Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,976 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:02 AM

Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? (13474 Views)

If I Were You,i'd Be Too Ashamed To Mock Change: Oby Ezekwesili (photo) / Nigeria Is Finished! I Am Ashamed Of My Country - Pics / Why APC Can’t Be Ashamed Of Aregbesola – Lai Mohammed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by igbo2011(m): 12:51am On Oct 24, 2012
no I am always proud to be nigeria. I wear African clothes all the time and i talk about Africa and nigeria all the time!! if you learn about the great histroyo f Africa why would you be ashamed?

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by tevinsolt: 12:53am On Oct 24, 2012
No......i'm not ashamed to tell the world Nigeria is big screw up either embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by Desola(f): 12:54am On Oct 24, 2012
Truckpusher: If you are so ashamed of being a Nigerian,what are you doing in a Nigerian forumANSA ME NOW.

That I am ashamed of being one does not relegate me to being stateless. I am afterall still Nigerian, albeit a reluctant one and so long as I am one, I have equal rights just as you to comment on anything related to Nigeria. You comprehend?

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by Okontami: 12:56am On Oct 24, 2012
Yes, I feel so ashamed a lot of times but I defend Naija with passion when talking about issues. Inside me, I know am just being patriotic and not being realistic, but I still try my best to defend my nationality. Its really painful being a Nigerian in reality. The country is designed to make you suffer no matter how much you've got. You make the money you are afraid of armed robbers, when you don't have the money, you are afraid of being lynched by petty robbers, the security situation is pathetic and put tears on my face. The police are almost good for nothing, the government is only paying lips service to security. Security is a major concern. You dont feel safe in Nigeria, honestly. Young ones don't have jobs and our politicians are stealing billions that they will never spend. I used to work for the bank, these guys are only making money for the banks. Our leaders are so greedy, they steal billions,the question is what for?? With just the little I earn, I know the quality of life I live and what I have. What are our greedy leaders stealing for?? There is no power. Nepa is failing. Our hospitals are failures, even Patience Goodluck did not trust in our medical system. Our schools are in shambles, our judicial system is almost crap. The rule of law in Nigeria is a joke. Am so ashamed for being a Nigerian a lot of times when people from sane countries with very little resources talk about the facts and figures but I always defend Naija.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by 3RNEST(m): 12:56am On Oct 24, 2012
i concur with those dat are nt proud of been nigerian due to circumstances behind the country, they are some places in dis world, u can be proud to open ur mouth to say "i,m nigerian" shit dem fit hang u.
as for me nigeria is where am originated from so been proud of being nigerian mk my forefather happy, come to think of it, why are we green? i mean the flag and all dat, is green a bad color? can somebody hit me with an ans?
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by cjrane: 12:59am On Oct 24, 2012
When i was younger and more naive, i was so quick and proud to say "I'm a Nigerian!"
These days, i only admit i'm a Nigerian when i am talking to a fellow Nigerian. Sometimes,the mere mention of the word "Nigeria" makes people view you very very negatively.
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by PBundles(m): 1:00am On Oct 24, 2012
The short and simple answer is YES. Some of the responses actually show why we have issues in Nigeria, because there is no accountability in Nigeria and when we have it its seen in the wrong light as if you are unpatriotic or hate your country. We love to make ourselves feel good with lies we know arent true. I think its the way Nigerian have learned to cope, afterwards the poor man always say, Tomorrow go better, when he knows it wont.

To make my point all the more clear, ask yourself the following. If you stole and got caught or did a crime in which your family's name was all over the news, would your parents be proud. If they asked your parents are you ashamed, would their answer be, No my child rocks, afterwards no one is perfect. You and I know such and answer would not be welcomed. A good parent would say YES Im ashamed because I raised him/her better then that but I still love him/her because its my child, but what he did was bad.

A country that pays politicians more then The President of the US, yet minimum wage is barely $120 a month.
The new kidnap capital of the world (not my subjctive opinion, but FACT).
Where citizens are not safe EVEN at the hands of their own police.
University students cant graduate in 4 years because of strikes.
A country where the rich go abroad when they get sick (even our own president doesnt trust the life of his wife to Nigerian hospitals)
Constant electricty is seen as a luxury in the 21st century, yet most have laptops and Ipads.
More then half of our GDP goes to salaries and government ops yet we dont have a viable pension or social plan
A country where most are on or below the poverty level.
Where terrorists are harboured and aided by the same people we voted into office to serve us.

