Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,618 members, 7,809,266 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:01 AM

Muskeeto, Ihedinobi, Lb...lets Talk Here :-) - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Muskeeto, Ihedinobi, Lb...lets Talk Here :-) (11356 Views)

PastorOluT, Lets Talk. / Lets Talk; Christians Dating Unbelievers. / Reincarnation - Deepsight, Let's Talk Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Muskeeto, Ihedinobi, Lb...lets Talk Here :-) by Nobody: 9:32pm On Nov 02, 2012
musKeeto:

Being a Nigerian means you are part of the problem, you have to accept that. Everyone's a part of the problem.

It's in human nature to react to harsh conditions. The system in Nigeria is not the best. The 'government officials' were once normal citizens. This is the point I believe Plaetton made earlier. Most 'normal citizens' are just 'corrupt government officials'-in-waiting.

Being a Nigerian doesnt mean that I'm necessarily part of the problem. angry So Nigerians born and living abroad are contributing to corruption in Nigeria?

I agree with your other parts of your comment
Re: Muskeeto, Ihedinobi, Lb...lets Talk Here :-) by Nobody: 9:38pm On Nov 02, 2012
musKeeto:
This is a wrong assertion. Nigerians 'grab/steal/loot' because it's become the norm AND people get away with it. The judiciary/courts are more or less non-existent. The larger the crime, the easier it is to escape,as long as you can access/rub the right backs.. Where crimes are not punished, man is forced to fend for himself leading to mass looting, and other indirect incidents ALUU..

Meh, how are you disagreeing with me?

Consider the underlined. Why is it the norm?

Why are crimes not punished?

Don't we agree that, generally, the average Nigerian is forced to fend for himself?

You're not disagreeing with me. While you're swamped with the symptoms, I'm dealing with root causes.
Re: Muskeeto, Ihedinobi, Lb...lets Talk Here :-) by Nobody: 9:41pm On Nov 02, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Meh, how are you disagreeing with me?

Consider the underlined. Why is it the norm?

Why are crimes not punished?

Don't we agree that, generally, the average Nigerian is forced to fend for himself?

You're not disagreeing with me. While you're swamped with the symptoms, I'm dealing with root causes.
And what's this root cause?
Re: Muskeeto, Ihedinobi, Lb...lets Talk Here :-) by wiegraf: 9:49pm On Nov 02, 2012
Let me attempt to explain something using amateurish psychology/biology.

I could come up with some software program that has prospects of generating millions in naira monthly. Younger people might get it, but only because they're familiar with gates, zuckenberg et al. The vast majority of older people won't. They're not familiar with the IT world, and believe it or not, importantly, they cannot physically see/hold software*; software is virtual, or abstract. I could show up instead with some simple proposal based on physical goods which would generate only thousands a month yet this will generate more interest, perhaps even from the younger generation. Now note, this isn't a case of you can't teach an old dog new tricks, it's a case of people preferring to not use their imaginations. I'll call people that prefer the physical sensors, and those that prefer abstract/imagination intuitives. Sensors would learn new tricks if the payoff involved was confirmed, ie, they see a lot of people blinging using similar means. Their refusal to assign any weight to abstract ideas in particular is what I'm trying to highlight as a potential problem. Sensors could be creative pimping up a car, that's cool but it's a physical accomplishment with a mostly physical payoff. They could also be dependable at boring rote work, like say accounting, this is fine and indeed useful as well. But doing accounting is nothing new, it's a safe way to go about quietly building a fortune. So while sensors are useful, especially in day to day management of life, we happen to have far too many, to the point it's cancer. And this traits may be written into our genes according to some.

Why do I think cancer? Examples. A child shows prodigious talent as an artist, parent squishes it relentlessly. They won't want to consider that the child could become an unprecedented success, or that he would simply be happy doing what he's actually good at and loves, even if broke. They'd just want your average, normal family, success in the normal way. They'd reason, "How many successful artists do you see around?". At the end of the day had he become an artist success would have been a gamble yes, but society has now lost a potential genius that might have enacted some paradigm shift that would aid all greatly and gained a (probable) clerk instead. He might even be a rich clerk, doesn't change the fact that he'd still be a clerk, gaining material wealth but not providing society a key ingredient to success, new knowledge or innovation.

A woman I know whose been around the world, enough to speak multiple european languages comes back here and lives very much like she never left the village. Is she going to visit a doctor today? Na herbalist she dey go see. She grew up with herbalists, and all those european doctors with their alien knowledge don't know squat, they are speaking out of their behinds. I've seen this same woman needlessly hustle for 100 naira then immediately spend hundreds of thousands on non essential elements of her car. After all, the car needs to look good. Not to mention, it's just standard nigerian to needlessly hustle for every.single.naira. Even when the hustle actually costs you dearly when you factor in resources you wasted, opportunities missed, relationships spoiled, etc. Doesn't matter, that's how it's done in 9ja, don't think about it.

Or even aluu, without a doubt one of the reasons it generated such an outcry was that there was a video. You would think just being told (well, so long as there's irrefutable evidence it occurred) would be enough to send people over the edge, but they actually had to see the video first. They could not, or did not bother to, use their imaginations.

Understand this, these people are not some sort of evil, many would give a stranger the shirt on their backs if they could physically confirm his pain, they just choose to not rely on imagination. So it's very much a world view built around what they see, not what they think. Again, this is a trait considered biological by some.

I could go on and on with different scenarios. What does it lead to for a society? There are many positives, many negatives as well. Negatives include for instance, little value on gaining knowledge for the sake of gaining knowledge (a key reason the west is so successful is because it regards any knowledge as good knowledge). A general disregard for alien knowledge of all sorts, even if shown to be successful in other parts of the world (sure follow the whitey at times, but that is also a fad, mirroring their efforts without deliberating on them ourselves, providing new ideas from within, etc). The tendency to not notice glaring hypocrisy and shortsightedness. The tendency to not get really creative when the going gets tough, after all their brains are not attuned to that kind of use. The question of honor and conscience, the prospect of certain conclusions could torment an intuitive to no end, him imagining all sorts of horrors for even ostensibly benign situations. For sensors, demons of that nature aren't that much of a factor. Heck, intuitives could even readily take on work with no physical payoff at all, they'd just want knowledge or some abstract payoff in exchange. Quality of their work could be better as their goal would not just be cash. They'd more likely see money as a tool, not the goal. Etc,etc,etc,etc,etc (note how many of these are related to ignorance)

Tl: dr; focus on physical, probably a biological trait, is a core problem. This does not necessarily mean physical lovers (or sensors in another speak) are nefarious, we just have too many of them here, leading to a population prone to chronic shortsightedness
, among other things.

