Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,140 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:01 AM

Osun Boosts Cattle Production With 10,000 Capacity Ranch - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Osun Boosts Cattle Production With 10,000 Capacity Ranch (9029 Views)

Eagle Farms And Cattle Ranch In Anambra: The Easiest Way To Stop Fulani Herdsmen / Ondo Begins Bitumen Exploration With 10,000 Barrels Per Day / 10,000 Capacity Multi-level Car-Park For MMIA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Osun Boosts Cattle Production With 10,000 Capacity Ranch by supereagle(m): 4:38am On Oct 22, 2012
GOVERNOR Rauf Aregbesola at the weekend launched a 78.4-hectare, 10, 000- capacity cattle ranch aimed at meeting the beef demand of Osun State as well as the entire South-West when fully operational.

Similar but lager ranches would also be established in Ede and Ejigbo.

He specifically launched the Osun Beef Production outfit (O’Beef). At the commissioning of the ranch located at Oloba Farm Settlement in Iwo, he said it was meant to boost agriculture and mass food production and processing.

Meanwhile, Aregbesola has declared that the country would remain poor despite the huge income from crude oil as long as the leaders fail to properly utilise the income to generate employment.

Speaking at the Education Conference of the National Union of Textile, Garment and Tailoring Workers of Nigeria (NUTGTWN) held in Osogbo, he stated that it was an illusion to claim that the country is rich.

The governor said: “As a government we must be able to produce the food we eat. A government cannot be said to be good if it is incapable of feeding its own people. In Lagos alone, 6,000 cows are slaughtered daily and no state in South-West produces a single one. All these animals come from the North. We intend to target just 10 per cent of the Lagos market.”

For a start, the ranch, which is being managed by a South African expert in conjunction with IITA and Faculty of Agriculture, Obafemi Awolowo University, has 1,500 cattle sourced locally.

According to him, 30 foreign species called the Zambian Boran, would be introduced to the ranch with a view to genetically crossbreeding them with local ones to get a new indigenous specie. When fully in operation, the ranch, which will be run on public private partnership basis, will have modern abattoir that offers services to the people at a lower rate.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=102410:osun-boosts-cattle-production-with-10000-capacity-ranch&catid=1:national&Itemid=559

6 Likes

Re: Osun Boosts Cattle Production With 10,000 Capacity Ranch by Aderostock(m): 7:08am On Oct 22, 2012
Welldone! Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola
Re: Osun Boosts Cattle Production With 10,000 Capacity Ranch by supereagle(m): 7:53am On Oct 22, 2012
South West may not need the North again for Beef incase Nigeria splits before 2015.

3 Likes

Re: Osun Boosts Cattle Production With 10,000 Capacity Ranch by Gbawe: 8:23am On Oct 22, 2012
Aregbesola is certainly working purposefully. I especially like his welfarist and pro-people mien because that , in the short and medium term, is what will save Nigeria i.e responsibly spending the wealth of the Nation to develop Nigeria and Nigerians as a priority policy. The gradualism and pro-elitism of the FG will only make a journey of 10 years turn into one of 100 years.
Re: Osun Boosts Cattle Production With 10,000 Capacity Ranch by PaulJohn1: 8:42am On Oct 22, 2012
Great one there from my governor.
I think the earlier the better we start realizing too much dependence on someone you can't trust is risky, the better.

He should aswell increase his investment on mechanized farming to finally be independent of food and food spices.

Osun A Dara!!! cool
Re: Osun Boosts Cattle Production With 10,000 Capacity Ranch by Standing5(m): 8:53am On Oct 22, 2012
O'Beef . . . Lol . . . Beaf, can you believe this!

1 Like

Re: Osun Boosts Cattle Production With 10,000 Capacity Ranch by Demdem(m): 9:30am On Oct 22, 2012
O'beef. grin grin grin Wonderful.
Aregbe isnt doing bad at all
Re: Osun Boosts Cattle Production With 10,000 Capacity Ranch by Ufeolorun(m): 9:33am On Oct 22, 2012
O'beef noni cheesy
Re: Osun Boosts Cattle Production With 10,000 Capacity Ranch by Gbawe: 9:43am On Oct 22, 2012
Demdem: O'beef. grin grin grin Wonderful.

