Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,333 members, 7,954,355 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 05:22 PM

Is Dr Alex Ekueme The Most Educated Man From The East? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Dr Alex Ekueme The Most Educated Man From The East? (5420 Views)

Buhari Arrested And Stopped Alex Ekueme From Becoming President After Shagari! / Where Is Dr Abalaka? / Is Dr. Olusola Saraki Christian Or Moslem? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Dr Alex Ekueme The Most Educated Man From The East? by Itoroetti(m): 10:42pm On Oct 21, 2012
I may be wrong with my assumption,but i am of the opinion that alex ekueme is the most educated man from the east.

Alex Ifeanyichukwu Ekwueme

Dr. Alex Ifeanyichukwu Ekwueme (born October 21, 1932) From Oko , Anambra State , Nigeria was the first Vice-President of Nigeria , serving 1979 – 1983.

Education

He started primary school at the St John's Anglican Central School, at Ekwulobia, then he proceeded to King's College , Lagos As an awardee of the Fulbright Scholarship in the United States America (being one of the first Nigerians to gain the award), Alex attended the University of Washington where he earned Bachelors degree in architecture and city planning. He obtained his Masters degree in urban planning. Dr Ekwueme also earned degrees in sociology, history, philosophy and law from University of London. He later proceeded to obtain a Ph.D. in architecture from the University of Strathclyde, before gaining the BL (Honours) degree from the Nigerian Law School .

↑Jump back a section

Career

Alex started his professional career asan Assistant Architect with a Seattle based firm, Leo A. Daly and Associates, and also with the London based firm Nickson and Partners. On his return to Nigeria, he joined ESSO West Africa, Lagos, overseeing the Construction and Maintenance department.

Alex then went on to create a successful private business with his firm - Ekwueme Associates, Architects and Town Planners, the first indigenous architectural firm in Nigeria. His practice flourished with 16 offices spread all over Nigeria and waswound up in preparation for Dr Ekwueme assuming office as the first executive Vice President of Nigeria. Dr. Ekwueme had presided over the Nigerian Institute of Architects and the Architects Registration Council of Nigeria.

He is currently Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Nigerian Institute ofArchitects . Before Dr. Ekwueme gained national and international limelight as the Vice President of Nigeria in 1979, hewas actively involved in the socio-economic development of his community. In addition to his many public service roles within his community, Dr. Ekwueme has an active Educational Trust Fund that has been responsible for sponsoring the education of several hundred youths to universities in Nigeria and abroad. Dr Ekwueme was a member of the housing sub-committee of the Adebo Salaries and Wages Review Commission. He also served for many years on the board of the Anambra State Housing Development Authority On the national front, Dr Ekwueme participated in the Nigeria National Constitutional Conference (NCC) in Abuja, where he served on the “Committee on the Structure and Framework of the Constitution.

His famous proposals at the NCC for a just and equitable power sharing in Nigeria based on the six geopolitical zones have now come to be accepted as necessary for maintaining a stable Nigerian polity. Dr Ekwueme mobilized the group of 34 eminent Nigerians who risked their lives to stand up against the dictatorship of General Sani Abacha during the era of military rule in Nigeria. He was the founding Chairman of the ruling party in Nigeria and was the first Chairman of the party's Board of Trustees. Dr. Ekwueme is a renowned and prolific philanthropist, public servant and a man of peace.

He is a member of the Board of Directors of Canada based Forum of Federations. He is also a member of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Council of Elders. Dr Ekwueme was leader of the team assembled by the National Democratic Institute (NDI) for pre-election monitoring for the parliamentary election in Zimbabwe in 2000. He was the leader of the Organisation of Africa Unity (OAU) observer team to theTanzanian Presidential and Parliamentary election in 2000. Dr Ekwueme co-led the 28 member NDI/Carter Centre sponsored ObserverTeam to the Liberian Presidential run-off election in 2005. Most recently Dr Ekwueme was called upon by the ruling party in Nigeria to head the Reconciliation Committee in the wake of intra-party discord and after the recent presidential election. He has been honoured with the Order of the Republic of Guinea and Nigeria, second highest national honours of Grand Commander of the Order of the Niger (GCON). Dr Ekwueme is the benefactor and Patron of Alex Ekwueme Foundation

He was also a former student of the University of Washington , where he earned his bachelors degree in Architecture. He is a distinguished architect, and was the former president of the Institute of Architects, Nigeria.

if in your opinion,he is not,then who do u think deserves that position?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Dr Alex Ekueme The Most Educated Man From The East? by Yeske2(m): 10:46pm On Oct 21, 2012
Itoroetti :
I may be wrong with my assumption,but i am of the opinion that alex ekueme is the most educated man from the east.