*Steve jobs understood this well. Many a hardcore techy has been left bewildered by apples success. They don't focus on flashy, they focus on the actual meat of the product. What can it do now? What can it possibly do in the future? In most of these categories apple fails miserably, but it succeeds in what matters a lot to the majority of sensors (who make up most of the population), looking flashy. Not to mention that as these people don't like to waste their energy thinking, so apples general simplified ui appeals.

Edits: nothing much
Re: Muskeeto, Ihedinobi, Lb...lets Talk Here :-) by Nobody: 11:13pm On Nov 02, 2012
musKeeto:
And what's this root cause?

It's in the correct answers to my second and third questions.
Re: Muskeeto, Ihedinobi, Lb...lets Talk Here :-) by Nobody: 11:24pm On Nov 02, 2012
wiegraf: Let me attempt to explain something using amateurish psychology/biology.

I could come up with some software program that has prospects of generating millions in naira monthly. Younger people might get it, but only because they're familiar with gates, zuckenberg et al. The vast majority of older people won't. They're not familiar with the IT world, and believe it or not, importantly, they cannot physically see/hold software*. I could show up instead with some simple proposal based on physical goods which would generate only thousands a month yet this will generate more interest, dare I say even from the younger generation. Now note, this isn't a case of you can't teach an old dog new tricks, it's a case of people refusing to use their imagination. I'll call people that prefer the physical sensors, and those that prefer abstract/imagination intuitives. Sensors would learn new tricks if the payoff involved was confirmed, ie, they see a lot of people blinging using similar means. Their refusal to assign any weight to abstract ideas in particular is what I'm trying to highlight as a potential problem. Sensors could be creative pimping up a car, that's cool but it's a physical accomplishment with a mostly physical payoff. They could also be dependable at boring rote work, like say accounting, this is fine and indeed useful as well. But doing accounting is nothing new, it's a safe way to go about quietly building a fortune. So while sensors are useful, especially in day to day management of life, we have far too many, to the point it's cancer. And this traits may be written into our genes according to some.

Why do I think cancer? Examples. A child shows prodigious talent as an artist, parent squishes it relentlessly. They won't want to consider that the child could become an unprecedented success, or that he would simply be happy doing what he's actually good at and loves, even if broke. They'd just want your average, normal family, success in the normal way. They'd reason, "How many successful artists do you see around?". At the end of the day, it's a gamble yes, but society has now lost a potential genius that might have enacted some paradigm shift that would aid all greatly and gained a (probable) clerk instead. He might even be a rich clerk, doesn't change the fact that he'd still be a clerk, gaining material wealth but not providing society a key ingredient to success, new knowledge.

A woman I know whose been around the world, enough to speak multiple european languages comes back here and lives very much like she never left the village. Is she going to visit a doctor today? Na herbalist she dey go see. She grew up with herbalists, and all those european doctors with their new knowledge don't know squat, they are speaking out of their behinds. I've seen this same woman needlessly hustle for 100 naira then immediately spend hundreds of thousands on non essential elements of her car. After all, the car needs to look good. Not to mention, it's just standard nigerian to needlessly hustle for every.single.naira. Even when the hustle actually costs you dearly when you factor in resources you wasted, opportunities missed, relationships spoiled, etc. Doesn't matter, that's how it's done in 9ja, don't think about it.

Or even aluu, without a doubt one of the reasons it generated such an outburst was because there was a video. You would think just being told (well, so long as there's irrefutable evidence it occurred) would be enough to send people over the edge, but they actually had to see the video first. They could not, rather did not bother, to use their imaginations.

Understand this, these people are not some sort of evil, many would give a stranger the shirt on their backs if they could physically confirm his pain, they just choose to not rely on imagination. So it's very much a world view built around what they see, not what they think. Again, this is a trait considered biological by some.

I could go on and on with different scenarios. What does it lead to for a society? There are many positives, many negatives as well. Negatives include for instance, little value on gaining knowledge for the sake of gaining knowledge (a key reason the west is so successful is because it regards any knowledge as good knowledge). A general disregard for alien knowledge of all sorts, even if shown to be successful in the rest of the world (sure follow the whitey at times, but that is also a fad, mirroring their efforts without deliberating on them ourselves, providing new ideas from within, etc). The tendency to not notice glaring hypocrisy and shortsightedness. . .

Interesting pov. In fact, it appeals to me greatly. I'll however point out that everyone's a little bit of both. Even though I think each individual is more one than the other.

I will try to address it in the context of this discussion a little later though.
Re: Muskeeto, Ihedinobi, Lb...lets Talk Here :-) by Nobody: 11:25pm On Nov 02, 2012
wiegraf: Let me attempt to explain something using amateurish psychology/biology.

I could come up with some software program that has prospects of generating millions in naira monthly. Younger people might get it, but only because they're familiar with gates, zuckenberg et al. The vast majority of older people won't. They're not familiar with the IT world, and believe it or not, importantly, they cannot physically see/hold software*. I could show up instead with some simple proposal based on physical goods which would generate only thousands a month yet this will generate more interest, dare I say even from the younger generation. Now note, this isn't a case of you can't teach an old dog new tricks, it's a case of people refusing to use their imagination. I'll call people that prefer the physical sensors, and those that prefer abstract/imagination intuitives. Sensors would learn new tricks if the payoff involved was confirmed, ie, they see a lot of people blinging using similar means. Their refusal to assign any weight to abstract ideas in particular is what I'm trying to highlight as a potential problem. Sensors could be creative pimping up a car, that's cool but it's a physical accomplishment with a mostly physical payoff. They could also be dependable at boring rote work, like say accounting, this is fine and indeed useful as well. But doing accounting is nothing new, it's a safe way to go about quietly building a fortune. So while sensors are useful, especially in day to day management of life, we have far too many, to the point it's cancer. And this traits may be written into our genes according to some.

