Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,315 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:44 AM

Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, (15430 Views)

FG Asks States To Ban Okada Operations / Fashola Blames Okada For Damoche’s Murder / Lagos To Ban Okada, Fashola’s Committee Endorses Plan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by BlackPikiN(m): 11:14pm On Nov 10, 2012
[size=15pt]A few states have banned okada. Do you have any plans to do same?

I think it’s, for me, a class issue and I belong to the working class, so I cannot ban Okada. First, I believe that okada is a response to certain deficit in our intra-urban transportation system. From the 60s to the 70s to the 80s, we never had okada. If you ask a lady to take a ride on a motorbike it was like a taboo. Now it has became fashionable to have a woman and two children on top of a bike. It is not a culture choice. It is as a result of deficit in our intra-city transportation system.[/size]

If I must get rid of them, I should provide an alternative first. For me, the way to deal with it is to deal with the supply side. By this I mean, provide good city transportation, then people would have to choose among a taxi that is available, a comfortable and clean bus that is available, and an Okada. People would now choose what will offer them more comfort. So, it is the result of certain weaknesses in our transportation system, and I think it can only be solved by dealing with those weaknesses. I cannot use state power to prohibit Okada. I am not sure of the legal status of doing that.

Number two, in Edo State, we probably have up to three to four thousand people who are riding bikes on commercial basis. If I must get rid of them, I must provide 4,000 jobs for those people. Therefore in Edo State, we will not ban Okada.

People have argued that they use motorbikes to commit crime, like armed robbery and kidnapping. Yes, there is evidence that people have used motobikes for kidnapping, armed robbery, and even assassination, but is it not also true that others have used four-wheel drive vehicles and SUVs to kidnap and rob? There is no evidence that this is a function of the number of four-wheel drive or SUV vehicles. People have used luxury cars, motorbikes, to commit crime. Some have committed crimes even walking on bare foot. Again, I do not believe that if you abolish Okada, crime will disappear. I think the issues are far more complicated.

I see it as a class issue. If you don't have the experience, you wouldn't understand what I am talking about. . . . I cannot blame the victims of a system. These guys are victims. On a good day if the world was perfect, nobody will opt for a motorbike. Go to the hospitals, a lot of our bike people are there, both the bike riders and some of their passengers. Too bad.

http://dailypost.com.ng/2012/11/10/i-belong-working-class-i-ban-okada-governor-oshiomhole/

8 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by Callotti: 11:25pm On Nov 10, 2012
God bless you sir! cool
For this. . .you have earned my respect for ever! kiss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L95YLnh7cY

3 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by Nobody: 11:33pm On Nov 10, 2012
No problem sir. I hope the hospitals are well-equipped to handle the influx of okada accident victims, and the policemen to deal with okada-facilitated robberies.

11 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by seanet01: 11:33pm On Nov 10, 2012
Op, did you post this when your home state banned okada? Hypocrite!
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by omiobo: 7:39am On Nov 11, 2012
Okada riders una hear am,so make una park una okadas go to edo state.

2 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by Nobody: 7:43am On Nov 11, 2012
Edo State..............A welcome abode for displaced Okada riders in other parts of Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by ifyalways(f): 9:55am On Nov 11, 2012
I don't care about his statement but when it comes to road network and infrastructure, Oshi baba beats Fashola and all "ban okada" governors.

At the end of the day, all man is doing what he deems best for his state but in due time, the end would justify the just. cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by otokx(m): 10:09am On Nov 11, 2012
Let us hope that in time to come he would not eat his words.

3 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by ifyalways(f): 10:30am On Nov 11, 2012
otokx: Let us hope that in time to come he would not eat his words.
lol but very true oh.

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by gbadexy(m): 10:52am On Nov 11, 2012
That was what fashola said when asked then.
He said it was due to demand that if there is no demand it would phase out.
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by Afam4eva(m): 11:07am On Nov 11, 2012
Edo state is trying to attract okada investors especially investors from Lagos who have been displaced. I see the population of okadas rising.

2 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by geeez: 11:30am On Nov 11, 2012
afam4eva: Edo state is trying to attract okada investors especially investors from Lagos who have been displaced. I see the population of okadas rising.

Lol!
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by Okijajuju1(m): 11:31am On Nov 11, 2012
Oshiomole go soon join... ......
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by iamswizz(m): 11:36am On Nov 11, 2012
HNosegbe: No problem sir. I hope the hospitals are well-equipped to handle the influx of okada accident victims, and the policemen to deal with okada-facilitated robberies.
thats right.. Bcaus 90% of robbery activities modus operandi are carried out with okadas.. Right?

