Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,782 members, 7,810,039 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:09 PM

What's Your Take On Court Marriage? - Romance (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What's Your Take On Court Marriage? (10629 Views)

Why Are Ladies Going For Court Marriage Than Men? / Can Lack Of Trust Make A Lady Insist On Court Marriage? / When Your Fiancee Is Insisting On Court Weeding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's Your Take On Court Marriage? by Idowuogbo(f): 2:22pm On Oct 21, 2012
candieangel12:

Now that I know this ur personality 2 try n get under ppls skin, then I wont bother replyin 2 u anymore. Good day!
Eeeeem... I'll suggest u log off, grab a pint of 2, buy 40 akara, down it all and sleep. happy Sunday! kiss
Re: What's Your Take On Court Marriage? by erico2k2(m): 2:23pm On Oct 21, 2012
Idowuogbo:

Ye Mogbe!!! U go fear comprehension mehn!! And na dis same Mr Oga wey blow us ngbatic talk d bolded? I laugh in my Indian accent *nehinehinehinehi*

and whats wrong with the bolded mr?
Re: What's Your Take On Court Marriage? by Idowuogbo(f): 2:25pm On Oct 21, 2012
erico2k2:
and whats wrong with the bolded mr?
Mr or Miss? undecided
Re: What's Your Take On Court Marriage? by Nobody: 2:31pm On Oct 21, 2012
Idowuogbo:
Modella! no vex me o! I tell u say I get temperature ni? *taps her chest* if u talk rubbish hia again hen! angry
abegi, you no see how I just save you from fight now...abi you no know say the babe don ready to beat you nonsense...we're derailing this thread already o.
Re: What's Your Take On Court Marriage? by Idowuogbo(f): 2:32pm On Oct 21, 2012
ItsModella:
abegi, you no see how I just save you from fight now...abi you no know say the babe don ready to beat you nonsense...we're derailing this thread already o.
Lol! Monkey! Anyways.. Define court wedding lipsrsealed
Re: What's Your Take On Court Marriage? by Nobody: 2:34pm On Oct 21, 2012
Idowuogbo:
Lol! Monkey! Anyways.. Define court wedding lipsrsealed
no be wedding dem dey do ontop football court undecided
Re: What's Your Take On Court Marriage? by Idowuogbo(f): 2:45pm On Oct 21, 2012
ItsModella:
no be wedding dem dey do ontop football court undecided
So d venue na stadium? undecided
Re: What's Your Take On Court Marriage? by Nobody: 2:46pm On Oct 21, 2012
Idowuogbo:
So d venue na stadium? undecided
no oo, na for your house.
Re: What's Your Take On Court Marriage? by Enice(m): 4:24pm On Oct 21, 2012
Court marriage, native custom and church marriage are all legaly binding so long as the marriage is registered in the marriage registry. Mind you, we only have one marriage certificate in Nigeria and it is issued by the marriage registry. It has a logo of the FG. So, whatever method you want to take, you will have to divorce in a court except you don't have a marriage certificate. The churches go to the registry to obtain a booklet of the certificate. The difference is that church marriages are difficult to divorce because before it gets to that stage, your father in the lord (pastor) must have intervene.
Re: What's Your Take On Court Marriage? by Nobody: 4:50pm On Oct 21, 2012
I remember d argument in my Law School class d day this topic was discussed. First republic finance minister Okotie-eboh's estate is still in crisis because of this. Marry ur wife well. A registry (mind you, not court) wedding is to secure the future of d surviving spouse & kids.
So many times inlaws come to share ppty after d demise of a man, it's because he didn't legalise his marriage as such she can't apply for Probate. Let me stop here.
Suffice it to say I won't compromise it 4 anything. Unless of course the church has been licensed by the LG and such can issue valid certificates then good & fine.
Re: What's Your Take On Court Marriage? by NinoDeDios: 4:58pm On Oct 21, 2012
jhydebaba: The reason is not far fetched, as a man if u allow ur woman to sweet talk u into court marriage u've just succeeded in signing ur death warrant all by urself. Women use it to bind their husband and share a largesse if things eventually goes round.

