Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,126 members, 7,849,501 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 10:54 PM

How Do We Solve Our Power Failure Epidemic? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Do We Solve Our Power Failure Epidemic? (815 Views)

Power Failure: I Have Never Been This Sad For The Past 6 Years / PMB: If tyranny or dictatorship will solve our problems, so be it. / Going To The West To Beg As Victims Can't Solve Our Problems - Okonji-Iweala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do We Solve Our Power Failure Epidemic? by adamugo(m): 3:59pm On Jan 18, 2008
I feel a sharp pain in my heart whenever i see generator importers in this so call great country distributing various sizes and shapes of generators to thier different client in all over the country,it always gives me the impression that we're not going to be out of this darkness till enternity after the billions of dollars baba iyabo claimed he has spent in his eight years of maladministation,fellow nairalanders what do you think is the solution to this epidemic call power failure?
Re: How Do We Solve Our Power Failure Epidemic? by uspry1(f): 6:32pm On Jan 18, 2008
Please use google under www.nairaland.com, you will find many answers from existing threads to your question.

Here I suggest you to check out at below:

I Am Tired Of NEPA
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-102388.0.html

Energy Policy: Non-existent In Nigeria?
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-93724.0.html
Re: How Do We Solve Our Power Failure Epidemic? by amsky(m): 6:37pm On Jan 18, 2008
we can slove the failure epidemic by, buying generators grin grin grin grin grin grin smiley smiley smiley smiley wink wink
Re: How Do We Solve Our Power Failure Epidemic? by vigasimple(m): 7:09pm On Jan 18, 2008
amsky:

we can slove the failure epidemic by, buying generators grin grin grin grin grin grin smiley smiley smiley smiley wink wink

I think you also speak like SEUN and maybe you sell generator as well. We are talking of serious issue here and you think the answer is generator, sorry you need more understanding.

To solve this power problem is so simple and the main thing is govt to have willpower. do they have one?, i don't think so.

Go and read everybody contribution on I AM TIRED OF NEPA,

I know exactly what we need to do and beleive me there are so many intellectual in this country and they know what to do.

Surprisingly, for whatever reason they are unable to do it. I will always hold any incumbent president responsible for lack of vision and leadership. take for instance YAR A'DULL he promised emergency on power once he got into office. in about 11 days from now he will have been 8 months in office and maybe by the time he completes his 2nd term in 8 years he may just remember to declare emergency.

I say that if takes anyone 8 months (and not yet declared) to declare emergency on power, how long will it takes them to implement the emergency or non emergency matters? I smell a rat of confusion and may be dishonesty or both on the part of our government.
Re: How Do We Solve Our Power Failure Epidemic? by Seun(m): 7:29pm On Jan 18, 2008
Go and read everybody contribution on I AM TIRED OF NEPA,
If you are truly tired of NEPA, just disconnect your meter. If you are serious about your business and your comfort, stop waiting for a miracle. Buy a generator and an inverter and continue with your life!
Re: How Do We Solve Our Power Failure Epidemic? by Backslider(m): 7:43pm On Jan 18, 2008
Nepa will still charge you for rent grin (ha ha just kidding)
Re: How Do We Solve Our Power Failure Epidemic? by Seun(m): 7:53pm On Jan 18, 2008
It is clear that these people are not serious about solving the PHCN problem.
And even if they were serious about it, the problem is bigger than they realize.
They keep talking about meeting the current demand [/b]for electricity.

What they don't realise is that:

1) The [b]demand for electricity is growing
at the same rate as our economy - fast!
2) If PHCN is able to magically satisfy the current demand for electricity by tomorrow, which is impossible, many people who are currently using generators will just switch to NEPA. Within one week, we will be right where we started. The demand for electricity is not a constant. If you make cheap electricity available at an unsustainably low price (6 naira per kilowatt), people will simply use it more. (How am I so sure? When GSM technology was launched in Nigeria, the demand was estimated at "200,000 lines"or so. Now we have millions of GSM owners, which is evidence of suppressed demand)

The only way the problem will ever be solved is to:
1) Break up NEPA/PHCN into little pieces and auction off each piece separately.
2) Allow the companies to compete with each other freely. Advertise freely. Set rates freely.

The result is that all those people who are currently importing and repairing generators will move into the more lucrative power generation business. Instead of importing small generators for individual use, they would be importing large generators for use by the freely competing electricity generating and distribution companies. They get their money, you get cheaper power without noise and stress. Everybody wins.

The price of electricity under the new system will start off about the same as the cost of running a generator, but competition will drive it down on the long run. This can only happen if entry into the business is unrestricted. If there are hundreds of competing power companies and not just 3 or 4 mega-corporations. When you have just 3 or 4 competitors, you end up with an oligopoly, which is almost as bad as a monopoly like NEPA.

Why is this not going to happen? Politics. Labour unions. Privileged government contractors. Ignorance.
Re: How Do We Solve Our Power Failure Epidemic? by Americasman(m): 11:26pm On Jan 18, 2008
What you guys do in this forum is just to talk and not not work the walk. Did NEPA beg you to get connected? I think thats food for thought.
Re: How Do We Solve Our Power Failure Epidemic? by Nobody: 11:34pm On Jan 18, 2008
@ americas man, think its time for homes to consider the solar option think its pretty neater and cost effective, but you'd lead the campaign, cos yuo seem so pained. tongue

(1) (Reply)

Duplicate thread / You All Need To Read And Hear It! / My Relationship With Fashola Unbreakable - Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.