Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,044 members, 7,814,570 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:17 PM

Sharing Christian Conversion Lessons: "True life stories" - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Sharing Christian Conversion Lessons: "True life stories" (7923 Views)

Oshoffa Sharing His Meal With Obasanjo *throwback* / Former Imam: God Saved Me From Torture After Christian Conversion / Pilgrim's Muslim To Christian Conversion Story: Fact Or Romantic Fiction? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sharing Christian Conversion Lessons: "True life stories" by MrAnony1(m): 2:48am On Oct 25, 2012
esere826: Converations with a pastor 2

He insists, "you're a sinner". "do you know what happens to sinners?"
i smile again and tell him "but God has called me rigtheous".
"Whose report should I believe? yours or God's?" I ask
he his confused

i remember wrong stuff i was fed as a young xtian. I feel it would be useful to purge this gentleman off religiousity
"now my friend, let me teach you one or two things about xtianity" I say
"if the blood of bulls could take away the sins of the jews for a year or thereabout, how much more the blood of jesus"
he his starring at me blankly
oops I realise that he's not read that part of the bible

the end of my break is drawing near, so I stand up making ready to leave
"How long have you been born again?" I ask
"About 4 years" he says
"You're a pastor right?"
"yes" he replies amd introduces the name of the church he pastors

I clasp his hands in a firm but warm handshake "Well, I've been coverted for more than a decade now"
"i do appreciate your preaching christ out here, i can imagine how you will be scorned"
"yes o" he says lightening up and basking in my encouragement, "thanks for listening"

I smile and let him go with one last advice
"pastor, ask God for a new and more glorious gospel. The one you have now will wear you out with time. You'll say a prayer of thanks for me on this"
I let go and hop into the next bus back to work
I watch him walking back, with his head down, contemplating what I had shared with him

Oh brother where hast thou been? I have often come to this crossroad, do I burst their bubble or do I just let them continue in blissful ignorance?
Re: Sharing Christian Conversion Lessons: "True life stories" by Nobody: 6:28am On Oct 25, 2012
esere826: Converations with a pastor 2

He insists, "you're a sinner". "do you know what happens to sinners?"
i smile again and tell him "but God has called me rigtheous".
"Whose report should I believe? yours or God's?" I ask
he his confused

i remember wrong stuff i was fed as a young xtian. I feel it would be useful to purge this gentleman off religiousity
"now my friend, let me teach you one or two things about xtianity" I say
"if the blood of bulls could take away the sins of the jews for a year or thereabout, how much more the blood of jesus"
he his starring at me blankly
oops I realise that he's not read that part of the bible

the end of my break is drawing near, so I stand up making ready to leave
"How long have you been born again?" I ask
"About 4 years" he says
"You're a pastor right?"
"yes" he replies amd introduces the name of the church he pastors

I clasp his hands in a firm but warm handshake "Well, I've been coverted for more than a decade now"
"i do appreciate your preaching christ out here, i can imagine how you will be scorned"
"yes o" he says lightening up and basking in my encouragement, "thanks for listening"

I smile and let him go with one last advice
"pastor, ask God for a new and more glorious gospel. The one you have now will wear you out with time. You'll say a prayer of thanks for me on this"
I let go and hop into the next bus back to work

I watch him walking back, with his head down, contemplating what I had shared with him

Wow. Deep. Continue bro.
Re: Sharing Christian Conversion Lessons: "True life stories" by esere826: 8:40am On Oct 25, 2012
esere826:
et tu Gracious10? undecided
Gracious10:
Huh?

Literal meaning: and you?
I Meant it as: and even you join them Gracious10?

Thats what Ceaser said to Brutus, as he slid down brutus' robe after being stabbed by brutus (his protege)
*I meant it in a fun way*
wink
Re: Sharing Christian Conversion Lessons: "True life stories" by esere826: 8:43am On Oct 25, 2012
davidylan:
Wow. Deep. Continue bro.

I no go answer you angry
Re: Sharing Christian Conversion Lessons: "True life stories" by esere826: 8:53am On Oct 25, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Oh brother where hast thou been? I have often come to this crossroad, do I burst their bubble or do I just let them continue in blissful ignorance?

I knowest not, but saith unto thee. Its as the parable of the talents. Everyone shall be given their talent according to thine abilities

Yet still, if thou desire in thy heart that thine revelation be shared and accepted, then thou shall't hacken unto science just as Jesus did. For as Jesus in sharing the gospel with thousand went up the hills. That his voice might reverberate like a loudspeaker.