So to answer your question YES, though I love that country Im deeply ashamsed of what we have become and the sooner we come to the realisation that we have let ourselves down, the quicker the healing and progession can begin. We need to stop fooling ourselves. It is what it is, but dont pretend you dont see it and dont confuse repremanding with not loving. I reprmand my child BECAUSE i love him.

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by batiatus(m): 1:06am On Oct 24, 2012
cjrane: When i was younger and more naive, i was so quick and proud to say "I'm a Nigerian!"
These days, i only admit i'm a Nigerian when i am talking to a fellow Nigerian. Sometimes,the mere mention of the word "Nigeria" makes people view you very very negatively.
everyone does that, meet an iraqi and the only that first came to my mind was how was roadside bomb in his country. for no reason i believe all mexicans are drug addict. one just have to put up a strong face, not easy though. i cant forget one lady i told i was a nigerian, reaction changed sharply grin
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by Horus(m): 1:08am On Oct 24, 2012

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by Okontami: 1:09am On Oct 24, 2012
Guys, the most painful thing again is not only the government but the citizens of Nigeria. Some of the 160Million population are kidnappers, armed robbers, prostitutes, ritual killers, 419s , suicide bombers, lynchers , evil minded individuals, militants, Bribe givers and bribe takers

The local government officials are stealing money for their constituencies, the governors are stealing, the regulatory officials are stealing monies and taking bribes. Its a real shame. How do you want me to be proud of this country. What for?? Its terrible

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by 50calibre(m): 1:13am On Oct 24, 2012
"You can't hide a disease that doesn't hide itself" Nigeria may be plagued by all sorts of evil and may even have a very bad reputation in the outside world, but fact of the matter is if you are a Nigerian, you will forever be a Nigerian so why not accept it whole heartedly and try to be a success in your own life? It even makes you value your success.

At times when I pass through border control and present my Nigerian passport, I get a kind of look from the official but I don't care because I'm proud of my origin, i am street smart, i induce fear into the minds of people by mentioning Nigeria, i am not gullible, i can compete with anyone academically and most of all i am from an oil rich nation so f**k it i dont care

If people like Ann Sang Sun Kyi was ashamed of her country she could have dissociated herself fro
Her country and couldnt have won a noble prize.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by seedord247(m): 1:14am On Oct 24, 2012
Desola:

Not really...but definitely because I share the same green passport with ignoramus like you.

No it bcus you shared the same brain with a tortoise. sad

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by Callotti: 1:16am On Oct 24, 2012
Only in Nigeria, AM I EVER ASHAMED TO BE A NIGERIAN. . . NEVER OUT OF NIGERIA.
I don't feel like a Nigerian outside Nigeria. . . I FEEL HUMAN!!!!!
I only hang out with professionals who do me proud and vice versa! kiss
Not riff-raffs! cool
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by onila(f): 1:18am On Oct 24, 2012
never

always proud

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by seedord247(m): 1:19am On Oct 24, 2012
Okontami: Guys, the most painful thing again is not only the government but the citizens of Nigeria. Some of the 160Million population are kidnappers, armed robbers, prostitutes, ritual killers, 419s , suicide bombers, lynchers , evil minded individuals, militants, Bribe givers and bribe takers

The local government officials are stealing money for their constituencies, the governors are stealing, the regulatory officials are stealing monies and taking bribes. Its a real shame. How do you want me to be proud of this country. What for?? Its terrible

Like ya username says.... Do you know that the crimes commited in new orleans and detroit is equivalent to the whole crimes commited in nigeria..

No place is safe in this world even uk that does not permit gun

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by cjrane: 1:19am On Oct 24, 2012
batiatus:
everyone does that, meet an iraqi and the only that first came to my mind was how was roadside bomb in his country. for no reason i believe all mexicans are drug addict. one just have to put up a strong face, not easy though. i cant forget one lady i told i was a nigerian, reaction changed sharply grin

Bros,except for our musicians and Nollywood actors, there is absolutely nothing to be proud of being a Nigerian. Believe me, you can put up a strong face for a country you believe is unfairly labelled and try to defend it. But, 99.9% of what many people think of Nigerians is correct or they actually experienced it! Even as you are there, many will start telling you they heard Nigerians can't even tolerate themselves or other religions. Before you open your mouth to deny it or "air-brush" the stereotype, you hear the other Nigerians right there in the group,Edo,Igbo,Yoruba etc begin to tell the bewildered foreigners it is the "other" groups who are responsible for all Nigeria's woes and how they wish those people will be cut off and joined to Chad,Cameroon or Benin. Nigeria is indeed a shameful place to belong to these days.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by KayDee4: 1:23am On Oct 24, 2012
Proudly naija!!!

