Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,140 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:15 AM

Nollywood Or Igbowood? - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nollywood Or Igbowood? (17581 Views)

Which One Would You Rather Spend Hours Watching: Nollywood Or Bollywood? & Why? / Ije! Nollywood Or Hollywood ? / Nollywood Or Bollywood, Where Are The Most Beautiful Actresses ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Dreloaded(f): 7:23pm On May 05, 2008
I think you are confusing me with yourself, romeo dear  cheesy

which is why you are even hounding a thread in which you know nothing about just to look for a way to fight

when someone is wrong, I tell them. Unless you are batshit blind, you can see I critized what lucabrusi wrote. If it were one of your equally tribalistic monkeys you'd be worshipping them
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by romeo(m): 7:31pm On May 05, 2008
D-reloaded:

I think you are confusing me with yourself, romeo dear cheesy

which is why you are even hounding a thread in which you know nothing about just to look for a way to fight

when someone is wrong, I tell them. Unless you are batshit blind, you can see I critized what lucabrusi wrote. If it were one of your equally tribalistic monkeys you'd be worshipping them

My very good friend D-recargada

Ohh you just told that my daft friend Luca that you're all wrong grin grin grin

did you just called yourself a monkey?
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by romeo(m): 7:32pm On May 05, 2008
D-reloaded:

Do you have a problem with that?

since when does Nollywood equate "Igbowood", arent you the ones saying that Nollywood as an Igbo industry?

He calls himself a "Nollywood" director because unlike you egomaniacs, he's aware that Nollywood means films of Nigeria. not films of one particular tribe. perhaps you guys should learn from him

You just echoed my line of arguement here,
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Dreloaded(f): 7:33pm On May 05, 2008
[quote author=romeo link=topic=106899.msg2226811#msg2226811 date=1210012269
Ohh you just told that my daft friend Luca that you're all wrong grin grin grin
[quote][/quote]

Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by oziomatv(m): 7:40pm On May 05, 2008
Another fight here,
Igbowood-Igbohood
Our problem is to join hand to sort it out.
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by lucabrasi(m): 9:53pm On May 05, 2008
D-reloaded:

lubacrasi, you are being just as bad as they are with this nonsense. Why are starting some whose tradition is better arguement here? It's because of piosts like this that you have the obsessive lunatics looking for tribal fights. Screaming that one cuoture is richer than the other isnt helping matters at all, infact it's making it hella worse. i don't support this part of your arguement at all.

im sorry i got carried away trying to put my point across to everyone abeg im all for nollywood and my stance is all about professionalism,im not advocating for yorubawood or hausawood or ibowood,but for nollywood to be nollywood in the real sense of it,its not about tribe even though i was going on about the yoruba bit i guess the whole thing got sidelined while i was trying to answer individual comments thrown at me,my stance b4 i got distracted from the main argument is for(alaba traders of whichever tribe,either ibo,yoruba or hausa)to allow the professionals to do their work and to leave a level playing field for everybody,and also that tribe should not be a basis for casting artise or funding movie projects.
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by lucabrasi(m): 10:12pm On May 05, 2008
@romeo
i wasnt supporting a yorubawood if thats the way im coming across,i was responding to sum comments and got carried away with the whole this culture and that culture,the idea behind nollywood is a noble one and if the whole industry follow it thru it will be the better for everybody concerned,let us forget the positives of yoruba or ibo or hausa culture because its distracting us from the main point ,and talk about pure professionalism,
all im saying like i wrote before is that it should be done like its dne in bollywood,hollywood as in artise should be cast on the basis of them being a ble to play and interpret the roles not on the basis of their tribe,directors should be employed on the basis of their skills not their tribe,same thing with script writers e.t.c
why the yoruba thing came in is because i read it in the sun news interview where some top yoruba actors (a guy called yemi solade)said the ibo producers cast on the basis of tribe and thats why they have not been perticipating in the ibo movies,read interviews from two other yoruba artise saying the same thing,that and the non professionals in the industry is stunting the growth of nollywood, disregard my yoruba stance as i lost rack of the main issue
Uche2nna:

Na wa ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! undecided I can't believe I am reading this from You, luca shocked How is it the Igbo man's fault that the yoruba tradition is not show-cased to the world? undecided I know we have our problems but please don't put this one on us.

