Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,521 members, 7,819,879 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:44 AM

Lagos Accounts For 65% Of Nigeria's Non Oil GDP - Fashola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Accounts For 65% Of Nigeria's Non Oil GDP - Fashola (5799 Views)

Lagos Controls 50.7% Of Non Oil Gdp,has About 2000 Industrial Complexes... / CBN Sources Reveal How It Operated Accounts For Dasuki, Other Government Agencie / Atiku Is 65% Sure Of Winning APC Ticket- Campaign DG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Accounts For 65% Of Nigeria's Non Oil GDP - Fashola by edoyad(m): 10:27pm On Nov 11, 2012
>>
Re: Lagos Accounts For 65% Of Nigeria's Non Oil GDP - Fashola by edoyad(m): 10:28pm On Nov 11, 2012
edoyad: http://www.osundefender.org/?p=61235

batunde Fashola of Lagos State on Sunday said the state accounts for over 65 per cent of nation’s non-oil Gross Domestic Product. Fashola state this at the closing ceremony of the 2012 Lagos International Trade Fair, the News Agency of Nigeria reports. The theme of the fair was: “Promoting Trade for Sustainable Economic Transformation.” Fashola, who was represented by the Deputy Governor, Mrs. Adejoke Adefulire, said that in spite of its small size, Lagos State also accounted for over 60 per cent of the country’s value added manufacturing. “The state has been projected to be Africa’s largest mega city and the world’s third largest by 2015 according to a United Nations Habitat report.” According to him, Lagos State will continue to be the industrial, financial, telecommunications, transportation and commercial hub of the country. He urged the Lagos State Chamber of Commerce and Industry to help in planning entrepreneurship programmes for okada riders as the state’s traffic law banning them had come to stay. Fashola said that the state government was willing to support the private sector in this regard. He said that the state had a micro finan.. . . .
Re: Lagos Accounts For 65% Of Nigeria's Non Oil GDP - Fashola by remzytimer: 11:04pm On Nov 11, 2012
Will this put food on common man's table? Lagos is so crowded and their's no job
Re: Lagos Accounts For 65% Of Nigeria's Non Oil GDP - Fashola by edoyad(m): 11:25pm On Nov 11, 2012
^^ Of course it puts food in the mouth of the Common Man. imagine if tbe state was as useless as the rest, how many people would even have Jobs/ businesses in the private sector.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Accounts For 65% Of Nigeria's Non Oil GDP - Fashola by nduchucks: 11:32pm On Nov 11, 2012
@OP, stop spreading untruths initiated by suspicious journalists. What Fashola said was that he believes that Lagos State accounts for up to 65% of non-oil GDP, but we do not have any data to support the statement. If the OP has any data to support Fashola's claims, please post.

I counter Fashola's statement by stating that Kano State accounts for more than the percentage contributed by Lagos state.

For the ignorant folks, note that Agricuulture contributed 40% to the Real GDP and if you look at non oil GDP alone, that contribution will be higher than 40%. It is ridiculous and deceptive to make a bogus claim that Lagos State contributes 65% to non oil GDP.

You can verify 2012 Q2 GDP Report here. Go to Table 6: 2011 and Q1—Q2 2012 Real Gross Domestic Product (Constant 1990): Sectoral Contribution & Growth Rate (Percentages) section and see for yourselves.

I don't know why politicians lie like this.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Accounts For 65% Of Nigeria's Non Oil GDP - Fashola by edoyad(m): 12:30am On Nov 12, 2012
ndu_chucks: @OP, stop spreading untruths initiated by suspicious journalists. What Fashola said was that he believes that Lagos State accounts for up to 65% of non-oil GDP, but we do not have any data to support the statement. If the OP has any data to support Fashola's claims, please post.

I counter Fashola's statement by stating that Kano State accounts for more than the percentage contributed by Lagos state.

For the ignorant folks, note that Agricuulture contributed 40% to the Real GDP and if you look at non oil GDP alone, that contribution will be higher than 40%. It is ridiculous and deceptive to make a bogus claim that Lagos State contributes 65% to non oil GDP.

You can verify 2012 Q2 GDP Report here. Go to Table 6: 2011 and Q1—Q2 2012 Real Gross Domestic Product (Constant 1990): Sectoral Contribution & Growth Rate (Percentages) section and see for yourselves.

Even from that suspicious data you produced from the NBS, one can easily see sectors dominated by lagos adding up to 65% of non oil GDP. Isnt that the same NBS that claims there are more people in kano than Lagos?
Telecoms, Manufacturing, trade, Financial institutions are primarily found where?

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Accounts For 65% Of Nigeria's Non Oil GDP - Fashola by nduchucks: 12:48am On Nov 12, 2012
edoyad:

Even from that suspicious data you produced from the NBS, one can easily see sectors dominated by lagos adding up to 65% of non oil GDP. Isnt that the same NBS that claims there are more people in kano than Lagos?
Telecoms, Manufacturing, trade, Financial institutions are primarily found where?

