Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,043 members, 7,825,311 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 11:25 AM

Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert (14806 Views)

Before Or After Breakfast? / Dizzy After Breakfast........ Doctors In The House Plz Comment! / Do You Brush Before Or After Breakfast? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by Alexanda07(m): 12:23pm On Nov 11, 2012
Dr.(Mrs.)Dumebi Owa, a Dental Surgeon and trained health counsellor, is a multiple Masters Degree holder in Public Health, Environmental Management and Public Administration. After her first degree at the University of Ibadan, she had gone to the UK where she got married and had her children.

While there, she worked as a Market Researcher, and since her return to Nigeria with her family, she has pitched her tent with the Ministry of Defence. In this interview, Dr.Dumebi who is also the current President of the Medical Women’s Association, Nigeria-MWAN, Lagos Chapter, laments poor dental health awareness in Nigeria and speaks on MWAN’s activities, among sundry issues.

From your experience, how much awareness do you think Nigerians have about dental health?

Health wise, Nigerians are poorly informed, but when it comes to dental healthcare, it is worse. Dental health awareness in Nigeria is very low, and that’s why I like talking to people about it at every given opportunity. How many of us know that we’re supposed to brush our teeth after breakfast and not before breakfast?

Yes, you ought to have brushed before going to bed at night because the essence of brushing is to remove the food particles in your mouth! When you eat and get full, you rush to the toilet to pass out wastes, and that’s also what happens in your mouth! We all have millions of micro-organisms in our mouth, so, when we eat and leave food particles there, it is like we’ve called them to party!

They will eat, get full, and then pass out wastes in the form of acid, which then starts decaying the tooth and leaving you with mouth odours and others. Actually, I’ve noticed an increase in incidences of caries and other tooth ailments because our diet has changed; with a lot of junk food all-over town.

We’re what we eat, so, this is affecting our teeth. The mouth happens to be the mirror of the body, and that’s why you could even detect certain diseases by examining the mouth. There’s a lot of hardwork to be done on health issues in this part of the world. Government cannot do it all; people should learn to support in their little ways. If foreigners could contribute their hard-earned money to send down to us as aid in Nigeria, why can’t the rich among us also help the less privileged?

Source:
www.vanguardngr.com/2012/11/brush-after-breakfast-not-before/

4 Likes

Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by Nobody: 2:40pm On Nov 11, 2012
??
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by TableLeg(m): 2:40pm On Nov 11, 2012
Ok .. that is what i do anyway!

3 Likes

Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by salam001(m): 2:44pm On Nov 11, 2012
Hahaha,me dey do am since,i eat before brushing
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by ASANIGBO(m): 2:44pm On Nov 11, 2012
How true is she?
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by Iaz93: 2:45pm On Nov 11, 2012
Nice. . .i'll start brushing after every meal
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by catchcold1(m): 2:47pm On Nov 11, 2012
Do not believe everything u see on the internet because it has a quote attached to it.
-socretes.
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by ASANIGBO(m): 2:48pm On Nov 11, 2012
I brush b4 i eat joor grin
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by Saintsquare(m): 2:48pm On Nov 11, 2012
Food for tot
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by Lexusgs430: 2:49pm On Nov 11, 2012
Why not brush before and after, has toothpaste become golddust? And where possible, after each meal !!!

1 Like

Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by Kslib(m): 2:49pm On Nov 11, 2012
Yes,that's what i do.. Brush after meal,and brush to bed.. When you even wake-up in the morning,your breath will still be fresh.. But make sure you dont brush after drinking garr! Cos the toothpaste will react with what we call garrisuphilisun ijebuguma found in garr! and render the active ingredient useless.. So just rinse ya mouth with water after smoking garr!..
Remember,one cup of garr! A day keeps evil spirit/badluck away...

38 Likes

Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by Super1759: 2:49pm On Nov 11, 2012
Toothpaste companies are misleading us.
Media adverts say make we brush as we wakeup( infact before you. Pray sef)
Then brush 3 times everyday.
*try it in our house, you will replace another toothpaste for us*

7 Likes

Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by ARareGem(f): 2:55pm On Nov 11, 2012
Since when? The general knowledge is sand-paper scrub your teeth with charcoal first thing in the morning and last thing before bed. So where did this come from? undecided

1 Like

Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by slap1(m): 2:57pm On Nov 11, 2012
I can't even swallow anything in the morning till I brush my teeth.

