Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,842 members, 7,820,934 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:55 AM

Nigerian Engineers Are Not Competent? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Nigerian Engineers Are Not Competent? (18609 Views)

Poll: How would you rate engineers trained in Nigerian universities?

Mostly incompetent: 44% (34 votes)
Generally competent: 55% (43 votes)
This poll has ended

NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing / Engineers In The House, Let's Discuss. / Mechatronic Engineers: aspirants and practitioners meet here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Engineers Are Not Competent? by oziomatv(m): 12:40pm On Feb 05, 2008
I think they only studied how to speak good English and some theoretical works that's all.

they can write how to build an aeroplane and to engage in the practical work is the problem.
If the govt. is the problem why can't you open your own let people buy your works and stop depending on salary.

we have engineers non know how to keep a bulb lighting for 24hrs, our refinery get spoilt all the time and stay long before fixing while we wait foreign engineers but the natives knows how to carry file in the office.

ISHMAEL I dey your back. It's a shamefull thing for one to call himself an engineer in Nigeria, , abegi.
everything we blame govt. even our inability the govt.

LET'S GET DOWN TO INVENT SOMETHING NOT REPIRING WHAT OTHERS INVENTED.
Re: Nigerian Engineers Are Not Competent? by bebure(m): 1:25pm On Feb 05, 2008
I just started working as a mechanical engineer in the UK last year (one year industrial placement) and from what I have seen and done, I can tell you where the problem starts: University. The fact is that what we learn at university is hardly ever going to be used in our careers as engineers. In the UK, US etc the universities emphasise the need for experience and help by setting up mandatory design projects both individual and team which give the students a feel of what it is like in the real world. They also encourage taking up some work placement during your degree (usually three months or one year). The funny thing is with all the projects you might have done at university, when you start your placement you still feel very inadequate and are giving some sort oftraining on the job(formal or informal). you are also taught to think on your own (that is what separates engineers from technicians). I am a Nigerian Engineer to be and I

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Engineers Are Not Competent? by bebure(m): 1:27pm On Feb 05, 2008
believe I have what it takes to be an engineer not a mere technician. Untill universities in Nigeria get it into their heads that pure theory is not what makes a good engineer but rather a combination of theory, experience and creativity, the home grown engineers are doomed to being glorified technicians.
Re: Nigerian Engineers Are Not Competent? by dee02(m): 1:34pm On Feb 05, 2008
Nigerian "Techical Knowledge graduates"-what i call most nigerian engineers by the way) are so incompetent, it stinks!
They go to the office from 8-6 and all they do is sign and carry "manilla flat files" while boasting of winning and bidding for engineering projects, the rot needs to stop, engineers should be able to display competent technical abilities, the lecturers teaching them in Universities need to be re-trained as thier knowledge is so out of date, engineering admission criterias needs to be stiffer, it has to be the survivial of the fittest, there are a few good ones, but vast majority are just carrying the name "engineers" but lack basic engineering application skills, they cram PN OKEKE text books and to demonstrate practical knowledge, they freeze, follow follow white men on the field, carrying equipments and making food for white men on site!

present engineers and aspiring engineers, please re-evaluate urselves!
Re: Nigerian Engineers Are Not Competent? by oziomatv(m): 1:40pm On Feb 05, 2008
Thank God that I have people who reason with sences. cause these so called engineers theoricians are too proud down there making money without knowing what is the meaning of an engineer.
Re: Nigerian Engineers Are Not Competent? by tboy1(m): 2:05pm On Feb 05, 2008
@ ishmael

I agree wit u 100% and i'm still waiting for the so called Nigerian Engineers to answer the question below:

Tell us one good thing that Engineers in Nigeria have engineered??

The funny thing is that they really enjoy putting that Engr. in front of their names
Re: Nigerian Engineers Are Not Competent? by bicey(m): 2:17pm On Feb 05, 2008
@ishmael.