So thou o mighty prince also must use simple science in bursting their bubble
or if thou likest, pray that thine God revealeth the science behind bubble bursting
just like TV was a tool in the hands of thine saints in reaching out to the world. Selah

(**Kai see KJV in action**)grin
Re: Sharing Christian Conversion Lessons: "True life stories" by esere826: 1:14pm On Oct 25, 2012
back to life, back to reality

Somewhere between the ages of 6 and 8 years old
we knew there was something called being 'born again'
Interestingly as we small reach, we still dey run from am
(u see as children of adam like sin well well)

I can still remember my 7 year old 'relative' literally chasing us round the compund
saying we must born again.
No be smal run we run, with our big heads bubbling from side to side
no be small chase she chase us, with her K-legs doing a magnificent job

her testimony was that she had a near death experience
(either coma or her heart actually stopped beating... I can't remember)
she was rushed to the hospital with lots of weeping
In her half dead state, she says she saw two men dressed in suit and I think with a briefcase
they knelt by her side opened the briefcase,
took out some medication
and minstered healing (or life) into her

So here she was standing before us
saying we must be born again

our small minds no wan hear
of course, as kids, we had our own concept of sin then
(very laughable concepts in hindsight)

but we couldnt bear the thoughts of conversion angry
Re: Sharing Christian Conversion Lessons: "True life stories" by esere826: 1:35pm On Oct 25, 2012
baby escape plans

Our/my concept of the consequence of salvation meant a lot of things which we had somehow been inculcated with
the consequences of none-salvation was also clear -Hell
(kai, as I small reach, our loving Chineke for send me go hell fire cry ... shei)

Our small minds had devised a way to avoid going to hellfire while enjoying sin for as long as possible
It was simple
When we get older (after grooving), or just before we die
we repent grin

Some 'I-too-know' folks tried bursting our well laid out plans:

What if you die in childhood like Ebenezer died last week in a car accident?
*'' umh we will see the accident coming and we pray for forgiveness before it happens

ok, what if you're asleep in the car when the accident happens?
*''sad henceforth, we won't sleep during journeys

do not be deceived, God cannot be mocked. If you do have the chance to pray for forgiveness just before you die, God already knows that that was your silly plan. sucker
*'' Kai, what to do?

simple... repent ..now!!
*'' But repenting means following christ into suffering naw sad

2 Likes

Re: Sharing Christian Conversion Lessons: "True life stories" by esere826: 4:14pm On Oct 25, 2012
Naa, not my cross

Back then, the gospel was much different than what we have now

Presently, following jesus is touted as guaranteeing you:
wealth, blessings, peace of mind, Rolex watches, long life, you shall not die,
Private jets, yatchs, vacations abroad, fine familly, brand new cars etc

The only caveat in contemporary gospel is that these things are yours only if you have faith and if you are a faithfull tither grin
So in as much as people are drawn to this gospel, the antithesis is that people also run away from this gospel
so that they don't sacrifice all their money, cars and houses.

Back then, when you think of following Jesus, your familly go fit start to dey cry
It meant many things...... all negative in earthly assessment

-prepare to be killed for the gospel
-prepare to be poor like your pastor
-prepare to ride tortoise car
-prepare to dress in tattered clothes
** U see why the term S.U. evolved to be a derogatory label for untidy christians**

-in fact be prepared to do whatever God tells u to do
**and a larger percentage of the things God will tell you to do are anti-wordly**

For example, if God says you should marry a village one-eyed and ugly wife. You'd just have to do that and remain sad all your life
(Na this one I be struggle with pass as a small 7 year old pikin till maturitygrin)
Re: Sharing Christian Conversion Lessons: "True life stories" by esere826: 4:33pm On Oct 25, 2012
No escaping

You can imagine the thoughts that filled the minds of little kids from xtian homes
Where did they get all these sort of information from?
Na their church and elders

Well it made sense for me (even as a little boy)
to withold my life from jesus for as looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong as possible

When I did get born again (....earlier than I had planned for),
as I knelt down to get initiated into christ
I realised I was surrendering my all to Jesus,
and that he could do with me whatever he wanted:

He could send me off to some arab land to be slaughtered for the gospel,
he could turn me to a bell ringing pastor grin
including graciously giving me a one-eyed, ugly, village wife

**Such reasoning is probably why u see xtians lamenting on NairaLand threads
that brother Joseph says God revealed them marrying sister Mary.
While sister Mary who might have no single feeling for brother Joseph will be in torment as they consider the revelation
For example: https://www.nairaland.com/1081418/dont-love-him-he-said

grin
Re: Sharing Christian Conversion Lessons: "True life stories" by esere826: 5:40pm On Oct 25, 2012
you enjoy your calling