You guys have enough to showcase to the world , what is stopping ya. The Igbo man undecided

Excuse me Who is not allowing what? I am really at loss here? Is there a ban that I am not aware of? Una no go kill me for here grin

It is good You guys have a rich culture to tap in and hey, I believe that Yoruba has a very rich cultural heritage. What I don't believe is that a particular tribe is "not allowing" another tribe to showcase its own heritage. I have heard a lot of tribal rants on Nairaland but this takes the cake.

Instead of pointing fingers to the Igbo marketers, You guys should figure out how to bring in more yorubas to invest in their HERITAGE. It is not as if You guys don't have the money. So what is the problem, bro? There is nothing wrong in waiting for the present crop of marketers to risk and invest their money in nollywood epics but then it wont be a crime if u guys led the way.
abeg o i v explained that i lost tract of the argument,its not about yoruba versus ibo,the whole having more culture than the other doesnt even arise untill the industry is stable then they can sort out which storyline is which,talking about the yorubas having a richer culture,iwasnt saying the ibos are inferior,im talking from a business point of view not sayn one tribe is greater than the other let me give an example,

ill use hollywood once again,we all know the jews hold the purse strings,but how many jewish movies do we see in the box office,infact there are some movies that go against their religion and culture but they dont complain because the business is all about making money,sorry if that came across as a tribal rant ,that wasnt the point i was puttn across
@all
abeg dont abuse me again o i v just explained myself and im not all about yorubawood o but nollywood as in wazobia ibo hausa yoruba,niger delta,efik,fulani the whole of nigeria, im not fighting for a particular tribe o or for yorubawood smiley
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by romeo(m): 10:14am On May 06, 2008
Jealousy will not let you smell something good when it's about to happen, Igbos will take nollywood to a higher level and not your people!! get that into your small head lucas.

you said the jewish run hollywood from the back? well no

List of jews you might think that they are not Jews:

Ed Asner, Bea Arthur, Gene Barry, Richard Benjamin, Kevin Costner, Lee J. Cobb, Richard Dreyfus, Ted Danson, Peter Falk (Columbo), Eddie Fisher, Harrison Ford, Richard Gere, Betty Grable, Sharon Gless, Jennifer Grey, David Duchowny, Alicia Silverstone, Natalie Portman, Mandy Patinkin Steven Segall, Dustin Hoffman, Monty Hall, Amy Irving, Jack Klugman, Leonard Nimoy, Ken Olin, Ron Perlman, George Segel, William Shatner, Peter Strauss, Rod Steiger, Jane Seymour, Barbara Walters, Debra Winger, and Bruce Willis.

Another list of Jews that changed their names in Hollywood:

Adopted Christian Name , Real Jewish Name

Joey Adams , Joseph Abramowitz

Eddie Albert , Eddie Heimberger

Woody Allen, Allen Konigsberg

Lauren Bacall , Betty Joan Perske

Jack Benny , Benny Kubelsky

Milton Berle , Milton Berlinger

Ernest Borgnine , Effron Borgnine

George Burns , Nathan Birnbaum

Joan Blondell, Rosebud Blustein

Joyce Brothers , Joyce Bauer

Mel Brooks , Melvin Kaminsky

Joey Bishop , Joey Gottlieb

Charles Bronson , Charles Buchinsky

Rona Barrett , Rona Burnstein

Cyd Chrisse , Tula Finklea

Tony Curtis (daughter is Jamie Lee Curtis), Bernhard Schwartz

Joan Crawford , Lucille Le Sueur

Dyan Cannon , Samile Diane Friesen

Kirk Douglas (son is Michael Douglas) , Issur Danilovich Demsky

Bob Dylan , Robert Zimmerman

Rodney Dangerfield , Jacob Cohen

Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. , Douglas Ullman

Joel Grey (father of Jennifer Grey), Joel Katz

Zsa Zsa Gabor , Sara Gabor

John Garfield , Julius Garfinkle

Judy Garland , Frances Gumm

Paulette Goddard , Pauline Levee

Eydie Gorme, Edith Gormezano

Elliott Gould , Elliott Goldstein

Cary Grant , Larry Leach

Lorne Green , Chaim Leibowiz

Judy Holliday , Judith Tuvim

Leslie Howard , Leslie Stainer

Buddy Hackett , Leonard Hacker

Jill St. John , Jill Oppenheim

Danny Kaye, David Kaminsky

Alan King , Irwin Kniberg

Larry King, Larry Zeiger

Tina Louise, Tina Blacker

Ann Landers (Abigail Van Buren is her sister) , Esther Friedman

1. Dorothy Lamour , Dorothy Kaumeyer

Miehael Landon , Mike Orowitz

Steve Lawrence , Sidney Leibowitz

Hal Linden, Hal Lipshitz

Jerry Lewis , Joseph Levitch

Karl Maiden , Maiden Sekulovitch

Paul Muni , Muni Weisenfreund

Ethel Merman , Ethel Zimmerman

Jan Murray , Murray Janofsky

Walter Matthau , Walter Matasschanskayasky

Lilly Palmer , Maria Peiser

Jan Peerce, Jacob Pincus Perelmuth

Roberta Peters, Roberta Peterman

Eleanor Parker, Ellen Friedlob

Joan Rivers , Joan Molinsky

Tony Randall , Leonard Rosenberg

Edward G. Robinson , Emmanuel Goldberg

Dinah Shore , Francis Rose Shore

Shelly Winters , Shirley Schrift

Gene Wilder, Eugene Silverstein

Winona Ryder, Laura Horowitz
source: http://www.radioislam.org/islam/english/toread/names.htm

The jews are almost single handedly running Hollywood and nobody is complaining except those Is'lamic freaks

The igbos should be allowed to do their thing in Nollywood because they know what they are doing, if not i can not explain how they got nollywood so popular in only 15 years of existence.

All Nollywood films can not be quality! some will be crap and others will be good just like they do in the Mecca of movies Hollywood

@luca
stop apologising for your Freudian slip tongue
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by lucabrasi(m): 1:58pm On May 06, 2008
i hear you and the well detailed info is quite noted,but pray tell me how old are all these guys even both dead or alive and how old is hollywood?
also did the likes of them kevin costner,richard gere and the rest of them start featuring in movies without knowing anything about film making,acting e.t.c at least even though they are running hollywood,there is still a level playing field for everybody even the blacks have a platform for their movies,the point im tryna make is that the game is not closed to just them but open to everybody to do their thing and also the industry welcomes talent,professionalism
u seem not to get my point,no one is saying the ibo s cannot act,i onli gave examples of the present crop of artise that are forced on us by the marketers,an example of a brilliant ibo artise is that bearded man that acted in the old old movie"the gods are not to blame as okonkwo"forgotten his name,also patience ozokwo,steph nora okerekwe,and others i cant quite remember their names as well,all we r saying is that the people who are heading the present nollywood happen to be the alaba traders,and because of the money they r tryna make,they r destroying the industry for all the professionals amaka igwe is a professional and ibo,the amata brothers i think are ibo not sure, what we r sayn is that the marketers who happen to be ibo are destroying the industry for both the yorubas,ibos,hausase.t.c another example of a brilliand ibo producer once again is amaka igwe im sure u ll agree with me that she is ibo and she actually said it on her visit to the uk with tunde kelani for a workshop they were invited to that the alaba marketers are destroying the industry,im not jelouse of anything either as a yoruba or as a nigerian because im proud of what the yoruba artise,ibo artise,even hausa artise are doing a woman like ene oloja started with the kanywood and even though she didnt have the exposure of the likes of the yoruba or ibo artise she has gotten where no nigerian artise has ever gotten to so if i was jelouse of a good thing dont u think she s the onlly one worth being jelouse of??let me ask u a question cause im confused, dy actually reckon the industry should continue to be run as it is presently?
well seeing as u v said you dont watch them movies,i do and i can tell you 99% of them are crap,the only ones that do well are the nkem owoh,aki and pawpaw,comedies generally
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by romeo(m): 2:28pm On May 06, 2008
lucabrasi:

i hear you and the well detailed info is quite noted,but pray tell me how old are all these guys even both dead or alive and how old is hollywood?
also did the likes of them kevin costner,richard gere and the rest of them start featuring in movies without knowing anything about film making,acting e.t.c at least even though they are running hollywood,there is still a level playing field for everybody even the blacks have a platform for their movies,the point im trying to make is that the game is not closed to just them but open to everybody to do their thing and also the industry welcomes talent,professionalism
u seem not to get my point,no one is saying the ibo s cannot act,i onli gave examples of the present crop of artise that are forced on us by the marketers,an example of a brilliant ibo artise is that bearded man that acted in the old old movie"the gods are not to blame as okonkwo"forgotten his name,also patience ozokwo,steph nora okerekwe,and others i can't quite remember their names as well,all we r saying is that the people who are heading the present nollywood happen to be the alaba traders,and because of the money they r trying to make,they r destroying the industry for all the professionals amaka igwe is a professional and ibo,the amata brothers i think are ibo not sure, what we r sayn is that the marketers who happen to be ibo are destroying the industry for both the yorubas,ibos,hausase.t.c another example of a brilliand ibo producer once again is amaka igwe im sure u ll agree with me that she is ibo and she actually said it on her visit to the uk with tunde kelani for a workshop they were invited to that the alaba marketers are destroying the industry,im not jelouse of anything either as a yoruba or as a nigerian because im proud of what the yoruba artise,ibo artise,even hausa artise are doing a woman like ene oloja started with the kanywood and even though she didnt have the exposure of the likes of the yoruba or ibo artise she has gotten where no nigerian artise has ever gotten to so if i was jelouse of a good thing don't u think she s the onlly one worth being jelouse of??let me ask u a question cause im confused, dy actually reckon the industry should continue to be run as it is presently?
well seeing as u v said you don't watch them movies,i do and i can tell you 99% of them are crap,the only ones that do well are the nkem owoh,aki and pawpaw,comedies generally

Shut up now!! You are sounding very pathetic, It was " Things fall apart"!! and his name is Pete Edochie. Stop talking about things you don't know and this your Yoruba "artise" people!! cheesy and mind you, igbos do no have "artise" but actors grin

where were those prestigious actors and directors when alaba "movie" moguls took over the helms of movie making in Nigeria? make i hear word jare
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by akowonjo: 2:49pm On May 06, 2008
I don't know why my yoruba bros and sisters are getting themselves unnecessarily worked up. I want us to try and make a list of the non-igbo major actors/actresses in Nollywood as against the igbo ones. My list might not carry all the names so others are invited to contribute.

Non Igbo
1. Regina Askia
2. Liz Benson
3. Ayo Adesanya
4. Bimbo Akintola
5. RMD
6. Joe Akwagh (RIP)
7. Funsho Adeolu (RIP)
8. Fred Amata
9. Ruke Amata
10. Zack Amata
11. Saheed Balogun
12. Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde
13. Olu Jacobs
14. Joke Jacobs
15. Toyin Tomato
16. Justus Esiri
17. Tricia Eseigbe
18. Ramsey Nouah
19. Desmond Elliot
20. Kate Henshaw-Nuttal
21. Gentle Jack
22. Mercy Johnson
23. Stella Damasus-Aboderin
24. Fred Aseroma

Igbo
1. Genevieve Nnaji
2. Sandra Achums
3. Ken Okonkwo
4. Rita Dominic
5. Oge Okoye
6. Chioma Chukwuka
7. Jim Iyke
8. Nkem Owoh
9. Pete Edochie
10. Chiwetal Agu
11. Kanayo O. Kanayo
12. Uche Jombo
13. Rita Edochie
14. Simple Baby (forgotten his real name)
15. Emeka Okoro
16. Jennifer Okereke
17. Uche Osotule
18. Emeka Ossai
19. Bob-Manuel Udokwu
20. Chinyere Wilfred
22 & 23. Aki and Pawpaw
24. Empress Njamah

Heyyyyyyy, I don tire to write names joo. I'm sure there are many more names to be added on both sides of d list. I just want to balance the argument. Let the poster and co give me a list of the non-yoruba people that have featured in the yoruba films. I'm waiting.  wink
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by akowonjo: 2:54pm On May 06, 2008
Non igbo 25: Monalisa Chinda Igbo 25 Steph-Nora Okere

Pls. Igbo 16 should be Stephanie and Not Jennifer. Na error of name combination grin
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by lucabrasi(m): 3:05pm On May 06, 2008
romeo:

Shut up now!! You are sounding very pathetic, It was " Things fall apart"!! and his name is Pete Edochie. Stop talking about things you don't know and this your Yoruba "artise" people!! cheesy and mind you, igbos do no have "artise" but actors grin