Please give us an example of a new thing to design.
Re: Nigerian Engineers Are Not Competent? by tboy1(m): 2:25pm On Feb 05, 2008
bicey:

@ishmael.

Please give us an example of a new thing to design.

I'll give u one:
A car, which all its parts and component will be built in Nigeria by Nigerians
Re: Nigerian Engineers Are Not Competent? by oziomatv(m): 2:27pm On Feb 05, 2008
ELECTRICITY FOR  GOD'S SAKE.
   LATER AM COMMING UP WITH OTHERS.
Re: Nigerian Engineers Are Not Competent? by afroasian(m): 2:29pm On Feb 05, 2008
@ishmael,

O boy, are you angry at people that call themselves engineers or what exactly is your problem?

ishmael:

@oyb

Please read all my previous posts and tell me where i ever said it is the work of engineers to carry out constuction work or repairs and fixing. I have been emphasizing that Engineers design and develop new things while Technicians fix and repair. The problem we have in Nigeria you and other Engineers have not designed anything for Nigeria. Most of you do fixing and repairs which is the duty of Technicians.

Yes, theoretically, an engineer is one that designs, but you dont have to design something entirely new to be an engineer. You dont have  to go and do the extra-ordinary to call yourself an engineer. 'The right Application' of existing knowledge is part of engineering design, so whether or not one applies/builds upon existing research/knowledge and comes out with something better than before, yes, such is an engineer. Look around in the environment and tell me that you cannot see anything done by engineers. Even if you are holed up in your village, the fact that a telecom mast was not there before and its there now means that somebody did something new. Yes, Nigerians might not have designed and locally built the telecom equipments, but yes they installed it, they are maintaining it, they are upgrading it one way or the other, so yes, they are engineers.

If your calling yourself a TECHNICIAN is because you dont have necessary engineering education, fine, no problem. But you cannot argue that someone who has completed 5-years of an engineering course cannot be called an engineer. Even if such was the last in his whole class. He still owns the title.

What we should rather focus on is not the name, its on the EFFICIENCY LEVEL. Yes, Nigerian engineers might not be very competent because many of them are not CURRENT as per Technology-level, but what I have observed over time is this: if you give a Nigerian an opportunity, he/she will excel more than your expectations. The reason why the general air that Nigerian engineers are not competent is because they have not been exposed. If you find exposed Nigerians, you will be surprised at how far they have gone, and the untapped potentials that still lie within.

I agree with OYB:

1) nigerians do not value brain work.
2) nigerians love to cut corners.
3) impositions
4) too many quacks in the industry
5) remuneration

Expatriates and our Leaders:
As for expatriates, I blame our leaders.

99%(based on very reliable information) of foreigners who call themselves expatriates and come to Nigeria never had a formal education. They summarily went to primary school. 99% of them dont have a University degree. I say these as a matter of fact.  Sometime ago, I was privy to some immigration documents of some of the local-big shots and I was like, wwwwooooowwwww.

I dont blame them, see, these are people who have been fending for themselves and working as technical hands, apprentices, etc since the ages of 16-18. They basically learnt all they know by watching-experience. By that age, you and I were still battling with heaven and hell, trying to JAMB our way into one university or the other. By the age of 26, they have gathered about 8-10 years experience as a technician doing various things. Those that are a little wise among themselves quickly brush things up on the Information Technology level, with one diploma or the other. By 28, the become expatriates and are ready to be deployed to Africa. When they get here, they have so much experience, and many things to talk about ex: about their previous jobs, that we are soon swept off our feet, believing that they are technical-magicians. They really dont know much. The truth is the knowledge they have gathered are mostly by 'watching', 'trial and error', etc.

I would give it to them that they are sharp minded and fast learners, but as per having the 'koko', nope, I cant.

Its not all of them that are technically skilled though. You dont expect a company run by absolute foreigners to put a Nigerian at its top realm. One way or the other, they would want to have control of their business, they would want to maintain the 'we are more superior' level, even if they dont know anything. Can you imagine someone who says he has a CCNA and yet he cannot install Windows XP, and yet he is an expatriate in Nigeria, has a driver and a house-maid? How many Cisco guys are walking the streets in Lagos state. How many Windows XP gurus are there in Computer village, who have nothing to do but sell CDs?