I have never and will never deny Nigeria.
My environment here is such that most people(Americans) around me have either been to, or have friends and relatives working in Nigeria and they always tell me its a nice place (whether them dey psyche me, I no know) but of course i always agree with them and add salt and pepper to their stories to make it sweeter; but in reality and sadly, there's nothing much about naija to boast of.

5 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by 50calibre(m): 1:31am On Oct 24, 2012
cjrane: When i was younger and more naive, i was so quick and proud to say "I'm a Nigerian!"

It's quite funny you think you are no longer naive now you are older whereas the reverse is the case.

It should be a great source of concern to you that when you were young you had a greater sense of identity which seems to have disappeared as you get older? Normally people tend to develop greater self confidence and self esteem as the grow older but your is the other way, don't you feel it's a kind of retardation?

Well anyone who is stupid enough to view you negatively just for the mere fact you are Nigerian, is stupid and you shouldn't even have anything to do with such a stupid person whatsoever.

Some people relinquish their American citizenships just to pick up citizenships like Singaporean, Cuban, Gambian etc

Seek therapeutic help, what you are going through is a recognized psychological issue

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by cjrane: 1:40am On Oct 24, 2012
50calibre:

It's quite funny you think you are no longer naive now you are older whereas the reverse is the case.

It should be a great source of concern to you that when you were young you had a greater sense of identity which seems to have disappeared as you get older? Normally people tend to develop greater self confidence and self esteem as the grow older but your is the other way, don't you feel it's a kind of retardation?

Well anyone who is stupid enough to view you negatively just for the mere fact you are Nigerian, is stupid and you shouldn't even have anything to do with such a stupid person whatsoever.

Some people relinquish their American citizenships just to pick up citizenships like Singaporean, Cuban, Gambian etc

Seek therapeutic help, what you are going through is a recognized psychological issue

Bros, you can speak all your grammar and make all the pretenses in the world about the issue. Good for you. I am not talking about African Americans in their hood or some other ill informed population.Perhaps you have never held a very sensitive position before in a global bank such as RBS. If you did, you will understand completely that merely speaking the word " Nigerian" makes many of your customers very uneasy about dealing with you. I would not worry if you "air brush" this concern because you have never dealt with people in the population i am dealing with,but someday, by God's grace you shall get there. I hope you will remember that this was perhaps what Cjrane was expressing to you years back.You will see how uncomfortable people will feel giving you their sensitive information after you've answered the question "Where are you originally from? "

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by tujays(m): 1:53am On Oct 24, 2012
FreeGlobe: have never been proud of Nigeria. Never been proud of boko haram or corruption oozing from certain part of the coutry. Proud of Biafra - the land of the sunrise. idgaf cool
see this slowpoke blaming boko haram on Nigeria bad name. Ever since before boko naija already got bad name coz of those your cursed biafran monkeys selling drugs and cheating people abroad just to come home and impress em folks and you are here putting blames on boko that just came up yesterday. Fool! it's igbos and our corrupt politicians that tarnished Nigeria image abroad most especially the igbos.
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by 2sexy(m): 2:12am On Oct 24, 2012
naijababe: Never have, never will. Omo naija ni mi.......monkey no fine but hin mama like am
hmmm... Now I know y u detest d igbo origin question I threw at you.
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by princeonx: 2:13am On Oct 24, 2012
To those of you who love Nigeria so much, my question is: To the best of your knowledge, and all/everything you know about Nigeria, if Nigeria was/is a human (woman or man) will you marry him/her? If you are really sick, and Nigeria is a hospital, will you want to be admitted there?
The truth is we are all saying this because we are/were born Nigerians. Lets for once think like non-nigerians, is nigeria safe for visitors, friends, and family? is our roads safe/good both for driving and traveling? how about our hospitals, schools, etc? Some of you might challenge that those negative things are also every where but truth be told, naija own is pathetic! most of us here are being typical nigerians for not even saying the truth! Personally, If I wasn't born a Nigerian or had any root with Nigeria, with all I know about naija, I will NEVER step foot into that country period.
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by Tutone22: 2:28am On Oct 24, 2012
Always ashamed especially when travelling out of Nigeria, to another country with that passport that makes you look like a thief.
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by Nobody: 2:44am On Oct 24, 2012
No Country is perfect, however, some Countries are more perfect than others......

