Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,870 members, 7,810,315 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:48 AM

Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency (15099 Views)

Buhari Raises Alarm, Says Terrorists Returning To Embarrass Govt / Presidency Intensifies Efforts To Discredit Ribadu Report. / Ribadu Report: Sack, Prosecute Oil Minister — Labour, SNG, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by Nobody: 8:29am On Oct 26, 2012
The leakage of the report of the Mallam Nuhu Ribadu-led committee that probed oil and gas transactions covering 2002 to 2012 and which uncovered widespread corruption and abuse of processes, is meant to embarrass the government.

The Presidency said this while reacting to the publication of excerpts from the report by an international news agency, Reuters, and local media outfits on Wednesday.

[b]The Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Dr. Reuben Abati, said the excerpts from the report could not be taken as an official document because the committee had not formally submitted its report to the appropriate authority.

Abati said as far as the Federal Government was concerned, the report in the public domain was suspicious.

He said if indeed the published report was the committee’s genuine work, whoever leaked it to the press did not mean well and was out to embarrass the government.

He said, “It is strange that government will set up a committee, that report has not been submitted to the authorities that set up the committee and the report will be found on the pages of newspapers.

“The report cannot be taken as an official document because the proper procedure is for committees set up by the government to submit their reports to the government. In principle, this report in the public domain is suspicious because it was not submitted to the appropriate authority.[/b]

“If every committee set up by government goes above the system to leak reports, there can be chaos. Whoever leaked the report, if indeed the report is genuine, does not mean well. Whoever is behind it is out to embarrass the government.”

When asked whether by his submission, the Federal Government might probe the alleged leakage, Abati said the first step was for members of the committee to come out and confirm whether it was indeed their report.

One of our correspondents learnt that the Senate Committees on Petroleum (Upstream) and Gas might subject the outcome of the report to further investigation, following the gravity of claims in it.

The Chairman, Senate Committee on Gas, Mrs. Nkechi Nwogu, told our correspondent on the telephone on Thursday that the committee would want to look at the report to find out the true position of things as contained in it.

Nwogu said, “With all these revelations, I can assure you that the Senate in particular will not want to sweep such accusations under the carpet.

“I am sure the Senate will want to find out things for itself.”

However, the Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke, said there was no plan to cover up the findings of the committee, but that another panel had been set up to look into the contents.

Alison-Madueke had said while reacting to Reuters enquiries that a committee had been set up by the Ministry of Petroleum Resources to look into differences in perspective on the Ribadu committee report.

She had said, “We have set up a team that is looking at them across the board to see if there is a difference in opinion or a difference in perspective.

“This team will complete its work and submit a comprehensive report in the next 10 days.”

The minister’s statement had fuelled speculations that the new committee would remove aspects that the government was not comfortable with from the report before making it public.

However, in a telephone interview with one of our correspondents in Abuja on Thursday, the spokesman of the Ministry of Petroleum Resources, Mr. Kingsley Agha, said no cover up was intended.

He said, “You cannot cover up the report of the committee. You cannot cover up the report of a committee made up of people of integrity. They will not agree to that. The minister does not have anything to hide; otherwise, she would not have set up the committee.

“It is too early for me to speak on the report since it has not gone to the President and I have not seen it.”

The Acting Group General Manager, Public Affairs, Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, Mr. Fidel Pepple, said a reconciliation committee was necessary.

“When reports like this are produced, it is normal practice to reconcile and clarify aspects of it that may not be clear,” he said.

Reuters had on Wednesday quoted extensively from the report, which it said was confidential.

The Reuters report was widely quoted in the local media on Thursday.

The 146-page report, according to the international news agency, had stated that a total of $183m (N28.73bn) in signature bonuses paid by oil companies to the federation was missing.

The report said that Ministers of Petroleum Resources between 2008 and 2011 handed out seven discretionary oil licences, but that $183m in signature bonuses was missing from the deals.

Three of the oil licences were said to have been awarded since the current minister, Alison-Madueke, took up her position in 2010.

Source
Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by Nobody: 8:33am On Oct 26, 2012
grin grin grin

My post from a different thread.