Alex Ifeanyichukwu Ekwueme

Dr. Alex Ifeanyichukwu Ekwueme (born October 21, 1932) From Oko , Anambra State , Nigeria was the first Vice-President of Nigeria , serving 1979 – 1983.

Education

He started primary school at the St John's Anglican Central School, at Ekwulobia, then he proceeded to King's College , Lagos As an awardee of the Fulbright Scholarship in the United States America (being one of the first Nigerians to gain the award), Alex attended the University of Washington where he earned Bachelors degree in architecture and city planning. He obtained his Masters degree in urban planning. Dr Ekwueme also earned degrees in sociology, history, philosophy and law from University of London. He later proceeded to obtain a Ph.D. in architecture from the University of Strathclyde, before gaining the BL (Honours) degree from the Nigerian Law School .

↑Jump back a section

Career

Alex started his professional career asan Assistant Architect with a Seattle based firm, Leo A. Daly and Associates, and also with the London based firm Nickson and Partners. On his return to Nigeria, he joined ESSO West Africa, Lagos, overseeing the Construction and Maintenance department.

Alex then went on to create a successful private business with his firm - Ekwueme Associates, Architects and Town Planners, the first indigenous architectural firm in Nigeria. His practice flourished with 16 offices spread all over Nigeria and waswound up in preparation for Dr Ekwueme assuming office as the first executive Vice President of Nigeria. Dr. Ekwueme had presided over the Nigerian Institute of Architects and the Architects Registration Council of Nigeria.

He is currently Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Nigerian Institute ofArchitects . Before Dr. Ekwueme gained national and international limelight as the Vice President of Nigeria in 1979, hewas actively involved in the socio-economic development of his community. In addition to his many public service roles within his community, Dr. Ekwueme has an active Educational Trust Fund that has been responsible for sponsoring the education of several hundred youths to universities in Nigeria and abroad. Dr Ekwueme was a member of the housing sub-committee of the Adebo Salaries and Wages Review Commission. He also served for many years on the board of the Anambra State Housing Development Authority On the national front, Dr Ekwueme participated in the Nigeria National Constitutional Conference (NCC) in Abuja, where he served on the “Committee on the Structure and Framework of the Constitution.

His famous proposals at the NCC for a just and equitable power sharing in Nigeria based on the six geopolitical zones have now come to be accepted as necessary for maintaining a stable Nigerian polity. Dr Ekwueme mobilized the group of 34 eminent Nigerians who risked their lives to stand up against the dictatorship of General Sani Abacha during the era of military rule in Nigeria. He was the founding Chairman of the ruling party in Nigeria and was the first Chairman of the party's Board of Trustees. Dr. Ekwueme is a renowned and prolific philanthropist, public servant and a man of peace.

He is a member of the Board of Directors of Canada based Forum of Federations. He is also a member of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Council of Elders. Dr Ekwueme was leader of the team assembled by the National Democratic Institute (NDI) for pre-election monitoring for the parliamentary election in Zimbabwe in 2000. He was the leader of the Organisation of Africa Unity (OAU) observer team to theTanzanian Presidential and Parliamentary election in 2000. Dr Ekwueme co-led the 28 member NDI/Carter Centre sponsored ObserverTeam to the Liberian Presidential run-off election in 2005. Most recently Dr Ekwueme was called upon by the ruling party in Nigeria to head the Reconciliation Committee in the wake of intra-party discord and after the recent presidential election. He has been honoured with the Order of the Republic of Guinea and Nigeria, second highest national honours of Grand Commander of the Order of the Niger (GCON). Dr Ekwueme is the benefactor and Patron of Alex Ekwueme Foundation

He was also a former student of the University of Washington , where he earned his bachelors degree in Architecture. He is a distinguished architect, and was the former president of the Institute of Architects, Nigeria.

if in your opinion,he is not,then who do u think deserves that position?
Exactly dear, your assumption(s) is/are wrong.
Re: Is Dr Alex Ekueme The Most Educated Man From The East? by Itoroetti(m): 10:49pm On Oct 21, 2012
Exactly dear, your assumption(s) is/are wrong.

Thank u my brother for your observations.
Re: Is Dr Alex Ekueme The Most Educated Man From The East? by Nobody: 11:06pm On Oct 21, 2012
I am from oko too, this man house is opposite my dad house,i normally go to their house on christmas to eat tho i hardly see him(ekwueme) but the last wife will give me and my cousin new #20 notes then and we will be so happy. His house is a short fence, something you rarely see from a nigerian politician, he is humble and have so many certificate. My dad still have a pict of ekwueme and him during as a brigade boys. I know this man too well and i disagree totally with you op! To say most educated in my village alone is an insult talkmore of anambra, igboland then the whole east! I totally disagree. He isnt even that rich! I can count five ppl richer than him in oko talkmore of anambra. He may be so influencial than most because of his former position but education, i totally disagreeeeeeeeeee!
Re: Is Dr Alex Ekueme The Most Educated Man From The East? by bashr8: 12:16am On Oct 22, 2012
he is a humble man but no the most educated, its even impossible to point out most educated man, where does such happen.
Re: Is Dr Alex Ekueme The Most Educated Man From The East? by Nobody: 12:20am On Oct 22, 2012
Why do Igbo like the word "most" ? Most educated, most successful, most enlightened, most this most that.

