Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,846 members, 7,820,952 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:48 AM

Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency (15105 Views)

Buhari Raises Alarm, Says Terrorists Returning To Embarrass Govt / Presidency Intensifies Efforts To Discredit Ribadu Report. / Ribadu Report: Sack, Prosecute Oil Minister — Labour, SNG, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by takedat(m): 7:54pm On Oct 26, 2012
[b][/b]
taharqa: Oh yeah, is that right?...but then here is d questn again: cud you point out where exactly in d Reuters report there was PROVE dat dis govt was fradulent? I mean you must hv seen d Reuters article, just point the areas out

"I have not given any discretionary
awards during this administration,"
Alison-Madueke told Reuters, although
she added that the president had the
right to do so instead of using bids if he
saw fit. "That is entirely up to him," she
said.
Source http://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/idUKBRE89N0VV20121024?irpc=932

taharqa: Oh yeah, is that right?...but then here is d questn again: cud you point out where exactly in d Reuters report there was PROVE dat dis govt was fradulent? I mean you must hv seen d Reuters article, just point the areas out

Nigerian oil ministers between
2008-2011 handed out seven
discretionary licenses but there is $183
million in signature bonuses missing
from the deals, the report said. Three of
these oil licenses were awarded since
Alison-Madueke took up her position in
2010, according to the report.
said.

There is no way you can exonerate
this Government from this scandal. Though previous Governments were also involved. From the leaked report on Reuters it claimed "Nigerian oil ministers between
2008-2011 handed out seven
discretionary licenses but there is $183
million in signature bonuses missing
from the deals, the report said. Three of
these oil licenses were awarded since
Alison-Madueke took up her position in
2010, according to the report".
saw fit".

Where Is the signature bonuses from the three allocations that GEJ's Government awarded? Missing, according to the report.

The report also touched on the illegal award of oil blocs though discretionary but shady. An example is the secret allocations of oil blocs which are
against international best practices.

"Daily Trust learnt that the secret
allocations were done over the past one
year, even though government had said
the process of awarding oil licences
were to be executed publicly through
competitive bidding.
A newspaper report recently said All
Grace Energy is among companies that
benefitted from the deals. Records
made available to Daily Trust by the
Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC)
revealed that Iyabo Obasanjo-Bello is
the major shareholder of All Grace
Energy, which was registered on July
12, 2006 with N30 million share capital.
Mrs Obasanjo-Bello has six million
shares, followed by other directors/
shareholders: Abe Magnus Ngei (2
million), Mrs Abiri Dorcas (3 million), Dr.
Adenikinju Adeola (3 million), Ugbeya
Donatus (1 million), Alabi Yekini (1
million) and Alhaji Abubakar Abdullahi
(1 million). The company was registered
“to operate marginal fields for the
purpose of producing petroleum,
natural gas, liquefied petroleum gas
etc,” and has filed annual returns only
up to 2007, according to CAC records.
Apparently reacting to the recent report
that oil blocks were awarded illegally,
Director of the Department of
Petroleum Resources, Mr. Osten
Olorunsola, said at a conference in
Houston, United States, that the
president is empowered by law to make
such allocations.
This development flies in the face of the
Federal Government’s consistent
pledges to conduct fresh oil bid round.
The last public oil bid was conducted
during President Olusegun Obasanjo’s
regime. In 2010, for instance, Petroleum
Minister Diezani Alison-Madueke said
government was trying to “sort out
some issues” surrounding the previous
bid rounds before it starts fresh ones.
Instead, the government apparently
resorted to secret allocation of choice oil
blocks to companies belonging to
cronies, family members and
associates, industry analysts say. A
player in the oil industry, who craved
for anonymity, told Daily Trust the
government’s action would discourage
competition among indigenous oil
operators and also send wrong signals
to international investors.
A source at DPR said that the process of
awarding the oil blocks to Iyabo actually
started during Obasanjo’s
administration but “a disagreement
between Shell and DPR over the area to
farm-out couldn’t be reached until
recently when the Malabu oil block deal
was sealed between the Federal
Government and the multinationals.”
Oil block deal conditions not met
When our reporter contacted the
spokesperson for the DPR, Mrs Belema
Osibodu, she did not confirm or deny
that Iyabo’s company was given the oil
block but said the marginal fields were
awarded based on some conditions. She
said the conditions included the
development/execution of a public
private partnership (PPP) model for
three pilot projects under the small
scale gas utilisation scheme.
But when a Daily Trust reporter visited
Ubima community in Ikwerre local
government area, there was no
indication that such project was being
executed. The community happens to
be the country home of Governor Rotimi
Amaechi.
The chairman of Ubima community,
Elder Daniel Anwuzurike, told Daily
Trust that the community has been
living without electricity supply for the
past three months.Anwuzurike said he
was not aware of any power project
going on in the Ubima community.
‘Secret oil block deals going on for long’
The controversial oil field is considered
under “marginal oil fields” which the
Petroleum Act (Amended) 1996 defines
as “such field as the President may,
from time to time, identify as a
marginal field.” The law provides that
the holder of an OML can farm out
(lease out) any marginal field which lies
within the Oil Mining Lease (OML).
Reverend David Ugolor, Executive
Director, African Network for
Environment and Economic Justice
(ANEEJ), said this was not the first time
such secret allocation of oil blocks was
done by a president.
“In any case, the development
contravenes global best practice of
open competitive bidding and as such
should be discouraged,” Ugolor said.
“Nigerians are also kept in the dark as
to how much accrued to the country
from the exercise. The unresolved
regulatory issues has not allowed
potential investors, both local and
international, to make huge financial
commitment in the sector. Nigeria is
losing huge resources from the
dwindling investment in the sector and
there is also loss of potential revenue
from royalties,”
Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by AdeniyiA(m): 8:48pm On Oct 26, 2012
consider this scenario,assume am an astranaut sent to d moon to find out certain things and report back to d senders on earth,after d reports of my findings in d moon have been delivered,my boss decided to give it to amateurs on earth to review and look at it from some 'certain perspectives' .
help me ask o, wetin dem wan review.
dis country needs serious purging, both spiritual and physical
Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by mbaemeka(m): 9:10pm On Oct 26, 2012
Diezani is no saint but we shouldnt lose plot of whom is really overseeing the whole humdrum- President GEJ!

