Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,510 members, 7,826,936 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:45 PM

Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes (12830 Views)

Lagos To Demolish 800 Houses For 4th Mainland Bridge / Obasanjo On Bicycles 1980 / Lagos/Ibadan Expressway To Be 10 Lanes —FERMA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by geeez: 11:42am On Oct 29, 2012
In a bid to give Nigeria’s most populous city an effective transport system, the state government has announced plans to introduce bicycles lanes on major roads across the city.

Mannie leading this year's participants in Park and Ride
This announcement was made by the Commissioner for Transportation in Lagos, Mr Kayode Opeifa, on Sunday at a cycling event ‘Park and Ride’ which urge Nigerians to park their cars and ride bicycles for an enhanced lifestyle and cleaner environment.

Speaking at the event as the special guest, Mr Opeifa noted that “the bicycle programme is on and pretty soon, you will see some roads in Lagos, marked as bike zones.”

According to the Commissioner, “what is alternative to Okada (motorcycle) is the bicycle.”

This is coming at a time when the state government is still embroiled in controversy with the Okada riders over their restriction to ride on some highways in the city and a recent clampdown on them for defaulting the new Lagos Traffic law.

Discouraging the use of okada on walkable distance, the Commissioner stated that “anybody who wants to take a bike (okada) from their house to the bus stop, should use their bicycles.”

“And when they (commuters in Lagos) get to the bus stop they should tie their bikes to the poles provided at the bus stop and join the BRT buses.” “The poles we are providing at the bus stops are not for decorations but for people to tie their bicycles” he added.

“All over the world, from London to Stockholm to Buenos Aires, people now ride their bikes to work because it saves the environment of the gaseous emissions that is harmful to the environment.”

He also noted that cycling will enhance people’s lifestyle and thereby improve their productive and lifespan which he claims will also have a resultant effect on the nation’s GDP.

Acknowledging that the tropical weather in Lagos will make it uncomfortable for cyclers, the Commissioner noted that “yes, the weather will make people sweat but offices will be urged to provide showers” to ameliorate the discomfort.

This he claimed is done across the world.

Park n Ride is an annual event organized by On Air personality, Mannie of CoolFM Lagos, which urges people to park their cars and ride bicycles in a bid to address climate change and improve people’s lifestyle.

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/10/29/lagos-to-get-bicycles-lanes/

5 Likes

Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by geeez: 11:43am On Oct 29, 2012
Great one! Just like the bicycle lanes in NYC.

Way to go.
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by ikeyman00(m): 11:46am On Oct 29, 2012
@@@

nice
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by Kx: 11:46am On Oct 29, 2012
Is it the roads that have unfilled pits and potholes that they want to create bicycle lanes on?

6 Likes

Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by ikeyman00(m): 11:50am On Oct 29, 2012
^^^ wonder oo?
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by Nobody: 11:51am On Oct 29, 2012
that will be great.
but hope the lanes will not be taken over by beggers and traders

6 Likes

Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by Nobody: 12:01pm On Oct 29, 2012
If only we had sane drivers on the roads.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by geeez: 12:02pm On Oct 29, 2012
rafhell: that will be great.
but hope the lanes will not be taken over by beggers and traders

The bicycle lanes I've seen in other countries cant be occupied by beggars. I've seen some in the middle of the roads while some are close to the kerbs. It sure makes a lot of sense as this will reduce pressure on the roads as well as traffic when you can ride to a bus stop or train station ( as soon as the red and blue lines are commissioned), and thereafter go on the bus or train to your destination. In the UK, some people even take their bicycles on the trains during off peak periods.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by Nobody: 12:10pm On Oct 29, 2012
Na for Nigeria e wan happen? How e go be to ride bicycle from my house to the island? E no go easy o!
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by Horus(m): 12:14pm On Oct 29, 2012
They should also create bicycle parkings across the city
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by Desola(f): 12:19pm On Oct 29, 2012
More money for Lagos! Lagos is doing all it takes to drive in the revenue. A good way to show that with good initiatives, a country does not have to rely so heavily on the derivatives from oil.

This is assuming that the bikes would be provided by LASG and riders would have to pay to use them, of course.
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by achi4u(m): 12:22pm On Oct 29, 2012
btw bicycle and motorcyle which one is more useful

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by ikeyman00(m): 12:24pm On Oct 29, 2012
More money for Lagos! Lagos is doing all it takes to drive in the revenue. A good way to show that with good initiatives, a country does not have to rely so heavily on the derivatives from oil.

This is assuming that the bikes would be provided by LASG and riders would have to pay to use them, of course.

^^^^ yes we already know that

nice to appreciate the tax payers which u embellish to hate some of them lipsrsealed
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by Desola(f): 12:28pm On Oct 29, 2012
ikeyman00:

^^^^ yes we already know that

nice to appreciate the tax payers which u embellish to hate some of them lipsrsealed

Perhaps because that 'some' brought the hate upon themselves.

Listen, this thread is not about you and yours but about the ingenuity of the LASG - can we keep to the topic?
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by naptu2: 12:28pm On Oct 29, 2012
At last! This is what Ojo Madueke should have done. Kudos to LASG.

Let me quickly address some of the criticisms that were directed at Ojo Madueke.

1) Some people said "How do you expect me to ride a bicycle from my house in Oshodi to my office in Victoria Island?".

