Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,614 members, 7,809,250 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:44 AM

Tonto Dike's Brilliant Publicity Stunt - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Tonto Dike's Brilliant Publicity Stunt (13898 Views)

Prince Eke – “I Do Not Blame Nigerians That Said My Kidnap Was A Publicity Stunt / Opinion : Why Skibii Mayana Event Cant Be A Publicity Stunt / K-Solo & Wife: Our Fight Was A Publicity Stunt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tonto Dike's Brilliant Publicity Stunt by Abujafood: 10:05am On Oct 19, 2012
Tonto Dike, a Nollywood actress turned musician is generally percieved by Nigerians as arrogant and annoying. It seems Nigerians will have to add influential and smart to their list of adjectives to describe her due to her recent brilliant publicity stunt. In the last 48 hours, since the release of her single “hi” from her album titled “itz Ova" on Wednesday 17th October, she’s been the hot trending topic on various Social Media platforms and for good reason too. Jokes and insults about the song have been exchanged from descriptions of her song sounding like the "screen muncher" blackberry application to listners begging for therapy and even death. Despite these strong reactions, there's no doubt that Tonto Dike is about to make some serious cash. Here are a few reasons why I think Tonto Dike is a PR genius;

Tonto Dike is smart enough to know that there is a market for music that is on the terrible and humorous side. Afterall she is not the first Nigerian artist to market 'wack' music – Vic O who incidentally is Tonto’s friend and mentor - is a veteran when it comes to releasing wack music and making easy money from it. Vic O paved the way for Tonto Dike to turn a potentially terrible music venture into a money spinner.

The song itself is a masterpiece when it comes to the hall of ‘utter rubbish’ fame. The lyrics are disgraceful, the melody is very poor and the vocals are horrible. Obviously, Tonto Dike doesn’t give a hoot what people say or think of it. Why should she? When she knows most people are having a good laugh. No she understands her game with the cold rationale of a gambler.

Before releasing her collection of ‘wack' songs, Tonto had about 92,000 followers on Twitter. Guess what happened in less than 48 hours? She now has over 98,000 followers and more are joining her.

Before releasing her music Tonto would spit fire for fire to anyone who insulted her on Twitter. Now she gladly re-tweets every insult or mention directed at her Twitter handle @Tontolet. So what does this mean for Tonto's career? Will she be smiling to the bank with her now bankable Twitter following or is she just living out her five minutes of fame that will soon fade?

The answers to these questions can only be revealed in time. But what is certain is the more people talk about her on Twitter, the more her handle is seen and the more people will follow, mention and favorite things about her. Tonto Dike is simply a Twitter demi-god in the making and a potential mega brand ambassador. Being an 'influencer' on Twitter is very lucrative as big brands are willing to pay you money to tweet promotional stuff about them. Ask our very own Japheth Omojuwa, a popular political blogger who charges N10,000 per tweet because of his 40,000 strong following.

Celebrities court controversy for different reasons. In this case, it seems the reason is to grow a strong and influential brand name that can create an income. Despite the controversy and insults towards this young lady, one things for sure, she is hot right now.

Source: http://www.abujafood.com/lifestyle/music-a-entertainment/962-tonto-dikes-money-spinning-publicity-stunt-.html

2 Likes

Re: Tonto Dike's Brilliant Publicity Stunt by Seun(m): 1:26pm On Oct 19, 2012
You think she did it for 6,000 followers?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tonto Dike's Brilliant Publicity Stunt by Francheezy(m): 1:33pm On Oct 19, 2012
Seun: You think she did it for 6,000 followers?

l0l

2 Likes

Re: Tonto Dike's Brilliant Publicity Stunt by Afam4eva(m): 1:33pm On Oct 19, 2012
The girl is very smart oo
Re: Tonto Dike's Brilliant Publicity Stunt by Nobody: 1:51pm On Oct 19, 2012
The songs aren't too bad, just that we have too many good musicians in Nigeria now.

