Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,169 members, 7,821,963 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:56 PM

Nollywood Or Igbowood? - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nollywood Or Igbowood? (17575 Views)

Which One Would You Rather Spend Hours Watching: Nollywood Or Bollywood? & Why? / Ije! Nollywood Or Hollywood ? / Nollywood Or Bollywood, Where Are The Most Beautiful Actresses ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by lucabrasi(m): 1:54am On May 05, 2008
Uche2nna:

Ehhm, luca, can You throw some light on how the Igbo marketers @ alaba (as u called it) stifles out movies from other ethnicities (your own words once again).

sorry for the "stifles out ethnicities"must have been too tired to type,meant the alaba traders stifle other ethnic groups, as for shedding light, the alaba traders capital runs the ibo movie industry,they provide the capital for making the films and also market these films ,remember being traders in electronics and what not before veering into the movie industry,they have the trading and distributing experience and networks so they do the financing and the distributing as well,they are the ones that do most of the financing and distributions for the nigerian hip hop scene as well and their money actually runs both the ibo movie industry and the nigeria hip hop industry,i can tell u for sure that obaino music has more power in the music industry in nigeria than ten kennis music as young as that guy is,they do not distribute yoruba artise or finance then which is why the yoruba movie distribution is mainly in onipanu,or lagos island i know these things cause each time im in nigeria i buy movies for watchn in like bulk.
sheniqua:

are you "minding them"
Nolly wood evolved from strictly Igbo movies so naturally the movies will have Igbo settings for the traditional scenes.
Other Africans are even crazier about the movies than us.
Go to any Togolese or Gambian haidresser,you go watch am tire while they braid your hair
nollywood did not evolve from igbo movies,it evolved from the very first ever home video in nigeria and the guys name is alade aromire he made the very first nollywood movie.
they are crazier for yoruba movies more because the yoruba culture is much more acceptable all round the world than any other in nigeria,even at that check out the english yoruba series and the acceptance like super story,family man amongst others on tv.

@d-reloaded
check out the osuofia in london,the landlord scene,and it was a typical yoruba ethnic stereotype amongst so many but i dont know their titles
same thing with most hausa stereotype as well making them mai guard
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Nobody: 2:20am On May 05, 2008
I'd rather watch Yoruba movies than the half baked goods Nollywood aka Igbowood produce every day. You would see a man that do not fit the position he's trying to portray with thick Igbotic accent trying to Americanize his way of speaking. What the hell I'd prefer they speak Igbo instead of the phoney accent that I hear. You would also see a man that has not eaten for two days acting as MD of a company not to talk of the second abi tenth hand suit he's wearing. No quality, just nonsense!!!!!!
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Dreloaded(f): 2:25am On May 05, 2008
lool stillwater, better be careful before osisi and the others take your Igbo card away tongue

lucabrasi, where is alade nowadays. i havent seen or heard anything about him in so many years
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by chiogo(f): 3:50am On May 05, 2008
First of all, Nollywood or Nigeriawood sucks as a whole and some people are here cryin' about prejudice.

Last time i checked, Regina Askia, Olu Jacobs, Joke Silva, Bimbo Akintola, Omotola Jalade, Ramsey Noah, Ini Edo, and co. are not igbos. so what's with the name-callin'??

If you ask me, I think Nigerian(that's d key word here) movies suck! I don't think it's that way because it's dominated by the igbos because those people i mentioned above are not igbos and they're considered 'stars', aren't they?? So, all y'all cryin' about tribalism need to chill out because tribalism or no tribalism, Nigerian movies, in general totally suck!

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by romeo(m): 8:50am On May 05, 2008
stillwater:

I'd rather watch Yoruba movies than the half baked goods Nollywood aka Igbowood produce every day. You would see a man that do not fit the position he's trying to portray with thick Igbotic accent trying to Americanize his way of speaking. What the hell I'd prefer they speak Igbo instead of the phoney accent that I hear. You would also see a man that has not eaten for two days acting as MD of a company not to talk of the second abi tenth hand suit he's wearing. No quality, just nonsense!!!!!!