Why do I think cancer? Examples. A child shows prodigious talent as an artist, parent squishes it relentlessly. They won't want to consider that the child could become an unprecedented success, or that he would simply be happy doing what he's actually good at and loves, even if broke. They'd just want your average, normal family, success in the normal way. They'd reason, "How many successful artists do you see around?". At the end of the day, it's a gamble yes, but society has now lost a potential genius that might have enacted some paradigm shift that would aid all greatly and gained a (probable) clerk instead. He might even be a rich clerk, doesn't change the fact that he'd still be a clerk, gaining material wealth but not providing society a key ingredient to success, new knowledge.

A woman I know whose been around the world, enough to speak multiple european languages comes back here and lives very much like she never left the village. Is she going to visit a doctor today? Na herbalist she dey go see. She grew up with herbalists, and all those european doctors with their new knowledge don't know squat, they are speaking out of their behinds. I've seen this same woman needlessly hustle for 100 naira then immediately spend hundreds of thousands on non essential elements of her car. After all, the car needs to look good. Not to mention, it's just standard nigerian to needlessly hustle for every.single.naira. Even when the hustle actually costs you dearly when you factor in resources you wasted, opportunities missed, relationships spoiled, etc. Doesn't matter, that's how it's done in 9ja, don't think about it.

Or even aluu, without a doubt one of the reasons it generated such an outburst was because there was a video. You would think just being told (well, so long as there's irrefutable evidence it occurred) would be enough to send people over the edge, but they actually had to see the video first. They could not, rather did not bother, to use their imaginations.

I could go on and on with different scenarios. What does it lead to for a society? There are many positives, many negatives as well. Negatives include for instance, little value on gaining knowledge for the sake of gaining knowledge (a key reason the west is so successful is because it regards any knowledge as good knowledge). A general disregard for alien knowledge of all sorts, even if shown to be successful in the rest of the world (sure follow the whitey at times, but that is also a fad, mirroring their efforts without deliberating on them ourselves, providing new ideas from within, etc). The tendency to not notice glaring hypocrisy and shortsightedness. The tendency to not get really creative when the going gets tough, after all their brains are not attuned to that kind of use. The question of honor and conscience, the prospect of certain scenarios could torment an intuitive to no end, him imagining all sorts of horrors for even ostensibly benign scenarios. For sensors, demons of that nature aren't that much of a factor. Heck, intuitives could even readily take on work with no physical payoff at all, they'd just want knowledge or some abstract payoff in exchange. Quality of their work could be better as their goal would not just be cash. They'd more likely see money as a tool, not the goal. Etc,etc,etc,etc,etc

Tl: dr; focus on physical, probably a biological trait, is a core problem. This does not necessarily mean physical lovers (or sensors in another speak) are nefarious, we just have too many of them here

*Steve jobs understood this well. Many a hardcore techy has been left bewildered by apples success. They don't focus on flashy, they focus on the actual meat of the product. What can it do now? What can it possibly do in the future? In most of these categories apple fails miserably, but it succeeds in what matters a lot to the majority of sensors (who make up most of the population), looking flashy. Not to mention that as these people don't like to waste their energy thinking, so apples general simplified ui appeals.

Re: Muskeeto, Ihedinobi, Lb...lets Talk Here :-) by wiegraf: 11:56pm On Nov 02, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Interesting pov. In fact, it appeals to me greatly. I'll however point out that everyone's a little bit of both. Even though I think each individual is more one than the other.

I will try to address it in the context of this discussion a little later though.

Yeah, if you were fully either you'd be in an asylum, but most people have a preference for one or the other.
Re: Muskeeto, Ihedinobi, Lb...lets Talk Here :-) by JeSoul(f): 7:26pm On Nov 13, 2012
@Ihedinobi

sorry for the break in transmission, I got lazy. Anyways, for the sake of expediency, lemme skip to the meatier parts...

Ihedinobi: smiley I live in one of the most backward states in Nigeria in a city whose glory is an old story. About it, someone once said to me that it is foolish to ask after its library since its people don't read. Dire? smiley I am not the one who wouldn't admit that. Is the situation desperate? Lordy, but yes, of course it is. But hopeless? Absolutely not.

My hope is built on reality not on smoke dreams. I have no problems supplying proof.
Understood & appreciated - you're certainly the only one on this thread so that makes you special.

Why don't you pick one country with complexities you consider comparable to Nigeria's and let's compare them. I think that that's the best way to explain what I'm saying.
....then we would get into an endless cycle of "comparing & contrasting" before actually addressing the core issue. Just give me your best estimate - on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the worst possible (economic, healthcare etc) where does the average Nigerian's struggles rank? And if you really want another nation as a standard - use Haiti.

I'm sure I didn't say that. My point is that such viewpoints are usually colored by naivety.
Lol. Are you using style to call me naive? You would have to agree that poor people cannot be happy people for that to stand smiley. This is not to say that 9 out of 10times a poor fellow would not prefer to instead be rich oh.

I got you the first time. I am saying that your opinion might not have taken account of the fact that people are at their best with guests they want to impress. You need to look at a people through their own eyes to correctly appreciate their mentality. While I do not argue that there is nothing in numbers, I do not place much faith in multitudes. The majority aren't always right. What's more, apart from musKeeto probably, the rest of you are essentially visitors to Nigeria. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
Perhaps. But you cannot fake some of the smiles I saw - much like you cannot fake the indwelling of the Holyspirit - it radiates with an unmistakable accent. And I'm not a "guest" in the pure sense of the word when it comes to naija. I have lived & breathed life there so I'm not entirely a long-distance analyst. But on the flipside, I will always defer to the opinion of one who is in the thick of it as you are. The stakes are higher for you no doubt.

All ^this being said - what part are you playing directly to effect this hope of change that you have? not trying to be smart but just wondering if it translates to foot-action.

Cheers bro.
Re: Muskeeto, Ihedinobi, Lb...lets Talk Here :-) by Enigma(m): 8:09pm On Nov 13, 2012
A few things to consider.

1. True a lot of Nigerians are dishonest, greedy, materialistic etc. There are both defensible and indefensible reasons for these things. We should not underestimate the complexity.

