Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,618 members, 7,827,314 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:29 AM

Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. - Politics (32) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. (201838 Views)

The Bad State Of The Hospital Alamieyeseigha Died In (Photo) / See The Beautiful Daughters Of Governor Ajimobi / See The Beautiful And Gallant Nigerian Armed Forces Women...PICTURES (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (50) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 1:16pm On Nov 01, 2012
naptu2: McGregor Canal.
The McGregor Canal was dug by governor William McGregor. McGregor was a medical doctor who improved sanitary conditions in Lagos. The canal divided the island into Lagos Island and Ikoyi Island.

It was substantially filled in when the 3rd Mainland Bridge/Ring Road was being constructed in the 1970s

McGregor Canal runs from Lagos Lagoon, past Dolphin Estate, through Obalende, under Awolowo Road and empties into Five Cowrie Creek.

McGregor Canal in the 1950s
www.nairaland.com/attachments/708145_MacGregor20Canal201950_jpg7f95567a855c289ff9bcc6fa6593ba4a

McGregor Canal in 2008
www.nairaland.com/attachments/708146_MacGregor20Canal20March202008_jpgd7131c39f7187f94ce42ea6a8580bd46

McGregor Canal in 2010
www.nairaland.com/attachments/708147_MacGregor20Canal202010_jpg81e28cde5ecaaee271e8f7a5719f04b8
Jaiyzus Keerist!! What a shame. Smh
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 3:31pm On Nov 01, 2012
Lagos Yatch Club/Lagos Harbour in the 1950s
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 3:36pm On Nov 01, 2012
Lagos Harbour/Marina at sunset.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 5:03pm On Nov 01, 2012
Cocoa House, Ibadan. "First skyscraper in Africa"
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 5:07pm On Nov 01, 2012
Mapo Hall, Ibadan.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 5:34pm On Nov 01, 2012
naptu2: Cocoa House, Ibadan. "First skyscraper in Africa"
Lol. You go fear skyscraper na cheesy
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 5:51pm On Nov 01, 2012
naptu2: Cocoa House, Ibadan. "First skyscraper in Africa"
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by mrmayor(m): 9:41pm On Nov 01, 2012
@naptu2,

Sir, I'm giving you 21 Niger Delta Gbosas, I comot cap for you. Nigeria in Pictures, well done. I allowed my little niece and nephews to take a look at the pictures ( I never allow them on NL) for obvious reasons, they were captivated by them, they can't believe that Nigeria had cars in the 40's 50's. I'm truly impressed.

Thanks
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 9:43pm On Nov 01, 2012
mrmayor: @naptu2,

Sir, I'm giving you 21 Niger Delta Gbosas, I comot cap for you. Nigeria in Pictures, well done. I allowed my little niece and nephews to take a look at the pictures ( I never allow them on NL) for obvious reasons, they were captivated by them, they can't believe that Nigeria had cars in the 40's 50's. I'm truly impressed.

Thanks

Thank you very much sir.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 9:48pm On Nov 01, 2012
Ishilove:
Lol. You go fear skyscraper na cheesy

Thank you for reminding me to write this.

NECOM House a.k.a NET/Nitel Building

www.nairaland.com/attachments/462246_Necom_House_jpg63621e3ca83edb81acc318b30a167e1f

Net building was declared open by Brigadier Shehu Musa Yar'Adua in 1979. It housed the Nigerian External Telecommunications system. It is located at 15 Marina Street, Lagos Island (opposite State House Marina).

Net building was my favourite building. It has 32 floors with a light house tower at the top (37 floors if you include the tower). The beam from its lighthouse was visible across Ikoyi, Lagos Island, Victoria Island, Apapa and other parts of the mainland (particularly when there was a power outage).

In the 1980s, Net Building was to Lagos/Nigeria what Big Ben is to London/The UK, or what the Statue of Liberty is to New York/The US. It was probably the most significant landmark and was regularly shown on domestic and foreign news broadcasts.

The building caught fire in 1983 (a suspected arson attack). I was so depressed on that day that you would think that I had lost a relative. The fire service had no aerial ladder platforms with which to fight the fire and save victims.

President Shagari, who was on his way to the airport, stopped by to assess the situation. He was stoned by angry Nigerians.

A pregnant woman jumped from the building and died.

I didn't see the beam from the lighthouse again until the early 2000s, although the red beacon light came back on in the mid '80s.

The committee that was set up to investigate the fire recommended that the government should buy an aerial ladder platform (snorkel) for the fire service. A snorkel was bought a few years later and kept at the Campbell Street Headquarters of the Federal Fire Service (I saw them practice nearly every day).

Net Building was rehabilitated and reopened in the late 1990s.

Cocoa House (First skyscraper in Africa)

Cocoa House is owned by the Odua Group of Companies. This 26 storey building was commissioned in 1965. It was the tallest building in tropical Africa when it was commissioned. It was built from proceeds of commodities (particularly cocoa) that were sold by the Western Region.

Cocoa House became the 2nd tallest building in Nigeria when NECOM House was commissioned in 1979. The building was significantly damaged in a fire in 1985, but was rehabilitated and reopened in 1992.

Independence Building

Independence Building is my 2nd favourite building. I was shocked when I was told that it was the tallest building in Nigeria at independence. It doesn't look so tall when compared with other tall buildings in the Marina/Central Lagos area.

Independence Building was commissioned in 1960 and is 23 storeys tall.

The building previously housed some (civil) government ministries. The Ministry of Defence took over the building sometime in the 1980s (I saw a main battle tank there!).

Independence Building also suffered a fire outbreak (I personally believe it was an arson attack). I watched the building burn. At 5 o'clock (or was it 5:30) there was a thin whif of smoke coming from the building. Any half decent fire service should have been able to put out the fire. The Federal Fire Service headquarters (Campbell Street) was just a few streets away. Within an hour the building was ablaze. I can't remember if General Abacha's office was burnt. All these occurred in 1993.