Ans: That's not what this initiative is for. You are expected to use the BRT or LRT for such journeys. However, you are expected to cycle when you want to go to the supermarket, barbershop, chemist, tv viewing centre, video club, cybercafe, bank, etc in your neighbourhood.

Oh, and the fact that you cycle does not mean that you are going back to the stone age. Rather, you are helping to save the planet, exercising, reducing traffic jams and living a healthier life.

Ojo Madueke (who was minister for transportation) cycling to a Federal Executive Council meeting.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/775157_Ojo20Maduekwe20bicycle_jpg405cf70723099f0d4a6d05dd118e1ee9

13 Likes

Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by ikeyman00(m): 12:37pm On Oct 29, 2012
@@@@desola

Perhaps because that 'some' brought the hate upon themselves.

Listen, this thread is not about you and yours but about the ingenuity of the LASG - can we keep to the topic?

yes u are correct there; they brought the hate just for being blessed! thanks and hope we now move on from here

thanks sis?
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by Desola(f): 12:42pm On Oct 29, 2012
ikeyman00: @@@@desola

yes u are correct there; they brought the hate just for being blessed! thanks and hope we now move on from here

thanks sis?

Okay, you are blessed and that is why you're hated.

NOw, keep it moving...
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by geeez: 12:57pm On Oct 29, 2012
berem: Na for Nigeria e wan happen? How e go be to ride bicycle from my house to the island? E no go easy o!

This village Igbo girl has started again. You obviously didn't read the post

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by TheKingsQueen: 12:57pm On Oct 29, 2012
Kx: Is it the roads that have unfilled pits and potholes that they want to create bicycle lanes on?

Where are they? I hope you know that we are not talking about your village roads here
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by TheKingsQueen: 12:59pm On Oct 29, 2012
Eko o ni baje o!
Btw, will the Lagos traffic law also affect the bicycle riders?
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by Afam4eva(m): 1:03pm On Oct 29, 2012
THis one go make sens eoo...I can't wait to purchase my own bicycle.

Eko oni Baje...O baje ti ti ti..
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by TheKingsQueen: 1:03pm On Oct 29, 2012
geeez:
“And when they (commuters in Lagos) get to the bus stop they should tie their bikes to the poles provided at the bus stop and join the BRT buses.” “The poles we are providing at the bus stops are not for decorations but for people to tie their bicycles” he added.
But what if I come back to the pole and don't see my bicycle? shocked sad cry

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by naptu2: 1:14pm On Oct 29, 2012
Park and ride

Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by ikeyman00(m): 1:32pm On Oct 29, 2012
geez
This village Igbo girl has started again. You obviously didn't read the post

save ur venom for another day and let the real taxpayer and Lagosian have a say

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by hercules07: 1:44pm On Oct 29, 2012
naptu2: At last! This is what Ojo Madueke should have done. Kudos to LASG.

Let me quickly address some of the criticisms that were directed at Ojo Madueke.

1) Some people said "How do you expect me to ride a bicycle from my house in Oshodi to my office in Victoria Island?".

Ans: That's not what this initiative is for. You are expected to use the BRT or LRT for such journeys. However, you are expected to cycle when you want to go to the supermarket, barbershop, chemist, tv viewing centre, video club, cybercafe, bank, etc in your neighbourhood.

Oh, and the fact that you cycle does not mean that you are going back to the stone age. Rather, you are helping to save the planet, exercising, reducing traffic jams and living a healthier life

I hope you know that Ojo was hit by a bus on that day..

Ojo Madueke (who was minister for transportation) cycling to a Federal Executive Council meeting.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/775157_Ojo20Maduekwe20bicycle_jpg405cf70723099f0d4a6d05dd118e1ee9
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by geeez: 1:49pm On Oct 29, 2012
ikeyman00: geez

save ur venom for another day and let the real taxpayer and Lagosian have a say

STFU! My folks are from Lagos and though I was born in the US, I grew up in Lagos, schooled in Lagos and currently make most of my money in Lagos and pay my taxes. Oponu iranu

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by salam001(m): 1:55pm On Oct 29, 2012
geeez:

STFU! My folks are from Lagos and though I was born in the US, I grew up in Lagos, schooled in Lagos and currently make most of my money in Lagos and pay my taxes. Oponu iranu
You mean United states of ajegunle,I av been there too

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by geeez: 1:57pm On Oct 29, 2012
salam001: You mean United states of ajegunle,I av been there too

Okay! When did Ajegunle become a state? Brain cells drying up

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by salam001(m): 2:00pm On Oct 29, 2012
Guy,cool down,no insults please,I come in peace
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by olisa1010: 2:02pm On Oct 29, 2012
PreOrder your Bicycles now....distributors are welcome.

www.greatzonelimited.com

GreatZone International Limited
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by SlyIg(f): 2:02pm On Oct 29, 2012
Yes o o o o o o... Eko,oni baje ...
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by geeez: 2:05pm On Oct 29, 2012
salam001: Guy,cool down,no insults please,I come in peace

Okay! Peace!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Kogi CoS and Philanthropist Asuku Celebrated By Nigerians on His Birthday / IKEDC Estimated Bill: We Travelled For Christmas, Yet We Were Still Billed. / 2023: Appeal Court Reinstates Adebutu, Other PDP Candidates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.