Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,295 members, 7,839,455 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:30 PM

Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship (15127 Views)

He Decided To Teach Them A Lesson By Disturbing Them. Check The Pictures / Worship Of Mary And The Use Of Images In The Catholic Church / Islamic Practices In The Bible Unknown To Christians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by abuaoyen(f): 12:40pm On Nov 11, 2012
mumumugu:

hmmm, why did he ask moses to mold a bronze serpent
ur very right. Tel dem
Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by Nobody: 12:41pm On Nov 11, 2012
@ Op. What u have failed to realise is that the human mind is limited to grasp the mysteries of God. Our thoughts of God are essentially anthropomorphic. Even without physical images we imagine God in d form of a person. If u trace Christian history, pictoral images, even sculptures have expressed the mystery of the divine. Look at the sculpures of Michangelo even his paintings in the Cistine Chapel in Rome, u'll marvel at the grandeur of God's presence. Whether protestant or catholic or baptist or whatever, we think in images when it has to do with God as in any other thought. Images or pictures simply points to a reality which even mystics of all religions have attested to. I feel issues bordering on d use of images in places of christian worship belongs to 19th-20th century discourse.
Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by Adeks(m): 12:49pm On Nov 11, 2012
Kslib:
Your mumu na die!! Inshort,i hereby name you MUSA Muhammed(hausa name)...... Musiwa Mukinatu(youruba name).... Mumunus Ibekwe(igbo name).....
Hahahahahahahahaha grin grin grin This ur post is a real hâppy sunday. These people just came back from church and all they could think about was religious arguments!!! I pity Nigerians
Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by ijawkid(m): 12:49pm On Nov 11, 2012
chukwudi44:

Did joshua and the people of isreal commit idolatory when they carved images of the winged creatures and bronze serpent? What the hell do you understand by worship? Please no double standards and hypocrisy here

There chukwu goes again with joshua and the copper serpent....

When you presumpteously make carvings and images for worship you are practicing idolatry......

Who commanded you to make the mouldings of mary??who??.....

And I guess you bowed down to that disgusting image numeours times today all in the name of worshipping God.....

Oh I forgot.....you also counted your prayer beads today......

1 Like

Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by MCDumexx: 1:16pm On Nov 11, 2012
There are 63 verses in the bible that talked about images $ until U̶̲̥̅̊ read them not as a novel or defense mechanism, U̶̲̥̅̊ may continue to wallow in ignorance.

Its important for U̶̲̥̅̊ to know that there are so many knowledge of God that U̶̲̥̅̊ can't wrap within ur small head. And no Christian(if U̶̲̥̅̊ mean Catholics) worship any image(s).

A quick question: Ordinarily as a Christian, Each time U̶̲̥̅̊ see a cross, on street corners, churches, stickers, books or anywhere, ђã†̥ comes to your mind?

Do U̶̲̥̅̊ meditate on how Your sins were nailed to that/a cross hence a call for change of ur evil actions?
If U̶̲̥̅̊ do constantly reminisce on Christ's victory on the cross when gazing @ a picture or a carved wood of a Cross, doesn't that make U̶̲̥̅̊ a worshiper of that cross or Christ?

I guess U̶̲̥̅̊ wouldn't understand as ur hearts and mind still needs development.

Well, its a waste of time trying to figure out ђã†̥ is right or wrong for God. ђã†̥ he has called U̶̲̥̅̊ to do is to worship him with a summarized commandment; Love God with all ur mind, soul and strength; And love ur neighbor as yourself.

Its more stupider for you to see the stupidity in others coz there may be more to the obvious. Instead, I'll enjoin U̶̲̥̅̊ to focus more on how ur ways can be meaningful to strangers even with strange doctrines or language and your neighbors hence the name of God be praised.

I rest  case

1 Like

Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by dorleey(f): 1:18pm On Nov 11, 2012
Has anyone ever seen the Image of God the Father i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ any Catholic church? Before U̶̲̥̅̊ blackmail, always gather Your facts.
Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by Nobody: 1:27pm On Nov 11, 2012
ijawkid:

There chukwu goes again with joshua and the copper serpent....

When you presumpteously make carvings and images for worship you are practicing idolatry......

Who commanded you to make the mouldings of mary??who??.....

And I guess you bowed down to that disgusting image numeours times today all in the name of worshipping God.....

Oh I forgot.....you also counted your prayer beads today......