Nigerian oil ministers between 2008-2011 handed out seven discretionary licences but there is $183 million in signature bonuses missing from the deals, the report said. Three of these oil licences were awarded since Alison-Madueke took up her position in 2010, according to the report.

"I have not given any discretionary awards during this administration," Alison-Madueke told Reuters, although she added that the president had the right to do so instead of using bids if he saw fit. "That is entirely up to him," she said.

I'd say one of the licenses mentioned here went to the Dame herself, Madam First Lady!
After all, it is common knowledge that Bola Shagaya is merely a front.

Recently, the federal government awarded oil block licences to no fewer than 21 indigenous companies to prospect for oil. LEADERSHIP SUNDAY can now authoritatively reveal the identities of some of these awardees.

Investigations carried out by LEADERSHIP SUNDAY reveal that the promoters of these registered companies include multi-billionaire Hajiya Bola Shagaya, former group managing director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) Mr. Funsho Kupolokun, former governor of Delta State Olorogun Felix Ibru and Chief Odunsi Adedeji.

Hajiya Bola Shagaya, who was recently listed by an international magazine as one of the 10 richest women in Africa, is one of the two directors of Voyage Oil and Gas Limited, one of the indigenous companies that were awarded oil block licences.

Hajiya Shagaya is very close to Dame Patience Jonathan, the president’s wife.

Voyage Oil and Gas Limited was incorporated on October 14, 2011, with a nominal share capital of two million shares. The incorporation number is RC 986771. Out of the two million shares, Shagaya owns one million, while the remaining one million is owned by Oba Tonye, the only other shareholder.

Listed as directors in Form CO7 are Oba Tonye and Hajiya Bola Shagaya.

Source

1 Like

Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by Nobody: 8:38am On Oct 26, 2012
Abati said as far as the Federal Government was concerned, the report in the public domain was suspicious.

He said if indeed the published report was the committee’s genuine work, whoever leaked it to the press did not mean well and was out to embarrass the government.

Whoever leaked the report clearly understands how these things work in Obodo Nigeria, Mr Abati cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by Nobody: 8:44am On Oct 26, 2012
It's interesting that neither the Minister, the presidency nor NNPC denied the CONTENT of the "leaked" report. Neither did they deny that the reports leaked was stamped "Final Report". So we can safely conclude that the CONTENT of the report is accurate.

Are they now telling us that Reuters is now on a mission to malign the government? Is Reuters now ACN or CPC?

3 Likes

Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by Nobody: 8:45am On Oct 26, 2012
Now they're telling us they're setting up another committee to "look into differences in perspective" from the previous committee report. I mean, if you don't understand the contents of a report, why not call Ribadu for clarification? What do they mean by "differences in perspective"?

It seems to me that the government's objective here was to edit the report prior to making it publicly accessible.

What a country.

5 Likes

Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by Nobody: 8:50am On Oct 26, 2012
HNosegbe: Now they're telling us they're setting up another committee to "look into differences in perspective" from the previous committee report. I mean, if you don't understand the contents of a report, why not call Ribadu for clarification? What do they mean by "differences in perspective"?

What a country.

Indeed comrade.

Someone obviously got riled that Madam Madueke had been puss#y-footing (euphemism for studying the report) for one whole month cheesy

Oil Minister Diezani Alison-Madueke told Reuters on Tuesday she had received the report last month but that it was a draft and the government was still supposed to give input. The one seen by Reuters was labeled "Final Report."
Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by tbaba1234: 8:56am On Oct 26, 2012
Another committee to look into what again??... grin grin

How many committees do you need to get the job done??

1 Like

Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by Nobody: 8:58am On Oct 26, 2012
Committee.............panels.......... E tire pesin o

1 Like

Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by Standing5(m): 9:00am On Oct 26, 2012
Same story from the usual suspects here. They actually allowed the report go thru some changes and now decided to investigate the difference in various versions in a bid to create an 'artificial controversy' out of something quite honest and genuine.
Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by nduchucks: 9:01am On Oct 26, 2012
No wonder the Minister of Petroleum sat on the report for over a month and is still sitting on it. Sadly, most Nigerians and probab;y NLers have never experienced the personal ownership of $20,000 or more, so they have no idea what $183million is worth, much more how much the billions of dollars stolen annually by government operatives is worth.