ACN governors are doing far better than those they replaced but this forum is the wrong place to mention that because folks enjoy revelling in ignorance, pessimism, negativity and ethnic hatred on Nairaland far more than any other Nigerian discussion forum I know.

This is the main Nigerian forum I know where people are always ignorantly asking to be shown things they can find themselves very easily. As if anyone is paid to be a 'teacher' here or to help folks dismiss ignorance/ethnic jingoism they seem to enjoy displaying with pride.
Re: Osun Boosts Cattle Production With 10,000 Capacity Ranch by Ufeolorun(m): 9:48am On Oct 22, 2012
This takes us a tinsy little step closer to integration,Ondo would have been a cake walk if there were solid(ier)grin reasons.A wake up call,yesterday was.
Nice one, the state of Osun.
Re: Osun Boosts Cattle Production With 10,000 Capacity Ranch by Demdem(m): 9:52am On Oct 22, 2012
Gbawe:

ACN governors are doing far better than those they replaced but this forum is the wrong place to mention that because folks enjoy revelling in ignorance, pessimism, negativity and ethnic hatred on Nairaland far more than any other Nigerian discussion forum I know.

This is the main Nigerian forum I know where people are always ignorantly asking to be shown things they can find themselves very easily. As if anyone is paid to be a 'teacher' here or to help folks dismiss ignorance/ethnic jingoism they seem to enjoy displaying with pride.

I agree with the bolded completely. SW did made the right decision.
Re: Osun Boosts Cattle Production With 10,000 Capacity Ranch by Gbawe: 9:53am On Oct 22, 2012
Ufeolorun: This takes us a tinsy little step closer to integration,Ondo would have been a cake walk if there were solid(ier)grin reasons.A wake up call,yesterday was.
Nice one, the state of Osun.

With Ondo, folks on all sides (ACN and LP) should 'bury the hatchet', forget the past and join hands to move the SW forward. The progress of the region should be bigger than the egos of individuals.

6 Likes

Re: Osun Boosts Cattle Production With 10,000 Capacity Ranch by geeez: 9:57am On Oct 22, 2012
Great move Aregbe.

I've always thought of this idea. Perfect
Re: Osun Boosts Cattle Production With 10,000 Capacity Ranch by solomon111(m): 10:05am On Oct 22, 2012
Lol
Re: Osun Boosts Cattle Production With 10,000 Capacity Ranch by Gbawe: 10:07am On Oct 22, 2012
geeez: Great move Aregbe.

I've always thought of this idea. Perfect

Indeed ... but you won't see many praising this inspired move that directly attempts to address the glaring and unacceptably appalling deficiency identified below. If it is to pay homage to negativity and proclaim "only Fashola is working" then we will be on page 10 now.

In Lagos alone, 6,000 cows are slaughtered daily and no state in South-West produces a single one. All these animals come from the North. We intend to target just 10 per cent of the Lagos market.”

For a start, the ranch, which is being managed by a South African expert in conjunction with IITA and Faculty of Agriculture, Obafemi Awolowo University, has 1,500 cattle sourced locally.
Re: Osun Boosts Cattle Production With 10,000 Capacity Ranch by jigawatts(m): 10:07am On Oct 22, 2012
Demdem: O'beef. grin grin grin Wonderful.

Aregbesola is trying to say O'BEAF .. SHARAP grin grin
Re: Osun Boosts Cattle Production With 10,000 Capacity Ranch by Demdem(m): 10:08am On Oct 22, 2012
jigawatts:

Aregbesola is trying to say O'BEAF .. SHARAP grin grin

U can say that again grin grin grin
Re: Osun Boosts Cattle Production With 10,000 Capacity Ranch by a1solution: 10:09am On Oct 22, 2012
Sometime ago there was a thread on Nairaland suggesting this ranch of a thing. Maybe the governor saw it and bought the idea.
Re: Osun Boosts Cattle Production With 10,000 Capacity Ranch by DANILSA(m): 10:12am On Oct 22, 2012
THIS IS WHAT I EXPECTED RATHER THAN KILLING PEOPLE'S CROP TO FEED YOUR COW. NDU_CHUCKS PLEASE READ THIS. THE GOVERNOR NEVER ASKED ALL STATES TO GIVE HIM COW EXPRESS cool BEFORE HE CAN START.THANKS, UR WEARING A GOOD THINKING CAP. cool cool cool

