Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,366 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:42 PM

Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor (58747 Views)

Is It Wrong To Call The Name Of Jesus During Sex? / TB Joshua Returns N500,000 Tithe To Elderly Woman / Stop Financing Pastor's Extravagant Lifestyle With Your Tithe! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Nobody: 11:02pm On Oct 17, 2012
I never pay tithe to any pastor b4 instead I dey help the needy around yet Baba God dey bless me nyafu nyafu...
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Ashmark(m): 11:05pm On Oct 17, 2012
How many of you real give money that worth 10% of your income to the poor?
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 11:06pm On Oct 17, 2012
PortHarcourtBoy: I never pay tithe to any pastor b4 instead I dey help the needy around yet Baba God dey bless me nyafu nyafu...

Devil too blesses . . . In his own way though tongue
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 11:06pm On Oct 17, 2012
Ashmark: How many of you real give money that worth 10% of your income to the poor?

Great question / / /
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Boomark(m): 11:08pm On Oct 17, 2012
plappville:

Then keep praying for God to show you where/how you should pay your tithe. Until He reveals it to you, the poor will be glad to recieve it grin

of course! They should be in the priority list. According to Mt 25:37-40 and according to the new covenant with Christ.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Malocity(m): 11:08pm On Oct 17, 2012
From my own view, its nt wrong giving ur tithe to the poor bt...from the begining tithe was alocated to the Levites(Priest). Becus they ar nt expectd to work much jst as we are.

tithes are meant to be paid into d church and if the church decides to use it in helping the poor, fine. Bt if nt that is where the priest feed from (tithe) especially those that are nt yet financialy strong.

4 u to use ur tithe to gve 2 d poor, is part of goodnes bt nt adhearing 2 instructn. Tnx 4rm malocity!
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by AZeD1(m): 11:10pm On Oct 17, 2012
Ashmark: How many of you real give money that worth 10% of your income to the poor?
Did the widow in the temple give 10%?
Try explaining what this part of the bible means especially the bolded

2cor 9:7
Every man according to his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity, for God loves a cheerful giver.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by plappville(f): 11:12pm On Oct 17, 2012
thelastPope:

2 issues here:

Malachi didn't say bring tithes to the temple. He said to the storehouse. The storehouse is not the temple. They were warehouses built in the major cities for storing food crops.

This verse was never written to the new testament believer. If you obey this verse, then you have to obey every other law like keeping the sabbath.

thank you for this well spoken truth.
matt 5:18 I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

If this verse validate the tithe law why not the others that they claim Christ nailed to the cross? "NOT THE SMALLEST"
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by wisdomolusola: 11:14pm On Oct 17, 2012
Bring ye all the title into my store house.............
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by thelastPope(m): 11:15pm On Oct 17, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Consciously or unconsciously you have made a fundamental point! God's word is not vindicated by results. That something seemingly turn out right doesn't mean it is approved of God. Moses struck a rock instead of speaking to the rock as God commanded and the interesting thing is that while water still came out, God was angry with Moses and refused him entry to the promised land.

God requires obedience from us, not acting in sentiment and trying to please him our own way. If he says pay tithe, then we pay it. If he didn't say, then we don't pay. Anyone who does it for any other reason is on their own. As far as the new testament goes, God never asked us to pay tithe. If he wanted us to do it, he would have said so. He even asked us to give and asked us to do many other things to numerous to write down, but he never asked us to pay tithe. That's the truth of God's Word!

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by AZeD1(m): 11:17pm On Oct 17, 2012
Hebrews 7:4
Now consider how great this man was, unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils.

Abraham paid tithes from the spoils of war, not his money/wealth. You can read Hebrews 7 for more on the priesthood of Melchisedec and that of Jesus.

Matthew 6:33
But seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you.

If Jesus said the above, why then do i still have to pay tithes so that i can be "blessed"?