If Nigerians truly understand the enormity of government theft, our streets will be filled with civily disobedient people demanding justice and answers. We may be our own worst enemies.

5 Likes

Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by Toktee(m): 9:03am On Oct 26, 2012
HNosegbe: Now they're telling us they're setting up another committee to "look into differences in perspective" from the previous committee report. I mean, if you don't understand the contents of a report, why not call Ribadu for clarification? What do they mean by "differences in perspective"?

It seems to me that the government's objective here was to edit the report prior to making it publicly accessible.

What a country.
Yes,another commitee to counter ribadus report since johnah and hiz crew are not comfortable with the first one.

1 Like

Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by Toktee(m): 9:08am On Oct 26, 2012
tbaba1234: Another committee to look into what again??... grin grin

Another committee to look into or edit ribadus report b4 making it public,unfortunately the real report it out,any other thing from maduekwe woman iz trash
Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by Toktee(m): 9:13am On Oct 26, 2012
By now i see confusion in aso rock,many people asking eg who recomend thiz ribadu guy,a former Acn presidencial candidate.i just wonder why the federal government think ribadu will dance to their tune.

1 Like

Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by Charlesnerd: 9:14am On Oct 26, 2012
Its pretty obvious that this government is highly allergic to truth and facts.I highly commend the "renegade" who leaked this report to the international press,it was a smart move,cos we all know that "official" govt reports are always lacking in substance and truth.

Meanwhile,I don't get it when govt officials say the report has not been harmonised,I think they should rather say the report has not been doctored,that is the appropriate word.

Kudos to Ribadu for another job well done,you are a true,loyal and patriotic servant of Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by Gbawe: 9:16am On Oct 26, 2012
This is ridiculous !!! This Allison-Madueke is such a crooked individual. How can she say, with a straight face, that another panel has been set up to look into the report of the RIbadu-led committee? These people will go to any length to cover up the rancid mountain of corruption they are sitting on. The sad thing is that they only make a fool of Nigeria with all these Nollywood shenanigans not seen anywhere else in the world. If Otedola is not playing 'James Bond' it is this woman insulting the intelligence of Nigerians. Absolutely pathetic.

However, the Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke, said there was no plan to cover up the findings of the committee, but that another panel had been set up to look into the contents.
Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by OYINBOGOJU(m): 9:18am On Oct 26, 2012
I dey look.....I dey laugh

Government lie on obvious things
Nigerians knows the truth even though they are incapacitated to do anything.

Abati don't forget there is life after government house oo.

3 Likes

Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by OkwaIfugo(m): 9:21am On Oct 26, 2012
make we see wetin dey for this report ni
Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by Demdem(m): 9:23am On Oct 26, 2012
tbaba1234: Another committee to look into what again??... grin grin

U dey mind the fools. They are just deceiving themselves. Kpmg report has been out there for almost 2yrs now and still no show.
This however are undisputed:
Monumental fraud has been detected.
All these occurred under the leadership of the killer party.

1 Like

Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by highlandre(m): 9:26am On Oct 26, 2012
The truth is GEJ is not sincere to tackle corruption in the system, or why set up another committee to alter the details contained in Ribadu's committee? What does the Minister of Petroleum mean by reviewing the report of the committee?

Please, I'm tired of this shit of a government jor. Can we please wish Nigerians a bombing-free Sallah celebration!

2 Likes

Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by Demdem(m): 9:31am On Oct 26, 2012
highlandre: The truth is GEJ is not sincere to tackle corruption in the system, or why set up another committee to alter the details contained in Ribadu's committee? What does the Minister of Petroleum mean by reviewing the report of the committee?

Please, I'm tired of this shit of a government jor. Can we please wish Nigerians a bombing-free Sallah celebration!