5 Likes

Re: Osun Boosts Cattle Production With 10,000 Capacity Ranch by dridowu: 10:13am On Oct 22, 2012
Job Opportunities on d way for we VETERINARY DOCTORS

3 Likes

Re: Osun Boosts Cattle Production With 10,000 Capacity Ranch by dgitrader(m): 10:16am On Oct 22, 2012
great move. how i wish most southern governors would sincerely follow suite. more massive commercial cattle ranch will definitely create more jobs and drastically reduce the activities of killer-herdsmen!

1 Like

Re: Osun Boosts Cattle Production With 10,000 Capacity Ranch by Saintsquare(m): 10:18am On Oct 22, 2012
Fulani herdsmen in trouble here in SW.
Re: Osun Boosts Cattle Production With 10,000 Capacity Ranch by ayee001: 10:19am On Oct 22, 2012
I have been following Ogbeni closely, I can say I'm very impressed with his actions so far. He seems to target Lagos market in anything he does. That's smart.
Re: Osun Boosts Cattle Production With 10,000 Capacity Ranch by Demdem(m): 10:21am On Oct 22, 2012
Saintsquare: Fulani herdsmen in trouble here in SW.

With time, their beaf wont be needed in the SW and beyond. This will bring down the cost of purchasing each of these cattle. 1500 cattle is a good start and i hope and pray its sustained and capacity increase with time. other states with vast land can easily learn from this.
Re: Osun Boosts Cattle Production With 10,000 Capacity Ranch by Gbawe: 10:29am On Oct 22, 2012
a1solution: Sometime ago there was a thread on Nairaland suggesting this ranch of a thing. Maybe the governor saw it and bought the idea.

No. This is why many insist "information is king". To even criticise/appraise others, you must be informed. There is a scientific approach that can be used for almost everything in life capable of making our efforts far more productive. Many Nairalanders don't seem to understand this concepts with how many want the freedom to speak ignorantly and accept no correction. We must first know the plans and pledges of administrators to then be able to hold them accountable.

What you see now is part of a comprehensive plan for agriculture in a deliberate effort to make Osun a State leveraging progress on it areas of competitive advantages and specific endowment such as agriculture, tourism et al. If many had made themselves aware of preliminary efforts, then this will not come as a surprise to the extent you can think this is an adhoc thing Aregbesola adopted from Nairaland.

Being informed critics is very important for our democracy and progress as it means we control our destiny better through checking administrative indolence and failure. Good governance involves the effort of everyone.

http://ondostatevoice.com/news/osun-state-aregbesola-opens-bilateral-talks-with-german-state-on-food-production-710.htm

Osun State: Aregbesola Opens Bilateral Talks With German State On Food Production

Governor Rauf Aregbesola of the State of Osun has opened discussions with the German state of Saxony Anhalt as part of the state’s determination to further boost its comprehensive agricultural programme.

Aregbesola, who led a delegation of top government functionaries saddled with the massive food production project of his administration to the talks which opened on Monday in Germany, has banishment of hunger as one of the six integral plans of his government.

A statement by the Director, Bureau of Communications and Strategy in the Office of the Governor, Mr. Semiu Okanlawon, said Aregbesola and his team left Nigeria Saturday night and arrived in Germany on Sunday for the discussions on bilateral relationship.

The statement also quoted the governor as reassuring the people of the state of determination of his administration to turn Osun to the food basket of the country.

The Governor of the State of Osun is the first governor from the African continent to be in Germany on the invitation of a German state governor known as Minister President for such bilateral talks.
The Agriculture Minister of the State of Saxony Anhalt, Dr. Hermanne Onko Aikens, is leading talks with Aregbesola on how the two states can explore areas of cooperation on agricultural investments in the state of Osun.

In company with the Governor of the state of Osun is the Commissioner for Agriculture and Food Security, Mr. Wale Adedoyin; Coordinator of the state’s Quick Impact Intervention Programme, Mr. Dele Ogundipe and others.

