Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,362 members, 7,819,310 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:10 PM

Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, (15443 Views)

FG Asks States To Ban Okada Operations / Fashola Blames Okada For Damoche’s Murder / Lagos To Ban Okada, Fashola’s Committee Endorses Plan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by whitecat007: 5:33pm On Nov 11, 2012
Great idea!

Good news to all the banned okada drivers in lagos, Edo state welcomes you all.

crisycent: On behalf of the governor and the good people of Edo state, I wish to welcome all displaced okada riders from Lagos state to Edo state. We are looking forward to a stiff competition between you and the locals hence reducing the price of transport drastically. However, remember that okada riders pay taxes in Edo state and we welcome your tax money. Once again, welcome to the ancient city of Benin.
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by esikpogho: 5:33pm On Nov 11, 2012
etsako LGA edo state

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by esikpogho: 5:34pm On Nov 11, 2012
akpakpava benin city

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by esikpogho: 5:35pm On Nov 11, 2012
kings square benin city

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by esikpogho: 5:37pm On Nov 11, 2012
edo road

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by ruthosquare: 5:44pm On Nov 11, 2012
360command:

What, am i reading clearly! is it not that city that has totally failed in transforming its ancient city in a well modernized ancient city? is it not that city where the ground is filled with red soils or red sands(dusty particles). Is it not that city where pot holes na b00by traps. Is it not that city, whenever it rains, the water(flood) occupies the ground floor of peoples homes even in the GRA premises.
If I may ask, when was d last time u've been to edo state? U don't say what u are not sure of
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by esikpogho: 6:05pm On Nov 11, 2012
erosion control

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by aribisala0(m): 6:26pm On Nov 11, 2012
To some extent it is a supply issue but Okada are very rarely used for long journeys.Quite often they are used for distances of 1km or less. Very few cities in the world have a transport system that can be available on demand to cover such journeys other than taxis which are not always affordable and so people either walk or cycle. Whether in London,New York or Delhi the trains never cover ALL routes and people have to queue and wait for buses which ,too do not cover all routes especially short distances. Now Okadas want to ply motorways carrying "passengers" in Lagos that is not acceptable. Lagos did not ban them outright and people should stop sentiments.

The other issue is safety.Okada riders often have no training,no licence,no insurance and are difficult to track down when things go wrong

Finally it is an Unemployment bubble particularly in Lagos. As with any bubble things seem rosy on the upside. We have an army of unemployed youth in our country and there seems to be no limit to how many okadas our system can absorb but is this really true? The bubble is exactly like this ; Large numbers of people migrating to Lagos with one mission to ride okada . Will there be no consequences for residents and should government respond? Especially when everyone knows many are not even Nigerian
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by Capitano1(m): 6:28pm On Nov 11, 2012
We need 36 more oshiomhole's "35 for the states & 1 for the presidency,in him you find a leader & not a ruler.
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by esikpogho: 6:28pm On Nov 11, 2012
rd

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by esikpogho: 6:32pm On Nov 11, 2012
Auchi

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by esikpogho: 6:33pm On Nov 11, 2012
AUCHI

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by esikpogho: 6:38pm On Nov 11, 2012
erosion control

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by esikpogho: 6:41pm On Nov 11, 2012
urhonigbe secondary school number one in orhionmwon LGA

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by esikpogho: 6:41pm On Nov 11, 2012
erosion control

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by adconline(m): 7:02pm On Nov 11, 2012
nas 00: From the outset, it had been one of the targets of LASG to transform Lagos into a mega city and there's a time frame to it. In an ideal mega city, motor bike is not an option as a means of public transport. Compare Tokyo, Sidney, New York, Paris, Berlin etc.. Banning okada in some parts of Lag is understandably in line with achieving the laid out goal. Bear in mind the attendant merits of phasing out okada as a means of public transport.

Edo on the other hand must have her own targets too, which I am not really familiar with.

In view of this, I believe each governor is doing what is in their state's best interest, hopefully as a means to a better end. There is always to sides to a story.

We all must remember that for meaningful and lasting change, there must be:
1. An action plan/ blueprint for development
2. Leadership committed to the cause
3. Sacrifice, which in truth is mostly borne by the citizenry (okada riders in this case)
In the near future, Lagos is likely achieve her aims if LASG maintains commitment..
I don't stay in Lagos but I have witnessed, during my visits, the commendable positive changes in traffic law enforcement, environmet and aesthetics. I know there are yet lots of terrible roads needing rehab in lagos. Also, other problems such as power supply still need to be tackled. However, I think Fashola has taken one step in the right direction.