The thing is that they, expatriates actually dont understand "why it works like it is presently working", but they understand "what can I do to make it work", and "what can I do if it is not working". If something is working, you wont start asking if its working as it should be working, or its just working. In reality, they are technicians. They cannot actually explain the basics of 1,2,3 about what they are doing. They just do whatever they need to do and make it work. By then, we begin to think that they must be very good, very intelligent, very this and that. If you work with these foreigners, ex: indians, lebanese etc; as much as I do, you can test them with a little 'logical reasoning',  and you see that they fall flat to the ground.

Can we turn the tables around:
Is it possibe, or when will it be possible that a Nigerian who doesnt have a University degree, who is maybe a 50% ignoramus like many of the expatriates we have here, gets employed as an expatriate to work abroad, in the same capacity these guys work here - and with all the enjoyment perks of the work environment. Wont somebody ask his/her academic qualification at the embassy? Why dont our embassies demand qualitative academic qualification from these people before issuing them visas? We are talking reciprocity here, if we are to be exporting dumb people abroad.

Sometime ago, a lady, ICAN certified etc, complained about her boss, a froshe expatriate who does not know how to use MS.Excel, yet he is an accounting manager. She told me that she had to put him through how to do simple stuffs. Can you compare the rigors of the ICAN exam with someone who previously worked as a department store clerk abroad and then as an accouting manager in Nigeria. Can we turn the tables around and begin to export our business center typists abroad to go work as managers?

Thats why I blame our leaders.

P.s. Compare these Lebanese, Indians, Chinese etc, with their American, U.K and European Counterparts. These American and European counterparts are usually more educated, with very technical foundations.

Educational standard:
FYI: kindly note that, for example in India, their 3-year B.Tech degree is not acceptable in the USA as an undergraduate. You have to go and do an additional 1-year brush up course to get into a Masters degree if you come with an indian B-Tech. Its not only the english language, but also the technicalities are lacking. In fact, schools in South Korea still rank higher than many Indian Universities. The only ones in repute are the IIT campuses. Any other one are just like our mushroom institutes here.

Our own educational standard needs to be revamped. Im sorry to say, but if I were at the helms of affairs, I would throw out many lecturers. I would first make it a policy that a University lecturer without a minimum of 5-years full-time industry experience has nothing to do in the University. I dont see it right for a fresh graduate to become a research assistant, then a lecturer in a few years, without any industry experience. Such end up teaching what they jotted down in their own notebooks, what they read from other places. They never have the opportunity to talk out of experience. Thats not the way it is abroad. You usually have lecturers who have had industry experience for at least 7years before lecturemanship. That way, they can bring the industry and the academe together.

The lack of tools also makes things scary in Nigeria. Imagine a computer science graduate who has to go for a computer diploma in a computer school after the UNiversity. Methinks, what did he/she learn/do for 5-solid years in school. Worse, what kinda teacher taught such. How can a university graduate be going for Computer appreciation courses. We might not be able to do anything about the present corp of engineers, but if something is not done, and that fast enough, the coming generation have no hope.

The lack of research facitilities is another problem in Nigeria. Yes, everyone is looking for fast money, fast business etc, and our leaders have no vision for a research institution. Countries in the West have solid and well-funded research institutions that produce outstanding results after years of dedicated experiments and intelligent research. Thousands of dollars are spent on every area of technology. This is not so in Nigeria, neither it is for Africa.

Until we start a dedicated research effort, honestly I dont think we are going anywhere.

