Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,235 members, 7,842,655 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 11:46 AM

Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes (12845 Views)

Lagos To Demolish 800 Houses For 4th Mainland Bridge / Obasanjo On Bicycles 1980 / Lagos/Ibadan Expressway To Be 10 Lanes —FERMA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by Classicalman(m): 4:21pm On Oct 29, 2012
Na today! Bicycle ko, Bicyclette ni. I just hope the transport commissioner and his bicycle preachers also use bicycles. Hopefully, they won't end up like this: http://allafrica.com/stories/200107190480.html
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by omowolewa: 4:28pm On Oct 29, 2012
How will my fat landlady ride bic to Shogule where she sells now?
The poor woman go waka Sha.

Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by naptu2: 4:32pm On Oct 29, 2012
I'll address the issue of security before making my comment.

The transport adviser is addressing the issue of multi-modal transport system. The idea - cycle from your home to the BRT bus stop and tie the bike there. You'll be given a ticket by the BRT ticketers with which you'll retrieve your bike when you come back. Remember, we usually have ticketers, security people, etc at the bus stop.

Question: what do you do when you get to...for example, Marina car park or Mega Plaza car park? That's what you'll do at the cycle park.
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by Nobody: 4:33pm On Oct 29, 2012
Classicalman: Na today! Bicycle ko, Bicyclette ni. I just hope the transport commissioner and his bicycle preachers also use bicycles. Hopefully, they won't end up like this: http://allafrica.com/stories/200107190480.html
It doesn't necessarily mean everybody must ride a bicycle. You guys are taking it on a wrong ground.
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by tunapawizzy: 4:37pm On Oct 29, 2012
ItsModella: Do they think they can turn Lagos to L.A or London just like that? I understand their intention but it will be nearly impossible to implement. Anybody who knows the Lagos traffic knows how difficult it is to control. Let's not even talk about the poor security; LASTMA, Agberos etc. Inshort, anybody who goes on his bicycle must understand say na die he dey.

see thru challenges to spot the opportunities beyond. think of human beings as a hot liquid wax poured in a container, when d wax solidifies it takes d shape of d container. in d absence of laws we might seem like barbarians....enforce d law n u'll be surprised how a barbarian will be orderly and well mannered. d little traffic laws in lagos is a testimony

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by naptu2: 4:44pm On Oct 29, 2012
History is a very important subject. It sometimes shows you what's possible. It seems that most of the people who say that Fashola is trying to copy practices in the West that are not practicable here do not know the history of Lagos.

Much of what Fashola is trying to do is not new. He is only trying to restore the order that existed in the 1950s and '60s.

1) Cycle lanes: In the past, there were many lanes that were exclusively for cyclists and pedestrians. In South-West Ikoyi there were the lane the connected CVU with Manuwa Street and the lane that connected Keffi Street with Norman Williams Street. Part of Cow Lane on Lagos Island was off limits to cars and only used by cyclists and pedestrians. There were many more, but unfortunately I can't remember their names.

LRT: In the past there was the Lagos Steam Tramway that ran from the Lagos Rail Terminus at Iddo to Lagos Island and even Victoria Island. Governor Jakande also tried to revive the metro system in Lagos.

Parks and gardens: Marina once had a beautiful garden where people could relax in the evenings. That was lost in the '70s, but Fashola has brought it back. Park View Estate in Ikoyi was once a large park.

Restriction on the movement of articulated trucks: Articulated trucks were banned from plying Lagos roads in the daytime during the colonial era.

In the past we had post boxes, fire hydrants, doorstep milk deliveries, etc in Lagos (I saw some of these things).

Bringing them back is not impossible!

3 Likes

Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 4:48pm On Oct 29, 2012
naptu2: History is a very important subject. It sometimes shows you what's possible. It seems that most of the people who say that Fashola is trying to copy practices in the West that are not practicable here do not know the history of Lagos.

Much of what Fashola is trying to do is not new. He is only trying to restore the order that existed in the 1950s and '60s.