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by bonna4u(m): 11:18pm On Oct 17, 2012
thelastPope:

Is this the Word of God or your opinion or your pastors opinion?
Don't mind the yeye guy. From what I read from deu 22; tithing can be giving to the poor, widows, strangers among us and can also stand as a kind of love feast among brethens in the presence of the lord (when 2 or more are gathered in the name of the almighty God).
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by plappville(f): 11:22pm On Oct 17, 2012
cuteonyii: since we have so many bad roads, poor electricity, no good health..etc. and the gvnt is not doing much to better our lifes in the society. should we stop paying govnt tax and instead use the money to help the society as little and much as we can?

.....obedience is better than...what?

It is Good to obey all the Law. Wrong to select what to and what not to practice by twisting Apostle Pauls letters.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 11:24pm On Oct 17, 2012
thelastPope:

Consciously or unconsciously you have made a fundamental point! God's word is not vindicated by results. That something seemingly turn out right doesn't mean it is approved of God. Moses struck a rock instead of speaking to the rock as God commanded and the interesting thing is that while water still came out, God was angry with Moses and refused him entry to the promised land.

God requires obedience from us, not acting in sentiment and trying to please him our own way. If he says pay tithe, then we pay it. If he didn't say, then we don't pay. Anyone who does it for any other reason is on their own. As far as the new testament goes, God never asked us to pay tithe. If he wanted us to do it, he would have said so. He even asked us to give and asked us to do many other things to numerous to write down, but he never asked us to pay tithe. That's the truth of God's Word!

Very much true . . .
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by thelastPope(m): 11:24pm On Oct 17, 2012
Malocity: From my own view, its nt wrong giving ur tithe to the poor bt...from the begining tithe was alocated to the Levites(Priest). Becus they ar nt expectd to work much jst as we are.

tithes are meant to be paid into d church and if the church decides to use it in helping the poor, fine. Bt if nt that is where the priest feed from (tithe) especially those that are nt yet financialy strong.

4 u to use ur tithe to gve 2 d poor, is part of goodnes bt nt adhearing 2 instructn. Tnx 4rm malocity!

One thing I have realised is that God's people no longer study the scriptures. Bible study has been outsourced to "men of God" by most people. Please get a copy of the bible and read it. Pleeeaaassseee!

The priests and levites are not the same. The levites are a tribe. The priests are a family from the tribe, Aaron's family. The children of Israel never paid tithes to the priests, they paid tithes to the levites. It was the levites that were instructed to pay tithes from their own tithes, to the priests. The priests in the old testament never paid tithes.

The old testament priest is not the same as the new testament pastor or "man of God". Every Christian in the new testament is a priest.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by techlegs: 11:25pm On Oct 17, 2012
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by thelastPope(m): 11:31pm On Oct 17, 2012
Something strange just happened now. I tried to quote @techleg and my post overwrite his post. How did that happen? Hmmm! That's a serious bug!
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by mcsnup: 11:37pm On Oct 17, 2012
Goshen360: @ OP,

Even some false tithe teachers will tell you that when your neighbour is dying and a poor person need help so desperately, they will tell you you must still bring your tithe to the church. There is nothing like tithe to Christians in monetary form. If you have money and God speaks to your heart to help the poor, do it graciously and cheerfully. This way, you are an angel sent to another man.God will reward you.

If you also decide to give certain portion of your income to help the poor cheerfully, God bless you for such but it doesn't necessarily have to be 10%, it can be more or less or even vary from month to month. I have seen where it is written "God loves a cheerful giver" my brother but I am yet to read where it is written "God loves a cheerful tither" because tithe is "by force" but giving is "by grace, willingness and cheerfulness"......Glory to God!