Ol man please answer my questions.Did Joshua,moses and the isrealites commit idolatory? Did God give them permission to commit idolatory? Can God give one permission to sin?
Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by chucky234(m): 1:35pm On Nov 11, 2012
Kslib:
Your mumu na die!! Inshort,i hereby name you MUSA Muhammed(hausa name)...... Musiwa Mukinatu(youruba name).... Mumunus Ibekwe(igbo name).....
laughing @Mumunus Ibekwe
Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by tinnymerit(m): 1:36pm On Nov 11, 2012
Deivid10: Check it out... @Op u must be a 7th day advent... Its nw so obvious that they(advent) n d catholics ve nt yet reconcile their differences... I knw u re talkin to them directly
help me ask him the difference btw HOLY MARY and ELLEN G.WHITE.I solely blieve in not worshipping images in the form of God,even mary was not given any priority in the bible.Catholic was a religion called MARIAM then in the 14th century,pls confirm the facts.dont want to say more than that.
Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by Shankboye(m): 1:36pm On Nov 11, 2012
Can u guys please use ur senses for once? If I hv my fathers picture in my house, it is because it is my father, how did christians come about the image of jesus or mary? Sure there were no photograph of him taking den. For d sake of argument, let's say jesus is God, is it right to represent our God with just ordinary picture of somebody? Ask ur pastors dis question of who is really is in dat picture..is he really Jesus or Mary.. Pls use ur common sense before u consult ur bible.. Dis religion is not even adding up atall, am sorry for saying that, but it is d truth
Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by ladman(m): 1:45pm On Nov 11, 2012
stronger: Com'on guys. This is a no-brainer!
If you have a portrait of your mum at home,does that automatically mean she is an IDOL you are worshipping?
Let's stop mixing things up. Nothing wrong with having images or portraits as long as d only person u worship is God!

Happy Sunday, Stronger, tell them, those that do not know. Portraits and Images are not worshiped.
Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by chuqudy(m): 1:47pm On Nov 11, 2012
forkinsonlolo: we dont suppose to have image in the house of the Lord, it is God house for God sake

God commanded Solomon to make statues of two winged creatures in the Temple of Jerusalem. One at the left hand side of the Ark of the covenant and the other at the right hand side. In the book of Hebrews, St. Paul explained that the two statues represent the presence of God. Actually, I have nothing against those who see pictures and statues of Jesus, Angels and Saints as wrong thing. Such people are speaking from their own understanding and their low level of knowledge of the bible and history. God edits every one's prayers as well as conscience. Someone who is worshiping somebody or something as God other than God knows that he is doing wrong thing. I as a catholic respect images and statues that represent glorious beings. But the Church teaches no one to worship the images. However, there are agents of satan who go about preaching that Roman Catholics and orthodox Catholics worship images. They say this and other things to make their own fake churches boom. The use of image in worship has been there over 1000 years before Protestantism. And God has been with the early Christians. Is it now that the images of Angels and Saints of God would begin to annoy God? Answer me you all false and end time preachers.
Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by bongila(f): 2:00pm On Nov 11, 2012
Again the story of the copper snake. The bible Specifically told us that Moses was COMMANDED to put up the snake for the SOLE purpose of HEALING of the snake bite. Like seriously people should learn to think for themselves.
Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by afroxyz: 2:16pm On Nov 11, 2012
Then why do you guys pray to Mary?
Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by publisher(m): 2:25pm On Nov 11, 2012
I guess the only 'graven image' Nigerian protestants are Okay with is that of a PRIVATE JET.

1 Like

Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by ouigy99(m): 2:28pm On Nov 11, 2012
Maybe i have been reading a different Bible. In Numbers 21:8, The LORD said to Moses, "Make a snake and put it up on a pole; anyone who is bitten can look at it and live." The early Christians, also used the fish sign to identify themselves when Emperor Nero persecuted them.
Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by realsammie(m): 2:32pm On Nov 11, 2012
I am not a catholic but i dont see anything wrong having an image of God in the church. the truth is that this images serve as a remainder especially the image of christ on the cross.
We dont worship this image but God almighty.
Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by chuqudy(m): 2:32pm On Nov 11, 2012
afroxyz: Then why do you guys pray to Mary?