This one has been quite long, let me rest my case.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Engineers Are Not Competent? by namdo(m): 2:29pm On Feb 05, 2008
interesting, even the professors are not professing anything either and somehow they produce the 'engineers', yes we need to overhaul the curriculum of our studies and ask for advise from progressing alies. Until we begin to produce our own things in most aspects of life, we would continue to support alien economies, buy, fix, repair, remould, and continue to be called 'aba-made'. We are intelligent people but lack right exposure/training. Those who get better exposures/training sure do well and are competitive anywhere in the world because the nigerian is generally not dull when exposed to proper training.

Face the truth.
Re: Nigerian Engineers Are Not Competent? by oziomatv(m): 2:41pm On Feb 05, 2008
THE OTHER DAY I MET A NIGERIAN GIRL THAT PROUDLY TOLD ME THAT SHE DID COMPUTER ENGINEERING, COULD YOU BELEIVE SHE DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START AND RESTART A COMPUTER NOT TO TALK OF WHEN SHE ASKED ME OF THE @ SIGN.
Re: Nigerian Engineers Are Not Competent? by aahmed112: 2:58pm On Feb 05, 2008
oi!! Pls lets get this clear.

1. Even overseas, we have the taught and research paths wen u want to study for a masters degree. . .no engr on the taught path ever gets to invest time in thinking and developing new designs, except in a personal capacity. They rather apply the knowledge they get in solving problems (which is what engineering is typically anyways). So I guess we now understand that qualifying as an engineer does not mean u design something new!!

2. All over the world, which I have found nigerian engineers being compared to very often, the profession thrives on its relationship with industries/technical partners.  My department had a laboratory which was colocated with the research centre of a first-rate electronics company in europe. They hand us grants every now and then for different projects, good employability for graduates of the department, etc. Now where is that environment in Nigeria Mayb we shud classify engineering in nigeria as one of the professions whose development is being affected by the economy.

3. A technician is someone with a fair theoretical knowledge and very good practical understanding, now hw much practical do our engineers get exposed to Maybe they r not even technicians afterall!!!

In conclusion, no matter hw much the government spends on a new lab, they'll have 2 budget the same to maintain it every year! We need industries we can gain their trust, so they can help keep the profession alive.

Mother of the Story: The graduates here lack any sort of understanding of the bridge between what they have been given theoretically, and what obtains in the industry. All we produce in nigeria are graduates of engineering; NO ENGINEERS, NO TECHNICIANS!!

**This might well not apply to all disciplines of the profession, but it speaks of these disciplines (Electronics/Telecommunications/ICT) driven by constant advancements in technology**
Re: Nigerian Engineers Are Not Competent? by Delta007(m): 2:59pm On Feb 05, 2008
I think both sides have some valid points. I'm an Engineer, albeit schooled, trained and works in N.America. I had a cpl yrs Uni education in Nigeria before I jetted out and I must say my experience is clearer than 7up. I cannot dismiss the theoritical knowledge I picked up in Nigeria because it was the backbone of my relative success as an Engineer here, however I remember those nights I stayed up studying with lanterns and candles while mosquitoes finished the hell outta me; I kept asking myself how I was going to apply the knowledge because it never made sense. Yeah, I studied to pass and I passed with distinction; when I got to N.America the theory was already there but then I started to understand its applications. Heck, I came out tops in my class, easily worked my way into the world class firms by God's Grace. Even when u graduate here in N.America, you are not an Engineer; instead, u are an "Engineer in training" and you have to build 4-5yrs experience (which are supervised) before you are classified as an engineer. But in Naija, the moment u step out, even with a 2-2 or 3, u don become Engineer Adebayo. What can you Engineer? It's true, most infrastructures in Nigeria are built by multinational firms who bring in their "experts"; only few Nigeria Engineers actually Engineer., not because they are incompetent but just cos of the system. I remember working in a global manufacturing company which had a plant in Naija; my intentions was for them to post me to naija as an expatriate for a couple years. Funny thing was one of the dudes that went ahead of me as an expatriate worked under me as a technician N.America. I trained him, gave him all the materials he needed and when he went to Naija, he was an Oga obviously cos of his white skin. And of course, my boss no gree release me cos according to him, I was too crucial for the operations in N.America.