Better continue with your Yorubawood LoL and leave our nollywood alone! people can not be dumber than this!!
I've never watched those local Yoruba dramas and i have no intention of doing it nor am i complaining

I am no fan of Nollywood but i know with time they will get better and i can not tell you the name of 10 nollywood stars

@luca
I know there are lots of Yoruba multi millionaires that can make Yorubawood bigger than Hollywood cheesy, let them go ahead and do it instead of whining like pussycats here

I know jealousy will not let you people see beyond your miserable noses!! Nollywood started with this igbo film called "Living in bondage"
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by lucabrasi(m): 11:48am On May 05, 2008
@romeo
of course there are yoruba multi millionaires,hausa multi millionaires but because the alaba chairmen have been at it the longest,they know their way round.
also almost all the alaba marketers were formerly selling spare parts and the like in alaba market before the advent of nollywood,so they have the shops,they have the distribution network,customers and alaba market is known already,so they just branched out into the industry and was running things easily,it ll be difficult for anybody be it yoruba ,hausa or whoever to try and break into the alaba connection because as u know our ibo brothers are always united and u cant break that link if u like be bill gates,thats why the onli avenues open to mostly yoruba movies are the places they were formerly selling clothes and whatnot like ebinpejo lane,lagos island generally, we are saying everybody has a lot to contribute,check out these yoruba movies and ibo movies and see the content, a typical yoruba movie is shot for less than 1 million naira and an ibo movie is shot for nothn less than 3/4million or more yet theres no visible diffrence apart from the cars,the ibos have the marketing network,finance,and the yorubas and to a lesser extent the hausas have the culture,the material,technical knowhow
check out hollywood,its public knowledge that the jews own the money behind hollywood,yet how many of them dyu see acting in movies or being directors??
go check it out,alade aromire made the very first home video movie in nigeria,living in bondage came out later in fact the producer of living in bondage(forgotten his name)participated in sum yoruba movies before living in bondage
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by lucabrasi(m): 12:03pm On May 05, 2008
@d-reloaded
i read an interview he granted like some months ago and he said he s kinda chilling out from the whole nollywood thing,but he is setting up a multi channel on nigerian airwabes that ll be showing movies and other programmes,i think its going to be something big,and he is more into the technical bit as well,u know sort of the cameras,editing cause thats what he studied abroad.
chiogo:

First of all, Nollywood or Nigeriawood sucks as a whole and some people are here cryin' about prejudice.

Last time i checked, Regina Askia, Olu Jacobs, Joke Silva, Bimbo Akintola, Omotola Jalade, Ramsey Noah, Ini Edo, and co. are not igbos. so what's with the name-callin'??

If you ask me, I think Nigerian(that's d key word here) movies suck! I don't think it's that way because it's dominated by the igbos because those people i mentioned above are not igbos and they're considered 'stars', aren't they?? So, all y'all cryin' about tribalism need to chill out because tribalism or no tribalism, Nigerian movies, in general totally suck!