IF someone uses my Nationality to judge my character, then that person isn't smart enough to get my respect......

Nigeria has never dropped an atomic bomb on any country, taken others as slaves, and never committed any sort of genocide.......

Even Nationalities of these Countries I described above are proud of their Countries, why shouldn't I be proud of mine? wink wink wink wink wink wink

Therefore, I can never be ashamed of my beloved Country.

4 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by greatgod2012(f): 2:44am On Oct 24, 2012
acidtalk: If countries were for sale would you buy Nigeria?

https://www.nairaland.com/1062365/countries-sale-buy-nigeria

yes, i will buy Nigeria and change what i dont like about her!

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by KayDee4: 2:53am On Oct 24, 2012
prince_onx: To those of you who love Nigeria so much, my question is: To the best of your knowledge, and all/everything you know about Nigeria, if Nigeria was/is a human (woman or man) will you marry him/her? If you are really sick, and Nigeria is a hospital, will you want to be admitted there?
The truth is we are all saying this because we are/were born Nigerians. [b] Lets for once think like non-nigerians, [b] is nigeria safe for visitors, friends, and family? is our roads safe/good both for driving and traveling? how about our hospitals, schools, etc? Some of you might challenge that those negative things are also every where but truth be told, naija own is pathetic! most of us here are being typical nigerians for not even saying the truth! Personally, If I wasn't born a Nigerian or had any root with Nigeria, with all I know about naija, I will NEVER step foot into that country period.

If we were non-Nigerians, we'll probably not even bother about Nigeria as a country but since its our country of origin, we're joined at the hip and a total divorce would be impossible. A lot of things are bad and terrible for shizzle, but we still try to see the positives in it (which is extremely difficult). People try to be optimistic about a better Nigeria and hang on to the small trace of hope which keeps dimming everyday.
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by greatgod2012(f): 2:58am On Oct 24, 2012
What is Nigeria without Nigerians? Can Nigeria as a country be responsible 4 all this our stealing, insecurity,(of lives&properties),bad leadership,power intoxication,no-love syndrome, extortions, religious intolerance,cheating(exploitation), evils, etc dt we perpetrate in this Nigeria or nigerians.let us stop deceiving ourselves. No Nigeria without Nigerians, d fact is dt i am not ashamed because of this xtry, but im ashamed because of nigerians. If we all change 4 d better in dis xtry, i bet it , Nigeria will be better off. May God help us all.
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by Truckpusher(m): 3:03am On Oct 24, 2012
seedord247:

Is it because you get free food stamp. sad
BADT GUY
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by Truckpusher(m): 3:28am On Oct 24, 2012
tevinsolt: No......i'm not ashamed to tell the world Nigeria is big screw up either embarassed
have u taken your med today?
Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by justsayemma(m): 3:58am On Oct 24, 2012
No,until I saw d movie,black berry babes.Imagine foreigners watchin how grown women were foolin dia selves because of black berry ,dats is ordinary in advance countries. Won't they laf @ us?

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by Roforofo(m): 4:42am On Oct 24, 2012
Every DAMN day! I love our honest hardworking people but hate what has become of our country. Lack of basic healthcare, sanitation, roads, light, education, jobs, security, stupid and mindless religiosity.........the list goes on. I am Nigerian by by birth but only use my passport to travel to Nigeria. For every other country I use my EU passport. We have such a terrible reputation that I cannot be bothered with the hassle of the stigma attached to us. Life is too short and my so called country Nigeria no kukuma send me!

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian? by DWJOBScom(m): 5:02am On Oct 24, 2012
Nope - I proudly announce it and have never failed in it grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

MEET THE FAMOUS AFIKPOCHIC (Her pics & Info) / Insurgents Using Illegal Mining To Finance Banditry – Military / Maduka Donates Handsomely At Catholic Women Convention, As They Vowed To Deliver

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.