And on the basis of this grace is were our salvation is, for now we do not live by the law but we live only by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone (Gal 3) the law is fulfilled in Christ for he said, I have not come to condemn the law but to fulfil it. So we do not live under the law but under grace, now in givin to the poor and needy the apostles encourage us not to forsake the poor among us, it is your responsiblity to give to the poor as lead by God, we give not because we expect a reward even though they are promised to every give but we give for the love of Christ for he commands that we have love for our neighbours just the way we do for ourselves, whatsoever you do to the least of my brothers same you do to me... I give not because i want to or because there is a promised blessing attached to given but because i can not quench the love in my heart

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by odohemma(m): 11:46pm On Oct 17, 2012
Fhemmmy:

It is not for you to worry about how much the pastor has, it is for you to obey what the bible said, if you are follower, but if you not a follower of the word,then, it is all good . . . so you mean you wont mind to give your "tithe" to the "needy pastor" that does not have enuf?

'...obey what the bible said...'? If you obey everything the bible said u won't be far off from a boko haram disciple. BTW, you sound like a desperate pastor.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by manmade(m): 11:51pm On Oct 17, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Thanks, but please read my post well . . There is a difference btw giving to the poor and your tithing to the storehouse . . just incase you could not read me well:
Tithing cant be given to the poor, cos that was not you were told to do with it, why not give your taxes to the poor, at least Nigeria is so rich already.
Gift: that is what you give to people, poor, rich - does not matter.
It is the classification that we talking about, not the moral behind it, hope you now understand me, the man that has lots of understand and able to know those that lacks it . . .
Now check ur post with the words of God as stated in Deut.14 and u will see that u've nt been reading your bible, i now undertand while pastors prefer making reference to the ambigous malachi 3 :10 instead of Deut.14.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 11:51pm On Oct 17, 2012
odohemma:
'...obey what the bible said...'? If you obey everything the bible said u won't be far off from a boko haram disciple. BTW, you sound like a desperate pastor.

If you gone thru all i have said, i am not perfect but there are some things that it is either white or black and not a grey area at all, and tithing is one of them. . . . Anyone could be a pastor, but not me, i am a business man . . .
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by manmade(m): 12:00am On Oct 18, 2012
Iolo: No one has answered any of my questions sad

If the Bible clearly instructs Priest (the Pastor) not to own property, why are our Pastors of today contravening this?
my brother, most of the brain washed and MOG worshipers will ignore this question or they tell u to let God judge him .
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 12:02am On Oct 18, 2012
manmade: Now check ur post with the words of God as stated in Deut.14 and u will see that u've nt been reading your bible, i now undertand while pastors prefer making reference to the ambimgous malachi 3 :10 instead of Deut.14.

Specify what part of the post . . . I never said i know it all oh, and that is why i am here daily to learn.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by manmade(m): 12:07am On Oct 18, 2012
Fhemmmy:

If i only have enuf to pay my tithe, i will pay the tithe not even if i need to give it to my mother to eat, cos i know that the God that i have been faithful to, will make a way for my mother to eat . . by the way, God always have His own way to meet the needs of us all.
BTW, if i give that "Tithe" of mine to the poor, what would that poor eat when he is done eating with my "tithe", another person's tithe?
Go and read the parable of the good samaritan and see what God has in stock for people like you.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 12:15am On Oct 18, 2012
manmade: Go and read the parable of the good samaritan and see what God has in stock for people like you.

People like me? Interesting.
The point here is what i have said from the start and it is what i am still saying that, it is good to do good, and if you look around, you will notice that Fhemmmy Motos always do his best to do his best, cos how could i love God i never see when i cant love those around me, however, the fact that you have refused to read from my comment is "MY TITHE IS NOT FOR ALMS, BUT TO GOD" but i will always make sure there is extra to help the needy.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by collinsn007(m): 12:44am On Oct 18, 2012
@fhemmmy u r d true son of ur Father in heaven God bless u as u kep helpin d ministry n spreadin d word of d Most High God @joagbale n others helpin d ministry God's blessins n 4 those dat r deceivin themselves wit bible quotes n their personal thinkin God help u 2 change OBEDIENCE IS D FIRST LAW IN HEAVEN even lucifer disobeyd n fell where is he 2day? In d world manipulatin minds of sinners am a catholic bt i strongly support any1 who promotes d ministry of God d bible says he who builds his house on sand will be washd away n he who builds his house on d solid rock will stand strong n remember he who hv ears let him hear remember judgement is near REPENT
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Rooneyboy(m): 12:49am On Oct 18, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Cos that was not the purpose for a tithe, what you have given to the poor is not the tithe, was a gift from you to the poor and not the tithe . . . what you have labelled a tithe, you know where to take it.
and what if I choose to give that "labelled" tithe to THE VERY POOR DYING IN ABJECT POVERTY IN MY MIDST as against the very wealthy billionaires with their private jets.
Truth be told, there's that level of fulfillment within me when I give to the EXTREMELY POOR
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by xremmy(m): 12:56am On Oct 18, 2012
This paying of tithe has actually turned some people to zombies. Heartless and selfish