5 Likes

Re: Tonto Dike's Brilliant Publicity Stunt by Nobody: 2:41pm On Oct 19, 2012
"Every time am railed at, I get my own quota of renown" ------- Pietro Artino.

"The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about". ------ Oscar Wilde.

"There's no such thing as bad publicity except your own obituary grin." --------- Brendan Behan

8 Likes

Re: Tonto Dike's Brilliant Publicity Stunt by Abujafood: 3:35pm On Oct 19, 2012
Seun: You think she did it for 6,000 followers?

For much more than that, check out her latest following on twitter, it's almost 100K. But seun, why you no read the article finish na?
Re: Tonto Dike's Brilliant Publicity Stunt by Nobody: 3:51pm On Oct 19, 2012
I don't seem to get it.

Are you saying she released those songs so she could get more "twitter followers"? or are you saying she plans to "charge per advertising tweet" on her account?

1 Like

Re: Tonto Dike's Brilliant Publicity Stunt by Abujafood: 4:04pm On Oct 19, 2012
HQ: I don't seem to get it.

Are you saying she released those songs so she could get more "twitter followers"? or are you saying she plans to "charge per advertising tweet" on her account?

Read between the lines!
Re: Tonto Dike's Brilliant Publicity Stunt by Abujafood: 4:12pm On Oct 19, 2012
Update: 3.2 Million downloads for Tonto Dike in 24 hours, did D'banj's Oliver twist do this well?

Now Tonto has 100,325 followers on twitter (8000+) in 48 hours and more people are still following her!

Do I need to say more?
Re: Tonto Dike's Brilliant Publicity Stunt by plendil: 4:22pm On Oct 19, 2012
IT doesn't fit this case.

If Tonto Dike wanted more publicity, especially the negative kind, she's all too familiar with the technique: provide salacious scenes of her flesh for viewers to feast on in a flick. . .and presto, publicity!

The bottom line as far as I'm concerned is that this song is a horrendous miscalculation on her part. She was obvious unaware of just how bad it is. What possible advantage could more twitter followers, especially those calling for her pretty but empty head, have?

She just flowing with tide of negative criticism to give the impression that it was planned all along -it's clear it wasn't.

3 Likes

Re: Tonto Dike's Brilliant Publicity Stunt by salam001(m): 4:25pm On Oct 19, 2012
Tonto decay like to pull stunts alot
Re: Tonto Dike's Brilliant Publicity Stunt by Abujafood: 4:27pm On Oct 19, 2012
plendil: IT doesn't fit this case.

If Tonto Dike wanted more publicity, especially the negative kind, she's all too familiar with the technique: provide salacious scenes of her flesh for viewers to feast on in a flick. . .and presto, publicity!

The bottom line as far as I'm concerned is that this song is a horrendous miscalculation on her part. She was obvious unaware of just how bad it is. What possible advantage could more twitter followers, especially those calling for her pretty but empty head, have?

She just flowing with tide of negative criticism to give the impression that it was planned all along -it's clear it wasn't.

If she keeps using the same technique for more publicity wouldn't her fans find her boring? Why do you think celebs re-invent their brands?
Re: Tonto Dike's Brilliant Publicity Stunt by mcevans1(m): 5:44pm On Oct 19, 2012
Tonto decay is someone that never retreats or surrender..
Re: Tonto Dike's Brilliant Publicity Stunt by Rossikk(m): 6:26pm On Oct 19, 2012
plendil: IT doesn't fit this case.

I agree. The above piece looks suspiciously like a damage limitation attempt by her handlers or perhaps she herself.
Re: Tonto Dike's Brilliant Publicity Stunt by Abujafood: 6:31pm On Oct 19, 2012
Rossikk:

I agree. The above piece looks suspiciously like a damage limitation attempt by her handlers or perhaps she herself.

Very wrong Abujafood has nothing to do with Tonto Dike
Re: Tonto Dike's Brilliant Publicity Stunt by tpia5: 6:55pm On Oct 19, 2012
the lyrics, plz.