all these artises started out in the ibo movie scene and thats where they made their name,the fact that a couple of them made a name there doesnt mean its fair,we have a couple of nigerian names in hollywood and british film industry,doesnt mean they r fair,
thats why we r saying nigerian movies suck because they have been taken over by people who are traders and stiffled the real professionals who went to theatre school both in nigeria and abroad,do you know how long the yorubas have been involved in movie making?go check out ogunde and his production,he was making a film with hollywood called"mr johnson"before his death and the collapse of the whole project,its not tribalism ,its the truth, who in your opinion is the greatest ibo artise and ill give u names of yoruba artise that have been in the industry at least 15 years before him/her
most of these artise even amaka igwe(that big woman who is also a producer)she is ibo and she said it herself that the industry was taken over by alaba money bags who are not professionals,force them to use their families even though they have no experience of film making and most professionals have been frustrated out of the industry,most of them learn as they go,what theatre arts school did the likes of jim iyke,rita dominic,genevieve,even omotola e.t.c attend? tell them to act life on stage and thats where they ll fail woefully,u think they r brill artise because u v not seen them take their lines like 10 times before gettn it and using the fake american phonetics to cover up
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by romeo(m): 12:35pm On May 05, 2008
lucabrasi:
.all these artises started out in the ibo movie scene and thats where they made their name,the fact that a couple of them made a name there doesnt mean its fair,we have a couple of nigerian names in hollywood and british film industry,doesnt mean they r fair,
thats why we r saying nigerian movies suck because they have been taken over by people who are traders and stiffled the real professionals who went to theatre school both in nigeria and abroad,do you know how long the yorubas have been involved in movie making?go check out ogunde and his production,he was making a film with hollywood called"mr johnson"before his death and the collapse of the whole project,its not tribalism ,its the truth, who in your opinion is the greatest ibo artise and ill give u names of yoruba artise that have been in the industry at least 15 years before him/her
most of these artise even amaka igwe(that big woman who is also a producer)she is ibo and she said it herself that the industry was taken over by alaba money bags who are not professionals,force them to use their families even though they have no experience of film making and most professionals have been frustrated out of the industry,most of them learn as they go,what theatre arts school did the likes of jim iyke,rita dominic,genevieve,even omotola e.t.c attend? tell them to act life on stage and thats where they ll fail woefully,u think they r brill artise because u v not seen them take their lines like 10 times before gettn it and using the fake american phonetics to cover up

A good movie will sell anywhere!! Yorubas can tell their rich people to sponsor their films and seek the help of the igbo people in selling their movies like every other commercial activity in Nigeria, Igbo people are business people and will grab the opportunity to make money when presented regardless of where the person came from.

You're all giving lame excuses, All movies made today in Nigeria are craps (yorubawood or nollywood) and i am no fan of them

Bunch of hypocrites
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by lucabrasi(m): 1:02pm On May 05, 2008
romeo:

A good movie will sell anywhere!! Yorubas can tell their rich people to sponsor their films and seek the help of the igbo people in selling their movies like every other commercial activity in Nigeria, Igbo people are business people and will grab the opportunity to make money when presented regardless of where the person came from.

You're all giving lame excuses, All movies made today in Nigeria are craps (yorubawood or nollywood) and i am no fan of them

Bunch of hypocrites
shows u dont know much about the industry,if u think distribution is an overnight thing,if you spend 100million naira today to distribute,it wont guarantee ur movie of reaching the areas alaba,iweka road and the rest will because they have been at it for years,its not about a good movie or not, sango was a good movie and that has been the onli authentic epic movie in nigeria but distribution messed it up,so its not about a movie being good or not and its not about rich yorubas or not,that is precisely what we r sayn and thank GOD u agree,let the ibos who are more versed in the business side stick to that side of the business like the jews,advance the money ,distribute and make their money without doing the work and leave the directing,acting and all other technical aspects to the professionals,we have all that including the stories.
and its no lame excuse if u know what distribution is doing to the industry,and tribalism,all movies made in nigeria are crap because non professionals like a spare parts dealer are not movie producers over night because they have the money,and then tell professionals to shut up and sit down,which is why u and other ppl are not fans.
who is an hypocrite, lol im not in nollywood and im not affected apart from not gettn good quality movies
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by romeo(m): 1:15pm On May 05, 2008
Only the Yorubas are the ones talking about their movies and that makes me wonder
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Nobody: 2:00pm On May 05, 2008
Better continue with your Yorubawood LoL and leave our nollywood alone! people can not be dumber than this!!
I've never watched those local Yoruba dramas and i have no intention of doing it nor am i complaining

I am no fan of Nollywood but i know with time they will get better and i can not tell you the name of 10 nollywood stars

Certainly people cannot be dumber than actually sticking behind the glorious crap of nollywood that not only screams tribalism but also an industry that has remained stunted with no corresponding growth as well !!!! cheesy
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Dreloaded(f): 2:14pm On May 05, 2008
lucabrasi, threads like this have been made time and time again. These people will never understand what exactly it is someone is trying to say. Their ignorance makes them believe the comments are made from 'jealousy" and what not. Jelaous of what? Last I checked, it was South Africa that was getting the international awards in regards to African film despite Nigerian ones being so 'popular".

