Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,486 members, 7,770,188 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:58 AM

Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years (129962 Views)

Nestlé Golden Morn Too Much Sugar / This Is What I Saw On The Golden Penny Spaghetti / Nestlé Responds To Golden Morn Discussion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by JallowBah(f): 7:28am On Oct 14, 2012
gfus:

Any reason?

My best friends mother worked for them in the 60`s. One of the reasons she quit, and the biggest one, was that they were trying to convince people in africa to rather spend their money on MME, than to give them their own mothermilk, because, according to nestlè, the women down in africa did not get enough nutritions trough their every-day food to pass to the babies via the milk.
And because I dont trust much things that have a expiry date two years ahead. Its been added things I would not added in my fresh food.
Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by otokx(m): 11:21am On Oct 14, 2012
nice thread
Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by justmenoni: 11:53am On Oct 14, 2012
this is very right,i could remember my son having difficulty when he needs to poo and the doctor confirmed their is a food he is taking causing it and after careful observation i discovered it was golden morn.
Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by kandiikane(m): 12:31pm On Oct 14, 2012
JallowBah:

...uhm. It is actually much for more healthy for the body and mind to get fresh vegetables in their food, than processed things that have been added so much that the expire-date is two years from now.

....Uhm, fresh vegetables? The vegetables that get cooked until all the nutrients and supplements disappear?
Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by JallowBah(f): 1:00pm On Oct 14, 2012
kandiikane:

....Uhm, fresh vegetables? The vegetables that get cooked until all the nutrients and supplements disappear?

That is called overcooking. You can also choose how long you wish to cook your vegetables, or even eat them raw.( I should not even have to tell you that, though. )

2 Likes

Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by modele2: 2:35pm On Oct 14, 2012
Same with Ribena. Its not suitable for children under two,but its only written on the imported ones. I wonder why the nigerian brand omitted it?
Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by pharmow: 2:47pm On Oct 14, 2012
I can't but try to contribute my quota to this thread. I worked in Quality Assurance dept of Nestle before leaving Naija, one thing I will like to tell mothers is that, Is not that Golden Morn is dangerous to the health of their babies but it is an all family cereal which means that unlike other infant cereal like cerelac and nutrend has not be enzymatically broken down. What am trying to say is that babies of age 1-3 do not have well developed digestive system as a result it will be harder for them to break it down. The same thing applies to all staple foods like rice, eba, amala, beans and other adult foods. What is advised for mothers is to breast feed their babies and supplement with infant cereals. Giving your baby above 3 yrs Golden Morn is even better than the staple foods cos is lighter.

5 Likes

Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by babybird82(f): 7:37pm On Oct 14, 2012
Thanks for the info OP. I almost had a panic attack when I read this cos my kids love golden morn. My son was weaned on golden morn and my daughter who just turned one 2 months ago is already in love with golden morn.

My findings:
There are two different types of golden morn in the market. We have the golden morn classic and the golden morn maize. The latter is the one with the age restrictions. Pls verify.
Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by lastpage: 9:42pm On Oct 14, 2012
jidegirl12: I know! She's almost 4 and she refused to eat meat chicken, turkey ( I've tried ground meat but she takes it out) since she was 2.

I've noticed recently a lot of carb makes her chubby ( unlike others) and she drinks a lot of milk too. She doesn't like amala and co, I'm taking her to a nutritionist next month, just thot I should ask here for meal ideas since they're talking bout food, lol

I am a Vegetarian too........even more than that your cute baby! kiss kiss

I dont eat chicken at all (all of a sudden o!) but l still like/eat Ponmo, Shaaki, Cow-tail and Bookootoo (Cow-leg)! shocked shocked

..and the only vegetable l can eat is Pumpkin leaves!

(shakes head and sinks teeth into his cow-leg!)

Lastpage!
Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by mamagee3(f): 3:01am On Oct 15, 2012
I miss that cereal so freaking much. . .

Remember the good old days when I used to take it every morning.
Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by thaira(f): 9:09am On Oct 15, 2012
Seun:
And then when he grows up you'll wonder why he's short and not as smart as his peers.