Many years after getting born again
my childhood toughts that if I completely yielded to God,
he could send me off to be slaugthered and
he could give me a one-eyed wowo viilage girl (sorry if this offends anyone) as a wife still haunted me

I had to confront this fear head on
I cant remember when exactly, but I soon received a new revelation on this
From meditating on the bible i saw many pointers

the one that I still remember clearly was Ezekiel 4
God told the prophet to lie on his side
on the streets of israel for about 430 days
and this, Ezekiel did

At my first glance, it seemed like a punishment (na punishment sha, no be 'seems' grin)
Then, I realised that as tough as it looks (and it was),
he could only have done it with abilities bestowed by God

in order words, Ezekiel would have enjoyed doing it , or have been given the ability to do it
although spectators would have seen him as suffering
(in fact, the thing Ezekiel didnt enjoy doing, he told God straight up. And God let him be)

Eureka!!!!!!
I do not enjoy marrying a one-eyed wowo vilage girl,
... that is to say God no give me that ability
but i actually don't mind dieing for a cause that I believe in

whew!!! more peace

**sad that I am talking like this about someones beauty. It is wrong (not a sin). Please forgive me if you feel offended. It's just that, it has always thuged at me since childhood**
Re: Sharing Christian Conversion Lessons: "True life stories" by esere826: 8:05am On Oct 26, 2012
@davidylan; Graciuos10; Mr_Anony; O.M.E

Ok naw.
Its now time for you guys to share your stories grin

No add jara or remove insightful stuff o

1 Like

Re: Sharing Christian Conversion Lessons: "True life stories" by Gracious10: 1:48pm On Oct 26, 2012
esere826: you enjoy your calling

Many years after getting born again
my childhood toughts that if I completely yielded to God,
he could send me off to be slaugthered and
he could give me a one-eyed wowo viilage girl (sorry if this offends anyone) as a wife still haunted me

I had to confront this fear head on
I cant remember when exactly, but I soon received a new revelation on this
From meditating on the bible i saw many pointers

the one that I still remember clearly was Ezekiel 4
God told the prophet to lie on his side
on the streets of israel for about 430 days
and this, Ezekiel did

At my first glance, it seemed like a punishment (na punishment sha, no be 'seems' grin)
Then, I realised that as tough as it looks (and it was),
he could only have done it with abilities bestowed by God

in order words, Ezekiel would have enjoyed doing it , or have been given the ability to do it
although spectators would have seen him as suffering
(in fact, the thing Ezekiel didnt enjoy doing, he told God straight up. And God let him be)

Eureka!!!!!!
I do not enjoy marrying a one-eyed wowo vilage girl,
... that is to say God no give me that ability
but i actually don't mind dieing for a cause that I believe in

whew!!! more peace

**sad that I am talking like this about someones beauty. It is wrong (not a sin). Please forgive me if you feel offended. It's just that, it has always thuged at me since childhood**

Hia! What happened to obedience to God? If God gave Ezekiel that ability, do u think he won't give u the ability to live with a one-eyed ugly village woman? Your write-up is really interesting. I will read through them again to satisfy my curiosity of where u really stand.
Re: Sharing Christian Conversion Lessons: "True life stories" by esere826: 4:48pm On Oct 26, 2012
Gracious10:

Hia! What happened to obedience to God? If God gave Ezekiel that ability, do u think he won't give u the ability to live with a one-eyed ugly village woman? Your write-up is really interesting. I will read through them again to satisfy my curiosity of where u really stand.

Excellent question. Excellent question

remember i talked about 'growing' a discerning spirit right?
So the question then becomes "how do u know God's desire/command towards you"?
Also remember the scripture saying that "we should test the spirit"

Remember Jesus was ministered to by satan using the scriptures (Satan even try sef, because he knew to use the scripture on the deepest God given desires of Jesus)

Obedience to God?
Firstly, what exactly is 'obedience'?