For starters, no single decision can be made by the Pet Min. without the consent of the president as she skillfully mentioned in this write up. It is GEJ's decision that she follows through with. for example, concerning the Oil bloc licensing, that decison soley rests on GEJ's side. She can only convince him on which companies to consider but being that the Oil and gas sector is of utmost pertinence to Nigerias economy i doubt that GEJ wouldnt have known exactly what had been conspiring.

I can give a rough patch of what happened to Ribadu and co. Following the knee-jerk response by nigerians and the consequent strike(S) the govt tried to play to the gallery by initiating all these committees like the Agbakobas and that of Ribadu. They were simply playing to the gallery and they had no intentions of really getting to the roots of the matter. I heard Olisa Agbakoba complain recently that "he wasted his time investigating and submitting a report of his findings to the govt only for them to do nothing about it" he also said "blame your minister". I assume that they had planned to do same with Ribadus report but he acted faster and ensured that the report wasnt doctored before being released.

Reuben Abati is just a joke thinking he could politicize such a serious matter like this thereby swaying Nigerians from the real issue which is that these govt is inept and unwilling to tackle corruption.

I blame GEJ first and foremost before blaming the Pet minister. They worked viz-a-viz.
Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by thegoodjoehunt(m): 9:46pm On Oct 26, 2012
eGuerrilla:

Whoever leaked the report clearly understands how these things work in Obodo Nigeria, Mr Abati cheesy

I've always stressed it. Leaking reports to reporters is the best way to go. Expose the document before it is swept under the carpet.
wink

1 Like

Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by taharqa: 10:09pm On Oct 26, 2012
take dat:

said.

Right. I have already commented on this:

1st, I hv already commentd that there are still considerable levels of corruptn in govts(all tiers and levels) and of course d general public. I will neva vogued for any person in d oil industry in 9ja- dat place is 'darkness' itself, has always been and we are only just starting to see sm small light recently there and we shld nt be too surprisd to see d many tins we were nt allowd to see previously; my main problem is d noisemaking, worthless complaints, hypocrism and d penchant of sm ppl to distort info for sm gain. Plz respond to my 2nd comment on pg.1....by d way from dat Reuters report if am not wrong, discretionary lincenses are nt illegal( it is within d powers of d president to do so); d problem was that d signature bonus( apparently including d 3 given by dis admin) was said to be 'missing'( which cud mean that they hv eida bn stolen or not yet reconcild). I guess when d report comes out we wud know...i hv also previously calld for the Pet Min to resign in order to put sm more light in dat sector

Okay so I get you; this whole thing on the present admin is that 3 discretionary licenses out of 11 others were given out( which is not illegal as the report said) but whose signature bonus may be 'missing' according to the report while most of the report talked about previous admins. This is what the fuse is all about, right? This is why you guys are saying that the whole govt is fraudulent, right? So this is the EARTH-SCATTERING revelation esp when compared to what has been going on in Nigeria's Oil industry? I just wanted to be clear that that is what you are saying.