Nigeria is no where near that cept for a few Tunde Kelani movies that have been shown in international film festivals

People are saying Nollywood is quite exclusive with the people they allow in their movies which is pretty true, but whatever. watch what you want. If they want, they even go as far as allowing only people from one state sef. Na their business

As long as we don't become as bad as the Ghanians who pretty much only thrive on using lightskinned/mixed raced people in their movies, I'm fine.
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Cadet(f): 2:20pm On May 05, 2008
This is just another excuse to get tribal.

romeo:

Only the Yorubas are the ones talking about their movies and that makes me wonder
Esp. you  undecided
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Nobody: 2:25pm On May 05, 2008
D-reloaded:

lucabrasi, threads like this have been made time and time again. These people will never understand what exactly it is someone is trying to say. Their ignorance makes them believe the comments are made from 'jealousy" and what not. Jelaous of what? Last I checked, it was South Africa that was getting the international awards in regards to African film despite Nigerian ones being so 'popular".

Nigeria is no where near that cept for a few Tunde Kelani movies that have been shown in international film festivals

People are saying Nollywood is quite exclusive with the people they allow in their movies which is pretty true, but whatever. watch what you want. If they want, they even go as far as allowing only people from one state sef. Na their business

As long as we don't become as bad as the Ghanians who pretty much only thrive on using lightskinned/misex raced people in their movies, I'm fine.

Exactly!!!!!!
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by romeo(m): 2:34pm On May 05, 2008
Dey don gather again with their lame excuses!! Hypocrites
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Dreloaded(f): 2:54pm On May 05, 2008
Keep on crying. Sho ti gbo grin
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by romeo(m): 2:55pm On May 05, 2008
keep on whining!! onye nzuzu cheesy
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Uche2nna(m): 3:02pm On May 05, 2008
lucabrasi:

let the ibos who are more versed in the business side stick to that side of the business like the jews,advance the money ,distribute and make their money without doing the work and leave the directing,acting and all other technical aspects to the professionals,we have all that including the stories.

This is the funniest post I have read in a long time. My stomach is hurting from laughing.  grin grin grin Last time I checked there was not a ban on having Yoruba marketers and investors come into Nollywood.

You are complaining about "stereotyping" but this here is the most stereotypical post in this thread.

I am still waiting to see a  good argument on how the "Igbos" are stifling out other movies.
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by romeo(m): 3:05pm On May 05, 2008
Don't mind them grin grin
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Uche2nna(m): 3:20pm On May 05, 2008
@ luca

I am not a fan of movies from Nigeria. I hardly watch them , except for laffs.

I agree that Nollywood is in dire need of some infusion of professionalism but the way You are advocating for that professionalism is nothing to write home about. Take it or leave it, Nollywood has attained some heights. Prior to the release of "Living in Bondage" (a movie that was mainly of Igbo cast) the Nigerian home movie scene was virtually non-existent. If it was existent, then it was definitely not commercially relevant. A movie might be critically acclaimed but the only way to stay in business is to also make it commercially succesful. Living in bondage was one of the few home movies that found a way to do that and today Nollywood is selling even tho most of the movies are crap. Imagine what the sales would be like if they found a way to make decent movies with very good storylines. NOW THAT IS THE NEXT LEVEL THAT NOLLYWOOD IS HEADING TO. And believe it or not, people are already thinking along those lines just like You are doing but the difference is the approach. A director , marketer, playwright, screenplay writer or even a marketer can come from any part of the country (the yorubas do not hold any exclusive right on story telling) as long as there is some level of professionalism.
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Dreloaded(f): 3:53pm On May 05, 2008
why do you psychos always think when people are discussing such things about Nigerian movies that it means Yoruba movies vs English speaking films?

