Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,868 members, 7,813,958 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:46 PM

Why I Voted For Obama- MI Abaga - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Voted For Obama- MI Abaga (1125 Views)

Lucy Bisi-onabanjo: ‘I Voted For Buhari Despite Jailing My Husband Because...' / Why I Will Not Vote Buhari Even Though I Voted Him B4 / I'v Start Regreting Why I Voted For Gej. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Voted For Obama- MI Abaga by redcliff: 9:09pm On Nov 07, 2012
WHY I VOTED FOR OBAMA

WHY AND HOW I VOTED FOR OBAMA

I voted for Obama.

I didn’t intend to do so at the beginning, I’ll admit that.

Truth is, I wasn’t concerned with the processes of the US elections. I felt that just because I am a Nigerian- born and bred and living in this here great nation- my duty was simply to hold a passing interest in American politics.

Like every other Nigerian, I thought there was no need to pay the US Elections any attention. I thought it did not concern me.

I was wrong.

It was my neighbor who first enlightened me. I’d walked over to get the pair of gardener’s shears he’d borrowed off me months ago.

“Hello,” He said as soon as he saw me, “Election’s coming soon. Pretty exciting, eh?”

I wasn’t sure what elections these were, or whether they were indeed exciting.

“Why, Obama VS Romney,” he said, answering the question my face had become. “Who are you supporting?”

“Er…” I said. Up till that moment I hadn’t thought about it.

“Hello?” He said, face alight with incredulity, “You’re not supporting Obama?”

“Well”, I said scratching my head, “I suppose I am.”

“Good,” he said, “We need to support him as a people.”

He was staring off into the distance with a far off look in his eyes.

I hazarded a question, “This support you speak of? How do we get it to him? How, for example, do we vote?”

He looked at me like I had the IQ of a rock.

“Via Skype?” I ventured.

He shook his head heavily.

I tried again: “Facebook?”

He sighed heavily.

“Don’t let a little detail like that stop you from supporting him,” he said. “He needs all the support he can get.”

And went inside to put on his generator. The power had been off since morning.

I didn’t get the shears.

………………………………………………..

When I arrived at work the next day my colleagues were having a heated discussion. I wondered what had happened.

“See the debate last night?” One asked.

“Er… Not really” I said.

“Stayed up all night to see it.” He informed me with a superior air.

“I worry for Obama,” said another, “He didn’t put up a good performance.”

“He’s down two points in the polls” Another added. ”Saw that on the news this morning.”

“Democrat or Republican?” One asked me suspiciously.

I cast about wildly for an answer.

“Obama,” I said.

They cheered.

I still didn’t get it, but I began to see how this worked.

It wasn’t easy at first. There was a lot I needed to learn. Like how my precious vote could be given to Obama. I worried about that.

From time to time, I’d be let in on what to do, where to direct my efforts.

“Have you been watching the polls?” A friend would ask, as we drove around hunting for Petrol to purchase.”Obama’s up by 3 per cent.”

I would smile and nod with pleasure.

Or:

“I hope Obama’s stand on foreign policy goes over well with the ‘Undecideds’. This whole election is based on tipping that small population” A colleague would inform me as we waited patiently for the power to come back on.

I would shake my head at the unfairness of it all. Don’t worry. Barrack, I’d mutter through clenched teeth, we’ll get you through this.

Or:

“Obama’s got another state locked down,” A friend would say, after church service.

“Really?” I’d ask.

“Not leaving the White House soon. No sir, we aren’t.” He’d say magnificently before excusing himself. Commercial bikes had been banned, and if he wanted to get home before dark, he had to start the walk home early.

Much of the time, I relied heavily on my neighbor. I’d go over there each evening to get my shears and we’d spend the time watching CNN and going over reports and statistics.

“You have to not let the little details bother you.” He said in answer to my question. “Do what you can. Place #TeamObama at the end of your tweets. Use his photos as your avatars and display pictures. Find something funny to say that makes him look good.”

………………………………………………….

And then, early this morning, I received the news: Obama won! Obama won! I couldn’t believe it!

Everyone’s ecstatic. We’ve had quite the field day changing our BBM statuses and display pictures to reflect the hard earned victory we’d won. I went online and let everyone know how happy I was this had happened. I slapped my neighbor across the back and thought briefly about my shears.

I know some people will ask: “why did you do this? Why did you vote for the man?”

I am here to answer that question.

I can truthfully say that it has something to do with the Undecided’s and the minority and the majority and the polls.

And also with how easy it was to vote. All I had to do was put up a display picture now and then, place #TeamObama at the end of my tweets, and nod sagely while others discussed the politics and stuff.

And the other question: “How did I vote for him?”

Well…

Truth is…

I don’t know.

But I didn’t let a little detail like that stop me.

http://miabaga.com/p/why-i-voted-for-obama/

1 Like

Re: Why I Voted For Obama- MI Abaga by Nobody: 9:20pm On Nov 07, 2012
OK
Re: Why I Voted For Obama- MI Abaga by SisiKill1: 9:32pm On Nov 07, 2012
LMFAO!!!

He shouldn't fret, he is not the only one who "voted" for Obama without knowing...why.

Kenyans did too

So did the Filipinos

And the Japanese in Nagasaki

Indians in New Delhi

He is in Good Company!! cheesy cheesy
Re: Why I Voted For Obama- MI Abaga by Caseless: 9:43pm On Nov 07, 2012
Hmmm...i think we all supported him in that in that sense(via tweeter,FB, TV). Anyway, MI nice one. Thesame kind of supports he got from his african brothers and nigerians in 2008, but on his first official visit to africa as the POTUS he omitted nigeria. I just can't stop supporting him, but that guy dosn't hold anything for africa...i think we all saw that on his foreign policy. I pray my nigeria get better so i can stop looking up to any country for favour or using any country as a model. If no b poor leadership for nigeria, wetin wan make me de follow US election from 08 and same was d case dis year....i no fit sleep...always tuned to MSNBC.
Re: Why I Voted For Obama- MI Abaga by PapaBrowne(m): 9:52pm On Nov 07, 2012
Interesting piece!! And the pictures.
We all voted Obama.We all don't know why and how.

The next American Elections should be global naaah. Lets all just participate and know we are not just watching and celebrating for nothing. They should just build a website and put "Obama" and "Romnney's" pictures on it. Then we click the like button on the one we prefer.Simple.
Re: Why I Voted For Obama- MI Abaga by Nobody: 10:17pm On Nov 07, 2012
Nice one 4rm M.I. Luv it!
Re: Why I Voted For Obama- MI Abaga by Redmosquito(m): 11:10pm On Nov 07, 2012
Minion: Ur Malevolence! How did you vote for Obama?
Hades:By not killin him!
Minion:Hmmm! My King! But doesnt that mean you voted for Romney too?

4 Likes

Re: Why I Voted For Obama- MI Abaga by redcliff: 11:41am On Nov 08, 2012
Re: Why I Voted For Obama- MI Abaga by redcliff: 11:41am On Nov 08, 2012
berem: OK
please you did not have to comment if you don't have words to say. maybe you were hoping it would get to front page and you'l be the "first to comment"

(1) (Reply)

Demdem: Nigeria Is In A Civil War.. And Boko Haram Is A Rebellion Army / APC Manifesto Is True Federalism / Tech Hub Working On 'Nigeria's Next Big Idea'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.