Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,907 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:59 PM

Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator - Science/Technology (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator (45732 Views)

Scientist Invent Death Test That Tell Us How Long We Will Live / Urine-powered Generator Invented By Nigerians Girls / Harvard Students Invent Electricity Generating Football (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Okijajuju1(m): 3:44pm On Nov 08, 2012
vanstanzy:

OK, THEIR INVENTION HAS TO BE CHALLENGED TO BRING OUT THE BEST IN IT.
CALLING ME A WELDER, I LAUGH HYSTERICALLY grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin. THIS TACTICS OF URS IS SOOO STALE.

Sorry about the welder bit.. But this shiit right here is an insult to the mentality of Nigerians.. Tomorrow, some ignorant nigga would say that 4 Yoruba girls invented Urine powered generator but the government killed their dream.. Same way some Biafran apologists keep claiming Biafra built war planes during the war and invented Katusha missiles..

Call a f`ucking spade a spade.. This shiit is a Niational lie.. If Buhari were in power, he would have shot them dead at Bar beach.. angry
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Nobody: 3:45pm On Nov 08, 2012
great invention
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Afam4eva(m): 3:46pm On Nov 08, 2012
Okija_juju:
If Buhari were in power, he would have shot them dead at Bar beach.. angry [/b]
This got me rotflmao grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by thelastPope(m): 3:47pm On Nov 08, 2012
ehie: great invention

It is a hoax
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by laykhorn(m): 3:48pm On Nov 08, 2012
a1solution: ITS A GOOD INVENTION BUT IT CAME LATE AS NIGERIANS WOULD BEGIN TO ENJOY UNINTERRUPTED POWER SUPPLY AS FROM THE FIRST QUARTER OF YEAR 2013. THEY SHOULD HURRY UP TO SELL THE FEW THEY CAN SELL WITHIN THE REMAINING TWO MONTHS TO 24/7 ELECTRICITY IN NIGERIA
this is the dumbest post I ever read on this page.... fo0l hoping for some miracle
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Nobody: 3:49pm On Nov 08, 2012
thelastPope:

It is a hoax
well the whole world is talking about them now
https://www.google.com.ng/search?q=Urine+powered+generator&oq=Urine+powered+generator&sugexp=chrome,

viral as we speak
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by maskid(m): 3:49pm On Nov 08, 2012
gabriel212:
They are Nigerians dont tribalized it please.

bros.. dnt u know dat YORUBAS are the most heinous/diehard tribalists ever created??

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Urine: 3:49pm On Nov 08, 2012
I own the right to the brand name "Urine". I need to call my lawyers!
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Nobody: 3:50pm On Nov 08, 2012
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by IfyAwazie(f): 3:50pm On Nov 08, 2012
topsyking: RUBBISH invention....
Empty barrel.
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Nobody: 3:51pm On Nov 08, 2012
i dont think its a hoax
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by vanstanzy(m): 3:51pm On Nov 08, 2012
thelastPope:

Stop repeating it! They didn't invent anything! Do you know what an invention is? They did a science experiment. Stop repeating the lie!

PLZ GIVE THESE GIRLS A BREAK.
WHEN I SEE SOMETHING GOOD I'LL SAY IT. THESE GIRLS HAVE DONE WELL USING THEIR INGENUITY.
YES ITS A SCIENCE EXPERIMENT THAT CAN LEAD TO AN ALL IMPORTANT INVENTION 2MORROW. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Okijajuju1(m): 3:52pm On Nov 08, 2012
vanstanzy:

WHEN I SEE SOMETHING GOOD I'LL SAY IT. THESE GIRLS HAVE DONE WELL USING THEIR INGENUITY.
YES ITS A SCIENCE EXPERIMENT THAT CAN LEAD TO AN ALL IMPORTANT INVENTION 2MORROW. cheesy cheesy cheesy

Did you say the same thing about Doctor Abalaka who invented the cure for aids?! angry
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by TableLeg(m): 3:52pm On Nov 08, 2012
Ariyke: Wonderful Urine
Eeeediot!

Topic ..
Well done girls ...
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by thelastPope(m): 3:53pm On Nov 08, 2012
ehie: well the whole world is talking about them now
https://www.google.com.ng/search?q=Urine+powered+generator&oq=Urine+powered+generator&sugexp=chrome,mod=9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=Urine+powered+generator+possible&oq=Urine+powered+generator+possible&gs_l=serp.3...61778.64179.0.64424.9.9.0.0.0.0.439.2928.2-3j4j2.9.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.3jeOts2K344&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=4588939659c90c&bpcl=37643589&biw=1014&bih=572
viral as we speak

Very sad! One more bad publicity for our image. We just keep shooting ourselves in the foot and turning ourselves into a laughing stock and a scam nation. That principal is an eediot!
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by armadeo(m): 3:55pm On Nov 08, 2012
Okija juju all the screws in ur head are in the correct place
I wonder Y anyone would believe this stuff. Bravo on the attempt to get alternate source of fuel but I still see a gen in that pic so nothing was manufactured just alteration.
Okija loved the analysis am not an engineer but I could follow ur train of thought.