-So is it what Pastor Emeka says, that is God's command/desire towards us? are we sure that he heard from God? so God rather talks through pastor Emeka than through you abi?
-Did we personally hear directly from God? was it a clear human like voice or a pull/push inside?
-Did this 'push/pull' thing ever tell you to stay in front of a moving truck, and that by faith, the truck will not crush you etc? Did u do it?
-Have you found a 'unique' way of seperating God from things that have the 'appearance of God'

(while some are pondering these questions, something might come up from inside saying "wait a minute. Is this not how through questioning that the serpent decieved Eve?)
(yep sure. Adam and Eve should probably have questioned God personally and rigorously instead of simply trying to obey, then later falling for the stories of the serpent)

If he has called us friends, lovers, sons or daughters, do we know what this really, really, really means?
I have said NO to my earthly parents a lot of times. what they've done was to try to convince me otherwise, and me try convince them otherwise.
Somethimes we found out that we want the same thing through such arguements. The only challenge was the packaging of the information

He has given to each his talent according to their abilities. God gave me the ability to like fine classy women well well. He has given some women the ability to kiss frogs and turn them into princes. I am satisfied and content with my own talent o grin

1 Like

Re: Sharing Christian Conversion Lessons: "True life stories" by esere826: 6:00pm On Oct 26, 2012
@Gracious10
I guess that the point i am trying to make is that we must talk to God directly
No tradition, pastor, fear, nak.edness, sin, advice, "he too big we too small" etc should stop us from doing this

In fact, it is sometimes adviseable to talk to God like ones mate. Because when you start doing all those baba, egbon, creator of heaven and earth (he his already, ur saying it does not change it) we might end up in a fearful state with him and block our total experience

This i feel was the gospel that Jesus symbolised. That the 'word' (which created all) became flesh starting even from a baby whose bum had to be wiped; and dwelled with us...
I for yell emanuel!!.. but them go fit tok say i be that prophet pikin

grin

If the God who (if we are to use human language and measurements) is bigger than the entire universe could bend down (so to to speak) to create us with brains and describe us as his image. Then we must be very important enough for him to want to discuss with us

And such a mighty being must definitely have the answer to all things. abi?
Re: Sharing Christian Conversion Lessons: "True life stories" by esere826: 6:04pm On Oct 26, 2012
make una come tok una tory oooooooooo

This is not fair naw. I don tok my own, una no gree tok una own sad
Re: Sharing Christian Conversion Lessons: "True life stories" by pastormustwacc: 6:27pm On Oct 26, 2012
Omo Alata:

Well, not exactly as I think I'm just making up the words
You funny no be small. How can you possibly form the words? You meant to say you learnt and was rehearsing?
Re: Sharing Christian Conversion Lessons: "True life stories" by Gracious10: 7:25pm On Oct 26, 2012
esere826: @Gracious10
I guess that the point i am trying to make is that we must talk to God directly
No tradition, pastor, fear, nak.edness, sin, advice, "he too big we too small" etc should stop us from doing this

In fact, it is sometimes adviseable to talk to God like ones mate. Because when you start doing all those baba, egbon, creator of heaven and earth (he his already, ur saying it does not change it) we might end up in a fearful state with him and block our total experience

This i feel was the gospel that Jesus symbolised. That the 'word' (which created all) became flesh starting even from a baby whose bum had to be wiped; and dwelled with us...
I for yell emanuel!!.. but them go fit tok say i be that prophet pikin

grin

If the God who (if we are to use human language and measurements) is bigger than the entire universe could bend down (so to to speak) to create us with brains and describe us as his image. Then we must be very important enough for him to want to discuss with us

And such a mighty being must definitely have the answer to all things. abi?

Hmmmmm, I like this! BRB with my questions.* still pondering*
Re: Sharing Christian Conversion Lessons: "True life stories" by Gracious10: 7:33pm On Oct 26, 2012
esere826:

Excellent question. Excellent question

remember i talked about 'growing' a discerning spirit right?
So the question then becomes "how do u know God's desire/command towards you"?
Also remember the scripture saying that "we should test the spirit"

Remember Jesus was ministered to by satan using the scriptures (Satan even try sef, because he knew to use the scripture on the deepest God given desires of Jesus)

Obedience to God?
Firstly, what exactly is 'obedience'?

-So is it what Pastor Emeka says, that is God's command/desire towards us? are we sure that he heard from God? so God rather talks through pastor Emeka than through you abi?
-Did we personally hear directly from God? was it a clear human like voice or a pull/push inside?
-Did this 'push/pull' thing ever tell you to stay in front of a moving truck, and that by faith, the truck will not crush you etc? Did u do it?
-Have you found a 'unique' way of seperating God from things that have the 'appearance of God'

(while some are pondering these questions, something might come up from inside saying "wait a minute. Is this not how through questioning that the serpent decieved Eve?)
(yep sure. Adam and Eve should probably have questioned God personally and rigorously instead of simply trying to obey, then later falling for the stories of the serpent)

If he has called us friends, lovers, sons or daughters, do we know what this really, really, really means?
I have said NO to my earthly parents a lot of times. what they've done was to try to convince me otherwise, and me try convince them otherwise.
Somethimes we found out that we want the same thing through such arguements. The only challenge was the packaging of the information

He has given to each his talent according to their abilities. God gave me the ability to like fine classy women well well. He has given some women the ability to kiss frogs and turn them into princes. I am satisfied and content with my own talent o grin

So if God insists that u marry one eyed ugly woman with reasons, will u still still say No? Since he knows better than us? Are u not afraid of the consequences? Abi, u go disagree with reasons as well?