where were those prestigious actors and directors when alaba "movie" moguls took over the helms of movie making in Nigeria? make i hear word jare
i wont go down the whole insult route with you because we r not in oshsodi or aj city,why am i sounding pathetic,dyu know how old i was when the film was showing?or wud you have me leave my studies and start researching on who pete edochie is and what not,i see the ibo s dont have artise so the females are actors as well??that one pass me o but i guess if it sounds right to u sha,it must be, dont mind me illiterate osun state boy grin
my own little understanding of artise is combining both the female and male practitioners,but i guess they are both "male and female actors"(your words not mine koh?)
as to your question,all of them were there trying to make something of the industry,what happened was when the alaba traders came on board,they gave the money to make movies to producers who were of same tribe,and that started the making of the thrash we r seeing now,not only that they put pressure on these producers to turn their money over and return the capitals and gains because remember they are traders,it got to a stage where they wer making movies in less than a week,sell for the first 1/2 weeks and make their money and the movie is dumped for another one.
after a while the traders imposed their own families who knew nothing about the industry on the professionals(note not just yoruba but ibo professionals as well)and thats where the whole thing started going on a downwards spiral,
that was when these prestigious "male and FEMALE ACTORS"either joined them in making these horrible movies or go hungry, did you know olu jacobs acted in the gods must be crazy that 70s/80s hollywood movie(not sure wat year)and his wife is a british trained theatre arts graduate?if u saw her interview when she was asked why she participated in some substandard movies,she answered that she onli did when she was broke and needed money,the thing is they,the likes of pete edochie e.t.c have tried to change things and since the marketers are the ones advancing the money and no government funding or regulation and the multi nationals/indegenous companies dont want to invest,they have joined the bandwagon,
did u hear about when the likes of genevieve,omotola,rmd were banned for some frivolous reason and the marketers told them to come and meet them in sum out of the way village in the east and some of them refused to go to a village they dont know anyone there, thats the kind of power theseguys wield
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by lucabrasi(m): 3:17pm On May 06, 2008
@akowonjo
nice one man,but what we are saying is that if professionals are allowed to handle the sensitive areas like script writing ,camera ,lightning,audio e.t.c these people u have listed on both sides will act ten times better,also if funds are released to both of these sides like u wrote on business basis rather than tribe by the marketers it will make nollywood greater.
personally if u ask me ill remove and burn some names from both sides as non actors lol
there are several but i dont know their titles,theres like one wehre desmond elliot acted in ill get back to u on the title,"eyin oka" eda and patience ozokwor,temi ni nkem, ejike aziegbu,larry koldsweat,segun arinze and one other ibo guy and lady, several that i cant even count, lol

@poster
personally my dream for them is to see the likes of pete edochie and mr bello act in the same movie,u seen the film atlanta and u ll see the beauty of both ibo and yoruba working together or "eyin oka"where patience ozokwor suprised me speaking yoruba fluently and the movie was awesome
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by aloib(f): 3:21pm On May 06, 2008
`phewwww, cant believe i read all the posts, funny convos sha
lol,
back to work cool
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by sheniqua: 3:47pm On May 06, 2008
lucabrasi:

@akowonjo
nice one man,but what we are saying is that if professionals are allowed to handle the sensitive areas like script writing ,camera ,lightning,audio e.t.c these people u have listed on both sides will act ten times better,also if funds are released to both of these sides like u wrote on business basis rather than tribe by the marketers it will make nollywood greater.
personally if u ask me ill remove and burn some names from both sides as non actors lol
there are several but i don't know their titles,theres like one wehre desmond elliot acted in ill get back to u on the title,"eyin oka" eda and patience ozokwor,temi ni nkem, ejike aziegbu,larry koldsweat,segun arinze and one other ibo guy and lady, several that i can't even count, lol

@poster
personally my dream for them is to see the likes of pete edochie and mr bello act in the same movie,u seen the film atlanta and u ll see the beauty of both ibo and yoruba working together or "eyin oka"where patience ozokwor suprised me speaking yoruba fluently and the movie was awesome

Stop all these your nonsense.
You have talked from both sides of the mouth and now talking from another orifice.
If your dream was for professionals,you would have said so instead of asking that these professionals be Yorubas and making mention of Yoruba culture as better known and should be showcased.
There are also Igbo professionals.

If you have a problem that Igbos dominate nollywood,deal with it or stop watching it.
Personally I'm not a big fan of Nigerian movies and have never seen a Yoruba movie,I don't speak Yoruba.
I can assure you most Igbos don't know the names you mentioned earlier.

The movie industry is a private industry you can't impose affirmative action or quota system in it.
Tyler Perry was turned down and rejected and he started his own production company and casts mainly blacks in his movies.
Nobody is complaining.

Yoruba culture Yoruba culture
Nonsense!!