Oga, where did you and Fashola get your 65% from? If Fashola was referring to our GDP, who provides that data to the public? If not NBS, would it be the witches and wizards organization of Nigeria?

If Agric alone contribute almost 50% to non oil GDP, how can you say Lagos state alone contributes 65%? I am not going to waste my time with you because you don't know how to read simple tabular data or do simple arithmetic.

abeg make we hear word.
Re: Lagos Accounts For 65% Of Nigeria's Non Oil GDP - Fashola by manny4life(m): 12:59am On Nov 12, 2012
Na wa o, spreading false information...smh

Oil represents about 13% of Nigeria's GDP which is about $260billiion, that's $33.8 of Oil GDP. The remainder ($260 - $33.8 = $226.2) of non-oil GDP. Unless Lagos has a GDP of about $147billion, please, Fashola should stick to what he knows - governing. He's isn't very good at quoting figures, to the very least, solving basic math before letting out another gaffe like Romney.
Re: Lagos Accounts For 65% Of Nigeria's Non Oil GDP - Fashola by edoyad(m): 1:06am On Nov 12, 2012
ndu_chucks:

Oga, where did you and Fashola get your 65% from? If Fashola was referring to our GDP, who provides that data to the public? If not NBS, would it be the witches and wizards organization of Nigeria?

If Agric alone contribute almost 50% to non oil GDP, how can you say Lagos state alone contributes 65%? I am not going to waste my time with you because you don't know how to read simple tabular data or do simple arithmetic.

abeg make we hear word.

And you think any sane Human being would doubt anything out of Fashola's over what you say here?
Do the C I A get their information from the NBS too?
May be you're the ones who need to go back to school to learn the meaning of "accounts for"
Re: Lagos Accounts For 65% Of Nigeria's Non Oil GDP - Fashola by nduchucks: 1:13am On Nov 12, 2012
I remain doubtful of Fashola's claim and I have provided you with data which do not support that claim. Please support your own claim with credible data. There is no need to argue about this. When I see credible data which is contrary to the GDP data provided by our government, then I will be more than happy to admit that I erred. So far, I remain unconvinced.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Accounts For 65% Of Nigeria's Non Oil GDP - Fashola by manny4life(m): 1:16am On Nov 12, 2012
edoyad:

And you think any sane Human being would doubt anything out of Fashola's over what you say here?
Do the C I A get their information from the NBS too?
May be you're the ones who need to go back to school to learn the meaning of "accounts for"

Unfortunately, you're still blowing hot air.

Since you're his mouth piece, oya, back up his claims.

Besides, CIA world fact book depend on local agencies such as NBS, and international organizations such as the World Bank Group and IMF. On that note, if you go to the IMF World Economic Output Report, there are footnotes, perhaps, disclaimer stating that they largely depend on national reporting agencies for data. So please, get your facts straight. NBS may not have it altogether, but their data is somewhat of a guide to where the nations economic output level is at.
Re: Lagos Accounts For 65% Of Nigeria's Non Oil GDP - Fashola by edoyad(m): 1:26am On Nov 12, 2012
ndu_chucks: I remain doubtful of Fashola's claim and I have provided you with data which do not support that claim. Please support your own claim with credible data. There is no need to argue about this. When I see credible data which is contrary to the GDP data provided by our government, then I will be more than happy to admit that I erred. So far, I remain unconvinced.

I'm not on NL to convince or dissuade you, I'm here for people who reason alike. It's not a fluke that Lagos is virtually the only functioning State in the same Country where there are States existing in Mogadishu like conditions smiley
Re: Lagos Accounts For 65% Of Nigeria's Non Oil GDP - Fashola by ektbear: 1:29am On Nov 12, 2012
65% of non-oil is too high. manny4life's estimate shows why (though I thought oil was more like 20-30% of GDP, not 13%).
Re: Lagos Accounts For 65% Of Nigeria's Non Oil GDP - Fashola by ektbear: 1:30am On Nov 12, 2012
ndu_chucks:

lmao cheesy grin

And Zimbabwe is richer than Canada

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Accounts For 65% Of Nigeria's Non Oil GDP - Fashola by nduchucks: 1:31am On Nov 12, 2012
ekt_bear:

lmao cheesy grin

And Zimbabwe is richer than Canada

Why not? sebi we are plucking numbers from thin air ni.
Re: Lagos Accounts For 65% Of Nigeria's Non Oil GDP - Fashola by manny4life(m): 2:06am On Nov 12, 2012
ekt_bear: 65% of non-oil is too high. manny4life's estimate shows why (though I thought oil was more like 20-30% of GDP, not 13%).