We ask Mary to pray to Jesus for us just like she did for the apostles in the marriage at Cana. We ask Mary to pray for us just like you ask your mortal pastor to pray for you. We believe in the communion with the saints. May be your problem is that you do not believe that you can communicate with Angels and Saints of God. If Mary Can't hear our communication to her, then Jesus would see our prayers as prayers made with humility(since we sometimes see ourselves not worthy to talk to Him directly). Remember, God edits all our prayers. Since a lot of miracles have been recorded and is still happening through the intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary, that proves that God answers our prayers.
Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by KENESAGA(m): 2:43pm On Nov 11, 2012
forkinsonlolo: we dont suppose to have image in the house of the Lord, it is God house for God sake
SAYS WHO? GO AND READ ABOUT THE ARK OF THE CONVENBNT, SAPENT MADE BY MOSES. HAVING IMAGE IS NOT WORSHIPING IMAGE.
Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by ouigy99(m): 2:43pm On Nov 11, 2012
Maybe i have been reading a different Bible. In Numbers 21:8, The LORD said to Moses, "Make a snake and put it up on a pole; anyone who is bitten can look at it and live." I feel that cus of the stubborn nature of humans, we tend to disbelieve in the existence of God, that is why images are used.The early Christians, also used the fish sign to identify themselves when Emperor Nero persecuted them. The only problem i do have is the depiction of Jesus... because as Levine says, " Beyond being Jewish, there is no general scholarly agreement on the ethnicity of Jesus"

Reference:
Amy-Jill Levine in The Historical Jesus in Context edited by Amy-Jill Levine et al. Princeton Univ Press ISBN 978-0-691-00992-6
Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by monalicious(f): 2:45pm On Nov 11, 2012
Whatever it is,that seems to take God's place in ur heart,is an idol.some people prefer to watch a football match,on a sunday morning,because d match is a live show,that act indirectly,is bowing to an idol.it doesn't hv to be physical or an image,although,some people miss it and start venerating the idol,but I don't think that's d intention,and that's where my quarrel comes,d presence of these images mislead people,so I think they should be removed from the church.
Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by KENESAGA(m): 2:47pm On Nov 11, 2012
bbpreye.:

I guess u're catholic! The instruction was don't make any! Don't make any! The truth is bitter ooooh! Don't make, don't bow! Simple english.
IF SO WHY DO U DO SNAP PICS. IS IT NOT AN IMAGE?
Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by bursturbrain(m): 2:50pm On Nov 11, 2012
catholics are not being entirely truthful, please refute dis my claims if dey are not true.
1. If you enter your church and dere is a cross in middle of d church dont you bow and do sign of cross, whether you enter frm west or east or south door you always bow and make sign of cross
2. My cousin one day korokoro wen no one was around stopped front of a jesus picture in d parlor and started talkin to it, like thru it she wil reach Jesus, i den asked wat you doin she lied nothin,
3. Der is dis joke wen small dat dey said horse passed a statue of mary and d horse bow, dont you catholics kneel and pray b4 mary statue in ur church
4 even in western movies normal normal u see dose mexicans kneel and pray to jesus statue dey KNEEL AND PRAY LOOKIN UP TO IT AS THOUGH JESUS WAS THERE AT DAT TIME PLS WAT DIFF IS DIS FROM WAT HAPPENED WHEN SHEDRAACH AND CO REFUSED TO BOW TO STATUE OF NEBUCHADNEZZAR, remember dey refused to bow to dat image and God God sent angel to save dem, tel me how u catholics are any diff frm d babylon folks
Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by davehall: 2:51pm On Nov 11, 2012
I bet u .U are not a catholic and u can never be.And i ges u never have a picture.
Youngzedd:

The guy is saying the truth naa.

I was born in Catholic church and am still there, I went to 7am mass.

"You shall know the truth and only the truth shall set you free"

Remember the scripture said you shall not add or remove.

I do attend church programs but I will NEVER worship idol, I will never bow to the images we have in church.
To avoid Gods' wrath.

Always open ur bible atleat 5 times in a week.

Don't be deceived.
Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by dozern(m): 2:54pm On Nov 11, 2012
to start with, catholics are neither woshiping Mary nor any image of the saints. We honour them pls. But remember that catholics have no image representing God Head. We human are image of God. Gen 1:26. Again, u as a christian should know dat When Mary(nt of the mother )wiped the face of Jesus while carrying the cross to Calvary, the face image of Jesus appeared on the handkerchief or cloth. Its still there in jeruselem. We appreciate the fact that God commands us of worshiping image in the old testament due to the sturburn heart of the isrealites. No one woships any other gods but God. We honor our saints who died for God. And we wil keep honoring them, even those killd by BH in service to God.
Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by KENESAGA(m): 2:56pm On Nov 11, 2012
@Youngzedd WHO AR U FOOLING? IF WHAT CATHOLIC IS DOING IS WRONG THEN FIND UR WAY. IF U AR A CATHOLIC AT ALL, THEN U DON'T KNOW UR TEACHINGS. GO AND MEET UR PRIEST 4 CLARIFICATION B4 U ROT IN HELL. THEIRS NO IDOLATORY IN CATHOLIC TEACHINGS.
Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by bursturbrain(m): 2:59pm On Nov 11, 2012
KENESAGA: SAYS WHO? GO AND READ ABOUT THE ARK OF THE CONVENBNT, SAPENT MADE BY MOSES. HAVING IMAGE IS NOT WORSHIPING IMAGE.