You need to borrow a leaf from the Igbos you've been castigating and migrate to other parts of Nigeria to see that many others have rich cultures too.
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Dreloaded(f): 4:04pm On May 06, 2008

"eyin oka"where patience ozokwor suprised me speaking yoruba fluently and the movie was awesome

I heard about this one but I havent seen it.

lucabrasi, I suggest you abandon ship althopugh you started this mess with your "blah blah culture is richer than this" garbage

Now the tribalistic vultures have come, despite not understanding the point of the thread and frankly there's no point to the discussion again.
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Uche2nna(m): 4:11pm On May 06, 2008
@ luca

Let me just forget all those talk about yoruba culture u spewed on the last page since it seems U have done a dramatic volte-face  grin

Now to ur new position on the state of Nollywood,

I agree with ya 100 percent on the lack of professionalism in the industry and personally I think that is one of the problems dragging the industry down. Everybody wants to be a scriptwriter, director , producer etc.  But this lack of professionalism should not be placed on the doorstep of the marketers alone. Actors nowadays are also producers , screen writers and directors. It is not even uncommon to find a producer/director acting in a movie that he or she directed. I aint saying it is unheard of but when U have a bunch of people doing different things at the same time with a very poor quality end product, then something is wrong somewhere. U also must have heard some actresses going into the studio when they know they cant sing for shit. Most artistes these days have little or no formal training in the industry. Just have a pretty face and probably an inclination to show a little bit of skin and U are in. I remenber one of my course mates ( a course that had nothing to do with acting by the way) becoming an actress suddenly. I aint saying she turned out to be a bad or good actress but that one minute we were all taking biochemistry lectures and the next day she was in a home movie. I was like DAMN!!! .

So when U are mentioning the marketers, U are just pointing to an aspect of the problem and that is a little bit unfair. It runs deeper than that.
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by sheniqua: 4:24pm On May 06, 2008
D-reloaded:

lucabrasi, I suggest you abandon ship althopugh you started this mess with your "blah blah culture is richer than this" garbage

Now the tribalistic vultures have come, despite not understanding the point of the thread and frankly there's no point to the discussion again.

what exactly is the point of the thread?
The first three posts made it clear.
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by lucabrasi(m): 4:41pm On May 06, 2008
D-reloaded:

"ouch"guess you r right as it seems everyone s dug their heels in and will not see any other point of view,i v done an about turn on the culture is richer issue as it was honestly not what i meant,the film is realli nice and suprising seeing her speak yoruba,that film atlanta s realli nice too couldnt stop lmao,
sheniqua:

Stop all these your nonsense.
You have talked from both sides of the mouth and now talking from another orifice.
If your dream was for professionals,you would have said so instead of asking that these professionals be Yorubas and making mention of Yoruba culture as better known and should be showcased.
There are also Igbo professionals.

If you have a problem that Igbos dominate nollywood,deal with it or stop watching it.
Personally I'm not a big fan of Nigerian movies and have never seen a Yoruba movie,I don't speak Yoruba.
I can assure you most Igbos don't know the names you mentioned earlier.

The movie industry is a private industry you can't impose affirmative action or quota system in it.
Tyler Perry was turned down and rejected and he started his own production company and casts mainly blacks in his movies.
Nobody is complaining.

Yoruba culture Yoruba culture
Nonsense!!

You need to borrow a leaf from the Igbos you've been castigating and migrate to other parts of Nigeria to see that many others have rich cultures too.
talking from both sides of the mouth means im not biased and im all for the best getting the job,if u read my contributions apart from the culture one,i said there were professionals of all tribes and i mentioned amaka igwe who im sure is ibo,and i was always on the side of professionalism but while tryn to reply a comment i side tracked and went into the whole culture thing,that has always been my stance.
the reason why ibo keeps coming up on the thread is because the marketers happen to be ibo,an example is the reason why hausas keep being blamed for nigeria is not because they are the only politicians but because they are in the majority, hope my analogy explains it a lil clearer

i mentioned these yoruba names like ogunde purely on the basis of his age and how long he has been a theatre person,u can google herbert ogunde and u ll see how much of a pioneer he was,he has been doing stage and celluloid since the 1960s and 1970s.

