Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,784 members, 7,810,045 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:17 PM

Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor (58701 Views)

Is It Wrong To Call The Name Of Jesus During Sex? / TB Joshua Returns N500,000 Tithe To Elderly Woman / Stop Financing Pastor's Extravagant Lifestyle With Your Tithe! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 6:48pm On Oct 17, 2012
Mcdondayan:
How?

Try to read what i have said so far about it . . .With due respect.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Tolaaaaannni(f): 6:49pm On Oct 17, 2012
Fhemmmy:

I can understand where you are coming from, but we dont have to be in a church where we dont agree with their doctrine or lifestyle of the pastor

It is not about eithics but laid down principle . . if i think that that church has too much and i dont agree with the pastor driving around in poshy rides and flying in private jets, then, i will leave the church and go where i will blv in what they are doing, but for sure will make sure that my tithe is paid in the right way and right mind too.

Ok so let me get this straight, Are you trying to say that if a pastor is poor it means he teaches the right doctrine. Because their are tons of poor pastors out there in the world who collect tithes and don't give money to the needy out of the tithe. Again Ethics is the main topic here.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by IfyAwazie(f): 6:52pm On Oct 17, 2012
2buff: '

My brother you lack serious understanding.
So from what you have said, you feel giving to the poor is not giving to God?

Read your bible, specifically deutoronomy, and understand what tithing is.

You are essentially saying you see a brother or sister suffering and starving and then you tell him "sorry the only money I have here is my tithe and I am going to put it in church".
WHO DO YOU THINK GOD CARES THE MOST FOR?
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Orikinla(m): 6:52pm On Oct 17, 2012
You give alms to the poor and tithes to your church for missionary work salvation.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 6:53pm On Oct 17, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:

Ok so let me get this straight, Are you trying to say that if a pastor is poor it means he teaches the right doctrine. Because their are tons of poor pastors out there in the world who collect tithes and don't give money to the needy out of the tithe. Again Ethics is the main topic here.

That is not my word at all, poor pastor and rich pastor, pastor is a pastor . . .
What we are talking about here to just obey the bible if you blv in it, obey the Quran if you blv in it, and obey the deities if you blv in it, but once you chose what you blv in, you have to follow the principle.
Again, it is not up to me to care what the church do with the money, it is up to God to show them pepper, cos He never waste His resources.
besides, the money was never mine, it is of the Lord, and He only chose to give me . . .
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Nobody: 6:54pm On Oct 17, 2012
Iolo: No one has answered any of my questions sad

If the Bible clearly instructs Priest (the Pastor) not to own property, why are our Pastors of today contravening this?

The law made nothing perfect : Minister are led differently in this dispensation of Grace. In line with the word you quoted, I will interpret it that ministers are suppose to own as little as possible, so as not to be corrupted by the vanities of the world.
The church buildings, schools and assets are suppose to be in the name of the LORD. You are right brother, the scripture cannot be broken, twisted, but interpreted with a face of Grace.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by georgee07(m): 6:54pm On Oct 17, 2012
Yes, verrrrrrry wrong! Tithe is 10% of ur income rite?. D bible is very clear where u r to pay ur tithe--d house of God. Woteva happens to it is left to God to judge. Take out of D REMAINING 90% to help d poor. Obedience is better dan sacrifice.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 6:55pm On Oct 17, 2012
georgee07: Yes, verrrrrrry wrong! Tithe is 10% of ur income rite?. D bible is very clear where u r to pay ur tithe--d house of God. Woteva happens to it is left to God to judge. Take out of D REMAINING 90% to help d poor. Obedience is better dan sacrifice.