Seriously. Quit being daft. He also mentioned the stereotype of having Hausa only ever play the part of a gateman, why isnt anything being said about that.

You guys have some serious issues. Thinking the whole world is after you. get over yourselves.
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by romeo(m): 4:33pm On May 05, 2008
How many Hausas do you people put in your miserable school dramas? and how do you portray them if any

Why are you people whining like little children all the time about nollywood and your people being better than them ( in your dreams anyway)?

talk about being paranoid over nothing cheesy cheesy

We are not thinking that way please! you can't be after us, you can make Yorubawood bigger than Nollywood and stop whining
Healthy competition can make Nollywood grow (without jealousy though)

I will be very happy to see Yoruba films making Nigeria proud anyday (with all their ghost professionals and expertise)

Some people decided to make movies for a limited audience and another set of people decided to make movies for a wider audience and encountered success on the way. that is is naija movie industry

If you can't beat them join them cheesy
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Uche2nna(m): 5:04pm On May 05, 2008
romeo:

How many Hausas do you people put in your miserable school dramas? and how do you portray them if any

Food for thought

romeo:

I will be very happy to see Yoruba films making Nigeria proud anyday

Some people decided to make movies for a limited audience and another set of people decided to make movies for a wider audience and encountered success on the way. that is is naija movie industry

I think that is the crux of the matter.
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Ezinwannem: 5:45pm On May 05, 2008
Nollywood is just like anyother industry in Nigeria, Even in work places, people get position that does not fit into what they studied or experience but because of their tribe or connection.

There are Yoruba people in Nollywood and maybe there r not enough because they do no want to if not, the ones dere already would have not been dere. By the way, not every1 who did acting in skool wanna art considering how Naija is, they just studied dat cuz thats what the skool offered them

The Govt. does not want anything to do with NOLLYWOOD, so u'all so called Alaba market ventured and even sum people who live abraod comes and uses their connection and produce one,

I am loving their movies and I think they r improving
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by lucabrasi(m): 6:05pm On May 05, 2008
D-reloaded:

As long as we don't become as bad as the Ghanians who pretty much only thrive on using lightskinned/mixed raced people in their movies, I'm fine.
exactly,seems each time it always comes down to jelousy abi tribalism or bla bla, u r even sayn tunde kelani when ogunde is there,not just ogunde but his son attained international standards,theres something these guys dont know ant the fact is that the nollywodd most foreigners watch actually pull yoruba s back,imagine an american tryn to watch a nollywood movie,what he/she wants is the traditional vibes or nigerian indegenous feel and the first thing he sees is jim iyke with the fake accent or rita dominic with the accent,have you seen the movie "apesin"you ll appreciate yoruba culture,i get what you r saying and the funny thing is that the yoruba movie industry is going in another direction now,the goun state government is sponsoring an 80 million naira movie ,it will be a yoruba epic starring the main artise,and its going to be the most expensive movie made in nigeria so far.
D-reloaded:

why do you psychos always think when people are discussing such things about Nigerian movies that it means Yoruba movies vs English speaking films?

Seriously. Quit being daft. He also mentioned the stereotype of having Hausa only ever play the part of a gateman, why isnt anything being said about that.

You guys have some serious issues. Thinking the whole world is after you. get over yourselves.
i tire o,if the jews had tried to run hollywood because they put up the initial finance,imagine what hollywood will be like but they left it to the people who have the storylines and professionalism.
Uche2nna:

Food for thought

I think that is the crux of the matter.
fair enough but lets be very objective now,for an african to make a movie that will get international awards and for us to make an impact,we cant do it by copy and pasting hollywood storylines we have to be like them tunde kelanis,ogundes by being african and original.
and what is the easiest way,it is to use our history and tradition,the yorubas have the richest history,and tradition which im sure u agree with me,our language is the most spoken all round the world,and our cultures are known round the world,so what better tribe would you advance for their storys to be used?
we have sango,oya,obatala,ogunand these are just a few of the GODS theres the various stories of the yoruba cultures and other traditions,dont let me get started because there isnt space enough,the ibo guys are really trying because they are making the best of what they have but its not enough,they have used all the ibo traditios in the movies but u gys dont have that much in the way of traditions,we have more than enough to showcase to the world,why arent they allowed?another example is osun oshogbo,or eyo festival,ojude oba white people come from far and wide to participate,film and enough foreign documentaries,
@d-reloaded
you know u can watch yoruba movies on youtube,there are several good ones and they post some that are a couple of months old if you wana kill some time
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by romeo(m): 7:05pm On May 05, 2008
lucabrasi:

exactly,seems each time it always comes down to jelousy abi tribalism or bla bla, you're even sayn tunde kelani when ogunde is there,not just ogunde but his son attained international standards,theres something these guys don't know ant the fact is that the nollywodd most foreigners watch actually pull yoruba s back,imagine an american tryn to watch a nollywood movie,what he/she wants is the traditional vibes or nigerian indegenous feel and the first thing he sees is jim iyke with the fake accent or rita dominic with the accent,have you seen the movie "apesin"you ll appreciate yoruba culture,i get what you r saying and the funny thing is that the yoruba movie industry is going in another direction now,the goun state government is sponsoring an 80 million naira movie ,it will be a yoruba epic starring the main artise,and its going to be the most expensive movie made in nigeria so far.i tire o,if the jews had tried to run hollywood because they put up the initial finance,imagine what hollywood will be like but they left it to the people who have the storylines and professionalism.fair enough but lets be very objective now,for an african to make a movie that will get international awards and for us to make an impact,we can't do it by copy and pasting hollywood storylines we have to be like them tunde kelanis,ogundes by being african and original.
and what is the easiest way,it is to use our history and tradition,the yorubas have the richest history,and tradition which im sure u agree with me,our language is the most spoken all round the world,and our cultures are known round the world,so what better tribe would you advance for their storys to be used?
we have sango,oya,obatala,ogunand these are just a few of the GODS theres the various stories of the yoruba cultures and other traditions,don't let me get started because there isnt space enough,the ibo guys are really trying because they are making the best of what they have but its not enough,they have used all the ibo traditios in the movies but u gys don't have that much in the way of traditions,we have more than enough to showcase to the world,why arent they allowed?another example is osun oshogbo,or eyo festival,ojude oba white people come from far and wide to participate,film and enough foreign documentaries,
@d-reloaded
you know u can watch yoruba movies on youtube,there are several good ones and they post some that are a couple of months old if you wana kill some time

This is biggest load of crap I've come across in my entire life!!!

The igbos have no tradition but the Yorubas do
The igbos have no professionals but the yorubas do
The yorubas are known all over the globe and the igbos are not

Why can't ogun state sponsor a nollywood epic? why the Yoruba one with 80 million and not nollywood?
And who are these school drama experts tunde kelani and ogunde? i have never heard about them dude!!

Go and tell ekiti, ondo, lagos, oyo and ogun states to bring out additional 80 million each to support Yorubawood and maybe we'll all be proud of Yorubawood as our national pride in movie making tongue

You people are pathetic!!
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Dreloaded(f): 7:13pm On May 05, 2008
romeo:

Why are you people whining like little children all the time about nollywood and your people being better than them ( in your dreams anyway)?

talk about being paranoid over nothing cheesy cheesy

We are not thinking that way please! you can't be after us, you can make Yorubawood bigger than Nollywood and stop whining
Healthy competition can make Nollywood grow (without jealousy though)

I will be very happy to see Yoruba films making Nigeria proud anyday (with all their ghost professionals and expertise)

If you can't beat them join them cheesy

Actually seeing that you dont watch Nigerian movies, how would you know who is in which and what? I can name 5 movies with Hausa people actually

Once again this isnt about so called "Yorubawood vs Igbowood". get over yourselves. It's about being exclusive in terms of actors in movies. Is that really hard for you to understand