Oil NEVER crossed 20%, let alone 30% range, who dash oil?

Let's reverse the calculation,

According to the Nigerian budget, Nigeria has a 2.38million bpd @ $75 benchmark qty and price. Assuming that Nigeria sold 2.38million bpd x 365days per yr, that's 868.7million barrels sold annually. Multiply that number by the benchmark price of $75, that's 65152.5 million OR $65billion+ annually. I know, you're like damn, that's a lot, but keep in mind that Nigeria is in contract with Oil firms to share the barrels lifted daily by like 60-40, although I'm not so certain about the % but close. Assuming that Nigeria takes home 60% of oil lifted and sells at benchmark price of $75, that about $39billion.

Unfortunately, there are mitigating constraints that has to be taken into consideration, as well as other factors you and I do not know of. If you consider all these factors, say one day that Nigeria shuts down oil field and do not lift oil, Nigeria looses about $100million, so do the math. You will see by the time you adjust for limits and constraints, we're floating back to same figure of $33 to $35billion of Oil GDP.
Re: Lagos Accounts For 65% Of Nigeria's Non Oil GDP - Fashola by NegroNtns(m): 2:46am On Nov 12, 2012
Space reserved to counter productivity estimates, oil and non-oil.

Fyi....revenue and productivity in oil sector is calculated usinfga forecast and not the actuals.
Re: Lagos Accounts For 65% Of Nigeria's Non Oil GDP - Fashola by manny4life(m): 2:55am On Nov 12, 2012
What difference does it make, forecast or actual?

Besides, who on this thread was talking about actual?

Please, produce your calculations that's shows otherwise.

On that note, I thought when forecasting, you make fair assumptions?
Re: Lagos Accounts For 65% Of Nigeria's Non Oil GDP - Fashola by funkymedina: 7:40am On Nov 12, 2012
If you keep chasing away non indigineous people away from Lagos it will drop to 0,1 percent
Re: Lagos Accounts For 65% Of Nigeria's Non Oil GDP - Fashola by Nobody: 7:46am On Nov 12, 2012
edoyad:

I'm not on NL to convince or dissuade you, I'm here for people who reason alike. It's not a fluke that Lagos is virtually the only functioning State in the same Country where there are States existing in Mogadishu like conditions smiley

Others are making their points and backing it up with figures. You are here throwing sentiments.

Why would you dispute Kano and the entire North? Where does majority of the food you eat come from ?

People come from far and wide chad, niger, cameroon and even from the deserts to buy goods from us here.

If there were to be a slight chaos in Lagos, the economy would collapse overnight. But despite the carnage in the north, their economy is still resillent and things cheap compared to your paradise.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Accounts For 65% Of Nigeria's Non Oil GDP - Fashola by Callotti: 7:57am On Nov 12, 2012
I don't believe this.
Not credible if you have visited Lagos State in the past 5 years!
Nice try! kiss

Lagos State also accounted for over 60 per cent of the country’s value added manufacturing.

COCAINE INDUSTRIES? grin
Even Baba Suwe is a 'manufacturer' ke! cheesy
Mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeew!
Noisy Fashola in the news again.
After kissing his wife. . . he loses his senses.
He needs to stick with his concubines for the real 'zing'! cheesy
Re: Lagos Accounts For 65% Of Nigeria's Non Oil GDP - Fashola by edoyad(m): 8:03am On Nov 12, 2012
Olodostein:

Others are making their points and backing it up with figures. You are here throwing sentiments.

Why would you dispute Kano and the entire North? Where does majority of the food you eat come from ?

People come from far and wide chad, niger, cameroon and even from the deserts to buy goods from us here.

If there were to be a slight chaos in Lagos, the economy would collapse overnight. But despite the carnage in the north, their economy is still resillent and things cheap compared to your paradise.

And what part of the country do you think I'm in right now? And thanks for the what you just said up there. Isn't the fact that in spite of the total break down of some so called Agricultural states, the country's Economy is growing well a clear indication that they impact Nigeria's economy minimally.
Re: Lagos Accounts For 65% Of Nigeria's Non Oil GDP - Fashola by guddy4real: 8:08am On Nov 12, 2012
remzytimer: Will this put food on common man's table? Lagos is so crowded and their's no job
My broda help me ask them o.....pls checkout this Make gud cash without stressin urself visit http://www./register.php?r=goodnews>Make Easy Money Online In Nigeria It's Easy.
Re: Lagos Accounts For 65% Of Nigeria's Non Oil GDP - Fashola by nduchucks: 8:17am On Nov 12, 2012
I find this new trend by Lagos State officials including their Governor, Fashola, of deceiving the public with bogus statistics, quite disturbing. Only a day or two ago, Commissioner of Transportation in Lagos State, Kayode Opeifa, claimed that Okada Accidents have Reduced By 95% In Lagos since the Okada ban was instituted. Kayode did not tell us how he arrived at the 95% figure or what study came up with it.