The onus is however on him to employ as much of the okada riders that are employable.

That said, I live in Edo State and the state of roads here is far worse than in Lagos (to say the least). Terrible roads persist even in Benin City.
I realise that a few roads here and there are being rehabilitated though, and maybe because Edo is a larger state, it is more difficult to appreciate work being done when considered as a whole entity.

Most parts of the state do not even have a functional intra-city taxi cab system E.g. Auchi, Igarra, Ibillo, Ekpoma, Sabongida-Ora etc
Only Benin has an intra-city system that conveys passengers from one place to another within it.

So, it is no surprise that Oshiomhole CANNOT ban okada for noow (except maybe on major roads in Benin-City). He was right in that regard.
But for the 'working class' reason he gave, I'd say he was just trying to score cheap political points. Oshiomhole get sweet mouth.

A state that can't deal with waste management and pot holes now wants to be like NYC, Tokyo and Sydney? Come on let's start with little things like cleaning gutters, creating flood and waste channels, fixing roads and pot holes. A state that gets flooded every time 1inch rain drops should not be comparing itself with NYC and co. Anyway in Naija, dreams and fantasies trump realities and hard work
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by stpat1(m): 7:06pm On Nov 11, 2012
Banning Okadas will only worsen the already bad situation in a city like Lagos, there are too many disadvantages that will result from the ban. The already hectic traffic will now be unbearable, there are not even enough buses and cabs to handle to population, there will be economic loss time that will result in the time spent in getting a bus and reaching your destination after escaping the traffic, you'll be throwing thousands back into the unemployment market, you will be bringing untold hardship upon families, there will be increased crime and illegal activities just to survive, the list is endless. All these just because you feel there are cases of accidents and a few who don't want their cars scratched? Its pathetic.

Osho is realistic and sensitive to the masses.
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by esikpogho: 7:30pm On Nov 11, 2012
benin city

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by Paulmystery: 7:38pm On Nov 11, 2012
I love that, you r indeed d peoples governor. I wish ur delta neighbour wil understand life like u do. U'v realy earnd my respect, Adams.
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by Paulmystery: 7:39pm On Nov 11, 2012
Paulmystery: I love that, you r indeed d peoples governor. I wish ur delta neighbour wil understand life like u do. U'v realy earnd my respect, Adams.
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by Sleek2(f): 7:42pm On Nov 11, 2012
i can't believe some of the coments am seeing here..most of you are saying that the motorcycle riders are responsible for about 90% of Nigeria's road acidnt..let me ask,d millions of acidnts on the benin-abuja expres road was it caused by an okada?.
Secondly banning okada wil cause untold hardship to the masses..most people in nigeria are vry poor or live in areas dat are only acesible wit an okada,hw do u expct dose people 2cope?
Am not saying okada ban is bad,am just saying Nigeria is not ready for that step..gud evening

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by ABUGEORGE(m): 8:27pm On Nov 11, 2012
playcharles:
Mallam...okada was neva banned in lagos, they were only restricted in some major roads( out of 9000 roads, they were restricted to move only in 400 roads... Open ur dict and try to undastand the meaning of Banned and restriction
didnt u see dat u're d mallam among all, restricted or ban might not be d same, cant u use ur head dat dey were simply banned must dey write d hand writing on d walk for u before u know dey are banned finally, ok den tell me wen will dey call off d strike, u said restricted and i replace it wit strike. Make una remember say we all have broda who are feedin through dis source to earn a living even our graduates. No work nothin nothin yet u're stoppin people from their daily bread and u call it restricted
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by milkymesh: 8:29pm On Nov 11, 2012
Banning okada has its negative effect on the citizenry generally and not just okada riders only. Think about those who trade on motor bike parts, bike mechanics, and their dependants.
Criminals are are not just lazy people, they are those frustrated by the society. When some members of these groups mentioned above decide to vent their frustration on the society through crime and prostitution, am sure banning okada would be one-off solution.
These ban okada governors should attack the problem not the sympton. Some ridders are graduates. Create job and an enabling environment for people to practice their entrepreneural skills, okada will fade out(that in addition creating a good transport system)
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by ABUGEORGE(m): 8:34pm On Nov 11, 2012
Sleek2: i can't believe some of the coments am seeing here..most of you are saying that the motorcycle riders are responsible for about 90% of Nigeria's road acidnt..let me ask,d millions of acidnts on the benin-abuja expres road was it caused by an okada?.
Secondly banning okada wil cause untold hardship to the masses..most people in nigeria are vry poor or live in areas dat are only acesible wit an okada,hw do u expct dose people 2cope?
Am not saying okada ban is bad,am just saying Nigeria is not ready for that step..gud evening
you and some good people who have human feelings are sayin d truth here, u have today doesn't mean other wont have. D way we nigerians reason at times dat is why most of dis politician are causing pain and hardship to us, wen i reason some comment made by our fellow nigerian i wonder if dey are real nigeria, wat do nigeria have dat dey are banning okada, they are so many people out there dat have no jobs and dey are graduate.