Yesssssssssss
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by kpozite(m): 6:59pm On Oct 17, 2012
@ OP thank you for this enlightenment this issue has been bugging me for quite some time at least now I know better. The way some pastors emphasize this tithe issue I can't express completely, makes me begin to feel it's only and all about the tithe.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Femsyn(m): 7:00pm On Oct 17, 2012
For me, I care less of what anybody says and I am not here to quote the scriptures. Now, christians are expected to pay 10% of their earnings as tithes... Ok! Agreed!! But how many pple can beat their chests and say they pay the mathematical 10% of their "earnings". Some peeps earn far more than their monthly salaries, yet give 10% of their official salaries. We are all guilty in this aspect.
However, I will not! And I repeat, will not see a fellow brother wailing and wallowing in poverty and yet decide to give a so-called 10% to an already fat pastor. If the church falls in this category, then ofcourse why not. But Tithing is not the exclusive right of the church!!
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Nobody: 7:02pm On Oct 17, 2012
tithe was not meant to go to the poor, though when you tithe the poor also become part of your good deed of tithing. The good example to use here is the government, when people pay tax in most of the well organized and developed nations, the tax you pay helps the government to take care of the needs of the government, and also from this tax money, a certain percentage is take off by the government, so that it may help the less fortunate and the poor people in that nation, by providing them with a system called welfare, that takes care of the poor through housing them and helping them financially, until they are able to support themselves.
Now, the same thing applies to the principle of tithing.
When God anoints people that are supposed to be your spiritual parents or leaders, part of their vision is to take care of the poor, and through the anointing upon their ministry God reveals to them which kind of poor people that needs that spiritual help and financial aid,so that the giving to the poor is not only the feeding of their physical needs or lusts, but it also has a spiritual purpose which is very important, and that's the redemption of their souls from an evil lifestyle.
When you work and pay tax, this also gives you a legal right as a citizen in that nation, but if you work and refuse to pay tax, you become a thief and a law breaker, and according to the law, you belong behind bars.
So your tithe makes you a citizen with legal rights into God's vision. Hebrews 7:1-2 says that Abraham gave the tithe of all to Melchezidek, prince of peace, and in return he received a blessing (empowered to prosper).
Notice! The scripture did not say that he gave the tithe to the poor.

So it is with this principle of tithing, when you tithe, your tithe being your identity, also your tithe being your strength, your energy, your ideas, your honour and support towards God's kingdom (God's vision, God's will and God's spiritual parenthood) for your life.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 7:02pm On Oct 17, 2012
Femsyn: For me, I care less of what anybody says and I am not here to quote the scriptures. Now, christians are expected to pay 10% of their earnings as tithes... Ok! Agreed!! But how many pple can beat their chests and say they pay the mathematical 10% of their "earnings". Some peeps earn far more than their monthly salaries, yet give 10% of their official salaries. We are all guilty in this aspect.
[/b]However, I will not! And I repeat, will not see a fellow brother wailing and wallowing in poverty and yet decide to give a so-called 10% to an already fat pastor. If the church falls in this category, then ofcourse why not. But Tithing is not the exclusive right of the church!!

[b]This is not what the discussion is about.
And i like the fact that you are personalizing it . . . what you gave to the poor is not your tithe or do you give the entire 10% to the poor?
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by dunmorris(m): 7:04pm On Oct 17, 2012
Here Is The Direct answer to The Above Post When You Have Finished Setting Aside a Tenth of all Your Produce in The third Year, The Year Of the Tithe , You Shall Give It To The Levite, alien, the Fatherless and The Widow, so That They May Eat In Your Towns And Be Satisfied. Deut 26:12

Then you Can Give 5naira to Pastor Chris grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Tolaaaaannni(f): 7:04pm On Oct 17, 2012
Fhemmmy:

That is not my word at all, poor pastor and rich pastor, pastor is a pastor . . .
What we are talking about here to just obey the bible if you blv in it, obey the Quran if you blv in it, and obey the deities if you blv in it, but once you chose what you blv in, you have to follow the principle.
Again, it is not up to me to care what the church do with the money, it is up to God to show them pepper, cos He never waste His resources.
besides, the money was never mine, it is of the Lord, and He only chose to give me . . .

Interesting you feel that way, because some people might argue that the bible can be translated in different ways, and that it all depends on the way a person views it. Meaning that where it says "giving my tithe to the house of God" can mean different things to different people. For some people it can mean literally giving your tithe to the HOUSE of God. For others it might mean basically giving because of God, in which you can point out to giving to the needy as such. Again ethics comes into place here. Would you rather give to the building; bricks, sand, stone, or would you rather give to an actual body. It will all come down to YOU. All I know is that If I see someone out there In need and I am in the place to help, I won't tell them "Oh I'm sorry sir/ma but I have to go give this money to the church".