Elaborate on the issue of Adam and Eves disobedience. It's really interesting that u can set up a dialogue with God.
Re: Sharing Christian Conversion Lessons: "True life stories" by esere826: 8:01pm On Oct 26, 2012
Gracious10:
So if God insists that u marry one eyed ugly woman with reasons, will u still still say No? Since he knows better than us? Are u not afraid of the consequences? Abi, u go disagree with reasons as well?

Another excellent question from you
Apart from the fun part, lets look at this with more critical interest

If God tells you or I to make love to a snake, would we?
If God tells you or I to eat humans, would we?

For me, na argument I go enter with God for a long time be that. As in real argument, probably till I die. This does not mean a yes or no, neither will I feel a sense of guilt that i have not done the last thing he told me to do. We will discuss on other issues while holding off decisions on this particular one till later

If God gives reasons would we?

Now we're talking. We go discuss am well, well. And I guess in the process he will convince me well enough (come lets reason together he says). Just like he tried convincing Peter in his dreams to eat unclean things.

He knows better than us alright, are we not afraid of the consequences?

This is another good one.

Did u read about Abraham.
1) In the new testament, it is explained that Abraham knew that after killing Isaac, God will bring him back to life
2) In my own insight, Abraham had another son (ishmael) remember

In conclusion,
1) God (the Jesus revealed aspect) would not tempt you more than you can bear
2) He does not require that we fear him or any consequences (Even Moses in the old testament had a great relationship with him while the israelites where scared and perished after any small thing they do)
3) Who would give you God's command as at present?
the pastor?
abi na something u dont fully understand from the inside?,
abi na dreams?

Is it not through challenging/testing/arguing/critiquing/discussing a 'command' that you get to better understand it, and where it is from?
You see that it is therefore important you test it no know its source.

In my case, I challenged something that was sown strongly in me as a kid and grew up with me. I challenged it, and found out it has no roots in my destiny ..chikena
For some others, it might be theirs sha

Also, it is such strange obey 'commands' that people harken to that make them blow up plane full of people
Re: Sharing Christian Conversion Lessons: "True life stories" by esere826: 8:13pm On Oct 26, 2012
Gracious10:

Elaborate on the issue of Adam and Eves disobedience. It's really interesting that u can set up a dialogue with God.

This is an issue that comes within a context. Its tough to just explain like that.

The first question you could ponder on is how did Adam and Eve look when there where ushered into our world?

The movies make them look like they were in their 20's abi?

Adam lived till about 930 years. When did the count begin? Was it from his matured creation? after eating the fruit?

What if Adam was created as a baby? Uhm who go look after am abi?
did he have an umbilical chord?

grin
Re: Sharing Christian Conversion Lessons: "True life stories" by Gracious10: 8:16pm On Oct 26, 2012
esere826: make una come tok una tory oooooooooo

This is not fair naw. I don tok my own, una no gree tok una own sad

Here goes mine. ( not a good writer)

Being born into a Christian home, everything was about bibles and fasting, prayers. Nothing mattered than God. Night devotions and early morning devotions, how I hated them. I wondered if this God didn't see how little I was than put all these pressures of Christianity on me.

At 11yrs, mum will send us out on evangelism and honestly, I didn't even know what was being said or to whom, I just followed, sometimes I stayed back at the sinner place and played.

Oh my mum, very very strict. Never heard her say a curse word till date. She kept reminding us of how Hell fire was real and terrible. Everyday she preached of Jesus coming, a terrible war that will follow and most importantly, the mark of "666". That part always got me scared.

A day came and they showed the movie "burning hell" I think I cried throughout the movie. Had the worst nightmare that night as I dreamt of myself going to Hell, it was terrible. Then I was 16. I had cried and shouted that everyone woke up at the sound of my cries. I woke up and saw my parents, told them my dream, and mum asked, do u want Jesus?.oh I gladly accepted him.( who wan go Hell cheesy)That same evening I went evangelising without prior push from mum.

