all urs

Guy u nor try o. So after all the book him done read, make him come dey do mechanic and vulcanizer work abi grin Choi! See shot
Re: What's The Current Unemployment Rate In Nigeria? by mikuz(m): 10:54am On Oct 01, 2012
bayulll01: u pple are very funny,even in distribution of labour there is skilld labour,semi-skilled,and unskilld labour,graduate who are suppose to be skilld now going for unkilld job,i weep for our 9ja,pls what the Bleep is wrong with our leaders!!ur cluesles president just confirmed that he has provide 5millin job for una,enjoy the fresh air
The topic says unemployment rate and not underemployment rate.
There is a difference between unemployment and underemployment. A skilled worker who ends up with the job of a unskilled worker cannot be said to be unemployed. A graduate of mass communications who now works as a cab driver is underemployed.
Re: What's The Current Unemployment Rate In Nigeria? by Venchy: 10:59am On Oct 01, 2012

Oh boy, your comment is soooooo annoying and you me feel sick, vocational studies and setting up business my Ass.

You need to come down from your high Horse to see what an ordinary people are going through.

I'm sure you are one of those IDIOT that lives at VI OR LEKKI and the place is the airport, when your life revolve like this, plssssss tell me how you'll understand life at Yaba, Mushin or many more poor area in Lagos.

I'm not surprise at all lots of people say shitty things like this without having an idea.

My brother have his own business but the epileptic electricity caused by you and your VARGABON IN POWER since the white man left the country.

Pls take stock of all the progress made by this criminal and tell where we are since 52 yrs ago?
Re: What's The Current Unemployment Rate In Nigeria? by mikuz(m): 11:01am On Oct 01, 2012
ACM10:

This is the problem with some of our graduates. They say that pride comes before a fall. Some of them are so lost in their superiority complex that they can't bend down to do menial jobs. But I'm amazed that the same folk will readily accept worse jobs when he eventually travels to Europe. I may excuse them on financial ground.
Some of them that mellowed themselves down to do those "undignified" jobs are smiling to the bank. My friend repairs phone when we were in the university. He used the money accrued from his business to train himself and his brother. He never took one naira from his parents during his stay in the university. He continued with the job during and after NYSC. His uncle secured a job for him at First Bank immediately after service with a starting salary of N80,000, but he turned down the job because he makes an excess of N180,000/month from his craft. He is presently doing well.
My other friend is a skilled barber. He packaged himself so well that customers don't bat an eyelid when he tells them to pay N400 for his service. He makes atleast N6000 per day from his job.
Nigerians should learn to use their brain and think of what they can do. They should not always wait on the government to provide job from them. They should explore their God given talents. They should be enterprising. I applaud some Igbos for excelling in this area. Nigerians should copy from them. Government job is to create an enabling environment for jobs creation. Government don't provide jobs.
Well said !
Re: What's The Current Unemployment Rate In Nigeria? by Cyberknight: 11:01am On Oct 01, 2012
benzion72: The true meaning of independence is not depending on nobody either government, parent, friends and what have you. It is depending on yourself and your God. There are no nation where government employ everybody.
Great nation are built by great people not great government. Being a graduate is not a license to get job, it only means you have being enlightened enough and you can hold yourself in the world. If that is not so you need to re enlighten yourself by reading more and acquire more skill and not paper certificates. That does not what its face value.

People talking about capital are so naïve. You don't start with capital you start with a workable plan and idea that is marketable. For your information every company producing want to sell their products if you have a market for their products they will be willing to give you to sell and you pay them and keep the profit. How much capital does Mark Zuckeberg has to start facebook, how much capital does Henry Ford has to start Ford motor company.

I don't believe in the present educational set up. I would have pull my children away from it and school them my own way. The best education is the one that recognize peoples talents and build on it. Not A for apple for 20yrs at the end you are certificated to roam the street looking for job. Schools are set up to teach dead men theory like so many relevant and irrelevant laws are poured into student head and the most funny part is that useless lecturer will still be failing student for failing dead men theory. I think a word is enough for the wise

Some very unwise statements and some sensible ones. First of all you need to distinguish between selling ideas and selling products, and also to get your facts straight. Henry Ford sourced capital from various investors to set up Ford Motor Company, even though it was in the form of equity, not loans (i.e. they had shares in Ford Motor Company at the outset). Secondly, when selling skills or ideas, you don't necessary need capital, which is what the founder of Facebook did. And the statement you made about countries being built by people not governments is so much rubbish. A government has to provide a suitable environment, for things to flourish. That is the function of a government, regualtion. No decent economy can be built without access to capital and credit, and provisions for allowing people to fail (and hopefully try again), i.e. bankruptcy laws. This is the great tragedy of Nigeria, the government, with all its politicans who travel abroad everyday just to waste money and fail to see how things work there, is quite simply so clueless as to what to do that in effect, in Nigeria, there is quite simply no government.