1) Cycle lanes: In the past, there were many lanes that were exclusively for cyclists and pedestrians. In South-West Ikoyi there were the lane the connected CVU with Manuwa Street and the lane that connected Keffi Street with Norman Williams Street. Part of Cow Lane on Lagos Island was off limits to cars and only used by cyclists and pedestrians. There were many more, but unfortunately I can't remember their names.

LRT: In the past there was the Lagos Steam Tramway that ran from the Lagos Rail Terminus at Iddo to Lagos Island and even Victoria Island. Governor Jakande also tried to revive the metro system in Lagos.

Parks and gardens: Marina once had a beautiful garden where people could relax in the evenings. That was lost in the '70s, but Fashola has brought it back. Park View Estate in Ikoyi was once a large park.

Restriction on the movement of articulated trucks: Articulated trucks were banned from plying Lagos roads in the daytime during the colonial era.

In the past we had post boxes, fire hydrants, doorstep milk deliveries, etc in Lagos (I saw some of these things).

Guy. you are a walking encyclopedia.. are you speaking from first-hand experience.. waow.. I cut double-salute to you sir cheesy I thought I was the only 80s dude on nairaland
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by naptu2: 5:11pm On Oct 29, 2012
lagerwhenindoubt:

Guy. you are a walking encyclopedia.. are you speaking from first-hand experience.. waow.. I cut double-salute to you sir cheesy I thought I was the only 80s dude on nairaland

Thanks.
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by Nobody: 5:14pm On Oct 29, 2012
tunapawizzy:

see thru challenges to spot the opportunities beyond. think of human beings as a hot liquid wax poured in a container, when d wax solidifies it takes d shape of d container. in d absence of laws we might seem like barbarians....enforce d law n u'll be surprised how a barbarian will be orderly and well mannered. d little traffic laws in lagos is a testimony
Traffic control laws have to be properly implemented and enforced before proposing bicycle lanes. Of what point is it when there is a disorganized traffic and then a bicycle lane. The bicycle riders are the ones at real risk.
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by IfyAwazie(f): 5:30pm On Oct 29, 2012
pro01: Lol. Seriously, Nigeria is in a big mess. When those in government are so blatantly disconnected from everyday reality and oblivious of the pains and problems of the people they govern, then all hope is lost. All what they do is come up with one white elephant project or quixotic idea or the other, rather than address the REAL problems and hardships afflicting the populace (bad roads, collapsed infrastructure, public service inefficiency, inadequate/disfunctional systems, etc). Sadly, their equally disconnected (and deluded) children/wards in the diaspora would cheer them on from overseas - on the internet.

The masses are in serious trouble. I really empathise with them, but there is only so much that one can do. It is left to them to rise up and do the needful. If these arrogant and incompetent jokers in Alausa and elsewhere are the best we have to govern us, then the worst is yet to come.
Too much gramma
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by IfyAwazie(f): 5:31pm On Oct 29, 2012
salam001: I pray he adds an additional lane for those of us who loves skating
lol
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by doppler777(m): 5:34pm On Oct 29, 2012
naptu2: History is a very important subject. It sometimes shows you what's possible. It seems that most of the people who say that Fashola is trying to copy practices in the West that are not practicable here do not know the history of Lagos.

Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by IfyAwazie(f): 5:39pm On Oct 29, 2012
obi123: things are improving by the grace of God, off topic , i wonder if there's still land around that igbobi hospital area because there will soon be a need to expand the hospital very soon because of the expected influx of bicycle related accidents
It wont be as bad as dat of okada
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by dont8(m): 5:43pm On Oct 29, 2012
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by Nobody: 5:45pm On Oct 29, 2012
ItsModella:
Traffic control laws have to be properly implemented and enforced before proposing bicycle lanes. Of what point is it when there is a disorganized traffic and then a bicycle lane. The bicycle riders are the ones at real risk.
Exactly, even in London, rate of cycle accident is on the high side despite the ACL CL,telematics,traffic calming e.t.c., and that is a city with sane drivers that were accessed rigorously before they obtained their licenses. The commissioner expects me to ride my bicycle on the same road with drivers that have smoked hemp with shots of ogogoro. The commissioner needs to visit India on how transport is being managed in Mumbai or Delhi and not in the line of Amsterdam or Seoul.
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by dont8(m): 6:04pm On Oct 29, 2012
You're right brother, it's very unfortunate that most of this infrastractures were also in Mainland and Surulere too.