So you know- am not holding forth for Diezaini. Why the hell would I do that. Just as I believe that almost NO bank Chief Executive any where in the world is 'clean', so do I believe that almost NO oil industry Exec in Nigeria is 'clean'( just name them)- I have long call for her resignation so that the reforms and opening-up happening in that opaque oil industry would not be stalled by bickering over her competence and/or culpability. And if those bonuses are actually found to be missing, heads should roll. But for God's sake, lets not make this what it is not ESPECIALLY when those people who make these noise chicken out when the main work needs doing as I argued here:

https://www.nairaland.com/1085138/ribadu-report-plan-embarrass-government/1#12708121
Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by thegoodjoehunt(m): 10:27pm On Oct 26, 2012
Profidada: As for me i have lost hope in this entity called nigeria. I have criticised constructivey and destructively, caused and prayed for these politicians hoping that they will change but it appears the more you talk the more you see. Well i have decided to carry my cross. I have started a course on hacking specifically for government agencies like the nnpc, ministry of petroleum resources, cbn and other lucrative agencies. I cant continue to sit at the fence, i must have a share of this largesse.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Best comment so far. wink
Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by thegoodjoehunt(m): 10:43pm On Oct 26, 2012
D'TruSon:
“…there was no plan to cover up the findings of the committee, but that ANOTHER COMMITTEE HAS BEEN SET UP TO LOOK INTO THE CONTENTS”.

D above words ain’t mine but that of our Minister for Petroleum resources,Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke.

Emotions apart,talking about how and why the committee report was leaked is like chasing a small rat where there is a big antelope… Any well meaning Nigerian will be more bothered on the alleged findings of the committee and not why and how it was leaked.

What are the facts here? 1.D report of Ribadu’s committee was leaked…2. D Minister of Petroleum was centrally indicted 3. Abati and the Minister’s spokesperson have invariably confirmed that the leaked report is perhaps the committees findings 4. No reaction has been made either by Ribadu or any member of the committee.

MY VIEW
To calm frayed nerves after d fuel subsidy brouhaha, GEJ / Madueke were desperate to ‘show’ Nigerians that they acted sincerely…Thus, they felt the only way to do this is to appoint someone with huge credibility to head one of the innumerable committees that the administration has set up since inception…The logic was (arguably) that ‘ if a notorious anti corruption crusader like Ribadu can give us a clean bill, Nigerians will no doubt be convinced that we acted sincerely’.

But this ‘plan’ has backfired!!!

As evidenced by the above quoted words of Madueke, another committee has been set up to probe the contents of Ribadu’s committee!!! I know as a matter of fact that whoever might have leaked the said report probably did so because he/she knows that it will be counter intuitive to submit a report that is against the person(s) that set up the panel… What more? D Minister has set up another committee that will give her a clean bill!!! And If the report has not been officially submitted as claimed by Abati, why is the Minister in a hurry to set up another committee to criticise the content of a report that has not been submitted?

In my view, the drama has just started!!! I hope ethnic / religious bigots will see how these people are stealing our collective wealth silly…D most baffling thing is that many ethnic bigots that comment on this page have allowed primeval sentiments to becloud their reasoning to the extent that they cannot see any sense in standing up against corrupt politicians…!!!

True Words Man.
Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by COOLDUN: 3:27am On Oct 27, 2012
taharqa: You dont know what you are talking about. No govt in 9ja's history has even bn remotely close to this one in openness in governmental processes or to criticisms. Which govt signd d FOI bill and exposed its budget details to scrutiny for God's sake; it seems many of u guys hv severe amnesia about what took place in previous govts or you guys chose to be typical Nigerian noisemaking critics, ko?....there certainly is room for more openness of course; d reason dis govt is a distant 1st is cos previous govts were mainly 'darkness' personified

From all indications you are the Ruben Abati of the GEJ's government on the Nairaland. What is the gain of exposing the criminals without prosecuting and punishing them? You should know that it is easier to convince a blind fellow with the color of the soup than with its taste. Every Nigerian is aware of your types and your jobs to sell this government to the Nigerians irrespective of their day to day political blunders. No matter how you try to make the Nigerians to see red and call it white, the more their eyes are opened to see your lies and evil support for the most clueless government ever witnessed in the history of Africa.