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by abouzaid: 9:11pm On Nov 11, 2012
ABU GEORGE: you and some good people who have human feelings are sayin d truth here, u have today doesn't mean other wont have. D way we nigerians reason at times dat is why most of dis politician are causing pain and hardship to us, wen i reason some comment made by our fellow nigerian i wonder if dey are real nigeria, wat do nigeria have dat dey are banning okada, they are so many people out there dat have no jobs and dey are graduate.
sorry, an average nigerian would rather die than reason, so don't expect all to talk sense as long as they are enjoying their fathers wealth.
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by truetalk4real: 9:21pm On Nov 11, 2012
I pity some people so u people dont no politicians with their rubbish mouths he tell u wat they čα̣̣̥
п̥̥
never do just watch before u start giving someone respect forever because of mouth talk. Come to think of it fashola give them alternative they cant start small biz because of everyday money okada men use to get. What gives people d impression that because they banned okada arm robber will increase. Anyway I personally appreciate gov fashola for so many things he ve done so far I no people will condemn him but as far as I concern he is d best gov lagos has ever had. Am proud of u gov fashola
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by Toks2008(m): 10:28pm On Nov 11, 2012
This is a real leader and not a sadist.

What Fashola would have done is to make some rules with serious penalties for any okada who wants to do business on the so called high ways.We know these laws have been existing but not duly followed just like we have drivers who have been driving against traffic but the new jail sentence penalty has reduced this occurrence so stiffer penalties should be melted out to any okada who flaws these rules.

Rules like::

1, Not carrying under age
2. Not carrying a pregnant woman.
3. Not carrying more than one passenger
4. Must use crash helmet
5. A closing hour.
6, No over-speeding.

See friends, Lagos is a different state all together and you can't just make some crazy laws. All these excuses giving for banning okadas are baseless. We have car accidents killing more people than okada accidents and even plane crash do occur from time to time and this has not necessitated the ban of these media for transportation so in my opinion, Fashola's decision was baseless. cruel. highly insensitive and also very tarnishing for the image of ACN because from what i see, the end has come for ACN in Lagos.
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by aribisala0(m): 10:54pm On Nov 11, 2012
That is the beauty of democracy.There are thousands of us who agree with Fashola. His actions are not baseless at all. We have observed literally every day people disemebarking from vegetable carrying trucks in thousands from Northern Nigeria with no other mission than to ride Okada in Lagos and we are supposed to welcome them no? There are questions about their nationality and threats to security and social harmony and the FG has no response.We are all witnesses to what is happening in Plateau State. This will never be allowed in Lagos under the guise of Okada. The subtext is a wider strategy to take stock of EVERYONE who is in Lagos.Many people will have to RETURN to whence they came.FACT!!

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by Freezle(m): 11:20pm On Nov 11, 2012
All i can say "To each his own".
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by Nobody: 11:38pm On Nov 11, 2012
aribisala0: To some extent it is a supply issue but Okada are very rarely used for long journeys.Quite often they are used for distances of 1km or less. Very few cities in the world have a transport system that can be available on demand to cover such journeys other than taxis which are not always affordable and so people either walk or cycle. Whether in London,New York or Delhi the trains never cover ALL routes and people have to queue and wait for buses which ,too do not cover all routes especially short distances. Now Okadas want to ply motorways carrying "passengers" in Lagos that is not acceptable. Lagos did not ban them outright and people should stop sentiments.