We should appreciate people that are bringing them back now, there is a lot of positive attached to this, reduction in fuel consumption, decrease in number of vehicle plying the road and health benefit amongst other benefits.

PS - One naira was once an equivalent of one dollar!

Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by KpagoGIN(m): 6:14pm On Oct 29, 2012
So wait a minute he takes out okada and wants to introduce cycles lanes for this lagos people will still want to pick passengers,and there are bicycles that look like okada
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by Hardfact: 6:26pm On Oct 29, 2012
Just wondering the impact it'd have on Lagos traffic and ease of movement if fuel-efficient motorcycles are given separate lanes. Will it be safer riding a bicycle instead of bike on separate lanes
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by Desola(f): 6:42pm On Oct 29, 2012
It would be silly for LASG not to monetise this initiative and provide rental bicycles. If the state wouldn't do it, then I better start thinking of partnering with BMX and other bicycle manufacturers with the aim of providing cycle rentals at this stop.

This is an avenue to make money, people. Think!

Betterstill, find a reliable local manufacturer to cut costs and roll out big time.
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by otokx(m): 7:11pm On Oct 29, 2012
nice
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by Truckpusher(m): 7:15pm On Oct 29, 2012
Desola: It would be silly for LASG not to monetise this initiative and provide rental bicycles. If the state wouldn't do it, then I better start thinking of partnering with BMX and other bicycle manufacturers with the aim of providing cycle rentals at this stop.

Betterstill, find a reliable local manufacturer to cut costs and roll out big time.
That's a fine initiative.I totally agree with you on this one,the bicycle lane would somehow reduce some unnecessary heavy traffic that is caused by some folks running on little errands in nearby shops.If you are ready to do business hook me up on NL at least for once we can agree on something...lol.
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by bolayei: 7:29pm On Oct 29, 2012
mayor of london rides a bike to work and some mps its not a biggie. i used to walk from surulere to apapa as a little boy. bicycle lanes will be of benefit even to the so called poor man because no need to give pikin dem transport money since most people school locally. even me when i go to nigeria i will have a bicycle ready since i trust it more than those lagos drivers wey no go driving school and its safer and will save the planet. And will create employment e.t.c
naptu2: At last! This is what Ojo Madueke should have done. Kudos to LASG.

Let me quickly address some of the criticisms that were directed at Ojo Madueke.

1) Some people said "How do you expect me to ride a bicycle from my house in Oshodi to my office in Victoria Island?".

Ans: That's not what this initiative is for. You are expected to use the BRT or LRT for such journeys. However, you are expected to cycle when you want to go to the supermarket, barbershop, chemist, tv viewing centre, video club, cybercafe, bank, etc in your neighbourhood.

Oh, and the fact that you cycle does not mean that you are going back to the stone age. Rather, you are helping to save the planet, exercising, reducing traffic jams and living a healthier life.