Actually I'm giving him the best of nutrition and also helping him appreciate a wide range of foods. I gave him gerber, organics, formula and all sorts of jar foods but when i go online and read about the stuff these companies are accused of, I just had to think homemade. So I puree fruits and vegs for him in addition to the amala and veg. Right now at well-baby checks, he's in the 9th percentile.
Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by Seun(m): 9:19am On Oct 15, 2012
thaira: Actually I'm giving him the best of nutrition and also helping him appreciate a wide range of foods. I gave him gerber, organics, formula and all sorts of jar foods but when i go online and read about the stuff these companies are accused of, I just had to think homemade. So I puree fruits and vegs for him in addition to the amala and veg. Right now at well-baby checks, he's in the 9th percentile so take your opinion and stuff it up your you-know-what.
It's not about variety. Growing kids need protein. A variety of starches and roughages isn't sufficient.
Actually, 9th percentile means bottom 9%, but I know you mean top 9%. Maybe he was meant to be the next Albert Einstein!
Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by onyejiuwau: 4:29pm On Oct 15, 2012
Yes, "GOLDEN MORN is not an infant cereal. Not suitable for children below 3 years of age". I saw it now. Mothers beware.
Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by thaira(f): 9:49pm On Oct 16, 2012
Seun:
It's not about variety. Growing kids need protein. A variety of starches and roughages isn't sufficient.
Actually, 9th percentile means bottom 9%, but I know you mean top 9%. Maybe he was meant to be the next Albert Einstein!

Ok, now I know where you're coming from. He takes meat (mashed), fish and eggs (he loves eggs). But that comment meant to show I believe some of these legislations on what to feed at what age don't work. Yes I meant 90th percentile. Albert Einstein? Ha!
Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by adorable29(f): 6:22am On Oct 17, 2012
free2ryhme:

it has bin there ever since .. maybe you are one of those ignorant buyers who does not take time to read labels or content package/pack

U don't hav to be rude! D mentality 4 most mothers in naija is dat golden morn is 4 kiddies! So its not unusual to feed our toddlers with d cereal(witout readin d label). Its such a common food! U я right though. Am goin to start readin d every print in every packaged consumable frm now hence forth*phew*
Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by Nobody: 4:09am On Oct 20, 2012
lastpage:

I am a Vegetarian too........even more than that your cute baby! kiss kiss

I dont eat chicken at all (all of a sudden o!) but l still like/eat Ponmo, Shaaki, Cow-tail and Bookootoo (Cow-leg)! shocked shocked

..and the only vegetable l can eat is Pumpkin leaves!

(shakes head and sinks teeth into his cow-leg!)

Lastpage!

Lol, so what protein do you eat cos you know those ponmo & co are not.

Got the 4 legs and
all the inside(shaki&co) from the farm last night for free.. And the whole cow cost $1400 !

I'm trying my best .
Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by Tgirl4real(f): 5:51am On Oct 20, 2012
jidegirl12:

Lol, so what protein do you eat cos you know those ponmo & co are not.

Got the 4 legs and
all the inside(shaki&co) from the farm last night for free.. And the whole cow cost $1400 !

I'm trying my best .

How can u eat all the inside and co and still claim to be a vegetarian? I'm sure Lastpage is just fooling around. grin

1 Like

Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by Peterwins(m): 1:52pm On Oct 23, 2012
This is not a smear campaign against Nestle. In fact Food and drug companies globally usually go through these issues because of new scientific discoveries that makes some of their products unsuitable for further consumption or use. Hence the need for modification or total withdrawal of the product from the market depending on the seriousness of the country's food and drug regulators.

We should remember that sometime ago NAFDAC stopped bakeries from using potassium bromate and saccharine in bread production. Bakers started placing on their respective bread labels - BROMATE AND SACCHARINE FREE. Before this regulation came, how many Nigerians have been eating bread containing bromate and saccharine!!!

PFIZER (the multi-national drug manufacturer) almost got away from paying compensation to Nigerian ( about 200 or more children) victims after it administered its drug (TROVAFLOXACIN). Some of these children died in the "experiment" while others developed mental and physical deformities. Guess what? Pfizer denied these claims and even tried to blackmail some of our government officials over this issue.

Nestle should do the needful and stop being economical with the truth. It is how these issues are handled that really matters. Some of these "mistakes" are a result of professional negligence and the lacklustre stance of some of the regulators in Nigeria. Imagine if this issue happened in the USA. The FDA won't take it lightly.

Who knows? This matter may not end here.
Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by Seun(m): 8:22pm On Oct 23, 2012
Hello Peterwins. Thanks for your comment on Nestlé Golden Morn. I’m Iquo Ukoh from Nestlé Nigeria.

We apologise for the confusion caused by the information which was added to the product label in June, 2012. The product was labelled as “Golden Morn is not an infant cereal. Not suitable for children below 3 years” as a precautionary measure because it is not formulated as an infant or weaning cereal.

We have decided to modify the label to avoid any further inconvenience. We continue to clearly mention it is not an infant cereal.