Now, the Governor, Fashola has now come up with his own statistics, provided by the Wiches and Wizards association of Lagos. This kind of narrow minded pronouncement and recent screwups by Fashola are quite disappointing.
Re: Lagos Accounts For 65% Of Nigeria's Non Oil GDP - Fashola by KINGwax(m): 8:19am On Nov 12, 2012
remzytimer: Will this put food on common man's table? Lagos is so crowded and their's no job
no job? Stop lookin for a white collar's job dude. The population of lagos and the diversity in ethnicity is a major advantage for you. Don't jes stand there drooping!
Re: Lagos Accounts For 65% Of Nigeria's Non Oil GDP - Fashola by Clerverly: 8:23am On Nov 12, 2012
ndu_chucks: @OP, stop spreading untruths initiated by suspicious journalists. What Fashola said was that he believes that Lagos State accounts for up to 65% of non-oil GDP, but we do not have any data to support the statement. If the OP has any data to support Fashola's claims, please post.

If your assertion was correct, my advice would be for you and your Never-Developed State to use that as your mainstay instead of being a parasite to other state's resources! Hope you got my drift
Re: Lagos Accounts For 65% Of Nigeria's Non Oil GDP - Fashola by blaqoracle: 8:29am On Nov 12, 2012
fashola should shut up. what Is Being Manufactured In Lagos? lagos Is Nothing but a foreign expansion in nigeria. the Companies In Lagos Are Either foreign owned or foreign controlled:swispharm, nigerian brewery, guinness, all the mega construction company,pfizer pattarson and zocchnis e.t.c are all foreign owned or controlled
Re: Lagos Accounts For 65% Of Nigeria's Non Oil GDP - Fashola by nduchucks: 8:29am On Nov 12, 2012
Clerverly:
If your assertion was correct, my advice would be for you and your Never-Developed State to use that as your mainstay instead of being a parasite to other state's resources! Hope you got my drift

Intellectual midgets find it difficult to make meaningful contributions to topics like this so they seek attention by making dumb statements like yours. You've received your 2 seconds of attention and fame, not get lost. mumu
Re: Lagos Accounts For 65% Of Nigeria's Non Oil GDP - Fashola by vanunu: 8:33am On Nov 12, 2012
People steal govt money (oil money)to establish in the non-oil sector. Therefore Fash should not Bragggg.
Re: Lagos Accounts For 65% Of Nigeria's Non Oil GDP - Fashola by NegroNtns(m): 8:34am On Nov 12, 2012
manny4life: What difference does it make, forecast or actual?

Besides, who on this thread was talking about actual?

Please, produce your calculations that's shows otherwise.

On that note, I thought when forecasting, you make fair assumptions?

Manny,

The reports you are reading use production output from all sectors to measure the aggregate gdp. To get a true picture of the economic state gdpperformance is distributed over a range of years. The national budget is issued on the contingency of historical performance in economic sectors. So that the expected oil output for 2013 is already known but the revenue may not be realized for another three years or more, after which it is trued-up and adjusted into the "real gdp". The output numbers in ndu_chucks table left out plenty of information and facts to correctly support his claim against edoyad's post and Fashola's statement.

You are not thoroughly groomed and grounded in the interpretation and meaning of what he presented....you bought into the data table being from a genuine source and so the facts of it is unchallengable.

You are trying to appear smart with your response and is quite evident how you quickly made it a Negro vs the rest of the respondents. I want you to stand on your own knowledge if you want to showcase your smartness.

Hey chucks.....You are at it again, aren't you? If you remove oil sector Lagos state will contend with FG on gdp....Kano is far behind. I have a report you should see, in fact....Im certain you have seen it and true to your bias viewpoint you deny the obvious.
Re: Lagos Accounts For 65% Of Nigeria's Non Oil GDP - Fashola by nduchucks: 8:38am On Nov 12, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

Hey chucks.....You are at it again, aren't you? If you remove oil sector Lagos state will contend with FG on gdp....Kano is far behind. I have a report you should see, in fact....Im certain you have seen it and true to your bias viewpoint you deny the obvious.

You don't need to dispute my sentence about Kano. Reread my post and response to ekt_bear and you'll see why. My main point is that Fashola's 65% is bogus.
Re: Lagos Accounts For 65% Of Nigeria's Non Oil GDP - Fashola by nozschy2k: 8:53am On Nov 12, 2012
Hey, i dnt undstand all this argument. whether true or not have the sufferings of the ordinary man not continued to increase. Thats wat really matters

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Do You Know Daniel Kanu-the Man That Campaigned For Abacha To Remain In Power / Today's Sad Reality / Middle Belt Of Nigeria Unveils Own Currency Note

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.