1 Like

Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by lukkie(m): 6:31am On Oct 27, 2012
Congratulations, Nigerians. Keep voting for these PDP criminals. 2015 is around the corner.
Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by b03liberty(m): 6:41am On Oct 27, 2012
Alison-Madueke had said while reacting to Reuters enquiries that a committee had been set up by the Ministry of Petroleum Resources to look into differences in perspective on the Ribadu committee report.
The Acting Group General Manager, Public Affairs, Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, Mr. Fidel Pepple, said a reconciliation committee was necessary.,,,,,judgement delay is denied...whic kind kountry be diz committe committe committe
Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by solomonkane(m): 8:56am On Oct 27, 2012
Anybody who knows where Beaf is should please beg him to come back, at least he is a learned goon unlike this akara numbskull. Thank God it was Reuters who reported this and not Sahara Reporters. Abati has by his utterances given credence to insinuations that the report is factual and there is a plan to cover it up and I wait to see how it plays out.

1 Like

Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by farem: 4:27pm On Nov 10, 2012
taharqa: I was just going to say that you were bn too naive that sm propagandists wud nt turn this whole thing into a 'get-GEJ, pull his govt down' crusade even if as you said this happend mostly during Obj and Yar'adua eras and that it is GEJ that 4 d 1st time is trying to bring sm measure of openness to an industry that has bn ran like a cult ever since crude oil was discoverd in 9ja( and by d way, they hv already startd the 'GEJ causd everything campaign'). I was going to correct you till i took a lot at yr handle and realisd you are even one of them.....you know it kind of funny hw sm ppl reason- many of u guys count d Pension Scam amongst d 'sins' of GEJ when it was this same GEJ that orderd d Fin Min to probe d payments and overhead in d civil service that found out d sleeze that has bn going on for a loong time in d pensions witout anyone pushing 4 it. Not only are sm of d persons indictd undergoing trials and hv had their properties seizd by d courts, but that same probe discoverd perhaps about 30,000 ghost workers, introducd an IT-basd payment system and is one of d reasons d FG was able to cut overhead cost by half from about #526billion in 2010 to #230billion this time around. Still sm of u still count Pension Scam as one of d crimes of GEJ. Way to go
taharqa: I was just going to say that you were bn too naive that sm propagandists wud nt turn this whole thing into a 'get-GEJ, pull his govt down' crusade even if as you said this happend mostly during Obj and Yar'adua eras and that it is GEJ that 4 d 1st time is trying to bring sm measure of openness to an industry that has bn ran like a cult ever since crude oil was discoverd in 9ja( and by d way, they hv already startd the 'GEJ causd everything campaign'). I was going to correct you till i took a lot at yr handle and realisd you are even one of them.....you know it kind of funny hw sm ppl reason- many of u guys count d Pension Scam amongst d 'sins' of GEJ when it was this same GEJ that orderd d Fin Min to probe d payments and overhead in d civil service that found out d sleeze that has bn going on for a loong time in d pensions witout anyone pushing 4 it. Not only are sm of d persons indictd undergoing trials and hv had their properties seizd by d courts, but that same probe discoverd perhaps about 30,000 ghost workers, introducd an IT-basd payment system and is one of d reasons d FG was able to cut overhead cost by half from about #526billion in 2010 to #230billion this time around. Still sm of u still count Pension Scam as one of d crimes of GEJ. Way to go
So we need to waste billions just to uncover what we already knew? Only a dead government like Jonathan's does and boasts about this!
A serious govt prosecutes and sets deterrents for who-would-be thief tomorrow. Paddy-padey govt
Re: Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency by Gbawe: 9:51am On Jan 05, 2015
Can Nigerians now ask why 'oga at the top' of corruption failed to implement the recommendations of the Ribadu petroleum task force?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bode George, Dokpesi For PDP Chairmanship Position / Buhari And Igbo Presidency In 2023 / Coalition Asks EFCC, Malami To Probe Tinubu, Fashola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.