Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,427 members, 7,822,977 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:41 PM

Regional Parties:- A More Realistic Form Of Opposition. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Regional Parties:- A More Realistic Form Of Opposition. (906 Views)

N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole / Nigerian Political Parties, A Confirm Business Venture / Nigerian Political Parties (A Case Study Of PDP And APC)) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Regional Parties:- A More Realistic Form Of Opposition. by AZeD1(m): 1:58am On Oct 17, 2012
It is well known that there is no opposition in the country which is kind of a "requirement" for democracy. The closest we have to an one is the ACN which is seen as a regional party. Based on this lack of a formidable opposition, it can be said that the PDP will rule Nigeria for the foreseeable future. This doesn't bod well for the country.
Attempts have been made to form an opposition party (Mega party, ACN & CPC merger e.t.c) but all failed. Reasons for the failures are numerous but i will talk about one which:- Not thinking outside the box.
Most people expect the opposition to be almost as popular as the dominant party which in most cases is usually true but Nigeria can be the exception. For once, we should use our cultural differences to advantage:- Promote regional parties.
Just as the ACN is dominant in the southwest, imagine if the CPC and APGA were dominant or strife to be dominant in their respective regions by pushing for regional integration in their domain. We would have a president from the PDP but a national assembly without a dominant party thereby keeping PDP in check(theoretically). The different opposition parties can't take the PDP head on but they can take bites out of their cake.
Some south easterners believe Biafra would solve the problems of the Igbos which might be true or false but we can find out with them having to leave Nigeria.

Nigeria has the most greedy and selfish set of politicians in any universe and the message of one Nigeria doesn't seem to be working so why don't we try something different and radical.

#PS I am a believer in the possibility of one and peaceful Nigeria but with the amount of tribalist here on Nairaland, i think its time we appeal to their regional side.

1 Like

Re: Regional Parties:- A More Realistic Form Of Opposition. by GhostFaceKiller: 2:10am On Oct 17, 2012
A-ZeD:
[s]It is well known that there is no opposition in the country which is kind of a "requirement" for democracy. The closest we have to an one is the ACN which is seen as a regional party. Based on this lack of a formidable opposition, it can be said that the PDP will rule Nigeria for the foreseeable future. This doesn't bod well for the country.
Attempts have been made to form an opposition party (Mega party, ACN & CPC merger e.t.c) but all failed. Reasons for the failures are numerous but i will talk about one which:- Not thinking outside the box.
Most people expect the opposition to be almost as popular as the dominant party which in most cases is usually true but Nigeria can be the exception. For once, we should use our cultural differences to advantage:- Promote regional parties.
Just as the ACN is dominant in the southwest, imagine if the CPC and APGA were dominant or strife to be dominant in their respective regions by pushing for regional integration in their domain. We would have a president from the PDP but a national assembly without a dominant party thereby keeping PDP in check(theoretically). The different opposition parties can't take the PDP head on but they can take bites out of their cake.
Some south easterners believe Biafra would solve the problems of the Igbos which might be true or false but we can find out with them having to leave Nigeria.

Nigeria has the most greedy and selfish set of politicians in any universe and the message of one Nigeria doesn't seem to be working so why don't we try something different and radical.

#PS I am a believer in the possibility of one and peaceful Nigeria but with the amount of tribalist here on Nairaland, i think its time we appeal to their regional side.[/s]

rubish
Re: Regional Parties:- A More Realistic Form Of Opposition. by Callotti: 5:07am On Oct 17, 2012
Dream on LOVER! kiss
Re: Regional Parties:- A More Realistic Form Of Opposition. by Ikengawo: 5:21am On Oct 17, 2012
A-ZeD:
It is well known that there is no opposition in the country which is kind of a "requirement" for democracy. The closest we have to an one is the ACN which is seen as a regional party. Based on this lack of a formidable opposition, it can be said that the PDP will rule Nigeria for the foreseeable future. This doesn't bod well for the country.

#PS I am a believer in the possibility of one and peaceful Nigeria but with the amount of tribalist here on Nairaland, i think its time we appeal to their regional side.

dont mind the people on here, intelligence is not a public commodity. Great post. I like how your able to use creative reality based thinking to open up a new perspective.
I respectfully disagree with our assertion though. I feel the regional parties create monoliths that make the voter tie party to tribe. This means that i actually kills opposition on a state and local government level while at the same time killing it on a federal level because no regional party will ever be powerful enough to prevail over a national party.

So though there will be a mix in the national assembly, party diversity in the national assembly has never been the problem. The problem is it will turn state and local governments into monoliths where people vote on irrational tribe sentiments. We're already seeing it in the southwest where criticizing Tinubu has been equated to criticizing Yoruba people, which is an irrational counter productive and undemocratic form of thinking.

(1) (Reply)

Lagos govt, churches on war path over demolition / Pitfall In Imo Govt's Interference In Abia’s Market Relocation / nigerian Students Win Global Race-car Design

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.