Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,976 members, 7,952,932 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 07:40 AM

Thermostat - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Thermostat (21576 Views)

My Experience With Thermostat Removal / Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? / Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thermostat by olajay5: 5:20pm On Nov 07, 2012
cretin: you might have air in the system...also confirm if you are using coolant or ordinary water in ur radiator

The radiator has a mixture of water and coolant. However, I am not sure of the percentage mixed.

Sincerely speaking, I need you guys to help me because I am just worried about the causes and the solution to this problem

@Ikenna/Siena, still expecting the hear from you.
Re: Thermostat by ikeyman00(m): 5:40pm On Nov 07, 2012
@@@@^^^

well well well

in as much as u called out the like of our ever ready to help out for free brothers in Christ this is an open surface that not even Seun get noticed apart from the million the man is stacking up lol

u should never never underestimate a real and true soldier like me when u see one and u can always learn from each other so collectively the country will move forward; chineka

if iam in ur shoes before dey boko harem ask u to take off ur thermostat and that so u could have plenty plenty virgin i will go through the whole cooling system in the engine

right this is what i will do

check check

num1; check all the hose correct?

2; take the radiator out to give it some serious spankin correct?

3; u might not know that when u are driving in that face me and face where ur second play play lady lives that the debris picked up in front of ur condenser can add to over-heatin hence take the front off and brush off the leaves etc check check?

4; we can only hope u havent burn ur top gasket?

5; how would we know that old man inside the engine still got some teeth? hence u might have to lose ur water pump to have a look check check?

8; replace ur thermostat?

7; then fix back all to add coolant and then bled

hmmm by fire by spitting this might be resolved

2 Likes

Re: Thermostat by olajay5: 10:13am On Nov 08, 2012
@ikeyman00, thanks so much for your response. First I never underestimated anybody on this group, I only mentioned thier names because we have being exchanging messages ealier.

Back to your message, I do not understand your point No 5 "how would we know that old man inside the engine still got some teeth".

Please kindly throw more light as I planned to seat with my mechanic this weekend to check everything as advised.

Thanks once again and God bless.
Re: Thermostat by cretin: 11:50am On Nov 08, 2012
by old man inside the engine still gat some teeth.....................::: HE MEANT CHECKING THE WATER PUMP, u know a water pump has fans/vanes that push the water ..if the fans/vanes in the water pump assy are broken {no get teeth)...then the water pump is defective and wont be performing efficeintly thus leading to overheating...in developed countries...the water pumps are routinely changed out at 90k miles ireespective of if its still ok or not..............in naija.. we wait till it breaks down completely, b4 knowing/remebering to show some love to the water pump or other vehicle componenets
Re: Thermostat by willn1: 9:55am On Nov 12, 2012
Siena:

When you say the mechanical fan has been bridged to work immediately the engine's started, are you referring to the viscous fan, that's driven via a belt?
Changed the clutch(mech call it engine) for d fan and now the car goes like a 3.5ltr engine should. So the extra load from d fan was significant enough to cause dat much drop in performance. Its a good tin we learn everyday. Tanx a lot!
Re: Thermostat by Ikenna351(m): 10:27am On Nov 12, 2012
willn1:
Changed the clutch(mech call it engine) for d fan and now the car goes like a 3.5ltr engine should. So the extra load from d fan was significant enough to cause dat much drop in performance. Its a good tin we learn everyday. Tanx a lot!

Bolted/locked Viscous fan to water pump pulley would create drag and the engine wont accelerate effortlessly (sapping of engine power) , hence, loss of power and higher fuel consumption.

I have been there. In my case, the clutch failed, i welded it to the engine and noticed the drag, loss of power and increase in fuel consumption. I bought and put in a used clutch and that one too was faulty. I simply did what i have been reluctant to do or should have done long time ago: Viscous to Electric fan conversion. All the power the bolted fan had been sapping from the engine all came back. It was a good modification, after all, and more like a tune up for the engine too.

A locked Viscous fan will be a heavy load on Water pump shaft (depending on the Viscous set up). It could (not certain) make the water pump to fail sooner than it should , unless your Viscous/mechanical fan pulley is not mounted on the Water pump. But like i noted, its not a fact. Just a possibility.

Ikenna.
Re: Thermostat by beizboi: 7:32pm On Feb 25, 2013
;DThis this is really educating. My car, honda accord 94 2.0L le, has been having recurrent overheating issues especially when i use the A/C. But now that i have a better understanding of the cooling system, thanks to you all (good belle, and bad belle guys grin), i now know how to go in search of a permanent solution.
Re: Thermostat by Funjay(m): 12:59pm On Mar 12, 2013
Ikenna351:

Holy crap!

Why would someone cut off the connection to the oxygen sensor? angry These human beings called Nigerian mechanics and rewires!

85% of cars in Nigeria with overheating problems are caused by air lock, which eventually will lead to air pocket, which causes the overheating. Average Nigeria mechanic does not know that cooling system must be bled, whenever the system is opened or flushed. Air, of course will get trapped and will cause all kinds of overheating issues to the system, if not removed or bled. Instead of the mechanics to findout the cause of the overheating, they will choose the easy way out, by removing the thermostat and connecting the fans to spin constantly. Yes, it will appear as if the problem have been solved. But as soon as you get stucked in traffic jam, with heavy load like AC on, the bubbles or air in the system will deal with your engine, mercilessly.