Guy haba ur a true catholic dont you do morning devotion in front of statue of mary and jesus and angel, talk true you hav dose images and stil you pray facing it, if a neighbor come and pick dat thing up wont you shout at him cos deep down dat image means a lot to ya, if you see image of jesus dont you do sign of d cross, be sincere you own dose idols and stil worship it, you wear chaplets around ur neck kiss it and believe ur den protected is dat not jazz abi idol
Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by KENESAGA(m): 3:09pm On Nov 11, 2012
[quote author=Shankboye]how did christians come about the image of jesus or mary? Sure there were no photograph of him taking den? OK THEN, HOW DID PENTICOSTALS COME ABOUT THE ""POSTURE"" OF HOLY GHOST AS A DOVE THEY ARE USING 2DAY? THINK BRO.
Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by Nobody: 3:14pm On Nov 11, 2012
chuqudy:

God commanded Solomon to make statues of two winged creatures in the Temple of Jerusalem. One at the left hand side of the Ark of the covenant and the other at the right hand side. In the book of Hebrews, St. Paul explained that the two statues represent the presence of God. Actually, I have nothing against those who see pictures and statues of Jesus, Angels and Saints as wrong thing. Such people are speaking from their own understanding and their low level of knowledge of the bible and history. God edits every one's prayers as well as conscience. Someone who is worshiping somebody or something as God other than God knows that he is doing wrong thing. I as a catholic respect images and statues that represent glorious beings. But the Church teaches no one to worship the images. However, there are agents of satan who go about preaching that Roman Catholics and orthodox Catholics worship images. They say this and other things to make their own fake churches boom. The use of image in worship has been there over 1000 years before Protestantism. And God has been with the early Christians. Is it now that the images of Angels and Saints of God would begin to annoy God? Answer me you all false and end time preachers.

There is no basis in the Bible to make the images of cross, Jesus, Mary or saints, whatever you do with such images. What images Moses and others made in the temple was done after God expressly told them to do so and such does not apply. Christians are to worship God in spirit and truth - objects are not needed. We live by faith, not by sight - 2Cor5:7. Images are completely unnecessary in a Christian's religious life. Neither Christ nor his apostles used images to remind themselves to do the right thing.

1 Like

Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by KENESAGA(m): 3:21pm On Nov 11, 2012
[quote author=bursturbrain ]

Guy haba ur a true catholic dont you do morning devotion in front of statue of mary and jesus and angel, THERE'S NO EXPLANATION I'LL GIVE 2 CONVINCE U. JUST WORSHIP GOD UR WAY WHILE I DO D SAME. GOD IS THE JUDGE NOT US
Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by chuqudy(m): 3:24pm On Nov 11, 2012
TroGunn:

There is no basis in the Bible to make the images of cross, Jesus, Mary or saints, whatever you do with such images. What images Moses and others made in the temple was done after God expressly told them to do so and such does not apply. Christians are to worship God in spirit and truth - objects are not needed. We live by faith, not by sight - 2Cor5:7. Images are completely unnecessary in a Christian's religious life. Neither Christ nor his apostles used images to remind themselves to do the right thing.

It might be unnecessary to you but it is necessary to others. You are reasoning in a different direction. The early Christians who started it has a reason for that. God did not start talking to people today. St. Paul's handkerchief drove demons away. St. Peters shadow cured the sick. God works in mysterious ways. St. Peter's shadow was an image. People ran to it so that his shadow could cast on them. So, shut up. By the way, why do you make pictures of yourself since "God" told you not to make images.
Re: Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship by Ugomanitee: 3:31pm On Nov 11, 2012
abi

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

256 Odu Ifa ~ Ifa Religion / Pastor Chris Denounces The Divinity Of Jesus Christ / Ghosts, Spirits, Paranormal Entities, Are They Real?(Warning).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.