Well good attempt by the girls let's all encourage them who knows what they'll come up with next.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Okijajuju1(m): 3:58pm On Nov 08, 2012
armadeo: Okija juju all the screws in ur head are in the correct place
I wonder Y anyone would believe this stuff. Bravo on the attempt to get alternate source of fuel but I still see a gen in that pic so nothing was manufactured just alteration.
Okija loved the analysis am not an engineer but I could follow ur train of thought.

Well good attempt by the girls let's all encourage them who knows what they'll come up with next.

Not my thoughts o!! Should have referenced the author.. But as a very good badt Igbo boy, I will take the credit.. #Thanks.. grin
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Pennywise(m): 3:58pm On Nov 08, 2012
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by IfyAwazie(f): 3:58pm On Nov 08, 2012
a1solution: ITS A GOOD INVENTION BUT IT CAME LATE AS NIGERIANS WOULD BEGIN TO ENJOY UNINTERRUPTED POWER SUPPLY AS FROM THE FIRST QUARTER OF YEAR 2013. THEY SHOULD HURRY UP TO SELL THE FEW THEY CAN SELL WITHIN THE REMAINING TWO MONTHS TO 24/7 ELECTRICITY IN NIGERIA
Wao, i pray its true.
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Nobody: 3:59pm On Nov 08, 2012
For making an attempt at something, they've tried, but they have a long way to go and should not spoil it with their bogus claims.
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Okijajuju1(m): 3:59pm On Nov 08, 2012
Pennywise: Hmmnn. My urine go quench that generator (unless if not be yoruba girl make am).

HAHAHAHAAAAAAA

To protect the generator from your urine...
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by thelastPope(m): 3:59pm On Nov 08, 2012
vanstanzy:

Its people like you that are the problem of this country. Someone did a science experiment that anyone can copy from the internet and says he has invented something and you say we should applaud them? Then why do you crtiticize politicians who lie? Distasteful!
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Nobody: 4:00pm On Nov 08, 2012
Is it a hoax when even BBC carries it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20167122

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Okijajuju1(m): 4:02pm On Nov 08, 2012
Na so Covenant university say them don invent battery powered motor car.. angry

[img]http://3.bp..com/-Negwa14ZLq4/T0O1yRmm3sI/AAAAAAAAGZY/rOwmR6GZV8o/s400/1.jpg[/img]

Imagine this.. angry

whoever it is that claims responsibility for this so-called invention should be shot!! angry

I'm sick of this shiit!! As if Nigeria hasnt suffered enough.. The whole world is laughing at us online..

These Yoruba girls should be charged with high treason and falling of National hand, charged and killed.. Including the person that invented that covenant university car.. angry

Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Nobody: 4:03pm On Nov 08, 2012
thelastPope:

Its people like you that are the problem of this country. Someone did a science experiment that anyone can copy from the internet and says he has invented something and you say we should applaud them? Then why do you crtiticize politicians who lie? Distasteful!
why are u so certain that it is not true
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20167122 check it out on BBC,the girls should be encouraged mangine where this could lead,no more expensive oil drilling .
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Nobody: 4:05pm On Nov 08, 2012
Africa gathers in Lagos for Maker Faire
By Jane Wakefield
Technology reporter
A generator that runs on urine,designed by three 14-year-old school girls, was on show

The Maker movement - which encompasses traditional handicrafts through to cutting-edge robotics, is growing exponentially around the world with spin-off Maker Faires popping up all over the globe.

Maker Faire Africa is now independent and this year's promises to be the biggest and best yet.

"Our inventions have largely stayed hidden in the 'punk of the bush' and the outer reaches of the informal sector until now," reads the introduction on its website.

The falling price and availability of off-the-shelf electronics have put low-cost tech innovations centre stage at such events but it is in Africa where many people see home-made inventions having a real impact on people's lives.

"While western fairs are creative they are aimed at hobbyists, whereas in Africa it is more about practical need," said Erik Hersman, the man behind the global phenomenon of crowdsourcing crisis-mapping platform Ushahidi. "The future of Africa is in innovative engineering."

He is also one of the founders and organisers of the Maker Faire Africa, describing it affectionately as "loosely controlled chaos".

He talked the BBC through some of his favourite things on show in Lagos.

any of Africa's greatest innovators are those who see a need for a particular machine and set about making one, often ploughing years of their lives into perfecting them.

Pairing engineering know-how with the needs of farming is a powerful combination in Africa and no-one exemplifies this better than 65-year-old engineer Sulaiman Famro who went to the US to complete his graduate education in the 1970s and then returned to Nigeria.

There he has created the Farmking - basically a portable processing plant for root crops and grains.

He spent his own money and time on perfecting it and the first prototype was completed three years ago.

It has a diesel-powered engine that allows for remote processing, with power connections for lighting so that it can work all night, if needed.

It can process core crops such as cassava, soya beans, maize, sweet potatoes, yam and many other roots and grains. One of the more interesting uses for it is the capture of starch. The traditional method of processing cassava allows starch to seep into the ground, which is, says Mr Famro, very wasteful.