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 7:08pm On Oct 17, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:

Interesting you feel that way, because some people might argue that the bible can be translated in different ways, and that it all depends on the way a person views it. Meaning that where it says "giving my tithe to the house of God" can mean different things to different people. For some people it can mean literally giving your tithe to the HOUSE of God. For others it might mean basically giving because of God, in which you can point out to giving to the needy as such. Again ethics comes into place here. Would you rather give to the building, bricks, sand, stone, or would you rather give to an actual body. It will all come down to YOU. All I know is that If I see someone out there In need and I am in the place to help, I won't tell them "Oh I'm sorry sir/ma but I have to go give this money to the church".

Then you will have to follow whatever translations that it meant to you, not necessarily mine, and that was why i said it is what you blv and the principle, again, when i see someone that is poor and needed, i will give them what i have but wont give them my tithe, cos that is not what my tithe is for . . . but i do understand what you saying, however, you are yet to answer me, when you give the poor your tithe this money, who will give that same needy person their tithe next week, and do you give that poor the 10% of your income or just part of it and why not give them the entire things and when you dont give entire thing, what happened to the rest of the 10%, give another poor or you keep it for God?

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 7:10pm On Oct 17, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:

Interesting you feel that way, because some people might argue that the bible can be translated in different ways, and that it all depends on the way a person views it. Meaning that where it says "giving my tithe to the house of God" can mean different things to different people. For some people it can mean literally giving your tithe to the [b]HOUSE of God. For others it might mean basically giving because of God[/b], in which you can point out to giving to the needy as such. Again ethics comes into place here. Would you rather give to the building; bricks, sand, stone, or would you rather give to an actual body. It will all come down to YOU. All I know is that If I see someone out there In need and I am in the place to help, I won't tell them "Oh I'm sorry sir/ma but I have to go give this money to the church".

If we really wanna get nitty gritty, i am sure we all knows what a house of God meant, Church, fellowship, mosque or anywhere we deem as where we serve and worship God . . . i know that we human try to be politically correct, but facts remain facts
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by esilove(m): 7:11pm On Oct 17, 2012
Logicboy03: Jesus said give to the poor.

I agree.

Help the needy, tithe to those who need it if you can.
d bible said (Malachi 3:8-down)..........bring all tithe to d store house of God. D phrase store house of God means d church tithe is for d priests not d beggers, rmember d amount to pay as tithe is specified i.e. Ten pcent. There other types of offerings such as free will off, sacrificial off, but u give d poor free will off i.e. Any amt from ur mind. If u are giving ur tithe to d poor u are not paying tithe rather u are robbing God. Malachi 3:8 pay ur tithe to ur church
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Tolaaaaannni(f): 7:14pm On Oct 17, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Then you will have to follow whatever translations that it meant to you, not necessarily mine, and that was why i said it is what you blv and the principle, again, when i see someone that is poor and needed, i will give them what i have but wont give them my tithe, cos that is not what my tithe is for . . . but i do understand what you saying, however, you are yet to answer me, when you give the poor your tithe this money, who will give that same needy person their tithe next week, and do you give that poor the 10% of your income or just part of it and why not give them the entire things and when you dont give entire thing, what happened to the rest of the 10%, give another poor or you keep it for God?

Easy answer. If I give the poor my tithe, I have done my part. It is up to that person to use that money and help themeselves out. If they want to spend it lavishly they can go ahead, and if they want to invest with that money then they can do just that. I don't see why you are asking me, who will give them the next money like I am suppose to know. All I know is that I will give the needy my tithe if it comes down to it (Meaning all 10%, not 5% not 8% but 10). And that's because I actually have a heart that beats and a soul. Doesn't exactly mean I have to give my tithe to the church, I can pay my tithe by giving to the poor, which can actually be classified as doing God's work. Since I'm blessing the person with the money that God gave to me.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Nobody: 7:15pm On Oct 17, 2012
The poor don't remain poor, they pray for their fortune to change and thus happen for some ; But the house of the LORD is a dedicated channel through which we can pay our tithes to GOD
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by manosteel(m): 7:17pm On Oct 17, 2012
One thing i believe is that one tenth of our income belongs to God, and should be given back to God. You can use it to build a house of God, give to the people in need, give to God's servant etc. Abraham gave his tithe to d priest of most High.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by mu2sa2: 7:18pm On Oct 17, 2012
Doesn't the pastor collects the tithe on behalf of God and spend it on His behalf?
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 7:20pm On Oct 17, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:

Easy answer. If I give the poor my tithe, I have done my part. It is up to that person to use that money and help themeselves out. If they want to spend it lavishly they can go ahead, and if they want to invest with that money then they can do just that. I don't see why you are asking me, who will give them the next money like I am suppose to know. All I know is that I will give the needy my tithe if it comes down to it (Meaning all 10%, not 5% not 8% but 10). And that's because I actually have a heart that beats and a soul. Doesn't exactly mean I have to give my tithe to the church, I can pay my tithe by giving to the poor, which can actually be classified as doing God's work. Since I'm blessing the person with the money that God gave to me.

So if you make 2M Naira a month and you see a poor person, you will give then 200,000 Naira?
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by martin123: 7:20pm On Oct 17, 2012
Malachi 3:10 (KJV)
10Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

In my own opinion, the Bible said in the scripture above, that we should bring it into the store house of the lord, so where will you regard as the store house of God? The Church of course
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by amblors(m): 7:22pm On Oct 17, 2012
TITHE threads every week now, if you want to pay ur tithe pay, if u no want, pocket am, if u want to give it out, go ahead, finish story.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Tolaaaaannni(f): 7:23pm On Oct 17, 2012
Fhemmmy:

So if you make 2M Naira a month and you see a poor person, you will give then 200,000 Naira?

If I make 2million naira a month and I see a person that is obviously IN NEED and cannot help themselves. You see that I said "In need and cannot help themselves" meaning not some lazing bum on the street that doesn't want to work. But someone that can't help the situation that they are in. Then absolutely I will give them 200,000 naira no doubt, or even more!
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Mcdondayan: 7:28pm On Oct 17, 2012
Fhemmmy:

This is not what the discussion is about.
And i like the fact that you are personalizing it . . . [b]what you gave to the poor is not your tithe or do you give the entire 10% to the poor?
[/b]
Thats my question. If I decide to give the entire 10% to the poor, those whom i know to be really poor, is it wrong?
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Mcdondayan: 7:32pm On Oct 17, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:

If I make 2million naira a month and I see a person that is obviously IN NEED and cannot help themselves. You see that I said "In need and cannot help themselves" meaning not some lazing bum on the street that doesn't want to work. But someone that can't help the situation that they are in. Then absolutely I will give them 200,000 naira no doubt, or even more!
My point is not just seeing anybody on the road and giving your tithe, i mean going out to look for the poorest of the poor who may not even know who you are and helping them enrich their lives with your tithe.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 7:33pm On Oct 17, 2012
Mcdondayan:
Thats my question. If I decide to give the entire 10% to the poor, those whom i know to be really poor, is it wrong?

Not wrong at all and yet, that is not tithe, but alms
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Tolaaaaannni(f): 7:34pm On Oct 17, 2012
Mcdondayan:
My point is not just seeing anybody on the road and giving your tithe, i mean going out to look for the poorest of the poor who may not even know who you are and helping them enrich their lives with your tithe.

Sir I already answered your question by saying It isn't wrong to do that (Well at least, not in my book it isn't) I was Just answering the other guys question who asked me if i would give 200,000 to a poor person if i have 2 million naira.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 7:34pm On Oct 17, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:

Interesting and how come i think it is easier said than done . . .
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by AZeD1(m): 7:35pm On Oct 17, 2012
martin123: Malachi 3:10 (KJV)
10Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

In my own opinion, the Bible said in the scripture above, that we should bring it into the store house of the lord, so where will you regard as the store house of God? The Church of course
Malachi is in the old testament and that time, the church was where the ark of the covenant was placed. Please tell me where the ark of the covenant is today.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Tolaaaaannni(f): 7:35pm On Oct 17, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Interesting and how come i think it is easier said than done . . .

To you it might be, but to me it is life. Because I already give majority of my money to the needy anyways. Like I said it will all come down to the type of person you are. If you are the type of person that hold on to your money it might be difficult, but if you are the type of person that does not put much importance on money then it will be easy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Why A Christian Girl Converted To Islam (Photo) / Mark Zuckerberg Is Not An Atheist? / Prophetic Picture Of The 2016 By D.K OLUKOYA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.