I was on fire! Everyone must repent, started leading a little group of youth, the thing even entered deliverance and yes I didn't even know what I was doing. But whatever it was,was so fiery. what I saw couldn't leave my memory. Oh we have had lots of young evangelists say 12-17yrs old visit my church then Before now, I didn't even care about them but when I caught this fire abi fever, they identified with me. Who says a man's fire doesn't make ways for him? cheesy, Now I don't know if I was doing this cos I was scared or cos I really got "born-again". It wasn't too Long before that question was answered. The fire went down! I was free, free from the thought and fever of Hell.

My little group went astray, I really didn't care. I preferred to stay in school than hear my mum call me a backsliden giant.
Then I joined SU, not that I was interested in that they said, I just liked their programs where people were being delivered or prophecies were given. It was such an enjoyable free movie to watch. I never missed their services as I found them interesting.

Back home, I was being pressured in having an immersion baptism. It was huge war. I didn't even understand what i was being baptized for. Well I did go for the baptism but thank God I came out alive, cos the yeye water carry me dey go and the pastor baptizing me was so skinny, couldn't even swim nor hold me. It wasn't a nice experience as I drank enough water for 1yr. Dad never bothered me over baptism again.

Will continue my SU experience when I come back.
Re: Sharing Christian Conversion Lessons: "True life stories" by esere826: 8:59pm On Oct 26, 2012
a big clap offering for Gracious10 for sharing. Halelu..... Halelujah
grin
Re: Sharing Christian Conversion Lessons: "True life stories" by esere826: 9:12pm On Oct 26, 2012
Gracious10:

Back home, I was being pressured in having an immersion baptism. It was huge war. I didn't even understand what i was being baptized for. Well I did go for the baptism but thank God I came out alive, cos the yeye water carry me dey go and the pastor baptizing me was so skinny, couldn't even swim nor hold me. It wasn't a nice experience as I drank enough water for 1yr. Dad never bothered me over baptism again.

Had same pressure for baptism from my mum. As far as my mum was concerened, she needed to do her bit so that if me an am stand before God during judgement I no go tok say my mama no lead me to baptism angry

Also, my water baptism was quite interesting

As my tall lanky teenage frame towered accross the pastor
threatening to tip over and drown him
He looked at me befuddled, stepped back to a safe distance
and screamed "Jump"

I was equally confused and looked around
what next I thought?
He jumped or stretched and pushed me from the back of my head
and I splashed into the water face forward
I hurriedly gasped for my breadth and escaped from the water

We all looked at ourselves, mum, dad, pastors co-baptizees
This was not baptism as we knew it.
You were supposed to be laid to rest backwards
and raised back upwards from the water

The pastor shrugged, and smiled to cover his embarrasment
"Neeeeeeeeeeext" he screamed
Re: Sharing Christian Conversion Lessons: "True life stories" by Gracious10: 9:12pm On Oct 26, 2012
Wait a minute! R u implying that Abraham had a "plan B" before he obeyed God? Knowing he had ishmael. Whatever happened to the faith?
Re: Sharing Christian Conversion Lessons: "True life stories" by Gracious10: 9:46pm On Oct 26, 2012
esere826:

Had same pressure for baptism from my mum. As far as my mum was concerened, she needed to do her bit so that if me an am stand before God during judgement I no go tok say my mama no lead me to baptism angry

Also, my water baptism was quite interesting

As my tall lanky teenage frame towered accross the pastor
threatening to tip over and drown him
He looked at me befuddled, stepped back to a safe distanceo
and screamed "Jump"

I was equally confused and looked around
what next I thought?
He jumped or stretched and pushed me from the back of my head
and I splashed into the water face forward
I hurriedly gasped for my breadth and escaped from the water

We all looked at ourselves, mum, dad, pastors co-baptizees
This was not baptism as we knew it.
You were supposed to be laid to rest backwards
and raised back upwards from the water

The pastor shrugged, and smiled to cover his embarrasment
"Neeeeeeeeeeext" he screamed

Rotflmao* yours was more hilarious than mine. All thee pre-xtians.
Re: Sharing Christian Conversion Lessons: "True life stories" by esere826: 9:47pm On Oct 26, 2012
Gracious10: Wait a minute! R u implying that Abraham had a "plan B" before he obeyed God? Knowing he had ishmael. Whatever happened to the faith?