One even said he would rather pay his tithe than give his mother the money to eat cos God will provide for her. Isn't that insane. Just so God can bless you, your mother can die of hunger.

Why do people believe that its what they do that keeps them alive and well. We live by Gods grace always.

The two greatest commands of Christ are

Mt 22:36 “[Jesus], which is the great commandment in the law?” And he said to him, ’You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets.”

Some of you are definately not practising christianity and I believe Christianity started with Christ. What you are practicing is your own selfish agenda .

‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Why is this so hard to understand?

Paying your tithe religiously from the day you were born till you die can never bring you close to the righteousness of people like Mother Theresa, Mama Ekundayo and others. Except you believe your salvation will be based on prosperity and wealth, rather than righteousness.

And for all of you shouting obedience, can you kindly list all the other commandments in the old testament that you follow to the letter, pls just list 2.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Rooneyboy(m): 12:57am On Oct 18, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Pls I would like to know if u are a pastor or u are working towards it? 'Cos as far as I know ur being on NL is only to make money, and u rarely(proof me wrong) comment on threads that are of no financial importance
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Rooneyboy(m): 1:05am On Oct 18, 2012
Fhemmmy:

People like me? Interesting.
The point here is what i have said from the start and it is what i am still saying that, it is good to do good, and if you look around,[b] you will notice that Fhemmmy Motos always do his best to do his best,
cos how could i love God i never see when i cant love those around me, however, the fact that you have refused to read from my comment is "MY TITHE IS NOT FOR ALMS, BUT TO GOD" but i will always make sure there is extra to help the needy.
[/b]

@ the bolded part.
U go further to buttress my point about ur insatiable quest for money.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 1:06am On Oct 18, 2012
Rooneyboy:
and what if I choose to give that "labelled" tithe to THE VERY POOR DYING IN ABJECT POVERTY IN MY MIDST as against the very wealthy billionaires with their private jets.
Truth be told, there's that level of fulfillment within me when I give to the EXTREMELY POOR

We have addressed this on one of the pages, however, just to say it again just in case you never read it . . . You are more than free to give your money to whoever you want, but does that change the concept in tithing?
If your beef is with the pastor that has jets and you would rather sit under a pastor with no shoes, by all means, you are free to - a church is never cult that you MUST be where you dont wanna be, feel free to worship and pay your "tithe" where you are happy that the pastor is hungry . . . however, the fact remains, a tithe is a tithe and alm is alm.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 1:08am On Oct 18, 2012
xremmy: This paying of tithe has actually turned some people to zombies. Heartless and selfish

One even said he would rather pay his tithe than give his mother the money to eat cos God will provide for her. Isn't that insane. Just so God can bless you, your mother can die of hunger.

I said it, so no need to use the 3rd party language here . . . I spoke with my mother pretty much often and her first question has always been, Son, are you faithful in your tithing? so i am glad i have a mother that understand and appreciates it, i was never a blver of tithing till i tried it and God has been great . . . tithe is tithe and no 2 ways about it . . . .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Prophetic Picture Of The 2016 By D.K OLUKOYA / Why A Christian Girl Converted To Islam (Photo) / "Pastor Poured Liquid In My Private Part"; Woman Injured After Deliverance. PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.