2, We make a judgment of dishonesty etc usually based on urban dwellers dominated by materialistic aspirations (fuelled by many things: Hollywood fantasies, lifestyles of e.g. corrupt politicians and pastors, or of those who have made it or in modern lingo those who have 'hammered'). However, if one pays careful attention and considers the overall population of Nigeria and the demography and 'geographics', are those people not in the minority in the final analysis?

3. Even among the 'corrupt, 'desperate' etc "urbanites", consider a Nigerian hawker who spends all day in the hot tropical sun just to go home with a profit possibly less than 5 US Dollars; consider a Nigerian hawker on the roads (dangerous roads and they do get knocked down or hit sometimes), he runs continuously for several yards after that car, SUV or whatever (in fact after several such vehicles through the day) where someone shows interest in the belts he is selling and if lucky manages to make a sale worth a few American cents; consider the child, teenager and even adults who hawk pure water (joke: possibly neither pure nor even water) and how much do they make at the end of the day?

4. In Lagos, on one occasion of a visit to Naija, a diasporan's car fell into a ditch because he was not familiar with a particular road and where the gutter met the road; he was in a hopeless situation: but then five or six guys passing by without being asked immediately helped to lift the car out of the gutter and back onto the road. Imediately, the car was out, they dispersed and went on their way not even so much bothered about a mere "thank you"!

5. Imagine a young Lagosian city dweller going to a more rural part of Lagos State on research as a student; he introduces himself to a family as an acquaintance of a son of theirs back in town. They totally dissuaded him from going to stay in the hotel he planned to, cooked him the nicest meal and gave him the room of that son of theirs.

We need to place things in balance and context. I also have to say that, while acknowledging the difficulties and that it would take time, I am also one who still has hope for Nigeria. smiley

cool
Re: Muskeeto, Ihedinobi, Lb...lets Talk Here :-) by JeSoul(f): 8:17pm On Nov 13, 2012
Enigma: A few things to consider.
We need to place things in balance and context. I also have to say that, while acknowledging the difficulties and that it would take time, I am also one who still has hope for Nigeria. smiley

cool
and that makes 2! cheesy

There is definitely some good in naija - no doubt there. Where I'll disagree is in which direction the percentages skew...or else the country would be better than what it is now.

Enigma: A few things to consider.

4. In Lagos, on one occasion of a visit to Naija, a diasporan's car fell into a ditch because he was not familiar with a particular road and where the gutter met the road; he was in a hopeless situation: but then five or six guys passing by without being asked immediately helped to lift the car out of the gutter and back onto the road. Imediately, the car was out, they dispersed and went on their way not even so much bothered about a mere "thank you"!
LOL cheesy where you that diasporan? lol. And for every heart-warming story, I can more than double you with a horror one. What I saw was not pretty at all.
Re: Muskeeto, Ihedinobi, Lb...lets Talk Here :-) by Enigma(m): 8:31pm On Nov 13, 2012
JeSoul: and that makes 2! cheesy

Nice. smiley

JeSoul: There is definitely some good in naija - no doubt there. Where I'll disagree is in which direction the percentages skew...or else the country would be better than what it is now.

A hell of a lot does not mean a majority you know. Those who are corrupt are the more visible, the more able to affect things (than e.g. village dwellers) or even those able to effect change e.g. the 'educated', the politician, the pastor; but that they have control and are more visible etc does not mean they are in the majority.

JeSoul: LOL cheesy where you that diasporan? lol.

'We speak of that which we know'! wink In the words of an immortal vintage TV character over here, the person concerned is one that your present interlocutor is in the habit of referring to with the perpendicular pronoun.

JeSoul: smileyAnd for every heart-warming story, I can more than double you with a horror one. What I saw was not pretty at all.

No, while I have had my share of engagement with all kind of swindlers etc I am certain you are underestimating the goodness, kindness and generosity side of things. Look, can you believe that even some of the "swindling" is in good spirits and with mutual understanding? I know because I was involved in some of it mysellf as a younger person and all concerned, the 'swindler' and the 'swindled', both knew what was going on and usually laugh about it; as it was in the context of interactions with fellow employees of one organisation, the guys will still buy you a beer while you are all discussing who 'swindled' who. smiley

Now, when I'm home I even allow myself to be a knowing "victim". Just one type of example: you send a little kid on an errand; when s/he comes back you ask him/her for the change from the money you gave him/her; s/he with a knowing smile tells you that she's been asked to come back for the change . . . . . wink

cool
Re: Muskeeto, Ihedinobi, Lb...lets Talk Here :-) by Nobody: 10:23pm On Nov 13, 2012
Enigma:

Nice. smiley

A hell of a lot does not mean a majority you know. Those who are corrupt are the more visible, the more able to affect things (than e.g. village dwellers) or even those able to effect change e.g. the 'educated', the politician, the pastor; but that they have control and are more visible etc does not mean they are in the majority.

'We speak of that which we know'! wink In the words of an immortal vintage TV character over here, the person concerned is one that your present interlocutor is in the habit of referring to with the perpendicular pronoun.

No, while I have had my share of engagement with all kind of swindlers etc I am certain you are underestimating the goodness, kindness and generosity side of things. Look, can you believe that even some of the "swindling" is in good spirits and with mutual understanding? I know because I was involved in some of it mysellf as a younger person and all concerned, the 'swindler' and the 'swindled', both knew what was going on and usually laugh about it; as it was in the context of interactions with fellow employees of one organisation, the guys will still buy you a beer while you are all discussing who 'swindled' who. smiley

Now, when I'm home I even allow myself to be a knowing "victim". Just one type of example: you send a little kid on an errand; when s/he comes back you ask him/her for the change from the money you gave him/her; s/he with a knowing smile tells you that she's been asked to come back for the change . . . . . wink

cool

lol so hard! "Swindler and swindlee" indeed. I'm so cracked up by this post.

Abeg wetin be "perpendicular pronoun"? I think I ate beans and akamu the day we had that lesson in school. grin Help?
Re: Muskeeto, Ihedinobi, Lb...lets Talk Here :-) by Nobody: 10:47pm On Nov 13, 2012
JeSoul: @Ihedinobi

sorry for the break in transmission, I got lazy. Anyways, for the sake of expediency, lemme skip to the meatier parts...

I'd thought I did or said something that cost me your interest o. Thank God you came back cheesy

Understood & appreciated - you're certainly the only one on this thread so that makes you special.