im not after a mainly yoruba production because apart from other tribes not watchn it,the international market cannot as well and it will boil down to the same thing we r talking about now,both yoruba,hausa,ibo movies presently is more or less crap i wasnt singling out just ibo movies,private industryi dont agree with you at all and u seem to be advocating the very same thing y'all accused me of doing,
the movie industry can only grow with the infusion of funds from both the banks,multi nationals and government, as rich as these marketers are,they cant finance a 3years movie project with like 100-200million, that is why they only invest less than 5million,and get their capital back in less than 2 months to turn over.
yoruba,ibo,hausa,efik,,niger delta everythn culture is awesome K?? smiley maybe im ignorant cause i dont know about ibo cultures pls share wat ibo cultures u ll like see being made into a movie as well,

@uche2nna
i agree totally with you but dont u think the marketers caused the influx of non tested actors and actresses coming into the industry?also if everyone is given a chance,they will come up with better quality of movies and get noticed, the government will have no choice but to fully regulate and finance, that is why i mentioned the 80million funding by ogun state government not because it was a yoruba agenda
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by lucabrasi(m): 4:44pm On May 06, 2008
sheniqua:

you r right but i think she is actually tryna be objective with her arguments,and even though u thought i was being tribalistic i too have taken pains to explain that i wasnt on the side of neither tribe,thats why she with y'all was telling me off on the whole yoruba culture yada yada yada,
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by romeo(m): 4:52pm On May 06, 2008
lucabrasi:

i wont go down the whole insult route with you because we r not in oshsodi or aj city,why am i sounding pathetic,dyu know how old i was when the film was showing?or would you have me leave my studies and start researching on who pete edochie is and what not,i see the ibo s don't have artise so the females are actors as well??that one pass me o but i guess if it sounds right to u sha,it must be, don't mind me illiterate osun state boy grin
my own little understanding of artise is combining both the female and male practitioners,but i guess they are both "male and female actors"(your words not mine koh?)

as to your question,all of them were there trying to make something of the industry,what happened was when the alaba traders came on board,they gave the money to make movies to producers who were of same tribe,and that started the making of the thrash we r seeing now,not only that they put pressure on these producers to turn their money over and return the capitals and gains because remember they are traders,it got to a stage where they wer making movies in less than a week,sell for the first 1/2 weeks and make their money and the movie is dumped for another one.
after a while the traders imposed their own families who knew nothing about the industry on the professionals(note not just yoruba but ibo professionals as well)and thats where the whole thing started going on a downwards spiral,
that was when these prestigious "male and FEMALE ACTORS"either joined them in making these horrible movies or go hungry,

Dude try to learn something new sometimes, i believe that's the essence of this very site

Actors is a general term for theatrical performers (male or female) and the females are sometimes called "actresses" but the feminists find the term sexist. check oxford dictionary for reference

So stop being a dumbass by trying to correct me in that funny way. tongue
You're even finding it difficult to understand your very self, then how do you expect others to understand you?
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by lucabrasi(m): 5:07pm On May 06, 2008
artiste Show phonetics

noun [C]
a skilled entertainer especially a dancer, singer or actor:
sorce;http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=4185&dict=CALD

that is what i used and that has shown the word i used to describe them actually exist ,so what realli are you on about and what are you teaching??
i dont want to know what actors mean,and u actually said it in a funny way as if i was using a non existent word, pls stick to the main and dont correct me because you have zero point realli,like i said i dont want to go into the whole insults thing as i honestly cant be bovered,if you dont understand wat artise(got d spelling wrong)or dont have the foggiest idea it even exist,then u r the one who needs schooling not me, i dont see anyone saying they dont understand me apart from you trying to do i too know grin
if i decide to contribute in pidgin english,that i dont understand a single word will i be arrested or have i committed one sin??if not wats ur point, stop the oversabi and contribute to the discussion or walk on by and leave me alone, not onli actors and actresses,u ll see osuofia in london and papi luwe next grin
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Uche2nna(m): 5:09pm On May 06, 2008
sheniqua:

Beats me

@ romeo

Nwanna, take am easy grin
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by sheniqua: 5:13pm On May 06, 2008
Nollywood could be better
so is hollywood.
That industry has given steady earning potential to folks.
We never value what we have,everybody has plans of how to perfect other people's jobs
monday morning quarterbacks.
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by romeo(m): 5:15pm On May 06, 2008
lucabrasi:

artiste Show phonetics

noun [C]
a skilled entertainer especially a dancer, singer or actor:
sorce;http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=4185&dict=CALD