Union Bank Building

In 1987 an architect told me that his company was designing "the tallest building in Nigeria). I now believe he was talking about the Union Bank Building, which was opened in the 1990s. It is also on Marina Street and is 28 storeys tall.

Below: Cocoa House in the 1960s

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 1:32am On Nov 02, 2012
naptu2:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/462246_Necom_House_jpg63621e3ca83edb81acc318b30a167e1f

The building caught fire in 1983 (a suspected arson attack). I was so depressed on that day that you would think that I had lost a relative. The fire service had no aerial ladder platforms with which to fight the fire and save victims.

A pregnant woman jumped from the building and died.
Awww,eyah sad

naptu2:

A snorkel was bought a few years later and kept at the Campbell Street Headquarters of the Federal Fire Service (I saw them practice nearly every day).
Guy leave that one jare. Na by snorkel?

naptu2:

Independence Building also suffered a fire outbreak (I personnally believe it was an arson attack). I watched the building burn. At 5 o'clock (or was it 5:30) there was a thin whif of smoke coming from the building. Any half decent fire service should have been able to put out the fire.
Thank God you said 'half decent'. Our fire service is three quarters decent so the building didn't stand a chance grin
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 6:01am On Nov 02, 2012
National Arts Theatre, Iganmu, Lagos.

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 6:03am On Nov 02, 2012
International Conference Center, Abuja.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 6:05am On Nov 02, 2012
Civic Centre, Victoria Island, Lagos.

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 7:49am On Nov 02, 2012
Kingsway smiley cheesy grin
[img]http://1.bp..com/_bDcpR_wJ7hk/TVL8LYkfbWI/AAAAAAAAEWs/uCu7KJ2tE54/s400/Kingsway%2Bbuilding%252C%2BLagos%2BMarina%252C%2Bearly%2B70%2527s.jpg[/img]

Above: Kingsway headquarters, Marina, Lagos in the early 1970s. Below: Kingsway Ibadan at christmas (also 1970s).

I remember the train ride to see Santa Claus. I remember bugging my mum because I wanted to buy everything in sight. I remember riding up and down the escalator (although I was scared that they'll cut my legs). I remember being told to "keep quiet" or "hurry up". The lights, the sounds, the toys smiley

Kingsway was the largest department store chain in Nigeria. It was owned by UAC (the biggest non-oil company in Nigeria). Some of the stores were just mere supermarkets, while others were large department stores occupying multi-storey buildings and selling everything imaginable.

A UAC executive had the idea to put little snack bars in Kingsway stores. Soon these snack bars became stand alone fast food joints (Kingsway Rendezvous). Kingsway Rendezvous was rebranded in 1987 and MR Biggs was born.

Other large department store chains included UTC, Leventis, CFAO and Bhojsons. Most of these department stores closed down due to the economic crisis of the late 1980s and early 1990s.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 7:56am On Nov 02, 2012
Silverbird Galleria, Victoria Island, Lagos in the mid 2000s

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 8:30am On Nov 02, 2012
City Mall, Onikan, Lagos

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 8:32am On Nov 02, 2012
The Palms (mall), Lekki, Lagos.

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 8:35am On Nov 02, 2012
Century 21 Mall (Mega Plaza), Victoria Island, Lagos.

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 9:37pm On Nov 02, 2012
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 9:40pm On Nov 02, 2012
Polo Park (mall) Enugu
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 9:42pm On Nov 02, 2012
KAI (Kick Against Indiscipline)! They are basically the Lagos State environment police.

KAI enforces laws against street trading, illegal shops/kiosks, littering, blocking of drainages, trading on pedestrian bridges, pan handling, etc.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 9:55pm On Nov 02, 2012
LASTMA (Lagos State Traffic Management Agency). They are basically the Lagos State traffic police.

Lastma tow trucks.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 9:57pm On Nov 02, 2012
Aerial Ladder platforms (snorkels) procured by the Lagos State Security Trust Fund.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 10:00pm On Nov 02, 2012
LASAMBUS (Lagos Ambulance Service) officials undergoing training

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 10:03pm On Nov 02, 2012
Lagos State emergency point. Usually has 1 ambulance (LASAMBUS) & 1 police truck or armoured car (RRS). This particular point is at the foot of Five Cowry (Falomo) bridge on V/I.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 10:05pm On Nov 02, 2012
Ambulance point @ the toll gate.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Nobody: 10:10pm On Nov 02, 2012
Well done o Oga naptu. Nigeria has been through some good times sha........hope to see such and better times again sad

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 10:29pm On Nov 02, 2012
naijababe: Well done o Oga naptu. Nigeria has been through some good times sha........hope to see such and better times again sad

Thank you and amen.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 2:03am On Nov 03, 2012
Equipment procured by the Lagos State Security Trust Fund

Motorcycles procured by the Lagos State Security Trust Fund

Pickup trucks procured by the Lagos State Security Trust Fund.

Armoured Vehicles procured by the Lagos State Security Trust Fund.

Helicopter procured by the Lagos State Security Trust Fund (for aerial surveilance, fire fighting, traffic management, etc)

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 2:08am On Nov 03, 2012
A Nigerian police Saxon Armoured car.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Nobody: 2:22am On Nov 03, 2012
have I said I am impressed with Fashola?

He is one of a handful of visionary Nigerian leaders that I am truely proud of.

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (50) (Reply)

2019 Presidential Election Results Announcement By Mahmood Yakubu, INEC Chairman / List Of Buhari's 36 Ministers And Their Portfolios / Jega To Announce Presidential Election Results: Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.