So in your country, a church wedding is not recognized under the law? undecided undecided
Re: What's Your Take On Court Marriage? by pedestal82(m): 6:21pm On Oct 21, 2012
My babe insists on going to a registry, whenever we decide to get married. Got no problem with
That. But if. Any one thinks that secures her anything in Naija
(Emphasis on Naija)in time of breakup, that's just pipe dream.
Its one of the benefits of been Nigerian, this things don't work
Re: What's Your Take On Court Marriage? by phecs: 6:52pm On Oct 21, 2012
Court marriage gives d lady more legal right in terms distribution of property.in d event of seperation
Re: What's Your Take On Court Marriage? by Nobody: 8:58pm On Oct 21, 2012
vivian chinaza:

First of all, why would I go into marriage thinking of divorce or what I'd get out of the divorce?

Second of it all, when a church is lawful, as in incorporated, its certificate is binding! Take for instance, the catholic church.

Take a journey to welfare offices and you will shut up on court marriage makes it hard for you to get dumped. When a man makes up his mind to dump you? There is nothing any one can do about that, some men value their peace of mind to material things.

Lastly, if I really do something that warrants a man dumping me, fine and my bad, I'd take the blame for that, bear the consequences for my action and suck it up! But if he just decides to dump me for no reason? HIS LOSS!

All this shouting for what? Isn't this supposed to be a conversation? Who's asking about anbody's loss or gain. I simply made a comment, no need to expend your entire vocabularly. I said 'frivolously' for pete's sake.
Re: What's Your Take On Court Marriage? by Beync(f): 9:14pm On Oct 21, 2012
court marriage is in accordance with the law of the land. People who fear court marriage becos they do not want to share properties with the partner in the case of divorce and people who want court marriage so as to share properties in case of divorce are ignorant of their civic responsibilities
. Ur marriage is not recognized by any authority unless it is registered. a copy of nigerin law is not costly.
Re: What's Your Take On Court Marriage? by vivianc(f): 9:22pm On Oct 21, 2012
fresh_dude: All this shouting for what? Isn't this supposed to be a conversation? Who's asking about anbody's loss or gain. I simply made a comment, no need to expend your entire vocabularly. I said 'frivolously' for pete's sake.

My friend move to the left joor!
Re: What's Your Take On Court Marriage? by Nobody: 9:52pm On Oct 21, 2012
Well,I did the three:traditional,white and court.Did the court this yeAr.Hubby actually initiated the court,brilliant idea!!!
Re: What's Your Take On Court Marriage? by DECOtech(m): 10:21pm On Oct 21, 2012
vivian chinaza: Honestl
y I don't give a rat's azz about cou
rt marriage unless the guy insists..
......Traditional and White wedding
all the way!

I like u.
Re: What's Your Take On Court Marriage? by nasty45(m): 10:44pm On Oct 21, 2012
i dig the point of most of y'all....women jst wanna feel secure knowin they can leave their husby wit their acct filled.about the guy sayin there's no court marriage in nigeria,pardon my askin,where are u from?u dont sound educated.personally for me i'l stick to the writtin of will thingy that is if protection is what they want.i realize they jst wanna be safe.women these days are too materialistic and educated so much that they demand court marriage....come to think of it,what if the woman is welthier than the man,cant the man get half?pls friends lets not derail as this is a very sensitive ish.thanks for your post,this duely noted.keep yur thots comin in
Re: What's Your Take On Court Marriage? by nasty45(m): 11:04pm On Oct 21, 2012
@Cherechy so u saying there's a
provision of the half spliting of property in church marriage
registry?mind u we not talkin about the demise of the husby.if tis
demise,then he should write a will to that effect. plz barrister
explain the part of ppty splittin wit respect to church or fg
certificate,is there any stipulation regardin that in the cert?tnx
Re: What's Your Take On Court Marriage? by Sagamite(m): 11:25pm On Oct 21, 2012
Abeg someone explain to me how court marriage is different from church marriage.
Re: What's Your Take On Court Marriage? by Beync(f): 7:10am On Oct 22, 2012
Sagamite: Abeg someone explain to me how court marriage is different from church marriage.
the court and the church are two different institutions and so their marriages . in my own religion the couple must get court registry before they wed you and we records lowest rate of divorce becos we know what marriage entails before going into it.
Re: What's Your Take On Court Marriage? by Sagamite(m): 8:29am On Oct 22, 2012
Beync: the court and the church are two different institutions and so their marriages . in my own religion the couple must get court registry before they wed you and we records lowest rate of divorce becos we know what marriage entails before going into it.

What makes them different?