My point is, there are very intelligent "Engineers" in Nigeria but the system has not allowed for Engineers to practise effectively. I must say I give kudos to my counterparts in Nigeria who despite the inadequacies, they genuinely practise in their fields and uphold the "standards" of the profession. There are incompetent Engineers everywhere, not just naija; that's why there are regulating bodies in various countries that ensure Engineers conform to law and ethics and are very competent in their fields. Take it or leave it, Engineers are just as important (or even more important) than doctors since every thing they do affect the general public, from the bridges and roads u drive on to even the cell phones every tom, dick and harry owns. For the dude that says Engineers in Naija only repairs and fixes, that part of Engineering is called "Reverse Engineering". Infact firms around the world employ engineers to research, spec, design, manage, maintain, improve, etc. The unfortunate part is that in Naija, most Engineers end up only "Managing" or "Maintaining". I guess that's your gripe but it's part of the profession.

The Universities have to be overhaul. Engineering is a practical Science so more emphasis should be put on experience, the theory cannot be ignored tho. Also, just as someone pointed out, Firms have to invest in Engineers; despite my university education, I've had countless on-the-job trainings which have kept me abreast with latest technology. These are not cheap.

BTW, anyone know whether PHCN dey look for correct Engineer?  grin grin Time to give back to my motherland!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Engineers Are Not Competent? by faketan(m): 3:04pm On Feb 05, 2008
Delta007:

I think both sides have some valid points. I'm an Engineer, albeit schooled, trained and works in N.America. I had a cpl years Uni education in Nigeria before I jetted out and I must say my experience is clearer than 7up. I cannot dismiss the theoritical knowledge I picked up in Nigeria because it was the backbone of my relative success as an Engineer here, however I remember those nights I stayed up studying with lanterns and candles while mosquitoes finished the hell out of me; I kept asking myself how I was going to apply the knowledge because it never made sense. Yeah, I studied to pass and I passed with distinction; when I got to N.America the theory was already there but then I started to understand its applications. Heck, I came out tops in my class, easily worked my way into the world class firms by God's Grace. Even when u graduate here in N.America, you are not an Engineer; instead, u are an "Engineer in training" and you have to build 4-5yrs experience (which are supervised) before you are classified as an engineer. But in Naija, the moment u step out, even with a 2-2 or 3, u don become Engineer Adebayo. What can you Engineer? It's true, most infrastructures in Nigeria are built by multinational firms who bring in their "experts"; only few Nigeria Engineers actually Engineer., not because they are incompetent but just because of the system. I remember working in a global manufacturing company which had a plant in Naija; my intentions was for them to post me to naija as an expatriate for a couple years. Funny thing was one of the dudes that went ahead of me as an expatriate worked under me as a technician N.America. I trained him, gave him all the materials he needed and when he went to Naija, he was an Oga obviously because of his white skin. And of course, my boss no gree release me because according to him, I was too crucial for the operations in N.America.

My point is, there are very intelligent "Engineers" in Nigeria but the system has not allowed for Engineers to practise effectively. I must say I give kudos to my counterparts in Nigeria who despite the inadequacies, they genuinely practise in their fields and uphold the "standards" of the profession. There are incompetent Engineers everywhere, not just naija; that's why there are regulating bodies in various countries that ensure Engineers conform to law and ethics and are very competent in their fields. Take it or leave it, Engineers are just as important (or even more important) than doctors since every thing they do affect the general public, from the bridges and roads u drive on to even the cell phones every tom, privates and harry owns. For the dude that says Engineers in Naija only repairs and fixes, that part of Engineering is called "Reverse Engineering". Infact firms around the world employ engineers to research, spec, design, manage, maintain, improve, etc. The unfortunate part is that in Naija, most Engineers end up only "Managing" or "Maintaining". I guess that's your gripe but it's part of the profession.