What is faith? Everyone has her understanding of faith

My own struggle in understanding this concept brought me into different realizations
1) Faith was described by jesus using a mustard seed
My own understanding was that this means it grows, but contains elements for a specific purpose

2)Abraham was described as the father of faith
My own understanding was that he was first called out from his land and people
What did he do?
He did go,
But he first took his dad and nephew along with him
He then dropped his dad
later he dropped his nephew

He was to have a son of promise. What did he do?
he had a son called Ishmael, while still making love to his wife untill they were advanced in age and she bore Isaac
Even after the death of Sarah, he took a wife Keturah who bore him 6 sons

In all of these he was called a friend of God. This to me is the most important information. It makes me see faith not as a rigid structure to be aspired to, but as a fruit of a direct relationship/friendship with God

1 Like

Re: Sharing Christian Conversion Lessons: "True life stories" by esere826: 11:37pm On Oct 26, 2012
aba Graciuos10. where's the rest part of your interesting story naw?

your baptism story is particularly funny
Re: Sharing Christian Conversion Lessons: "True life stories" by Gracious10: 2:08am On Oct 27, 2012
esere826: aba Graciuos10. where's the rest part of your interesting story naw?

your baptism story is particularly funny

LOL, got to make some money. Well am back now.
SU continued.

SU experience was interesting. The message of repentance rang through the entire lecture hall every service day. I observed that most followers wanted to be among Christians or wanted a kind of protection. The title of born again was for the pure and clean although I knew most of them weren't. If u r identified as not being part any religious group, u are a sinner. Then it was SU, SCM and the catholic charismatic.

For some reason, I was seeking for something although I joked about it. As I continued to attend meetings, I observed that within the group of SUs, there was another group of groups. The most sanctified I guess and there was an obvious separation. Again at one of the meetings, I gave my life again to Christ but this time, I felt a turmoil. I had questions I needed answers to but these young people were not knowledgeable to answer such questions.

I followed the crowd, joined the prayer group. Then my encounter with the man who always appeared during my prayers, explained this to the SU president. She confirmed it was the lord who appeared to me. Hmmmm, the lord in suit?

Shouldn't he be wearing a white robe? cheesy Didn't continue with my quest so kept it to myself. Was I seeing a vision or was that an imagination of my thought.
My main issue was that I wanted to see this JESUS one on one, I wanted to see him to Belive.
At one of the prayer meetings, I observed a sister would prophesy, step out side for a while, return and prophesy again. This she did 3times and the 3rd time, I sneaked out to see who was her giving her infos, well didn't see a thing than someone staring into space. Prayer meeting ended with people rolling on the floor, crying, speaking in tongues, some even claimed the holyspirit flogged them and had marks to show for it.

Hmmmmm flogging Ke? Was this a religion of punishments or joy? I sought the leader for answers and she claimed it was for correction. But what happened to the bible and the preachers? At this point, my bible was just for decoration, didn't even read it except for memory verses forced into my brain by my mum! There was something about studying this bible that got me so weak, couldn't stand reading it without drooling on it.

I had my doubt from Genesis to Revelation. who wrote these books? But I loved the book of songs of Solomon, I read it like my numerous novels. The guy was just too much grin . Then I thought, how could God allow such filth in his book? Oh well, mum explained it as God describing his love for us. Never really got around that till date.

After being in the bondage of covering up, I got a perm at 20,was tired of that virgin hair. Had my ears pierced. Mum went crazy, whatever u put on ur hair is from marine world, weave, earring,lipstick etc are from marine world as well. Told her that God has set me free from bondage, why should I continue to dress like a clown? Hehehehe.. my mama no gree as she even dragged me to involuntarily deliverance cos I had a perm, the pastor so pushed me that I almost had a stiff neck, I had to politely tell him he was actually inflicting injury on me cos me I no go fall down! It didnt go down well with him but he let me go. Am free again, ran back to school to continue the work of God. grin

I stayed with SU but haven't been able to tell anyone of this JESUS, I didn't even know if I was born again. Joined different groups yet I still felt empty. Wasn't worried of sin cos I was still self righteous. But I could "Kabbash" as in pray for hours.

Oh that preacher came with the message of being filled with the spirit.
"And Ye shall receive power when the holyghost comes upon you" Power Ke? People always roll on the floor whenever u hear "Holyspirit move" many kept falling and standing, I wondered if there wasn't a limit to the number of times you get to land on the floor. These things didn't interest me since I saw them as acrobatic display. Then came the tongue speakers, I was very sure I understood what one of them said. She was speaking my dialect!! Tongues wasn't meant to be understood. I went closer, she was speaking my dialect, then the preacher spotted me being curious, asked if I spoke in tongues, I said no! He asked me to focus on Jesus, I haven't seen this Jesus, what's the kind of picture I should have in my head? Well I kept saying Jesus repeatedly yet the tongues didn't come. I was sent back on the grounds that I wasn't ready. Disappointed, I went back to my oche..