Dont know why people that dont knwo shit about the film industry think they can jump into discussions and turn it into some tribal fight. You claim you dont even watch the movies, so what the hell are you doing here? You dont even get the point of the thread. Just looking for ways to cause "tribal warfare". Go read a book, jare.
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by romeo(m): 7:14pm On May 05, 2008

GIVE NOLLYWOOD A CHANCE-- TUNDE KELANI

Are you a lover of Mexican soaps? Are you a fan of ‘When You’re Mine,’ ‘Lorenzo’s Wife’ and ‘Second Chance.’ Watch out! You will have a chance to view better indeginious soaps soon because they are all headed for the dustbin!

According to veteran producer, Tunde Kelani, the days when cheap Mexican soaps will rule our airwaves are numbered: “Nigerian private production is on the increase. There are good programmes like ‘Super Story,’ giving those cheap Mexican soaps a run for their money. It is only a matter of time before those ‘Cheap Mexican dumps’ are yanked off the air. A lot of young talented people are coming into the industry now. There is going to be a re-birth of our soaps,” he told ‘Showbiznow’ recently.

Give Nollywood a chance
He also called on critics of the third largest movie brand in the world to give Nollywood a chance. “Critics like to com pare us to America,” he lamented, but they forget that the American industry is over 100 year-old. We are just 15 years. There is still a long way to go but if we put our act together, chances are that we might get there.

“I don’t agree with those that dismiss Nollywood on the basis of quality because it is beginning to improve. I believe that Nollywood is the greatest thing that could have happened to us as a nation. It has put Nigeria on the map. We have been able to take our destiny into our own hands. Hollywood is a monstrous 100 year-old industrial giant. They have the money and the structures. Averagely, a movie costs about $16million. Where are you going to get 6million to shoot a movie in Nigeria? He asked emphatically.

However, he said that Nigeria was lucky to have had the Nollywood experience because there are countries that have not even started. “Nigeria has become a benchmark in terms of development of cimema in Africa. You can’t take that from us.
According to him: “We are different. We are a developing nation. We have lost all our cinema infrastructure. We are trying to reinvente ourselves in the areas of democracy, electricity and portable water. We are struggling to keep up with education. Those are our priorities. You cannot then compare us to America. We have to take our own time and find our own path and develop at our own rate.

Celluloid to digital
Once upon a time, he was one of those that believed that digital video woulkd always be inferior to diugital video. Today he has become a convert: “ In hindsight, I think that it is only logical way to go. There was a time I had thought it was not possible but we can say that for the telephones. From analogue, telephone to GSM. Who would have thought that some bright people in the world can invent the mobile telephone that anyboduy can have access to?. It is more or less the same thing.

The Nigerian economy collapsed when we were shooting on celluloid and everybody thought it was the end of the world However, it has turned out to be the reverse. The new technology has empowered us. Now we have fair access to means of production. When it was celluloid, everything was imported from abroad and it was very expensive but today, anybody could have a personal computer, install an editing software and start makeing films. So on the one hand, it is may has ‘ democratized’ the means of production. That’s what ignited nollywood.”

Nigeria in the movies
Despite our rich cultural heritage, our stories are not being told in our movies. Kelami says that the reason for this is audience preference: “I think it has to do with the various stages of development It depends on who. As for me, I do projest that have4 connection wuth cinema and literature. A good number of films I have made are adapted from existing literary resourses and fiction. In order words, I have learnt to celebrate and recognize the importance of literature and cinema.

However he addede: “It is a question of expression. There is nothing that compells you to do it. There are people like Eddie Ugboma, who have done thematic movies like, The President and The Onitsha Women Riot. Our stories are being told but there is a preference by the audience. If the taste of the consumer changes, then you would see spometing different.”

He rationalized: “If someboy invests in business and he is getting returrns, why do you want him to change. Nobody is an expert at predicting audiences taste. Producers will tell you that they are businessmen responding to demand. I wont say that money consideration has taken over professionalism in Nollywood but I recognize peoples freedom of expression.