The Universities have to be overhaul. Engineering is a practical Science so more emphasis should be put on experience, the theory cannot be ignored tho. Also, just as someone pointed out, Firms have to invest in Engineers; despite my university education, I've had countless on-the-job trainings which have kept me abreast with latest technology. These are not cheap.

BTW, anyone know whether PHCN dey look for correct Engineer? grin grin Time to give back to my motherland!
I love this post
Re: Nigerian Engineers Are Not Competent? by Guk: 3:08pm On Feb 05, 2008
Unfortunately, with no disrespect to the serious and competent engineers, i am forced to agree with the topic because of these 2 examples which is an indication of many disasters waiting to happen.

(1) How can you put a Bus stop at the Ascent of National Stadium Flyover?

(2) How can you put a Bus stop at the turning of Ogudu onto the expressway

Whichever engineer that certified them should have his/her qualification withdrawn/cancelled.

BRT Project in Lagos is Nigerian Engineers' engineering disaster. Only a slowpoke would have approved that BRT project in Lagos.
Re: Nigerian Engineers Are Not Competent? by aahmed112: 3:23pm On Feb 05, 2008
@Delta007

Good talk man. . .
Re: Nigerian Engineers Are Not Competent? by Prince22(m): 3:54pm On Feb 05, 2008
Guk/aahmed112
BRT is a new initiative of the state,
Why not wait to practicalise it first and see the outcome of it before we started seeing 'slowpoke'

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Engineers Are Not Competent? by aahmed112: 4:09pm On Feb 05, 2008
@ prince22

I made no comments on the BRT. . .read my post, its says '@ delta007'!
Re: Nigerian Engineers Are Not Competent? by Nobody: 4:20pm On Feb 05, 2008
somehow, i suspected that this thread would be pushed out -  grin

@ ishmael, you are talking about inventing. i am going to do shakara and post something i am currently designing- that may explain to you what design is

the pictures below indicate a preliminary lighting design i am doing as PP. i first created a 3d overview of the site from a 2d autocad drawing( using dialux 4.4) i then aimed for an illumination with a mininmum of 30 lux.

the client - like so many clients said that the cost ( my initial design came to over 156 floodlights and 20 something 18m lighting masts - (each mast is over N1million, each floodlight is about 20,000 or more) and that does not include cables and control gear. so we agreed to modify the design. now threr are fewer poles and lights.

if he approves this, i will have to go into detailed design - putting the poles in circuits, defining cable routes, calaculating load in va of each circuit, calculating total lenght of cable required, total number of lighting kiosks required, adjustments to the clients submains, etc.

all of this will coaelse into a set of tender documents which will be issued to several contractors who will be invited to bid on the project. the conteract award may be out of my hands - which may be a shame.

thats a small segment of what i do as an engineer, and what engineers all over nigeria do. thats what design is. i will not claim to have invented anything new, but if you walk into some buildings - eg some MTN offices in falomo golden plaza, i can tell you, anything electrical in them - i designed (lighting layout , fire alarm installation low voltage distribution, etc

Guk:

Unfortunately, with no disrespect to the serious and competent engineers, i am forced to agree with the topic because of these 2 examples which is an indication of many disasters waiting to happen.

(1) How can you put a Bus stop at the Ascent of National Stadium Flyover?

(2) How can you put a Bus stop at the turning of Ogudu onto the expressway

Whichever engineer that certified them should have his/her qualification withdrawn/cancelled.