3 Likes

Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by elampiro(m): 2:58pm On Nov 11, 2012
Taking breakfast with dirty mouth.
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by dre44k(m): 3:00pm On Nov 11, 2012
I'm so addicted to this, I do feel lazy brushing my teeth before taking my breakfast, so I rather mouth wash with water only, then brush my teeth proper after eating my breakfast.

1 Like

Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by Nobody: 3:00pm On Nov 11, 2012
Yes, that is the right thing to do. But that is as long as one brushes ones teeth after dinner the previous night.

1 Like

Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by slap1(m): 3:01pm On Nov 11, 2012
catch_cold: Do not believe everything u see on the internet because it has a quote attached to it.
-socretes.
Socrates? DID HE WITNESS THE INTERNET?

5 Likes

Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by ohisola(f): 3:03pm On Nov 11, 2012
Alexanda07: D

[b]From your experience, how much awareness do you think Nigerians have about dental health?

Health wise, Nigerians are poorly informed, but when it comes to dental healthcare, it is worse. Dental health awareness in Nigeria is very low, and that’s why I like talking to people about it at every given opportunity. How many of us know that we’re supposed to brush our teeth after breakfast and not before breakfast?

Yes, you ought to have brushed before going to bed at night/

So many pple are of d opinion dat u eat brkfast b4 brushing, leaving out d part of brushing b4 u sleep. Thereby eatin al d james and john dat hav stayed overnit in their mouth. grin grin . the thruth is if u brush b4 sleeping, u stil got a fresh breath wen u wake in d mony.
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by cupid4ig(m): 3:04pm On Nov 11, 2012
[b][/b]all this kids here shouting 1st and 2nd to comment pls u guys should grow up.this is nairaland is turning to small pikin site smh embarassed
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by Smartjeezy(m): 3:05pm On Nov 11, 2012
What about people going to work around 4:00am,are they gonna eat breakfast too before brushing their tooths?

1 Like

Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by omicron(m): 3:07pm On Nov 11, 2012
Brushing after eating is the correct thing, cos the essense of tooth brushing basically, is to remove food particles which plaque the teeth after meals and encourage the growth of bacteria thereby causing dental carries (tooth decay). If you must brush before eating, then you must also brush immediately after eating. Otherwise the best practice is to rinse your mouth with clean water after waking up in the morning, believing that you have done the right thing of brushing after supper too. Brushing before eating is comparable to cleaning one's a*s*s before using the toilet! You can quote me on that

4 Likes

Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by Smartjeezy(m): 3:07pm On Nov 11, 2012
cupid4ig: [b][/b]all this kids here shouting 1st and 2nd to comment pls u guys should grow up.this is nairaland is turning to small pikin site smh embarassed
don't mind them jare.They are mental handicap
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by Nobody: 3:08pm On Nov 11, 2012
Hmm. I brush as soon as i wake up that's before eating. so WTF is this woman saying.
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by Nobody: 3:11pm On Nov 11, 2012
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by zibe(m): 3:12pm On Nov 11, 2012
I've been following this ever since I lost a tooth some years back.
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by 360command: 3:15pm On Nov 11, 2012
na to dey use charcoal dey brush after meal!
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by denzel2009: 3:16pm On Nov 11, 2012
Smart jeezy: What about people going to work around 4:00am,are they gonna eat breakfast too before brushing their tooth?

Na one tooth you get?

2 Likes

Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by Nobody: 3:17pm On Nov 11, 2012
Asaba man: third to comment....wil try harder next tym...cool

Asaba man, u no dey tire? ....lol. Why not open your own thread & comment in whatever position u like?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Resident Doctors Proceed On Indefinite Strike, Reject FG's Offer / Doctors At Ebola Isolation Center In Lagos Say N1.9bn Promised By The FG Was Nev / Woman Swallows Tapeworm To Lose Weight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.