What is your religion?
Re: What's Your Take On Court Marriage? by Nobody: 6:25pm On Oct 22, 2012
vivian chinaza:

My friend move to the left joor!
Why? Because I pointed out your foolishness?
Re: What's Your Take On Court Marriage? by vivianc(f): 7:59pm On Oct 22, 2012
fresh_dude: Why? Because I pointed out your foolishness?

grin grin grin grin grin.......now let's see who is foolish. Someone opened a thread and I posted my opinion. You quoted me and said that you are surprised to hear a lady with that opinion(that's the only think I picked, foregoing your other sentence(s)). I quoted you and threw more light on why I have my opinion which is also in line with what op wrote (reason why ladies demand for a court marriage).

So wise mugu, where exactly did you lose it? Is it in my quoting you, or the use of the word "you" or, the "exclamation mark?" what? If you had expanded you thinking faculty for once you would have known that I wasn't referring to you (ofcourse you ain't that important). I know you are daft so let me explain it to you like you are 6, NOT EVERYTHING IS ABOUT YOU.

Now who is foolish, fool?

Don't ever try this bullshit again, cos next time I might not be this polite? Ask question if you don't understand.

Now move to the left make I see road joor.
Re: What's Your Take On Court Marriage? by Nobody: 10:45pm On Oct 22, 2012
vivian chinaza:

grin grin grin grin grin.......now let's see who is foolish. Someone opened a thread and I posted my opinion. You quoted me and said that you are surprised to hear a lady with that opinion(that's the only think I picked, foregoing your other sentence(s)). I quoted you and threw more light on why I have my opinion which is also in line with what op wrote (reason why ladies demand for a court marriage).

So wise mugu, where exactly did you lose it? Is it in my quoting you, or the use of the word "you" or, the "exclamation mark?" what? If you had expanded you thinking faculty for once you would have known that I wasn't referring to you (ofcourse you ain't that important). I know you are daft so let me explain it to you like you are 6, NOT EVERYTHING IS ABOUT YOU.

Now who is foolish, fool?

Don't ever try this bullshit again, cos next time I might not be this polite? Ask question if you don't understand.

Now move to the left make I see road joor.
My God! You really are foolish. Cheers.
Re: What's Your Take On Court Marriage? by Beync(f): 12:21am On Oct 23, 2012
Sagamite:

What makes them different?

What is your religion?
Court registry is serves as proof of marriage contact between to people.
a religion is permitted by the govt to perform marriages provided the
the couple have obtain a civil marriage license from the magistrate court.
church wedding adds numerous other moral aspects to the marriage becos
God instituted marriage so the need for moral counsel and blessings from God.
church function is to bless 2 persons who must have met the requirements
for the union and obtained their license from the registrar.
am a JW
Re: What's Your Take On Court Marriage? by Nobody: 8:58am On Oct 23, 2012
nasty45: men get scared when they hear about court marriage while women insist on them.what are their reasons?
it is legally recognised by law and it has consequences most cheating men never approve of
Re: What's Your Take On Court Marriage? by Sagamite(m): 10:18am On Oct 23, 2012
Beync:
Court registry is serves as proof of marriage contact between to people.
a religion is permitted by the govt to perform marriages provided the
the couple have obtain a civil marriage license from the magistrate court.
church wedding adds numerous other moral aspects to the marriage becos
God instituted marriage so the need for moral counsel and blessings from God.
church function is to bless 2 persons who must have met the requirements
for the union and obtained their license from the registrar.
am a JW

Let me summarise for clarity:

- The only difference between court and church marriage is that the latter adds additional moral obligations that are not legally binding to the union.

So why would anyone be terrified of the former (court marriage) than they are of the latter, as being stated on this thread?

mondi_cheeks:
it is legally recognised by law and it has consequences most cheating men never approve of

Like what consequences?
Re: What's Your Take On Court Marriage? by Nobody: 10:23am On Oct 23, 2012
Sagamite:
Like what consequences?
divorce consequences...adminstration of one'e estate
Re: What's Your Take On Court Marriage? by Sagamite(m): 10:25am On Oct 23, 2012
mondi_cheeks:
divorce consequences...adminstration of one'e estate

So church wedding has less consequences than court wedding when it comes to divorce?
Re: What's Your Take On Court Marriage? by Nobody: 10:29am On Oct 23, 2012
Sagamite:

So church wedding has less consequences than court wedding when it comes to divorce?
im comparing them to customary marriages.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

This Guy Must Be Crazy... / My Facebook Friend Just Posted After Sex Photo Of Wife SEE / Men Only: You Don Try This Level Before ? How E Dey Be ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.