BRT Project in Lagos is Nigerian Engineers' engineering disaster. Only a slowpoke would have approved that BRT project in Lagos.

one of the biggest problems engineers face is that we often take the blame for other's decisons. let me explain something - unless you are in a position of power, you can only advise. . .and too often other factors come into play - like saving money or making a political statement. the BRT project is not about engineers - it is about the lagos govt

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Engineers Are Not Competent? by ishmael(m): 4:30pm On Feb 05, 2008
@oyb

You try. But is this design a new design?? cos it looks like the one i saw in one text book recently. Please also help us tell your electrical colleagues to help us solve power (PHCN) issue in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Engineers Are Not Competent? by bawomol(m): 4:32pm On Feb 05, 2008
lots of nigerian engineers lack skill such as using MatLab, Pro-engineer, ANSYS or computer programming knowledge needed in the internet age. the accreditation of Nigerian schools makes people shy a bit away from Nigerian engineerings.
Re: Nigerian Engineers Are Not Competent? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Feb 05, 2008
PHCN is also about politics. ( so are so many engineering projects)

what you have to understand is that many people involved at the top have different agendas. i may see a project as a means to do a fantastic job - however, a lot of people on top see it as a means to chop. PHCN is full of stories of ogas from above giving specialist contracts to their friendsgirl friends who read psycology and run export business.

imagine you want to buy 10 hilux pickups for a project. you give the contract to your girlfriend, who first eats 30% of the money, then buys chinese pickups. the pickups, of course are not as durable as what was originally proposed, and all sorts of problems arise as a result. that is the sort of problem faced by engineers. certainly in competence is part of it, but thats not the whole story. all the fine fine design i do means nothing if the people i am doing it for have a different agenda - and they ususlly do how much will i chop cheesy from this project
Re: Nigerian Engineers Are Not Competent? by Nobody: 4:43pm On Feb 05, 2008
@ ishmeal are you accussing me of copy and paste engineering? grin perrhaps you should scan and upload whatever you 'saw' in the book.

as to nigerian engineers not being skilled in software - thats bullshit!i use autocad, autoCAD MEP, Dialux, Sketchup, and a plethora of design apps. i have a friend who is a PDMS guru. i spoke to another today, who is about to do AVEVA's PDMS accreditation.

the problem  here is that most of the posters don't know didly about what engineering is about in the first place.people who have never worked in a design office are busy knocking engineers.

go to vi ozumba mbadiwe or therabouts you will see the site for the Nigerian Intercontinetal Hotel .the deign (architectural, etc is by nigerians!

mike adenugas tower in VI, it was designed by an italian architect, but the entire Mechanical and Electrical Design was done by my former employer. don't talk about what you don't know

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Engineers Are Not Competent? by floffy: 4:53pm On Feb 05, 2008
Considering that nigeria is underdeveloped in technology (talking from a global perspective) I would say it is absolutely necessary to train these engineers abroad. However, the major issue should be how Nigeria should utilise these expertise to become most productive and improve development; technology wise, economically and politically.
Re: Nigerian Engineers Are Not Competent? by bawomol(m): 4:56pm On Feb 05, 2008
as to nigerian engineers not being skilled in software - thats bullshit!i use autocad, autoCAD MEP, Dialux, Sketchup, and a plethora of design apps. i have a friend who is a PDMS guru. i spoke to another today, who is about to do AVEVA's PDMS accreditation.

the problem here is that most of the posters don't know didly about what engineering is about

i'm sorry, autoCAD is just one of the few 3d design softwares available, there's ProE, autodesk and a host of others. not that nigerians don't use it, but american engineers are usually more advanced due to their exposure to C++ and java programming from highschool(i barely saw computers in secondary school while in nigeria). i only learnt how to use matlab and linux in college. to get accredited as an engineer in the US, many engineerings have to take the PE and FE exams.

take a look at the ASME website and u would see a host of classes, tutorials and software packages easily available. do nigerian engineers have easy access to this.

http://www.asme.org/
Re: Nigerian Engineers Are Not Competent? by bawomol(m): 4:58pm On Feb 05, 2008
However, the major issue should be how Nigeria should utilise these expertise to become most productive and improve development