Yeah. On this thread. Like you said, there are two now though grin

....then we would get into an endless cycle of "comparing & contrasting" before actually addressing the core issue. Just give me your best estimate - on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the worst possible (economic, healthcare etc) where does the average Nigerian's struggles rank? And if you really want another nation as a standard - use Haiti.

Oh, I don't know, 7 or 8? Haiti? That country still exists? shocked Anyhow, the average Nigerian is mired in myriad troubles.

Lol. Are you using style to call me naive? You would have to agree that poor people cannot be happy people for that to stand smiley. This is not to say that 9 out of 10times a poor fellow would not prefer to instead be rich oh.

cheesy I know you'll forgive me na. The ish is that you guys blend so well into Western cultures and ways that Africa is essentially a novelty to you more often than not. (Sorry I'm saying that.) You get cynical mostly because you've lost touch with the practical realities of the country.

Perhaps. But you cannot fake some of the smiles I saw - much like you cannot fake the indwelling of the Holyspirit - it radiates with an unmistakable accent. And I'm not a "guest" in the pure sense of the word when it comes to naija. I have lived & breathed life there so I'm not entirely a long-distance analyst. But on the flipside, I will always defer to the opinion of one who is in the thick of it as you are. The stakes are higher for you no doubt.

I imagined you had. smiley The Igbo say, "ana amachi ụwa jọọj" (colloquially, "you hide/cover your embarrassments from the world with what meagre display of wealth you have" ).

All ^this being said - what part are you playing directly to effect this hope of change that you have? not trying to be smart but just wondering if it translates to foot-action.

Cheers bro.

I don't mind your asking. I'm quite open and frank as a person, transparency is a big deal with me, but I've recently taken to protecting my privacy as much as possible. So I'm not able to detail what I'm doing. Suffice to say that I currently have a project on hand that should ultimately help to clean up the Nigerian business environment and culture. Really big deal to me, I assure you, especially seeing it's my own lifeline smiley

Edited
Re: Muskeeto, Ihedinobi, Lb...lets Talk Here :-) by Enigma(m): 12:19am On Nov 14, 2012
Ihedinobi:

lol so hard! "Swindler and swindlee" indeed. I'm so cracked up by this post.

Abeg wetin be "perpendicular pronoun"? I think I ate beans and akamu the day we had that lesson in school. grin Help?

Look very closely at the sentence that follows the bolded, there are two of them in that sentence. wink

cool
Re: Muskeeto, Ihedinobi, Lb...lets Talk Here :-) by Nobody: 12:39am On Nov 14, 2012
Enigma:

Look very closely at the sentence that follows the bolded, there are two of them in that sentence. wink

cool

Ah yes, I see them. Them perpendiculars! I half-suspected them. cheesy
Re: Muskeeto, Ihedinobi, Lb...lets Talk Here :-) by JeSoul(f): 10:51pm On Nov 14, 2012
My in-law,
Enigma: A hell of a lot does not mean a majority you know. Those who are corrupt are the more visible, the more able to affect things (than e.g. village dwellers) or even those able to effect change e.g. the 'educated', the politician, the pastor; but that they have control and are more visible etc does not mean they are in the majority.
I will readily concede that bad news always makes the news and good news goes unreported. But ehn...if you're saying that corrupt individuals are in the minority in naija you are on your own oh! Refer to my first (I think) post on this thread on a few experiences I listed. In the few weeks I spent in naija this year, the negative experiences outshine the good about 95%. Granted I was in the mad jungle that is Lagos, but where better to take the national temperature than in the heart itself?

Lol see yinglish.

On a serious note, did you see DeepSight's thread? https://www.nairaland.com/1087891/armed-robbery-experience-thoughts-nigerian

cool
Lol, I don't think so. If I experienced it in significant fashion I would've factored it into my position on this thread. And at your swindler & swindlee...I like the comical fashion you spun it in...but ehn....another side of me resists. The same thing that didn't allow our host to buy full tank of gas (I mean petrol) several times because the station attendants never have 'change' (infact there was a thread about this in the politics section not long ago). Honestly we can laugh about it but this repeats itself all over the country and people find they cannot even be 'honest' over the tiniest of amounts.

Wetin apostle Paul talk? "a little leaven...". The same habits that small children are cultivating today - when they get into the Senate they'll simply continue.
Re: Muskeeto, Ihedinobi, Lb...lets Talk Here :-) by JeSoul(f): 11:13pm On Nov 14, 2012
Ihedinobi:

I'd thought I did or said something that cost me your interest o. Thank God you came back cheesy

Hehe...my interest is unfortunately subject to my cerebral weather of the day - and sometimes it rains for days.

Yeah. On this thread. Like you said, there are two now though grin
Lol. At this rate of multiplication there'll be 3 of you by the end of the year cheesy

Oh, I don't know, 7 or 8? Haiti? That country still exists? shocked Anyhow, the average Nigerian is mired in myriad troubles.
Yes oh, Haiti still exists. And if you see some of the things that go on in that country Nigeria will seem like paradise. That is why I kept insisting that the word "suffering" is very relative & subjective. Which is why many people who 'run' abroad find themselves 'running' back home after finding that the grass is not always greener.

cheesy I know you'll forgive me na.
Ehen now, what am I your sister for? smiley

The ish is that you guys blend so well into Western cultures and ways that Africa is essentially a novelty to you more often than not. (Sorry I'm saying that.) You get cynical mostly because you've lost touch with the practical realities of the country.
You're right here and also wrong. Its true many of us have 'blended' well into foreign lands - but assimilation into another culture does not prevent you from still carrying a vested interest in homeland - albeit an emotional interest. Or else I wouldn't have bothered visiting naija now. I could've spent my 1month off the coast of Spain in peace & sunshine. And it was a green passport I used to enter the country (the wahala I went thru to get it ehn is another story cheesy)

About the "practical realites" aspect - again I defer to you because you live there. But I will insist I have known what these realities are - and that they are not a good enough excuse for much of the decay in the society.

I imagined you had. smiley The Igbo say, "ana amachi ụwa jọọj" (colloquially, "you hide/cover your embarrassments from the world with what meagre display of wealth you have" ).
You're taking style to yab me again ehn? lol. Issall good. I have never been hesitant to divulge my country of origin even when it was an inconvenient truth. Nigerians have a terrible reputation all over the world.