4 Likes

Re: Is Dr Alex Ekueme The Most Educated Man From The East? by bashr8: 12:22am On Oct 22, 2012
Prof Corruption: Why do Igbo like the word "most" ? Most educated, most successful, most enlightened, most this most that.
agree or disagree with the op and stop behaving like an imbac..ile

4 Likes

Re: Is Dr Alex Ekueme The Most Educated Man From The East? by Dainfamous: 12:33am On Oct 22, 2012
i didn't no that alex is from oko
Re: Is Dr Alex Ekueme The Most Educated Man From The East? by Nobody: 2:57am On Oct 22, 2012
Da infamous: i didn't no that alex is from oko
yes he is. He was the one that made oko have a polythecnic school. He is been nickname "ide" around oko and enviros
Re: Is Dr Alex Ekueme The Most Educated Man From The East? by EkoIle1: 3:02am On Oct 22, 2012
Prof Corruption: Why do Igbo like the word "most" ? Most educated, most successful, most enlightened, most this most that.

T's the same low self esteem and inferiority complex...

2 Likes

Re: Is Dr Alex Ekueme The Most Educated Man From The East? by 2mch(m): 3:33am On Oct 22, 2012
Toaskarity: I am from oko too, this man house is opposite my dad house,i normally go to their house on christmas to eat tho i hardly see him(ekwueme) but the last wife will give me and my cousin new #20 notes then and we will be so happy. His house is a short fence, something you rarely see from a nigerian politician, he is humble and have so many certificate. My dad still have a pict of ekwueme and him during as a brigade boys. I know this man too well and i disagree totally with you op! To say most educated in my village alone is an insult talkmore of anambra, igboland then the whole east! I totally disagree. He isnt even that rich! I can count five ppl richer than him in oko talkmore of anambra. He may be so influencial than most because of his former position but education, i totally disagreeeeeeeeeee!

Why are you talking about money when the discussion is education? Are you insulting the man because he is not a thief and a criminal? If they robbed the country blind like our present politicians will you even know what a school looks like? Not everyone thinks having obscene money makes them someone. His name will always open doors where your money cannot reach. Mumu. Which school you go sef? You sound like an ESUT student.

4 Likes

Re: Is Dr Alex Ekueme The Most Educated Man From The East? by RickyRoss1(m): 4:35am On Oct 22, 2012
Dr Alex Ekueme is very humble and very educated no doubt, but he is not the most educated in his Local Government Area not to talk of Anambra as a whole.

Such question shouldn't arise in the first place. Its almost impossible to know the most educated in a state, for instance, who is the most educated man from Oyo State or Imo State?
Re: Is Dr Alex Ekueme The Most Educated Man From The East? by kunlekunle: 5:07am On Oct 22, 2012
drunk on achebe brandy
Re: Is Dr Alex Ekueme The Most Educated Man From The East? by Itoroetti(m): 7:52am On Oct 22, 2012
Toaskarity: I am from oko too, this man house is opposite my dad house,i normally go to their house on christmas to eat tho i hardly see him(ekwueme) but the last wife will give me and my cousin new #20 notes then and we will be so happy. His house is a short fence, something you rarely see from a nigerian politician, he is humble and have so many certificate. My dad still have a pict of ekwueme and him during as a brigade boys. I know this man too well and i disagree totally with you op! To say most educated in my village alone is an insult talkmore of anambra, igboland then the whole east! I totally disagree. He isnt even that rich! I can count five ppl richer than him in oko talkmore of anambra. He may be so influencial than most because of his former position but education, i totally disagreeeeeeeeeee!

if he is not,then who else?remember,education is different from bin rich my broda.
Re: Is Dr Alex Ekueme The Most Educated Man From The East? by Itoroetti(m): 7:54am On Oct 22, 2012
bashr8: he is a humble man but no the most educated, its even impossible to point out most educated man, where does such happen.

if he is not,then who else?just mention a man that has the number of certificate he has.
Re: Is Dr Alex Ekueme The Most Educated Man From The East? by Itoroetti(m): 7:55am On Oct 22, 2012

bros,i am not an igbo man neither do i wish to be.
Re: Is Dr Alex Ekueme The Most Educated Man From The East? by CyberG: 8:19am On Oct 22, 2012
Itoroetti :

bros,i am not an igbo man neither do i wish to be.