Whatever you do, make sure you bleed the cooling system after replacing or putting back the thermostat. Otherwise, you are back to square one. Good luck.

Ikenna.

Please Bros, tell us how to bleed the system. If u have good mechanics we can visit, kindly let us know.
Re: Thermostat by get2emma: 5:36pm On Nov 24, 2014
Ikenna351:

Your car is running thirsty because the thermostat was removed. You need to get the thermostat back to the thermostat housing. Test the thermostat before you put it back, i mean the one removed. How to test the thermostat, has been treated here. Find it and read. If you can get a new one, of the same part number or degree celsius removed, better.

Thermostat or no thermostat, has nothing to do with loss of fluid in the cooling system. Thats what the clown should have dealt with, and not removing the thermostat or wondering why it hasnt been removed all the while as "Nigerian used". This thing with Nigerians and thermostat removal theory! What a mindset!

There must be a leakage, that causes the reduction or low fluid in the system. It could be a leaking radiator, worn radiator/expansion bottle cap seal, leaking hose, leaking head gasket, unclamped lines/hoses,etc. Like i said, he needs to find it. If he is not good enough, find a better clown or a true mechanic.

I believe your radiator fans are spinning constantly. Of course, for him to have thought of thermostat in the system as a bad thing, he would see a radiator fan working as factory as weird. So, he would connect them to spin constantly. Dont bother to ask me how i knew, because its what they do. It will sound weird to me if your fans still spin as factory designed. Get those fans back to how the manufacturer of that car designed it.

Also, if you want to get rid of rich running, mix water and coolant in the system 50:50.

And finally, make sure someone bleeds the cooling system, when the whole job is done. If not, the system, including the engine, will overheat like HELL! Goodluck.

Ikenna

Ikenna

My Mechanic Removed My Toyota Sienna 2000 model Thermostat. Please where can i buy another thermostat to replace the old one? Thanks for your expected speedy response.
Re: Thermostat by papadjaji: 8:30pm On Nov 24, 2014
This is really confusing.
my mech removed my thermostat (honda accord 2003). But, within 10 mins, d temperature gauge get to nearly half and it remains there. Moreso, even in hold ups and long distance, rain and shine, it never drops from that point. Is mine an exception then?

2 Likes

Re: Thermostat by papadjaji: 8:31pm On Nov 24, 2014
Funjay:

Please Bros, tell us how to bleed the system. If u have good mechanics we can visit, kindly let us know.

Open d radiator cover and allow d car to idle for like 10 mins.

2 Likes

Re: Thermostat by victor08(m): 9:36pm On Nov 24, 2014
DOn't try to remove the thermostat. It was put there by oyinbo for a reason
Re: Thermostat by kiara2014: 8:54pm On Feb 12, 2016
Hi guys,
Pls I need some insight. I use golf 4 with automatic gear box and a 2.0litre engine. The temperature guage rise above the mid point(190 degree) and the car starts to over heat as soon as I maintain a constant speed above 120kmh. Apart form this the car moves fine once I don't accelerate above 120km/h even with air condition and I can travel for hours straight. Any advice? Co's my mechanic said it's the radiator that's bad and I have to replace it?? Note that the fan is working perfectly.
Re: Thermostat by trantulla: 4:34pm On Aug 23, 2017
My golf 3 i just got reads above 100 degrees,it reads around 110 bf fan kicks in and the goes back to 100 degrees ,but i noticed ,ones i get into traffic the temperature goes higher than 110 degrees.
My mechanic advised i remove the thermostat but i refused ,instead i asked him to run the fan direct.
Do you think it ok that way ? with the thermostat still intact in the engine?
Can you advise pls
thank you

Your thermostat's working just fine. The optimum operating temperature is between 86 - 100 degrees celsius. With the gauge in the middle, it's reading approximately 90 degrees celsius, which is normal.

Do NOT allow your "mechanic" to remove the thermostat!! If he does, your engine will over-cool. So it may read close to normal when stuck in slow-moving traffic, however on the highway at constant speeds, the needle will drop to the cold zone. This is dangerous for your engine. Besides the higher than normal fuel consumption, cold oil does not provide adequate lubrication when below 80 degrees.

Cold oil will form sludge, which is a condition whereby condensation mixes with your oil, and dilutes it. Add the excessive fuel a cold engine won't burn, and you have a lethal cocktail in your oil pan. Why do you think oil pump failure is rife in Nigeria? Gear damage. Typically, an engine requires 100 psi of oil pressure for every 1,000 rpm. So at 6,000 rpm, 600 psi of oil pressure is required. If your oil pressure drops at high rpm, the first point of failure occurs furthest from the oil pump - the cylinder head. Camshaft/s will seize, and the timing belt will get torn off. If chain-driven, the effects are even worse, the chain may break, or the sprockets will shear teeth.

Worse case scenario, your crank journals and conrod bearings will get starved of oil, resulting in engine knock, in some cases the knock is severe enough to throw a rod through the engine block.

Remove your thermostat at your own peril.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Wrangler Releases Mini-Me Jeep / Top 10 Best Heavy Duty Truck Manufacturers. (photos) / Lexus Admits That It Lacks The Allure Of The German Three

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.