I don't mind your asking. I'm quite open and frank as a person, transparency is a big deal with me, but I've recently taken to protecting my privacy as much as possible. So I'm not able to detail what I'm doing. Suffice to say that I currently have a project on hand that should ultimately help to clean up the Nigerian business environment and culture. Really big deal to me, I assure you, especially seeing it's my own lifeline smiley

Edited
Okay cool. I'm glad you have your hand to the plough and are pushing forward - its more than I am doing or plan to do. My own ambassadorship is casual & when the opportunity presents - but it is always resolute in conviction.
Re: Muskeeto, Ihedinobi, Lb...lets Talk Here :-) by Enigma(m): 11:32pm On Nov 14, 2012
@Jesoul

I did see the experiences you listed and guess what? I have experienced almost all of them; I have lectured, scolded, exchanged heated words etc etc with people who do these things. On the other hand, however, I spend plenty of time in Naija each year (I have already spent over two months in Gidi this year and sometimes even more in other years) to have a wider view of the dynamics. Sometimes, the very same rude, unthinking and unrepentant guy who jumped the queue ---- you will see doing an act of kindness.

There are deeper questions about the underlying causes of the queue jumping ---- why such a culture has developed in particular places. I can identify a number of factors all at play but I don't want to do that. Instead let me tell you the following: at about 12 noon, you are driving in Lagos with all the madness, drivers cutting in from everywhere and jumping red lights; an hour and a half later you reach Abeokuta and drivers are stopping for each other to give right of way, stopping at traffic lights, obeying traffic wardens etc. I know because I have done and experienced it. Why such stark difference within about an hour's drive and less than 100 miles distance?

I think it is inadequate to simply use Lagos, a rather tiny geographical area when compared to the entire Nigerian geography, as a sole or the determinative benchmark for attitudes throughout the entire country. And of course the problem of Lagos particularly is exacerbated by overpopulation or at least some serious density coupled with the idea that it is no man's land for seeking opportunities only. Ultimately, a lot of the residents do not really have any respect for the land. But go to other parts where people have a genuine love for their 'hometown' and consider their attitude to their 'land'.

I have read the thread you refer to --- BUT I am still certain that you are underestimating the goodness, kindness and generosity side of things. smiley Does 'Columbine' and similar etc represent all that happens in America? It is the same way many who live here in the UK say they can never live in America because of things like that. But of course, others will say ------- perspective!

Yes, I might have used a comical tone with the knowing 'swindler and swindled' scenarios but I am very serious about the underlying point. There is a distinction to be drawn between out and out fraud and a case where the 'swindler' knows you can afford to let go that N100 (and you know it too) and the 'swindler' is basically nudging you in the direction of letting it go. These scenarios are even capable of being distinguished from the case of the petrol attendant trying to "die" your change.

Let me leave you with a comparison of two scenarios:

A. You ask a belt seller 'how much'? He says N1,500; you a diasporan are not familiar that much with the culture or prices anymore; maybe you haggle a little bit and succeed in buying the belt for N600; you get home and your sister says ah you've been "swindled" --- the belt is only about N200.

B. You live in the UK, you go into a shop to buy an electrical item; the price tag is £100 (no haggling); you get home and a friend who works in retail tells you that the cost price to the shop was only about £25 even taking account of all their relevant expenses/overheads etc. (An aside: many retailers here have a culture that if they buy 10 items for sale, they should have covered the costs of all 10 and made profits by the time they have sold just 3! Then of course if they need to quickly shift the rest they can do a "sale" or price reduction exercise.)

What is the substantive difference between the two scenarios? And what might differing cultures have to do with it? Just food for thought.

One more thing: I read you earlier suggesting that unemployed youths should go back to the village and engage in farming. I am very sorry that that is extremely simplistic: where will they get free or even any land to farm? Assume they have to pay for land, how are they going to afford it? Can they live on farming alone? How much can they sell their harvest for that will cover their basic general living expenses? Clothing, housing etc?

We may not agree of course and that is fine. Nevertheless, I believe a more proper, sober, forensic assessment is required and not quick/snap and even posibbly emotive assessment. Let me reiterate that I too have experienced first hand the frustrations of sometimes even seeing people behaving hardly better than animals. On the other hand, I have been around several parts of Nigeria other than Lagos to have a rounder picture. smiley

cool

2 Likes

Re: Muskeeto, Ihedinobi, Lb...lets Talk Here :-) by Nobody: 11:39pm On Nov 14, 2012
JeSoul: On a serious note, did you see DeepSight's thread? https://www.nairaland.com/1087891/armed-robbery-experience-thoughts-nigerian

Figured I should address this. You'll forgive me, won't you? smiley

I saw his story on this thread before he created a new thread for it. I did feel for him but strongly disagreed with his conclusions regarding the matter. I refrained from expressing what I thought because I felt he might receive my opinions as a belittling of his misfortune. However, it might serve everyone if I expressed those views now.

If I came to the US and stayed away from the parks because I thought I would have to pay to enjoy them (my understanding is that you don't, am
I right?), I think I would be rightly labeled "naive". If in the same country I refused to call the police when someone pulls a fast one on me and threatens me too just because I'm afraid that the police would seize the opportunity to blow large holes in my pocket, I'm pretty sure I'd get educated on how I'm no longer in Nigeria. My point is, it was a very naive thing to do to be on the streets of Lagos in any thing short of an armoured tank at that time of the night. Plain naive. It was also hilarious, incredibly too maybe, that he should have expected more from the Nigerian police than he got.

That's the point I was trying to make about treating each nation and people-group according to their uniqueness and peculiarity. It's useless to say, "it should not be so, such-and-such does this and has that or would not have allowed that or condoned this". The reality is, you're not in such-and-such, you're in Nigeria. You should act like it.

Now acting like it is not necessarily condoning failure, instead it's recognizing and acknowledging its existence and as such. That in itself is the first step toward fixing the failure. Nobody ever fixed anything by wishing or complaining them away. They always started by making their peace with the fact that there was something to be fixed.