Why not? Now you want to deny your fathers ojuku, Ashebe and baiafara??
Re: Is Dr Alex Ekueme The Most Educated Man From The East? by kettykin: 8:52am On Oct 22, 2012
The question should rather be is Dr Alex Ekwueme The most Educated Man in/from Nigeria because clearly i dont see any match in the North and the West , if you have any match kindly and politely mention him or bring his CV online

2 Likes

Re: Is Dr Alex Ekueme The Most Educated Man From The East? by slam7000(m): 9:53am On Oct 22, 2012

I also know this mans house,if you are coming from the mini roundabout popularly called "bending corner",his house is flanked by central sch oko and st.john of God anglican church,then across the road just opposite his house is the cemetery by st peters catholic church,police post and a cooperative bank,which one is these is your fathers house??
Alex Ekwueme is well educated and has got a very intimidating CV,the question whether he is the most educated man in the east is a bit childish..
Re: Is Dr Alex Ekueme The Most Educated Man From The East? by slam7000(m): 9:57am On Oct 22, 2012
Toaskarity:
yes he is. He was the one that made oko have a polythecnic school. He is been nickname "ide" around oko and enviros

The name IDE is a title conferred on him by the people of the old Aguata local govt before the creation of now Orumba North and Orumba South.
Re: Is Dr Alex Ekueme The Most Educated Man From The East? by Dainfamous: 9:58am On Oct 22, 2012
kettykin: The question should rather be is Dr Alex Ekwueme The most Educated Man in/from Nigeria because clearly i dont see any match in the North and the West , if you have any match kindly and politely mention him or bring his CV online
gbam!! in the north u will find zero south west oluwale certificates

2 Likes

Re: Is Dr Alex Ekueme The Most Educated Man From The East? by oneeast: 12:05pm On Oct 22, 2012
kettykin: The question should rather be is Dr Alex Ekwueme The most Educated Man in/from Nigeria because clearly i dont see any match in the North and the West , if you have any match kindly and politely mention him or bring his CV online

Spot on nwanne mu
Re: Is Dr Alex Ekueme The Most Educated Man From The East? by Itoroetti(m): 12:39pm On Oct 22, 2012
CyberG:

Why not? Now you want to deny your fathers ojuku, Ashebe and baiafara??

guy ask any igbo guy if d name,"itoro" is their dialect.

1 Like

Re: Is Dr Alex Ekueme The Most Educated Man From The East? by Itoroetti(m): 12:40pm On Oct 22, 2012
[color=#006600][/color]

guy u are really on point.
Re: Is Dr Alex Ekueme The Most Educated Man From The East? by Nobody: 3:42pm On Oct 22, 2012
Re-phrase the question then I will ans you...Kettykin educate the OP
Re: Is Dr Alex Ekueme The Most Educated Man From The East? by kettykin: 4:58pm On Oct 22, 2012
@Itoroetti possibly you can assist the house by opening the thread The most Educated/Intelligent man in/From Nigeria or is Dr Alex Ekwueme the Most Educated man from Nigeria.

@Nairaland Forumites if Ekwueme is the most Educated man of his time then he is the most intelligent Man of his time and the real "Best president Nigeria Never had"

1 Like

Re: Is Dr Alex Ekueme The Most Educated Man From The East? by Nobody: 5:35am On Oct 24, 2012
slam7000:

I also know this mans house,if you are coming from the mini roundabout popularly called "bending corner",his house is flanked by central sch oko and st.john of God anglican church,then across the road just opposite his house is the cemetery by st peters catholic church,police post and a cooperative bank,which one is these is your fathers house??
Alex Ekwueme is well educated and has got a very intimidating CV,the question whether he is the most educated man in the east is a bit
childish..

ur description is right but the cementry is like hundred foot with the catholic church away from his house.Do you know the primary school(st john )opposite across the road thats our compound next to it. Anyway this is turning childish tho.
Re: Is Dr Alex Ekueme The Most Educated Man From The East? by Nobody: 5:51am On Oct 24, 2012
2mch:

Why are you talking about money when the discussion is education? Are you insulting the man because he is not a thief and a criminal? If they robbed the country blind like our present politicians will you even know what a school looks like? Not everyone thinks having obscene money makes them someone. His name will always open doors where your money cannot reach. Mumu. Which school you go sef? You sound like an ESUT student.

Ok my bad for talking abouy money but
1. It is ur mother that is mumu!
2. I go to univ. of texas,
3. Dont worry and dont expect me to read ur reply
for this, i dont know when next i will be here!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

NSCDC Destroys 15 Illegal Refineries, Gears Up For "Ember" Months / Why We Have To Increase Fuel Price Again – President Buhari / List Of Massacres Under PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.