We always communicate information that help consumers make informed purchasing decision and we encourage our consumers to choose a variety of foods to meet daily nutritional requirements.

Here's a follow-up statement from Nestle addressing the reason for the label change:
In our efforts to improve the information we provide on our packaging, we decided to change the statement in June 2012, which coincided with a packaging and recipe change we have done on Nestlé Golden Morn to make your favorite cereal more nutritious and delicious. And we are delighted to inform you that Nestlé Golden Morn is now fortified with iron and vitamin A.

Nestlé would like to assure you that Golden Morn is a nutritious cereal that is absolutely good to consume by adults and children as part of a varied diet and is produced from best quality Maize and Soya grains however it’s not developed for infants because it’s not an infant nor weaning cereal.

Be rest assured that the primary concern of Nestlé is to provide their valued consumers with the best quality , nutritious and delicious food.

For further enquiry please contact our Consumer Services line on 01-7940425

www.nairaland.com/1081282/nestlé-responds-golden-morn-discussion
Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by adorable29(f): 9:08pm On Oct 24, 2012
Seun:

Here's a follow-up statement from Nestle addressing the reason for the label change:

www.nairaland.com/1081282/nestlé-responds-golden-morn-discussion

Still not clear! Pls explain better. Mothers who b4 now has bn givin it to their babies below 3, they yearn 4 a better explaination. Does it hav any adverse effect? Both long and short term! Is it because it doesn't hav enough nutritional values 4 babies? Etc! Wat exactly is d issue? Thank you!
Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by ebukaezeh(m): 10:42am On Feb 10, 2013
Can sum1 gain weight by eating/drinking golden morn as breakfast, as a teenager?
Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by naijainfogalery: 11:37am On Jan 01, 2015
Golden Morn was introduced in Nigeria more than 24 years ago.

http://www.nigerianfoods.com/products/golden-morn?variant=953553197
Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by chuckdeni(m): 9:31am On Sep 10, 2015
There is nothing like that written on Golden Morn pack. I have checked the small size and the big size. Pls, Can somebody photograph where they wrote it that Golden Morn is not for children under 3 years ? My son of 1 year and 4 months should eat golden morn. That is what i think. So, if I am wrong, I need proofs.
Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by tolesky(m): 8:58am On Aug 02, 2017
Coldfeet:
Nobody is saying Gmorn is bad its just not adviceable to feed it to babies!! Just like you'll find on most pasturized milk the warning that says LIKE COWS MILK THIS PRODUCT HAS NOT BEEN MORDIFIED FOR INFANT FEEDING!!! And still people give them to their babies, also the warning on tobacco yet there many 80yr old smokers around! Feed your babies gmorn if you like but know this if something goes wrong with your baby as a result of gmorn feeding Nestle already got their defence! THEY PLACED A WARNING!!!!!! GOLDEN MORN IS NOT AN INFANT CEREAL (incase you don't know the defination of infant google is dia) NOT SUITABLE FOR CHILDREN BELOW 3 years of age. There is a good reason why the health ministry made sure that warning is placed on the pack.

Where did you see this or how can you justify your claim apart from your speculations ?
Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by Coldfeet(f): 6:56pm On Aug 07, 2017
tolesky:

Where did you see this or how can you justify your claim apart from your speculations ?
Lolz how old is this thread sef? Nestle has modified their warning or rather removed it I guess they wanted to cash in on our naive minds. Take time to read through the thread you'd see it's NOT MY SPECULATION! As many others testified to it and even a Nestle rep came here to clear the air.
Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by Idomolola: 1:38pm On Jun 15, 2019
My opinion, many mothers are lazy and find comfort in giving instant food to their children,pls y do we av to elongate d Golden morn cereal discussion wen expert warns not to be consumed by children under d age of 3

http://eatrightnigeria.com/2018/03/19/golden-morn-complan-milk-not-good-for-babies-under-3-years/

Also do we mothers need to wait until we start seeing unhealthy signs from our children b4 we believe it unhealthy for them.
Even daycare's and Nannie's that do recommend Golden morn cereal for infant sud be aware .
Mothers Pls don't let us wait until our enemies have a residence in hospital bed before we knw d danger that might be involved. Pls Thank you and God bless .
Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by oladapotk: 8:01pm On Dec 30, 2019
Check above dispose properly icon on the sachet pack its clearly written..

Check my picture..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Traditional Wedding Cakes! / Never Knew There Was Meat In My Compound During This Lockdown / Fisherman Kills Sea Lion With Spear In Adada, Rivers State (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.