that is what i used and that has shown the word i used to describe them actually exist ,so what realli are you on about and what are you teaching??
i don't want to know what actors mean,and u actually said it in a funny way as if i was using a non existent word, please stick to the main and don't correct me because you have zero point realli,like i said i don't want to go into the whole insults thing as i honestly can't be bovered,if you don't understand what artise(got d spelling wrong)or don't have the foggiest idea it even exist,then you're the one who needs schooling not me, i don't see anyone saying they don't understand me apart from you trying to do i too know grin
if i decide to contribute in pidgin english,that i don't understand a single word will i be arrested or have i committed one sin??if not wats your point, stop the oversabi and contribute to the discussion or walk on by and leave me alone, not onli actors and actresses,u ll see osuofia in london and papi luwe next grin

dude you were not saying "artiste" but "artis" in all your previous posts grin grin
I was actually making a joke with that "artis" thing, because when i was a kid i was calling them artis like you cheesy cheesy

Uche2nna:

Beats me

@ romeo

Nwanna, take am easy grin

i dey take am easy ohhh cheesy cheesy
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by sheniqua: 5:16pm On May 06, 2008
romeo:

dude you were not saying "artiste" but "artis" in all your previous posts grin grin
I was actually making a joke with that "artis" thing, because when i was a kid i was calling them artis like you cheesy cheesy

i dey take am easy ohhh cheesy cheesy

I saw you made fun of his spelling error but now you have a full English tutorial with handout sef
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by romeo(m): 5:17pm On May 06, 2008
sheniqua:

damn!!! grin grin grin grin
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by sheniqua: 5:20pm On May 06, 2008
talking from both sides of the mouth means im not biased and im all for the best getting the job,if u read my contributions apart from the culture one,i said there were professionals of all tribes and i mentioned amaka igwe who im sure is ibo,and i was always on the side of professionalism but while tryn to reply a comment i side tracked and went into the whole culture thing,that has always been my stance.
the reason why ibo keeps coming up on the thread is because the marketers happen to be ibo,an example is the reason why hausas keep being blamed for nigeria is not because they are the only politicians but because they are in the majority, hope my analogy explains it a little clearer

Is that the modern definition?
kai menene!
I've really lost touch with naija
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Dreloaded(f): 5:20pm On May 06, 2008
sheniqua:

Nolly wood could be better
so is hollywood.
That industry has given steady potential to folks.
We never value what we have,everybody has plans of how to perfect other people's jobs

value what? Value what can't be shown at international film festivals? only in hairshops being watched by idle Jamaicans and Senegalese?
This is why the country will NOT, not even "cannot" progress. People are mentioning the many things that can be done in regards to the industry, you are busy screaming that we should just accept what we have and not hope to make it better so real industries will take us seriously.

Dont know why people who claim they don't even warthog the movies or know anything about the industries are even yapping their mouths. Let those of us who care discuss and go look for tribal fights elsewhere. When their king IPBM is roaming around, you'll never see them. Shio.
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by sheniqua: 5:25pm On May 06, 2008
D-reloaded:

value what? Value what can't be shown at international film festivals? only in hairshops being watched by idle jamicans and seneglese?
This is why the country will NOT, not even "cannot" progress. People are mentioning the many things that can be done in regards to the insustry, you are busy screaming that we should jsut accept what we have and not hope to make it better so real insutries will take us seriously.

Dont know why opeople who cliam they don't even wathc the movies or know abnything about the industries are even yapping their mouths. Let those of us who care discuss and go look for tribal fights elsewhere. When their king IPBM is roaming around, you'll never see them. Shio.

Who cares the fried fish what is shown at amadioha festivals ? grin
The industry is thriving
It is known Africa wide and beyond
If you have ways to make it better why not contact Sanga and the rest of them at Upper Iweka grin
My responses were mainly to the folks that started spewing their hatred for Igbos under the guise of bashing nollywood.
Most of those folks are richer than you and me and that's a testament that they have a market

you and your secret love for IPBM.
You're calling him again
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by romeo(m): 5:29pm On May 06, 2008
sheniqua:

Who cares the fried fish what is shown at amadioha festivals ? grin
The industry is thriving
It is known Africa wide and beyond
If you have ways to make it better why not contact Sanga and the rest of them at Upper Iweka grin
My responses were mainly to the folks that started spewing their hatred for Igbos under the guise of bashing nollywood.
Most of those folks are richer than you and me and that's a testament that they have a market

you and your secret love for IPBM.
You're calling him again

grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Current Nigerian Soap Operas / Actress Evanny Patrick Shows Creativity As She Shines In "No More Love" (video) / DOWNLOAD MOVIE: Black Adam (2022)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.