Nigerian engineers abroad should be invited home. that can only be possible if their personal safety and job security is ensured. if Nigerian engineers are that competent, why are they been sent to Denmark for technical training. are american engineers sent to Singapore for technical training.
Re: Nigerian Engineers Are Not Competent? by texazzpete(m): 5:00pm On Feb 05, 2008
@Ishmael
The problem we have in Nigeria is that retards like you tend to generalize without thinking.
YOU are not an engineer. You're a technician hence this campaign of calumny, this deliberate attempt to belittle the contribution of Engineers to our daily life.
The examples you provided are pathetic. Why speak about microchips and transistors when you know areas like this are not well taught in Nigerian universities? Why not speak about the thousands of Nigerian Engineers working in Chevron, Shell, Elf, Mobil, Schlumberger et al, using their brains to solve challenging problems and proffering new solutions?
Not all Nigerian Engineers are fresh out of University (admittedly their weakest period). Many of us have spent years working in environments where research and development is encouraged. We are competent in handling a myriad of issues that require Engineering solutions. As long as we remain Nigerians, we're Nigerian Engineers and we are competent.

To use the number of Engineers forced by a hostile society to act as technicians as a basis for genralization is frankly stupid, and you numerous replies have done little to sway the opinion I (and most definitely many others) have formed of you - An incredibly silly person with far too much time on his hands.

ishmael:

@oyb

You try. But is this design a new design?? because it looks like the one i saw in one text book recently. Please also help us tell your electrical colleagues to help us solve power (PHCN) issue in Nigeria.

When a Nigerian engineer comes up with proof to show his competence in an area, you question him. Yet we wonder why we aren't appreciated worldwide.
While you're at it, please tell your technician buddies to help solve power (PHCN) issue in Nigeria. Afterall, like you said, you Technicians get to do the dirty work.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Engineers Are Not Competent? by texazzpete(m): 5:06pm On Feb 05, 2008
bawomol:

if Nigerian engineers are that competent, why are they been sent to Denmark for technical training. are american engineers sent to Singapore for technical training.

Hmm. . .i wsn't aware that every single one of the hundreds of thousands of Engineering graduates and experienced Engineers in Nigeria were being sent to Denmark. That must be it, right?
because, if you judge EVERY Nigerian Engineer as incompetent just because a few were being sent overseas, that'd make you pretty foolish, wouldn't you say?

bawomol:

not that nigerians don't use it, but american engineers are usually more advanced due to their exposure to C++ and java programming from highschool(i barely saw computers in secondary school while in nigeria). i only learnt how to use matlab and linux in college. to get accredited as an engineer in the US, many engineerings have to take the PE and FE exams.

take a look at the ASME website and u would see a host of classes, tutorials and software packages easily available. do nigerian engineers have easy access to this.

http://www.asme.org/

The article wasn't about whether american engineers were on average more competent that their Nigerian counterparts. it was whether Nigerian Engineers were competent. Shame your comprehension skills lag behind your Engineering skills.
Re: Nigerian Engineers Are Not Competent? by bawomol(m): 5:13pm On Feb 05, 2008
if you judge EVERY Nigerian Engineer as incompetent just because a few were being sent overseas, that'd make you pretty foolish, wouldn't you say?

i didn't say they were incompetent. i just said on average they were not up to par with their counterparts. engineering degrees from countries such as india or japan have more credence abroad. yes there are some excellent nigerian engineers but more needs to be done

The article wasn't about whether american engineers were on average more competent that their Nigerian counterparts. it was whether Nigerian Engineers were competent. Shame your comprehension skills lag behind your Engineering skills.

it's strange u have resorted to insults. i was just making a comparison. my stance is that nigerian engineers are decent but they have ways to go before gaining more credibility. why can't one have a argument on these board without insults or attacking comprehension skills or intelligence??
Re: Nigerian Engineers Are Not Competent? by bawomol(m): 5:16pm On Feb 05, 2008
i would also like to see the post where i said EVERY nigerian engineer is incompetent. people are getting to defensive here. we may be criticizing the work Nigerian engineers but we are not slamming them or calling them irrelevant.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

Ecobank Sent 100 Managers By Road To Lome / Nigeria Customs Sacks 48 Senior Officers (see The List) / 7 Years In Vet School, A Nairalander Finally Signed Out (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.