Financial reward
Could he reconcile his fame with the money in his pocket: “You know that the problem we have is funding. My current project, Agbara is threatened. We are just beginning to get subventions but I believe that is going to change. I have I have invested everything I have into film making but on the material side, I have nothing to show,” he conclude.

source: http://www.modernghana.com/movie/2003/3/GIVE-NOLLYWOOD-A-CHANCE---TUNDE-KELANI

That came from your Hero and he's not calling himself a Yorubawood Director but Nollywood director
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Dreloaded(f): 7:17pm On May 05, 2008
lucabrasi:

we have sango,oya,obatala,ogunand these are just a few of the GODS theres the various stories of the yoruba cultures and other traditions,don't let me get started because there isnt space enough,the ibo guys are really trying because they are making the best of what they have but its not enough,they have used all the ibo traditios in the movies but u gys don't have that much in the way of traditions,we have more than enough to showcase to the world,why arent they allowed?another example is osun oshogbo,or eyo festival,ojude oba white people come from far and wide to participate,film and enough foreign documentaries,

lubacrasi, you are being just as bad as they are with this nonsense. Why are starting some whose tradition is better arguement here? It's cos of piosts like this that you have the obsessive lunatics looking for tribal fights. Screaming that one cuoture is richer than the other isnt helping matters at all, infact it's making it hella worse. i dont support this part of your arguement at all.
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Dreloaded(f): 7:20pm On May 05, 2008
romeo:

That came from your Hero and he's not calling himself a Yorubawood Director but Nollywood director

Do you have a problem with that?

since when does Nollywood equate "Igbowood", arent you the ones saying that Nollywood as an Igbo industry?

He calls himself a "Nollywood" director cos unlike you egomaniacs, he's aware that Nollywood means films of Nigeria. not films of one particular tribe. perhaps you guys should learn from him
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by romeo(m): 7:21pm On May 05, 2008
D-reloaded:

Actually seeing that you don't watch Nigerian movies, how would you know who is in which and what? I can name 5 movies with Hausa people actually

Once again this isnt about so called "Yorubawood vs Igbowood". get over yourselves. It's about being exclusive in terms of actors in movies. Is that really hard for you to understand

Dont know why people that don't knwo shit about the film industry think they can jump into discussions and turn it into some tribal fight. You claim you don't even watch the movies, so what the hell are you doing here? You don't even get the point of the thread. Just looking for ways to cause "tribal warfare". Go read a book, jare.

I am responding to you and your Yoruba experts!! You can twist the conversation the way you like but you're a phucking tribalist
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Uche2nna(m): 7:22pm On May 05, 2008
lucabrasi:

Na wa ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!  undecided  I cant believe I am reading this from U, luca  shocked How is it the Igbo man's fault that the yoruba tradition is  not show-cased to the world?  undecided I know we have our problems but please dont put this one on us.

U guys have enuff to showcase to the world , what is stopping ya. The Igbo man  undecided

lucabrasi:

we have more than enough to showcase to the world,why arent they allowed?another example is osun oshogbo,or eyo festival,ojude oba white people come from far and wide to participate,film and

Excuse me   Who is not allowing what? I am really at loss here? Is there a ban that I am not aware of? Una no go kill me for here  grin

It is good U guys have a rich culture to tap in and hey, I believe that Yoruba has a very rich cultural heritage. What I dont believe is that a particular tribe is "not allowing" another tribe to showcase its own heritage. I have heard a lot of tribal rants on NL but this takes the cake.

Instead of pointing fingers to the Igbo marketers, U guys should figure out how to bring in more yorubas to invest in thier HERITAGE. It is not as if U guys dont have the money. So what is the problem, bro? There is nothing wrong in waiting for the present crop of marketers to risk and invest thier money in nollywood epics but then it wont be a crime if u guys led the way.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Bbnaija: Saga Never Asked Me Out, Nini Reveals / Spartacus, A Series Worth Watching / TStv Laments Fierce Battle With Competitors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 154
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.