Then my younger sis came home with this authentic tongues, I know she never liked this churchy thing. She wasn't just speaking in tongues but those authentic big big ones. kai! I was jealous so I asked her and she told me she learnt it. Hmmmmm, sorry, I don't want to grieve the holyspirit so I declined her offer to coach me, atleast SU taught me it was a gift from the holyspirit and consequences of not receiving it from him.

I went into fasting just to receive this gift, after that I decided to try the SCM during their revival meeting. I felt this wave/weakness pass thru me, I become emotional, didn't even know why I cried, oh no! I don't want to hit the floor, not here, not before this crowd. I was fighting whatever it is that was fighting me. The floor was giving way, something was overpowering me but not without a fight, didn't see anything. Suddenly there was calm. Opened my eyes to see I was on the floor! Haba! Me? I was so ashamed and walked outta the meeting. Never went there again.
That was the end of that churchy thing. I stayed away. Didn't like what happened to me at that meeting. The quest for more ended there.

To be continued.

2 Likes

Re: Sharing Christian Conversion Lessons: "True life stories" by esere826: 8:19am On Oct 27, 2012
@Glorious10

From your story and mine, we can see that angelic beings are now changing their dress sense. Suits!!

Uhmmmm ..interesting smiley

But they should stop behaving like oyibo sha.
They need to wear agbada. Afterall, these look more like robes grin
Re: Sharing Christian Conversion Lessons: "True life stories" by naenaesosa: 12:15pm On Oct 27, 2012
Gracious10: More before I start sharing mine.

Wow,this is the most interesting thread by far..esere I would love to talk to u one on one,your views are interesting..If people understood xtianity better more pple will be saved..I am a born again xtian and I like good stuffs,I like cars,I like powerbiking,I love photography,I love when life is dynamic n progressive.

I grew up in a xtian family but my parents weren't too serious about it,I remember sundays staying at hme with mom and sistas watching indian movies and eating good food but she was a discliplinarian nontheless.I remember going to church and hearing the sermon about hell and being pricked in my heart,I got born again a couple of time but it didn't last very long.
Re: Sharing Christian Conversion Lessons: "True life stories" by esere826: 12:15pm On Oct 27, 2012
Jesus superstar in 3D

While waiting for updates from madam, I thought to share an experience

In my wilderness days while searching the scriptures
I happened upon a particular passage in the new testament which I tried to unravel
(I cant remember the particular chapter or story)

In attempting this feat
I soon saw something glaringly missing in the bible
(or so I think)

The stories around Jesus seemed to convey a straight-faced man
one who was given only to shooting from the hips
no much smiles
with a halo on his head as he moved slowly
**Think Jesus movies, and you will understand what I mean**

This particular passage that I stumbled into (I cant remember where) in the bible paused me into a rethink of this strict concept of Jesus
I quickly imagined the questioner, rising up smiling and grinning like a youth in a university lecture theater
and asking Jesus, the lecturer, one or two questions
and jesus the lecturer answering back teasingly with the entire class laughing
but the message being passed accross

Woww!! Jesus was a human. And this humanity was most likely not completely captured in the bible as we know it
Somehow the writers or translator where more concerned with his 'holy' nature.

I could imagine Jesus konking the heads of one of his younger ones grin
or going to report his younger sister to their mum:
"mama, i saw angela in a dark corner with that boy from next door"

I could imagine Jesus jumping in excitement, laughing, running, joking, teasing, snoring
I could even imagine a babe eyeing him in his neighbourhood and thinking "what a waste" (maybe nas why na women cry pass wen dem one kill am)

What of if the gospel of jesus is full of such human-characteristical approaches?
but all we see is a strict 'holy', solitary man

Imagine your life being written about, some 100's of years from now, and all the fun parts being taken away

angry
That got me thinking
Re: Sharing Christian Conversion Lessons: "True life stories" by esere826: 12:18pm On Oct 27, 2012
naenae sosa:

Wow,this is the most interesting thread by far..esere I would love to talk to u one on one,your views are interesting..If people understood xtianity better more pple will be saved..I am a born again xtian and I like good stuffs,I like cars,I like powerbiking,I love photography,I love when life is dynamic n progressive.

I grew up in a xtian family but my parents weren't too serious about it,I remember sundays staying at hme with mom and sistas watching indian movies and eating good food but she was a discliplinarian nontheless.I remember going to church and hearing the sermon about hell and being pricked in my heart,I got born again a couple of time but it didn't last very long.

**rubs palms**, **brings out mat under the mangoe tree**
Oya, start ya story grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Atheists, Who Generates The Force That Rotates Planet / Don't Borrow To Celebrate Christmas, Cleric Tells Nigerians / Thinking Out Loud!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 162
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.