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by boladez(m): 11:36am On Nov 11, 2012
So be it, he has his reasons to continue with Okada's as the legacy for his people and his children........Thank God i don't live in that state
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by acidtalk: 11:38am On Nov 11, 2012
SHUT UP!!!
Its because you haven't created good motorable roads in Edo state. Na ontop hill, ditch and dead zones people go drive pass? Of course we all know only bikes can pass through those death traps.

People don't be deceived. There is no one out of the entire 36 state governors that has the people at heart (maybe ONLY governor of Imo state)
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by Nobody: 11:39am On Nov 11, 2012
banning Okada can only be good for the state. People should learn to do the right thing. Fashola is a genius.

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by omicron(m): 11:43am On Nov 11, 2012
ifyalways: I don't care about his statement but when it comes to road network and infrastructure, Oshi baba beats Fashola and all "ban okada" governors.

At the end of the day, all man is doing what he deems best for his state but in due time, the end would justify the just. cheesy
I hope you have not hastily generalised. I have been in Benin for several months now, and though I can't say the roads are particularly bad (except the Hell of a road in Egor), but it yet does not provide me with the ease and comfort and the organisation I feel when I move along and across the networks of roads in Enugu city. I cannot say much about Lag cos I'm not in a position to do that, being that I know little about the roads especially during this Fashola era.

2 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by pato405(m): 11:45am On Nov 11, 2012
ifyalways: I don't care about his statement but when it comes to road network and infrastructure, Oshi baba beats Fashola and all "ban okada" governors.

how? where are the road networks and infrastructures you talk about in Edo? angry Ring road? undecided to compare Benin & Lagos is a big joke! Edo is no where near Lagos in all ramifications. I doubt if you'v been to Edo state.

acidtalk: SHUT UP!!!
Its because you haven't created good motorable roads in Edo state. Na ontop hill, ditch and dead zones people go drive pass? Of course we all know only bikes can pass through those death traps.

People don't be deceived. There is no one ut of the entire 36 state governors that has he people at heart (maybe ONLY governor of Imo state)

they hold all the cards when it comes to deluding Nigerians. Osho, just like the others, know very well that to deceive the masses, al you need to do is sound altruistic as if you have their interest at heart. very gullible masses who have refused to use their noggin in logical and rational thinking. Edo has got no roads and gully erosion isn't making matters any easy for them. apparently, only bikes can possibly cope. Edo hasnt got road networks. talk of states with good road network not ridden by pot-holes, then go to Sokoto.
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by Nobody: 11:45am On Nov 11, 2012
He has no choice!
Na slum full em state!
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by Ejine(m): 11:45am On Nov 11, 2012
seanet01: Op, did you post this when your home state banned okada? Hypocrite!

No, because Oshiomhole hadn't granted the interview as at the time BlackPikiN's homestate banned the okada.
A few seconds of introspection would've made that clear. You mono-digit-IQ-having dunce!

4 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by ayolatun(m): 11:46am On Nov 11, 2012
People don not always want change and that's what the ban of okada will do;bring change. It will bring change in a positive manner although we may experience a liitle bit of difficult in moving around. This change will reduce the number of accidents on our roads and this change will bring about development. In other more developed countries like Japan ,USA etc, Ɣ☺ΰ don't find "okada" as a means of commercial transportation. This is not to say Ɣ☺ΰ can't purchase a motorcycle and use it for private use. I could keep on writing this and d̶̲̥̅̊aτ̲̅ but I believe Governor Fashola has taken the right step.
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by maninmood(m): 11:47am On Nov 11, 2012
Oshiomhole is a staunch hypocrite. A working class never can have billions stashed away somewhere in Foreign banks! Keep deceiving your sheeples; what are they if not brainwashed retards?
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by miqos02(m): 11:48am On Nov 11, 2012
Ok oh we shall see
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by ABUGEORGE(m): 12:09pm On Nov 11, 2012
You people can say wateve u wants to say, dat is freedom of speech, u dont expect all governor to ban okada just becos okada is banned is other state, before u ban okada wat did u create for dem dat is one question u need to ask urself becos dis same okada people voted for u and display their ride for u. Oshio is not perfect but is a reasonable man different from others. Edo people luv d man and he dont want to take food from any one's mouth. Am proud to be edo even if am not in d country but i can hear all his good towards his people. Long live edo

10 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by Chitexs250(m): 12:12pm On Nov 11, 2012
grin

This route is for okadars riders
Only
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by Nobody: 12:12pm On Nov 11, 2012
acidtalk: SHUT UP!!!