In November last year, Governor Aregbesola had led another delegation to Zambia on drive to establish abattoir-based massive beef production project in the state.

The beef production project, called O’Beef, has already commenced in the state with leading foreign experts in beef production training interested farmers on how to produce beef in a project aimed at ensuring high income from the venture.

To realise the objectives of the massive food production, the Aregbesola-led administration had set up the Osun Rural Enterprises Agricultural Programme and the QUIIP as part of the vehicles to drive the projects.

The two agencies had supervised massive agriculture land clearing, distribution of improved seedlings, fertilizers, and loans to farmers to aid their planting activities.

As part of the efforts to make agriculture attractive as well, the government has assured farmers of its readiness to transport their farm produce free of charge to large markets in Lagos through its memorandum of understanding with the Nigeria Railway Cooperation, (NRC).
Re: Osun Boosts Cattle Production With 10,000 Capacity Ranch by mapet: 10:30am On Oct 22, 2012
@ Bros Gbawe,

NEVER TRUST POLITICIANS. What unites and divides them is INTEREST. You'll be shocked the next time you see Mimiko and Tinubu/Fayemi/Aregbesola etc working together for another objective....... my prayer is that provided it furthers the sustainable development requirements in south west.....we are all the same

Gbawe:

With Ondo, folks on all sides (ACN and LP) should 'bury the hatchet', forget the past and join hands to move the SW forward. The progress of the region should be bigger than the egos of individuals.
Re: Osun Boosts Cattle Production With 10,000 Capacity Ranch by Ufeolorun(m): 10:36am On Oct 22, 2012
Gbawe:

I pray so.The over riding objective is getting things done anyway.
Re: Osun Boosts Cattle Production With 10,000 Capacity Ranch by redsun(m): 10:38am On Oct 22, 2012
This is the kind of investments nigeria needs dearly.Apart from making food available at affordable rates,it will create series of jobs,diversified small industries and most of all,help check the menace of fulani cattle wanderers.
Re: Osun Boosts Cattle Production With 10,000 Capacity Ranch by Nobody: 10:39am On Oct 22, 2012
Hopw they are grassfed and not those hormone breeds that cause all kinds of ailments in western countries.
Re: Osun Boosts Cattle Production With 10,000 Capacity Ranch by killuminati(m): 10:40am On Oct 22, 2012
Aint no beef like the one we got!
Re: Osun Boosts Cattle Production With 10,000 Capacity Ranch by redsun(m): 10:43am On Oct 22, 2012
Ufeolorun:
I pray so.The over riding objective is getting things done anyway.

All you muderfuckers see is just south west,south east,north east and dem muderfcking tags,as if nigeria has been divided.

Cant you see the big pictures?cave minds.
Re: Osun Boosts Cattle Production With 10,000 Capacity Ranch by mapet: 10:45am On Oct 22, 2012
....That's the logical thing to do considering that Osun in reality is a poor state.

In Osun we need to get thr wrong mentality of "Civil Servant" state out of our heads. We need to be a commercial state for our lot to improve. For short term the logical thing to do is to target the business nerve centre which is Lagos.

The last time I went to Ilobu, with 5k, I was dumbfounded with the food stuff the money bought, compared to the prices of stuffs in Lagos. I pity those farmers....

I watched video documentary on farmlands in China and how local farmers that were peasants some years back have be turned to rich folks. Aquaculture, Apples and Grapes plantations and lots of cashcrops. I was more impressed with the Buffalo rearing business, how a modest cattle rancher turned buffalo breading into money spinning venture.

I sincerely hope this will be welcomed in Osun and pursued vigorously. My concern is that we may be beclouded by our conventional academic status and we feel such ventures are for "second class" citizen who in a few years will be millionares, while the graduate will be fighting for increase in "teachers salaries" wink
ayee001: I have been following Ogbeni closely, I can say I'm very impressed with his actions so far. He seems to target Lagos market in anything he does. That's smart.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Immigration Has Opened Their Portal For Recruitment Again! ;D / Chek Out The Lies Spread By An Iranian Tv Station About The Shia Attack - Video / Effective,functional,perfect Architectural Design And Construction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.