So, while you could probably very quickly and effortlessly supply fifty more horrid stories like his before I've finished telling one good one, the question is: is there hope, or is there a practical basis for hope that Nigeria will turn around? As long as I can point to at least one positive thing that does not fail in the face of the hundred negatives, there is hope. Question asked and answered.
Re: Muskeeto, Ihedinobi, Lb...lets Talk Here :-) by Nobody: 11:48pm On Nov 14, 2012
Will have to answer your other post tomorrow. Chores and bed calling. smiley
Re: Muskeeto, Ihedinobi, Lb...lets Talk Here :-) by JeSoul(f): 5:43pm On Nov 16, 2012
Enigma: @JesoulI think it is inadequate to simply use Lagos, a rather tiny geographical area when compared to the entire Nigerian geography, as a sole or the determinative benchmark for attitudes throughout the entire country.
I would concede this point...except for the testimonials of others on this thread in locations across the country and testimonials seen everyday in the media.

Yes, I might have used a comical tone with the knowing 'swindler and swindled' scenarios but I am very serious about the underlying point. There is a distinction to be drawn between out and out fraud and a case where the 'swindler' knows you can afford to let go that N100 (and you know it too) and the 'swindler' is basically nudging you in the direction of letting it go. These scenarios are even capable of being distinguished from the case of the petrol attendant trying to "die" your change.

Let me leave you with a comparison of two scenarios:

A. You ask a belt seller 'how much'? He says N1,500; you a diasporan are not familiar that much with the culture or prices anymore; maybe you haggle a little bit and succeed in buying the belt for N600; you get home and your sister says ah you've been "swindled" --- the belt is only about N200.

B. You live in the UK, you go into a shop to buy an electrical item; the price tag is £100 (no haggling); you get home and a friend who works in retail tells you that the cost price to the shop was only about £25 even taking account of all their relevant expenses/overheads etc. (An aside: many retailers here have a culture that if they buy 10 items for sale, they should have covered the costs of all 10 and made profits by the time they have sold just 3! Then of course if they need to quickly shift the rest they can do a "sale" or price reduction exercise.)

What is the substantive difference between the two scenarios? And what might differing cultures have to do with it? Just food for thought.
I don't think there's any real need to draw a difference between A and B or whether the final cost levels out to be the same - this is a diversion from the real point - you can't compare Naija to UK because one is a functioning society and the other is not. The 'little' haggling may in the end level out to what you may pay abroad - but the attitude & mentality is drastically different.

One more thing: I read you earlier suggesting that unemployed youths should go back to the village and engage in farming. I am very sorry that that is extremely simplistic: where will they get free or even any land to farm? Assume they have to pay for land, how are they going to afford it? Can they live on farming alone? How much can they sell their harvest for that will cover their basic general living expenses? Clothing, housing etc?
Simplistic you say? smiley okay oh. I know it is not an option for everyone but it is certainly one for many - afterall aren't these people moving into Lagos from somewhere in the first place?

We may not agree of course and that is fine.
Ah! indeed we don't! lol.

Nevertheless, I believe a more proper, sober, forensic assessment is required and not quick/snap and even posibbly emotive assessment. Let me reiterate that I too have experienced first hand the frustrations of sometimes even seeing people behaving hardly better than animals. On the other hand, I have been around several parts of Nigeria other than Lagos to have a rounder picture. smiley

cool
I agree again that there is certainly some good parts - every country is like that. Where we diverge is that this chucks up to a significant percentage. You can cite my lack of experience in travelling naija (notwithstanding I've lived in 3 different states there) but I will quickly point out that even people who are there are saying no different from me.

On another subject - I find myself "understanding" (not completely shifted over though) your opinion on that child baptism thread. Its funny. Somethings have to experienced to be understood - and you were 'kind' enough not to rub that in my face :: appreciated!
Re: Muskeeto, Ihedinobi, Lb...lets Talk Here :-) by JeSoul(f): 5:53pm On Nov 16, 2012
Ihedinobi:

I saw his story on this thread before he created a new thread for it. I did feel for him but strongly disagreed with his conclusions regarding the matter. I refrained from expressing what I thought because I felt he might receive my opinions as a belittling of his misfortune. However, it might serve everyone if I expressed those views now.

If I came to the US and stayed away from the parks because I thought I would have to pay to enjoy them (my understanding is that you don't, am
I right?), I think I would be rightly labeled "naive". If in the same country I refused to call the police when someone pulls a fast one on me and threatens me too just because I'm afraid that the police would seize the opportunity to blow large holes in my pocket, I'm pretty sure I'd get educated on how I'm no longer in Nigeria. My point is, it was a very naive thing to do to be on the streets of Lagos in any thing short of an armoured tank at that time of the night. Plain naive. It was also hilarious, incredibly too maybe, that he should have expected more from the Nigerian police than he got.

That's the point I was trying to make about treating each nation and people-group according to their uniqueness and peculiarity. It's useless to say, "it should not be so, such-and-such does this and has that or would not have allowed that or condoned this". The reality is, you're not in such-and-such, you're in Nigeria. You should act like it.

Now acting like it is not necessarily condoning failure, instead it's recognizing and acknowledging its existence and as such. That in itself is the first step toward fixing the failure. Nobody ever fixed anything by wishing or complaining them away. They always started by making their peace with the fact that there was something to be fixed.

So, while you could probably very quickly and effortlessly supply fifty more horrid stories like his before I've finished telling one good one, the question is: is there hope, or is there a practical basis for hope that Nigeria will turn around? As long as I can point to at least one positive thing that does not fail in the face of the hundred negatives, there is hope. Question asked and answered.
Infact ehn...I'm not sure I want to touch this post lol.

If you're indeed saying basic and fundamental social ideals or expectations of proper human behavior should not be universal....then you're on your own oh! Nigeria does not exist in a vaccum - if we don't demand we rise up the world standards - well this is why we're fading more & more in the rear view mirror compared to much of the world. And I'm afraid the daily grind in naija may have imprinted a sort of desensitized cynicism on you (my turn to yab abi? smiley) no but really - I'm serious, recognizing failure does not have to take on this folded-arm approach of "well, it is what it is". I fear you oh.
Re: Muskeeto, Ihedinobi, Lb...lets Talk Here :-) by Chrisbenogor(m): 6:02pm On Nov 16, 2012
Ihedinobi:

angry angry angry angry
Yo Yo YO YO
This is so not cool, you have just demonstrated that you lack the practical and intellectual onus to discuss anything Nigeria and Nigerian. So what about the people that were in their houses? They should not be in anything less than a fortified bunker?
SHAKING MY HEAD angry angry angry
Re: Muskeeto, Ihedinobi, Lb...lets Talk Here :-) by Nobody: 6:05pm On Nov 16, 2012
I wanted to complain about Ihedinobis post as well! cheesy

Nice one, Jesoul and Chrisbenogor
Re: Muskeeto, Ihedinobi, Lb...lets Talk Here :-) by Nobody: 6:14pm On Nov 16, 2012
JeSoul: Infact ehn...I'm not sure I want to touch this post lol.