Ojo Madueke (who was minister for transportation) cycling to a Federal Executive Council meeting.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/775157_Ojo20Maduekwe20bicycle_jpg405cf70723099f0d4a6d05dd118e1ee9
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by bolayei: 7:39pm On Oct 29, 2012
some nigerians cant imagine how someone born in the united states will say something like oponu iranu thats why he is asking if its ajegunle u no go blame am.
geeez:

Okay! When did Ajegunle become a state? Brain cells drying up
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by bolayei: 7:54pm On Oct 29, 2012
im sure alot of people saying its not possible werent born or bred in lagos, i live in london and believe it or not the lagos i knew is no different to london, now when i hear numbers like 10-15 million people as against the 300k when i was in lagos is shocking, if lagos is defaced its the towns people that defaced it with their lifestyles and hustling ways. Fashola should make lagos unlivable for those that cant keep to the laws and maintain simple hygiene and anyone caught breaking the law should not just be jailed but do community service like sweep roads and fill pot holes etc and see if lagos will not go back to normal.There is more to come even to child abuse and the rest,it pains me to see minors hawking it burns my heart. Nigerians for a better nigeria support Fashola not his party
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by Nonya: 8:07pm On Oct 29, 2012
Desola: It would be silly for LASG not to monetise this initiative and provide rental bicycles. If the state wouldn't do it, then I better start thinking of partnering with BMX and other bicycle manufacturers with the aim of providing cycle rentals at this stop.

Yes! Great minds think alike. As soon as I saw this topic I began to envision it in Lagos. 'Rent a Bike'. An exact setup is in place where I stay.

Let's see who'll be the first to implement it. wink
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by 1forall: 9:52pm On Oct 29, 2012
Mildly put, I found those statements by the commissioner patronizing.

At a glance the immediate transportation problem in Lagos is mass transportation. Did the commissioner not ask himself how many cars shall be kept off the road per bicycle?

And how does a bicycle become an alternative to an okada?? grin

These guys are jokers sha, Mr commissioner comparing Stockholm to Lagos where the basic transport infrastructure are barely in place is funny. Deliver a functioning transport system comprising rail and water transport, well planned roads, roads and more roads first before you start asking molue-enterers to begin dey ride bicycle.
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by Nobody: 10:27pm On Oct 29, 2012
1forall: Mildly put, I found those statements by the commissioner patronizing.

At a glance the immediate transportation problem in Lagos is mass transportation. Did the commissioner not ask himself how many cars shall be kept off the road per bicycle?

And how does a bicycle become an alternative to an okada?? grin

These guys are jokers sha, Mr commissioner comparing Stockholm to Lagos where the basic transport infrastructure are barely in place is funny. Deliver a functioning transport system comprising rail and water transport, well planned roads, roads and more roads first before you start asking molue-enterers to begin dey ride bicycle.

You dey mind them? Leave them and their misguided supporters (mostly in the diaspora). Their heads are stuck in the clouds. Quixotic is the most complimentary word I can think of to describe this ridiculous plan.

Sad thing is that if and when this thing kicks off, you would see the commissioner and his boss smiling for the cameras and purporting to ride bicycles around some fancy streets in Ikoyi and Victoria Island, and that would be it. Why wouldn't they try that stunt around Okokomaiko, Oshodi, Ajegunle, Iyana Ipaja, and other densely populated areas with dysfunctional roads and infrastructure - where the majority of the population reside? Yet they would expect the ordinary people to ride bicyles around these dangerous zones and bear the risks silently? Disgusting hypocrites.
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by Nobody: 10:27pm On Oct 29, 2012
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by Nonya: 10:47pm On Oct 29, 2012
^
You are aware that development can occur simultaneously right?

Whether some people can make sense of it or not. Innovation must to happen. wink
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by KwoiZabo(m): 10:59pm On Oct 29, 2012
Park ur bicycle go now. if i hear say i no steal am.
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by Nobody: 11:46pm On Oct 29, 2012
Nigerians and unnecessary pride. you may be classified as the poorest, if you have an okada not to talk of a bicycle.

But who cares?
Re: Lagos To Get Bicycles Lanes by Nobody: 12:09am On Oct 30, 2012
geeez:
. I've seen some in the middle of the roads while some are close to the[b] kerbs[/b]

What is a "Kerbs"?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

35 New Firms Open For Business In Ogun State In Two Years / FG Files Fresh Charges Against Co-defendants Of Nnamdi Kanu / ''APC Will Win 2019 Elections'' - President Buhari Boasts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.