The retardeen himself is a beacon of corruption right from his bayelsa days. Av always stated this but peeps simply don't believe. He stands for the status quo. Transformation my foot.
Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by GentleNaaz(m): 9:34am On Oct 26, 2012
GEJ hs faild us, evry1 knws it, he admited it n hs dared 2 mk d people proud ds time. All ds critics shud stop. Lets, in our little effort mk naija a beta country
Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by Dee60: 9:39am On Oct 26, 2012
O God save Nigeria from Nigerians!
Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by Dee60: 9:41am On Oct 26, 2012
I am still waiting to read something progressive from Dr Abat.....

1 Like

Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by Gbawe: 9:51am On Oct 26, 2012
Demdem:

The retardeen himself is a beacon of corruption right from his bayelsa days. Av always stated this but peeps simply don't believe. He stands for the status quo. Transformation my foot.

You are right and even his 'buddy' Oronto Douglas said as much. This is why GEJ surrounds himself with the most corrupt in the land.

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/wikileaks-%E2%80%9Cgoodluck-jonathan-was-part-system-corruption-had-impoverished-niger-%E2%80%A8delta-deca

Wikileaks: “Goodluck Jonathan Was Part Of The System Of Corruption That Had Impoverished The Niger 
Delta For Decades,” Says Jonathan’s Senior Special Assistant, Oronto Douglas
Posted: September 8, 2011 - 16:17

Oronto Douglas Photo:234next
By SaharaReporters, New York

On December 18 , 2006, just after the then Bayelsa State 
Governor, Goodluck Jonathan, had been named PDP presidential running mate to Umaru Yar'Adua, human rights activist and Jonathan confidante Oronto Douglas described in glowing terms.

Among them, Jonathan was well respected among Ijaw leaders, had built a successful development program in Bayelsa, and had been a good Governor.

A new WikiLeaks cable shows, however, that only the day before, Mr. Douglas’ true feelings about Jonathan had been different. In a conversation with an American official, Douglas described Jonathan as “part of the system of corruption that had impoverished the Niger 
Delta for decades.”

And that “successful development programme in Bayelsa”? "Even his development initiative is viewed with skepticism by the populace," Douglas said.

He said that the outstanding corruption charges against Jonathan and his wife were troubling, and that while Jonathan enjoyed the support of the "Ijaw leaders," the "restive youth" had little respect for the "so-called leaders."

Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by CuteTj(m): 9:54am On Oct 26, 2012
I see this current FG as dumb. The report covers a period of 10 years between 2002 - 2012 of which this present government has only been there for 2 years. This report therefore takes into account the administration of Obasanjo, Yar adua then Jonathan. Then how has revealing facts now turned to a plot to embarass the current administration when it isn't only his government that was put into consideration? I simply can't put up anylonger with the nonsense of the President and most especially his mouth piece(s). Wish 2015 is just tomorrow.

3 Likes

Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by yohannazack(m): 9:56am On Oct 26, 2012
I dont knw why GOD is allowin us to xperience all dis. It wil soon be over by God's grace. Gej is nothin but a carrier of corruption. He promised electricity, yet 100s of millions budgetd fo generators and fuelin. U set up a committee to investigate an issue, after the findins, u set anoda commiti to investigate d findins. Kai, i hav never seen a leader like dis dats so disqualified in almost every aspect.

2 Likes

Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by Nobody: 10:01am On Oct 26, 2012
In an attempt to exonerate herself from any wrong doing Madam Madueke throws Presido under with aplomb here:
"I have not given any discretionary awards during this administration," Alison-Madueke told Reuters, although she added that the president had the right to do so instead of using bids if he saw fit. That is entirely up to him," she said.
Thanks to basket-mouth Ribadu, Nigerians now know our shoeless president has been handing out oil blocks like confetti cool

Basket mouth wan start to leak again, oh-
[CHORUS] BASKET MOUTH WAN OPEN MOUTH AGAIN, OH
Abi** you don forget I say I sing, ee-oh **(is it not)
[CHORUS] BASKET MOUTH WAN OPEN MOUTH AGAIN, OH
Oh, I sing, I say, I go my mouth like basket, ee-oh, Malan Bia-gbe-re
(stanza 2x)
Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by Bravoe(m): 10:01am On Oct 26, 2012
"A COMMITEE without COMMITMENT will COMMIT CRIME".

