Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,371 members, 7,822,749 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:13 PM

Praying For The Dead - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Praying For The Dead (9117 Views)

Check Out This Picture Of A Pastor Praying For A Woman In Church. SCREENSHOT. / Doctor Prays Over Dead Patient, Raises Him From The Dead / Pastor Runs Mad While Praying For Mad Man In Ibadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Praying For The Dead by try69: 5:32am On Nov 17, 2012
Boomark:

I wondered in Francais. Judgement will have no meaning then.

Humans and their small brains now know how God will judge..smh

Reminds me of the word "IF MEN WERE GOD, EH".
Re: Praying For The Dead by Boomark(m): 7:53am On Nov 17, 2012
try69:

Humans and their small brains now know how God will judge..smh

Reminds me of the word "IF MEN WERE GOD, EH".

So tell me where it is written that when an evil man dies and you pray for him, God will forgive him and take him to heaven. If you are not assuming what God will do.

1 Like

Re: Praying For The Dead by Sike(m): 9:39am On Nov 17, 2012
IT'S ALWAYS ADVISABLE TO PRAY FOR THE DEAD.

1 Like

Re: Praying For The Dead by Boomark(m): 10:40am On Nov 17, 2012
Sike: IT'S ALWAYS ADVISABLE TO PRAY FOR THE DEAD.

who adviced you?
Re: Praying For The Dead by haibe(m): 11:45am On Nov 17, 2012
Sike: IT'S ALWAYS ADVISABLE TO PRAY FOR THE DEAD.

can you please explain better shocked
Re: Praying For The Dead by solbil: 12:50pm On Nov 17, 2012
bongila: If so,I should start praying for the soul of my uncle who died a MASON to be forgiven and accepted into heaven. HOGWASH.
so your uncle is in hell?
Re: Praying For The Dead by solbil: 12:56pm On Nov 17, 2012
ciphoenix: they did not perish in the flood
so did you save them? You watchtowerist!
Re: Praying For The Dead by Boomark(m): 1:17pm On Nov 17, 2012
solbil: so did you save them? You watchtowerist!

why didn't you pray for them before Christ preached to them? You d_ _dprayerist!
Re: Praying For The Dead by ciphoenix: 1:39pm On Nov 17, 2012
solbil: so did you save them? You watchtowerist!
check my previous posts
Re: Praying For The Dead by Kambinachi(f): 1:32am On Nov 18, 2012
chukwudi44: Prayers for the dead are mentioned in 2 macabees 12:38-45 and I John 5:16-17.But you have to have the bible with the completely canonised books to see the books of macabees.
this is 1 John 5: 16-17:

16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.

17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.

i don't see it saying anywhere to pray for the dead

2 Likes

Re: Praying For The Dead by linusbnn(m): 10:06am On Nov 18, 2012
frosbel:

Those Pagans will not listen !
Even d so called pentecostals dnt dey hold service for d dead b4. Laying to rest?so y are dey doing dat too??
Re: Praying For The Dead by haibe(m): 10:50am On Nov 18, 2012
Kambinachi: this is 1 John 5: 16-17:

16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.

17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.

i don't see it saying anywhere to pray for the dead

Help me tell chukwudi Oº°˚˚°ºh, am sure he has mis-interpreted the passage.
Re: Praying For The Dead by mollie12: 4:01pm On Nov 18, 2012
chukwudi44:

Ol man the bible already told us in 1 John 5:16-17 that not all sins lead to damnation and thus we should pray for our loved ones,do you have a problem with that? Do you think you know better than John who wrote that scriptural letter?

I tire for some peopleooo

1 John 5:16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.

Pls WHAT part of the above scripture justifies praying for the dead?!?

Or is that the right bible scripture u are quoting?

The Bible is a pretty straightforward book to read - just a cursory look at this scripture and the ones around it will let us know that there is absolutely nothing related to dead people here. Just ask the Holy Spirit for guidance as you read - there is no need to add stuff that isn't there.
Re: Praying For The Dead by mollie12: 4:20pm On Nov 18, 2012
The following scripture I'm posting is not exactly relevant to the topic but I'm hoping we will be able to learn something about the mind of God concerning death and its finality.

Ezekiel 3:
16 ... the word of the Lord came unto me, saying,

17 Son of man, I have made thee a watchman unto the house of Israel: therefore hear the word at my mouth, and give them warning from me.

