Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,419 members, 7,815,947 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:51 PM

Are You Happy With Your Name? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Are You Happy With Your Name? (10591 Views)

My In - Laws Are Not Happy With Me. / I'm Not Happy With My Hubby / Can You Really Be Happy With The Same Person forever? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by Timijo(m): 5:20pm On Nov 09, 2012
Siena:

Omo Urhobo? wink
My missing friend, hw u dey.
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by doublecross(m): 5:23pm On Nov 09, 2012
my names - Chinedu, Stanley, Aka. I sincerely think it's okay to have an English name as a middle name. The native should come first - followed by the English and then the sur-name.
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by BarryX(m): 5:25pm On Nov 09, 2012
dvdon: I love mine. But serzly some names sound like drum repercussion like
Ndubuoganaya
Odum
Ndubisi
Some even sounds wacked that it can degrade your personality e.g
Okorowanta
Akpors
Rukewe
Akpan
Obiangeri
So my advise to pple bearing these names is to use your englsh name more or go for catholic Confirmation.

I have to quote ur comment for the particular reasons that some of the names you highlighted are NOT OR NEVER bad. For example.. ''rukevwe'' or more appropriately '' Oghenerukevwe'' means God has done it for me which is actually a way of thanking God for his faithfulness, ''Akpors'' which has been wrongly bastardized for comic reasons means 'world' and from the little cultural exposure i have about my people.. Akpo (right spelling) is a prefix of a larger meaning attributed to it (world). So get your facts right before demeaning names and people's culture in the process.

1 Like

Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by Timijo(m): 5:26pm On Nov 09, 2012
Siena:

Omo Urhobo? wink
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by chucky234(m): 5:27pm On Nov 09, 2012
realsammie: i prefer my native name 'OLUWASEYI' to my english name SAMSON.I've been thinking lately on how to change it.
Samson ke,sha run for Delila ooo
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by Nobody: 5:35pm On Nov 09, 2012
grin
Ucheosefoh: I luv my native name cus both boys and gals bear it and also de sexyness of de name, the name is UCHE but gals prefer 2 add sexy 2 de name by calling me UC or my UC

Fool! Must you exhibit ur igbotic foolishness on a public forum like this? Who told you u are UC?
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by hollypagan: 5:35pm On Nov 09, 2012
My name na thomas how can i like it
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by hollypagan: 5:37pm On Nov 09, 2012
bbpreye.:
grin

Fool! Must you exhibit ur igbotic foolishness on a public forum like this? Who told you u are UC?
u silly ghana man must u comment this is nigerian forum
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by chucky234(m): 5:41pm On Nov 09, 2012
I extra love my native name which is Chukwuyenum,funny enough no one knows me by my native name and my parents prefers Chuck.
More confusion as my English names are Chuck and Collins, people mistake Chuck for Chuks,I have tried to differentiate the two to people to no avail,I even went as far as telling them that my Chuck is the same as Chuck Norris.
Can you imagine comparing myself to that hairy ugly Chuck Norris.
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by ghettodreamz(m): 5:42pm On Nov 09, 2012
I'm so delighted with it. Let's not forget that name is just an identity. However what matter most is I'm highly delighted for being who I am, knowing fully well that I'm a divine gift from the above, specially created for divine purpose and assignments here on earth and Heaven thereafter and I shall not die unfulfilled or before my time, by His grace, amen..
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by jonath0012(m): 5:44pm On Nov 09, 2012
I really love my name. I'm OLUWAGBENGA; meaning LORD take me high, and true to that name I'm a very tall person and I always come out almost first/ best in everything i do. Now tell me why I should not be happy with my name?
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by ghettodreamz(m): 5:44pm On Nov 09, 2012
chucky234: I extra love my native name which is Chukwuyenum,funny enough no one knows me by my native name and my parents prefers Chuck.
More confusion as my English names are Chuck and Collins, people mistake Chuck for Chuks,I have tried to differentiate the two to people to no avail,I even went as far as telling them that my Chuck is the same as Chuck Norris.
Can you imagine comparing myself to that hairy ugly Chuck Norris.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by megareal: 5:45pm On Nov 09, 2012
etenyong: I don't hav english name & very much proud of my native name UBONGABASI meaning God's glory. Also my wife & chidren all bears native calabar names. Proudly naija.

Hmmm, eyen eka aba die? Efik or Ibibio?
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by ghettodreamz(m): 5:45pm On Nov 09, 2012
jonath0012: I really love my name. I'm OLUWAGBENGA; meaning LORD take me high, and true to that name I'm a very tall person and I always come out almost first/ best in everything i do. Now tell me why I should not be happy with my name?