1 Like

Re: Tonto Dike's Brilliant Publicity Stunt by dhtmlextreme1: 6:10pm On Oct 20, 2012
It is damage limitation and nothing more, she dont f** up already
Re: Tonto Dike's Brilliant Publicity Stunt by Nobody: 6:13pm On Oct 20, 2012
And we're supposed to do what with this news?
Re: Tonto Dike's Brilliant Publicity Stunt by Ignatio(m): 6:17pm On Oct 20, 2012
And you think any reasonable brand that wants to attain profit would come to her for advertisement?

Seems you are the one capitalizing on her recent controversy to get traffic to your site.

1 Like

Re: Tonto Dike's Brilliant Publicity Stunt by Goldenheart(m): 6:21pm On Oct 20, 2012
yawn
Re: Tonto Dike's Brilliant Publicity Stunt by fittty(m): 6:23pm On Oct 20, 2012
Just the same way kim kardashian gets attention too by stunting!!!! cool

1 Like

Re: Tonto Dike's Brilliant Publicity Stunt by Rick9(m): 6:24pm On Oct 20, 2012
[size= 18pt] How does this affect the Price of[/size]
Garri:

1 Like

Re: Tonto Dike's Brilliant Publicity Stunt by Nobody: 6:26pm On Oct 20, 2012
From the lenght of the write up, this is probably damage control.
If u think ppl joined her twitter because they are so in love with her music? She should go on tour,do stage performance to promote her music,her family and friends won't even be there.
She just thot her talentless approach to nollywood will fly in music where there are tiwa savage, omawomi,chidinma and other great singers

1 Like

Re: Tonto Dike's Brilliant Publicity Stunt by PlantainBoy(m): 6:29pm On Oct 20, 2012
@Poster, I doubt if your opinion was actually her intention before she released the songs.
Re: Tonto Dike's Brilliant Publicity Stunt by Abujafood: 6:32pm On Oct 20, 2012
Laughing at all the comments so far!
Re: Tonto Dike's Brilliant Publicity Stunt by juman(m): 6:32pm On Oct 20, 2012
I can see that people like her.

1 Like

Re: Tonto Dike's Brilliant Publicity Stunt by Abujafood: 6:33pm On Oct 20, 2012
Plantain_Boy: @Poster, I doubt if your opinion was actually her intention before she released the songs.

Ok, so what was her intention then? At least you should know since you have doubts
Re: Tonto Dike's Brilliant Publicity Stunt by Super1759: 6:34pm On Oct 20, 2012
so one would earn more money and popularity good enough for a career by doing negative things. Maybe,in years to come after the music thing had gone down, she can go act por***phy. With that the whole world will know her in splits of seconds

1 Like

Re: Tonto Dike's Brilliant Publicity Stunt by Abujafood: 6:34pm On Oct 20, 2012
ARES: From the lenght of the write up, this is probably damage control.
If u think ppl joined her twitter because they are so in love with her music? She should go on tour,do stage performance to promote her music,her family and friends won't even be there.
She just thot her talentless approach to nollywood will fly in music where there are tiwa savage, omawomi,chidinma and other great singers

Best you read and understand the write-up before commenting. Who said people followed her on twitter because they liked her?
Re: Tonto Dike's Brilliant Publicity Stunt by PlantainBoy(m): 6:35pm On Oct 20, 2012
Abujafood:

Ok, so what was her intention then? At least you should know since you have doubts

Tonto isn't that smart you know..

1 Like

Re: Tonto Dike's Brilliant Publicity Stunt by Nobody: 6:35pm On Oct 20, 2012
I like this chic. She really knows how to get noticed.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Video Copilot Element 3d Opengl Error Fix / 'At What Age Should Kids Be Allowed Unsupervised Internet Acess'-Uche Jombo Asks / Toke Makinwa Stunning In New Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.