18 When I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; and thou givest him not warning, nor speakest to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life; the same wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand.

20 Again, When a righteous man doth turn from his righteousness, and commit iniquity, and I lay a stumblingblock before him, he shall die: because thou hast not given him warning, he shall die in his sin, and his righteousness which he hath done shall not be remembered; but his blood will I require at thine hand.

If preaching to people before they died in their sin was not necessary as they could be prayed for when they died I don't think God would have needed to give this warning.
Re: Praying For The Dead by Boomark(m): 8:06pm On Nov 18, 2012
@mollie

Your quote is very very relevant. Only if they can read the warning from God, they will see what they can't change with their praying and fasting when a wicked man dies.

The have chosen to follow what the Pope want them to do by focusing on the bulletins he gave them.
Re: Praying For The Dead by Nobody: 5:03am On Nov 19, 2012
[/quote]17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death. [quote]

Can any one of you kindly explain what this verse says? What do you understand by praying for a sin that does not lead to death?

Some of you really thinks the death mentioned here is physical?
Re: Praying For The Dead by mollie12: 5:38am On Nov 19, 2012
chukwudi44: 17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.

Can any one of you kindly explain what this verse says? What do you understand by praying for a sin that does not lead to death?

And why do you think the death being referred to is not physical?
Re: Praying For The Dead by mollie12: 6:22am On Nov 19, 2012
chukwudi44: 17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.

Re: Praying For The Dead by Nobody: 8:10am On Nov 19, 2012
Te
mollie12:

And why do you think the death being referred to is not physical?

Tell me any sin you know which leads to physical death that we should not should not pray for the victim?

Or better still can you interprete that passage the way you understand it.
Re: Praying For The Dead by mollie12: 6:28pm On Nov 19, 2012
chukwudi44: Te

Tell me any sin you know which leads to physical death that we should not should not pray for the victim?

Or better still can you interprete that passage the way you understand it.

Its in the same bible that we find 'the wages of sin is death'.

And 'the soul that sinneth, it shall die'.

Because there is no contradiction in the Bible, clearly there are two different types of 'death' are being referred to.

The death in the 2 passages I quoted above is different from that in the passage you are referring to.

I'll leave you to figure out the rest of the equation by yourself - and find out which is which.
Re: Praying For The Dead by Nobody: 6:58pm On Nov 19, 2012
mollie12:

Its in the same bible that we find 'the wages of sin is death'.

And 'the soul that sinneth, it shall die'.

Because there is no contradiction in the Bible, clearly there are two different types of 'death' are being referred to.

The death in the 2 passages I quoted above is different from that in the passage you are referring to.

I'll leave you to figure out the rest of the equation by yourself - and find out which is which.

What makes you think the deaths mentined in those two passages are differant from the one referred to by John? You protestant and cherrypicking of scriptures.

You still have not yet answered my querstion

Re: Praying For The Dead by bongila(f): 5:03am On Nov 20, 2012
@Solbil,wherever he may be,he most definitely DOESN'T NEED my prayers. To tell me otherwise is plainly insulting my intelligence as a human being.
Re: Praying For The Dead by Nobody: 5:59am On Nov 20, 2012
Am still waiting for someone to answer my kweshions
Re: Praying For The Dead by Nobody: 7:54am On Nov 20, 2012
chukwudi44: Am still waiting for someone to answer my kweshions

Chukwudi I don't know too much but I know that that particular verse is talking about a sin which Jesus once refered to as the sin against the holy spirit which will never be forgiven. Besides that sin every other sin can be forgiven and John was asking us to pray for our brothers who have sinned and can be forgiven. If you are not forgiven it means death. I hope I answered your question.
Re: Praying For The Dead by mollie12: 6:48pm On Nov 20, 2012
chukwudi44:

What makes you think the deaths mentined in those two passages are differant from the one referred to by John? You protestant and cherrypicking of scriptures.

chukwudi44:

I think this is now an issue of comprehension of simple English.

A six-year old will be able to tell you the difference between the passages quoted. Maybe you should seek out one to help you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Does God Exist? [let's Switch Sides] / Feed On His Word By Pastor Adeboye / Revival Tonic Daily Devotional : Anointing Versus Skills

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.