Oya go rent drummers from National Art n Culture parade the whole street de dance, lol... grin grin grin grin
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by Suigenerisshegs(m): 5:47pm On Nov 09, 2012
I dn't like my surname(JOLAOSHO) neither do I like my english name(SAMSON),d former is revolting while the latter is unscrupulous,i'm fucking not promiscuous....I prefer my native name(Segun) and my cute sobriquet(suigenerisshegs)
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by Nobody: 5:51pm On Nov 09, 2012
bbpreye.:

So ur future name will be Chindi Akpan? Lwkmdie!!!
Whareva
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by nneh1(f): 5:59pm On Nov 09, 2012
My name is nneh and i have no english name and i love my native name so much.
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by youngboss1(m): 6:09pm On Nov 09, 2012
Always love my name regardless of who ask me
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by Nobody: 6:09pm On Nov 09, 2012
No. I hate my native name. A senseless name with god in it. I don't even care to know what it means and when people ask I tell them that
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by jonath0012(m): 6:13pm On Nov 09, 2012
ghettodreamz:

Oya go rent drummers from National Art n Culture parade the whole street de dance, lol... grin grin grin grin
lol.....kay, i don get the drums ready, but na u go dey do the drumming o while i dey dance...
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by bola4dprec(m): 6:13pm On Nov 09, 2012
Meklex: I found out that most people prefer their English name to their native names. A friend of mine have been hiding his native name for all the while that I've known him, he prefers to be called Martins instead of Chukwuezugo. And again people has started adding swags in their name, I thought it used to be martin and not martins, fidelia not fidel, Elizabeth and not lizzy or liz, micheal not mikel, etc. I know I love my native name but most people don't, but some names are funny though, like OLANIYI(yoruba) in igbo it means Spoilt person, etc.
Are you happy with the name your parents recognized you with the moment they set their eyes on you?.
but some names
are funny though, like EYIWERE(igbo)
in yoruba it means lunatic person, etc.
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by begwong: 6:14pm On Nov 09, 2012
nneh1: My name is nneh and i have no english name and i love my native name so much.
hi my dear nneh.
dis is yr twin brother by d name-Nnah.
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by jimino(m): 6:25pm On Nov 09, 2012
i prefer my native name. I dnt even no d meaning of my american name. Pls if anybdy nos d meaning of JIMMY let me knw.
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by youngdady: 6:39pm On Nov 09, 2012
@ topic: Yes oooh! It means generational wealth, my dad's doing good even after retirement, I'm doing better than he ever did, by God's grace my son will eclipse both of us.

Horayce: No. I hate my native name. A senseless name with god in it. I don't even care to know what it means and when people ask I tell them that

Bros, change it if you don't feel comffy with it. Don't know what your religious inclination is but some would tell you it connotes. . . !%!@%#$@$@^$
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by bola4dprec(m): 6:40pm On Nov 09, 2012
jimino: i prefer my native name. I dnt even no d meaning of my american name. Pls if anybdy nos d meaning of JIMMY let me knw.
Jimmy is simply means replace, in nutshell to take the place of (another), as through force
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by Timijo(m): 6:45pm On Nov 09, 2012
Can you pronunce this name with 26 letters? If you think u can, oya:
Chikamanigarinashanajidadi
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by Angel778(f): 6:46pm On Nov 09, 2012
holly-pagan:
My name na thomas how can i like it
bhahahahahahahahahahahahaha... Sorry ooo bros
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by Angel778(f): 6:53pm On Nov 09, 2012
Whenever i rememberd d story they told me of what hapnd during my birth that makes my parent named me 'OLUWATOMISIN'. I Cannt but give thanks to God always, 4 he stil always prove to me that truly 'God is enuf 4 me to serve'
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by savanto: 6:59pm On Nov 09, 2012
nne3870: @op i remember an uncle of mine, he prefers joseph to his native name 'uwadiegwu' (strange world), those days if u want to get him angry just call hm by his native name. Bt me am so loving my name nne....

Now, i know your name...Nneka...i have been searching!!
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by Nobody: 7:10pm On Nov 09, 2012
Timijo: My missing friend, hw u dey.

Pastor! never missing, lolz. Always floating around, you know how it is. cool
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by ykkool: 7:13pm On Nov 09, 2012
cheesy
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by cuteonyii(m): 7:18pm On Nov 09, 2012
dvdon: I love mine. But serzly some names sound like drum repercussion like
Ndubuoganaya
Odum
Ndubisi
Some even sounds wacked that it can degrade your personality e.g
Okorowanta
Akpors
Rukewe
Akpan
Obiangeri
So my advise to pple bearing these names is to use your englsh name more or go for catholic Confirmation.
i don't agree with you. none of those names is bad at all. what i think is that no body wants to answer a name of a wicked person, mad person, evil person etc.eg. cain, but If ndubisi is a name of a gorvernor, or obiageli is the name of obamas wife. tell me who wont like to bear that name. But to me I think..name is what you make out of it and not what people think about it..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Finding It Difficult Managing N80k Salary In Lagos With Family.what Shall I Do? / My Side Of The Story - Siena’s Ex-wife / Please Help Me, What Do I Do To An Ungrateful Wife?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.