If you're indeed saying basic and fundamental social ideals or expectations of proper human behavior should not be universal....then you're on your own oh! Nigeria does not exist in a vaccum - if we don't demand we rise up the world standards - well this is why we're fading more & more in the rear view mirror compared to much of the world. And I'm afraid the daily grind in naija may have imprinted a sort of desensitized cynicism on you (my turn to yab abi? smiley) no but really - I'm serious, recognizing failure does not have to take on this folded-arm approach of "well, it is what it is". I fear you oh.

I think you might have completely misunderstood me. I was not at all implying that it is not right to expect and demand right behavior and proper conduct from human beings wherever they are. I was saying that even such an expectation must be balanced with the correct appreciation of the obtaining realities.

For instance, would you roll up to a grocery store in a gang-infested ghetto in New York and leave your car unlocked just because you can do it in, say, Beverly Hills? Or would you take a walk at night in an alley right there in the US known for its attraction for r.ap.i.sts, especially without a means of securing your safety first? And these because there's a basic and fundamental social ideal of human behavior that is universal?

I'm imagining that you'll agree with me that my questions are rhetorical. You couldn't do such things in the States for such a reason. You'd be considered mentally imbalanced or stu.pid, I think. It's the same with the issue. Granted Nigeria should not be a jungle, but it sure as nails is. Because it is, while every reasonable person with Love in their heart is working to fix the situation, such a person will also respect the realities on ground. That means that any day I come over to the States, you could come along with me for a late-night drive but there's no chance on earth I'm ever gonna spin my wheels after 10pm on the streets of Lagos if I can do anything about it until I'm sure that the Nigerian policeman on the streets has had his head fixed.

In this case, it would seem that I'm the one being realistic rather than you, wouldn't you say? wink
Re: Muskeeto, Ihedinobi, Lb...lets Talk Here :-) by Nobody: 6:26pm On Nov 16, 2012
Oh damn! Done gone and stirred the freaking hornets' nest, have I. sad

Guys, I'm just saying that while his experience was very unfortunate, the chances of it happening at all would have been very very low, very near to zero, if he had only accounted correctly for the current social and economic realities of Nigeria. I'm not at all excusing those murderers and ra.pists.

Chrisbenogor, have you considered that they might have been hanging around waiting for some night owl to show up with a free ride for them? Would they have been able to get around and break into people's homes if they hadn't jacked Deep Sight's SUV? Perhaps . . . maybe if they'd got some other unfortunate guy or lady. But they apparently needed the wheels.

It even makes sense to me that they hung around at the entrance of the estate. I come from a lower middle class background and I assure you that you won't find many with such backgrounds hanging around at night. But the upper classes tend to begin to feel untouchable and grow careless so that it would make sense for some late bird to show up and conveniently hand their ride over to them hooligans.
Re: Muskeeto, Ihedinobi, Lb...lets Talk Here :-) by Nobody: 6:37pm On Nov 16, 2012
Ihedinobi: Oh damn! Done gone and stirred the freaking hornets' nest, have I. sad

Guys, I'm just saying that while his experience was very unfortunate, the chances of it happening at all would have been very very low, very near to zero, if he had only accounted correctly for the current social and economic realities of Nigeria. I'm not at all excusing those murderers and ra.pists.

Chrisbenogor, have you considered that they might have been hanging around waiting for some night owl to show up with a free ride for them? Would they have been able to get around and break into people's homes if they hadn't jacked Deep Sight's SUV? Perhaps . . . maybe if they'd got some other unfortunate guy or lady. But they apparently needed the wheels.

It even makes sense to me that they hung around at the entrance of the estate. I come from a lower middle class background and I assure you that you won't find many with such backgrounds hanging around at night. But the upper classes tend to begin to feel untouchable and grow careless so that it would make sense for some late bird to show up and conveniently hand their ride over to them hooligans.

The guy was in the richest parts of lagos where there was a security post. Who would expect to be robbed in that place?

You are a freaking captain hindsight- only seeing preventive measures when the illness has already struck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqkI691dxNg&feature=related
Re: Muskeeto, Ihedinobi, Lb...lets Talk Here :-) by Nobody: 6:42pm On Nov 16, 2012
Logicboy03:

The guy was in the richest parts of lagos where there was a security post. Who would expect to be robbed in that place?

You are a freaking captain hindsight- only seeing preventive measures when the illness has already struck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqkI691dxNg&feature=related

smiley But, dude, the bolded was my point.
Re: Muskeeto, Ihedinobi, Lb...lets Talk Here :-) by Nobody: 6:45pm On Nov 16, 2012
Ihedinobi:

smiley But, dude, the bolded was my point.

lies.......you said

Ihedinobi:
Guys, I'm just saying that while his experience was very unfortunate, the chances of it happening at all would have been very very low, very near to zero, if he had only accounted correctly for the current social and economic realities of Nigeria.
Re: Muskeeto, Ihedinobi, Lb...lets Talk Here :-) by JeSoul(f): 6:46pm On Nov 16, 2012
^But what about the people that were sitting down in their own homes minding their business? (to echo Chris' point)
Re: Muskeeto, Ihedinobi, Lb...lets Talk Here :-) by Nobody: 6:48pm On Nov 16, 2012
JeSoul: ^But what about the people that were sitting down in their own homes minding their business? (to echo Chris' point)

Ihedinobi has never been someone who is practical. Studying under Anony can only carry you so far

grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

The Prophet (Beirut, Lebanon, 1983 Revisited) / Fornication or Homosexuality, Which is a Greater Sin? / 30 Facts About Islam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 208
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.