He claims he can save the country $1bn a year, just in savings on starch importation and is currently lobbying governors of different Nigerian states to get the Farmking into their areas.

15-year-old Odo Gerald has been wowing audiences at this year's fair. His biggest fans are small boys, fascinated by the moving toys he has made entirely out of scrap materials.

Odo has made four toys over the last four months, including a dump truck, excavator and a helicopter. Using painted plywood, syringes, wire, water and small tubes along with a motorcycle battery to run it all, the miniature machinery packs some cunning hydraulic action.

The toys started off as a school project but quickly outgrew what his teachers expected. His next big project is to make a small helicopter that he can get off the ground.

This year the fair is specifically reaching out to the youth audience with two tents on site aimed at giving children the chance to play and create. On hand is robotic Lego and electronic kits such as Littlebits, a kit of circuits that snap together with magnets and allow users to incorporate light, sound and movement.

For older children there are Arduino microprocessors and a 3D printer to

uch of the Maker Faire Africa is about mashing up things that already exist to create something new, better and more usable.

Ibrahim Adekunle and Shola Omoniyi have been attracting a crowd with their new take on a stretch limo.

The Tricycle Limo can hold up to 12 people, plus driver while a smaller Tricycle Jeep can hold five people, plus driver. Both vehicles cost between 100,000-200,000 naira ($600-$1,200; £375-£750) to rent for the day, and are often on call for weddings, carnivals and other events.

The Tricycle Limo cost about 1.5m naira ($9,500; £5,900) to make, and about two weeks to put together. As it is long - about 5m (16ft) - the chassis is strengthened using a long piece of pipe.

The jeep version uses a tuk-tuk chassis (a motorised rickshaw) and a two-cylinder engine from a vehicle. The front grill can hold 100kg (220lb) of weight, meaning it can be used for carrying bags of rice, jerry cans of water, or for mounting speakers on at events.

The invention is simple but for Mr Hersman, it represents how youngsters can use their own making skills to become entrepreneurs.

"For a lot of young men it is hard to find a job and these two are doing this both for fun and to make it into a business," he said.

RECYCLING BIKE

The scheme benefits the founders and those who give up their rubbish
Modified bicycles have been making the rounds of Lagos cleaning up and recycling five tonnes of rubbish since August.

Wecyclers.com is the brainchild of Billikiss Abiola, from Nigeria and Jonathan Kola, from Kenya who together came up with the simple plan to get people in Lagos to recycle aluminium and plastic.

The bicycles are welded to a trailer, making a tricycle that can carry large bags of sorted waste. Each bike costs approximately $500 (£300) to build, though those prices will come down as they start making more.

The project has gained the attention of the Lagos Waste Management Authority.

While the basic idea is low-cost, behind it lies in a database which records all the waste people have recycled and scores them based on the amount and type of recycled stuff.

Those involved in the scheme are sent a text to let them know how they are doing and every three months there is an event where people can redeem their points for real goods. The people with the most points also get prizes.

The two founders have also tied up with large firms, such as Coca-Cola, which sponsors the prizes and pays for the costs of the event, giving out items like raincoats, backpacks, pens, notebooks and water bottles.
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by thelastPope(m): 4:06pm On Nov 08, 2012
ehie: i dont think its a hoax

Did you not see the generator they bought in the picture? Which one did they invent again? They tried to power it with hydrogen from urine which is a good initiative but they didn't invent a generator. Using Hydrogen to power generators already exist but is not commercially viable.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Balkan(m): 4:09pm On Nov 08, 2012
Yorobbers and their scam. Urine from yorrober girls to power generator? This people called yorrobers are just ridicling Nigerians. You want to start selling urine now abi? Laugh wan kill meoo
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Tstark(m): 4:09pm On Nov 08, 2012
Yoruba girls aren't that smart [not at that age anyway]. Na to find husband and get pregnant be their number one priority, it's instilled in their mindset from a very young age.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by kruku: 4:09pm On Nov 08, 2012
Cleanman: Abeg help me ask the nicompoop
That is no invention please!The South Koreans are on top of this -using Hydrogen from water as fuel! the preoblem is water is form on combustion which causes rust in engines and exhuast. The world is far far ahead than you think. It is clear your four girls are being used!
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Nobody: 4:10pm On Nov 08, 2012
what is your own with the denial,the girls went to a fair called the makers faire and they showed their invention along with othyer invention,are you too lazy to click the BBC link or is THE BBC LINK A HOAX TOO.WHY ARE U SO ADAMANT THAT THE PEOPLE COULD NOT HAVE MADE THAT INVENTION?ARE YOU A SCIENTIST?
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by IfyAwazie(f): 4:10pm On Nov 08, 2012
menix:
Tot I was. D only 1 dat noticed dis. As I tuck in my rod back d machine container holla "Thank you for banking.wiv us"
U guys r 2 funny

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) / What's This Light Travelling In The Sky? (photo) / Residents Gather As Elephants Are Spotted In Kebbi. See What Happened. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.