The other issue is safety.Okada riders often have no training,no licence,no insurance and are difficult to track down when things go wrong

Finally it is an Unemployment bubble particularly in Lagos. As with any bubble things seem rosy on the upside. We have an army of unemployed youth in our country and there seems to be no limit to how many okadas our system can absorb but is this really true? The bubble is exactly like this ; Large numbers of people migrating to Lagos with one mission to ride okada . Will there be no consequences for residents and should government respond? Especially when everyone knows many are not even Nigerian

I think your post is genuine- as opposed to the class based, selfish, umempathetic nonsense that the privileged 'diaspora' people or home-based 'car owners' have been spewing here. That's why I would deign to reply with decorum.

Okada are very rarely used for long journeys.Quite often they are used for distances of 1km or less.

Absolutely correct. Nobody is complaining about the ban of Okadas on HIGHWAYS. The problem is that Fashola banned Okadas on many important 'classy ways' in Ikeja, VI, Ikoyi, Surulere, etc. . .which are not long journeys. . .and which inter-link several crucial routes for many working people in Lagos, for which there are simply NO alternatives other than taxis - and we know how ridiculously expensive Lagos taxis are. Taxis are simply no options at all for majority of the masses for daily use. What then are the alternatives? Trekking? On which roads? At whose risk?

Whose fault is that? The Okada riders', their customers' (the masses), or the government that failed to effectively manage the training, licensing and insurance process? Is it wise or reasonable or acceptable to transfer the burden of leadership failure to the masses?

Finally it is an Unemployment bubble particularly in Lagos. As with any bubble things seem rosy on the upside. We have an army of unemployed youth in our country and there seems to be no limit to how many okadas our system can absorb but is this really true? The bubble is exactly like this ; Large numbers of people migrating to Lagos with one mission to ride okada . Will there be no consequences for residents and should government respond? '

Are you serious? You DARE to refer to the tragic level of unemployment in Lagos and Nigeria as a "bubble"? Who are you people? What are you people? What manner of insensitivity and/or ignorance is this? ? ?

Especially when everyone knows many are not even Nigerian
Who is "everyone" and how does everyone know who is a Nigerian or not? How do Okada passengers communicate or negotiate destination fares with the riders if they cannot understand each other? If they can understand each other, then how exactly does "everyone" determine who is a Nigerian or who isn't? ? ?

At the end of the day, after all is said and done, we all know okada is not an 'ideal' mode of transportation. But we also all agree that it fulfills a need and meets crucial demands for millions of ordinary Nigerians. Until you devise superior means of meeting or fulfilling those demands or needs, it is wicked, insensitive, lazy, thoughtless, and downright unacceptable to simply ban the purveyor of such crucial demands and needs without any immediate plans of replacing them with alternatives or palliatives. That is all there is to this okada debate.

2 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by nas00(m): 12:07am On Nov 12, 2012
adconline:

A state that can't deal with waste management and pot holes now wants to be like NYC, Tokyo and Sydney? Come on let's start with little things like cleaning gutters, creating flood and waste channels, fixing roads and pot holes. A state that gets flooded every time 1inch rain drops should not be comparing itself with NYC and co. Anyway in Naija, dreams and fantasies trump realities and hard work

@Waste management: I think that was the reason Lagos State Waste Management Authority (LAWMA) was set up. They are gradually cleaning Lag and clearing notorious garbage dump sites. Haven't you also noticed uniformed sweepers cleaning Lagos roads every morning or so?

You can only improve on sth you've already started. If you don't get started, results won't appear by chance.
Don't be unduly paranoid. Tokyo, Sidney, Paris and other major cities of the world also started from somewhere. It is continuous evaluation (and improvement) of their intervention schemes over time that got them to their present global status.

Again, Lagos has started in the right path. I don't believe it is fantasy. It is very possible to transform lagos and Nigeria alike..But first, we need to get ppl like you to believe, so you won't be a clog in the wheel.
God bless Nigeria.
Re: Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, by Nobody: 3:56am On Nov 12, 2012
Okada nuisance is manageable in Edo. What's the volume of traffic in Benin city in its entirety? There is even a bye pass that cuts off better part of Benin, so vehicular traffic from other states can avoid the city. That helps to regulate traffic as well. So you only need to cushion some of the riders and all ll be fine.

Lagos is a different case. Regulatation is a painful pill that all must swallow. It's for greater benefits of all.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Sign Of Rejection: PDP Mocks Buhari, Tinubu For Booed And Stoned At Ogun APC Ra / 'Nigeria’s economy under siege over bad government choices’ / Dave Umahi: IPOB Can’t Speak For Igbo People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.