1 Like

Re: What's The Current Unemployment Rate In Nigeria? by Dsage1: 11:05am On Oct 01, 2012
ACM10:

Something must be definitely wrong with your brain for boldly declaring that it wont be up to 20%. Unemployment in Nigeria far exceeds 20% figure. The problem is that the economic indicators in Nigeria are unreliable because of faulty data gathering. If you include the underemployment figure, it may approach or exceed 70%. The minimum salary for federal workers in Nigeria is N18,000, but preponderance of Nigerians in the private sector earns less than N15,00 per month. So there is a very high rate of unemployment in Nigeria which goes unreported

I don't think you read my post well. I meant the percentage of graduates that secured a suitable jobs each year,was not up to 20% and not the other way round please.
Re: What's The Current Unemployment Rate In Nigeria? by paulcr7: 11:06am On Oct 01, 2012
According to statistics,Nigeria has approximately 45million individuals in the labour force of which only 24% are unemployed.But in the real sense i doubt it.our problem is underutilisation of factors of production especially labour.This country is so blessed that we have the 3rd highes GDP(gross domestic product)in africa,yet we are still no 15 in standard of living.I think we should channel more people into the agriculture sector.we dont have to be over dependent on oil,we should combine both for more efficiency.GOD BLESS NIGERIA,GOD BLESS THE YOUTH.One day,we will get there(our promised land)
Re: What's The Current Unemployment Rate In Nigeria? by ACM10: 11:09am On Oct 01, 2012
pDude:

Guy u nor try o. So after all the book him done read, make him come dey do mechanic and vulcanizer work abi grin Choi! See shot

You see the problem with the mentality of Nigerians. Most of the rich people I know started from a humble beginning. My uncle did an apprentice job as a roadside mechanic for 6yrs. He later studied Mechanical Engineering in IMT, Enugu. He is still a "mechanic" to this day. Rich and fulfilled in his job. No rich man has pride mentality. Only politicians, musicians, and Nollywood actors and actresses have pride mentality. Ofcourse, their wealth is never sustained. Most live above their means and goes broke when event takes a bad course. Pls change your mentality.
Re: What's The Current Unemployment Rate In Nigeria? by mrmofasa(m): 11:10am On Oct 01, 2012
No offence but knowing this figure doesn't create employment.

It only creates hopelessness and anxiety.
Re: What's The Current Unemployment Rate In Nigeria? by SimplySEA(m): 11:12am On Oct 01, 2012
earthgreeners: 78.9percent and increasing

yea increasing on d per second billing
Re: What's The Current Unemployment Rate In Nigeria? by ACM10: 11:16am On Oct 01, 2012
Venchy:

Oh boy, your comment is soooooo annoying and you me feel sick, vocational studies and setting up business my Ass.

You need to come down from your high Horse to see what an ordinary people are going through.

I'm sure you are one of those IDIOT that lives at VI OR LEKKI and the place is the airport, when your life revolve like this, plssssss tell me how you'll understand life at Yaba, Mushin or many more poor area in Lagos.

I'm not surprise at all lots of people say shitty things like this without having an idea.

My brother have his own business but the epileptic electricity caused by you and your VARGABON IN POWER since the white man left the country.

Pls take stock of all the progress made by this criminal and tell where we are since 52 yrs ago?

Thank you! You made a good point there. This is why I commented earlier that it is the job of the government to provide an enabling environment for job creation. Those "enabling environments" are:

1. Electricity

2. Water

3. Good access roads

4. Good Healthcare facilities

5. Security

6. Etc

So far, the government is failing in its responsibility. Thereby frustrating the job creation efforts of Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: What's The Current Unemployment Rate In Nigeria? by ACM10: 11:19am On Oct 01, 2012
D sage:

I don't think you read my post well. I meant the percentage of graduates that secured a suitable jobs each year,was not up to 20% and not the other way round please.

Noted cool
Pls forgive my mix-up.
Re: What's The Current Unemployment Rate In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:24am On Oct 01, 2012
this statement is very annoying. Very very annoying! Go fcck urself!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Employer Wants To Hold My NYSC DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE On Resumption. / Is Being An Introvert A Turnoff To Nigerian Employers? / 2 Job Openings At The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.