Fellow Nigerians, Hold your government accountable.

Awaiting Kudos to Ribadu and his COMMITEE if The CONTENTS of the REPORT is not WATERED down before getting to the PUBLIC.
Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by yohannazack(m): 10:02am On Oct 26, 2012
There is a popular sayin dat 'show me ur frend and i wil tel u who u are', dats gej and his cabinet, they wil never stop embarrasin nigerians unnecessarily. Too bad.
Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by FrankC3: 10:11am On Oct 26, 2012
I have no doubt in my mind about GEJ's determination to take on big challenges, like the rot in the oil and gas sector. An unserious mind would never had engaged a Ribadu to probe the sector and the period under probe ends in 2011, so there is no need to 'cover up' anything. Issuance of oil bloc licenses is a privilege the law empower the President to execute. To have the will is one thing but to execute it is another thing.
Dr Abati has been a baggage to this administration. He is a reactive person. He seem to think that his job is more to respond than to define. There is no reason on earth to call this an embarrassment because if the administration did not want to be 'embarrassed', they would have appointed a Fani Kayode to head the committee. Yes, for those who don't understand how government runs, reports are meant to be harmonized because the assignment is given with a perspective in mind but my problem with this particular one is that Abati is trying to chatsize the leakage. This should be played out big time. I need to see the end, but if anybody is covering up something, i need to see the person roasted. And for Abati, this reactive release has eroded lots of confidence and he should be replaced. He seem not to be speaking for Nigerians or the Presidency but for some other interests.
Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by takedat(m): 10:15am On Oct 26, 2012
Diezani in a sane country ought to be in jail by now, but not in the case with Nigeria. There have been numerous allegation against her, either by indiscretionary allocation of oil wells to her husband's company(Excel Exploration), to her cronies(Seven Energy), The Chris Aire crude oil lifting scam etc. Most of those brief case companies that made away with fuel subsidy monies had ties to her.
Its either the rumours that she is romantically linked to GEJ is true or close to the truth.
Recently GEJ himself gave out oil bloc to All Grace Energy belonging to Iyabo Obasanjo that was shrouded in secrecy.
That is not to exonerate past and present NNPC top officers and former heads of state who have also benefited from these frauds.

1 Like

Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by taharqa: 10:19am On Oct 26, 2012
I was under the impression that it was not yr fathers that orderd this probe in d 1st place or that appointd d caliber of ppl in d committee. I also thought from d report that most of d 'missing'(stolen) funds happend b4 dis admin( 2002-2012) while d supposd 'deal' bw govt and d oil companies that hv ensurd that Nigeria didnt get all d monies she is supposd to get, didnt just start in 2002 but hv bn so for like eternity. I guess everyone also knew that d oil industry is opaque and mostly corrupt and what is important now is not only to bring sm ppl to book( including sm ppl in dis admin) but also to try to block all d loopholes and opaqueness in dat industry...and this is where i hv a problem: d PIB bill that wud hv broken up d very corrupt NNPC, increased d amount of money payeable to d nation, input sm measure of transparency in d oil industry, force d oil companies to hv metering systems in their facilities so that we know exactly d amount of crude we are selling for d 1st time in our history etc, hv bn wit d National assembly for more than 3months( more than a month since they resumd) yet dat extremely critical bill hv only gone tru 1st reading( introductn). None of u Silly critics hv seen d need to questn d delays in d national assembly to do smthing that will at least serve as a foundation to solving d deep problems hv bn prevalent in dat industry for the longest time. For many of u noisemakers, dis isn't about solving d problem, just as ppl are taking into accounts for what they hv done BUT for u goons it is amount scoring sm few points, political points that is.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Children Protest El-Zakzaky's Detention In Bauchi State (Photos) / Gunmen Kill 11 In Rivers State / Fayose And Aregbesola Disagree On Sale Of National Assets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.