People don't be deceived. There is no one out of the entire 36 state governors that has the people at heart (maybe ONLY governor of Imo state)

You should be the one to shut up, because you very obviously know nothing about the things Oshiomole has done in Edo state.
People like you just type critisms about any politician, whether or not you know anything about them.
You just criticize.
Next time, before you open your ignorant trap to say that Oshiomole has not created any good motorable roads in Edo state, ask anyone who actually lives in Edo state how well he is doing with regards to creating motorable roads.

Follow follow.
Mr. Others-are-citisizing-so-I-must-also-critisize.

12 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by ABUGEORGE(m): 12:15pm On Nov 11, 2012
HNosegbe: No problem sir. I hope the hospitals are well-equipped to handle the influx of okada accident victims, and the policemen to deal with okada-facilitated robberies.
i dont blame you, is ur people dat dey will put in dat well equiped hospital, dat man is not has wicked has ur own governor, d man dont want to take food from people's mouth, do u even know d important of okada in d society are major state not suffering for d okada ban now even if it dont affect u but is affecting major people

3 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by udemzyudex(m): 12:16pm On Nov 11, 2012
iamswizz:
thats right.. Bcaus 90% of robbery activities modus operandi are carried out with okadas.. Right?
Hmm...empty brain..

If u like ban okada in all the whole states in 9ja,u will still here cases of robbery..
if u're talking abt the accident part,i would agree with u but baning okada becos of robbery is a big joke..
We lack security in 9ja..
The Government doesn't care abt it citizens.

3 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by udemzyudex(m): 12:19pm On Nov 11, 2012
ifeness: banning Okada can only be good for the state. People should learn to do the right thing. Fashola is a genius.
grin grin
GENIUS MY FOOT
Smh 4 u and fashola..

3 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by playcharles(m): 12:23pm On Nov 11, 2012
Motocycle (okada) can neva and will neva be a form of transportation in any state or country who seeks development... Oshimole pls put on ur thinking cap or start thinkin outside the Box
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by Nobody: 12:24pm On Nov 11, 2012
BlackPikiN:

http://dailypost.com.ng/2012/11/10/i-belong-working-class-i-ban-okada-governor-oshiomhole/

Here's the continuation:

If I must get rid of them, I should provide an alternative first. For me, the way to deal with it is to deal with the supply side. By this I mean, provide good city transportation, then people would have to choose among a taxi that is available, a comfortable and clean bus that is available, and an Okada. People would now choose what will offer them more comfort. So, it is the result of certain weaknesses in our transportation system, and I think it can only be solved by dealing with those weaknesses. I cannot use state power to prohibit Okada. I am not sure of the legal status of doing that.

Number two, in Edo State, we probably have up to three to four thousand people who are riding bikes on commercial basis. If I must get rid of them, I must provide 4,000 jobs for those people. Therefore in Edo State, we will not ban Okada.

People have argued that they use motorbikes to commit crime, like armed robbery and kidnapping. Yes, there is evidence that people have used motobikes for kidnapping, armed robbery, and even assassination, but is it not also true that others have used four-wheel drive vehicles and SUVs to kidnap and rob? There is no evidence that this is a function of the number of four-wheel drive or SUV vehicles. People have used luxury cars, motorbikes, to commit crime. Some have committed crimes even walking on bare foot. Again, I do not believe that if you abolish Okada, crime will disappear. I think the issues are far more complicated.

I see it as a class issue. If you don't have the experience, you wouldn't understand what I am talking about. . . . I cannot blame the victims of a system. These guys are victims. On a good day if the world was perfect, nobody will opt for a motorbike. Go to the hospitals, a lot of our bike people are there, both the bike riders and some of their passengers. Too bad.

Culled from: Saturday Sun, November 10, 2012, p.65.

This is the hallmark of a leader with real wisdom, common sense, sensitivity, empathy, and keen sense of awareness of everyday reality. Much respect to you sir!

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What I Meant When I Said, “I have a Tiger, Lion In Me” - IGP Egbetokun (Video) / FG Moves To Privatise Hospitals / JUST IN: Ezekwesili’s Running Mate, Galadima, Endorses Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.